New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: [Template] How fragile we are...

*shudders*

This is the kind of thing that keeps me up all night. Can't wait to throw a few at my players. Their gonna hate me after all the wizards in the party die :D.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by The Vanishing Hitchhiker View Post
    Dumbledore - the new Elvis!

"not nale, not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The_Glyphstone

Saw that...but other similar abilities have the disclaimers. Might want to at least specify that it can only affect things with a spine/fixed anatomy, and probably make it a death effect. Otherwise, you get the fantastically wierd possibility of one Broken using Death Grip to kill another Broken, despite the fact that they're already like that...
    Disclaimages written in ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Hyrael, The Dreamer
    I'm so going to use it if ever I get the chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Cowinator
    Can't wait to throw a few at my players. Their gonna hate me after all the wizards in the party die :D.
    Be sure to let me know how it goes.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble
    Be sure to let me know how it goes.
    Perfect.
    Round One: Cleric attempts to turn. Fails. Fighters rush it, one gets knocked unconcious by non-lethal damage. Other one misses. Both fighters are using maces (suckers). Wizard casts Magic Missile.
    Round Two: Cleric engages it. A second Broken walks into the room, and they both hit and drop the Fighter and the Cleric unconcious. Wizard attacks with staff, hits but does no damage.
    Round 3: Both Broken attack the Wizard. Wizards is killed by Critical hit.
    Subsequent Rounds: Broken break the necks of the remaining party members. Slaughterfest.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

"not nale, not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Banned

Ouch. All using bludgeoning weapons?

What was the base creatures you used?

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cowinator
    Round One: Cleric attempts to turn. Fails. Fighters rush it, one gets knocked unconcious by non-lethal damage. Other one misses. Both fighters are using maces (suckers). Wizard casts Magic Missile.
    Round Two: Cleric engages it. A second Broken walks into the room, and they both hit and drop the Fighter and the Cleric unconcious. Wizard attacks with staff, hits but does no damage.
    Round 3: Both Broken attack the Wizard. Wizards is killed by Critical hit.
    Subsequent Rounds: Broken break the necks of the remaining party members. Slaughterfest.
    Owch. Why did you initiate a TPK? On your first level party?
    That is not dead which can eternal lie
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Expand for quotes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophismata View Post
    You are a bad, bad man, Abd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    'Psionics' is just tapping into the core of magic within yourself, whereas the mumbo-jumbo dancing, gibbering, and flinging around esoteric material components is like trying to paint-by-numbers when the guy next to you is rendering works from Picasso by memory alone.

Abd's contribution to the Animate/End A World project.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Banned

Halloween bump!

7. - Top - End - #37

BardGuy

Feh. If I made a critter called a Broken, it'd have abilities like Burn and Pinion. I note that you did manage to work the Fragile into things though, so props on that. ;)

Loved the HH ref though...

<begins singing a flattened fifth out of tune>
    Share and enjoy
    Share and enjoy...
    Don't bother trying to appeal to my better nature; I don't have one.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fangthane View Post
    Feh. If I made a critter called a Broken, it'd have abilities like Burn and Pinion. I note that you did manage to work the Fragile into things though, so props on that. ;)

Loved the HH ref though...

<begins singing a flattened fifth out of tune>
    Share and enjoy
    Share and enjoy...
    HH reference? Was referencing a song by Sting

9. - Top - End - #39
    Bugbear in the Playground

Disturbing. Epecially Crackdown and Reconfigure.
    I WILL round this Cape, even if I have to keep sailing until doomsday!
    Engaged in A Spat with Jibar.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Decken by Ceika
    Spoiler
    Show
    Devil Lord-to-be and proud member of the Baatezu Lovers club!

10. - Top - End - #40

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The_Vorpal_Tribble View Post
    HH reference? Was referencing a song by Sting
    Suuuuure you were... Stick your head in a pig as we walk through fields of gold, right? :)

Just bring it to us, we won't give a fig,
    We'll tell you to go stick your head in a pig! :)
    Don't bother trying to appeal to my better nature; I don't have one.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

Instead of it's squeezing ability why not give it ooze traits (which include slipping through cracks)? One less unique ability is always good.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Pretty cool template. Maybe a bit strong on Abilities, but good nonetheless.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

13. - Top - End - #43
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tetujin View Post
    Instead of it's squeezing ability why not give it ooze traits (which include slipping through cracks)? One less unique ability is always good.
    Last time I looked that was not an ooze trait. Gelatinous cubes have to hold their cube shape for example.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Great template! Reconfigure seems really powerful though and in my opinion should be toned down a little, perhaps it should be turned down from immunity to a 50-75% reduction?

Also, a silly question, but I think the Common Sence area of my brain is off. A spellcaster turned into a Broken retains all spell casting (Except if he's a Paladin.), correct?

15. - Top - End - #45

In the example creature block you explain that Agonizing Shriek gives +2d6 nonlethal damage bonus, while in the template explanation and the stat block for the example you list it as +a 1d6 bonus. You didn't fix all the inconsistencies. =p

This is an amazingly creepy template. Nice throwback to exorcist with their walking stance. Ve-e-e-ery unsettling, both in its description and its attacks.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Firbolg in the Playground

So... many.. broken jokes... my head ... is going to ... BREAK!!!

(i try)
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Firbolg in the Playground

Mu hu hu ha...

Multiple templates is fun

Half-Iron Golem broken Blackguard
    Barbarian 6/Rogue 1/Blackguard 2
    Medium Undead
    Hit Dice: 9d12+9 (72 hp)
    Initiative: +1
    Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
    Armor Class: 27 (+1 dex +11 natural, +5 armour), touch 11, flat-footed 27
    Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+19
    Attack: Slam +19 melee (1d6+17 plus 1d6 non-lethal) or +1 humanbane unholy spiked chain +20 (+22 vs humans) melee (2d4+18 +2d6 vs good +2d6+2 vs humans)
    Full Attack: Slam +19 melee (1d6+17 plus 1d6 non-lethal) or +1 humanbane unholy spiked chain +20/+15 (+22/+17 vs humans) melee (2d4+18 +2d6 vs good +2d6+2 vs humans)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Rage 2/day, Sneak Attack +1d6, Smite Good 1/day, Breath Weapon, Agonizing strike, cry of agony, death grip, improved grab, marrow wring
    Special Qualities: Aura of Evil, Dark Blessing, Improved Uncanny Dodge, Trap Sense +2, Rust Vulnerability, Crackdown, damage reduction 15/adamantine, damage reduction 5/slashing, darkvision 60 ft., resistance to cold 10 and electricity 10, reconfigure, undead traits,
    Saves: Fort +10, Ref +5, Will +4
    Abilities: Str 32, Dex 12, Con -, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 8
    Skills: Escape Artist +31, Hide +8, Intimidate +18, Knowledge (Religion) -1, Survival +12
    Feats: Cleave, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Spiked Chain), Improved Sunder, Improved Toughness, Power Attack
    Environment: Underground
    Organization: Solitary, pair, or inquisition (4-20)
    Challenge Rating: 14
    Treasure: Standard
    Alignment: Always Chaotic Evil
    Advancement: By character class
    Level Adjustment: -
    This depraved amalgum of steel and bone shuffles towards you, draggin its chains. On close inspection you notice scraps of once fearsome black armour. You shudder as you realise this 'thing' was once human.

Half-Iron Golem broken Blackguards are the disposed corpses of failed champions of evil. After failing their dark masters they were given to depraved sorcerer-scientists who performed cruel experiments on them and then threw them away. After spontaneously animating due to their evil wills their demonic lords saw fit to use them as shock troops against the most resolute and fearless champions of good.

Combat
    A broken Blackguard rushes at living creatures while releasing a horrible scream of pain. It then snatches out with a bloodied hand to grab its victim and twists with the merciless force of a thumbscrew.

Agonizing Strike (Ex): A broken's natural weapons cause horrible pain that deals an extra 1d6 points of nonlethal damage to its victim.

Breath Weapon (Su): 10-foot cone, cloud of poisonous gas lasting 1 round, free action once every 1d4+1 rounds; initial damage 1d4 Con, secondary damage 3d4 Con, Fortitude DC 14 negates. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Crackdown (Ex): A Broken can pulverize its own bones to fit through tight spaces down to half the size of its head without a reduction to speed. This grants it a +30 bonus to Escape Artist checks.

Cry of Agony (Su): A broken creature may release an inhuman shriek of such piercing agony that those within 60 feet that hear it must succeed on a Will save (DC 13), or be shaken for the duration of the encounter. Those whom make the save are immune to the broken creature's cry of agony for 24 hours. This is a sonic, mind-affecting fear affect.

Death Grip (Ex): If a Broken pins its its opponent while grappling and maintains the pin for 3 consecutive rounds, opponent must make a Fortitude save (DC 25), at the end of the third round or die as its neck and spine are twisted to the breaking point. This ability only affects living creatures with a fixed skeletal system.

Immunity to Magic (Ex): An half-iron golem is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. In addition, certain spells and effects function differently against the creature, as noted below.
    A magical attack that deals electricity damage slows an iron golem (as the slow spell) for 3 rounds, with no saving throw.
    A magical attack that deals fire damage breaks any slow effect on the golem and heals 1 point of damage for each 3 points of damage the attack would otherwise deal. If the amount of healing would cause the golem to exceed its full normal hit points, it gains any excess as temporary hit points. For example, an half-iron golem hit by a fireball gains back 6 hit points if the damage total is 18 points. An iron golem gets no saving throw against fire effects.
    An iron golem is affected normally by rust attacks, such as that of a rust monster or a rusting grasp spell.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, an Broken must hit with one of its natural attacks. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.

Marrow Wring (Ex): A broken attacks by grabbing and twisting. Upon a critical hit a Broken snaps the bone and twists the limb. There is a 50% chance the limb is a leg and a 50% chance it is an arm. If a leg or arm is broken it is rendered useless and the victim takes the appropriate penalties. The pain caused by this attack is such that the victim must succeed on a Fortitude save (DC 25) or be nauseated for 1 round for every 4 points of damage dealt.
    Once the damage dealt to break the limb is healed, the limb can be used again, though if healed naturally a DC 15 heal check must be made to set the limb straight again or the victim's land speed is reduced by 10 feet (to a minimum speed of 5 feet).

Rage: A broken can fly into a rage twice per day. While raging a broken temporarily gains a +4 bonus to Strength, and a +2 morale bonus on Will saves, but he takes a –2 penalty to Armor Class. While raging, a broken cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration, nor can he cast spells or activate magic items that require a command word, a spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function A fit of rage lasts for rounds. A barbarian may prematurely end his rage.

Reconfigure (Ex): A broken is immune to bludgeoning, for whenever its bones are cracked it simply reforms its shape to adapt.

Rust Vulnerability: As a half-golem, the broken is vulnerable to rust attacks such as the rusting grasp spell.

Smite Good: Once per day, a broken may attempt to smite good with one normal melee attack, dealing an additional 2 points of damage. If a blackguard accidentally smites a creature that is not good, the smite has no effect but it is still used up for that day

Sneak Attack: A broken deals an extra 1d6 points of damage against flat-footed or flanking opponents.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2007-04-16 at 11:14 AM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Pixie in the Playground

Thats just mean...At least it's not a Druid/Blackguard
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

creepy. i'm liking it. What do you see happening if a creature was 'broken' using magical means. would that justify a new template?