New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Search Troubles

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Search Troubles

Every time I try to search for anything using the search function in the top bar, I am given a 500 Internal Server Error. Is this happening for anyone else? Am I doing something wrong?
    Homebrew:
    Endless Thanks go to Akrim.elf for the excellent avatar of an antique Gordon-Style Letterpress. With haberdasherical accessory.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Search Troubles

You are not doing anything wrong. Searches using the sites engine often results in failure, more so for some users than others. This is a known issue resulting from the server being used beyond capacity (IIRC). They do want to upgrade the server, but have yet to do so. A quote from the news feed:

Quote Originally Posted by GITP news, 1/7/2012
    One thing that is coming along is the dream of a separate server for the forum. While the ad revenue has been rocky, we've also come up with some ideas that may lower the cost (but require additional technical research). Our hope is to meet somewhere in the middle over the next few months, so that the forum can finally have the server that it so sorely needs.
    Patience, and the issues will eventually be resolved.
    In the mean time, feel free to try using a google search with "site=giantitp.com" as part of the search.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Okay, thanks for the tip!
    Homebrew:
    Endless Thanks go to Akrim.elf for the excellent avatar of an antique Gordon-Style Letterpress. With haberdasherical accessory.

4. - Top - End - #4

BlueKnightGuy

I seem to be having the same problem. It started a few weeks ago. About half of all my searches got the error. I have tried searches using Internet Explorer, Firefox, and now Chrome. In the last week, I have received errors on all of my searches.
    I underwent "Specialized High Intensity Training" for the English language. My training focused on avoiding abbreviations and acronyms. Not all of them are a good thing.

5. - Top - End - #5

The best replacement for now is to use google and type "site:giantitp.com" followed by a space and insert whatever you're searching for.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kansaschaser View Post
    I seem to be having the same problem. It started a few weeks ago. About half of all my searches got the error. I have tried searches using Internet Explorer, Firefox, and now Chrome. In the last week, I have received errors on all of my searches.
    Same thing. No more searching for a while.
    I wonder how many threads we'll have about this before it's back up again...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Same thing. No more searching for a while.
    I wonder how many threads we'll have about this before it's back up again...
    Not as many as you'd think, considering this thread is older than the disablement...

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

*looks*

Oh...