New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Default [Umzamo] Adanar By Cometlight (A Campaign Journal)

Adanar by Cometlight

Welcome to my second campaign journal! After my successful journal of Doomriders, and by popular demand, I will be chronicling my second campaign. First session was last night, and it appears to off to a fantastic start, though I’ll let you be the judge of that. We are playing using the system our DM created, called Umzamo.

Cast of Characters

Spoiler
    Show
    Gav Jagger: Human swashbuckler, lighthearted and mostly carefree. He seems to be somewhat of a magnet for trouble, in my humble opinion. This is a good thing, as it leads to a lot of fun. (Played by Cade Rentyr, both as he is known on this forum and was his character last campaign)

Urgrim: A crazy dwarf barbarian, even by dwarf standards. With reason, apparently… Horribly scarred and disfigured. Drinks heavily, though that might not be too different from normal dwarves. An exceptional fighter. (Played by The Werebear)

Yhennon Dei: A slightly older human mage. He has the ability to shapeshift into a giant bird, due to a nasty magical accident. Cautious, but not without reason. His alternate persona, Bloodhawk, has yet to say a lot. (Played by a newcomer, though he did assist last campaign by acting as my extra intelligence and familiar. He knows EXACTLY what he’s getting into being a mage in this campaign. He was warned. Repeatedly.)

The Nobleman: His name is currently a secret, as is most things about him. Wears very nice breastplate and wields a dagger-axe (Essentially, a weaponized scythe.) (Played by Keito’s player)

The Ninja: At this point, we have received assistance from a sixth party member. Who may or not be a ninja. Confirmation will follow if we can actually find her. Ninja are tricky like that. (Probably played by Lossëlen)

Guy D’Masque: Your host this campaign and yours truly. A changeling rogue, in both senses of the word: a human child kidnapped by the Fey and someone who wears more faces than shirts. He doesn’t quite understand the concept of personal property (or anyone’s property but his own,) and sometimes the concept of morality.

More information about the setting (and probably characters) will be revealed as we know it. However, this is the same world and general setting as Doomriders, though we’re on a different continent and in the year 980 IA instead of 555 IA. Maps and such to follow soon.

Chapter 1: All Hell Breaks Loose. Or: Kill It With Fire!

Spoiler
    Show

The session begins, not in a tavern, but in a teahouse. (Blame the regional taste.) The Golden Teahouse, located in the city of Rimtown in the country of Adanar, is a two level establishment, with one balcony overlooking the edge of the plateau and the mangrove forests underneath, and the other side overlooks the river. In a mostly hidden corner, Urgrim is drinking himself into a stupor on some (probably vile) rotgut and people are leaving him mostly alone. The Nobleman is seated on the top floor with a balcony level view of the river, with people bowing and scraping to please him. I am sitting on the top balcony, also near the view of the river, but not at the same table as the Nobleman. I am wearing my long leather coat, a red hat with a feather in it, and a mask, mostly because I can.
    Spoiler
    Show
    This mask, specifically (though less pixilated)

Yhennon enters the teahouse, asking around for a library or a place of knowledge or something, and not having much luck. He joins me at my table when he’s done asking around. He already knows me a little, and we know that we’re both polymorphs.

On the other side of the balcony, some … person … is making a racket, warbling a sailors’ song very off-key, generally being an obnoxious drunk. Gav is cavorting back and forth, annoying the other patrons as he takes clumsy drinks from a cup that never seems to spill. The Nobleman is attempting to affix him to the wall from across the room with the most venomous glare he can manage, with mixed results; the drunken fool does cease his song for a moment, but only long enough to snigger to himself before belting headlong and louder yet into the next verse, grinning right at five feet to the left of the Nobleman.

One of the patrons on Gav’s end of the room attempts to get Gav into trouble by deliberately moving his teacup into the drunk’s path, which Gav somehow gracefully avoids, sweeping his leg over both the teacup and patron’s head. Gav then drunkenly salutes him and walks off… After a beat or two of surprise the irritated patron hurls his teacup at Gav’s head… Unable to quite catch the cup, Gav deflects it off the balcony to rain its contents down upon another table.

“HEY! What are you doing up there?”

“It’s not us, it’s this bloody foreigner!”

At this, the table below stands up and gets ready to come upstairs for trouble. They have to pass close by Urgrim, who advertises his “Don’t mess with me” attitude by deliberately putting his (masterwork) pickaxe on the table. Meanwhile Gav, having swept stealthily across the room, glides into a seat next to Yhennon and myself, casually flipping his glass up into the air and catching it again without spilling a drop of its contents. Intrigued, I ask my friend the mage if he can do that. The ‘drunk’ laughs and shows us the bottom of his empty cup. “Evening gents.” …He’s completely sober. “Shame about that tea, eh?” …And very smug with himself. Yhennon introduces himself, and asks the stranger’s name.

“Name’s Jagger, Gav Jagger. You can call me Gav, Jagger, Jag, Guy, Friend, [Explicit Expleting Expletive] or Hey You. Perhaps you’ve heard of me?”

“No, ‘fraid I haven’t. That’s quite the coincidence though, because my friend here is also called Guy.”

We talk for a bit. The slightly menacing crowd appears to have lost track of Gav temporarily.

A peasant enters the bar, making unsuccessful propositions to various tables of patrons. Spying this, Gav excuses himself and glides away again, dramatically and sarcastically stoop-bowing to the Nobleman as he passes. Fortunate for him, as the crowd of annoyed patrons appears on our balcony opposite shortly following his exit. As they pass by, I temporarally give myself a woman’s voice and say “Good luck boys!” Some do a quick double-take, and one appears to hesitate, apparently torn between continuing the chase and chatting with this mysterious person. As the management converges on the peasant and attempts to usher him out, Urgrim gets up, stalks over and asks why they’re ejecting him. “He’s a commoner.”

“So am I. Come on.” The waiters retreat from the grim-looking dwarf, leaving the peasant to repeat his proposition. Bowing and scraping, which the dwarf cannot and will not allow, the man informs Urgrim that his village is under attack from bandits and such. Urgrim offers to help ‘pro bono,’ and suggests they look around for anyone else willing to help.

Seated at the bar immediately behind him, Gav spins ‘round and claps his hand on the dwarf’s shoulder. “I’m in.”

“Pro bono?” Urgrim asks.

“Sure.” Pause, frown. “…Well, all right, I might want some feed for my mule.” Pause. “…Well, and for me.”

The peasant quickly and gladly offers food. Gav glances over at his shoulder at his fan club emerging onto the ground floor, smirks, and quips at the dwarf, “Up for a good bar brawl?”

“Oh aye,” he replies, cracking his knuckles. The two hustle the peasant out the door, with Urgrim handing him his pickaxe and instructing him not to lose it and to wait there.

Yhennon and myself observing curiously, the two reenter the teahouse, where a crowd of ruffians with blue arm bands (the SkyFist gang, not the Blue Arms of Doomriders fame) are waiting to beat them to a pulp. “We don’t want your kind here, foreigner scum.”

There’s a little bit of general taunting, followed by the lead SkyFist attempting to throw a punch at the dwarf. It would have been a spectacular hit… if it wasn’t thrown for human height. As is, it completely misses. Urgrim responds with a critical unarmed strike to a very natural place for him to punch. Every man in the room winces in instinctive sympathy. (To satisfy reader curiosity, this does include me at the moment.) Gav joins in enthusiastically, breaking into the same sailor’s song, perfectly in tune. He throws a couple punches himself before putting someone in a headlock and crowing “It’s on, lads!”

Urgrim throws another critical hit to the same area of the next guy in line. Morale of the next guy breaks, and he flees. Quickly. The man Gav is grappling flops to the ground, taking Gav with him and allowing his buddies easy kicks. Gav sweeps the man’s head through one set of feet, dropping another body to the ground.

The Nobleman suddenly sweeps past Yhennon and myself and jumps from the balcony down to the ground floor, landing on another group’s table (sending tea in all directions, but he’s a noble, so he can get away with it). He sweeps over to the brawl. “No no, it’s not polite to kick a man when he’s down,” he calmly declares with a fist to the face of one of Gav’s attackers.
    Yhennon and I are watching this unfold, and he encourages me not to jump in and do anything stupid. He creates an ice slide and we go around the side of the building. I re-enter the room and try to startle people into breaking and running off… only to realize that I haven’t trained Intimidate. And my roll is low. It’s hard to intimidate people by yelling “HEY! LISTEN!” in a high, squeaky voice.

Urgrim tackles another fighter into the bar, flipping him over and into the barkeep. Caught suddenly between him and the Nobleman, one ruffian tries to get a better angle on the fight by jumping onto the bar and onto the second-floor balcony. SOMEONE punches him in the face as he lands. It might or might not have been a ninja. We don’t know. Regardless of what hit him in the face, he plummets back down to land about where he started from. The Nobleman reaches down, pulls him to his feet and holds him in a Full Nelson facing the dwarf. About this time I arrive and punch out the last prone opponent Gav is wrestling with. The swashbuckler picks himself up, dusts off, sweeps a drink off the closest table and prepares to enjoy the spectacle to come as the dwarf winds up.

The owner of the drink he swiped promptly sweeps Gav off his feet, catches his cup out of the air and pours said drink out on his face. Gav’s response it to bark a laugh. “Thank you sir, may I have another? Nice sweep, by the way.”

The other man smirks. “Crane style.”

CRUNCH! The dwarf knocks the poor soul held by the Nobleman into unconsciousness. He MIGHT need those ribs. "I hate bullies. Stop being one."

We are quickly and quietly ushered outside by the management. “Thank you for taking care of that. Now get out.” Urgrim gave the barkeep half a luna (dwarven common currency, used pretty much everywhere) per unconscious fellow.

The peasant starts babbling about his village. After genuinely shaking the Nobleman’s hand, (“Never met a noble who enjoyed a good brawl. Like you better already!”) Gav spontaneously and rather rudely lifts my mask and peers at the face beneath, so we don’t notice that the peasant has stopped and is looking up at the sky in horror. When we do notice, we see sparks and ice dancing across the sky. Dark clouds cover the sky from horizon to horizon. Lightning is flashing.

Quite suddenly, Yhennon has to make a Fort Save. He fails, being a frail old man, and he begins emptying his stomach on the earth. In the middle of the vomit is a single brilliant emerald, which is pulsing… slowly at first, and then faster and faster until it’s eventually just a solid glow. The pulsing is accompanied by a sound that eventually becomes just a powerful hum. Yhennon picks up the emerald, examining it. As the glow and hum reach a peak… the gem crumbles to dust, the wind blows the dust away, and the earth heaves. All but Gav and I are immediately thrown to the ground. We’re thrown to the ground the next round.

Yhennon is able to identify what’s happening. It’s happened a couple of times before. The Umzamo Comet has arrived. The elements go out of control and magic dies… society tends to collapse for the 25 years that the Comet is in orbit. Hell comes to the world.

With the heaving earth, we notice fire all around the city. Buildings are collapsing, boulders are bouncing around, and the sky is an odd greenish shade. The teahouse begins collapsing, and Gav and I try to help people get out. Yhennon tries to create a brace to support the side of the building. He desired to create “solid organic matter.” Instead of the braces he meant to create… it summoned three plant demons. Three spined, vined plant demons. They fall upon the remaining crowd inside the teahouse with terrible efficiency, obliterating groups of them in single actions. The walls are quickly coated --dripping-- red. The Crane Style master who tripped Gav orders his students to “Go, tell the master! I will hold them off.”

He strikes a combat pose and faces down the demons, ignoring Gav’s cry of “Are you insane? Get your butt in motion!”

We’re torn between conflicting instincts of heroism and common sense. Thankfully, the ground isn’t heaving as much as it was, so we can stand without further Acrobatics checks. Gav and I attempt to pull people through the door away from the demons. Yhennon is still a little stunned. Urgrim runs around the building to where the wall is sagging to try to distract the demons. The Nobleman pulls himself to his feet.

The wood demons overwhelm and grapple the Crane Style master and begin to pull. This… doesn’t look good. I attempt to shoot one of them to get them off, but my arrow bounces off harmlessly. Gav throws a rock, which shatters against one of the creature’s “heads.” It’s a beautiful toss, but it has no visible effect. Urgrim runs around the side of the building, pulling out a bottle of rotgut and tearing a strip of fabric from his shirt, stuffing it into the bottle neck. The Nobleman throws a bottle of wine at the closest demon. Yhennon decides, probably wisely, that remaining here forfeits our lives, and shapeshifts into a Medium sized bird and runs. The town isn’t a pretty sight. Fire, screams (“There’ll be good eating later,” his predatory animal instincts tell him) and general chaos from all directions.

Urgrim begins to light the flint and tinder, and the elements-in-chaos decide to lend a helping hand… lightning arcs down, exploding the bottle, setting everything in a small radius on fire. Urgrim thankfully, senses the lightning coming and throws the bottle, so he isn’t struck directly, though he does catch aflame. Unfortunately, his effort is one round too late; inside the teahouse, the demons rip the master apart, and one of them reels back into the wall. This, combined with the blast, weaken the wall enough for it to collapse --outward, onto the dwarf. Rather than roll Reflex to avoid it, Urgrim attempts to reduce the damage of the wall falling on him by essentially Bull Rushing the falling wall. What’s more? It works. One of the demons falls into a sinkhole that develops where the wall used to be. While the rest of us begin to rush past him (and promptly double-take) Urgrim runs and LEAPS across the pit, almost clearing it. Sadly, he doesn’t quite make it, but he trails enough flaming matter and splashing rotgut (practically oil) behind him to begin to singe all three of the demons. That entire corner is now ablaze, dealing damage to each demon and Urgrim. He is, by the way, completely calm and composed (underneath his activated barbarian rage anyway) kind of like this isn’t the first (or worst) time this has happened.

The rest of the party is kind of in shock. Gav readies an action to leap back from any attempted grapples and hurries toward the pit to attempt to reach our crazy dwarf. It was a good decision; the demon in the pit with Urgrim immediately attempts to grapple the approaching human, sending him scuttling back.

This is one less wood demon to grab the dwarf, however, which is exactly what the other two further within proceed to do. Remember the bottle of wine the Nobleman threw at these guys earlier? Word to the wise: don’t grasp flaming dwarves when coated in alcohol and made of wood. It takes some additional fire damage. The cellars vent some flame, dealing more fire damage in the area.

I run to the side of the building, drawing rope from my pack and tying it to one of my arrows. Back at the entrance through which we escaped, the Nobleman tries to get a better look at the city (it isn’t pretty.)

Yhennon/Bloodhawk likewise tries to determine best routes of escape and keep an eye on the peasant, who is crawling away in a sort of frenzied panic.
    I fire the rope-arrow to give Urgrim a path back. Gav, (wisely) unwilling to charge through an inferno and leap a ten-foot-wide pit containing a wood demon, rushes around to the entrance by the Nobleman. Rather than fight the grapple, Urgrim climbs up out of the hole and essentially helps the two pull him, readying an action with another bottle of rotgut from his bag. Yhennon changes back into human form and rushes toward me, yelling “Fire in the hole!” before collapsing like the tired old man he is.

I interpret Yhennon’s message as best I can; I crouch and shoot through the flames into the hole. Using my Fairy Godmother feat, (yes, I did just say that. Ask me afterward) I strike one of the demons in the “eye.” It is more of a spongy fungus than any sort of organic matter, and it releases spores into the air. Urgrim makes his fort save against… whatever… effect they would have. The spores, however, ignite, dealing more fire damage.

Speaking of… Fire damage keeps ticking every round when, in the immortal words of “So once again, Probability proves itself willing to sneak into a back alley and service Drama as would a copper-piece harlot.” This is natural fire, dealing 1d6 damage a round. When Tam rolled for fire damage for everything in the room he rolled a natural 15. Truly. The die landed on a corner and stopped with the 4, 5, and 6 faces up. One of the fire demons lashed to the dwarf dropped then and there.

One tethering force suddenly gone, Urgrim launches toward the other, and activates his readied action, smashing the bottle of rotgut squarely into the demon’s ‘face’, setting off another miniature explosion, and then using the broken remains of the bottle to begin ‘scooping’ large chunks of its eye out.

Yeah, that’s what we thought too.

The demon in the pit lashes onto Urgrim’s legs and begins to pull. The Nobleman sees that now victory seems possible. He rushes in to strike with his scythe, but fails to connect. Gav follows him in and, activating his own Fairy Godmother feat, critically strikes a demon on a power attack, bisecting it and freeing the dwarf’s arms. Urgrim, sensing an opening, attempts to use gravity for an improvised charge, impaling the remaining demon on his pickaxe, also killing it. The three party members inside quickly vacate the building, Gav glancing at the dwarf and commenting “Crazy git!” under his breath --in admiration.

We remind Urgrim to stop, drop, and roll. “Right. I’m still on fire.” He takes the last bit of fire damage… and then, that very round, his rage wears off and he falls unconscious from non-lethal damage. (He is mysteriously healed over time by a Unicorn-style user --essentially ki-healing-- who may or may not be a ninja.)

Yhennon is utterly aghast and somewhat dazed, from a combination of the Umzamo comet’s effects and the utter insanity of his newly acquired associates. “You’re crazy. You’re ALL CRAZY!” he repeats in various levels of voice and disbelief.

Gav claps him on the back and chuckles. “Welcome to the life, friend.” He turns to the Nobleman and (ostensibly) the ninja. “So. Name’s Gav Jagger. Ever heard of me?”

Session Break.

Chapter 2: Eh, It's Just an Apocalypse.

Chapter 3: Setting up Shop. Or: So a Medium-Size Bird and a Cave Gnoll Walk into a Bar…

Chapter 4: A Brilliant Bargain

Chapter 5: A Brazen Attack. Or: Plots Poison and Plague, Oh My!

Chapter 6: It's Not a Matter of Where He Grips It!

Chapter 7: Quandary in Solace Or: Another One Bites the Dust!

Chapter 8: Odds, Ends, and Oni

Chapter 9: The Secrets of the Famous Gav Jagger. Or: You Thought I Was Serious?
    Last edited by Fayd; 2011-02-25 at 06:10 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Umzamo] Adanar By Cometlight (A Campaign Journal)

Awsome. Great to see this up.
    So this is the non-magic campain? hmm.
    And the mage barfed up an emerald when calamity struck. nice touch.

...how long before he has to reroll a character, I wonder?
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Interesting start. I will be keeping an eye on this...
    Normal avatar by Darwin. Many thanks!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    Along with your avatar, your class is the bard.
    Indeed it is, now that I think about it. Bard in the Playground

From Murska's City: Eternally Unlucky

Retired Werewolfer

4. - Top - End - #4

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I'm just sad there isn't a "being on fire" style. It tends to happen an unfortunate amount with some characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraneaux View Post
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

tongue Re: [Umzamo] Adanar By Cometlight (A Campaign Journal)

'allo. This is Yhennon Dei's player speaking.

Yes, I am a crazy man for choosing to play a mage in the campaign where magic goes away. My logic is as follows:

"Just because magic is going away, doesn't mean mages will. They'll just be very grumpy."

I knew from the beginning that choosing to play a mage in this campaign is the worst possible idea ever. As someone who classifies himself as a powergamer or a min-maxer, I wanted to try something opposite of my modus operandi for my first gaming session, just to make it an even more unique and memorable experience for me.

I can assure you, however, that I have no intention of dying. Dei is far pluckier than that, and has survived worse than what we're seeing here. (As you will come to find out in good time.)

Until then, I hope you enjoy the journal and have wonderful, happy days!

~Dei
    Avatar generously donated by Feichi... wait.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Very quick and well done update, Fayd.

I am sure this one will quickly turn out pretty epic as well. Also, I approve Feichi's character, because playing a mage in this setting seems very interesting - roleplaywise. But you probably won't survive Tam's later encounters. Maybe you could start using elemental bending or something like that.

How close to death was our heroic dwarfen friend?

Are all your characters foreigners? Is this region actually "asian", people "asian" looking?

The notion unicorn style is pretty hilarious by the way.
    Last edited by Bharg; 2010-08-29 at 07:36 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Bharg View Post
    Very quick and well done update, Fayd.

I am sure this one will quickly turn out pretty epic as well. Also, I approve Feichi's character, because playing a mage in this setting seems very interesting - roleplaywise. But you probably won't survive Tam's later encounters. Maybe you could start using elemental bending or something like that.

How close to death was our heroic dwarfen friend?

Are all your characters foreigners? Is this region actually "asian", people "asian" looking?

The notion unicorn style is pretty hilarious by the way.
    Urgrim got to... about maybe a quarter health? Regardless, due to how negative HP works in Umzamo... he was still a LONG way from death. He has an awesome CON. The reason he dropped unconscious was the non-lethal damage he took in the barfight. If he hadn't gotten punched in the nose in the barfight, he would have stayed conscious.

As for subraces: Technically, both Yennen and myself are Conns, natives, ironical, to the area around where Doomriders took place, or at least close by. Gav is Illian, oddly, just like Cade was (this was an accident.) The Nobleman is Qen, a Chinese/Japanese type of people. The Ninja is... probably somewhere around here.

And Unicorn Style is just one of many martial arts styles, some mystic, some decidedly not. They are all named after magical animals if they are a mystic style or normal animals if they are not.
    Last edited by Fayd; 2010-08-29 at 10:14 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Well, that's why I took the shapechanger route. Magic is still down, but I am still a shapechanger. It makes me more 'combat' viable. Being a mage still sucks mind you, but without being toooooo cheap, I don't intend to let myself die.

Mostly, my magieness will be spent utilizing my knowledge of magic, religion, and history. I mean, really, every party needs big knowledge checks. ;P

Oh, and planning ahead, both for prepping for combat and trying to find ways to keep the group alive.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

The vine demons appeared to be more dangerous to me since they shreddered this master so quickly. How much health does he have?

I really like the idea of naming some styles after magical animals other than the dragon, maybe. Totally fits the setting. The Unicorn style stances have to look pretty fancy.

SO shapechanging is not affected? Is it not magical? First I kinda expected you to end up as a bubbling puddle or something like that.

10. - Top - End - #10

Planetar

The vine demons appeared to be more dangerous to me since they shreddered this master so quickly. How much health does he have?

I really like the idea of naming some styles after magical animals other than the dragon, maybe. Totally fits the setting. The Unicorn style stances have to look pretty fancy.

SO shapechanging is not affected? Is it not magical? First I kinda expected you to end up as a bubbling puddle or something like that.
    Dunno how much health he had... The demons were 3rd level though.

Shapechanging as magic is affected. Shapechanger as the Feat is not.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

I'm glad this new campaign is continuing as crazily as Doomriders ended! Hurrah!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGirl

Why did you start without me?! You can count me out from now on.
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar by Ms. Nobody, and picture by Ironshod on deviantart.com; Thank you.

Someone hold me, I'm cold!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Dwarfs on fire? And does not appear to mind it? And booze explosion?

Very DF.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Lighting yourself on fire and attacking plant demons. Now that's a great way to start a campaign.

Do you think you could post the details of this system later? I'm DMing for some friends and it'd be interesting to run a martial arts based campaign.

15. - Top - End - #15

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 2xMachina View Post
    Dwarfs on fire? And does not appear to mind it? And booze explosion?

Very DF.
    I hadn't thought about it, but you're very right. Maybe I should invent a style and call it "Demon Elephant"
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraneaux View Post
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

You should add the word "Drunken" to the title, since it involves alcohol (unless the dwarf plans to light himself on fire with other stuff).

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RdMarquis View Post
    You should add the word "Drunken" to the title, since it involves alcohol (unless the dwarf plans to light himself on fire with other stuff).
    Well, there is a Drunken Monkey style. 'Bout what it says on the tin, really --bonus dice to pretty much everything concerning fighting so long as you are inebriated.
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Ms. Nobodyby Herpestidae

Profile avatar of Gav Jagger, swashbuckler in Adanar by Cometlight, by Starwoof.
    Sig avatars of Cade Rentyr courtesy of Ms. Nobody and Herpestidae respectively.
    Thank 'ee each in turn.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

All the guy needs to do is go monk/drunken master and rename himself Fistbeard Beardfist.

I love that the dwarf is basically all of the tropes out there rolled into one.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGirl

Never mind.
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar by Ms. Nobody, and picture by Ironshod on deviantart.com; Thank you.

Someone hold me, I'm cold!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snowstar View Post
    Why did you start without me?! You can count me out from now on.

I'm sorry.
    Spoiler
    Show

Profile avatar of Gav Jagger, swashbuckler in Adanar by Cometlight, by Starwoof.
    Thank 'ee each in turn.

21. - Top - End - #21

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
    I'm glad this new campaign is continuing as crazily as Doomriders ended! Hurrah!
    Well... that's kind of an interesting point. Last campaign, we ended by stopping a Demon Lord from getting onto the Material. This campaign starts with one already here. That's right: The Comet is a Demon Lord. Or something like that... or something that controls the comic. The evidence is in the Tiefling Heritage feat... in addition to the Extraplanar and Evil subtypes, they also gain a "Gift" from one of the Demon Lords... one of the gifts being the Gift of the Comet...

Though I should make it clear that this is a personal hypothesis, not certain fact.
    Last edited by Fayd; 2010-08-30 at 11:37 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

So you could actually go and visit grandpa if you would have taken this feat in this campaign?

Is a Shapechanging feat alone strong enough to make mage dude playable?

23. - Top - End - #23

Planetar

So you could actually go and visit grandpa if you would have taken this feat in this campaign?

Is a Shapechanging feat alone strong enough to make mage dude playable?
    Not sure what you're asking with the first question, but with regard to the second... yes. Yes it does. By and large because it essentially gives him a second character sheet. He still has to be REALLY careful with regard to HP and such, as damage will transfer between forms. But he's playable this way.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

Lo' upon these words, thoses wondering why, despite the 'death' of magic, the mage can still change shapes.

His ability to change shapes is not an entirely magical one, but rather deeply rooted in the nature of his very existence and the shape of his soul. In fine, by way of magical accident prior to the beginning of the campaign, Dei's soul was mostly destroyed. Only two fragments of his soul remained afterward. One resided bound to his familiar, the other bound to the Emerald Tower's school of magic where he had conducted his research. After the accident--an event that will probably be explained later--occurred, in order to save him the remaining fragments of his soul were pieced together. This had the side-effect of fusing him with his familiar, Bloodhawk. Now, the two minds effectively share one soul and one body--the form of which being determined by which of the two is presently "driving."

Does that make more sense now? :3

Yhennon Dei's player,
    ~Feichi!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

How is it no one has commented on the nat 15 on the d6 yet? Do these freak accidents of probability happen to everyone? Is this not as jaw-dropping as we think it is?
    Last edited by Cade Rentyr; 2010-09-01 at 04:53 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Thank 'ee each in turn.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

No, no. It just still hasn't sunk in yet. The WTF factor has not yet worn off.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

actually I missed it. going over the story again now, just to find out what your talking about with that.

Edit:
    Ah, I see. as a coin lands on it's edge, so can a die balance on a single point. Jolly good show, I never thought a poorly tossed die could roll so well.
    Last edited by flabort; 2010-09-01 at 08:40 PM.
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

28. - Top - End - #28

Is all magic completely dead? Or do wands and scrolls still work since they are not actively drawing on the "source" of magic but are simply drawing on previously stored power.

29. - Top - End - #29

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by LordShotGun View Post
    Is all magic completely dead? Or do wands and scrolls still work since they are not actively drawing on the "source" of magic but are simply drawing on previously stored power.
    An excellent question, and something I don't know the answer to! Out of game, I know the entire world is at -5 CL... I don't know how far that extends to previously going effects... it didn't kill Yhennon immediately (due to his hybrid state) for example. If we find a spell wand or scroll, I'll be sure to let you know.

In a world where max mortal level is 10... -5CL hurts. But thankfully, there is a feat that can boost you CL... it just can't boost it past your Character Level. But due to how the math is applied, Yhennon CAN (and probably WILL) take it to improve his CL.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

So... -5CL, take feat to negate it?