New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Lightbulb [Plane] The Land Before Time

This is a work in progress, so suggestions are quite welcome. Basically this is based on the fact that aboleths and other aberrations originally came from a realm before the standard D&D multiverse.

This is what I've come up with so far...

-=-=-=-=-

Orsa

It is the realm before all realms.
    It is nature of a different order.
    It is the spawning place of the ancestors of aberrations.
    Orsa is the primal beginnings before all beginnings. The realm that came before all that is known came to be. It is a place of not-liquids and semi-solid congealings of an ocean that could swallow the elemental plane of water and not notice. Entire solid realms though float within, universe-sized pockets surrounded by scabrous material of dried slime and bilestone miles thick. Threads of gel thousands of miles long spread and dissolve, all building towards something unknown. The entire plane is as a macroscopic being as thoughtless as a virus and just as adaptable. It is ultimately mindless unless one counts the id, of which it embodies at every level, making it both eternally simple as well as incomprehendingly complex.

Within all these places creatures grew from a soup of potential where biology and life had no limits. All could grow because it all was possible. Even the most improbable came to be; beings that could think. Thought could shape the ooze for it was eager to become. Hunger and strength is what rules, not to do battle, but to subdue and feast, to survive and absorb.

One might could say Orsa is naught but an eternally large physical consciousness, a great brain, and indeed its substance responds to the strongest will around. A number of the elder evils themselves are thought by some to have been the beginnings of true brains formed from the muck. Upon gaining knowledge of self however they also began to understand selfishness, and broke away to pursue their own goals. The living plane of Neth itself is theorized to be one such piece of the former realm.

Orsa Traits
    * No Gravity: Creatures of Orsa move by swimming or being absorbed by the stuff of the plane and congealing elsewhere. The latter acts as the Dimension Door spell, caster level equal to the creature's HD, and the being cannot bring another along.
    * No Time: Nothing ages in Orsa, they merely evolve, growing in complexity until they became something else, often becoming absorbed into the plane.
    * Infinite Size
    * No Alignment Trait: The realm of Orsa has not yet conceived of morals or ethics, abstract ideas that have nothing to do with survival and adaption.
    * No Magic: Magic does not function in Orsa, the basic traits required not having yet evolved. Psionics however work perfectly normally as their rules are those of the mentality behind them, not what is beyond.

History
    Orsa is where creatures not of the current multiverse originally came. Beings out of time. Holashner, Piscaethces, Shothotugg and so many others formed and gained sentience from the plane, horrible intelligences of deific power. Some rose from the muck as a fish learned to walk upon land, entering the Far Realm so as not to become one with Orsa. Only these truly survived what was to come. The spawning place evolving and coming together to explode outwards in a new way. A new place and new laws, a concept not known before. The multiverse that now exists, of heaven and hell, elements and shadow, man and elf, the gods themselves.

Many of the aberrations we know today, the aboleth and tsochar, gibbering mouthers and chuuls, are but the shriveled offspring of their progenitors, deformed by the current universe which does not follow the correct laws. The ancestors of these beings when they returned from the Far Realm found the most suitable places they could for their offspring, upon the new planes or upon the widely scattered worlds. They did not thrive, but they survived and remain so until this day.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2007-10-10 at 02:35 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [Plane] The Land Before Time

This is perfect. It really brings a lot of beautiful symmetry to planar history. Thanks for this.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Why are there no pictures of flying dinosaurs?

Meanwhile:
    1. Why doesn't druidic nature magic work there - surely this is a place of such uber-nature that their spells would do incredible feats of wonder?

2. Why doesn't sorcerous magic work? It's natural!

3. Why doesn't warlock magic work? Or does it? If not, it's a natural ability - it should! If it does, Yaaay!

4. Why doesn't warmage magic work? It is merely a force of the soul expressed through aggression?

I like it
    Words, my weapons...
    Je veux aller sous votre peau.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Dihan-atar

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    You rascally psychopath, you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    On the phone, people talk back. And over. And aren't obliged to listen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felixaar View Post
    Kael, awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    I has been owned.
    Yup, Kael beat the Book Geek at her own game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Don't tick off Kaelawrath. The dear fellow is above reproach.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

But the real question is: do three horns never play with long necks?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelaroth View Post
    Meanwhile:
    1. Why doesn't druidic nature magic work there - surely this is a place of such uber-nature that their spells would do incredible feats of wonder?

2. Why doesn't sorcerous magic work? It's natural!

3. Why doesn't warlock magic work? Or does it? If not, it's a natural ability - it should! If it does, Yaaay!

4. Why doesn't warmage magic work? It is merely a force of the soul expressed through aggression?

I like it
    Because all magic relies on something external. Sorcerors have an inherent connection to whatever it is that makes magic work, but they still have to have access to the magicky stuff. That's why we have antimagic fields but null psionics fields: Antimagic fields literally repel magic from their borders, so that magic fails to function within them, while null psionics fields simply nullify any powers that are manifested into them. This ur-plane simply has no connection to whatever causes magic to function, just as a sorceror can't use his natural magic in a dead magic plane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Waspinator View Post
    I wanna know too.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

What Mewtarthio said basically.

I'm working on a druid PrC of this old order where they can give up levels in druid to become one of the 'other' druids, sort of how a paladin can become a blackguard.

I'm pondering though if I shouldn't let them start being able to use psionics instead of magic...

Quote Originally Posted by Waspinator View Post
    *WHACK*

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Hey, VT, it's your fault for naming this "The Land Before Time". You shoulda known people would be coming here looking for stats for Bigfoot, and Ducky, and Spike, and Cera, and all the rest of those characters whose names I can't remember. There was a pterodactyl named Pitri or something, wasn't there?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

What's next, are you going to tell me that there ISN'T a place somewhere on this plane named the Great Valley? I'm dissappointed with you. For shame......

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Change thread title to "The Primordial Plane"? Other than that it looks good. It no longer exists for (almost?) every campaign world currently being played, right?
    Would make a VERY different campaign setting (just wind the clock back untold millenia). What with Dimension Door availible to everything (at will?) and no gravity and psionics only... mutations and changes might be more common directions of advancement than standard classes... and equipment might be almost nil...
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    It no longer exists for (almost?) every campaign world currently being played, right?
    Oh, most definitely. I basically made it as a base for the PrC I'm going for.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Love it, its like Evolution without the survival of the fittest
    from,
    EE

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

What about the Far Realm?
    That's far temporally, as well as in every other way . . .
    Cthulhu fhtagn R'lyeh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    There were other programs that were deleted, but they either go quietly or spend the rest of their existence sitting around babbling about causality. Smith's different. He gets deleted and he's like "Hell no, I'm staying. And I'll steal your kernel privileges and spam copies of myself onto every last thing on the hard disk. How d'you like that?"
    Degeneration 91
    Homebrew:
    Anglermaids

Wendigo Race
    -Complicated Wendigo Race
    False Hydra (Goblin Punch)