New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: [4E] Keep on the Shadowfell - IC

Looking around the inn, Iltaru could almost feel the eyes staring at him and he was determined to prove to these hearty townspeople that he was no monster or simple curiosity, despite his appearance. He also knew that he needed to find out more information about his missing friend.

Approaching the bartender, he greeted him politely. "Good sir, perhaps you might help resolve a quandry. I am searching for word of a friend of mine who was said to be travelling to your town. He called himself Douven Staul and he was a researcher and explorer of sorts. I assure you I bear no ill will, but only wish to return to his wife with news that Douven is well."

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

As you enter Wrafton's Inn you take in a spacious common room with a bar to one side and several tables, most of which have patrons sitting at them. There appear to be several waiters and waitresses along with a large kitchen staff in addition to human woman working behind the bar that they all seem to look to for direction.

Among the patrons there are many villagers as well as a large number of farmers that all seem to listen to and respect one older gentleman with a table in the corner. There is a table in another corner of the room which features a well dressed, regal looking gentleman talking with another man who wears the robes of a scholar. All the patrons seem to give a wide berth to one individual though, a lone elven female sitting at the bar.

As Iltaru approaches the bar and asks his question the woman working the bar turns to him, I do remember a fellow by that name. He had a room here for a time. He had some business with Eilian. Funny thing is he disappeared one day and never returned. I never did find out what happened to him.

Spoiler
    Show
    This is the price list for food, drink and lodging at the Inn:
    Meal - 2sp
    Ale, pitcher - 2sp
    Wine, bottle - 5gp
    Typical room - 5sp
    Luxury room - 2gp

Feel free to talk to the people in the inn and explore the town.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Barbarian in the Playground

Uncomfortable in crowds, Thyrn quickly entered the least populated area of the room: the area in which the solitary elven female sat. After a moment, he noticed her presence, and distanced himself slightly, though still stayed within the largely unpopulated region of the inn.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gillric View Post
    As Iltaru approaches the bar and asks his question the woman working the bar turns to him, I do remember a fellow by that name. He had a room here for a time. He had some business with Eilian. Funny thing is he disappeared one day and never returned. I never did find out what happened to him.

Spoiler
    Show
    This is the price list for food, drink and lodging at the Inn:
    Meal - 2sp
    Ale, pitcher - 2sp
    Wine, bottle - 5gp
    Typical room - 5sp
    Luxury room - 2gp

Feel free to talk to the people in the inn and explore the town.
    "Eilian? Would you happen to know where I might make his acquaintance? And how long ago did you see Douven last?"

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

When asked about Eilian, the bartender points back over Iltaru's shoulder towards the group of farmers sitting in one corner of the Inn. The older gentleman sitting in the corner over there is Eilian. As far as the last time I saw Douven, I can't remember exactly when it was but probably a couple of weeks ago.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Nodding his thanks to the bartender, he made his way thorugh the crowd to the group of farmers. He stopped at the edge of the table, waiting until the others paused in their conversation, before greeting them.

"My name is Iltaru. I understand that one of you, Eilian, may have some knowledge of the present whereabouts of my friend, Douven Staul. I have come to ensure his safety, since his return to his wife is long overdue."

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The old gentleman looks up at your approach and quickly responds to your question. You knew Douven? I always wondered what happened to him! He had questions about the old burial site southwest of the village. Thought a dragon might be buried there! I told him it was probably just an old trash heap, but he wouldn’t hear of it, no sir! Well, of course I gave him directions to the place. I am something of a historian of the area, you know! Oh yes, Douven! Well, he took my directions, and we haven’t seen him since. I do hope the poor man is all right!

8. - Top - End - #128
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

"Is there any specific danger he might encounter at the burial site? We met a group of kobolds on the road into town, but are there other dangers in the area? If you can provide me with similar directions, perhaps my comrades and I might ensure his safety. And I will be most glad to pass along your kind regards to him."

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Why yes, I can provide you with directions to the site. Eilian then proceeds to sketch out a rough map with directions to the burial site.

As far as the dangers he may have faced? I couldn't say. I have never visited the site myself, what knowledge I have of it comes from the tales of hunters' over the years.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Dwarf in the Playground

After finishing his meal, Nathan moves back over to the bar and puts his plate down. He said sweetly, "Thank you for the meal. It's been a great deal of time since I've had such fine cooking."
    "Hey, listen,"
    he smiled, "can you tell me anything about the overdressed occupants of the room?"

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

As Nathan asks his question, the bartender raises an eyebrow. I don't see anyone here that is "overdressed".

12. - Top - End - #132
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nathan sighs, "Fine, who's the lady over there in the corner? Why is no one approaching her?"

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The elf? The bartender says with a nod of her head in the direction of the lone elf female. Can't say as I know much about her other than she seems to be mostly surly in disposition and likes to keep to herself.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nathan mumbled to himself, "Well that's amazingly unhelpful."
    He affected his perfect smile at the hostess again. He told her, "Ah well, thank you so much for your time and hospitality" He wouldn't bother to ask her about the other two. The simpleton probably didn't socialize much with her customers.
    Nathan drifted around the room towards the elven woman. He took a glance around the room to see if anyone was eyeing him suspiciously then finally stood next to her. He wouldn't sit until he had her permission, it was only proper with such a high functioning member of society "Do you mind if I take a seat, miss...?"

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The elf turns and looks you up and down before turning back to her drink. That's what chairs are for, just don't bother me. She says.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nathan couldn't give up from such a weak rejection so he continued after taking a seat, "What is wrong? Are you waiting for something?"

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Continuing to nurse her drink, the elf pretends not to have heard you.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Orc in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

As much as Rythia would have preferred to save getting a meal for later, there was little reason to do so. It was obvious that if this group wanted to continue their search, the Wrafton's Inn was the next destination. It was nearby the gate and truth be told, Rythia was getting a little exhausted with lugging around her load of the gear from the little lizards. A break would be nice and she could use the time to figure out what to do with the extra gear and maybe learn more about their quests. The half-elven woman made no arguments against the stop.

Rythia chose a seat by the bar and set her load down with a thump. She figured the tavern was bustling enough that the noise wouldn't upset customers. A deep sigh of relief crossed Rythia's face as she took a moment to stretch her arms. Like her companions, she ordered a meal of her own to help her recover her strength. While she was getting her break, she overheard that Iltaru found a lead regarding Douven. The female bartender had pointed him towards one of the more popular patrons to get the full story. She figured that he would inform them if anything came from it. Nathan seemed interested in chatting with the elven ranger in the corner so she decided to leave him to that. For the time being, she was even willing to leave Thyrn alone figuring that they would all catch up once they relaxed a little.

For now, she turned her attention to the bartender, "Excuse me, could you please answer a few questions for me? My friends and I were attacked by little scaled lizards when we arrived along the road. They were rather well armed and prepared. Have they been troubling Winterhaven long?" Before anything could be done, it would be helpful to know how long the lizards had been a threat and whether there are more of them around.
    Last edited by Demonicheart; 2011-07-13 at 10:32 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Dwarf in the Playground

Continuing to nurse her drink, the elf pretends not to have heard you.
    He smiles and almost laughs nervously, "Oh come now, don't just ignore me. I took all the effort of coming over to sit by you, there must be something you can say." He bumps shoulders playfully and asks, "Like, do you have a name?"

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The bartender stands in front of Rythia and while polishing a glass, Kobolds! Those buggers are braver all the time! Lord Padraig would probably be interested in hearing your story. He’s been trying to get the militia to clear out those vermin for the last few months with no success.

While at the far end of the bar, the elven woman turns to regard Nathan. You really don't know when to quit do you? She replies while dropping a hand to a hilt poking from her belt.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nathan went out on a limb and took a gamble. Doing his best not to show any fear, he looked into her eyes and smiled, "I'm not very good at it, no." He shifted a little bit, then made a gesture to the rest of the room as if to say, everyone is watching. Just talk. Although, he thought to himself, I hope you aren't crazy enough to stab me anyway.
    Last edited by Kubular; 2011-07-14 at 05:01 PM.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Well, now might be a good time to learn.

Spoiler
    Show
    If you are really intent on attempting to get her to talk you could make use of things like diplomacy.
    Last edited by Gillric; 2011-07-14 at 05:12 PM.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Orc in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Rythia was plesantly surprised to hear that the local lord had taken an interest in clearing out the kobalds. Even if he had not been successful, it showed that he was concerned about the people in this area. True, he could simply be concerned about the trade these ambushes would ruin and not give a copper piece about the farmers but the half-elven woman liked to think the best of others. Furthermore, she felt confident that this Lord Padraig would be someone to ask about Kalerel without risk of starting a panic.

Eager to hear more she continued the conversation, "Where can I find Lord Padraig? I...wait...would he even be the type to speak with me? I'm not a noble or anyone important..." A small frown appeared on her face as she thought about this meeting more. She knew nothing of this Lord and he would know nothing of her. What are the chances that he would agree to meet with some random stranger off the road?

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Actually you're in luck. The bartender indicates the table in the corner with the regal looking gentleman talking to the scholar. That's His Lordship right there.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Iltaru thanked him for the directions and map and turned to his companions. With little awareness for secrecy or discretion, he shouted over to them in his rumbly voice, "I think I know where my friend has gone. The old dragon burial grounds. I have directions and information. Perhaps we can go there and see if he needs assistance?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's see if that gets the fun started.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, now might be a good time to learn.

Spoiler
    Show
    If you are really intent on attempting to get her to talk you could make use of things like diplomacy.
    He put his hand on his forehead and stood up as he said, "Oh, where are my manners!" He turned back to face her then said, "My name is Nathan Dupont, wandering vagabond, dashing rogue, and sage of swords." He took a low bow. "I apologize for the lack of introduction, being out on the open road with nothing but savages for conversation can do that to you."

27. - Top - End - #147
    Orc in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Rythia nodded a thanks to bartender as she pointed out the lord at the tavern table. It certainly made her feel better that he was so approachable. Still, she wanted to get the introductions as correct as possible. That meant thinking about her words before blurting them out. For several minutes, the half-elven woman was in an almost meditative stance until Iltaru pulled her from her revere.

She hadn't forgotten about Douven nor the hunt for Kalarel. These two missions took precedence over anything else but she worried about the kobolds that were threatening the town. The scaly lizards would make any travel in the area difficult at best. Worse, she was worried that the group might not have the time to reach the Dragon Burial Site before nightfall. If the kobolds were bad enough during daylight, I fear thinking about fighting them at night. The metal clad woman walked over to Iltaru so that they could speak together without having to shout across the inn, "I know you are worried about Douven and I promise we will set out to find him...but...I also worry about our own stamina. It is late afternoon now, we might make it to Dragon Burial grounds before nightfall if its not too far...but I don't think we could do both ways. We had trouble with the kobolds during broad daylight and there are indeed more in the area. Traveling at night...its a risk."

She gave her best reassuring smile to her traveling companion. A part of her hated for even suggesting that they wait, "Iltaru, if you wish to leave right now, I won't abandon you. I'll help as best I can. I'm sure our allies feel the same way. I just think, we should wait till the crack of dawn so that we can be at our strongest. At the very least, I was going to ask Lord Padrig for more information about the kobolds so we can better prepare ourselves. You can speak with him alongside me if you wish."

28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Iltaru looked at Rythia for several seconds, as if considering her words, before nodding wordlessly at her, realizing he had been rash in his planning. "Though I require no sustenance and little rest, I will not abandon my new friends nor their own duties. I will accompany you while you speak to the Lord Padraig."

Using his mental communication, he expressed his gratitude, "And thank you for speaking to me as a person and viewing me as a companion. I will not soon forget your kindness."

29. - Top - End - #149
    Orc in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

A warm smile crossed Rythia's lips as she heard Iltaru's mental appreciation. Despite the shardmind's jarring appearance, she was hardly turned off by it. In a friendly tone, she spoke her thoughts, "I really don't see why I should treat you any differently. We've traveled together for a little while and hopefully we'll have the chance to do so again once everything is done." Rythia wasn't the type to just abandon allies solely on looks.

Before she headed to the mayor's table, she took a look at Thyrn's table. It seemed like she was pondering whether or not to go over to him. Eventually, she commented to Iltaru, "Nathan says I worry about Thyrn too much...maybe that's true but I hope he will open up to us more. For now...perhaps I shouldn't put him on the spot by asking him to join us. Nathan...seems busy as well. We should talk to the Lord of Winterhaven now then inform them about the dragon burial grounds in greater detail." It was clear that Rythia didn't entirely like the idea of leaving Thyrn out of the conversation but she was afraid of pushing too hard. Nathan's 'friendly' chat with the elven lady in the corner didn't offend Rythia. She viewed him as a good friend and if he desired to talk with her, she wouldn't stand in his way. If anything, she was trying to judge when would be the best time to inform him of Iltaru's progress. Figuring that she would give her other companions a bit of time to themselves, Rythia approached the mayor while subtly gesturing for Iltaru to join her.

The crimson haired warlady took a moment to bow respectfully to Lord Padraig before speaking to him, "Please, excuse me for approaching while you are relaxing. My name is Rythia They'lliar and this is one of my traveling companions, Iltaru. We have only recently arrived in Winterhaven and have enjoyed our stay here thus far. Our only problem was with the kobolds that attacked us on the way here. It was a bit of fight but we managed. I was told to speak to you more about that particular matter. I heard that they only started attacking a few months ago but do you know more about them?" Rythia's voice was fairly smooth and she tried her best to sound respectful. She thought back to all those stories where heroes met with nobility for one reason or another. One of the more common mistakes some heroes made was being rude. Thus the noble who would've been a good ally turned into a hindrance. Right now, Rythia thought it would be a good idea to get on Lord Padraig's good side and stay there.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy Check to make a good impression on the Lord
    (1d20+10)[12]
    Last edited by Demonicheart; 2011-08-05 at 09:09 PM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

You’ve encountered the kobolds that have turned the old King’s Road and our outlying farms into their personal hunting grounds? Those beasts vex me sorely. Yet the villagers refuse to recognize the seriousness of the problem. Attacks along the road have grown more frequent over the last few months. Something’s stirring the kobolds up. I don’t suppose you would be interested in taking a commission from me? I promise you, I can pay well for your services. I would also be willing to have one of my able men assist you in this endeavour.