New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Default 3.5 Dominate question

in 3.5 how many things can 1 caster have dominated at one time? Is it limited only to one?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: 3.5 Dominate question

I'm pretty sure there's no limit

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

As many as you can keep track of to make sure you renew the spell in a timely fashion. I recommend keeping a ledger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

(Number of spells per day of a level compatible with desired dominate) X (Caster Level). Gotta keep track of them.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    (Number of spells per day of a level compatible with desired dominate) X (Caster Level). Gotta keep track of them.
    You can always use higher level spell slots for that certain Dominate....

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

You also need to keep a record of what things each dominated creature strongly opposes, or 100 dominated creatures with unknown ways to break free could get messy fast.

Well that or a random foe with a magic circle against evil could walk in...
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2012-10-07 at 03:26 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

At this convenient juncture, I refer you to the Evil Overlord List: "48. I will treat any beast which I control through magic or technology with respect and kindness. Thus if the control is ever broken, it will not immediately come after me for revenge."
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldebryn View Post
    You can always use higher level spell slots for that certain Dominate....
    Ah Mind Rape. The most Permanent of Dominates.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Ah Mind Rape. The most Permanent of Dominates.
    It has the added bonus of automatically letting you know everything the target does, which can snap unprepared campaigns like a twig. If you Mindrape someone with higher checks in Knowledge skills than you (scholarly types, casters of all stripes, spies, etc), see if you can be treated as having their number of ranks, if it's higher than yours. You know everything they do, after all..

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    It has the added bonus of automatically letting you know everything the target does, which can snap unprepared campaigns like a twig. If you Mindrape someone with higher checks in Knowledge skills than you (scholarly types, casters of all stripes, spies, etc), see if you can be treated as having their number of ranks, if it's higher than yours. You know everything they do, after all..
    You took a look at that information once, while they've spent years studying. It's the difference between flipping through a book and writing it.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    You took a look at that information once, while they've spent years studying. It's the difference between flipping through a book and writing it.
    I would agree, but it says "the caster... learning everything the creature knows", rather than using a verb like observe, hear, or notice. Learning heavily implies retention, while the language which would support your post do not. Listening to a lecture or reading a book isn't learning; getting the information into your head and keeping it there is learning.
    Last edited by Slipperychicken; 2012-10-07 at 07:55 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

All the amazing speculation aside...What page is the level rule and such found on? in the PHB under the spell it says nothing of saving throws after the first and didnt see a limit.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blue1005 View Post
    All the amazing speculation aside...What page is the level rule and such found on? in the PHB under the spell it says nothing of saving throws after the first and didnt see a limit.
    Well, the caster level limit is because you can only hold onto control for days/CL. Here's the rules for things like additional saving throws. You have to renew your domination every time the time would run out.

14. - Top - End - #14

NecromancerGuy

In practical terms, a half dozen or less, depending upon what the dominated creatures can do, that actually participate with the party, at least at any one time. Usually more like... 3 or less with 4 being more of the edge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Thanks, now if I wanted to have a psion dominate how would that change anything?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks, now if I wanted to have a psion dominate how would that change anything?
    It's still basically the same arrangement; the only difference is the exact calculations involved. For example, a Psion 11 (earliest level you can augment psionic dominate for 1 day/level without Overchannel or other ML boosters) would have enough pp for maybe 13 dominates per day, at the very most (and literally nothing else). 13 x 11 is up to 143 dominated slaves, but at the cost of having nothing to spend on emergencies. Or a Psion 13 could Extend the same power and have more than twice as many.

Really, it's limited more by practical concerns and margins of error than theoretical pp reserves.
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    It's still basically the same arrangement; the only difference is the exact calculations involved. For example, a Psion 11 (earliest level you can augment psionic dominate for 1 day/level without Overchannel or other ML boosters) would have enough pp for maybe 13 dominates per day, at the very most (and literally nothing else). 13 x 11 is up to 143 dominated slaves, but at the cost of having nothing to spend on emergencies. Or a Psion 13 could Extend the same power and have more than twice as many.

Really, it's limited more by practical concerns and margins of error than theoretical pp reserves.

You get the dominate spell at like level 9 i thought? And you dont have to spend those power points daily to maintain do you? It says all you need to do is concentrate on it one round to maintain it, doesnt say recast it.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

You get the dominate spell at like level 9 i thought? And you dont have to spend those power points daily to maintain do you? It says all you need to do is concentrate on it one round to maintain it, doesnt say recast it.
    A Psion can get the Psionic Dominate power at level 7, but it takes level 11 to use the 4 point augment to get a duration of 1 day per level. At that level it will last 11 days, so you do need to recast it on each person once every 11 days. If on each of those days you recast it on a different batch of people, you can maintain 11 separate batches of dominated subjects, each of which has 13 members. With that tactic, then, you can dominate 11 * 13 = 143 people.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Duration: Concentration means you have to spend a standard action every round maintaining it. This is not generally viable for more than one target at a time. (douglas has already correctly answered the rest of your post.)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Yes, it is also horribly horribly evil, and will likely get you a nice trip to one of the more hellish lower planes for employing it. So unless you are actually playing an evil campaign/character (of 17th level or higher), this should really be reserved for villains.
    "If your heart is fearful throw away fear; if there is terror in it throw away terror. Take your axe in your hand and attack. He who leaves the fight unfinished is not at peace." -The Epic of Gilgamesh

21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Twilightwyrm View Post
    Yes, it is also horribly horribly evil, and will likely get you a nice trip to one of the more hellish lower planes for employing it. So unless you are actually playing an evil campaign/character (of 17th level or higher), this should really be reserved for villains.
    If you're a 17th level wizard you probably don't plan on dying soon anyway. Also, quite a few people (myself included) consider the [Evil] tag as completely misplaced on Mindrape.

It can do 3 things, none of which are [Evil] on their own:

-Allow you to read a target's thoughts (Neither Detect Thoughts or any other mind reading spell is [Evil])
    -Allow you to modify a target's memories and personality (Modify Memory is not [Evil]; Sanctify the Wicked is a [Good] spell that alters a target's personality).
    -Allows you to leave the target affected by Insanity (which is also not [Evil])

22. - Top - End - #22

Dominate as in the spell or power normally cast has no limitations, seen here:
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dominatePerson.htm
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/po...atePsionic.htm

Dominate is an enchantment or a planted telepathy, there's no real connection after the initial instance.

Other forms of mental command such as a rebuke undead would have an HD limit due to it's use of binding oneself to the commanded creatures by the use of negative energy.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    As many as you can keep track of to make sure you renew the spell in a timely fashion. I recommend keeping a ledger.
    Why bother keeping track? Just use Necrotic Cyst + Necrotic Tumor (or Monstrous Thrall) and maintain a permanencied Interplanar Telepathic Bond with all of your dominated minions (allows you to stay in communication with them all).

Or use Mindrape, but that's not technically a dominate spell, per se.
    I guess this forum is some kind of mystical afterlife for dnd nerds who die during internet discussions? All the greatest internet heroes argue here every day about physics and dnd, rise again when slain, and enjoy a dining hall which serves them unlimited quantities of heavenly food like ramen, soda, alcohol, and birthday cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Yes, the underwear of my epic wizards are more than capable of conquering your average world on their own.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LordBlades View Post
    It can do 3 things, none of which are [Evil] on their own:
    -Allow you to read a target's thoughts (Neither Detect Thoughts or any other mind reading spell is [Evil])
    Reading thoughts, and instantly knowing everything the creature knows (memories and all) are kind of completely different things xD
    -Allow you to modify a target's memories and personality (Modify Memory is not [Evil]; Sanctify the Wicked is a [Good] spell that alters a target's personality).
    I think you are forgetting that this spell takes close to no time and has no limit in creating, erasing, and modifying memories while Modify Memory can only edit 5 minutes, taking 5 minutes to do (even with unlimited castings per day it would literally take a lifetime to alter a lifetime), and has many limitations including not being able to go against the target's natural inclinations.

Also, in regards to Sanctify the Wicked, in D&D Good and Evil are pretty clearly defined. Destroying all Evil is Good. Saving Evil from itself even by force is even more Good (didn't know how to phrase that, haha). It's the act of forcing Evil to become good over the course of an entire year at a great personal sacrifice that makes it a Good spell.

-Allows you to leave the target affected by Insanity (which is also not [Evil])
    True, but this is nitpicking at it's finest.

Of course by comparing Mindrape to a whole bunch of spells one at a time without acknowledging the major differences is going to make it seem like it shouldn't have the [Evil] tag. However, it is not just one effect to be compared. It's the fact that Mindrape is all of those spells improved and combined to be used instantaniously, more difficult to "cure", and more importantly with all limitations removed.

The spell is specifically designed for you to be able to turn someone into your personal hard drive. You can instantly save, erase, copy, modify, format, corrupt, etc their mind at-will permanently (for the most part). To top it off, they don't even remember if you so choose! Better yet, make them insane after you rape their mind as well! Scorpius from Farscape anyone? Even if you choose to just do the most basic function of the spell (the only one you have to do), than you instantly know everything they ever have which is a pretty perverse intrusion of the mind. Imagine how disturbed, violated, and angry you would be if someone suddenly had a copy of your entire life in their head.

That and the greatest reason of all...fluff.
    Last edited by AlchemicalMyst; 2012-10-08 at 09:24 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Death? We solved that 8 levels ago. And the Deluxe Version just kicked in. As the sufficiently-paranoid 17th level casters we are, we can kick the lower planes arses literally to Hell and back... if we don't feel like just going into hiding or summoning a horde of angels, that is.

But I agree, it's absolutely broken, and really should be avoided by both DMs and players alike, unless they like truly brutal and unforgiving games. I disagree with the rules on the Evil part, since it can just as easily be used for Goodness (no more Evil than a Dominate spell of permanent duration. It's how you use it that matters).

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Alleran View Post
    Why bother keeping track? Just use Necrotic Cyst + Necrotic Tumor (or Monstrous Thrall) and maintain a permanencied Interplanar Telepathic Bond with all of your dominated minions (allows you to stay in communication with them all).

Or use Mindrape, but that's not technically a dominate spell, per se.
    Don't you need a feat to use the Cyst spells? Why bother when you can just renew the casting every once in a while?
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

27. - Top - End - #27

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AlchemicalMyst View Post

Also, in regards to Sanctify the Wicked, in D&D Good and Evil are pretty clearly defined. Destroying all Evil is Good. Saving Evil from itself even by force is even more Good (didn't know how to phrase that, haha). It's the act of forcing Evil to become good over the course of an entire year at a great personal sacrifice that makes it a Good spell.
    So forcing evil to become good at no personal sacrifice and instantaneously is somehow not Good? It's one of the things you can do with Mindrape. There are just as many good ways to use that spell as there are evil.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by LordBlades View Post
    So forcing evil to become good at no personal sacrifice and instantaneously is somehow not Good? It's one of the things you can do with Mindrape. There are just as many good ways to use that spell as there are evil.
    It's only [Good] if it sucks relative to the [Evil] version.
    Last edited by Slipperychicken; 2012-10-08 at 03:00 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Incidentally, Tainted Scholar's can use Mind Rape to turn the lords of the lower planes into paragons of good. Enough Mind Rapes, some remodeling, and a bit of PAO and you've got yourself a mirror of the the heavens down where the sinners reside.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Domination is only evil if it's used irresponsibly. If all your commanded thralls are required to do is come to a predetermined location and give you a report at the same time you renew the effect, you've just created a very reliable info network with a fairly minimal loss of dignity. It's certainly not good, but it's not inherently evil either. Whether your controll over a subject is evil or not depends entirely on what you do with it. Under special circumstances it can even be good.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlchemicalMyst View Post
    Reading thoughts, and instantly knowing everything the creature knows (memories and all) are kind of completely different things xD

I think you are forgetting that this spell takes close to no time and has no limit in creating, erasing, and modifying memories while Modify Memory can only edit 5 minutes, taking 5 minutes to do (even with unlimited castings per day it would literally take a lifetime to alter a lifetime), and has many limitations including not being able to go against the target's natural inclinations.

True, but this is nitpicking at it's finest.

Of course by comparing Mindrape to a whole bunch of spells one at a time without acknowledging the major differences is going to make it seem like it shouldn't have the [Evil] tag. However, it is not just one effect to be compared. It's the fact that Mindrape is all of those spells improved and combined to be used instantaniously, more difficult to "cure", and more importantly with all limitations removed.

The spell is specifically designed for you to be able to turn someone into your personal hard drive. You can instantly save, erase, copy, modify, format, corrupt, etc their mind at-will permanently (for the most part). To top it off, they don't even remember if you so choose! Better yet, make them insane after you rape their mind as well! Scorpius from Farscape anyone? Even if you choose to just do the most basic function of the spell (the only one you have to do), than you instantly know everything they ever have which is a pretty perverse intrusion of the mind. Imagine how disturbed, violated, and angry you would be if someone suddenly had a copy of your entire life in their head.

That and the greatest reason of all...fluff.
    This whole argument is undone by a single spell; Programmed Amnesia (CAr pg 118). It does everything mindrape does and then a couple more things but it's not an evil spell.

WotC did as good a job as anyone can really expect of codifying something as complex as human morality, but they have a horrible track record of tagging spells appropriately. Deathwatch is evil? Seriously?
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2012-10-08 at 03:45 PM.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign