New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default How much time has passed since the beginning of OotS?

I've just noticed that "only" two years ago Nale and his father conquered the nation for the Empress of Blood. Obviously this happened before the Linear Guild met the Order of the Stick in the first strips, am I wrong? So, has anybody an account of how much time has passed since the first adventure in the dungeon?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: How much time has passed since the beginning of OotS?

We know one year has almost passed since the Battle for Azure City Glorious Conquest of Gobbtopia, so about six months for the events from Dungeon of Dorukan to the Battle seem accurate.
    Last edited by The Pilgrim; 2010-05-20 at 05:46 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

It’s already stated in-comic that there has been almost a year since the Battle of Azure City. There aren’t any real good indicators of the time that passed before then, but it was likely no more than a few months. So best we can say is “a little over a year.”
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

We know from On the Origin of PCs that Roy and Belkar met only a few days before the first strip, and the graph of Belkar's evil given in #489 implies that it's a little more than a year between then and Roy's death. That would make it more than two years since then to now, although probably not MUCH more.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    We know from On the Origin of PCs that Roy and Belkar met only a few days before the first strip, and the graph of Belkar's evil given in #489 implies that it's a little more than a year between then and Roy's death. That would make it more than two years since then to now, although probably not MUCH more.
    Hm. Then I’m figuring this “two year” quote for the establishment of the Empire of Blood may be rounding down.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

We hear from Haley that she got the letter from Tyrinaria "two years ago", and that was "eight months ago" according to Origin. So aside from the definite one year date since the battle (confirmed by two characters), that leaves about four months to somewhere near a year for the events prior. (since it's not unreasonable to think that Haley and Tarquin rounded down when giving their two years remarks.)

7. - Top - End - #7

BlackDragon

The graph I pointed out above contradicts that, though, because it pretty clearly shows a year or more between the founding of the Order and the battle of Azure City.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

From #489, we see that Roy met Belkar (and thus formed the OOTS) early in 1183. They celebrated the new year 1184 in Azure City. There has been no indication of another year passing before the oracle's prediction of Belkar dying by the end of the "in-comic" year, so it's currently late 1184 (less than seven weeks, according to Roy).

So, the comic has covered approximately 9-10 months of 1183, and 11 months of 1184. So, about a year and 9 months.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by k_bukie View Post
    From #489, we see that Roy met Belkar (and thus formed the OOTS) early in 1183. They celebrated the new year 1184 in Azure City.

Actually, here, it states that the new year, for the north, was several months before:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0302.html

However, it's possible that the chart uses thr Southern calender- given that Belkar's "evil level" shows a sharp drop immediately before the new year 1184- and he was Marked on Shojo's orders very shortly before the turn of the Azurite new year.

We don't know how long it took between the new year and Roy's death though- but probably not very long.

According to the Deva, Roy has been adventuring with Belkar for "a year"- so she may be rounding down a bit.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2010-05-21 at 11:33 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

10. - Top - End - #10

Interesting note- Redcloak, 1 week after V's attack, says "in six weeks, we will mark the 1 year anniversary of the conquest of Azure city"

Given that Roy says, right after being resurrected, that "if Belkar's plan takes more than 7 weeks, it's not a problem":

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0666.html

then this would imply, that the "conquest" is at the very beginning of the year.

Maybe he's only counting from the moment they started marching on Azure City in strip 300, not the day it fell and they took control of it?

Though it's possible that "It has been a hard week" doesn't refer to how long it's been since V's attack, I doubt it.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0703.html
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2010-05-21 at 11:37 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Well, we know the army was already moving when Azure City celebrated the New Year.

12. - Top - End - #12

True- however if this strip:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0300.html

and this strip:

are taking place on the same day or so, then it means there's only a difference of a day between New Year 1184 and Beginning of March.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    True- however if this strip:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0300.html

and this strip:

are taking place on the same day or so, then it means there's only a difference of a day between New Year 1184 and Beginning of March.
    Thought is not not my strong suit. However, isn't that explained by assuming that the Azurites New Year is two months after the 'Northern' New Year?
    Last edited by Forias; 2010-05-21 at 12:33 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think that it's apparent after reading this thread what a bunch of colossal nerds we are.

And that's cool

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

However, it's possible that the chart uses thr Southern calender- given that Belkar's "evil level" shows a sharp drop immediately before the new year 1184- and he was Marked on Shojo's orders very shortly before the turn of the Azurite new year.
    Although this is a good idea, I’m not certain.

First of all, a different calendar would likely carry with it a different reference point for numbers. Or even a different way of identifying years entirely. On the Origin of PCs establishes the 1183/1184 numbering as part of the northern calendar.

Second, it looks like two or three months have passed in 1184 by the end of the chart. Even an overestimation of the time between Southern New Year and Battle of Azure City shouldn’t really put them more than a few weeks apart. And given Roy’s seven-week estimate and Redcloak’s speech, doesn’t seem to be more than one week between them.

So I’m gonna have to go with Northern Calendar on that chart.

I think the best explanation for the drop at the end of the chart is that it represents the point where Miko captured the Order. Probably just after the “Stupid railroad plot” bit, though, since Belkar did get up to some shenanigans at the inn. Belkar’s later escape attempt, being over the course of only a few hours, wouldn’t really show very well at the chart’s resolution, despite the depravity of the act. So I think it is a good match.

16. - Top - End - #16

Hadn't thought of that.

If so- how would it interact with Redcloak's figure of 1 year minus 6 weeks since the conquest?

And did the Oracle use Northern or Southern calender?

If he used Southern, but Roy thought it was Northern, then maybe Roy's belief that Belkar will die in seven weeks (as of end of DStP) is wrong, and he actually has another 3 months to play with?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Hadn't thought of that.

If so- how would it interact with Redcloak's figure of 1 year minus 6 weeks since the conquest?
    Well, unless Azure City or the Goblins use a lunar calendar or something like that, 1 year is 1 year. It doesn’t matter if the 1 year anniversary is on March 25 Northern Calendar or January 10 Southern Calendar. So that doesn’t really cause much problem. In fact it meshes up pretty nicely with Roy’s prediction (see below).

And did the Oracle use Northern or Southern calender?

If he used Southern, but Roy thought it was Northern, then maybe Roy's belief that Belkar will die in seven weeks (as of end of DStP) is wrong, and he actually has another 3 months to play with?
    Roy almost certainly is using the Southern calendar. The Battle for Azure City took place only a week or so after Southern New Year. Given the way Roy’s prediction coincides with Redcloak’s statement about the one-year anniversary of that Battle, the prediction would have had to been made at some point after Northern New Year. This would also confirm for Roy that the Oracle was not using the Northern calendar, so he would know enough to adjust any calculations he had already made about the prediction.

Now for some wild, baseless speculation: The Oracle is a Kobold that worships a Western god. Who’s to say he uses the same calendar as Southern Azure City humans?

18. - Top - End - #18

BlackDragon

It makes a lot of sense that the chart would be using the Northern calendar, because Eugene said that side of the mountain was where worshippers of the Northern gods went to be judged--the deva's computer would be using a calendar familiar to the people she's expecting to deal with.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Hey, it's one of those threads where I think I can answer the question easily, but will only end up spawning a billion new contradictions! I love those!

1.) Everything that references a year number "1183" or "1184" is using the Northern calendar. The Southern calendar has a different year attached, but I have avoided using it to keep from confusing casual readers (e.g. anyone not posting on this thread).

2.) The Oracle is using the Southern calendar in his prediction to Roy. Meaning that the "seven weeks" Roy talks about is the time until the new New Year, exactly one year from the celebration seen back in Azure City.

3.) All other references are to relative time...no matter which calendar Redcloak uses, a year is a year, and during the Gobbotopia scenes he announced that it was six years until the one-year-anniversary of the battle. Since the battle took place about a week after the New Year, that means two weeks have passed since Roy's "seven weeks" comment--a few days to travel to Sandsedge, a week spent searching the desert, and a few days looking around the cities on the continent.

4.) The chart the deva shows should not be taken too literally. I didn't necessarily consult all possible references on how much time had passed when I drew it. I fudged it.

5.) Likewise, the "Eight months ago..." box in the bonus strip in Don't Split the Party is absolutely wrong; it should be more like ten months and some change. I think. I may still be getting it wrong.

There. Now you all have new fodder to point out new inconsistencies. BEGIN!
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    3.) All other references are to relative time...no matter which calendar Redcloak uses, a year is a year, and during the Gobbotopia scenes he announced that it was six years until the one-year-anniversary of the battle. Since the battle took place about a week after the New Year, that means two weeks have passed since Roy's "seven weeks" comment--a few days to travel to Sandsedge, a week spent searching the desert, and a few days looking around the cities on the continent.
    The goblins attacked ONLY a week after New Year? That's like some one punching you in the face right after you finish a piece of birthday cake.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

More like ten days, but yeah.

2 days to get to the Oracle.
    2 days to get back from the Oracle.
    1 day to go to Cliffport and back.
    3 days to walk back from the roc's nest, and for Elan to fly on the Mechane.
    1 day for Miko to go crazy.
    1 day preparing for the battle.
    --------------
    =10 days, or about a week.
    Congratulations, you can link to TV Tropes. This does not mean you have special insight into the storytelling process, much less the author's mind. Stories don't need to fit into neat boxes, you know.
    Spod has it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasilich View Post
    You not reading the comic isn't going to make this comic any less awesome for all the rest of us.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    The goblins attacked ONLY a week after New Year? That's like some one punching you in the face right after you finish a piece of birthday cake.
    Look at it from the hobgoblins' perspective.
    "Our New Years Resolution is to wipe out that verminous Sapphire Guard once and for all!"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey, wow. I was pretty spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by SPoD View Post
    More like ten days, but yeah.

2 days to get to the Oracle.
    2 days to get back from the Oracle.
    Can cut off some time here, I think. We can only confirm that they camped on the way back from the Oracle. So it’s possible that it’s three quarter marching day to the Oracle, quarter marching day to campsite, then half a marching day back to Azure City. That puts us as more like a day and a half total there. So it could be only 7 and a half days.

But, yeah, I don’t think any of that really matters.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Exactly. They are the bad guys you know..
    Currently RPG group playing: Endworld (D&D 5e. A Homebrewed post-apocalyptic supplement.)

My campaign settings: Azura; 10,000 CE | The Frozen Seas | Bloodstones (Paleolithic Horror) | AEGIS - The School for Superhero Children | Iaphela (5e, Elder Scrolls)

25. - Top - End - #25

So now we only have to work this new clarifications into the old Ooots timeline speculations! Or vice versa!

Hey, it's one of those threads where I think I can answer the question easily, but will only end up spawning a billion new contradictions! I love those!

1.) Everything that references a year number "1183" or "1184" is using the Northern calendar. The Southern calendar has a different year attached, but I have avoided using it to keep from confusing casual readers (e.g. anyone not posting on this thread).

2.) The Oracle is using the Southern calendar in his prediction to Roy. Meaning that the "seven weeks" Roy talks about is the time until the new New Year, exactly one year from the celebration seen back in Azure City.

4.) The chart the deva shows should not be taken too literally. I didn't necessarily consult all possible references on how much time had passed when I drew it. I fudged it.

5.) Likewise, the "Eight months ago..." box in the bonus strip in Don't Split the Party is absolutely wrong; it should be more like ten months and some change. I think. I may still be getting it wrong.

There. Now you all have new fodder to point out new inconsistencies. BEGIN!
    There aren't really any exclusive or original ideas on TVTropes. That's kind of the point.
    - Nerd-o-rama.

Avatar by kpenguin, who is gratefully acknowledged!

26. - Top - End - #26

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by SPoD View Post
    1 day for Miko to go crazy.
    1 day preparing for the battle.
    The battle took place the day after Miko killed Shojo, I think, so there's only 1 day there, not two.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cealocanth View Post
    Exactly. They are the bad guys you know..
    Nope. I'd say the sapphire guard were pretty much just as bad as them *points at sig*.
    I mean if I understand correctly they kind of implemented a plan of carefully co-ordinated genocide for a cause that only Shojo and his precessors were actually aware of. Really the Paladin's are much worse than Shojo or Soon Kim. At least those two knew there was a quasi good reason behind their actions, the Paladins themselves were killing for the sake of 'it is evil or likely to become evil therefore it should die'

He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    — Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

My characters
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    The battle took place the day after Miko killed Shojo, I think, so there's only 1 day there, not two.
    I think you're right. Even better, then.
    Congratulations, you can link to TV Tropes. This does not mean you have special insight into the storytelling process, much less the author's mind. Stories don't need to fit into neat boxes, you know.
    Spod has it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasilich View Post
    You not reading the comic isn't going to make this comic any less awesome for all the rest of us.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

no matter which calendar Redcloak uses, a year is a year, and during the Gobbotopia scenes he announced that it was six years until the one-year-anniversary of the battle.
    Redcloak uses the Wormhole Calendar.
    Please write all sarcasm in blue text. All metaphors should be marked in red text and for any split infinitives, please use green. Thank you.

30. - Top - End - #30

BlueKnightGuy

I hereby summon the spirit of JRR Tolkien and its obsession for exact dates (i.e: voyage of the Black Riders to Hobbiton) to work out this situation.