New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery VIII (spoilers ahoy!)

I agree that Thog should be considered former, even if he still is technically a member (much like how Z says he never stopped working for Nale). Too early to tell for Qarr.

And what they said.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

2. - Top - End - #782
    Bugbear in the Playground

The "(deceased)" mention for Yukyuk wasn't put on the right line.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

3. - Top - End - #783
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I'm going to propose that the table at the beginning of Kurald's post no longer indicate that all six members of the Order became level 11 in comic number 12. That leads us to the absurd conclusion that Vaarsuvius was able to cast 6th level spells before Xykon was even introduced as a character, but that (s)he refrained from casting any 6th level spells onscreen until comic 186.

It makes much more sense to assume that the Giant simply didn't bother to explicitly note every level-up of every Order member between #12 and #186. Thus, we have no way of knowing what level the Order started at. (I always assumed it was level 8, since V seems to be able to cast level 5 spells after comic #12, but that's just me.)
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Colossus in the Playground

I agree with Emanick. In the Dungeon of Dorukan the Order members were all a handwaved 5th-7th level, irrespective of onstage level-ups.

5. - Top - End - #785
    Ettin in the Playground

Also, if we're using Scorching Ray as evidence that Qarr's maximum level is 10, that would mean V's maximum level was 10 in #65 (I see no reason why s/he'd not use 3 rays if possible).

6. - Top - End - #786
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Based on V's Scorching Ray and the gaining of a new spell level in #12, I think we can conclusively determine that the Order started the comic at level 8, reached level 9 in strip #12, and have had some off-panel levelups since then.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

7. - Top - End - #787
    Ettin in the Playground

Link for the Chaotic half of Xykon's alignment: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...71&postcount=5

8. - Top - End - #788
    Ogre in the Playground

Corrected Yukyuk's deceased tag, added the reference for Xykon's Ethical worldview.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

9. - Top - End - #789
    Halfling in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

The Giant confirmed that Redcloak was able to affect Soon with his Rebuke Undead ability.

We know that Redcloak was maximum a 16th-level cleric at the time. 16th-level clerics can't affect undead with more than 20 HD.
    This means one of two things. Either Soon isn't an epic character (he could be a 20th-level paladin) or Redcloak has some feat or other effect that increases his cleric level for the purpore of rebuking undead (such as Improved Turning).
    Last edited by Fenice; 2012-04-08 at 08:00 AM.

10. - Top - End - #790
    Ogre in the Playground

That's some good detective work. Unfortunately we don't know enough about Soon's level to tell us anything new about Redcloak. The closest I can determine is we see him Smite Evil three times, giving him a minimum level of Paladin 10. Also Xykon comments that he packs a wallop, suggesting he can reliably overcome Xykon's damage resistance despite using a slashing weapon, but that could just be a generous use of Power Attack and lucky shots. A level 10 undead would be well within Redcloak's turning attempt, so that's all I've got at this time.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

11. - Top - End - #791

Quote Originally Posted by Fenice View Post
    We know that Redcloak was maximum a 16th-level cleric at the time.
    We know he was at least 15th level, since he has 8th level spell slots- casting Extended (+1 metamagic feat) Summon Monster VII (7th level spell) to summon that elephant.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

12. - Top - End - #792
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I think the most probably explanation is that RC has somehow boosted his turning ability.

We certainly know other order of the Scribble members were epic, so it pretty unlikely to me for their leaders to have been seriously underleveled.

13. - Top - End - #793

Kilkil is almost certainly a Dragonwrought Kobold of at least Level 12. This is evident first from the unusual color of his scales and then from his wings, which he can use to fly for long periods of time.

Note: This was primarily researched by D&D5eplayer and thepsyker.
    Gnomish Decker by me! You can find more of my work here!!! Also, my Tumblr, if you're into that
    Spoiler
    Show
    You fell for my firewall, chummer
    The data highways are infinite and I've info left to tread

14. - Top - End - #794
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gilphon View Post
    I think the most probably explanation is that RC has somehow boosted his turning ability.

We certainly know other order of the Scribble members were epic, so it pretty unlikely to me for their leaders to have been seriously underleveled.
    Perhaps, but without solid evidence of Soon's minimum level being that high, we can't assume anything new about Redcloak.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomish Wanderer View Post
    Kilkil is almost certainly a Dragonwrought Kobold of at least Level 12. This is evident first from the unusual color of his scales and then from his wings, which he can use to fly for long periods of time.

Note: This was primarily researched by D&D5eplayer and thepsyker.
    Another possibility is that he's a Ninth Level Dragon Disciple, or he has the Winged template from Savage Species, or he has a Wings of Flying that he has active all the time. I would rather wait to see Kilkil in combat to see what he fights with before making any assumption about where he gets his wings from.
    - The Flying Kipper

15. - Top - End - #795

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    Another possibility is that he's a Ninth Level Dragon Disciple, or he has the Winged template from Savage Species, or he has a Wings of Flying that he has active all the time. I would rather wait to see Kilkil in combat to see what he fights with before making any assumption about where he gets his wings from.
    Ah, the dragon disciple one makes sense, I couldn't think of anything else that would give him both wings and strange color. But mixed with the strange colorization of Kilkil I'd say it's unlikely to be Winged or Wings of Flying. But yeah, good point about the fighting, that'll give a lot more information.
    Gnomish Decker by me! You can find more of my work here!!! Also, my Tumblr, if you're into that
    Spoiler
    Show
    You fell for my firewall, chummer
    The data highways are infinite and I've info left to tread

16. - Top - End - #796
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Gilphon View Post

It's possible that the other Scribblers only reached epic level after the group broke up, whereas Soon remained at 20 until he died.

I don't think this is particularly likely, though.

17. - Top - End - #797
    Titan in the Playground

It's possible that the other Scribblers only reached epic level after the group broke up, whereas Soon remained at 20 until he died.
    Weren't the Rifts sealed, and the Gates constructed, using epic magic?

I'm almost certain that there's evidence somewhere for all of the Scribblers being epic, but I'm not sure where.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

18. - Top - End - #798

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Weren't the Rifts sealed, and the Gates constructed, using epic magic?
    Indeed. And by that, we would know that Dorukan and Lirian were epic, even if they hadn't invented the epic spells of Cloister and If-You-Read-Start-Of-Darkness-Then-You-Know-What.

The rest of the Order of the Scribble did not create the Gates, though they defended them.

Understand, I'm quite sure all the members of the Order of the Scribble were/are epic. Actual proof of same being in the comic, though? Not that I recall.

19. - Top - End - #799

Given that Rich explicitly said he was fudging the rules, I'd be wary of drawing conclusions from that incident.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

20. - Top - End - #800

MindFlayer

Don't you stop gaining HD at Epic level?

21. - Top - End - #801
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SavageWombat View Post
    Don't you stop gaining HD at Epic level?
    No, you gain hit dice as normal. Your BAB and Save Progression changes however.
    - The Flying Kipper

22. - Top - End - #802
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    That's some good detective work. Unfortunately we don't know enough about Soon's level to tell us anything new about Redcloak. The closest I can determine is we see him Smite Evil three times, giving him a minimum level of Paladin 10. Also Xykon comments that he packs a wallop, suggesting he can reliably overcome Xykon's damage resistance despite using a slashing weapon, but that could just be a generous use of Power Attack and lucky shots. A level 10 undead would be well within Redcloak's turning attempt, so that's all I've got at this time.
    Redcloak wasn't the only one rebuking Deathless that day in the courtroom. Jirix was there too. And he couldn't affect "mid-level" (call it level 8 to level 14, with a heavy bias towards the low end of that spectrum, and probably no one above 12) paladins. According to Redcloak, the throne room was Consecrated, which means either a -3 or -6 to both their rebuking attempts, depending on whether the Sapphire counts as an "altar, shrine, or permanent fixture dedicated to" the Twelve, or, if it does not, on whether or not there's some other such fixture in the throne room.

Jirix's rebuking check at the time would have thus been 1d20+CHA mod-3 at best. We have no reason to believe his mechanical Charisma is above 3, though the circumstantial evidence (Cleric levels, able to keep the hobboes out of the throne room, inauguration speech) implies some kind of bonus on Charisma-based skills and abilities. But for the moment, let's assume minimum CHA. That puts Jirix's rebuking check at 1d20-7, and his maximum roll a 13. To be unable to affect deathless of 8 HD or more with a roll of 13, a cleric needs to be level 6 or less. Giving Jirix more Charisma necessarily implies giving him fewer levels, to the point where if he had between 10 and 15 Charisma, his maximum level would be 5, and if he had a Charisma score between 16 and 18 his maximum level would be 4. This is before applying his Hobgoblin LA.

Assuming a penalty of -6 instead of -3 gives the following for Jirix's maximum level:
    If CHA = 3, rebuking check = 1d20-10, and Jirix's maximum level to be unable to affect undead with 8 HD = 7
    If CHA = 18, rebuking check = 1d20-2, and Jirix's maximum level to be unable to affect undead with 8 HD = 5

This actually fits quite well with what we know about Jirix. An extremely low level (between 4 and 7 at the time of the throne room fight, between 3 and an unknown cap in the Darth V fight, currently between 2 and that unknown cap - 1) fits with both Miko and O-Chul being able to one-shot him with not-terribly-powerful attacks. Though to be fair O-Chul had help from Darth V in the form of at least 10 electricity damage. Unfortunately, it doesn't tell us anything about Soon, which I thought it might when I started typing this.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2012-04-09 at 10:23 AM.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Banned

I've redone the math, since I forgot to factor Jirix's likely five ranks in Knowledge (religion) into his maximum possible rebuking check. The whole thing's in this spoiler:

Spoiler
    Show
    IF JIRIX’S CHA = 3
    # of rebuking attempts per day (minimum 1) = 3 base - 4 CHA + 4 extra turning
    Max rebuking check with -3 penalty = 1d20 base - 4 CHA + 2 Knowledge (religion) - 3 Consecrate: max 15
    Max rebuking check with -6 penalty = 1d20 base - 4 CHA + 2 Knowledge (religion) - 6 Consecrate: max 12
    Cleric level with -3 penalty = 6 (to be unable to affect 8 HD deathless)
    Cleric level with -6 penalty = 7

IF JIRIX’S CHA = 4 or 5
    # of rebuking attempts per day (minimum 1) = 3 base - 3 CHA + 4 extra turning
    Max rebuking check with -3 penalty = 1d20 base - 3 CHA + 2 Knowledge (religion) - 3 Consecrate: max 16
    Max rebuking check with -6 penalty = 1d20 base - 3 CHA + 2 Knowledge (religion) - 6 Consecrate: max 13
    Cleric level with -3 penalty = 5 (to be unable to affect 8 HD deathless)
    Cleric level with -6 penalty = 6

IF JIRIX’S CHA = 6 or 7
    # of rebuking attempts per day (minimum 1) = 3 base - 2 CHA (extra turning no longer required for minimum)
    Max rebuking check with -3 penalty = 1d20 base - 2 CHA + 2 Knowledge (religion) - 3 Consecrate: max 17
    Max rebuking check with -6 penalty = 1d20 base - 2 CHA + 2 Knowledge (religion) - 6 Consecrate: max 14

IF JIRIX’S CHA = 8 or 9
    # of rebuking attempts per day (minimum 1) = 3 base - 1 CHA
    Max rebuking check with -3 penalty = 1d20 base - 1 CHA + 2 Knowledge (religion) - 3 Consecrate: max 18
    Max rebuking check with -6 penalty = 1d20 base - 1 CHA + 2 Knowledge (religion) - 6 Consecrate: max 15

IF JIRIX’S CHA = 10 or 11
    # of rebuking attempts per day (minimum 1) = 3 base - 0 CHA
    Max rebuking check with -3 penalty = 1d20 base - 0 CHA + 2 Knowledge (religion) - 3 Consecrate: max 19
    Max rebuking check with -6 penalty = 1d20 base - 0 CHA + 2 Knowledge (religion) - 6 Consecrate: max 16
    Cleric level with -3 penalty = 4 (to be unable to affect 8 HD deathless)
    Cleric level with -6 penalty = 5

IF JIRIX’S CHA = 12 or 13
    # of rebuking attempts per day (minimum 1) = 3 base + 1 CHA
    Max rebuking check with -3 penalty = 1d20 base + 1 CHA + 2 Knowledge (religion) - 3 Consecrate: max 20
    Max rebuking check with -6 penalty = 1d20 base + 1 CHA + 2 Knowledge (religion) - 6 Consecrate: max 17

IF JIRIX’S CHA = 14 or 15
    # of rebuking attempts per day (minimum 1) = 3 base + 2 CHA
    Max rebuking check with -3 penalty = 1d20 base + 2 CHA + 2 Knowledge (religion) - 3 Consecrate: max 21
    Max rebuking check with -6 penalty = 1d20 base + 2 CHA + 2 Knowledge (religion) - 6 Consecrate: max 18

IF JIRIX’S CHA = 16 or 17
    # of rebuking attempts per day (minimum 1) = 3 base + 3 CHA
    Max rebuking check with -3 penalty = 1d20 base + 3 CHA + 2 Knowledge (religion) - 3 Consecrate: max 22
    Max rebuking check with -6 penalty = 1d20 base + 3 CHA + 2 Knowledge (religion) - 6 Consecrate: max 19
    Cleric level with -3 penalty = 3 (to be unable to affect 8 HD deathless)
    Cleric level with -6 penalty = 4

IF JIRIX’S CHA = 18
    # of rebuking attempts per day (minimum 1) = 3 base + 4 CHA
    Max rebuking check with -3 penalty = 1d20 base + 4 CHA + 2 Knowledge (religion) - 3 Consecrate: max 23
    Max rebuking check with -6 penalty = 1d20 base + 4 CHA + 2 Knowledge (religion) - 6 Consecrate: max 20

Condensed, Jirix's minimum possible level at the time of the throne room fight, assuming maximum Charisma and minimum Consecration penalty to his rebuking check, was 3. His maximum possible level, assuming minimum Charisma and maximum Consecration penalty, was 7.

That puts his minimum current level at 1, since he was raised twice, and leaves his maximum level unknown. We could narrow this down if we'd ever seen Jirix cast a spell, but I don't believe we have.

24. - Top - End - #804
    Halfling in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I don't think Malack should be reported as having a Constitution score ~12. He says to have a frail health. This should mean 9 or probably lower.
    Last edited by Fenice; 2012-04-10 at 07:09 AM.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fenice View Post
    I don't think Malack should be reported as having a Constitution score ~12. He says to have a frail health. This should mean 9 or probably lower.
    While I'm hesitant to simply take Malack at face value, his apparent albinism does indicate a Constitution lower than racial average. More hard data required, of course.

26. - Top - End - #806
    Dwarf in the Playground

Unluckily for us, he wasn't Jirix but was a nameless cleric that was killed by Miko before she made her entrance here, notice he still has the slash he received from a female ghost martyr two strips ago. The castle exploded, so I guess that hobbo is below all that, unless I missed his first res
    Last edited by Needle; 2012-04-10 at 04:54 PM.
    My Player Registry entry.
    Avatar made by Andraste, thanks lots!

27. - Top - End - #807
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Actually, commentary in WaXPs states that guy is Jirix.

28. - Top - End - #808
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    So there

29. - Top - End - #809
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    I've redone the math, since I forgot to factor Jirix's likely five ranks in Knowledge (religion) into his maximum possible rebuking check. The whole thing's in this spoiler:

Spoiler
    Show
    IF JIRIX’S CHA = 3
    # of rebuking attempts per day (minimum 1) = 3 base - 4 CHA + 4 extra turning
    Max rebuking check with -3 penalty = 1d20 base - 4 CHA + 2 Knowledge (religion) - 3 Consecrate: max 15
    Max rebuking check with -6 penalty = 1d20 base - 4 CHA + 2 Knowledge (religion) - 6 Consecrate: max 12
    Cleric level with -3 penalty = 6 (to be unable to affect 8 HD deathless)
    Cleric level with -6 penalty = 7

IF JIRIX’S CHA = 4 or 5
    # of rebuking attempts per day (minimum 1) = 3 base - 3 CHA + 4 extra turning
    Max rebuking check with -3 penalty = 1d20 base - 3 CHA + 2 Knowledge (religion) - 3 Consecrate: max 16
    Max rebuking check with -6 penalty = 1d20 base - 3 CHA + 2 Knowledge (religion) - 6 Consecrate: max 13

IF JIRIX’S CHA = 6 or 7
    # of rebuking attempts per day (minimum 1) = 3 base - 2 CHA (extra turning no longer required for minimum)
    Max rebuking check with -3 penalty = 1d20 base - 2 CHA + 2 Knowledge (religion) - 3 Consecrate: max 17
    Max rebuking check with -6 penalty = 1d20 base - 2 CHA + 2 Knowledge (religion) - 6 Consecrate: max 14

IF JIRIX’S CHA = 8 or 9
    # of rebuking attempts per day (minimum 1) = 3 base - 1 CHA
    Max rebuking check with -3 penalty = 1d20 base - 1 CHA + 2 Knowledge (religion) - 3 Consecrate: max 18
    Max rebuking check with -6 penalty = 1d20 base - 1 CHA + 2 Knowledge (religion) - 6 Consecrate: max 15

IF JIRIX’S CHA = 10 or 11
    # of rebuking attempts per day (minimum 1) = 3 base - 0 CHA
    Max rebuking check with -3 penalty = 1d20 base - 0 CHA + 2 Knowledge (religion) - 3 Consecrate: max 19
    Max rebuking check with -6 penalty = 1d20 base - 0 CHA + 2 Knowledge (religion) - 6 Consecrate: max 16

IF JIRIX’S CHA = 12 or 13
    # of rebuking attempts per day (minimum 1) = 3 base + 1 CHA
    Max rebuking check with -3 penalty = 1d20 base + 1 CHA + 2 Knowledge (religion) - 3 Consecrate: max 20
    Max rebuking check with -6 penalty = 1d20 base + 1 CHA + 2 Knowledge (religion) - 6 Consecrate: max 17

IF JIRIX’S CHA = 14 or 15
    # of rebuking attempts per day (minimum 1) = 3 base + 2 CHA
    Max rebuking check with -3 penalty = 1d20 base + 2 CHA + 2 Knowledge (religion) - 3 Consecrate: max 21
    Max rebuking check with -6 penalty = 1d20 base + 2 CHA + 2 Knowledge (religion) - 6 Consecrate: max 18

IF JIRIX’S CHA = 16 or 17
    # of rebuking attempts per day (minimum 1) = 3 base + 3 CHA
    Max rebuking check with -3 penalty = 1d20 base + 3 CHA + 2 Knowledge (religion) - 3 Consecrate: max 22
    Max rebuking check with -6 penalty = 1d20 base + 3 CHA + 2 Knowledge (religion) - 6 Consecrate: max 19

IF JIRIX’S CHA = 18
    # of rebuking attempts per day (minimum 1) = 3 base + 4 CHA
    Max rebuking check with -3 penalty = 1d20 base + 4 CHA + 2 Knowledge (religion) - 3 Consecrate: max 23
    Max rebuking check with -6 penalty = 1d20 base + 4 CHA + 2 Knowledge (religion) - 6 Consecrate: max 20

Condensed, Jirix's minimum possible level at the time of the throne room fight, assuming maximum Charisma and minimum Consecration penalty to his rebuking check, was 3. His maximum possible level, assuming minimum Charisma and maximum Consecration penalty, was 7.

That puts his minimum current level at 1, since he was raised twice, and leaves his maximum level unknown. We could narrow this down if we'd ever seen Jirix cast a spell, but I don't believe we have.
    He recently cast Sending off-panel to tell Xykon about the phylactery. Unfortunately, since it may have been through a scroll, all that tells us is his minimum Wis.

30. - Top - End - #810
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Now I see where I missed his first res

Then I said nothing, apologies for wasting your time
    My Player Registry entry.
    Avatar made by Andraste, thanks lots!