New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: OOTS in the Media

Quote Originally Posted by fergo View Post
    Yeah, sorry about that. There's just too much information flying around and people who were drawn in by the Kickstarter don't always read the message board (and vice versa).
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #122
    Banned

Daemon

I hope being on twitter doesn't mean Mr B spends forever on Twitter til he starts focusing more on that and less on his work. Other celebrities have fallen this way (Stephen Fry, Stephen Moffat, Little Kuriboh).

Seeing makes me wonder what Twitter account. He uses too many words.

twitter account. Too many characters.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Absol197 View Post
    Since apparently I'm the only one who doesn't know: who is Neil Gaiman? And why is his opinion so worthwhile?
    :

Don't feel too bad, I don't know who he is either....

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Macbeth017 View Post
    Don't feel too bad, I don't know who he is either....
    The TL;DR is that he's a famous writer, having written stuff like Sandman, American Gods and Coraline.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

5. - Top - End - #125
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    I hope being on twitter doesn't mean Mr B spends forever on Twitter til he starts focusing more on that and less on his work.
    Somehow I don't think that will happen.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

For the Twitter-resenters, you don't have to sign up for an account, you can just bookmark Rich's page and check it every now and again (or put it into an RSS feed if you use that). You don't have to be logged in to read it.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

wink Re: OOTS in the Media

Twitter...

<gloomy clouds of doomity-doom that loom and balloon melodramatically (darn, no 'oom') get inserted here>

I've been avoiding that 'cos I know what a chatterbox I am. I'm bad enough as it is. I really don't need any more incentive to waste time.

Pass. For the time being.
    '~:. F5 Camper With Muscle-Memory Issues .:~'

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

GeekNights podcast does an episode on Order of the Stick!

I met these guys at a con and I've been listening ever since. Rym runs one heck of a good convention game!
    Mannerism RPG An RPG in which your descriptions resolve your actions and sculpts your growth.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Really good article about OotS and the Kickstarter drive over at Tor.com:

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/03/kic...r-of-the-stick
    (h/t John F. MacMichael from the comments section of the latest update)

Nice way to end it, I think:

Cory Doctorow cautions, over at Boing Boing, that this isn’t some sort of herald of the end of business models as we know it. The success of self-publishing superstars like Rich Burlew is more equivalent to winning the lottery or becoming a rockstar. A fair enough point, but the difference, I would argue, is that this isn’t random chance, or studio-driven. If this is gambling, it is poker, not the lotto. There are elements of luck and marketing at play, but there is also something else. There is the — pardon me if I get a little sappy — the interplay between a creator and his audience at work. The play, as a crazy Danish guy once said, is the thing. The Order of the Stick made a million dollars, and that is pretty cool. Rich Burlew had more than his 1000 true fans, and when the time came to cash in his chips, they came through.
    As seen in the quoted paragraph above, there was another look at the drive from Boing Boing:

http://boingboing.net/2012/03/13/int...of-the-st.html

Mostly it's a recap of the interview with Singularity Hub, but Corey also chimes in with some thoughts of the whole thing.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

10. - Top - End - #130

Thanks, these have all been added.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Thanks, these have all been added.
    The new Boing Boing link is messed up.

Here is is corrected:

Boing Boing (3/13/2012)

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

12. - Top - End - #132
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hmmm: Cory's piece for Tor.com is interesting. I got the distinct impression he's bumped into Sarah's views, but can't pin it down to an individual quote. And, taken them on board, to boot. The poker analogy certainly holds more water than the lottery one does, IMO.

Maybe for start-up strips, the lotto works. But not for OotS. And, Erfworld, too.

Plus, I loved the idea of Belkar nicking off with the Arkenstone. To be honest, I think he'd have quite a job hiding that from Haley

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Euodiachloris View Post
    Hmmm: Cory's piece for Tor.com is interesting. I got the distinct impression he's bumped into Sarah's views, but can't pin it down to an individual quote. And, taken them on board, to boot. The poker analogy certainly holds more water than the lottery one does, IMO.
    The article over at Tor and the one at Boing Boing were written by different people. Apologies if I didn't make that clear.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2012-03-21 at 02:07 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    The article over at Tor and the one at Boing Boing were written by different people. Apologies if I didn't make that clear.
    Uh -- that's totally my bad, and nothing to do with you, Porthos, old chum. I got mixed up.

Mordicai's article for Tor is what I meant. Although he did reference Cory's: which is where my muddle happened. Doh!

I blame my resident big shaggy dog of an illness (CFS/ ME) fogging my cognition. It's not me being stupid. Honest!
    Last edited by Euodiachloris; 2012-03-21 at 02:33 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Well, this is interesting.

The Order of the Stick had a small mention on a program for The Voice of Russia, which is the Russian government's international radio broadcasting service:

The internet helps the homeless, the less fortunate and the creative

Broadcast on March 14th, 2012 15:16 Moscow Time, which would be 7:16am EDT.

It was only mentioned in a list of all of the super successful Kickstarter projects in the last couple of months, and no details about the strip were given. But, really, this is like being mentioned on Voice of America or the BBC World Service.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2012-03-22 at 02:37 AM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Well, this is interesting.

The Order of the Stick had a small mention on a program for The Voice of Russia, which is the Russian government's international radio broadcasting service:

The internet helps the homeless, the less fortunate and the creative

Broadcast on March 14th, 2012 15:16 Moscow Time, which would be 7:16am EDT.

It was only mentioned in a list of all of the super successful Kickstarter projects in the last couple of months, and no details about the strip were given. But, really, this is like being mentioned on Voice of America or the BBC World Service.
    Sounds like a backhanded compliment to me but still, a mention is a mention.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

17. - Top - End - #137

Nice! I'm not going to put it in the list because it doesn't really do anything but drop the comic's name in a list of recently successful KS drives. It's not really about OOTS.
    Rich Burlew

18. - Top - End - #138
    Pixie in the Playground

Nice! I'm not going to put it in the list because it doesn't really do anything but drop the comic's name in a list of recently successful KS drives. It's not really about OOTS.
    A dutch paper also briefly mentioned you when talking about kickstarter at http://www.deondernemer.nl/economie/...-echt-wel.html

19. - Top - End - #139
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Uh. Although not specifically about the Drive... this... is certainly a contender for the "weirdest context to be mentioned in" prize... http://www.cartoonbrew.com/.

Uhhhhh: go, us? An Ode to and a Take That wrapped up in open letter format? Not the usual fare.

20. - Top - End - #140

Kickstarter Blog did a nice statistical analysis of the impact of OOTS and Double Fine using data that only they could see: http://www.kickstarter.com/blog/blockbuster-effects
    Rich Burlew

21. - Top - End - #141
    Orc in the Playground

Linked from http://twitter.com/#!/RichBurlew -- OOTS shows up as an example of the use of a diverse cast.

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/04/a-m...ns-and-dragons

This link also helped me parse Rich's previous tweet about "diverse backgrounds" in the Kickstarter project called Prismatic Art Collection. "Why do I care whether the artwork shows the heroes standing in front of a sky or a forest? Ohhhhhh."

22. - Top - End - #142

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gamera View Post
    This link also helped me parse Rich's previous tweet about "diverse backgrounds" in the Kickstarter project called Prismatic Art Collection. "Why do I care whether the artwork shows the heroes standing in front of a sky or a forest? Ohhhhhh."
    Look, just because the game originated by depicting cool and temperate climates does not mean that we can't depict warmer terrains like deserts and jungles. Fantasy art does not have to only show the landscape types found in northern Europe in order for gamers to identify with it!
    Rich Burlew

23. - Top - End - #143
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Look, just because the game originated by depicting cool and temperate climates does not mean that we can't depict warmer terrains like deserts and jungles. Fantasy art does not have to only show the landscape types found in northern Europe in order for gamers to identify with it!
    And, you know... Moors only stuck to North Africa, anyway. And, Rome didn't ship people of all different types of skins all over at all, before that, either. Uh-uh. Nope. Not at all. Neither of these could possibly have had any effect anywhere in Europe for several hundred years, forgetting other points of contact on top of them. Nah. Never.

Temperate always means white, no?

24. - Top - End - #144
    Colossus in the Playground

Oh, I definitely agree. And it's so much fun also planning out the native flora and fauna, how people would adapt to living in different biomes, and how different biomes transition to each other. Seriously, any worldbuilder needs a good ecology textbook.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

I think your right Coffee…..I've been focusing on the cities and people….but there is also wilderness too…..which I haven't…..hrm…..might have to read up on such things someday.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

And Coffee, I am thinking about tapping into other asian cultures that are ignored by people who tried to make Asian themed D&D adventures. Like Hui, Uyghur, and Central Asian culture (You know mountains, mixture of middle east and asian structure, and wool hats).
    But I thought D&D core game is based on your imagination (as in you can make your own non white country and non white race (well human actually)).
    Edit: I already edited out the need for WRPG's diverse race (Since Elderscrolls is not the only game with non white race (Redguard), I found out that guild wars have asian country).
    Last edited by t209; 2012-04-12 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Retcon
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

27. - Top - End - #147
    Barbarian in the Playground

The project looks... interesting. I'm not an RPGer myself, so I don't know to what extent other races are under-represented, but I'm willing to accept everyone's word for it. It's about time RPG games shook off the 'white and nerdy' tag (and can instead be 'multicultural and nerdy' ).

As an aside, t209, surely the fact that there's one non-white race in the Elder Scrolls games, and we can't even tell what they're meant to be, is a problem?

I don't know as much about the games and backstory as you and others do, but does anyone else think that their lack of cultural background makes them seem more like a general catch-all for non-white players?

(Correct me where I'm wrong, as I'm sure I am ).

28. - Top - End - #148

Actually, I'm going to suggest that if anyone wants to discuss the article or its broader implications in any depth (without veering into politics), they do so in a new thread in the Roleplaying Games forum. I'd like to keep this thread fairly focused on just pointing out media mentions. Thanks.
    Rich Burlew

29. - Top - End - #149

I guess this qualifies: MTV Geek did a comic strip about my Kickstarter here, though I can't say I care for the characterization that I have money to burn. It's all being spent on the project or reinvesting in the business.
    Rich Burlew

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

I guess this qualifies: MTV Geek did a comic strip about my Kickstarter here, though I can't say I care for the characterization that I have money to burn. It's all being spent on the project or reinvesting in the business.
    Yeah, I detect hints of jealousy in that article for what they (wrongly) perceive to be the outcome of the Kickstarter Drive. Stuff like "Then you might think 'what the #^@% would I spend all that money on, since I don’t need anywhere near that to make a comic book.' And again, you’d be right." I don't think they looked long at the drive page before just running with their assumptions.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!