New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Guides, Tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

This thread is an attempt to collate a list of the many new guides and references that have been popping up around the fifth edition version of D&D. The goal is to give anyone looking for general advice a single location from which they can find almost anything they could need.

Spoiler: Class Guides!
    Show

Artificer (UA version):
    For Science! A Guide to the Artificer by Languid_Duck

Artificer (Official version):
    For Science! A guide to the Artificer by Languid_Duck
    Practical Magical Gadgetry: A guide to Artificers by mjp1050

Barbarian:
    I'll NEVER Die! by NeoSeraphi
    The Gentleman's Guide to Proper Barbarism by Jell_Moo, reposted by Mistwell
    Graceful Destruction: A Guide to the Dex Based Barbarian by Yunru
    D&D 5e Character Optimization – Barbarian by Michael Long (apparently at least in part compiled from NeoSeraphi's and Jell_Moo's guides)
    The Age of Barbarians: A Guide for post-Mordenkainen's Barbarians by Protato

Bard:
    A Basic College of Lore Bard Guide by Zardnar
    Players Gonna Play by EvilAnagram
    A party without music is lame by Mellored
    The College of Legendary Steeds by Starstuff

Cleric:
    The Devout and the Dead, a guide to clerics by Yorrin
    For God and Party: A Cleric's Guide by Danmathman, reposted by Mistwell
    Celestial Link Evoking Radiance into Creation by Mellored
    Divine Tomfoolery- a guide to Trickery Clerics by Jumbowheat01

Druid:
    Unleash Your Inner Beast: A Moon Druid Guide by Merudo
    Nhym’s Shepherd Druid Guide; Nature Always Wins
    5e Druid Handbook - Land & Moon by Hymer
    Thy Fearful Symmetry: A Circle of the Moon Handbook by RCanine
    Lunar Wilds: A Moon Druid Animal Guide by Yunru
    By Your Powers Combined: A Land Druid Handbook by Chameleon-X
    Irhtos Sauriv's guide to front line druidism
    5e Druid Handbook - Dreams, Land, Moon, and Shepherd by Hymer

Fighter:
    The Everyman's Guide to Taking Up Arms: A Guide to Fighters by MJP1050
    The Art of War by Koga 395, reposted by Mistwell
    Bow Bond: An Eldritch Knight's Guide to Archery by Mightythokk, reposted by Mistwell
    An Illustrated Manual for Inflicting Violence by EvilAnagram
    Eldritch Knight Tactica by Nightsteel
    Bellator Arcana: The Eldritch Knight's Guide by Specter

Monk:
    The Good the Bad and the Monk, a 5e Monk guide by EnderDwarf
    Meditation, Mediation, Devastation: A Monk's Guide by Yunrul
    Avatar: the 4 element monk miniguide by Jordan175
    Be Like Water by Prosebeforehos

Mystic (UA class):
    Mind Over Matter: A Guide to the 5e Mystic by Carrdrivesyou

Paladin:
    A Guide to the D&D 5th Edition Paladin through the eyes of a 3.5 Player by T.G. Oskar
    Good is Not Nice, A paladin's guide by EvilAnagram
    My Word is My Sword: The Paladin Guide by GladiusLegis
    The Wall of Fear: A Complete Guide to the Oath of Conquest by Legimus

Ranger:
    Not all who wander are lost, A Ranger's Guide by EvilAnagram
    Animal Buddy: A Guide to the Ranger's Beast Companion by Lord_Ventnor, reposted by Mistwell
    The Outdoorsman's Guide to Natural Ranging by dwgautier, reposted by Mistwell
    Into the Woods We Go: The Ranger Guide by GladiusLegis, reposted by Mistwell

Rogue:
    Person_Man’s 5E Rogue Guide
    Starstuff's Thief Guide
    A thousand lies and a good disguise by Cuddlebot5000
    A Knife in the Dark: The Rogue's Handbook by Clutchbone
    Dealing Death: Handbook of the True Assassin by Gladius Legis, reposted by Mistwell
    I Fought the Law and Won: The Rogue Guide by Gladius Legis
    Boxing With Shadows: A Rogue's Handbook by Wrym
    With Skill and Steel, a rogues guide by Rooneg
    Magique Filou: The Arcane Trickster's Guide by Specter

Sorcerer:
    Power Overwhelming: A Sorcerer Guide by RhaegarT, reposted by Mistwell
    Sorcery Guide part2 by Qwertyazerty
    Caster Unleashed by Guru
    Guide for the Optimized Sorcerer by Sorxores, reposted by Mistwell
    Playing Dice with the Universe: A Slant Guide to Wild-Magic Sorcererby Cognomen's Cassowary
    How to Rend Fiends and Immolate People by EvilAnagram

Warlock:
    Pact-making 101: A guide to the 5th edition Warlock by Oncoming Storm
    Blade, Book, and Chain: A Warlock Guide by Mephi1234, reposted by Mistwell
    Selling your Soul at a Premium: The Warlock’s Guide to Power by EvilAnagram
    The (un)complete Warlock Guide to multiclassing by Asmotherion

Wizard:
    The master of the arcane by rfkannen
    Being a God, part1 Being a God, part2 A two part guide to Wizards by Treantmonk. I'm going to declare this one something players of all classes should consider perusing, since its advice includes sound thinking for party dynamics.
    Arrive on Time: A General Guide to Wizardry by TheBigHouse
    A Blast From the Past: Wizarding 101
    NADRIGOL’s Melee Bladesinger Guide
    Inquisitor Lim's Bladesinger and Wizard Guide: Xanathar's Edition by Deathtongue

Multiclass Guides
    Unlimited Blade Works, Paladin/Sorcerer guide by Gastronomie
    General multiclassing guide by Petenutbutter

Spoiler: General Character Creation Guides
    Show

Treantmonk's Temple
    So you want to play an archer?by Thebirba
    This Hurts You More Than It Hurts Me: A Healer's Handbook by Garresh
    5E Content Index by Grod The Giant, a listing of character options among the various source material
    Feat Analysis; First impressions of a wanna be optimizer - by Beige
    The Social God: A guide to an optimized Party Face by Specter
    Magic Initiate: A guide to an underestimated, (and cool) feat by Specter
    Let's talk about multiclass cutoff points Started by Joseph Silver. This thread features a discussion of optimal points to stop taking levels in particular classes when multiclassing.
    Fighting Styles Overview/Discussion/Whathaveyou by Mechaviking. A discussion of the pros and cons of various fighting styles.
    What's Your Story? by Yunru, reposted by clokwerk66 This guide walks people through making custom backgrounds, which many people don't seem to realize are a default option. Break free of the tyranny of pregenned backgrounds!
    Bookrat's advice on designing background featuresBookrat discusses guidelines for creating more features like the Sage's ability to find knowledge
    Feats by Abilityby WereRabbitz, a simple listing of PHB feats by associated ability scores.

Spoiler: Character Builds - mechanical focus
    Show

Ridiculously good healer by Maxwilsongetting the most oomph out of healing spells
    Breaking BM by Easy_Lee A guide for those wanting to get the most out of the Beastmaster
    Dual Wielding Battlelock by Easy_Lee A guide for those wanting to build the warlock in to a melee DPR master.
    The Coffee Drow by XmonkTadUse and abuse your sorcery points. Note: DM judgement required to use
    Skill Monkey Builds by Mistwell Make those lockpicks dance.
    Maximus Cheesius: A guide to a less cheesy coffeelockby Exocist, what it says on the tin

Spoiler: Character Builds - concept focus
    Show

The Li'l Chef by Easy_Lee You eat what you kill has rarely been a more disturbing phrase.
    The Crazy Alchemist by Easy_Lee If you see this guy running like crazy, try to run faster than he is.
    Shaken, not Stirred by Easy_Lee For those that dream of being the master bond style spy.
    Does that Dark Cloak come in a Large? by Easy_Lee The gang's muscleman
    Kobold Finnesse Barbarian by DrowPiratRobrts Kobolds are always fun to RP. A barb kobold foaming at the mouth and trying to eat your knees? Golden.

Spoiler: Guides for specific in game actions
    Show

De daemonis et diabolisby Quoxis, a guide to fiend summoning
    Dual Wielding Made Easyby Zarohk
    Spoiler: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?546126-The-Bonus-Guide-(A-Mini-Guide-to-Bonus-Actions)
    Show
    The Bonus Guide
    by Odigity, a guide to all the things that can be done with one's bonus action.
    GWM reference table by Xetheral, analyses the "-5+10" aspect of the feat Great Weapon Mastery. Should help in deciding whether or not to invoke it.
    Minor Conjuration: Use and Abusestarted by slipperychicken. A discussion on the many potential uses of creating objects at will.
    Master of Reactions A listing of the many things one can do with one's reaction by Odigity
    Ways to attack with your reactionby GladiusLegis, reposted by Clokwerk66, a list of ways to bring the pain when it is the other guy's turn.
    The Grappler's Manual 2.0 ktkenshinx posted and recently updated this guide to grappling in 5E
    Stealth, Hiding, and you! by Noctaem, reposted by Clokwerk66. A guide to being that sneaky bastard.
    Terrible, Terrible Damage: A Crit-Fishing Mini-Guide by Strangebloke

Spoiler: Guides for magic use
    Show

Spells by Elemental damage typeby supergoji18
    Professor Q's guide to the 5E ControllerA guide to effective BFC. Preserved on google docs by Bidoum666
    Annual Cantrip Review started by FluffyBunbunkittens, reposted by Clokwerk66, review and discussion of the various at will cantrips available for use
    List of Useful and Powerful Spells started by Person_Man
    Conjurer of Cheap Tricks - A Conjuration Handbook by IxidorRS, reposted by Clockwerk66
    Know Your Rites: A Guide to Ritual Casting by Oraibi. Reposted by Clockwerk66by Oraibi, reposted by Clockwerk66
    MM Resistances, Immunities, Vulnerabilities, and Damage by Yorrin. Flinging balls of fire around may be neat, but it might not be the most effective element to choose to work with in the long run. For an idea of how often baddies are going to just shrug off your spell, have a gander at this analysis of creature entries from the Monster Manual

Spoiler: Setting specific materials
    Show

5E conversion for the Dark Sun Campaign world, a setting quite different from the usual. Check it out

Spoiler: Other useful threads and guides
    Show

The digital Dungeon A site Run by twitch, includes over a thousand pregenerated character sheets for quick starts
    D&D 5e Racial Stat Bonuses
    5e Subclass Directory Listing of subclasses and where to find them
    RPG BotSite dedicated to similar resources as those here, from multiple games, 5E included
    Lets Read: D&D 5E Monster ManualStarted by Mrconsideration, this thread presents a critical analysis of MM creature entries
    List of all official 5E stuff by Iceking
    Professor Q's Guide to the 5E controllerA guideline to dealing with one's enemies by means other than beating them up.
    5E Condition Immunitiesby Razuchee, lists off immunities by how common they are
    A Cross Source IndexBy Odigity, a listing of just where that racial variant came from
    BestiaryA listing of 5E creatures, sorted by both type and CR. Complete with abilities, stats, and descriptions
    Handbook to Guide Writingthe handbook of handbooks for handbooks by Dictum_Mortuum, reposted by Clockwerk66
    Celestial, Fey, and FiendA guide to familiars by Dire_Stirge
    Copperdogma's rewritten PHB index because the original could use work.
    Nanoboy's Random Weapon tables
    Pre-generated Character Repositoryby Iserith
    The Comprehensive Compendium of Considerable and Compelling CuriosA Magic Item Guide by MasterNamer. Reposted by Endarire
    Magic Item Math of 5e by mommywasanorc
    Sage Advice CompendiumArticle collating Q&As from the Sage
    Resource List for dndnextA listing of general DM and player resources ranging from character sheets to errata to adventure supplements
    Magic Item Distribution by FireLance, this guide gives DMs an idea of how much in the way of magical loot a party playing "default D&D" can expect to pick up
    DPR King Candidatesby Borg285, reposted by Clockwerk66
    Complete List of action recharge times by Jkat718, lists abilities by their recharge time, useful for planning action economy
    A useful DnD 5e Primer by Person_Man
    Feat Analysis; First impressions of a wanna be optimizer - by Beige
    The DM's guide to Pre-Game ambiguous RAW started by Corinath
    The Magic Economy by MukkTB is a great thread discussing Magic Items and using them as loot
    Know your enemyby Raleel, reposted by MerricB, a statistical analysis of the base stats from critters in the MM.
    D&D Next IndexPlaytest material Index, may be of use for inspiration, but don't use as a primary RAW reference, as much of the material has changed since

Spoiler: Amazingly Useful Websites
    Show

Ultimate D&D Resource Collection primarily a collection of adventures and other material from the 5E playtest, apparently put together by one James Firth
    This spell sorter/index is a massive compendium of 5e spells, sortable by every statistic. Great for spell casters.
    5E Premade Characters Site run by twitch, a massive listing of premade character sheets for all classes and levels. Perfect for that late addition to the table who needs a quick start
    Sage Advice - A massive compendium of tweets made from developers to players who ask them questions
    A Monster Analysis Blog Created by Surfarcher
    Monsters by CR - straight from WotC
    Encounter Builder Mostly a tool for DMs, this website helps one build challenging encounters for a group of a particular level and size.
    D&D 5th Edition Random Encounter Builder Another encounter tool, this one is made for the sake of generating random encounters quickly
    RK's D&D 5E treasure generator Adjust some setting, and automatically generate a treasure for your players to obsess over.
    D&D 5E resource list lists of spells, items, monsters, treasure and encounter generators, and more
    Alignment An explanation of D&D's oft contested alignment system.
    Fantasy Name Generators Name generators for a very wide variety of categories.
    Chaotic Shiny a long listing of random generators, from characters to holidays to simple maps. Not D&D specific
    Rangen another listing of random generators, also not D&D specific

Spoiler: Home Brew Material
    Show
    D&D 5e Homebrew Compendium Part 1 D&D Homebrew Compendium Part 2 A massive compilation of D&D 5E homebrew material, the good, the bad and the ugly. Whatever you're looking for, checking here is a good idea. Great work TwelveTrees!

A tool for the creation of Homebrew material that looks much like something from an official book.

5E Homebrew Guides Homebrewing guidelines for races and classes that break features down to basic point values. Posted by JamesMusicus

Weapon Damage Logic
    Guideline to weapon balance and homebrewing weapons of your own by Easy_Lee

D&Dwiki homebrewLarge collection of homebrew on a site well known as a go to for D&D knowledge.

Preset Class Tables for 5E HomebrewCreated by Ziegander, this is a collection of blank class tables for use in detailing your own hombrew classes/subclasses.

Spoiler: The Graveyard
    Show

The following is a depressingly long list of resources that are now defunct. Nearly all of these were once homed on the WOTC forums, which have been deleted. Any assistance in restoring or replacing these would be appreciated by many.

General Character Creation Guides
    The Mystic Warrior by Zogoro01, deals with creating a multiclass martial/mage, or 'gish' as many like to call them.
    Feat Evaluation Analysis Thoughts by Mellored, this rates ABI options outside of the context of class.
    Level Dip guide by Mellored. Offers advice on multiclass dips

Guides for specific in game actions
    Use an object action and thief by dwgautier a discussion on some of many uses that fast hands can get you

Other useful threads and guides

Professor Q's Guide to the 5E Controller by KaptainKrunch, this guide concerns effective battlefield control, an often overlooked yet gamechanging role.
    Feat Evaluation Analysis Thoughts by Mellored, this rates ABI options outside of the context of class.
    Non obvious combos Started by Zardnaar Tips and tricks to combine small features together to great effect

Amazingly useful websites
    Excel Spell Database Downloadable excel file containing spell attributes and concise description of its effects.

Home Brew Material
    Repository: Homebrew and original Content Collated by Kalani.

Spoiler: Credit!
    Show

Thanks go to several individuals who have helped in this thread and its progenitor by suggesting threads to add to the list. They include (but may not be limited to), GWJ_DanyBoy, T.G. Oskar, Zoltar, Thomar_of_Uointer, neovenator250, Xetheral, Greylind, Odigity, Rfkannen, Hymer, Rezby, Ghost Nappa, Krymoar, Dericof Diname, Santra, Kryx, Vegbru, dread05, demonslayer666

A user on the enworld.org forums by the name of Mistwell is apparently responsible for saving many of the threads thought lost in the WOTC forum shutdown. Thank you Mistwell

a similar thread by HeirRaktus on the community.wizards.com website was used to locate additional content. This thread no longer exists

WOTC resources section shamelessly stolen from an archived post belonging to Jkat718

This thread is the unofficial successor to "The META THREAD of useful things!", created by Corinath here Corinath then essentially disappeared. Rather than letting it die, this version was posted to keep the index growing

Enjoy the thread, I hope others get good use out of it.

By all means, please let me know if I have missed something or if there is new content out there. I'll be keeping an eye out, but of course I can't spot everything.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2020-07-01 at 06:39 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Guides, Tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

Reserved for the sake of my sense of paranoia

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Thank you. I cast Bless (Level 1 Enchantment, Bard / Cleric list) upon you and your camels.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Thank you. I cast Bless (Level 1 Enchantment, Bard / Cleric list) upon you and your camels.
    @ OP: I'll add my thanks. May your harem never be stricken with stretch marks.

Edit: Ooh, let me quickly detract from one of my competitors: 'Lunar Wilds' under Class Guides/Druid contains only CR 0 beasts (like you'd use those for combat!), and has not been updated in well over a month. My guide, however, deals with beasts CRs 0 through 6. *struts unashamedly*
    Last edited by hymer; 2014-10-15 at 01:43 PM.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

I started working on a wizard guide, http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ealy-REALY-wip

very work in progress so if anyone that has suggested then I would love them!

I mostly made it because I saw there was no wizard guide on your list.
    If you want to see some art here is my instagram https://www.instagram.com/rfkannen/

6. - Top - End - #6

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    Reposting was done principally because Corinath hasn't updated in a while, in spite of quite a few suggested additions being on hand. I hope to be a little more active in keeping this up to date for the long haul.
    Wonderful, thanks!

7. - Top - End - #7

Zombie

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by odigity View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rfkannen View Post
    I started working on a wizard guide, http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ealy-REALY-wip

very work in progress so if anyone that has suggested then I would love them!

I mostly made it because I saw there was no wizard guide on your list.
    Thank you both, and updated,

rfkannen, I look forward to seeing yours when finished.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Here's a question worth posing, considering the topic at hand:

Should Class Guides include Backgrounds and rate them for optimization? So far, I haven't because it just seems wrong to me pick what should obviously be an RP consideration based on optimization concerns, especially in this edition. Thoughts?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by EvilAnagram View Post
    Here's a question worth posing, considering the topic at hand:

Should Class Guides include Backgrounds and rate them for optimization? So far, I haven't because it just seems wrong to me pick what should obviously be an RP consideration based on optimization concerns, especially in this edition. Thoughts?
    Personally, i would say no. Simply because Mearls has already stated that it's ok to mix and match background features as you wish. So I think that would make it hard to rate them. Of course you could just do them as is, and rate the features and such. But I share your same concerns
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodshed343 View Post
    If they get a +3 maul, it should hit like a truck being thrown by a bigger truck. It's a LEGENDARY weapon. This ain't a random boulder on a stick. This is Kord's right nut.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrUberGr View Post
    There are 10 rays, and you roll a d10 to determine what rays it uses. However, this seems totally stupid, since it isn't a 3 Int monster that will just fart rays from its eyes when it gets angry.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

I'll take the opposite position, then.

While the intention of backgrounds is to incline towards roleplaying more than optimization, they do offer mechanical benefits in the way of extra skill, tool or language proficiencies. It's true that there is more leeway in how the system works, in that you can replace proficiencies, but this is limited to DM allowance. After all, it is extremely strange to have a Sailor gain proficiency in the Arcana skill, since it makes little sense in doing so (Nature would make more sense), or a Soldier to have proficiency in thieves' tools unless it also happened to be a street kid, in which case an Urchin makes more sense. Thus, you have to take the backgrounds as-is when making a build in the first place, and then cover for the alternatives: if the DM allows it, you could make a change, but if not, you need to have a fallback. This is a choice, and optimization guides aid readers in making conscious choices.

Think about it: if you're telling people which skill proficiencies are (or aren't) good, you're telling them the conscious choices. If the reader has an idea in mind that it wants to develop, though, it may find that recommendation to go against its wishes, and it'll ignore it. Leaving backgrounds undefined may cause people to make similar choices; if it's part of the build in terms of roleplay, no optimization guide will change your mind, but if it's the opposite (background is considered less for the roleplaying aspect and more for the optimization aspect), the reader will want a conscious judgment of each choice. Backgrounds can help pure optimizers to tap into their roleplaying aspect by giving them what they want to have the edge, and yet give them random ways to build their character. Note that Background Analysis stops at the roleplaying trait; it doesn't analyze the Personality Traits, Ideals, Bonds and Flaws because all of them are irrelevant to optimization. Proficiencies, however, are.

Thus, an analysis of all backgrounds in terms of how they are presented is necessary. Guides are made without houserules in mind, after all; assuming that because background aspects can be explicitly replaced doesn't mean it'll be the norm. Organized Play would be such an example, where Backgrounds may not have the same degree of alterations than on a particular house table.
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by T.G. Oskar View Post
    Thus, an analysis of all backgrounds in terms of how they are presented is necessary. Guides are made without houserules in mind, after all; assuming that because background aspects can be explicitly replaced doesn't mean it'll be the norm. Organized Play would be such an example, where Backgrounds may not have the same degree of alterations than on a particular house table.
    Excellent point
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodshed343 View Post
    If they get a +3 maul, it should hit like a truck being thrown by a bigger truck. It's a LEGENDARY weapon. This ain't a random boulder on a stick. This is Kord's right nut.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrUberGr View Post
    There are 10 rays, and you roll a d10 to determine what rays it uses. However, this seems totally stupid, since it isn't a 3 Int monster that will just fart rays from its eyes when it gets angry.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I can't say that I greatly mind them doing so, there are enough players who will want the mechanical aspects and will warp their background around them. To each their own.

Otherwise however, agreed. Backgrounds should be chosen principally for RP reasons. The system is flexible enough anyways that one can adjust to get skills you think are more useful if the presets aren't to your liking. Though I would encourage DMs to use some common sense in letting people match backstories to background bonuses.

For instance, one simple adjustment would be to swap out religion related items on the Hermit for their arcane equivalent, if playing a solitary wizard that locked himself in a tower to study for years.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2014-10-16 at 02:35 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Any DM who doesn't let players customize Backgrounds to match their story is being mean.

EXCEPT: Obvious munchkinhood, which I shall not attempt to define here but we know it when we see it.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

15. - Top - End - #15

Zombie

I think this thread may be worthy of inclusion:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ies-and-Damage

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Yorrin went through the MM and jotted down all the info on damage types here. Great stuff!
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

This thread should be stapled at the top of the forum!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Awesome resource. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Baptor View Post
    You never go full Samson.
    My 5e Homebrew:

The Bashou-http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...8#post18198938

The Episcan-http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...in-No-Episcan!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Thank you for the support, and for the suggestion. Main post has been updated.

20. - Top - End - #20

Zombie

Thank you for the support, and for the suggestion. Main post has been updated.
    Thanks for keeping it updated. It's going to continue to be a job for months or years...

BTW-I know I've seen a thread around with a list of ways to get reaction attacks, but I can't find it. Anyone know what I'm talking about, and can we get that added to the index?

Edit: Found it! It was linked to from the "Handy Links" section at the end of the Rogue guide. (http://community.wizards.com/forum/p...hreads/4147321)

Many of the links listed there might be worth adding to the collection.
    Last edited by odigity; 2014-10-23 at 03:12 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

http://www.refugionerd.com.br/5e-spell-compendium is another good website for sorting through 5e spells. It can also sort by range, duration, and casting time, which the current link to http://salty-ridge-7989.herokuapp.com/ does not.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Thank you once again for the suggestions, I'm a bit too busy at the moment to give sorting through the extra links my full attention, but I'll get on it as soon as the opportunity arises.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Please remove my fighter's guide. I have stopped work on it.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    Please remove my fighter's guide. I have stopped work on it.
    No intention of ever touching it again? Or just not a priority for now? If it is the latter, I can simply tag it as being incomplete and on hiatus for the time being.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

25. - Top - End - #25

RedKnightGirl

I don't remember how I found this, but under "other useful links" you can include this encounter-builder: http://kobold.club/fight/#/encounter-builder

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

No intention of ever touching it again? Or just not a priority for now? If it is the latter, I can simply tag it as being incomplete and on hiatus for the time being.
    The first.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Halfling in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I don't know if you would be interested in these that I wrote up, I don't know if you would call them guides, but they are sort of overviews on turning class concepts into paper characters.

The Li'l Chef - A Dex Barbarian who uses summon beast to find some dinner

The Crazy Alchemist - Some ideas on how to have fun with items

One Shot, One Kill - A look at using the Rogue as a sniper, adding some Bond/Spy in there because it's SAD

Does that cloak come in large? - This is a Mafioso style, Strength Rogue, it uses some debatable rules to Grab and Stab, most people don't like that part, but even without the Grab and Stab it's a Str Rogue

If this is of no interest to you, I will delete this message if you'd like.

28. - Top - End - #28

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Krymoar View Post
    I don't know if you would be interested in these that I wrote up, I don't know if you would call them guides, but they are sort of overviews on turning class concepts into paper characters.

If this is of no interest to you, I will delete this message if you'd like.
    There's no need to delete your message, regardless.

I think it'd be useful to many people to have a convenient list of pre-built character concepts, especially if they find one similar to what they want and benefit from the discussion of design choices. Problem is, there's a near infinite number of possibiltiies, so whoever's maintaining that index is going to be updating and reorganizing the list constantly -- and I don't even know what method would make sense for organizing that list into categories. So, I would suggest it might make more sense in a separate thread, with a link to it from this one. (Rather than linking from this one directly to each of thousands of possible character threads.)

29. - Top - End - #29

Zombie

Good thread about Beast Master Rangers, specifically:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...18-Breaking-BM

Another good thread (same author) exploring dual-wielding Warlocks, specifically:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...W-Damage-Build

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

All right, big update, multiple links added, and a few others were re-categorized. A total of four new categories have been added.

Concerning specific character builds I do agree with Odigity, and would suggest that someone look into making a thread dedicated to specific character builds, but until one exists I'll go ahead and link to some of them here, at least so long as it does not get out of hand.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D