New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: One Piece -- Discussion

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, most was mentioned already... Though I wonder why Shirahoshi knew or what the meaning behind it is...

The scene with the 100.000 outlaws confused me a little but meh...

Also, omg, he killed teh sexy! Hody, you bastard?! How could you?! Though, I keep wondering how precise her predictions are. Maybe she just saw some guy with a hat (Decken) and assumed it must be Luffy?! Considering Decken is throwing a ship half the island that sounds very reasonable to me.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ettin in the Playground

Shirley is Arlong's sister???
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

3. - Top - End - #543
    Barbarian in the Playground

I honestly thought that it was some sort of translation error when I first read it, (with the abundant use of "Aniki" in One Piece, that wouldn't surprise me) but it looks like it's actually true! But, how in the world does that work? Are they actually half-brother and sister, or can mermen and fishmen freely *ahem* together? just how strange can a person's family tree be in One Piece?
    "Why is it that we receive a penny for our thoughts, but have to put in our 2 cents?"

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

Fluttershy in the Playground - third place

4. - Top - End - #544
    Ettin in the Playground

In the case of fishmen and mermaids, really strange indeed. Apparantly, not are they just compatible with each other and humans, all the different subspecies are compatible as well, and they have genetic memory dating way back, meaning some traits can skip generations. And by "traits", we don't mean anything as trivial as eye or hair color, but extra limbs and poison glands.

Imagine - in human society, just the kid having an off hair color can render on parent suspicious of the fidelity of the other. In the case of marine people, two shark can get a squid and go "eh, it doesn't mean anything". o.o

5. - Top - End - #545

What if the trait skipping could apply to humans as well?

Imagine a woman giving birth to an octopus fishman and start freaking out, only to be reassured by her husband that it's okay because his grandfather was an Anglerfish fishman.
    "Why is it that we receive a penny for our thoughts, but have to put in our 2 cents?"

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #546
    Ogre in the Playground

They explain that you know. In the very arc we're in. Mermaids and Mermen don't have to be the same as the parents or their siblings. A Fishman is a Fishman no matter what type he is. Same with mermaids.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Ettin in the Playground

Exactly. That reminds me of Lovecraft's Deep Ones, actually. Interesting parallel, there.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Banned

I can't help but think that, if the Energy Steroids are like supermega steroids, that side-effects include extreme acne, weight gain and gender swapping. This will leave Hodi as a fat, pimply old lady.

9. - Top - End - #549

Quote Originally Posted by Tebryn View Post
    They explain that you know. In the very arc we're in. Mermaids and Mermen don't have to be the same as the parents or their siblings. A Fishman is a Fishman no matter what type he is. Same with mermaids.
    The point of contention for me is that up until now, fishmen and mermen were stated to be two separate species. If Shirley is really Arlong's brother, then that means that a fishman and a mermaid's children use the same trait skipping randomness instead of producing some sort of hybrid that would be formed if a human and a mermaid had kids together.

What's the point of stating them to be two different species if genetically, they behave exactly the same? Heck, if Arlong had kids, would they also have a chance to be mermen as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Dvandemon View Post
    I can't help but think that, if the Energy Steroids are like supermega steroids, that side-effects include extreme acne, weight gain and gender swapping. This will leave Hodi as a fat, pimply old lady.
    I see that my influence is spreading. (though it was hanzo66 that gave me the idea to use mega instead)

I like this idea. Someday, Hody will be the flabby has-been Governator, but for now, he is the Terminator, and he'll make sure everybody knows it.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ettin in the Playground

It could be Fishmen and Mermaids are different species, but share Genus with each other and humans. Hybrid offspring are possible in the same way as Ligers and Tigons. The genetic memory mechanism mermaids and fishmen both have are likely similar in principle, but not in content. What traits are activated in hybrid offspring is a total crapshoot that could depend on any number of environmental factors.

One could probably write couple biology essays on how it could work, and what the implications are, really.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I guess the fishmen/mermen issue can't be discussed with real world biology as I think it's impossible with Ace' mother's pregnancy... Oda doesn't care for science! Or maybe they aren't different species but merely different phenotypes which happen to be named differently. Like... male and females but on another scale. But yeah, I better not delve too much into it, last proper biology class was a while ago and I still have issues to wrap my mind around insect sexes. Damn haploid genoms.

12. - Top - End - #552

And this is why I don't do biology. Anything more complicated than Pokemon breeding is far too much for me.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #553
    Banned

I still don't get pokémon breeding. Anything more than Punnett squares really.

EDIT: About the new chapter, All I can say is that Hodi is gonna fall. HARDCORE Also,
    Spoiler
    Show
    what would happen if Shirahoshi stood on that ship?
    Last edited by Dvandemon; 2011-07-13 at 01:19 PM.

14. - Top - End - #554

I'm not sure if anyone here has seen this, but Universal Studios Japan has recently erected replicas of the graves of:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Not sure if it would be spoilers still, but just to be safe) Ace and Whitebeard!

You can find the pictures here, but you'll need to let the images load. The monuments are about 2/3 down the page.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #555

Well, with no new chapter this week, I needed to figure out how I'm gonna get my weekly One Piece fix. I decided to catch up on the anime episodes that I've been missing (especially the Funi Dub episodes).

For those who don't know, Funimation provides free streaming of One Piece anime episodes for those who live in America (I don't know for sure if it is available for those in other countries though, sorry)

Anyway, you can find the episodes on Funimation's own website or on One Piece Official (just go to "videos")

Since the Funi Dub is on the G8 arc right now (which is in my opinion, the best filler arc in One Piece), I'll say this:
    Spoiler
    Show
    *sniff* We'll never forget you Condoriano! Truly you were the greatest among the Straw Hats for willingly sacrificing your position as a pirate to pose as a Marine so that the rest of the crew could escape! Three cheers for Condoriano: scoundrel, pirate, and friend.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #556
    Dwarf in the Playground

Condoriano hmm. I only know the manga, so are the one piece anime fillers worth watching?

17. - Top - End - #557

In general, the fillers are worth watching. You'll see some of the cover stories animated and fleshed out (Coby and Helmeppo, the split up Straw Hat crew) and some other unique islands on the Grand Line. The only filler that I really disliked are the Alabasta filler before they reach Erumalu, and the filler that occurs just before Thriller Bark. (Don Accino was pretty much the only good thing to come from that filler)

The G8 arc is exceptional because it links really well with the previous arc and it showcases every Straw Hat crew members skills outside of combat. It even has Nico Robin demonstrate some of her skills as an assassin. Usopp successfully lies, (albeit the ruse lasts a short time) and Usopp's lie was where Condoriano was created. He was really a marine inspector, but his incompetence always helped the Straw Hats.

Edit: Finally caught up in anime episodes, and just in time for the new episode tonight.

Edit Edit: Just found out that there is apparently no new episode until next week.
    Last edited by Vent Reynolt; 2011-07-23 at 10:43 PM.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #558
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

New chapter...

Spoiler
    Show

Bout friggin' time.

Looks like freeing Zoro, Chopper, and Brook happened off screen. Nice gambit on Nami's part though.

I'm still wondering who the "main" villain of the arc will be: Hodi or Van der Decken? Looks like they're both still in the running.

19. - Top - End - #559

New chapter is out, and it felt like forever:

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, it turns out that there was another witness to the assassination, and that Megalo told Shirahoshi. With Hodi being constantly compared to Arlong, it makes sense that there would be a parallel to Nami in this arc.

We also get to see that Shirahoshi does possess a great strength of character in her ability to not hate Hodi. Unfortunately, while I admire Shirahoshi's resolve, Hodi's response was perfect.

Anyway, as Hodi goes to execute the King and the Princes, and all hope seems lost, the entire island starts calling out for Shirley's prediction to come true right there. Turns out that they'd rather see Fishman island destroyed than see Hodi take it over to use for his plans.

Not to sound conceited or anything, but:
    Quote Originally Posted by Vent Reynolt View Post
    Later than usual for me, but, shiny new chapter:

Spoiler
    Show

-snip-

Now where is Luffy? Inside Megalo's mouth, maybe?
    I was right about where Luffy was.

Next, Nami shows up. Seems that she has perfected her mirage technique for total invisibility (Absalom and Sanji must be pretty jealous). The Clima Tact no longer has dials in it though, it must be further improved by Weatheria technology. Also, Nami pickpocketing; we almost never see her doing that, it's certainly her least used talent.

Finally, the Sunny falls out of the sky and frees the Princes, and the King, and we end with an awesome group shot of the Straw Hats (plus Jimbei and Shirahoshi and Pappug). Once again, it looks like Usopp isn't nearly as fearless as he would like to believe.

Shouldn't that giant ship be heading straight for Shirahoshi? How long will it take to reach them?

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #560
    Titan in the Playground

Well, yeah, awesome new chapter.

Spoiler
    Show

Finally Straw hats back... though I call BS on Luffy not interfering when Hodi beat up the royals... No way he'd stand by on that, really

But yeah, the Strawhats are there and considering their power levels and superior numbers the enemy will be down faster than one could possibly imagine... only trouble might be the ship heading for them but...meh, enough ways to take care of that.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Troll in the Playground

Hody is so very very dead.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #562
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chapter read.

Spoiler
    Show
    It was incredibly satisfying seeing Hody finally get told to shut the goddamn hell up by one of the Straw Hats; even in his uber state, it looks to me like he's completely outclassed by the strawhats. This is the second time he's gotten obliterated in one hit, although with all the 'roids in his system, he'll probably be too stupid to quit until he keels over.

As for his comrades, I'm predicting curb-stomp massacre in the Straw Hats' favor followed by Van Der Deken ruining the celebration with his own last-ditch gambit to destroy the island.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Vent Reynolt View Post
    The G8 arc is exceptional because it links really well with the previous arc and it showcases every Straw Hat crew members skills outside of combat. It even has Nico Robin demonstrate some of her skills as an assassin. Usopp successfully lies, (albeit the ruse lasts a short time) and Usopp's lie was where Condoriano was created. He was really a marine inspector, but his incompetence always helped the Straw Hats.
    It's also right next to Ocean's Dream (as yawnsome in reality as concept) and a double helping of Stupid Foxy (The Davy Back arc is twice as long in the anime as the manga, in the manga it's there as a breather between Skypiea and the emotional rollercoaster that is Water 7/Enies Lobby, in the anime there was G8 for that and everything else feels like filler).

24. - Top - End - #564

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    It's also right next to Ocean's Dream (as yawnsome in reality as concept) and a double helping of Stupid Foxy (The Davy Back arc is twice as long in the anime as the manga, in the manga it's there as a breather between Skypiea and the emotional rollercoaster that is Water 7/Enies Lobby, in the anime there was G8 for that and everything else feels like filler).
    Yep, this is a rare instance of a filler arc that might actually be better than the official story arc. However, the Foxy arc did give us Afro Luffy. Plus, for all his silliness, Foxy was clever enough to take full advantage of his devil fruit in whatever way that he could. So Foxy arc had some things going for it.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #565
    Banned

But...Shirahoshi, would it not have been just to punish the person who perpetrated the crime? Can't wait to see Hodi destroyed. I just got the feeling that only reason he got roided up was to serve as the Worf when they take him down

26. - Top - End - #566
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Well, yeah, awesome new chapter.

Spoiler
    Show

Finally Straw hats back... though I call BS on Luffy not interfering when Hodi beat up the royals... No way he'd stand by on that, really

But yeah, the Strawhats are there and considering their power levels and superior numbers the enemy will be down faster than one could possibly imagine... only trouble might be the ship heading for them but...meh, enough ways to take care of that.
    It's kind of hard to interfere when you haven't been vomited out by the shark yet.

...One Piece: creating sentences you'd never expect to read, ever!
    I have no regrets. This is the only path.

27. - Top - End - #567

New episode of One Piece is up on One Piece Official

Spoiler
    Show
    As usual, Franky steals the show.

Also, it's still not answered yet. Why did Vegapunk put in a self destruct button? And more importantly, Why would he make it explode the moment the button is pressed? Don't self-destruct sequences usually give several minutes? At least Vegapunk breaks from the norm here.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #568
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Also, it's still not answered yet. Why did Vegapunk put in a self destruct button? And more importantly, Why would he make it explode the moment the button is pressed? Don't self-destruct sequences usually give several minutes? At least Vegapunk breaks from the norm here.
    That seems pretty clear to me, its Self-destruct, you push the shiny button if you want to destroy yourself.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

29. - Top - End - #569

New chapter is out, yay:

Spoiler
    Show
    Cover Page: Brook, what are you doing there?

So, chapter begins with Jimbei telling Luffy to become the island's hero. I'm not even sure that a Luffy Hero would even taste that good. Bologna or ham would taste much better than rubber.

Anyway, we all know that Luffy agreed to the plan, so we get back to what's happening in the present.

Dangit Brook, Mermaids don't even wear panties. Also, 2 new weapons for the Sunny?! I can't wait to see them!

I think that Zeo is gonna be my favorite of the New Fishman Pirates. His reaction to being completely ignored is amazing.

Then, Hody Jones starts to talk about what he'll do as king. He even goes on to claim that he'll be Pirate King! Big mistake right there.

Hmm, 10 measly pirates, Hody says. Jimbei confirmed for Straw Hat crew now? Okay, not necessarily, but still, they beat 10,000 at Enies Lobby, what difference will 90,000 more make? Apparently, not much, because Luffy takes out half of them all by himself. Also, Sanji knows about King's Dispositon, interesting.

Confound it, chapter ends just as Franky would unveil the new "Soldier Dock" weapon.

Lastly, this Jump was a double issue, so no One Piece Next week.

Rnadom prediction: The giant ship, Noah, crashing into Fishman island will be what separates the Straw Hats and the officers of the New Fishman Pirates into who they will be battling. (Can't wait to see who fights whom)

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #570
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Gotta say, I was a bit disappointed today... Okay, I guess we needed a recap of the plan because some parts of it weren't obvious enough. They a lot of talk which I guess needs to be done once in a while... andthen maybe we can finally get to the promised fight? Nah, Hodi needs to talk about his evil plans, too.
    But then, will we fight...? Oh, yeah, the guys get ready... wait, what, Luffy just took out half of them? Dude, leave some fun for the others! Yeah, that really... wow... Okay, there are still 50k left but it was still selfish...
    Okay, I guess next issue will be more fighting and though I don't see how the officers even would pose any challenge for the pirates, unless they pump themselves with steroids.