New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Deathknell Chronicles IC, Chapter 1: Eyes Open

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry Dancrilis, don't know why I missed your post.

Danielle

It looked like a plain, ordinary knife, maybe found in a sporting goods store or something. It had a plain black handle and there was no design or brand on it.

Danielle dreamt of her sister.

Amy

A cold, resentful look crossed Mike's face for a moment, but it went away. He sighed, and as he did so his face warped back to its true form. "I'm sorry you think it's a lie Amy. It's our best protection. Is it a lie to want to walk out in public? A lie to want to be seen as a person? Would it have been better if I embraced you by jumping from the shadows, fangs and claws?" He let his body fall onto the bed, with his legs dangling off. "I'll teach you how to do it too. It will make being a kindred a lot easier."

Rick

"Hayden's a bit intense. As likely to rip your head off as mount you."

"Or maybe both, preying mantis style." Quenton interjected.

"Sean's just nasty to be around. So are the sewer rats."

"Sewer rats being sland for the Prince's clan."

"Yeah, yeah. Oh and this this corpse-looking thing on the outskirts of town. Not even a real Clan mind you, some ugly bastard offshoot. He's bad business. There's the fish-man. He gets angry pretty easily. Oh, and stay away from the Caitiff."

"The Caitiff have a bad history here, and well... most other places." Quenton tried to be a bit more diplomatic. "Not one's been in the city for over fifteen years without some big problem or another rising. Still, we have three now with the girl."

"You know, best thing is to avoid most of the kindred. Let them do their business, and they'll let you do yours. Now sit down."

As Trent started passing the cards. "So I heard that Faruq kid turned down Melanie's advances, tried to push her out a window?"

"Really? Damn shame for beautiful body like that to go to waste."

"You're telling me."

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy

Amy shakes her head. “Don’t put words in my mouth, Mike, I’m not saying that isn’t useful, only that there is no need for it now. I mean, I know who you are now, don’t I? And...well... when you're disguised, it creeps me out a bit, actually.” she admits. She doesn’t exactly know how explain it, but knowing that she’s speaking to a mask gives her a very unpleasant feeling. “And forget what I said about waiting for me under my house, I was pretty pissed off with you at the time, and I meant something different anyway.” She’s still pissed off with him, to tell the truth, but at least he’s listening, and answering her questions, and she may as well give him the benefit of the doubt. “Never mind. But... thanks for wanting to teach me, and for the words you said at the ceremony before.” She understands that they’re both law and tradition, but still... Hell of a commitment to make.

She hesitates a bit, then carefully lowers herself on the bed, laying on one side and propping herself up with her elbow, to get to look at Mike at eye-level. She has a lots of questions, but some of them how exactly feeding off humans works, what is that can kill me now, what else can vampires do beside changing our face, what am I supposed to do with my job she supposes that he’s going to answer anyway whatever she asks them or not, so she chooses a more personal question. And to hell with respecting Mike’s privacy, the man has killed her and turned her into a horrid nightmare, he can take a bit of prodding. “Uhm... am I your first childe?” because if that’s the case, there's something he really should know.
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2012-08-10 at 08:59 AM.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

3. - Top - End - #213
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Rick

"Avoid most of those people? You don't have to tell me twice." Rick replies with a grin. The truth was, he was perfectly happy not interacting with most of the kindred unless his work required it. Aside from the other newbie's, any of the established kindred could provably tear him apart for any perceived slight. Best not to risk it.

He listens as Trent describes Faraq's attempted murder of his sire. The guy seemed like a hot head. He would warrant either further investigation, or complete avoidance. Also odd was that they seemed to fear Danielle because of her clan. Rick's impression of the girl was that she was pretty harmless, but the anger and hate directed towards her suggested there might be something about her unique condition that gave reason for the unsettled mood. He'd need to investigate further before coming to any solid conclusions.

As for the others... Erica was still an enigma to him. Amy seemed nice, excluding her rather unfortunate appearance. She might be a useful contact. Same with Claire. She seemed to retain a healthy skepticism that Rick wagered would serve her well in this new life.

But that was enough thinking for one night. It had been along evening, and Rick welcomed the opportunity to relax. He plays cards with Quenton and Trent, focusing on the game.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

Claire tripping like Faruq!

By the time they arrived Claire couldn't even must the will to care. This just played into what she'd already assumed about Victor. As soon as they were inside Claire stripped off her uncomfortable clothing and folded it aside, she'd need it at least a little more. First thing she promised herself would be a return to her own place. For now though all she wanted was sleep, everything else could wait. She swiftly followed Rogan into slumber.

It seemed vampires could in fact dream.

--*--

She was running. Her feet were alive with sensation, her muscles firing on all cylinders, hunger gnawed at her stomach... she was breathing heavily. The forest around her was bare, the trees empty of leaves. It glowed in the light of a full moon. No normal color though, this moon was blood red, casting a sanguine hue over everything. It was bright too, brighter then the moon had a right to be.

Didn't matter. She just had to run. Something was after her, Claire was not alone. She could here it, a rustle in the dead underbrush here, a shadow of movement there. Don't stop. Stop and you are dead. Claire ran. Rocks under her feet, moist earth, a thousand tiny pinpricks. She was barefoot, no she had not a stitch anywhere and felt her cheeks warm with embarrassment at the thought. No keep runnning, don't stop.

And so Claire ran, half blind and wincing with almost every step through these bloody woods. What was after her? No, didn't matter.

Seconds, minutes, hours, the chase stretched on it could have been any of those measures, it felt like an eternity. Yet the end came unexpectedly. Maybe a rock, maybe a root. Something clawed at her foot and Claire tumbled down. Hitting dirt she rolled and came to stop. Looking up in a blur of motion there pursuer appeared standing over Claire.

The figure was female but not human. The lines were human, lithe with lean muscle like a runner. The pursuer had a luscious mane of hair flowing down past her hips. Those were the things almost normal though. The hair glowed in the moonlight, pale white turned red in the gloom. Marking that runner's body were patches of fur, not body hair but wild thick growths spread across half the pursuers skin. The hands were too long, the nails having become thick pointed claws. The strangeness did not end there though. Through the pursurer man Claire could see two points out. Ears. Like over size a cat ears then stretched only too long and thin even then, they twitched independent of each other. A swishing sound reveal an honest to goodness tail on the beastial female, bristling with long hair. What drew Claire's attention most though was the eyes. They glowed red with the same light as the moon. And then the beast smiled as it stood over its prey, revealing canines far too large as the beast mouth twisted somehow into a viscous snarl that seemed to distort even the bones of the skull.

As the beast stood over Claire it purred, a cat taking pride in its meal before devouring it. As that terrible mouth open Claire realized something else. The pursuing beast under that distorting snarl, had her face. Realization dawned as the beast made a final leap. Clair felt fangs sink into her neck.

--*--

Claire came awake, feeling shocked. Only before she could even get her eyes open she felt a great pressure come over her, a draining exhaustion that pulled her back into sleep.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

Rick

They played cards for about half an hour. Quenton wasn't lying, Trent did cheat. However, Quenton didn't seem to fall for any of it, stating that he could read Trent's face like a billboard.

It was oddly casual. Quenton also learned that to get alcohol, one had to drink blood from a drunk mortal. Rumors of machines that could mix the two mechanically existed, but neither kindred believed it to be true, perhaps in another ten years. Trent was a deputy, and worked under Al Rowe as a side duty to his responsibilities to the Clan.

However, all three began to get tired, very fast. Trent passed out on the table, and Quenton groggily led Rick down a couple hallways to where there were some beds, pushing the detective slightly so that he collapsed on top of it. All went black.

Amy

"You're the second." Mike shook his head, and closed his eyes. "It didn't turn out so well the first time. I... would rather talk about it another night."

Spoiler
    Show
    All we have left is a question or two more from Amy, and Faruq getting dropped off, and then we're set.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy

“Oh.” She’s sorry to hear that, but she isn’t sure what exactly are the right words to use in such cases. Instead, she opts to put a hand on Mike’s shoulder and squeeze a bit, in a comforting gesture “Uhm... keep that in mind for next time, then” she says “When someone’s in pain, and screaming for you, usually holding their hand helps a lot, you know? I...well, I might not have been so pissed off with you afterwards if you had done that.” But she smiles a bit as she says that, to show him that there are no hard feelings. That’s done anyway, she really doesn’t want to think about those ten minutes any more, and while that certainly begs the question of how and why Mike was embraced, that particular question is a bigger breach of privacy than she feels comfortable with, at least at the moment.

“But... speaking of that, there’s a thing I wanted to ask you about Danielle. Because I’m not really sure I get how that ‘clanless’ thing works. I mean... you should be able to tell what clan she is, shouldn’t you?” That’s another thing she has thought about on the trip here, actually, and try as she might, she hasn’t managed to understand it on her own.

Spoiler
    Show
    This can be my last question for tonight, meaning I’d just need another couple of posts to wrap up Amy’s evening. I wanted for Amy to speak in private with Danielle, too, but we can do that first thing tomorrow evening, I suppose, if Dancrilis is alright with it

EDIT
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, and there is a reasoning behind Amy asking that particular question... she has decent mental attributes, I figured a bit of deductive reasoning wouldn't be too OOC for her.
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2012-08-11 at 12:46 PM.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

Erica
    Something nagged at the back of Erica's mind as she drifted off to sleep.

"Did I remember to turn off my alarm clock?" she thought as slumber overtook her, "too tired to look for it now... if it goes off, it goes off."
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

No worries daelrog, I figured that the knife would not ignite at word command anyway.

Strawberries: Well Amy could likely find Danielle tonight if she wanted, or tomorrow would be grand, as potentially having a higher humanity then the others they might very well be the first to wake up.

Her dreams were fragmented, and each was not quite right.

As children they were playing in a park, but other then the two of them the park was empty and it was late at night.

The scene with the Jackal replayed but while the mask was the same it was Katrina holding the swords.

Herself as she was now hunting her sister through the woods her sister still at age 12 as she was when she disappeared.

A Christmas dinner with only herself her mother and Katrina, she was drinking red wine, her sister eating a stake, and her mother hosting the meal oblivious to her daughters sizing one another up throughout.

Katrina as the girl at the party, and as the child at the table.

The creepiest was where both were drinking the blood of the other, standing at the scene of a massacre which she knew they had caused, bodies hanging from the ceilings and littered across the floor, feelings of love, disgust, horror, joy and longing all mixed together.

These scenes played out together or flowed from one to another and back again.
    Last edited by dancrilis; 2012-08-11 at 10:53 AM.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Banned

Faruq sat down, heaved another sigh - he would apparently do that a lot from now on, he reckoned with a hint of fatalist amusement - and began scribbling on his blank notes as the drive went on, thoughts and keywords and the names he read on street signs in an attemt to get some semblance of order into his scrambled thoughts. For the most part, and as far as was readily apparent, though, he would simply gaze out of the window, hum to himself, writing and trying to chill out as much as was humanly, undeadly, possible.

However, ultimately an idea dawned on him. It was about five minutes in, and the car was just heading down one of the longer streets of Havensworth, without having rounded a corner or curve in a while, when he pulled up another empty paper, transfixed Byron with a glance, and wrote down, in English: "So. No offense, little space on these, will be blunt. I don't understand. You a 'Kindred' too?" This one, he handed to the man, attempting an awkward, shut-mouth smile with debatable success. Can't exactly say I'm happy being here, but hell, it doesn't hurt to be polite.

Spoiler
    Show
    Can he silently regrow his tongue within half an hour while pretending it isn't happening and keeping quiet? If so, that's what he will do.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Troll in the Playground

Amy

Mike nodded at Amy's suggestion. He thought a bit for her question on Danielle. "So, there's the theory on us descending from biblical Caine, right? Well, even the skeptics are pretty sure that the curse is descended from something. You see, we have a generation, it's sort of a measurement of our strength. It's how potent our blood is. It's been measured since old times, but it boils down to how much vitae, blood in kindred lingo, can hold, and how much blood we can use at once. Well, that, and how powerful we can eventually be, given enough time, though that's really for those scary bastards of really low generations.

"I'm of the 9th generation, which puts you at the 10th.

"You see, once you get to the really high generations, like Danielle, who's 14th, the blood becomes really thin. Her Clan's curse becomes so subtle that you can't even tell anymore. That, and sadly there are enough kindred who embrace and then abandon their childer that there's no way of knowing who sired him. Some pale, dark-haired stranger doesn't really narrow it down.

"Amy, I know it's probably on your mind, of why all these old and powerful kindred are freaking out over one high school girl. There's two reasons, on opposite ends. As I said, 14th generation is really high. Everything becomes more difficult. Because of that, she's not going to be able to protect herself as well as other kindred, which makes her a liability. Yes, the whole Jackal thing wasn't her fault, but it was her sire's fault, another Caitiff. They overextend themselves thinking they're as powerful as a normal kindred, and they find out they're not. It usually causes a breach in the masquerade, and that threatens everyone.

"The other problem..." Mike looked legitimately scared. "Is diablerie. There's a way to increase one's generation. You feed off another kidnred of higher generation until there's no blood left. Then you feed a little more. Some say it's taking their curse, others their soul. Regardless, it makes you stronger. A lot of Caitiff, not liking being at the bottom of the barrel, resort to diablerie to get power."

Faruq
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roll manipulation + performance. I mean, a lump of flesh is forming in his mouth. However, it will probably be uncomfortable than painful, so he can do it without being seen, though to be honest I don't know why he's hiding it.

Byron shook his head. "I'm what kindred refer to as a ghoul. I'm a mortal who drinks kindred blood once or twice a month. I am still a living, breathing human, can step out into the sun. However, most of the strengths of kindred are denied to us as well."

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy

Amy doesn't answer immediately, instead taking a little time to process all that load of information. So, he is saying that if a Nosferatu of high enough...generation tries to make someone a vampire, the result would be someone who still looks normal? And the other thing Mike has said... "That is seriously messed up" she finally says, shuddering."And I mean this whole thing, starting from the beginning of this evening."

She pushes herself up to a sitting position, bringing her knees to her chest. She is careful to kick off her shoes first, to avoid bringing dirt on Mike's duvet "But if that's the concern, then the way everyone has been treating her isn't very smart, is it? I mean, if you're an elder, then the last thing you should want is for her to have a beef with you, right?" Well, unless you're confident enough that she'd never be able to touch you, but in that case, why be scared in the first place?

She thinks over everything for another couple of seconds, but when she asks the next question, it is on impulse "But there are some good things too, aren't there, Mike? Tell me it's not all pain and fear and...violence". Tell me that it was worth it that I didn't die this evening
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2012-08-11 at 10:59 PM.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show
    In order to not let Byron know he's regrowing it. He's testing out options, here. All will be brought to light in time.

No way you're a ghoul, bro. Ghouls are like nine feet tall, live underground and eat corpses, far as I know. 'sides, being tougher than three of you is hardly that badass, now. he thought, but, not being able to talk, kept it to himself. But let's just accept that for now. Thinking of talking, by the way...

He had to do something about the missing tongue - now, granted, the notion of keeping it stunted and becoming some sort of silent communicator once his new vampire mind-reading powers kicked in had some appeal. But then, these people wanted him to serve as a sort of liaison, if he'd gotten that right, and in any case, he'd have to make some phone calls first chance he got. So he focused. Pictured his tongue. Pictured it regrowing. Pictured Flat-Face accidentally castrating himself, but pushed the thought aside. Pictured his tongue again. Closed his mouth as tightly as possible. And pushed, willing the blood to rebuild the flesh, because if the previous ordeals had been any indication, a great many of these powers seemed to work based on stress, or some other effort of the mind.

And handed Byron another note: "Strengths, you say? Like that mind-reading thing, or that briefcase thing Melanie did? And why would you drink their blood?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Also, rollan':

(6d10)[1][6][3][2][4][5](21)

Oh well. Worth a shot.
    Last edited by Worlok; 2012-08-11 at 11:02 PM.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

Faruq

"Mind reading?" Byron quirked an eyebrow. "I suppose there are powers that come close to that. And I really don't know what you mean by the briefcase thing. I wasn't privy to what happened during your embrace." He took a closer look at the last one. "Because it makes me immortal. Because it makes me stronger. Really, for a drink that's a little salty and bitter once a month I get to be a lot more than I ever was as mortal. Besides, if I get off the blood I'll age immediately. Doesn't seem like a hard decision to me."

Spoiler
    Show
    With zero successes, Byron will notice, but it's not something which is going to be important to him.

Amy

"Yeah, I guess you have kindred culture down on that one, don't ya?" Mike was half sarcastic. "But you know, you're not going to find too many kindred over a hundred years who are going to suck up their pride and be nice to the lowest of the low, not when are history books are full of mentioning Clanless as heralds of the end time."

He leans back. "There's a lot of good things, Evaz. I was born at the turn of the century, even fought in World War II. I've gotten to see the world change and grow. I've made friendships which have lasted for decades. I've travelled across the United States. Sure, I may be ugly, but that's something I can cover up when I need to, and it's not the only perk of being a kindred. There's a lot of good that comes from it."
    Last edited by daelrog; 2012-08-12 at 12:35 AM.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy (And, by the end of the post, Danielle)

Amy makes a little, lopsided smile. That’s true, she gets to live forever, which means seeing things, and... knowing things that she wouldn’t have dreamt of, but after everything she’s seen this evening, it had been somehow difficult to focus on the positive. And what Mike said about friendships - she suddenly remembers Duke, and wonders if he is a kindred too, or a ghoul, or simply a conniving human He said that he’s known him since he was a child, and he didn’t seem -that- old.

She registers the words Mike used about the end of times, but very consciously decides to not ask, at least for now. She doesn’t think she can take much more earth-shattering news tonight, even if just in the form of legend. Tomorrow. Tomorrow I’ll ask, or even the day after, maybe. I need sleep, and I need time to think about all this. She smiles, a little more fully. “Thank you. I... really needed to hear that.” She scoots forward, so that she is sitting on the edge of the bed, ready to get up. “Uhm... Mike, I think I’ll go find a place to sleep, now.” And she wants to check on Danielle, too. Her night has been probably worse than mine, she is alone, and Flat Face doesn’t seem the type to answer questions, or to reassure her in any way. “Thank you for answering my questions. Have a good-” she stops suddenly, thinks about it, and chuckles. Lots of vocabulary adjustments are in order,it seems. “Geeze, I don’t even know how to say it anymore. Sleep well, Mike.”

Spoiler
    Show
    The following applies if Mike doesn’t have anything else to say that would keep her in the room, otherwise, I can retcon their last interaction and say this simply happens later. And Dancrilis, I think we can RP a bit of interaction this evening, if you’re up for it.

When she exits Mike's apartment, she gets down again to the ground floor, then gets in the direction she’s seen Danielle take, keeping an eye on the doors to see if she can find the teen “Danielle?” she calls, softly, knocking at the closed doors. And moreover... she feels foolish, but she inhales, too, at each door. The disembodied voice had claimed she could smell the girl, and she has no reason to doubr it, or not to try it herself.
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2012-08-12 at 06:04 AM.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle, Amy

They were playing hind and seek as children, her sister was seeking and she was hiding this time, she was scared but she didn't know why, it was an old building and she was hiding in a closet, 'Danielle' her sister called followed by two taps at a door down the corridor, her breathing slowed, 'Danielle' closer this time and another two taps, 'Danielle' again wait that was not her sisters voice, now right outside the closet 'Danielle' she was panicked where was her sister, they had been alone, who was this, what was going on.

Her eyes shot open in panic, and the dreams faded away.

Dream panic was replaced by a more immediate panic of figuring out where she was, but that came flooding back a second later.

Had it been a night, her body felt the same, no more or less immediately tired, no hungrier.

She heard herself being called from further down the corridor, the dream invader had moved on ... she was tempted to let them go but she didn't want to sleep again just yet. She softly pushed the mattress out of the way when and opened the door a crack to sneaking a peak out she saw Amy moving down the corridor.

"Hi Amy" she called softly then stepped back inside to allow the other woman entrance if she wanted.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy, Danielle

Amy half-startles at the sound of a door opening up the corridor, but realises that it is the person she's looking for, and quickly retraces her steps. "Hi, Danielle" She hesitates, then enters the apartment, looking around and noticing the matress, the covers and the... not much else.

She doesn't know how to start or what to say: she's really never been good at this sort of things. She supposes the truth may be a good start. She takes a deep breath "I'm sorry about what happened to you" she says. They've all had it rough, probably, but as far as she's concerned, Danielle takes the cake "How are you feeling?"
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2012-08-12 at 07:31 AM.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ettin in the Playground

How are you feeling?, it was a simple question and normally it would have received a simple answer or fine, or ok, or some other generic word that meant nothing.

This time it was different this time it had a deeper reaction, "Bad", she wanted to stop there but carried on, "I was ready for them to kill me, I thought I had sold my life well told them don't kill people it is a bad move from a logic standpoint. I was prepared for it. But no they let me live" she almost spat the last word.
    "I don't know what I am, what I can do, what I need to do, what I want to do, none of it. I was sleeping before you came in, my body has no mental clues as to whether it was a day, half an hour, longer or shorter I have no clue", she was pacing now ranting almost.
    "I dreamed of my sister. My memories of her are normally a source of comfort to me" stopping and looking at Amy "this time ... this time they were creepy, I don't remember much but there were bodies and blood and hunting and a hunter ... and Christmas cake", now she was fully ranting, "I will never be able to enjoy Christmas cake again, never be making dinner with my mother - who the kindred community were so kind as to call up" her voice scathing "while pretending to be me - at midday Christmas day, enjoying some sweets and talking about the meaningless items"

Her voice took on a dangerous bitter edge, "She has been through a lot and now her remaining daughter is going to shun her break her hopes for attending college and ultimate fail at what she would consider a good life", a nights worth of pent up aggression was being let out in words, "I'll never kiss someone romantically let alone maybe do more" she paused almost embarrassed at having mentioned that but the anger drove her to her next random point.
    "No Olympics" pointing a finger at Amy to make a point "I could have possible went to Barcelona next year you know", dropping her hand.
    Lowering her eyes "I can't cry, I wanted to, thought I needed to after today - I can't. I used to privately sometimes - and yea I know it makes me look weak - it was something of a release, something private and comforting something that no matter how bad things were I could feel human in the dark on my own ... guess it is fitting that I can't now".

Getting a bit of a grip back "I can't beat the Jackal", she voice flat "I know I can't", but I am going to try anyway she stated to herself, "I have agreed to deal with him and the only way is to kill him ... I agreed to kill a man who is actually protecting humanity from blood drinking monsters. I guess it places him in the right and me in the wrong ... even if I could beat the Jackal I am not sure I want to", realising something "and I have just realised I shouldn't have mentioned any of this to you", thinking for a second "I saw that the others put on more human faces when they left the party, I don't know if they are limited to one face. Which means that it is possible that you are Flak come to test me under a different guise", rolling her eyes "screw it at this point I don't care".

"How can you stand Mike" it was an accusation rather then a question "nearly everything I have just whined about applies to you do and you have to actually stomach putting up with the monster that did it to you", her voice was truly hateful now "I hate Billy - he is dead I saw it - but I wish there was something I could do to make him suffer, he deliberately choose me and I don't know why, he planed it by putting people in danger. I hope he is suffering horribly, but I wish I could see it" this time thinking about him her hand collided with the wall at full force the movement fast and sure "I tried to help people and this happened to me, he did this to me", now a mixture of a whisper and a mutter "how can you stand him?" this time it was a question.

She sank into the corner of the room beside where she had hit, "So yea bad", lifting her head to look at the other woman, "sorry for offloading like that and thanks for listening". She wanted to stand up but couldn't bring herself to "how are you doing, can't have been a pleasant night for you either".

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy and Danielle

Amy lets Danielle finish without saying anything, but at the end of her rant, she sits down next to the young woman and awkwardly puts an arm around her shoulders, drawing her in a hug, if she doesn’t resist. She’s very careful to not make the hug too tight or difficult to escape from: she’s aware of how she looks, and that being hugged by her can also be constructed as the opposite of a comforting experience, but she doesn’t have the words to make Danielle feel better, and this is the only thing she can think of doing.

“It's been only half an hour, and I... I am not Flat Face” And by the way, where does ‘Flak’ come from? “And you can talk to me about anything, I’m not going to tell him.” Actually, Danielle makes a good point “Uhm... I don’t know if they - we are limited to one face. I only saw Mike and Slick changing into the same...mask, but then again, they haven’t explained it to me, yet.” Yeah, creepy. Definitely creepy - what she had said to Mike about being weirded out was not an exaggeration.

“Mike... I don’t hate Mike, Danielle. I was pissed off with him, still am, a bit, but... he's not a monster. He doesn't act like a monster.” Amy shrugs. “Oh, I don’t know, I don’t know what’s a lie and what is true with him. I mean, earlier tonight he asked me out for a beer and told me he worked in retail!” Amy barks a laugh, which is actually a little disbelieving. She can’t remember the last time she had an heart-to-heart with a girlfriend. Fifth grade, probably. “But... I think I trust him. On the important stuff.” She doesn’t say why, doesn’t add that Mike had seemed devastated by the way he has had to Embrace her. That’s Mike's private stuff, and she prefers to keep it between her and her sire. “And... I didn’t have plans to go to the Olympics. Maybe that’s it. If I was still... well, alive, tomorrow I would get up, get to work for ten hours behind a stupid counter in a stupid grocery shop, and then probably being too tired to do anything but go to sleep. I can’t help but think that this can be something better, you know? I mean...” she hesitates “...we don’t have to kill. That was one of the first things I asked. If we can survive without killing people, maybe there can be something good that comes from it, can't it?” She remembers Mike’s words Seeing the world change and travelling and knowing people. “But I...used to see my parents maybe once a year. I love my sis, but we aren’t very close...we speak on the phone maybe twice a month. I can’t imagine how it must be for you."

She rubs a bit Danielle's back in small circles. She does't know if it's of any comfort for the girl, but doing it is comforting for her, at the very least. "We'll have to figure it out, won't we? We'll have to figure out where we stand and what we want to do." That's exactly what she thought at her presentation, and the thought is still valid. "And, Danielle, the Jackal... I dunno if he's really that great hero. One of those bigwigs at the head table mentioned him killing a bunch of policemen - human policemen, I suppose. And..." she hesitates again, then follows her impulse "...well, I- I am here. If I can help you, I'll try to." She stops Do I really mean that? Yes, she realises, she really does. She doesn't want Danielle to die. That's part of figuring it out for me, I guess.

She suddenly realises she has just gone off on a rant of her own and shrugs, a little embarassed. "I don't know how I'm doing. I mean, there's this" she gestures vaguely in the direction of her face "This was... bad. But I think maybe, if I take a bit of time... I don't know. I'll have to figure that out, too."
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2012-08-13 at 02:25 AM. Reason: I just catched a missing comma that changed the meaning of an entire sentence :p

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle, Amy

Danielle tensed at first then accepted and returned the hug, and listened to Amy.

"I'm not worried about Flak, Flat whatever", she mumbled had it been Flat he said not Flak?, "his advise so far has been reasonable enough", allowing a bit of a smile to be heard on her words "I think he might feel that he has been dealt a poor hand having to deal with me", the deal was not intended to be punctuated but it was, he was likely on orders to kill her if she looked like she might embarrass the prince.

How could she not hate him?, the answer that occurred was control and clan and blood, to have a close knit clan you likely needed a method of control from the top and the prince had mentioned something about blood bonding vampires together, or some-such, "I wouldn't trust him on it, you might want to ask about that bonding affect the prince mentioned earlier", pausing and realising "sorry I shouldn't be making this harder for you, forget about it, if you trust him and can get some comfort in that cool".

She pulled back and smiled at the woman, "I probably wouldn't have made it to them, I didn't even really consider it I would have needed to focus on a single area, but it is just that now I can't ever that bothers me", another road closed off for her.

We have to kill, Billy killed three the society killed more, and that was just what she knew about, she would have to become used to death ... and when you became used to something it was only a small step to embracing it, she kept her mouth shut on that one, Amy didn't need to hear it.

Putting on a brave face, "Thanks for listening to me, I will make it work with Mom, and maybe find my sister, heh the powers might help with that if I ever figure them out - if I in fact have any" continuing with the brave face with a smile, "But I can't let you help with the Jackal, it would get the kindred all bothered by me dragging in the fledglings " she said the word to lighten the mood, but then grow serious "... and I don't want to see you die".

She had avoided the topic of Amy's appearance all night, but now that it was raised she needed to acknowledge it, she tentatively reached up to Amy's face touching her cheek and looked her in the eyes, "This is ... " she wanted to say 'nothing' but stopped herself "... shouldn't be important, but if it is you can learn to put on a new face like the others and treat it like make up, something to make you feel better if you want or need it to", smiling lightly "you are a good person Amy, that is what it important. Better then me anyway", she somehow doubted Amy had hospitalised anyone.

Standing and helping Amy up, "I suppose that we are a sight sitting here with me whining about how bad I have it. How stereotypically teenage of me, and you the calm reasoned adult pointing out as gently as possible that problems are not insurmountable" she said with a forced laugh "one bad night and I am a wreck" she smiled, her spirit a bit better after her verbal release.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy, Danielle

Right. I think that’s the first time someone called me a calm reasonable adult. Amy thinks about it for a second, then snorts a laugh. “You know what? This is not ‘one bad night’. We died tonight, so screw that, I think we deserved to rant a bit.” She’s feeling a bit better, too: she had needed to vent as well. I’d whip out the chocolate cookies, but, well... undead.

“And that’s too-friggin’-bad on what would get the other kindred bothered - you’re not dragging me, I’m volunteering, and that’s entirely my business. I don’t want to see you die, either... it seems like we missed the brief on how to be undead bloodsucking monsters, eh?” she says with a smile.

She shrugs away Danielle’s attempt to make her feel better about her appearance: she has not worked out yet how much she’s bothered by it. Imagine that’s make-up, hah! Good way to look at it. “Yeah, I think I’ll put forward my name for the next Maybelline spot. I could do both the ‘before’ and the ‘after’. Think of the money.” Yes, laughing definitely helps. Always has, probably always will. But, on the more immediate order of business... “Uhm... Danielle, do you prefer to be alone? Because I can leave and find another place to sleep, or I can stay here if it helps.” For her part, she doesn’t know what she prefers: she’s used to sleep alone: she hasn’t slept in the same room with her sister since she was seventeen, but on the other hand, it’s been a hell of a night. The prospect of dealing with sleep alone is kind of scary.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle, Amy

She smiled, "Ok, but I want it on record that I didn't ask, and that you will make no attempts to actually meet him, other help might be very very much welcome".

She smiled wider "Don't worry about the bloodsucking monsters thing, I am sure we will figure it out", a joke at the situation, that instantly hit to close to home, "wow I can be a real downer at times" she muttered before perking up again.

"Normally I would sleep along, or for road trips with other teammates in a hostel or something", she smiled, "but yea the night that is in it I think the company might be good", pointing at the mattress "you can have it, I am fine on the floor it is good for the back and posture".

"Anyway it is late or early or whatever", she lay down and stretched out "... Amy, thanks for walking me up".

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

Amy, Danielle

“Hah, no, I don’t really want to meet a guy that has hundred-years-old vampires pissing their pants, if I can avoid it.” Amy smiles. That’s definitely better. “And don’t be daft, I don’t mind sharing the mattress if you don’t. Uhm... is there a bathroom? I’ll just be back in a second”.

She tries a couple of door, finding a small closet behind the first and the room that she needed behind the second. She closes the door behind herself and turns around, considering the bathroom. Way better that her apartment’s, even if there’s just a very small mirror on the top of the sink. She's not sure if it is intentional. Very possible, given who the owners of these flats are.

Still, there is something she has to do, and the less she puts it off, the better. Amy takes a deep breath and undresses, standing naked in the centre of the room and examining herself slowly. Not so bad, could have been worse, could have ended up like Slick she keeps thinking to herself like a mantra, as she takes stock of the changes in her body. "Crap" she whispers, looking at her legs. She had cut herself a bit while shaving, this morning, just under the right knee, and that small, insignificant cut has became a wide, open sore, showing the red of the flesh below, though luckily not bleeding. And I don't suppose it'll ever heal, either. Dammit. I wonder if I can file a complaint with the Gilette for that.

The rest is not too bad, at least relatively speaking. It seems like her face has got the worst deal. Her body has that unsettling, gray colour everywhere, apparently, and, well, it seems like her skin is thicker and dryer on her chest and upper back. Almost scale-like, actually. Doesn't really matter, who was I going to charm anyway? Mike? The thought makes her snigger Hell, he should be used to it after...seventy years. Seventy years, hell... he could be my granddad. Who knows if Mike has a good repository of war stories, too. And I should go to sleep. First comparing Flat Face to mrs Appleton, now Mike to my grandpa. I'll stop right here before I start thinking that Slick is really the Frog Prince and I try to kiss him. At the party, she had told herself that she just had to wait till she was alone and then she could afford to have a proper, decent breakdown, tears, heaps of kleenex and all the works, but she doesn't feel like crying anymore. She still feels like making idiot quips and laughing to herself. The conversations first with Mike and then with Danielle have really helped.

She quickly redresses herself, goes back to the other room, smiles at Danielle to show that she’s alright and lays down on the mattress. After a moment, she turns on her left side and hugs the pillow, her favourite position for sleeping. “Sleep well, Danielle.” Hell of a night, hell of a day tomorrow, probably is her last thought Still, on the bright side? I don't have to stand behind that stupid counter anymore.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Banned

Faruq - and Byron, to an extent

The Afghan-blooded Scot found himself hesitating now, carefully sizing the other man up with one eye while scribbling some more in Arabic. His tongue was coming along nicely, and while he was gagging a little, and it felt kind of weird, he figured he kept his countenance up rather well.

Another note, in English again this time around: "Huh. Not really seeing it. What about the driver, there? He a ghoul, as well? Anyone in the know about vampires who is not? Got some more questions, if you do not mind."
    Last edited by Worlok; 2012-08-13 at 11:37 AM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground

Faruq

Byron starts to lighten up a bit, part from being useful, and part that Faruq seemed to be opening up, even saying so. "I'm glad you're curious Faruq. I admit I was worried for you back at the Prince's. I think once you learn the ropes, and the do's and do not's, you'll fit in just fine."

He looked towards the driver's way. "There are generally four kinds of people who know about kindred. The first are those who work under kindred. Ghouls are the top servants. There are also people, like our driver who have been swayed to serve under Josef Kirsch without needing the use of blood, ways I'm sure you'll learn in the coming nights. He's mortal, but like me, he's a servant as well.

"The second kind of people are other supernaturals, though usually limited. There's always a debate as to which supernaturals exist and which don't. You heard mention of an Irishman? He's a supernatural, but not kindred. There are werewolves too. They supposedly kill any kindred of any kind on site. I don't suggest wandering too deep into rural Washington or Oregon. We're city creatures, they're rural.

"The third are those who stay silent. Maybe they witnessed something. The masquerade tends to be broken from time to time, no system is perfect, it's the clean up work that matters most. The last Prince, the one your Uncle masterminded the destruction of was fairly kind... as far as kindred go. He had a habit of making thralls of those who he could, it's why there are so many servants at the mansion. It's not an ideal situation, and Jean's certainly give them an interesting new look, but he thought it better than killing them. Jean... is more fickle. He was pretty heavy handed with those close to Billy, Danielle's sire. Normally he wouldn't go to such lengths, but Billy made a good mess of things. However, there are some people who no doubt witness something, and stay silent. They know no one will believe them, keep quiet, are afraid of shadows, and otherwise live as normal. Even kindred can't find everyone if they keep their mouths shut, and that's find by them.

"The last are the hunters. Van Helsing from Dracula? There was such a man from what I've heard, and there have been hunters for as long as there have been kindred. Prey who try to hunt the predators. Even in the wild there are prey who are capable of fighting back. Most are just ordinary humans. Some are government agents from different world powers, though thankfully they are woefully underfunded. Some are from the Vatican, calling themselves the Society of Leopold, much more capable, though there actions are mostly around Catholic dominated areas. Some are just normal individuals with a saw off shot gun. Few hunters can actually kill a kindred. Kindred are too resilient, and too powerful. That, and though true faith is one of the most potent weapons against kindred, so few individuals have it. Many hunters have met an end by waving around a cross in vain. One mistake and its over.

"However, a few hunters, including Jackal the Nine-Bladed have shown to have supernatural powers. Does that make him a supernatural? Does that make him a new breed of man? We don't know. From what Melanie gained from Trent Weston, one of Al's deputies, Brett Davenfeldt gasped for breath before Jackal beheaded him. That is... a most troubling theory."

Faruq could tell that Byron was very afraid of Jackal. He could also tell that Byron liked to talk and explain things thoroughly.

Spoiler
    Show
    So we can get the ball rolling again, how about you post a series of questions Faruq has, Byron will answer and then there will be a one post exchange between Faruq and Flockton (the sun is coming soon), and we'll move to the next night.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ettin in the Playground

Danielle considered taking the mattress but she was to exhausted to bother moving from where she lay, she was asleep before Amy got back.

A more peaceful look on her face then previously.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Banned

Originally, Faruq had intended to silently let his tongue regrow, continue the conversation with notes, and then casually drop a spoken line for the shock effect once he'd get out of the car. But hell, this guy Byron sure seemed cool enough, and judging from all of this, and the end of the drive approaching, he figured why bother with cheap theatrics, here? Thus he spoke: "I hope so. I mean, don't get me wrong. But dying, and then just to die again, kind of a crappy hand to be dealt, I'd say." A smirk. "But speaking of, how's that ghoul-thing work? I mean, first off, thanks for tellin' me this, and it helps already. But I'm really all out for the basics here. Jus' yesterday round this time? I had no idea what a 'vampire' is. I mean, sure, I'd heard the name Dracula, and I kind of knew that that Helsing guy, he's his enemy. But you know, never really heard a lot about blood-drinking living dead. The stories I'd heard were typically more about demons and ghosts and stuff. So when Melly, she tells me that I'm a vampire now? I had no goddamn clue what she was even on about. I honestly thought that she was with the Mossad, and growing fangs to drink blood is a Jewish thing." He felt like laughing, there, but it wouldn't have sounded all that amused, and he didn't.

"Now that I think about it, though - I might have heard the word before. Vampire, I mean. But really, it never had any meaning for me. And now this. This happen often? And when you say, immortality, you mean basically that those guys can get really old, yes? Like, sassing Mr Kirsch with standard Nazi jokes might have some basic in reality, and stuff, because he was around for World War Two, but because he's a living dead, you can't tell by the looks of him?" He paused, glancing aside and out of the window and once again noting some more Arabic down. "And then they're in hiding all this time? I mean, if I was a little more of a stand-offish sort, I'd be like, damn, so you rise from the dead with superpowers and all to tell noone about it, when you could go around fixing things everywhere. And that they take a decent guy like you, and basically make him a deal that goes 'You'll be immortal, but it means you'll literally have to suck your boss off 'til the end of time.' and all of this just seems... strange. I mean, like, if I'm to hold up a masquerade with a bunch of goblin-people at the helm, I'd need to know a little more. And don't get me wrong, I'm not as mad as I sound. It's really just confusion, man." A new shrug, a new glance, some more Arabic, and then gingerly onwards: "For one, where does Ahmad stand in all of this? He killed that prince of yours, I understand, but why? Different opinions on how to run things? And he really is a vampire, too? But he never told me about this, when with a few lines of explanation, I coulda been informed, and might have been okay with it, and now I'm to believe that I'm no longer al-Assad because the enemy was faster once. And that is because of that masquerade of theirs, as well, or isn't it? The parts, they simply don't add up for me." Wait. Ahmad always shared that strange drink with Dad and the others. Probably his own blood? Then Dad and Hussain and Mohammed and everyone... They were 'ghouls' as well? Could it really be? What a discomforting thought. "And say, what about religion? Language? Culture? Name 'Haqim' ring a bell for you? There like, different clans and gangs and such with you I really gotta know about?"

And then: "And what's it with this Jackal kid? How scary can he be to have y'all freaked?"
    Last edited by Worlok; 2012-08-21 at 05:44 AM.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

Byron did his best to respond to Faruq. "The strength of kindred comes from blood. Soem are looking for a scientific answer, but none have been found yet. Kindred need to feed on blood to survive, their powers usually come from blood. If a human ingests the blood of a kindred, they get some of their strength.

"Worldwide the embrace is fairly common, there's estimated to be aound 40,000 kindred right now. It's hard to say. How common it is depends on the place. We've heard rumors that Africa is seeing a lot more embraces. A city like Havensworth though usually sees a new kindred once every few years so tonight was unusual. But yes, you cannot die of natural causes. Mr. Kirsch is over three hundred years old. Jean du Noir is the eldest in the city and is over five hundred.

"Even though both of them, and many other kindred are superior to normal people, they stay in hiding to survive. If humanity learned of their existence, of undead creatures that live off the blood of common people, it would start a war, it has started wars in ancient times. Kindred are powerful, but human ingenuity, their numbers, and the weaknesses kindred face with their curse will always give humanity the edge. A single young kindred might be able to take on six armed thugs, but he cannot take on a fully armed squad of SWAT police. An elder could take on hundreds of trained soldiers, but even they cannot take a napalm launch from an attack helicopter. No, if humaity and kindred went to war, the kindred would lose. You say they could fix things, but kindred are little different from normal people. You have good ones, bad ones, and no one agrees on what fixing things actually are.

"Ahmad al-Assad belongs to Clan Assamite, considered an Independent Clan. Seven of the thirteen, including the Ventrue, belong to the Camarilla, the largest and most powerful faction. Two belong to the Sabbat, a ruthless group that holds sway in the worst cities in the world. Four are independent, each with their own agendas. Ahmad arranged for the last Prince to be killed, by changing his flight so that he could not avoid the sun. Mr. Weinman had been in some of the later crusades, and had personally slew a number of Assamites, including Ahmad's grandsire, the sire of his sire. It was an old grudge. You see Faruq, most modern conflicts, like the Palestinians and Israelis have little meaning to most elders. They're still fighting wars started hundreds of years ago.

"As for religion, culture that depends on the kindred. Clan Assamite has mostly turned to Islam and most of its kindred were Muslims in mortal life, but their Clan predates Muhammed. Each Clan, each sect of kindred have their own culture, which you'll learn in time. As for Haqim? That is the name of Clan Assamite's founder if I remember correctly. Each Clan has a progenitor, an ancient kindred called an antideluvian who each passed their unique curse down to their progeny, curses that still exist. Those kindred are long since destroyed though, lost to history. Many believe they will rise again, but prophets of doom always exist."

The car came to a halt, they had reached their destination. "Kindred, like anyone, fear what they don't understand. Jackal the Nine-Bladed is just that, an unknown."

The doors opened, and Faruq could see Flockton, angrier than Faruq had ever seen him. "Byron."

"Mr. Flockton."

The Brit looked at Faruq, but only briefly. "The sun's coming up soon. Get inside, we'll talk tomorrow."

Spoiler
    Show
    All right, you can make Flockton's place what you want, Worlok. My next post will be the next night.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

Amy

Amy woke up. Everything was a blur. She looked over to the nearby table to see that a glass of blood was on the table, with a pitcher next to it. She could hear violins playing from somewhere else in the building. Mike was nowhere to be seen.

Claire

The place smelled of drugs, smoke, and sex. She could hear mariachi music in her left ear, and gangster rap in her right. She could see Rogan talking to Victor.

"Should I kill him?"

"No, just observe." Rogan looked at Claire, and smiled, half in happiness, half thinking of what was to come. "Are you ready for your first hunt?"

Danielle

Danielle could hear classical music even before her eyes opened. When her eyes opened, they quickly shut again. In just that brief instant, she had seen Flat Face, looking straight at her, standing right behind a middle aged man, clearly dead, the permanent kind, sitting in a chair.

Faruq

Faruq woke up in Flockton's place. Its mix of European and Arabic style something Faruq was used to, but most strangers found curious. He saw pictures of Flockton's family on the wall, something he had not seen before. He understood why quickly, as the pictures were old, the brown and white pictures from long ago. It was Flockton all right, though more out of style than usual, and so were his family, a homely looking woman, and three boys.

Rick

Rick could smell the blood immediately. Chase was sitting there, taking notes. Her hair was a bit frazzled, with one bang over her face. She heard the sheets ruffle, sheets that were put on him after he passed out, and didn't look up to greet up, preoccupied.

"Good evening Mr. Valentino. You sir, have a busy evening in front of you." Her pen stopped, and finally she did look him in the eyes. "Are you okay, or would you like a few minutes?"

29. - Top - End - #239
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Rick raised an eyebrow. "Mr. Valentino now? Rick is fine. Never been one for respectful titles." In his experience, the politer a person was, the more they were trying to hide.

He stood up. "What's my evening looking like?"

Time to see what sort of things he owed to the Tremere.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

What did I do last night, Claire thought to herself as she slowly returned to consciousness. That dream, she'd never had one so vivid. And who had their music going so early, her apartment was usually so quiet. What had she done last night, she still felt kind of numb.

As memory returned Claire bolted upright with a forced gasp. Gary was dead. She was dead. The field, the ecstasy, the murder, the sweet taste of blood in her throat. The court, the trial, and the word vampire. She remembered all of that but above all she remembered Rogan. Dark, ancient, inhuman, but powerful, compelling, and the one who'd killed her in a moment like nothing she'd ever known. And now she was waking up in an rotten run down apartment where she'd slept without a stitch on her and that last bit she realized didn't even bother her.

Hell of a thing to wake up.

It took Claire a moment before answering Rogan's question. She needed to process everything. Details, start with small things. This apartment it really was terrible, how could either of the men stand it. She wanted to go back to her place. There that was something she could latch on to. A hunt Rogan had said, yes that made sense. She could feel that distant desire, stronger then it had been before. Yes she would need to feed that Hunger or she'd feel loose control again, kill again.

Finally getting up Claire walked about the small space. Purely out of habit she stretched but though she could feel her sinews extend it wasn't the same. Vampires is seem wouldn't have to worry about pulling a muscle. Finally after several long moments she answered her sire's question.

"In a word, no. We need to go by my apartment first. I can't go out like this and the only clothes I've got are filthy. Not attention I'd like to attract." She said pointing to the pile of ones she'd had the previous night, "I also could use a shower, which I don't trust here. I also should check on my place just on general principle, mail starts piling up and people take notice. Shouldn't take long. Unless you mean running in the woods after a deer or something then I guess it could wait."

Of course Rogan might say no, but Claire had just woken up in a strangers apartment dead. She'd played meek all last night, this night she needed to see just how much she could assert herself.