New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

biggrin Vote for OOTS! (Update: Giant requests don't. Sorry.)

At the Top Webcomics webiste people are voting for the top 100 webcomics. OOTS is all the way down in 47!

EVERYONE VOTE FOR OOTS HERE!

Everyone vote, and lets get OOTS to the top of the list!
    Last edited by Zolkabro; 2010-05-25 at 12:09 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Default Re: Vote for OOTS!

Actually, given that OotS is still very, very good but somehow has lost it's "awesome drive" over the last... I don't know... I'd rather see goblins on top.

I think a webcomic is more than "just" its story. It's the combination of factors (and some of those are forbidden to even mention here while others are just a personal opinion).
    I don't know if goblins or oots is the better comic - but the overall impression of goblins is better. While it's a pretty close race, I think the crown does not belong on this head here.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd rather see a site that doesn't reset the polls every month in an effort to drive ad views.

Like I said the last time, long running comics are at a disadvantage over new ones, because reminding your readers to vote every month is going to turn some of them away.

A good poll would count all the votes over the comic's lifetime. Most readers are not going to vote every single month, so you're going to get fewer and fewer votes each month.

For example, the fact that this has been posted multiple times shows what this site is really going for. It just wants page views. Anyone can claim to be "top whatever". The fact that there's not all that many popular comics on it pretty much proves it's not the "top".

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Hum... no real surprise a site on the web wants people to go there. ;)

And I doubt there's any sane mechanism that lets you compare old with new comics via some poll system. You could create some weighted-averages-system that takes into account how many years/months the comic runs (and also counts in how this comic fared in it's nth month vs that comic in its nth month) that would be much better than what exists now... but even that does not really solves all problems...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

What I mean is, the site is set up for the sole purpose of getting money from ad views. Hence the resetting every month. There's a big difference between "I want to have a website that ranks comics" and "I can make money with almost no effort on my part".

There's "sane" methods for counting lifetime votes. Like, for instance, all the votes over a lifetime, with one vote per IP. That's hardly a difficult thing to do. You could even allow for the creation of accounts for users so they can take votes away from comics they feel have gone downhill. I feel a comic that has been around for five years should definitely have a higher ranking than one that just got 100 votes in one month.

The point is, resetting the rankings every month means most of the votes are going to those obnoxious comics that plaster their front page with vote buttons or worse, force you to vote before viewing the comic. This is simply a money making site, nothing else.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Hm, I've never even heard of most of the comics on that list, and the decidedly mediocre "goblins" is on top; that says a lot for the quality (or rather, lack thereof) of that voting site. Meh, I'll skip this one.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NerfTW View Post
    Like, for instance, all the votes over a lifetime, with one vote per IP.
    Dynamic IPs and proxy servers?
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Dynamic IPs and proxy servers?
    But that's a problem with the monthly option as well.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Hm, I've never even heard of most of the comics on that list, and the decidedly mediocre "goblins" is on top; that says a lot for the quality (or rather, lack thereof) of that voting site. Meh, I'll skip this one.
    Be careful, I think that goblins is at least as good as OotS. Hmmm... cut the "at least", I think in regard to "good" both don't give or take a lot to each other, OotS has updated faster and thus got more story in over the last years.

But on the other hand you are correct: I did not hear about most of those comics and many that are good are way, way down. Others are high up and I really cannot get why.

Yet, I don't think the site is useless. "Voting over a specific amount of time" is pretty standard on the web and it's also a nice start should you ever care about new and interesting comics. Just click some randomly and you'll find lots of things you don't llike but also some interesting stories here and there.
    You also check out stuff (and find it's actually good) you would usually not have looked for. I fail to see what is so bad about that.
    And there are much worse schemes on the net to make money.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
    Be careful, I think that goblins is at least as good as OotS. Hmmm... cut the "at least", I think in regard to "good" both don't give or take a lot to each other, OotS has updated faster and thus got more story in over the last years.
    He shouldn't have to "be careful" with his opinion. He thinks "Goblins" is mediocre, and he has as much right to say so as you do to disagree. For what it's worth, I think it's "Goblins" has some good ideas, but gets so mired in mapping out each moment of horrific violence that it often forgets to tell any story for page after page. It's NOT just that Goblins has less updates, it's that less happens in 10 pages of Goblins than one page of OOTS...and that's taking into account the fact that sometimes, nothing really happens in OOTS for pages at a time.
    Last edited by SPoD; 2010-05-19 at 03:09 PM.
    Congratulations, you can link to TV Tropes. This does not mean you have special insight into the storytelling process, much less the author's mind. Stories don't need to fit into neat boxes, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Spod has it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasilich View Post
    You not reading the comic isn't going to make this comic any less awesome for all the rest of us.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

That's why I said be careful. It turns into a discussion about goblins.

I leave it at "I basically like goblins - for different and also similar reasons - as much as OotS but all in all, I think in overall it's actually better these days".
    I don't really see what's the use in argueing about?

My point simply is: The top spot, imo, on that "useless voting site" is well deserved.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Please do NOT vote for OOTS on Top Webcomics.

Top listing sites are largely a waste of time for any comic that is not starting out or otherwise trying to built an audience from scratch. That is not the case with OOTS; it's probably one of the top ten comics on the internet, though it's been a while since anyone tried to do a count. There was a time, years ago, when I participated in another such site—the long-since defunct BuzzComix. Even then, I rose to the top immediately and stayed there for three months with little effort—proving to me that my audience had already grown too large to participate in such rankings fairly.

The point is, it doesn't get me anything to be at the top of a list that means nothing, that just exists as a marketing strategy for a certain tier of comics and an ad-selling technique for the website owners. Plus, it would be rude of me to eliminate the opportunity for another comic to claim the top spot and grow their audience accordingly, when my reading audience already dwarfs theirs. Let Goblins or Phoenix Requiem take it; it doesn't hurt me any, and helps people who are doing work that maybe isn't as widely recognized as OOTS.

If I could, I would remove myself from the list, but since someone else signed me up for it, I can't. If you're the mystery person who put OOTS on that list, please delete it.

If you want to vote for OOTS for something, wait until OOTS is up for an award—a real award, not just a random website.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

If you want to vote for OOTS for something, wait until OOTS is up for an award—a real award, not just a random website.
    I still prefer the "voting button" in the shop for books over at ookoodook.com. That always makes me create a sure "click". ;)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

So the Snakehead games contest with a cash money prize we should vote in?
    Even in Winter, the cold isn’t always bitter, and not every day is cruel.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Elfey View Post
    So the Snakehead games contest with a cash money prize we should vote in?
    I don't know anything about this, so I can't say. I'm sort of uncomfortable with the idea of getting cash for popularity, though.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

I don't know anything about this, so I can't say. I'm sort of uncomfortable with the idea of getting cash for popularity, though.
    http://www.snakeheadgames.com/?p=476

They're doing a series of votes in the game for advertising purposes with 1,000 in ads to the winner (which is a bit of an issue for OOTS) and 1,000 in cash which is a bit more random with each vote giving a ticket for the final contest. OoTS got second in its group of 10 to Schlock Mercenary, but is still around. You should probably let them know if you want out...
    Even in Winter, the cold isn’t always bitter, and not every day is cruel.

18. - Top - End - #18

OK, well, given that you seem to need to be a registered member of the their game in order to cast a vote, I'm not overly concerned in the same way. If OOTS happens to win, I'll likely donate the money, though.
    Rich Burlew

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

frown Re: Vote for OOTS!

Top listing sites are largely a waste of time for any comic that is not starting out or otherwise trying to built an audience from scratch. That is not the case with OOTS; it's probably one of the top ten comics on the internet, though it's been a while since anyone tried to do a count. There was a time, years ago, when I participated in another such site—the long-since defunct BuzzComix. Even then, I rose to the top immediately and stayed there for three months with little effort—proving to me that my audience had already grown too large to participate in such rankings fairly.

The point is, it doesn't get me anything to be at the top of a list that means nothing, that just exists as a marketing strategy for a certain tier of comics and an ad-selling technique for the website owners. Plus, it would be rude of me to eliminate the opportunity for another comic to claim the top spot and grow their audience accordingly, when my reading audience already dwarfs theirs. Let Goblins or Phoenix Requiem take it; it doesn't hurt me any, and helps people who are doing work that maybe isn't as widely recognized as OOTS.

If I could, I would remove myself from the list, but since someone else signed me up for it, I can't. If you're the mystery person who put OOTS on that list, please delete it.

Sorry. I didn't realise how you felt about it. Should I delete the thread, or leave it?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Its kind of insulting for OOTS to be compared to ANY of those web comics.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zolkabro View Post
    Sorry. I didn't realise how you felt about it. Should I delete the thread, or leave it?
    the giant posted some paragraphs containing his thoughts on this subject. I'd rather just edit the initial post to reference his post, not delete it entirely.
    Groveling Priest of The Most Sacred Dot of comic #723

In memorium - Azure City and the Resistance. You will always have a place in my heart, especially the Elven special forces, in all your badass awesome.
    Spoiler
    Show

They are just random numbers. There is no significance.

Not everything in the comic has a hidden meaning.
    HA!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zolkabro View Post
    You can't delete a thread after people have replied.

But I think it should stay up. Having a source for The Giant's opinion on the matter is a good thing.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

You could even amend the header to reflect the WoG on this topic (something like "Vote for OOTS! UPDATE: Sorry, don't do that, Giant requests.")

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

Hi,

I'm one of the Admins at starpirates.net. Our game grew into a community that I find fun partially because of our deals with other webcomics. The contest is a way to say thanks to them with cash, and promotion.

OotS got nominated and we're not going to remove your chance to win just because we didn't do a deal previously. I don't think that's fair.

The reason we required registration is that we could not figure out any other external/3rd party system that wasn't easily corrupted by anon IPs, or some other issue. So our choices were to build one or not do this at all. Then we realised we actually had already done that hard work -- in our game. We realise this isn't perfect, but it's the best solution we could come up with.

So please vote if you want to; if you don't, that's fine too.

Last note, we did this in conjunction with the web comic advertising portal of Project Wonderful. I don't want it to see like we're taking "the credit" (if any).

Good luck!
    Admin ArrBilly of Starpirates.net

25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

I'm sort of uncomfortable with the idea of getting cash for popularity, though.
    Why, if you don't mind my asking?
    I consider myself an author first, a GM second and a player third.

The three skill-sets are only tangentially related.

26. - Top - End - #26

Default Re: Vote for OOTS! (Update: Giant requests don't. Sorry.)

For the same reason I am uncomfortable with donations: It creates a feeling in some people that I need to meet their expectations because they gave me money (even if they are only giving me money as a result of voting in a popularity contest that would give me money). It allows people to say, "But you can't do that thing I don't like! I donated money to you!"

By generating all of my revenue via merchandise, I can make the argument that all money given was for the actual product--the physical book--rather than some nebulous promise to continue producing the online strip in a certain way. I prefer the freedom to alter or even (should it become necessary) cease any aspect of this website without having directly accepted money given to encourage its continued existence.

And now that the question is answered, this thread is very much done. Locked before the inevitable counter-arguments trying to convince me to accept money.
    Rich Burlew