New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Getting into Doctor Who.

So I just got a netflix account and they have Doctor Who 2005 and onwards. For some time I've been really curious about the series; but until now I wasn't really sure if I should. My primary question is if I should know something about the previous Doctors to enjoy the series (quick google search shows that the series are about the 9th doctor and onwards).

Thanks in advance.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Getting into Doctor Who.

Not really, no. At the point the 2005 series came on, the series had been stopped for almost twenty years. The newer episodes have a nod here and there to the old continuity, but it's not required. I watched the first 2005 episode without any prior knowledge (I had never heard of Doctor Who before) and enjoyed it. you probably know more than I did.

Enjoy! Just give it a bit of time, the first few episodes aren't the best.

Give us a few comments about what you think when you see it, that's always fun.

If you are unsure, I can say this:
    The series is essentially about a crazy super-powered alien taking humans on trips through space and time for fun. You have to be able to tolerate a lot of sillyness, but the pay-off is great. The fun episodes are amazing romps, the emotional episodes are deep and tragic, and the best episodes are both. The series as a whole is just grand.

Give it time until Dalek or The Doctor Dances, at least.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2012-11-11 at 05:46 PM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Well my knowledge of Doctor who is basically:

a) He is a Time lord, which apparently are a race of alliens capable of reincarnation and time trave

b) they have been at war with several other races for all the time

c)Daleks are funky robotic things that SPEAK LIKE THIS LIKE THIS.

... that is pretty much it.
    Just call me Dusk

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

You don't need to watch any of the old series to have a full and complete understanding of the new one.

Going back and watching select episodes that were considered 'really good', once you have caught up with the new series, is an okay idea.
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2012-11-11 at 05:54 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Gratulations, you know everything you need to know for the facts.

Though there is also the question of the tone. Whle hte effects got a lot better than they were in the sixties through eighties, Doctor Who is still often a silly, silly show with rhinoceros space policemen and scenery pulverizing overacting. Quite often, it does not take itself remotely seriously. It still works, and very well.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The first few seasons (series for you wacky brits among us) are pretty good, but IMO the show really started falling apart around when Torchwood started and I haven't watched it in years.

The things to remember is that it is among the softest of Soft SF on TV, that the Doctor can and will do anything if the script requires it no matter how absurd, and that continuity (both in the literal 'time' sense and the narrative one) is completely b0rked. Your enjoyment will likely come from the performances of the actors and quality of the production rather than from the writing, and if that isn't enough you'll likely drop out as the actors get worse and worse and the plots get more and more self-indulgent over its run.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I have a pretty high suspension of disbelief in any case. I'll give it a test run later tonight (or during the week) and I'll tell you if I liked it.
    Just call me Dusk

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    The first few seasons (series for you wacky brits among us) are pretty good, but IMO the show really started falling apart around when Torchwood started and I haven't watched it in years.

The things to remember is that it is among the softest of Soft SF on TV, that the Doctor can and will do anything if the script requires it no matter how absurd, and that continuity (both in the literal 'time' sense and the narrative one) is completely b0rked. Your enjoyment will likely come from the performances of the actors and quality of the production rather than from the writing, and if that isn't enough you'll likely drop out as the actors get worse and worse and the plots get more and more self-indulgent over its run.
    Have you watched any of season 5 onwards? Essentially everyone involved changed that season (from the Doctor to the showrunner) and since then it has changed a lot. Some like the change, others hate it, but if you didn't like the direction it was taking seasons in 3/4, the later seasons may draw you back in.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

9. - Top - End - #9

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
    Have you watched any of season 5 onwards? Essentially everyone involved changed that season (from the Doctor to the showrunner) and since then it has changed a lot. Some like the change, others hate it, but if you didn't like the direction it was taking seasons in 3/4, the later seasons may draw you back in.
    I've heard a lot of good things about the new seasons, but also a lot of really disheartening stuff. It seems like individual episodes are getting better but the plot is even more emotionally manipulative and silly than ever, with Amy/Rory stupidity replacing the obnoxious Rose/Doctor cannonshipping and the Doctor pretending to be dead... even in the past when people wouldn't know about the event which supposedly killed him. That and the drama about the production is very dismaying, though I would love to be proven wrong and get some more good Who.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The closest tenor to Doctor Who is Douglas Adams (who was a Doctor Who writer at one point) and his Hitchhikers series. They have quite a bit in common, with the biggest difference being the focus on the an average man in Hitchhikers, while in Doctor Who it is often more focused on the guide.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I've heard a lot of good things about the new seasons, but also a lot of really disheartening stuff. It seems like individual episodes are getting better but the plot is even more emotionally manipulative and silly than ever, with Amy/Rory stupidity replacing the obnoxious Rose/Doctor cannonshipping and the Doctor pretending to be dead... even in the past when people wouldn't know about the event which supposedly killed him. That and the drama about the production is very dismaying, though I would love to be proven wrong and get some more good Who.
    Why not give it a chance? The things you mentioned can be made sound a lot worse than they are when seen out of context (and an answer to the second pert was easily inferred from events, which was then explicitly confirmed in one of the more recent episodes).

@TVTyrant That is an apt comparison, especially since Adams was the head writer for a large chink of Tom Baker's era. The plot for the first Dirk Gently book is actually largely drawn from one of the episodes he wrote (City of Death)'
    Last edited by Weezer; 2012-11-11 at 07:56 PM.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I feel like the more I know/remember about the old Doctor Who, the more lackluster the new one is in comparison. It's silliness/camp factor just isn't what it used to be.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

So yesterday I watched the first 3 episodes... and I absolutely loved them! I am very glad I finally decided to watch the series, now I am worried I will finish it too soon as Netflix only has the first 3 seasons...
    Just call me Dusk

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    So yesterday I watched the first 3 episodes... and I absolutely loved them! I am very glad I finally decided to watch the series, now I am worried I will finish it too soon as Netflix only has the first 3 seasons...
    ???

It has the first 6 seasons, including the christmas episodes; which in my experience are difficult to find through other sources.
    My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: The Thread, The Game, The Tumblr.
    Human Crossings Avatar made by Thanqol

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

From what I understand what shows and seasons are on Netflix varies from country to country and unless I didn't check well, here in México it only has up to season 3.
    Just call me Dusk

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Amy/Rory stupidity replacing the obnoxious Rose/Doctor cannonshipping
    Oh, no. The former is not nearly as bothersome as the latter. Not at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    From what I understand what shows and seasons are on Netflix varies from country to country and unless I didn't check well, here in México it only has up to season 3.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

17. - Top - End - #17

You poor person. Season four is awesome and season five is quite unbad.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

For the record.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I despised the Rose/Doctoring but Amy/Rory has become one of the three fictional romances I don't actively root against. The Doctor pretending to be dead thing only comes up in series 7. Though if you're opposed to silly plots, yeah you're not going to like it.

I'm a Doctor Who fan, most definitely. But the plot is ridiculous, idiotic, and has holes that a truck could drive through with room to spare. Doctor Who is about getting caught in the moment of the scary, exciting, and interesting bits to the point that you forget how ridiculous it all is. If you can, it's awesome, if you can't it won't be. Though I'll just say, while I enjoy season 5-6, so far 7 has not gotten me caught up enough to forget the ridiculous of it all. But that's just me.

19. - Top - End - #19

Yeah.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Really, the two main things that bother me about Seasons 5+ are that I never quite got used to Matt Smith (I still don't think he plays a proper Timelord. He lacks Grandness. He doesn't have the fury. He isn't the Oncoming Storm, he's a child.) The second is that the energy seems to be missing. I don't get excited and caught up anymore. I could tolerate much more silliness if it was entertaining.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Yeah.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Really, the two main things that bother me about Seasons 5+ are that I never quite got used to Matt Smith (I still don't think he plays a proper Timelord. He lacks Grandness. He doesn't have the fury. He isn't the Oncoming Storm, he's a child.) The second is that the energy seems to be missing. I don't get excited and caught up anymore. I could tolerate much more silliness if it was entertaining.
    Well,
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure why I'm spoilering this, but why not?
    Grandness isn't a guarentee in a timelord. It's not even a guarantee in the Doctor. I mean, consider Patrick Troughton, Peter Davidson or Silvester McCoy.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Yeah.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well other than being a mad man with a box, anyone taking on that role is going to have hard time being more manic than Tennant!

The one advantage they could have used is making him fit in the background which Doc 10 certainly shouldn't have been able to (Daleks in Manhatten for example) but unlike Tennant I expect Doc 11 to demonstrate that whilst his predecessor makes a big deal about having had so much mercy, the highlight for me is when its mentioned a good man doesn't need any rules Doc 11 points out this isn't the time to wonder why he has so many!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah.
    Spoiler
    Show
    To each their own. Personally Matt is my favorite of the newWho Doctors. The childlike nature makes it more fun, not less. And energy is the one thing he does not lack. It's only season 7 that was a let down for me, because I think each episode had very large flaws that I could not personally ignore. But even then there were parts that were brilliant in each episode, or at least had the potential to be.

23. - Top - End - #23

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    To each their own. Personally Matt is my favorite of the newWho Doctors. The childlike nature makes it more fun, not less. And energy is the one thing he does not lack. It's only season 7 that was a let down for me, because I think each episode had very large flaws that I could not personally ignore. But even then there were parts that were brilliant in each episode, or at least had the potential to be.
    While Season 7 was/is certainly the worst one of the NuWho for me because of those flaws you mentioned, I can't blame Smith for it. He is an exceptional Doctor...just not Tennant.

Eleven can do manic, he can jump around like a little boy riding a sugar high and hit the dark, dramatic tones necessary for a 900+ year old Timelord. But when he tries to do angry, he falls flat. Rory can do true rage far better than Eleven, just because he doesn't look and sound like he's throwing a tantrum. I almost laughed a few times while Eleven stomped around yelling at the sky back in "The Pandorica Opens".

But Ten? He could do Fury. While he was still manic and crazy and dramatic, the fury of the Timelord was utterly devastating. Eleven shakes his fist and hops around shouting at people and objects. Ten just glares at you. He gives you a look that could make Death himself blanch. He looks you dead in the eye while he utterly destroys you and everything you love, and it is terrifying in it's grandeur.

Grandeur isn't a prerequisite to be a Timelord, but Ten had that in spades.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Ninjadeadbeard just ninja'd my post. How apt.
    Ninjadeadbeard's Extended Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

True, I'll say Tennant was probably a better actor than Smith. Actually take the probably from that last sentence. He was. But by the end of his run I didn't like his Doctor. The constant mooning over Rose, his blatant hypocrisy, and his repulsive melodramatic conclusion. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    True, I'll say Tennant was probably a better actor than Smith. Actually take the probably from that last sentence. He was. But by the end of his run I didn't like his Doctor. The constant mooning over Rose, his blatant hypocrisy, and his repulsive melodramatic conclusion. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
    I agree with pretty much everything said in this post.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly, Eccleston's fury was what sold it for me, but that's perhaps something for a different thread...
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

27. - Top - End - #27

I've loved the progression from Doctor to Doctor.

Eccleston's Doctor was a step away from PTSD. His absolute rage at the beginning is tempered by Rose by the end of the series.

Then Tennant's Doctor was a bit more a part of the world. And he felt better than the world. He was selfish and hypocritical and on more than one occasion, gets called out on it.

So then Smith's Doctor was intentionally more child-like and whimsical. He's the funny old doctor. And at the same time, he seems much OLDER than the previous two. Like a guy in a retirement home trying to prove to the kids he's still hip and doesn't really want them off his lawn...the fact that he's physically younger just accentuates that.

I like them all, both in individual series and when looking at it as a whole. Fun stuff.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
    I've loved the progression from Doctor to Doctor.

Eccleston's Doctor was a step away from PTSD. His absolute rage at the beginning is tempered by Rose by the end of the series.

Then Tennant's Doctor was a bit more a part of the world. And he felt better than the world. He was selfish and hypocritical and on more than one occasion, gets called out on it.

So then Smith's Doctor was intentionally more child-like and whimsical. He's the funny old doctor. And at the same time, he seems much OLDER than the previous two. Like a guy in a retirement home trying to prove to the kids he's still hip and doesn't really want them off his lawn...the fact that he's physically younger just accentuates that.

I like them all, both in individual series and when looking at it as a whole. Fun stuff.
    I like you. I think you nailed his character progression pretty well (barring the last half season, where there have been some pretty major changes to 11's character)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

The first doctor had extremely sinister subtext. Pertwee (three) is the old one I remember the best.

Whilst my favorite is probably ten my favorite companion was Ace. Now that was a chick who could look after herself better than the doctor.
    My Home brew setting:

Concentric circles
    Necrotheism

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeZero View Post
    How very Machiavellian, professor Doom.
    Clever, effective, and anyone who agrees with it is a grade A global supervillain.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

My biggest problem with Tennant is that he seems too human. He's good and all, he's got the emotion down, but fundamentally he's a normal human being who's well and easy to relate to, and is a melodramatic ideal. The Doctor is far too close to human perfection as it is, so he needs some alien spirit to balance it out. That's what I like about Matt Smith—He's mostly normal, but he has these moments that make him seem decidedly inhuman.
    Fiberoptic Elflord avatar by Guest#1!

"It's like we fell down the rabbit hole and ended up in Stephen King's basement..."