New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Children of Heaven & Hell [3.5e Races]

These two races are variants of the Aasimar and Tiefling races. I wanted them to be +0 LA but I'm not sure if they are.
    Note: This is a race for my campaign setting Blades of Keran which is why it talks about Dunesti, Newesti and Karmainians.
    PEACH.

Aasimar
    Spoiler
    Show

Origin
    Aasimar are created when a Karmainian or Newesti child is either blessed by a Divine while in the womb, or one of the parents was a Divine being. It only happens with Karmainians & Newesti because in their genesis they were given a link to the Gods.

Personality
    Aasimar are normally charismatic as they can feel that power is within reach at all times. They are normally very egotisical because of their inborn abilities. They also get traits from their Divine parent. An Aasimar which had Dylian as a parent is more likely to be kind and generous, while on which had Jaccob as a parent would be more likely to become a sarcastic liar who tries to trick people. These traits often come with advantages and disadvantages. It is also worth taking note that an Aasimar doesn't have to take the personality traits of their divine parent, but they are more likely.

Physical Description
    Aasimar are partly descended from Karmainian stock, and this is reflected in their physique. They are only slightly taller than Karmainian men and women on average. Each is unique as its appearance depends on its Divine Parent.

E.g. An Aasimar of Dylian will normally have larger muscles and be bigger in size then an Aasimar of Jaccob, who is more likely to be thin and appear anorexic.

When an Aasimar is young its hard to tell the difference between an Aasimar and a Karmainian. This causes many problems in Elven homes when an Aasimar is born.

Relations
    Their relations with others depend on their Ancestor's. The Vithui probably would like an Aasimar descended from Electren hundred times more than a Aasimar descended from Rana.

Other people often judge an Aasimar on their parentage instead of how the Aasimar acts. Most common people tend to think that Aasimar all act exactly like their parent. These can have its upsides and downsides. An Aasimar of Dylian that steals things will probably be dismissed as a rumor. While if Undead is animated in a town basically everyone will think it was the Aasimar of Electren.

Alignment
    They normally have the same alignment of the Ancestor, but their are exceptions. Other Alignments are more common when an Aasimar wants to be seen in a different light to their Divine Relative. This means that any alignment is possible regardless of the Aasimar's Divine Heritage.

Lands
    Aasimar live were ever they were born. They have no lands of their own commonly living with Karmainians or Newesti. With most living in Kratoa, North Karma, and Estikar.

Religion
    They are paradoxically rarely religious as their ego normally stops them from seeing any reason to worship anyone else, let alone a family member.

Even if they aren't egotistical, they still aren't prone to worshiping a Divine being as they see the gods as equals.

Language
    All Aasimar are taught "Trade Tongue" and the languages of their native homeland. But they have no language of their own.

Names
    They are named like Karmainians because when they are babies it is hard to tell the difference between an Aasimar or Karmainian.

Racial Traits
    • Outsider (Native)
    • Medium: As Medium creatures, Aasimar have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    • Aasimar base land speed is 30 ft.
    • Divine Blood: An Aasimar must choose a deity. A bit of the Deities power is in the Aasimar's blood from birth. Once choosen this cannot be changed.
    • Low-Light Vision: An Aasimar can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. They retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
    • Inborn Magic (Sp): An Aasimar must select one domain from the Deity choosen in Divine Blood Domain List. The Aasimar can choose one spell from the list that is level two or lower and cast it once per day as a spell-like ability.
    • Inborn Skill: An Aasimar is very talented and gains two extra skill point at first level. They also gain one extra skill point at every level past 1st.
    • Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass Aasimar takes an experience point penalty, her highest-level class does not count

Tiefling
    Spoiler
    Show

Origin
    Tieflings are created when a Karmainian or Dunesti child is either damned by a Devil while in the womb, or one of the parents was a Fiendish being. It only happens with Karmainians & Dunesti because in of the Karmainians link to devils and the Dunesti's creating the first demons.

Personality
    Tiefling are normally charismatic as they can feel that power is within reach at all times. They are also oftern jokers, trying to make light of situations other may find difficult or emotionally grueling.

Physical Description
    Tiefling are partly descended from Karmainian stock, and this is reflected in their physique. They are only slightly smaller than Karmainian men and women on average. Each is unique as its appearance depends on its fiendish Ancestor. E.g. A Tiefling descended from a Glabrezu might have tiny non-mobile arms. While a Tiefling descended from a Cornugon might have tiny horns and a tail.

These unique traits only come into being once they reach the age of twelve. Until then they look like Karmainians.

Relations
    Other races normally hate and fear them because of their fiendish bloodline.

Alignment
    They normally have an evil alignment. This is because of how society treats them, and not to do with a taint from their bloodline.

Lands
    They have no lands of their own and live wherever humans dwell.

Religion
    They are paradoxically religious. Hoping that the Divines will accept them for who they are, instead what their bloodline is.

Language
    All Tielfings are taught "Trade Tongue" and the languages of their native homeland. But they have no language of their own.

Names
    They are named like Karmainians because when they are babies it is hard to tell the difference between an Tielfing or Karmainian.

Racial Traits
    • Outsider (Native):
    • Medium: As Medium creatures, Tieflings have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    • Tiefling base land speed is 30 ft.
    • Low-Light Vision: A Tiefling can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
    • A Tiefling can take Fiend Feats as an evil outsider.
    • A Tiefling gains an Abyssal Heritor, Devil-Touched, or Fiend Feats as a Bonus feat at level one.
    • Inborn Skill: A Tiefling is very talented and gains an extra two skill points at first level. They also gain one extra skill point at every level past 1st.
    • Fiendish Allegiance: A Tiefling must choose a Fiend. A bit of the Fiends power taints the Tieflings blood. Once choosen this cannot be changed.
    • Faction Feats: A Tiefling acts as though he has the either Abyssal Heritor Feat or Devil's Favour Feat for the purposes of prerequisites. This feat isn't selected by the Tiefling and is determined by your Fiendish Allegiance. If you are Aligned with a Demon then you get Abyssal Heritor for the purpose of this feat, if you are Aligned with a Devil then you get Devil's Favour for the purpose of this feat.
    • Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass Tiefling takes an experience point penalty, her highest-level class does not count.

In addition here are some feats designed for this Aasimar.
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2012-04-26 at 08:14 AM.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Children of Heaven & Hell [3.5e Races]

Tiefling gets 4 bonus skills at 1, aasimar only gets 1. Dunno if intentional as the rest of the wording is the same. I dunno where I'd put them. The Tiefling definitely feels stronger at first glance, but the SLA opens up a lot of neat things...

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrawr View Post
    Tiefling gets 4 bonus skills at 1, aasimar only gets 1. Dunno if intentional as the rest of the wording is the same. I dunno where I'd put them. The Tiefling definitely feels stronger at first glance, but the SLA opens up a lot of neat things...
    I've changed both of their Bonus Skill Points at Level 1. Both now have 2 extra skill points at level one.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4

So are these balanced LA+0 races? Should they be more powerful? Should they be weaker? Is one more powerful than the other?
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Griffon

In order :P, I think so, Not particularly, I can't see why, my gut says no.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

They both should get 4 extra skill points at 1st level, not 2. Also, I would definitely say that the Aasimar seems much more powerful than the Tiefling. The Tiefling is a human with low-light vision and its extra feat picked for you. On the other hand, the Aasimar trades the bonus feat in for a 2nd level divine spell once per day.

Comparing both to a Human, the Aasimar is probably roughly balanced, but the Tiefling definitely feels much weaker to me.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Special Thanks: Kymme! You and your awesome avatarist skills have made me a Lore Warden in addition to King of Fighter Fixes!

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Ziegander View Post
    They both should get 4 extra skill points at 1st level, not 2. Also, I would definitely say that the Aasimar seems much more powerful than the Tiefling. The Tiefling is a human with low-light vision and its extra feat picked for you. On the other hand, the Aasimar trades the bonus feat in for a 2nd level divine spell once per day.

Comparing both to a Human, the Aasimar is probably roughly balanced, but the Tiefling definitely feels much weaker to me.
    The extra feat isn't choosen for you. It is simply more limited, also you count as having either Abyssal Heritor or Devil Touched for prerequisites. So you kind of get one a quarter feats.
    Show