New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default D&D 5e Base Class Contest VIII Chat Thread

Welcome to the chat thread for the eighth Base Class Competition for D&D 5e. If you wish to say anything about the competition which is neither a submission nor a vote, then it belongs here. You do not need to be a contestant to post here. You are allowed to critique a competitor’s work and offer suggestions on how to improve their homebrew through this thread, but it is preferred if you do so through that class’ specific thread (if applicable).

Current Contest: Contest VIII: Magic Without Slots

Spoiler: Former Competitions
    Show
    1st contest: Who Needs Swords or Sorcery?, won by WarrentheHero with the Inventor

2nd contest: Expect a low Margin of Terror, Won by Mourne with the Sleepwalker

3rd Contest: The Elements, and not the Periodic Ones (Probably?), won By Pygmybatrider with The Shaman

4th contest: Does Not Meet Expectations, won with a tie by Molemage with the Destined and Pygmybatrider's Mesmer

5th contest: Time to Chill out, won by Molemage with the Wintreborn

6th contest: The Monster Mash, won with a three-way tie by Molemage with the Golem, theVoidWatches with the Lycanthrope, and daemonaetae with the Elemental Scion

7th contest: Remix Mastery, won by KOLE with the Ranger Remixed

Spoiler: Contest Rules
    Show

1) The class you homebrew should fit the theme. You can interpret the theme as broadly as you like without risk of disqualification, but doing so may reduce your chances of earning votes during the voting period.
    2) You may only create one base class. If you create more than one class then you must choose which one to enter and remove all the others from this thread and the contest (making them invalid) . If you do not specify which one you favor by the time voting begins, all of your content is invalid.
    3) When you submit your class you must create a post on this thread which either has the content or holds a link to it. You may also optionally create one other individual thread for your class on the homebrew design sub-forum. If it is found that you have revealed your class on another site or on another thread than one on the homebrew design sub-forum, your entry will be considered invalid. If you do make a specific thread for you class, please mention its involvement to the competition in that thread. If you use external formatting resources such as Homebrewery, or GMBinder it is recommended that you also create a PDF of the content and share it here.
    4) You may use other homebrew content (such as feats, spells, magical items and monsters) or even features to supplement your class, provided you have permission from the original creator and provide links to the source. Failure to receive permission from the original creation will disqualify you from entry in the current contest.
    5) Your class must have fully completed mechanics and descriptions for it to be valid. Entries are due by 11:59 PM Central Time on the deadline. Any submissions after this point are invalid. No changes can be made to your class while voting is taking place. Failure to comply with the previous rule will result in disqualification.
    6) Any content which has been declared invalid by the rules above cannot be voted for, but you may decide to remove it from the contest and create another class instead. If you are disqualified then you are not allowed to enter any more homebrew for this competition, though you may still vote and later enter the next competition.
    7) Please note that misunderstandings occur, if you break a rule which results in disqualification it might be excused if you can convince the group that it was a result of confusion over the rules.

Contests stay up for 8 weeks unless an extension is requested by participants. Voting threads then go up for 2 weeks before the next contest begins.

Spoiler: Suggested Themes
    Show

Time
    Dragons
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2019-08-05 at 08:53 AM.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 5e Base Class Contest VIII Chat Thread

So, I haven't gotten around to revising the sorcery system just yet (I've made some notes following a playtest of the Theurge), but my plans for the system as a whole are as follows:

Spoiler: General Sorcery
    Show
    • Simplify sorceries to use character level instead of surge dice for scaling. I do have some concerns about multiclassing still, so this might change back or into something else entirely.
    • At-will sorcerous abilities will be dialed back in complexity and damage. Damage will be brought in line with cantrips, but may have slightly better traits similar to Eldritch Blast (more desirable damage types, longer range, partial effect on failure, larger dice, or better riders). Combat buffs will almost always be limited by concentration or have a single-round duration. Single-round duration effects will generally take a bonus action, unless their effect is very strong.
    • At-will exploration abilities which are similar to spells will be given drawbacks (such as shorter range or greater activation time, requiring concentration, or unique drawbacks such as sorcerous scrying sensors/communications not being invisible). Exceptions for spells which are available as rituals; at-will sorceries duplicating such spells do not need additional drawbacks.
    • Surges will remain roughly the same.

The reason I mention this is because I've started to put together an outline for the Cultist, my half-sorcerous class. Some general stuff about the structure for the cultist is below. Hopefully I'll have the first full draft up in the next week or two.

Spoiler: Cultist
    Show

• The cultist uses the sorcery system at a half-speed progression, making it the Paladin to the Theurge's Cleric. It gets d10 hit dice, medium armor and shields, and all weapons.
    • The cultist's sorcerous focus is its athame, a magical slashing or piercing melee weapon it can produce as part of a 1st level class feature. This means they can use sorceries without disarming, much as the paladin can emblazon a holy symbol onto a shield.
    • The cultist's 1st level feature (other than the athame) determines what sort of thing they worship. This acts as a secondary subclass, much like the Warlock's Pact compared to their Patron. The initial planned choices are Things from Beyond, Elementals, and Forgotten Gods. Each choice adds a couple sorceries to the cultist list and gives a limited-use ability that refreshes on long rest.
    • Cultist fighting styles are Defense, Dueling, Protection, and TWF.
    • The cultist, like the paladin and ranger, gets a unique expenditure option for their magic (in this case, surges). Theirs lets them conjure giant force-tentacles (or other appropriate manifestations) to attack and control distant targets.
    • The cultist's subclass is their Rite, which determines their role in the cult. I have given names but not clear plans to the Rite of the Voice (one who speaks the word of their idol), Rite of the Guardian (one who protects worshippers and sacred sites of the idol), and Rite of the Watcher (one who watches for signs and prophecies of the idol's arrival).
    • The cultist will have three exclusive sorceries, themed around aberrations, blood, and shadow. They also share a number of sorceries with the Theurge or Wilder.

I wish everyone luck with this contest!
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

I'm already ready for this one, had a class sitting on the back burner in Google docs for about half a year now. It's a class a friend asked for, a dex based caster.
    We call it the rune tracer. Basically, instead of using slots, you make dexterity checks to cast spells, if you fail, you take damage equal to the slot level

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by moonfly7 View Post
    I'm already ready for this one, had a class sitting on the back burner in Google docs for about half a year now. It's a class a friend asked for, a dex based caster.
    We call it the rune tracer. Basically, instead of using slots, you make dexterity checks to cast spells, if you fail, you take damage eqyual to the slot level
    I like this. I also like that you cleared up my question in your other post: since you forgot the e, it came up as "runtracer" leaving me wondering if it meant a racer of runts, or a tracer of runs
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

5. - Top - End - #5

Daemon

I always loved the Truenamer from the Tome of Magic. I'm taking some notes from that for my Calligrapher.

Basically, you write a narrative of the battle as it progresses and the universe will remember it that way, so the enemies will suffer as if those things had happened.

Here's a big rambling block of late night concept work...

Spoiler
    Show

Since 5e doesn't have the same problem with skill scaling that 3.x did I might be able to use the increasing difficulty as a way to curtail use.

As is I'm looking at a basic mechanic of Words having reliable basic effects on par with a Cantrip and a Word Modifier that affects the DC of the check required to use more than 1 word at a time.

Words are broken up as Descriptors, Things, and Actions. You have a limited number of each known and level determines how many you can use at once. How they interact when you use more than one will require either specific rules in each Word description or general guidelines. I'm probably going to go with the former.

So if you know Big, Fire, Fast, and Strike, you can use any one with little difficulty that scale like Cantrips. Example: At 5th level You compose "I Strike the target" this is a level appropriate damage effect so it's 2d6 save for nothing. Alternatively, you could write "My fighter friend Jarn Strikes the target." In this case it's still just a 2d6 damage effect, save for none. This has no impact on the Action economy since the damage of Jarn's attack is based on your Cantrip damage and you used your Action to do it (though it does have some passive benefit of Jarn seeming like a multiattacking terror and you looking like a harmless nerd). You could also script "The ogre Strikes the Chandelier." This could have different effects based on intent. If intent is bang head on metal thing, then the ogre gets a save. If the goal is having the ogre knock the Chandelier down accidentally, then the Ogre doesn't get a save, it just hits the Chandelier and the DM would have to adjudicate the effect, no different than acid splashing it. 2d6 might be enough to bring the Chandelier down, but it might just snuff some of the lights creating shadows for the rogue to hide, etc.

As soon as you combine 2 or more Words your effect becomes save for 1/2 and has a Calligraphy DC (10+word modifiers which range from 1 to 5 depending on their effects).

By default you can complete a Testament with 1 Word as an action. Adding another Word is a bonus action but now invokes the DC. So say it's 13, You can also amp the DC by some amount I'll have to do maths to figure out (I'm thinking 3 for a Reaction or 5 for no Action). so you can reliably use 3, 4 or 5 as you go up in level. I'm thinking the damage stacks (so like multiple cantrips landing) and the damage die increases for every even word, so 2 words become d8s, 4 words become d10s.

So by level 20, if you can crack the 5 word DC (which can range between 15 and 35, but I think damage effects will default to higher DCs to make combining more than 2 prohibitive) you'll be hitting for 20d10 (if for some reason you can combine nothing but damage dealing words), but more commonly 12d8-16d10. Each time you use that effect, the total DC increases by 1/word, so in this case +5. This also means at level 4, when you'll have around 5 words total you might be able to pick 5 that work together and hit that DC, but the damage will be 5d10 since we're cantrip scaling.

Hmmm, that does create quite the spike at Tier breakers 5, 11, and 17. I think some clever design in the Word choice and level availability can keep that more manageable.

The real trick will be lasting effects. I'm thinking Lasting will extend a given effect by 1 round as a Cantrip (so you could use your action to turn the Bladewarding Warlock into a somewhat poopy Barbarian... is that too much?) and when mixed it creates a 1 minute duration. Maybe it can scale based on number of Words, so if you do a Lasting Fire the fire appears for 1 minute. Lasting Big Fire would be a 1 minute large area, while a Big Lasting Fire might last for 10 minutes.

Big just being a x10 multiplier for area or volume feels okay if effects like Fire are "1 ft diameter ball of flame."

If the Word Modifier increases by 1 for Each time it's used and reset after long rests, then I think that will be a good limit. Gotta see where Expertise comes in, Probably gonna hand it out so the math accounts for it right away rather than having a level of rogue break it all to heck.

You could buff an ally performing a feat of strength with "Jarn is Big." So Jarn counts as large until the end of your next turn.

You can just write "Fire" and there's a level appropriate cantrip effect. Fast might increase move speed normally, but when combined with others it might make much stronger effects. I think the basic vocabulary will comprise between 30 and 45 words, you don't know all of them, you know a portion and can forget/relearn every Calligrapher level like a Sorcerer.

The idea is that you're trying to elevate one of the two languages believed to be derivative of Truespeech, Celestial and Primordial, into Truespeech and coaxing the universe to "remember" the events as you describe in your testaments. I'm borrowing thematically from my Artist Class, but I don't think I can plagiarize myself.

Subclasses are focused on how you record events. Runekeepers use Runes which empower elemental effects, Codex keep books of prophecy in riddles and code that reveal secret Divinations, and Illuminators embellish their Testaments with elaborate renderings that create or enhance illusory or Conjuration effects.

We'll see how much of this makes it to the final cut.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by sengmeng View Post
    I like this. I also like that you cleared up my question in your other post: since you forgot the e, it came up as "runtracer" leaving me wondering if it meant a racer of runts, or a tracer of runs
    I will fix that.

7. - Top - End - #7

Daemon

Okay. Calligrapher is shaping up to be about 20 pages since I have an entirely new magic system to go with the Core class! I'm just about done with the base, now I have to hammer out the Subclasses.

Do I have to/Should I reformat post the whole thing for the chat tabs here or can I just link a PDF once I have one up and running?

Here's the gdoc link if anyone wants to take a look

Fluff
    Spoiler
    Show

Picture it: Azed the half-Elf opens an arcane tome on the field of battle, but instead of reading, begins to furiously scribble, the ink from his quill flying across the page. In moments he's scripted the events as he wants them to be, as his companions need them to be. The most archaic version of the Celestial tongue known fills his book, but two words stand out "The orcs advance in the D'LANARA (cube) of the field comes to ISHPET (stop)." The swiftly indited Testament to the events bore the two words written in a language the mortal mind could barely comprehend. The record he'd created was part of the Universe, future generations would read of this day and their collective understanding, informed by Azed's Testament was reflecting back through history to make it be.

The fields before him become a quagmire, the orcs' advance grinds to a halt, their own axes and arrows halting mid air as they are let fly. The Calligrapher's allies rain fire on the unsuspecting horde and the day is won!

As I mentioned upthread I took inspiration from Truespeaker, but instead of a whole bunch of discrete effects, this is a whole bunch of discrete effects that you can also Voltron write into bigger crazier effects.

Mechanics (loose description)
    Spoiler
    Show

It's Calligraphy Tool skill based (duh). Just like the old Truespeaker, the more you do in a day, the harder it gets. As is, one Word Testaments are cantrip level(ish), they incur no check to do but do essentially cost 1 silver (see Spellbook below) and raise the future DC of multi-Word Testaments that use those Words. So if you just make FIRE that's no difficulty, but if you later want to make CONE of FIRE, the DC will be 1 higher since you used FIRE earlier. If you use FIRE a dozen times a day, then the DC for a sentence with FIRE will be minimum 23, but if you just want to make the FIRE Cantrip effect, there's no roll other than bad guy saves.

Your "spellcasting ability" is Intelligence. The Calligraphy DCs to create your Multi-Word Testaments are 10+Calligraphy modifiers. You approach DC 20 around 3 words (most words seem to hover around +3 to the DC) but that's only for your first use, after that the DC of every word you used goes up every time you use them. Expertise is baked in at level 2 so I'm assuming a +17 at level 20 and trying to use that scaling. Really important "I'd use it all the time" words like Lasting (gives a 1 minute duration) are +4 or +5 base DC to discourage constant use.

As is this is a class that risks accomplishing nothing but wasted money and time. You can manage that by limiting the number of effects you pull off or sticking with Cantrips. A couple of big effects, a bunch of mediums and then you have a bunch of little ones left, but unlike Slots (you're out you're out) you can always swing for the fences and maybe do something ridiculous.

Spellbook
    Spoiler
    Show

You have a spellbook, but instead of writing spells in it you write Testaments. A Spellbook has 100 pages and costs 100gp, you can fit 10 Words of Power on a given page. That means a 1 Word Testament takes up a 10th of a page or 1 silver's worth of the book's value. So lots of big effects eat your book faster, but I think the average module wouldn't see nearly a whole book's use, so just have a back up.

Complaints
    Spoiler
    Show

One of the big challenges with this kind of undertaking is spending so much time writing in bread and butter that unique or interesting effects (like Secret Chests or Clones) are left out or avoided. I usually end up putting some of those into a subclass somehow.

New Subclass Concept for Calligrapher: Scrimshander
    You keep your Testaments carved into the bones or flesh of the fallen. This is a way to backdoor necromancy in since the established 3 don't cover it.
    Last edited by BerzerkerUnit; 2019-08-09 at 12:22 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Daemon

To TheVoidWatches,

The caster concept you have immediately rubbed me the wrong way and then the more I read it the more I warmed to it. It's presently at the top of my interest list for this contest, please be sure to finish it.

I'd recommend a Capstone that grants spell dice whenever you roll initiative and have none.

Naming concepts: Heuristitrix: something probablilities
    Khonshuan- egyptian god gambles for time (maybe get magic back)
    Dicer.

Good luck!
    Last edited by BerzerkerUnit; 2019-08-10 at 11:21 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hey thanks! Glad to hear you're interested.

That's a great idea for a capstone, and I'll definitely use it. As for theme/name, I'm currently thinking Arcanist - the idea is that they can rework magical residue into new spells. They'll have features that let them interact with other spells, too.
    Hi, you can call me Void. I prefer she/her or they/them pronouns, please. Yes, "they" is a singular pronoun. I write a superhero webserial called Paternum - check it out!

PEACH My 5e Homebrew, including...

Yet Another Warlock Rewrite (on GiantITP) Playtested Once!

Lycanthrope Base Class (on GiantITP) Contest Winner!

Vampire Base Class (on GiantITP) Full Class!

Inspiration Domain (On GiantITP) In Playtest!

Skinwalker Ranger Subclass (on GiantITP) Silver Medalist!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

I've just posted the core mechanic of the rune tracer, so please check that out, if you don't mind, I'd love the help! Also, could someone post a link to the class tables code, and maybe explain how to actually understand them?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by moonfly7 View Post
    I've just posted the core mechanic of the rune tracer, so please check that out, if you don't mind, I'd love the help! Also, could someone post a link to the class tables code, and maybe explain how to actually understand them?
    Quote Originally Posted by MoleMage View Post
    One quick bit of help for entries in general: there are pre-formatted tables available in this thread linked in the Notable Threads sticky for a variety of editions. Homebrewery.com and GMBinder.com also both have auto-generating class tables and a number of markup formatting options designed to mimic the PHB.

The following links are the posts which contain preformatted tables for 5th Ed. specifically:

One Feature Column, Special Column after features

Two Special Columns, Three Special Columns, Full Caster (Prepared)

Full Caster (Spells Known), Half Caster (Prepared)

Half Caster(Spells Known), Pact Magic, 1/3rd caster spell table (for subclasses)
    For these tables, they should be mostly prefilled with level, proficiency, ASI, etc. (plus spell slots if this was any other contest).

The way these tables are set up is to be printed by rows. So you'll see a few sets of tags: TR represents a new row while /TR represents the end of a row. Likewise TD represents a new cell (of Data), and /TD the end of a cell. So each row should be set up something like this:

(TR)
    (TD) Cell 1.1 (/TD)
    (TD) Cell 1.2 (/TD)
    (TD) Cell 1.3 (/TD)
    (/TR)

(With square brackets instead of parentheses) Which reads across as:

Cell 1.1 | Cell 1.2 | Cell 1.3

On top of that the whole table is wrapped in TABLE tags, with some parameters. There are guides around for the parameters but these tables already have them filled in to look nice.

I can do a better summary and examples when I'm back at my proper keyboard, but hopefully this helps get you started.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12

Daemon

Moonfly7,

Runetracer concentration mechanic question:
    So can they have multiple such effects running as long as they make the check?

First impression to concentration checks every round is that’s too many dice rolls, if they can keep multiple effects going that way, it’s wayyy too many rolls.

You could make the DC for Spells with Durations higher, Concetration is just a +2 while 1 hour and more could be +5 and so on.

Good luck whatever you choose!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Just finished formatting that first draft of the Arcanist. I'm not sure about it in some ways - it feels like I'm not really using spell dice differently from spell slots, except as a mechanic to keep a 50% chance of getting back a lower level spell after casting alongside a decreasing chance of keeping the same slot. I was originally thinking about having the result of the spell die roll also have some effect on the spell cast (like changing damage type, messing with the number of targets, etc) but I couldn't come up with anything that wouldn't feel off in some way (possibly because I tend to dislike random mechanics).

It's probably better than my first thought, though, which was to have an increasingly large pool of d6s - at the beginning of each turn, you rolled all of them, and the total number of 5s and 6s you got was the level of spell you could cast that turn, and you could expend a die until your next long rest in order to increase your allowed spell level by 1 (but of course, each time you did that, your max and average would go down until then). That would have been total chaos.
    Hi, you can call me Void. I prefer she/her or they/them pronouns, please. Yes, "they" is a singular pronoun. I write a superhero webserial called Paternum - check it out!

PEACH My 5e Homebrew, including...

Yet Another Warlock Rewrite (on GiantITP) Playtested Once!

Lycanthrope Base Class (on GiantITP) Contest Winner!

Vampire Base Class (on GiantITP) Full Class!

Inspiration Domain (On GiantITP) In Playtest!

Skinwalker Ranger Subclass (on GiantITP) Silver Medalist!

14. - Top - End - #14

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by theVoidWatches View Post
    Just finished formatting that first draft of the Arcanist. I'm not sure about it in some ways - it feels like I'm not really using spell dice differently from spell slots, except as a mechanic to keep a 50% chance of getting back a lower level spell after casting alongside a decreasing chance of keeping the same slot. I was originally thinking about having the result of the spell die roll also have some effect on the spell cast (like changing damage type, messing with the number of targets, etc) but I couldn't come up with anything that wouldn't feel off in some way (possibly because I tend to dislike random mechanics).

It's probably better than my first thought, though, which was to have an increasingly large pool of d6s - at the beginning of each turn, you rolled all of them, and the total number of 5s and 6s you got was the level of spell you could cast that turn, and you could expend a die until your next long rest in order to increase your allowed spell level by 1 (but of course, each time you did that, your max and average would go down until then). That would have been total chaos.
    You could also try Arcanaut for a name (I reserve the right to use it for a class of my own in the future).

Other thoughts: What if you have a Spell die that grows as you level, capping at d12.

Each round you can attempt to cast any spell you know and the difficulty to cast that spell is the spell level. If you roll the spell level or above on your Spell die the spell goes off. If you roll above by +1 or more you get a minor benefit (casting stat to damage). If you roll max you get a big benefit (maybe twinned or empowered). But that benefit gets blacked out till a short rest.

If you roll under, you get a Cantrip effect. On a 1 you get nothing. You could have your spell lists salvo’d somehow, like all Fire spells, all psychic spells etc so you know which Cantrip will happen on a fail.

You get some roll two and pick one a few times a day mechanic later.

This eliminates any sense of resource management.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by MoleMage View Post
    For these tables, they should be mostly prefilled with level, proficiency, ASI, etc. (plus spell slots if this was any other contest).

The way these tables are set up is to be printed by rows. So you'll see a few sets of tags: TR represents a new row while /TR represents the end of a row. Likewise TD represents a new cell (of Data), and /TD the end of a cell. So each row should be set up something like this:

(TR)
    (TD) Cell 1.1 (/TD)
    (TD) Cell 1.2 (/TD)
    (TD) Cell 1.3 (/TD)
    (/TR)

(With square brackets instead of parentheses) Which reads across as:

Cell 1.1 | Cell 1.2 | Cell 1.3

On top of that the whole table is wrapped in TABLE tags, with some parameters. There are guides around for the parameters but these tables already have them filled in to look nice.

I can do a better summary and examples when I'm back at my proper keyboard, but hopefully this helps get you started.
    Thanks! I'll get right on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by BerzerkerUnit View Post
    Moonfly7,

Runetracer concentration mechanic question:
    So can they have multiple such effects running as long as they make the check?

First impression to concentration checks every round is that’s too many dice rolls, if they can keep multiple effects going that way, it’s wayyy too many rolls.

You could make the DC for Spells with Durations higher, Concetration is just a +2 while 1 hour and more could be +5 and so on.

Good luck whatever you choose!
    No, they can't have multiple effects going at once. Thank you for bringing this to my attention actually, I hadn't considered it. I plan on having it be that runetracer cannot cast any other spell of any level while concentrating on another spell. The reason for this is that, thematically, they're "tracing" magical symbols in the air with both hands to keep the spell effect going, kind of like on the spot ritual casting, I guess. Although that's a bad example.
    Speaking of ritual casting, I was going to add a feature which lets you cast any spell with a certain casting time as a ritual, ritual casting not requiring saving throws, is this fair, or too much?

16. - Top - End - #16

Daemon

I’m not sure what their spell list looks like so I can’t say if Every Spell is a Ritual is broken or not. Unlimited Wishes? Imprisonments?

I can say, without question, no further casting while concentrating is bad design unless their concentration spells universally provide some new kind of action, like Witchbolt or Enervation do ( also note, everyone agrees those spells are terrible, essentially spending a spell slot for a new kind of Cantrip that’s easy for a foe to end).

Good luck whatever you decide!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

I’m not sure what their spell list looks like so I can’t say if Every Spell is a Ritual is broken or not. Unlimited Wishes? Imprisonments?

I can say, without question, no further casting while concentrating is bad design unless their concentration spells universally provide some new kind of action, like Witchbolt or Enervation do ( also note, everyone agrees those spells are terrible, essentially spending a spell slot for a new kind of Cantrip that’s easy for a foe to end).

Good luck whatever you decide!
    the thing here is that your not spending Spell slots, allowing for a more liberal casting approach. I have a question though, for everyone:
    If I didn't make you remake the spell check every turn while concentrating, you could cast other spells, but that sounds, to me, pretty broken. because your already casting spells without slots, and I'm worried that just concentrating on the effect like normal isn't enough. although the issue is that, conversely, I'm also worried that making you remake the check, and basically guaranteeing that you'll fail it and take damage on one of your turns, is going to make the class unfair and not fun.

I like the +2-5 AC idea that was suggested, but could anything else work better?

18. - Top - End - #18

Daemon

The game already has several ways around spell slot limitations, from Simulacrums to True Polymorphs, to Pearls of Power, to DMs that only have single encounters each day. Action and concentration economy are the real limiters.

If they don’t have to concentrate then maybe do a thing where the rune burns in the air and creatures can attack it to end the effect.

My concern would be casting a spell and then essentially being stuck as a 1st level character plinking with a crossbow for the duration.

I’m running into a similar issue with the Calligrapher (I think you and I are going to be sharing some design space), lasting effects don’t require concentration. My fix is effects only ever last a minute and over lapping areas of effect overwrite. So you can chain them, or litter a huge area in a short period of time, but a target never makes more than 1 save vs ongoing AoEs. And doing sonisnt smart because each time you try to make an AoE you’re making it harder to do again.
    Last edited by BerzerkerUnit; 2019-08-13 at 12:08 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Daemon

Alright, Calligrapher's 2nd draft is done.

It's 22 pages of google doc. I'm starting a Homebrewery document tonight, hopefully I can get some art done and I'm hoping I can playtest it this weekend, though that's going to be some whiteroom stuff.

I don't think anyone got back to me on whether a link to the gdoc or pdf is acceptable for the contest entry, the thought of formatting the whole thing for a thread after also doing it for the pdf is daunting. please LMK.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, Calligrapher's 2nd draft is done.

It's 22 pages of google doc. I'm starting a Homebrewery document tonight, hopefully I can get some art done and I'm hoping I can playtest it this weekend, though that's going to be some whiteroom stuff.

I don't think anyone got back to me on whether a link to the gdoc or pdf is acceptable for the contest entry, the thought of formatting the whole thing for a thread after also doing it for the pdf is daunting. please LMK.
    Using external formatting is fine, and in fact was the norm up until a couple contests ago. I recommend exporting as PDF since Homebrewery tends to be somewhat unreliable from device to device.

EDIT: Also note that the use of external formatting doesn't excuse the rule about sharing your entry. You can use Homebrewery or GMBinder, but wait until voting concludes to make your entry public on those sites.
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2019-08-13 at 08:57 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21

Daemon

I was going to put it on gdrive. Formatting the Testament section is turning out to be a beast. The language starts to get pretty sterile here and there as my desire to generate a variety of effects outweighs my commitment to pleasing prose descriptions. When it’s finally up I will welcome any descriptive blurbs.

Thanks!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Updated the mortifiers spell point system in a way that I feel it starts to look good.
    The short version is that you spend hit dice to get spell points as a bonus action. From 5th level, if you roll lower than your con-mod, you get to keep the hit die, else you spend it. You lose current spell points on rests. That might let you have spell points for too long though. It has slower progression to somewhat counter the possibility to get a lot more spell points.

There is a table on the maths of it to compare it to the DMG spell point variant in the post.
    Last edited by Fnissalot; 2019-08-18 at 04:26 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

1.) I see a Blood Mage in the post above me, apologies for a similar concept, but this version is a little different (No armor - 1 subclass gets light armor. Constitution based spell casting).

2.) My class DOES get One 7th, 8th, and 9th level spell slot later on. It's a class ive been building for a while. I am editing the concept to remove those spell slots and make 7th, 8th, and 9th level spells more HP expensive. I hope thats OK

3.) I have another thread where im bouncing my class off of posters to check for abusable issues and so on, im hoping that doesnt disqualify me. It's in this forum in the Homebrew Designs forum.
    Spoiler: Current Games
    Show

Aldaroth - IC

Tales of Trollskull Alley - IC
    ♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ ♭ ♮ ♯ 𝄫

Child Support - IC

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tallytrev813 View Post
    3.) I have another thread where im bouncing my class off of posters to check for abusable issues and so on, im hoping that doesnt disqualify me. It's in this forum in the Homebrew Designs forum.
    This is okay. You're allowed one thread for your class outside the main submission thread as long as it wasn't created before the contest started. Just make sure that you link to that thread in your submission post and link to the contest in that thread.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

I just posted the table for the Cultist as it currently stands. I've written up most of the features (except Awaken Idol and the Rite features) on it currently, but I still need to come up with ideas for 6th, 13th, 14th, and 17th level. Once I have all the features I'll post them in a big lump. Sorceries will be shared in PDF form once they are complete as well (I know from the Theurge that they won't fit in the same post). The bulk of the sorceries are shared with the Theurge or the Wilder (or both), but they're all being rewritten to use "sorcerous power" instead of surge dice, opening more options for math and dice type.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Nice! I like how you manage to make such a versatile system. My take on spell casting from hit dice is very limited to and built around my specific class.

I think all of the mechanics and rules for the Mortifier are written now. It lacks some flavour and introductionary text but it should be playable now. Any critique is welcome! I am not certain about some of the subclass features.

27. - Top - End - #27

Daemon

I think the current iteration of the Calligrapher will be what I go with for the contest, please check it out. I think I could revamp the entire thing as a straight Truespeaker by swapping Calligraphy Expertise for Perform Expertise and eliminating the need for something to write on. Rename some of the features and tweak the Aesthetics to Mnemonics and it might be good to go. But that's volumes of work I don't want to do and finally having a class that can "Eat a Potato Chip!" as a combat flourish is good enough for me.

Playtesting will reveal if my math is sustainable.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I think the current iteration of the Calligrapher will be what I go with for the contest, please check it out. I think I could revamp the entire thing as a straight Truespeaker by swapping Calligraphy Expertise for Perform Expertise and eliminating the need for something to write on. Rename some of the features and tweak the Aesthetics to Mnemonics and it might be good to go. But that's volumes of work I don't want to do and finally having a class that can "Eat a Potato Chip!" as a combat flourish is good enough for me.

Playtesting will reveal if my math is sustainable.
    After a quick read through.
    1. Hit Dice: 1d16 per Calligrapher level seems misswritten, i guess you mean a d6
    2. The testament system appears rather overwhelming at first, but after a while, I think I get it and then it provides a lot of depth. If I understand it correctly, a simple testament is pretty much a cantrip while a complex is a cantrip with a set of modifiers that might fail?
    3. Due to the complexity of this system and the vast amount of combination, I have no direct idea of what is balanced.
    4. Is there any limit to how many words a testament can hold (other than impossible dcs)?
    5. What happens if i combine multiple shapes in a testament?
    6. The row for level 18 in the table looks odd.
    7. There are a few inconsistencies; you sometime refer to big as great or tall etc.

29. - Top - End - #29

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Fnissalot View Post
    After a quick read through.
    1. Hit Dice: 1d16 per Calligrapher level seems misswritten, i guess you mean a d6
    2. The testament system appears rather overwhelming at first, but after a while, I think I get it and then it provides a lot of depth. If I understand it correctly, a simple testament is pretty much a cantrip while a complex is a cantrip with a set of modifiers that might fail?
    3. Due to the complexity of this system and the vast amount of combination, I have no direct idea of what is balanced.
    4. Is there any limit to how many words a testament can hold (other than impossible dcs)?
    5. What happens if i combine multiple shapes in a testament?
    6. The row for level 18 in the table looks odd.
    7. There are a few inconsistencies; you sometime refer to big as great or tall etc.
    Thanks for the heads up, I’ll definitely tweak those minor edits.

Yes, Simple Testaments are basically Cantrips (though some have unique effects that are quite powerful, like Brief). However, each use of those Cantrips also contributes to the increased difficult of a later Complex Testament using that word.

Impossible DCs are the limiting factor. Failing a generous DM that allows a custom item PCs will cap at +17 to their roll. The average 3 Word Testament will have a DC or about 21. Spamming it raises it by 3 each time (1 per word) so you rapidly approach unrealistic target numbers unless you change it up.

I rolled a couple of concepts into Great and Small (short, tall, Long, etc). Looks like I’ll have to swap those as well.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Thanks for the heads up, I’ll definitely tweak those minor edits.

Yes, Simple Testaments are basically Cantrips (though some have unique effects that are quite powerful, like Brief). However, each use of those Cantrips also contributes to the increased difficult of a later Complex Testament using that word.

Impossible DCs are the limiting factor. Failing a generous DM that allows a custom item PCs will cap at +17 to their roll. The average 3 Word Testament will have a DC or about 21. Spamming it raises it by 3 each time (1 per word) so you rapidly approach unrealistic target numbers unless you change it up.

I rolled a couple of concepts into Great and Small (short, tall, Long, etc). Looks like I’ll have to swap those as well.
    Great and small works but you refer to it by other names in some places.