New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1493

Thread: Skyside 4

1. - Top - End - #1171
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Inside Stormcloud Manor]

You know, Nimix, it's hard to take cries for help seriously when you say things like that. The energy roots will probably just crush you to death. ... Which is probably not that comforting, actually.

All the same, he gets help. The warped space around Pazuzu lights up with a purple glow as he turns his focus to the roots. Green, growing, coiling. Like the little vines one tears away to eat for lunch. Invisible forces try to take hold of the roots and wrench, tearing them free of the goblin so he can get away. He has little doubt that they will yield.

Alni returns fire, shooting not-very-accurately down the stairs, around the edge of the barrier. Call it a warning shot.
    "Drop your guns or we start killing the children! We've got them all captive in the nursery. One word from me-"
    If she hadn't met Shae, she wouldn't have expected the cultists to respond to such a threat. But then, she hadn't expected to find a snake-cult daycare in the manor at all.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Skyside 4

[Inside Stormcloud Manor]

A moment later the guns stops firing and murmurs follow. Sounds like they're having a discussion which soon turns to shouting. Quite a argument is taking place down there.
    "Please! Don't hurt them! We surrender!" Someone calls out, though it isn't clear if everyone agrees with him. It does sound like guns are being dropped though, and the mercenaries are still firing...

As for the roots, they disappear in a burst, leaving Nimix free to move. "Thanks! I thought I was a goner there for sure!"

Therese frowns, keeping her rifle at the ready to mow down any cultists showing themselves.

3. - Top - End - #1173

Pazuzu chirps happily at Nimix.

"They're cooperating; leave the kids safe for now. Alni says, quietly but still loud enough to be overheard, as if there were someone behind her or on the other end of a communicator who could hear.

"Okay, ah, drop your weapons and line up facing the wall. I want you all properly surrendered by the count of ten."
    And that said, she continues down the stairs, to see what's really going on.
    "Ten...nine...eight..."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

4. - Top - End - #1174

There are more shouts from downstairs, followed by more cries of surrender the sound of weapons being dropped. They are begging Alni to spare their children. The question is if the mercenaries are going to spare the cultists once they come through the front door, either way, it looks like this fight might be over.

"Should we get down there?" Therese asks.

"I'm sure not taking another step down there after nearly getting tentacle raped, you have to go first."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2017-06-05 at 01:48 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Ogre in the Playground

Rugged Warehouse

Wait, Sickle-Cell is genetic. I'm an idiot. But... these things do have blood. Which means they have marrow. If we can find a way to speed up their mitosis process, I can make a mutated strain of Myelofibrosis, causing their marrow to shut down, and boom. Everything about these creatures is unique, and we have a live subject. Arkant, I will require a few things: a piglet, a dur-e-steel cage, and some time. says Jonas, before taking a vial containing the aforementioned disease, another vial containing Captain Trips (See Stephen King's The Stand), and a CD containing Jethro Tull's "Living in the Past" Album. Jonas then begins to mix the two diseases combining the airborne and infectious quality of captain trips as well as the marrow attacking quality of Myelofibrosis.

((I know I'm digging at the bottom of the barrel for diseases here, but genetic tampering is Jonas's best quality))
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

6. - Top - End - #1176

"One...Zero."

"If I'm going down there, it's not safe from tentacles up here anymore, is it?"

Alni reaches the bottom of the stairs, confident that if this is a setup for an ambush, they'll be fine.

"Where's your leader?" she demands of the cultists.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

7. - Top - End - #1177

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Rugged Warehouse

Sickle-cell disease is also genetic, meaning it's not contagious. Jonas'd have to figure out how to mutate the creatures in the way that they develop the condition independently of humanity. Then get them to stay still long enough to make the process work.

Arkant's Lab

They are dead. Most are badly deformed, and autopsies confirm none of them have all the internal structures present in the original maggots. Specifically, heart-analogues, brain-analogues and other, weirder organs.

If the men capturing the cat aren't kind, at least to an extent, it'll make a distorted hiss and fight, striking out blindly with teeth and claws. It can't do enough to kill, it's only a cat, but its claws and teeth are far sharper as a result of its alterations, and the teeth are coated in a new substance the original killdren lacked- a neurotoxin that amplifies pain signals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celticbear View Post
    Rugged Warehouse

Wait, Sickle-Cell is genetic. I'm an idiot. But... these things do have blood. Which means they have marrow. If we can find a way to speed up their mitosis process, I can make a mutated strain of Myelofibrosis, causing their marrow to shut down, and boom. Everything about these creatures is unique, and we have a live subject. Arkant, I will require a few things: a piglet, a dur-e-steel cage, and some time. says Jonas, before taking a vial containing the aforementioned disease, another vial containing Captain Trips (See Stephen King's The Stand), and a CD containing Jethro Tull's "Living in the Past" Album. Jonas then begins to mix the two diseases combining the airborne and infectious quality of captain trips as well as the marrow attacking quality of Myelofibrosis.

((I know I'm digging at the bottom of the barrel for diseases here, but genetic tampering is Jonas's best quality))
    Rugged Warehouse

"Maybe." Arkant comments and akes his leave.

It will need two days to finish the work on the building and another one to bring in some basic tools for the experimence. The tools appear used but cleaned. Doesn't seem like Arkant will spend to much money.
    Since arkant doesn't have a piglet he will first get a cat or dog whatever suits. As for dur-e-steel cage, I have no idea what that is so he will just get a normal steel cage.

Arkant's Lab

The guys going for the cat have stone like skin and they aren#t smart at all. They just do what they were told to without objection. It will be hard to hurt them and in there attemp they likly chase the cat into a cornder.

Arkant will arrive soon after the cat is either caught or still escaping. Now that he is here he will take a closer look over the blood, trying to split the cells responible for the maggots away from the animal cells.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Orc in the Playground

Arkant's Lab

The cat is successfully captured! Meanwhile, separating the black blobs of monster blood from the mix of normal animal cells will be difficult- most of the black goo is produced instead of the clotting agent carried in blood plasma. Meaning that the blood keeps clumping up, and the goo adheres to normal red and white blood cells, which it then seems to break down to form more black goo, and the black goo-secreting cells that the killer children use to transport oxygen about their bodies. The maggots are formed when one of the black gooey clots adheres to an organ and start to mutate it into a compatible biochemistry- the same process which most often causes the tumours and teratomas.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

9. - Top - End - #1179

The cultists appear to have dropped their weapons at the very least and Alni can through the windows see mercenaries heading for the front door. There are wounded people laying on the floor, some not even moving anymore even as other attempt to tend to their wounds. The whole place is a mess with bullet holes along the walls and with all the furniture moved in front of the main door to keep people from getting in there.
    The cultists, both orc and elven, all look nervous, some of them on the verge of tears. The mercenaries might not have mercy on them after what happened outside.

However, as Alni asks, one of the orc cultists simply point at the door which appears to be leading down into the basement. "She's gone."

It sounds like that buzzing sound is coming from there.

Therese is right after Alni. "We can't keep an eye on this many people." She whispers.

10. - Top - End - #1180

Alni shoots the first person she sees (other than the helpful orc) who isn't properly following instructions.
    "I said against the wall. Now!"

If they're worried about the mercenaries outside having mercy, they have the wrong priorities.

They will be given up to one second to return to complying with her demands to the letter. Then the little bird will get involved.

"We won't have to. Work on clearing the door for everyone outside."
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2017-06-07 at 01:54 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

11. - Top - End - #1181

As the shot cultist falls to the floor, the others hurry to do what she is asked, well, almost everyone. A few insist to take care of the wounded cultists on the floor, despite Alni's threats. They keep insisting that they need to take care of their friends, or they will die.

"Easier said than done." Therese comments, not keen on walking up to the barricaded door just yet. Still too many cultists about. "Is there a reason to keep them alive?"

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Ogre in the Playground

Rugged Warehouse

Jonas will procure some of the maggot's blood through a small needle inserted through the cage. If this agitates it, fine (whatever), but Jonas will take precautions to not let it out of its containment. If it did agitate it, Jonas will give it time to calm back down again. After this period, Jonas will safely transport the maggot from its cage to the dog's, recording the result.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

13. - Top - End - #1183

Alni looks at her little bird friend and shakes her head 'no'. She gives a meaningful look at the door.

With a little puff up of his feathers, Pazuzu focuses on the door-frame and attempts to rip the whole thing from the wall, furniture-barricade and all. He's not an Espurr or anything, but with all the power he's stored up, he doesn't think it'll be a problem.

"No, just as easily. Now, killing prisoners is also a war crime-" she chides Therese. "-but if they refuse to surrender, perhaps to take care of their friends..." She draws a bead on a random cultist who thinks this is the time for emergency medicine (rather than saving his or her own skin), and pulls the trigger.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

14. - Top - End - #1184

Quote Originally Posted by Celticbear View Post
    Rugged Warehouse

Jonas will procure some of the maggot's blood through a small needle inserted through the cage. If this agitates it, fine (whatever), but Jonas will take precautions to not let it out of its containment. If it did agitate it, Jonas will give it time to calm back down again. After this period, Jonas will safely transport the maggot from its cage to the dog's, recording the result.
    Rugged Warehouse

Jonas will get the reports of Arkansts experiments. Thought it is kept simple. They just state the dosis and the result. in the first case Death. The report will miss any suviving creatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Arkant's Lab

The cat is successfully captured! Meanwhile, separating the black blobs of monster blood from the mix of normal animal cells will be difficult- most of the black goo is produced instead of the clotting agent carried in blood plasma. Meaning that the blood keeps clumping up, and the goo adheres to normal red and white blood cells, which it then seems to break down to form more black goo, and the black goo-secreting cells that the killer children use to transport oxygen about their bodies. The maggots are formed when one of the black gooey clots adheres to an organ and start to mutate it into a compatible biochemistry- the same process which most often causes the tumours and teratomas.
    Arkant's Lab

That is kind of intressting. I should note here that Arkant has taken care of things. Especially the light. He prepared one lab to be pitch black and uses magic to see in the dark like it is day.

Now he will test something else. It will need a bit to prepare, but he got the time. Akant will test the black blood on human organs. So he has searched for fitting people to give one of their organs. With his magic he somehow keeps the seperated organs working like it was still in the body. Then he adds the black blood. I should note that the balck blood will also effect the human who is caugh up in a seperate cell.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

15. - Top - End - #1185

The door was never much of a obstacle in the first place, the mercenaries had already filled it with so many holes that Alni can easy rip it off, the barricades are a bit more difficult though, but with enough power, and pulling from this side, the barricades come flying, forcing the cultists to take cover as tables, chairs, and sofas come flying everywhere when the door is pulled off its ledges.
    Soon enough, the mercenaries come swarming in, some of them deciding to shoot the first cultist they see.

Along with Alni's execution of the cultist against the wall, the rest of the cult is in panic, begging for their lives and crying.

16. - Top - End - #1186

Alni was a little worried that everyone outside would be dead or turned to stone. Still, this isn't ideal.
    "Hold your fire!" she shouts at them.
    "The fight here's already over. You, you, and you-" she point out Therese and two of the new arrivals "-keep watch over these prisoners here. You go upstairs and help Nimix. Everyone else, into the basement with me. Their leader ran."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

17. - Top - End - #1187

"**** you, you little bitch, these freaks killed my girlfriend." One of the human mercenaries Alni pointed out claims, still finger on the trigger.
    Yet suddenly, the large gnoll in the slouch hat turns up behind him. "Two of you, go into basement with her, the rest stay here. We not putting all forces into another deathtrap. The rest, do what she said."

The mercenaries find no reason to argue with that. Yet Alni might note that the buzzing sound she was hearing suddenly goes silent as the mercenaries spread out through the manor.

18. - Top - End - #1188

Alni could comment on how rude humans are, if she felt like generalizing. Or that the mercenary's girlfriend obviously deserved to die for several meaningful definitions of 'deserve'.
    But nothing like that would be productive. So she bites her lip, nods to the gnoll in the hat, and turns towards the basement.

"Something just changed. In the air. We can't waste any more time!"
    She's already heading down. What do they find?

Pazuzu is more thoughtful, taking stock of the two mercenaries assigned to help and of what this part of the manor is like.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

19. - Top - End - #1189

Alni, Therese and a smaller, male, gnoll descended down into the basement. The first thing that they will notice is that a large part of the floor has been dug up and been converted into . It is nothing unusual, simply potato, corn and other crops. What is more concerning however, is the other parts of the room where sigils and runes have been carved into the floor, the ceiling and the walls. It appears to have been converted into some kind of ritual chamber.

Finally, there is a large hole in the north-facing wall which leads into a tunnel. There are no signs of any cultists.

20. - Top - End - #1190

Alni eyes the sigils nervously.
    "I don't suppose you guys know anything about creepy ritual runes?"
    Carving into the walls. How barbaric.
    "But it doesn't seem to be doing anything right now..." she tries, but fails, to keep uncertainty out of her voice there. She has suspicions that this place was in use only moments ago, the source of that noise, but keeps such musings to herself. It seems like the kind of information that might upset Therese. The elf girl does manage to stride boldly into the tunnel.

Pazuzu chirps at the gnoll mercenary. 'Nya?' he inquires.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

21. - Top - End - #1191

"Thank the saints, no."
    Therese murmurs, the gnoll just shaking his head as he keeps his gun aimed at the tunnel ahead.

However, as they fully step down into the basement they can see what appears to be a shrine in the southwest corner of the room. It is a crudely cut bust of a gorgon with pieces of jade, burned out candles and photos laying scattered before it.
    As for the tunnel itself, it is a crude but rather long for being underneath a manor like this. The cult appears to have cut through metal pipes and electric cords to make it. it is a wonder anything in the manor works here at all. The tunnel becomes increasingly smaller the deeper they go, and it also feels like it is turning upwards. At the end of it, they can see light, and also what appears to be a drilling machine of sort. It is technologically advanced compared to everything else in the building and is likely what made the tunnel. If the stand close to it, they can feel that it is warm, as if close to overheating. It appears to have managed to drill a small hole to what appears to be the streets north of the building, but the hole is to small for most people to go through. You would have to be pretty small to go through that.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2017-06-15 at 04:38 AM.

22. - Top - End - #1192

Alni looks at the hole. She looks at her fellow mercenaries. Back at the hole.

"I'll go after them. If you guys can't get through -and I'm not sure you can- take the stuff from the shrine (careful!) and go back upstairs."

First she passes Pazuzu up through the hole, where he looks hops a few hops away and looks around. If this is an ambush, surely he can handle it. Then she puts her gun away, folds down the handle of her basket, and pushes it through the opening. Finally, she jumps, grabs the edges, and squirms through herself.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

23. - Top - End - #1193

"Okay, whatever you say." Therese says, seeing that she is definitely too large to enter that hole. "You watch the hole while I call for some help." She tells the gnoll. No way she would touch that creepy shrine alone.
    She then walks off, leaving Alni with the gnoll who just shrugs. "Cult leader escaped?"

Outside, Pazuzu find himself in the middle of a mostly empty street behind the manor. The first people he can see walking there are two humans who stare at the pokemon in surprise. They appear to be civilians, but who can tell with the cultists dressing as civilians as well?

24. - Top - End - #1194

[Outside Stormcloud Manor]

"Nya? Twu?"
    Pazuzu inquires of the bystanders, making a surprisingly owl-like sound for such a non-owl-like bird. No, this is dumb. They can't understand him, can they?
    And he doesn't have the kind of future-vision that lets you wring information out of the universe for nothing by observing your future self making the right decision. That would be crazy and impossible. But his sense of smell isn't bad. He's no bloodhound, but certainly they can do better than an elf. Probably the gnoll-boy could do as well, or even better. But he's not so small and mobile as the pokemon. While Alni bothers with the basket of equipment, he pecks at the edges of the tunnel and tries to pick up a trail that might be Shanti.

"She ran, but I don't know that she escaped yet! Never give up!"
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2017-06-15 at 04:45 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

25. - Top - End - #1195
    Orc in the Playground

Rugged Warehouse

When black goo is extracted from the maggot, it doesn't react. But when confronted with the dog, the maggot springs to action, wiggling and it seems to be trying to escape; except other maggots, in less risky situations, have travelled faster. It's trying to goad the dog into eating it; and the dog, after barking at it, and sniffing it, complies. The maggot wriggles itself down the dog's throat faster than the dog can chew, making the dog retch- but it doesn't vomit. What it does inside the dog is harder to determine- unless Jonas has a spell or piece of equipment that functions similarly to a Magnetic Resonance Imager.

Spoiler: MRI Results
    Show
    The maggot has managed to lodge in the dog's esophagus and burrow a short distance into the throat, where it is dark, moist and warm. The perfect conditions for the maggot to pupate... Which it does. The pupae stage lasts for a fortnight to a month, though I doubt the dog will survive that long, even if Jonas leaves it be.

Arkant's Lab

In humans, the black blood-goo causes far more rapid mutations, though as before, most are tumours and teratomas, both of which grow far faster than before and always produce maggots, though only one in a hundred of the maggots is able to survive. Which is still far better than in animals, where none of the maggots are viable. One of the humans will have their entire left long devoured by tumours, teratomas and thick, black goo- oddly, after half the lung is rendered into tissue that cannot store or extract oxygen, the patient's ability to breathe starts to increase again, until the mass of tumours and altered tissue functions slightly better than their nearly unaffected, human lung. All the humans claim to feel things wriggling inside them, and moving unnaturally, though none will associate the sensations with genuinely affected areas of their body.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Ogre in the Playground

Rugged Warehouse

Like I suspected, these things are baby-makers. says Jonas after considering the results.

he then looks at Arkant, and says: Now then, we got two options at this juncture. We can strain a new virus that targets these little black f**kers, or we can try and look for their ma. From my experience with these types of creatures, they have an original parent. From past examples of creatures like this, the parent acts akin to a queen bee, governing these creatures through a sort of hive mind. If we take out the queen, it stands to reason that the hive mind will deactivate, and these creatures will be no more dangerous than worms. However, my theory about a queen could prove incorrect.
    Last edited by Celticbear; 2017-06-16 at 02:21 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1197

The bystanders look ready to make a run for it, in the nexus that seemed like the most sensible option when it came to strange things appearing before you. Otherwise you could end up dead or worse.

As pazuzu attempts to catch the scent of the cult leader, he won't get any elf smell, but there is the strange scent of a snake that is mixed with some kind of bird. The two scents intermingles perfectly, like they are from the same being.

"Okay." The gnoll replies without much enthusiasm.

28. - Top - End - #1198

Default [Outside Stormcloud Manor]

"Nya!" Pazuzu chirps, explaining the situation to Alni. She agrees they should go after it; this is a snake cult, but more importantly it's the only clue they have. As Alni stands up after climbing out of the tunnel and picks up her basket, Pazuzu flutters his wings and takes to the air (this is, of course, cheating; the wings have nothing to do with gaining altitude).

Neither of them really mind if the bystanders flee. It's only reasonable to not get involved in weirdness. But Alni is annoyed at the gnoll's nonchalance. He's being such a drag.
    "There's something weird. Pazuzu, follow the trail!"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

29. - Top - End - #1199

Well... the trail is leading up into the air. In fact, pazuzu can see something flying up there in the direction of the scent. Will be hard to catch up with though.

30. - Top - End - #1200

Default [Outside Stormcloud Manor]

Yes, it could be hard to catch up. So they aren't going to rush after it in a straight chase.
    "Nya♣"
    Hmm? And you're going to aim it? Okay. I'm going to speed it along. But you knew that. Alni draws her little blaster.
    Pazuzu can see it now. Past, present, and what's left of its future. He looks forward, predicts, sees the moment and the angle where the blaster bolt connects and cripples it, sending it crashing down. Through shared thoughts and chirping birdsong, he tells Alni how to aim, when to fire. Then he'll settle into the basket and they'll race off to meet it on the ground. It's so clear. Reality failing to match the vision is completely unthinkable, isn't it?

On the other hand, of course they, the only tryouts with the ability to fly, would end up chasing this bird-snake, the only cult member demonstrating the ability to fly. It's not a coincidence. Nothing is ever a coincidence.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine