New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Magic The Gathering Thread XXIII: Modern is Dead, Long Live Modern

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Edit: I just realized there are dual lands in Standard due to bicycles. So cabal stronghold could be used with a splash.
    It can't, it only checks basic swamps.

The exile clause from Contempt is at least as important as being an instant; maybe try Settle the Score?
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'll give it a try and save up for Vraskas.

What do people think about a single Lich's Mastery? The deck tends to fill about 15 cards in the grave over a game, and I use a lot of lifegain for arguel anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, but ANY time you lose life you have to exile stuff. Including paying into the Blood Fast.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

That's fair. Well the torments over chupathingies will help.

A lot of people playing Cabal Stronghold decks seem to be going for Mastermind's acquisition, but it seems ludicrously expensive mana-wise even for this deck. There aren't particularly specific answers in black right now so you would be wishing for one of a few cards anyway, which you could run 4 ofs.

Edit: I have gotten a lot of games in recently, and some changes have been made. Chupacabra is out, replaced by Torment of Venom as a 2 for 1 instant removal spell. Chupacabra's body is too small to matter in most matchups.

I"m also switching out Golden Demise, currently trying expertise but might end up on Bontu. Too many aggro decks are made of 2/3s or 3/3s these days.

Torment is great, adding a third to the main over a Josu.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2018-05-11 at 04:34 PM.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ettin in the Playground

I haven't had a chance to run my Esper Control deck yet (FNM didn't fire) but I'm already thinking about how to shift into midrange. Heroes and Villians. I'm still thinking about the sideboard, how to split Thopter Arrest and Ixalan's Binding, what the best mix of five-drops is, and whether Gideon is any good, but I think the core is pretty solid and I like how the mana curve worked out.

Sideboard: Definitely Duress and Authority of the Consuls. Lost Legacy seems like an easy add as well. Probably Nezahal for the control matchup.
    Arrest vs Binding: Arrest curves out from Knight of Malice. Binding hits more and stops extra copies. Maybe change from 3/2 to 2/3.
    5-drops: Reversing the number of Lyra and Teferi might be a good idea. Definitely not buying another Scrabbles so close to rotation.
    Gideon: Curving out from KoM is good. Being a 4/4 beater is good. +1 and emblem could be useful. Maybe I should just get more removal, though?

Any thoughts?

Spoiler
    Show
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    I haven't had a chance to run my Esper Control deck yet (FNM didn't fire) but I'm already thinking about how to shift into midrange. Heroes and Villians. I'm still thinking about the sideboard, how to split Thopter Arrest and Ixalan's Binding, what the best mix of five-drops is, and whether Gideon is any good, but I think the core is pretty solid and I like how the mana curve worked out.

Sideboard: Definitely Duress and Authority of the Consuls. Lost Legacy seems like an easy add as well. Probably Nezahal for the control matchup.
    Arrest vs Binding: Arrest curves out from Knight of Malice. Binding hits more and stops extra copies. Maybe change from 3/2 to 2/3.
    5-drops: Reversing the number of Lyra and Teferi might be a good idea. Definitely not buying another Scrabbles so close to rotation.
    Gideon: Curving out from KoM is good. Being a 4/4 beater is good. +1 and emblem could be useful. Maybe I should just get more removal, though?

Any thoughts?
    I only play the one deck, so I don't know what it feels like from the perspective of other decks.

But Teferi is just about the most irritating thing a player can cast. It ticks up for card and mana advantage, ticks down as a real removal spell that also gains you card advantage, and ultimates as an actual win con.

Chart seems weak in a control shell, you aren't looking to play 19 lands so you can afford to play better card advantage. Chart is a tempo and aggro card (it seems to me).

I have a hunch scarab god is better then demonlord, but since white is running a million exile effects that might not be true.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Chart seems weak in a control shell, you aren't looking to play 19 lands so you can afford to play better card advantage. Chart is a tempo and aggro card (it seems to me).
    This is midrange, not control. I am playing better card advantage (Karn, Teferi, sometimes Belzenlok) but Heiroglyphic and Glimmer aren't what I'm looking for - I don't care much about playing at instant speed and I have some small creatures to attack with, so paying 2 mana for 2 cards is a better deal than 4 for 2, even with a scry stacked on.

I do think I could use some more enablers, though, as I don't think Gideon is reliable enough. Knight of Grace is a possibility, but my only small enabler is Knight of Malice.

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

This is midrange, not control. I am playing better card advantage (Karn, Teferi, sometimes Belzenlok) but Heiroglyphic and Glimmer aren't what I'm looking for - I don't care much about playing at instant speed and I have some small creatures to attack with, so paying 2 mana for 2 cards is a better deal than 4 for 2, even with a scry stacked on.

I do think I could use some more enablers, though, as I don't think Gideon is reliable enough. Knight of Grace is a possibility, but my only small enabler is Knight of Malice.
    I actually meant just add more teferis, he adds mana for removal, draws cards and wins games. I hate that guy...

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

Started re-evaluating my modern seasons past deck:

Spoiler
    Show

Creatures:
    4x Tireless Tracker
    1x Nissa, Vastwood seer
    1x twilight profit
    1x Emrakul, The promised end

Planeswalkers
    2x Lilliana the last hope

Spells
    1x Dark Salvation
    4x fatal push
    2x Inquisition of Kozelik
    2x Ultimate price
    2x grasp of darkness
    1x Lost legacy
    4x Bontu's last reckoning
    4x Hero's Downfall
    3x Read The Bones
    1x Vraska's Contempt
    4x Dark Petition
    1x Nissa's Renual
    1x Seasons Past

Lands
    4 Evolving wilds
    2 Feild of ruin
    10x swamps
    6x forest

Sideboard
    1x Nissa Vital force
    2x Dead Weight
    2x Infinite Obliteration
    2x Inquisition of kozilek
    3x Naturalise
    4x ???? (currently 1x Torment of Scarabs, flaying tendrils, Gonti, Lord of Luxury, Hour of Glory)

what's ya'll thoughts on Cast Down (or other removal spell) over Grasp of Darkness? Also I have 4-5 pretty open Sideboard slots that I'm sure I'm not using efficiently and could use some advice on.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ettin in the Playground

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/20-0...z-deck/update/

Behold a Brawl deck I've been working on. Opinions?
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sagara
    It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder
    I did not lie, I wilfully participated in a campaign of misinformation

Murdered by Furthur Maths.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

Grasp vs Cast Down comes down to two questions. Is BB hard on your mana base? Is 5+ toughness more common than indestructible? Occasionally the non-legend clause comes up too.

With evolving wilds and field as your fixing, BB is probably difficult to cast early. I personally don't have too frequent of an issue with indestructible, but YMMV. I would say that cast is generally better, but a split is also easily doable and helps with testing.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Techwarrior View Post
    Grasp vs Cast Down comes down to two questions. Is BB hard on your mana base? Is 5+ toughness more common than indestructible? Occasionally the non-legend clause comes up too.

With evolving wilds and field as your fixing, BB is probably difficult to cast early. I personally don't have too frequent of an issue with indestructible, but YMMV. I would say that cast is generally better, but a split is also easily doable and helps with testing.
    BB is super easy, the deck was built when Grasp was taking the fatal push slot. Yes the actual removal package should be metagamed before an event, but since I haven't played modern in forever, I have no idea what the common threats are anymore.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

Arcbound Ravager, Knight of the Reliquary, Gurmag Angler (occasional Tasigur), Wurmcoil Engine, Meddling Mage, Hollow One, and Tarmogoyf were the most relevant creatures from each deck I played against at ThNM last week. -X/-X in modern generally is only relevant against regenerate (Ezuri, Welding Jar). Cast Down doesn't hit Tasigur or Ezuri. No other commonly played legendary creatures relevant in modern spring to my mind (other than Geist obviously).

Test both cards in the slot. What kind of budget are you on? Good cards are expensive and all that. Suggesting things like Thoughtseize, Maelstrum Pulse, or Collective Brutality don't help if they are beyond what you are willing and want to spend.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

Other common legends in Modern? Thallia and Thallia, mainly.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ettin in the Playground

Baral in Storm.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground

Tasigur is on a down-swing, but he's also reasonably common in black decks. Ezuri is pretty key in elf decks, and people still play Kiki Jiki every now and then, too.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, Griselbrand is also a combo piece people play that you can't kill with Cast Down. Can't kill it with Grasp either, though, so it doesn't really make a difference? Same with Tasigur, if you're choosing between Cast Down and Grasp you can't touch either. Midrange sometimes plays Kalitas, though not often, so it might matter to you there. Jace, Vryn's Prodigy is also a card some people play that you might want to be able to handle with most of your removal.

At the same time, Grasp of Darkness doesn't kill Siege Rhino and can sometimes not be able to kill Tireless Tracker, Tarmogoyf, or Scavenging Ooze. It may also not kill Gurmag Angler or Death's Shadow, or Master of Etherium if Affinity chooses to play that.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ettin in the Playground

Has anyone tried building around The Antiquities War? I'm thinking of trying out something like this, although I don't like some of the card choices. I think I'd drop the compasses, boards and a few lands for renegade's map, another battle, and probably Karns and filigree familiars.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

Every time I play with Tatyova in limited I want to go try and make her work in constructed... It hurts.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

Has anyone tried building around The Antiquities War? I'm thinking of trying out something like this, although I don't like some of the card choices. I think I'd drop the compasses, boards and a few lands for renegade's map, another battle, and probably Karns and filigree familiars.
    I saw a deck built around it once in a video, but I don't recall the details. I haven't myself, though. It was an opponent in a recent SaffronOlive video if I recall correctly, if you're looking for inspiration. In general, I'd probably suggest playing mostly artifacts that actually do something if you can and avoiding things like Navigator's Compass, which is kind of trash. Treasure Map and Karn seem like your best cards and you should be playing 4 if you can, besides of course many copes of The Antiquities War. I believe the deck played Ornithopter and lots of ways to make Thopters and Servos, which is a decent way to go since you get more out of each card. Thopters in particular are useful since they have flying, so they ensure you get more damage through when you actually finish your Saga.

It seems like a cool deck, as The Antiquities War is itself a reasonably powerful card. Might want to play it with the Standard Storm deck that runs Paradoxical Outcome and Inspiring Statuary (which now that I think about it is probably a card you want to play anyways), or maybe try to work those shells together? It certainly seems like there's a deck here.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

21. - Top - End - #321
    Firbolg in the Playground

How's this look as an upgraded version of the Hazoret Aggro challenger deck?

Spoiler
    Show
    Creatures (23)
    4 Bomat Courier
    4 Fanatical Firebrand
    2 Soul-Scar Mage
    3 Earthshaker Khenra
    3 Ahn-Crop Crasher
    3 Goblin Chainwhirler
    2 Hazoret the Fervent
    2 Glorybringer

Planeswalkers (1):
    1 Chandra, Torch of Defiance

Spells (12):
    4 Shock
    2 Magma Spray
    4 Lightning Bolt
    2 Abrade

Lands (24):
    4 Sunscorched Desert
    20 Mountain

Sideboard (15):
    2 Magma Spray
    2 Abrade
    4 Sweltering Suns
    3 Kari Zev's Expertise
    2 Sentinel Totem
    2 Key to the City

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

Building around Antiquities War for Standard? Consider these options...

Renegade Map/Traveler's Amulet (partly replacing land slots and partly replacing Navigator's Compass; you preserve them for the War finale if you have enough lands, and you can Board the Weatherlight into next turn's land drop)

Specific recommendations here: -4 Navigator's Compass, -4 Crypt of the Eternals, -1 Field of Ruin, +1 Plains, +1 Island, +1 Swamp, +4 Renegade Map, +2 Traveller's Amulet.

Edifice of Authority/ Deadlock Trap/ Icy Manipulator/ Pacification Array (threat and blocker mitigation; combine with sweepers for a control plan)

Glassblower's Puzzleknot (additional digging)
    Last edited by Bucky; 2018-05-26 at 08:40 PM.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

I made a EDH deck about Toothy, Imaginary Friend... and I would like some feedback.

So their it is:

Commander: BING BONG! (Toothy, Imaginary Friend)
    + Pir, Imaginary Rascal (sigh, I guess)

Creatures : (17)

1x Faerie Swarm
    2x Drift of Phantasms
    3x Laboratory Maniac
    4x Stuffy Doll
    5x Solemn Simulacrum
    6x Tempest Djinn
    7x Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur
    8x Curious Homonculus
    9x Chimeric Mass
    10x Chasm Skulker
    11x Vexing Sphinx
    12x Blighted Agent
    13x Quicksilver Gargantuan
    14x Burnished Hart
    15x Archetype of Imagination
    16x Viral Drake
    17x Gilder Bairn
    18x Cyclone Sire

Enchantements : (7)

19x Inexorable Tide
    20x Archmage Ascension
    21x Eyes of the Watcher
    22x Arcane Laboratory
    23x Propaganda
    24x Corrupted Conscience
    25x As Foretold

Instant/Sorcery (23)

25x Words of Wisdom
    26x Muddle the Mixture
    27x Dream Fracture
    28x Countervailing Winds
    29x Brainstorm
    30x Snakeform
    31x Counterspell
    32x See Beyond
    33x Ghostly Flicker
    34x Arcane Denial
    35x Scatter to the Winds
    36x Learn from the Past
    37x Windfall
    38x Echoing Truth
    39x Swan Song
    40x Cyclonic Rift
    41x Tezzeret's Gambit
    42x Fuel for the Cause
    43x Stubborn Denial
    44x Hyriam Recall
    45x Curse of the Swine
    46x Flood of Recollection
    47x Bioshift

Artefacts : (11)

48x Otherworld Atlas
    49x Thran Dynamo
    50x Everflowing Chalice
    51x Sol Ring
    52x Hedron Archive
    53x Grindclock
    54x Library of Leng
    55x Whispersilk Cloak
    56x Isochron Scepter
    57x Swiftfoot Boots
    58x Thought Vessel
    59x Cauldron of Souls

Planewalkers (1)

60 x Jace, Memory Adept

Lands: (38)

Mostly Basic Islands
    1x Reliquary Tower
    1x Field of Ruin
    1x Myriad Landspace
    1x Halimar Depths
    1x Command Tower
    1x Vivid Grove
    1x Vivid Creek
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2018-06-08 at 08:40 PM.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    I made a EDH deck about Toothy, Imaginary Friend... and I would like some feedback.

So their it is:

Commander: BING BONG! (Toothy, Imaginary Friend)
    Any particular reason you're not taking advantage of the Partner ability and using Pir as a co-commander? Even if you don't plan on casting him, it would give you access to green.
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2018-06-08 at 05:04 AM.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Any particular reason you're not taking advantage of the Partner ability and using Pir as a co-commander? Even if you don't plan on casting him, it would give you access to green.
    The main reason is that I realized Toothy can be an awesome commander on his own with his drawing capacity. But I must admit that I fixed this deck from cards I already had. It was cheaper for me to not splash green. But I think by putting cards like Collective Restraint, Tempest Djinn, Faerie Swarm, etc., I can make this deck strong without the need to splash green.

Im considering adding Sigil of Distinction to the deck as well. Found it both useful in such deck as well as thematic to Inside Out.
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2018-06-08 at 08:03 AM.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Firbolg in the Playground

The main reason is that I realized Toothy can be an awesome commander on his own with his drawing capacity. But I must admit that I fixed this deck from cards I already had. It was cheaper for me to not splash green. But I think by putting cards like Collective Restraint, Tempest Djinn, Faerie Swarm, etc., I can make this deck strong without the need to splash green.

Im considering adding Sigil of Distinction to the deck as well. Found it both useful in such deck as well as thematic to Inside Out.
    Collective Restraint, in a mono-color deck, is just a worse Propaganda.

If you can figure out a way to bounce Sigil of Distinction, so you don't wind up with a 0 charge counter version, then it's definitely a great pick. Otherwise, I'm uncertain.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    Collective Restraint, in a mono-color deck, is just a worse Propaganda.

If you can figure out a way to bounce Sigil of Distinction, so you don't wind up with a 0 charge counter version, then it's definitely a great pick. Otherwise, I'm uncertain.
    ... Do you mean if its bounced? I can just recast it again then right? Beside, if they waste their bounce on that card, they are in for some surprises later on. I can just Proliferate to get some more lol

But of course, I could replace "Sigil of Disctinction" with " Unity in Purpose ". Getting two +1/+1 counter as well as allowing me to untap two creature with +1/+1 counter on them could be useful.

I could replace Collective Restraint with Crawlspace I guess? Collective Restraint is not that bad I think because no opponents would pay 4 mana to attack me but... is Crawlspace actually better?

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

... Do you mean if its bounced? I can just recast it again then right? Beside, if they waste their bounce on that card, they are in for some surprises later on. I can just Proliferate to get some more lol

But of course, I could replace "Sigil of Disctinction" with " Unity in Purpose ". Getting two +1/+1 counter as well as allowing me to untap two creature with +1/+1 counter on them could be useful.

I could replace Collective Restraint with Crawlspace I guess? Collective Restraint is not that bad I think because no opponents would pay 4 mana to attack me but... is Crawlspace actually better?
    Crawlspace is better. In a mono blue deck, Collective restaint only adds 1 to the cost for attacking crwatures, because it counts basic land TYPES (Island, Mountain, Plains, Forest, swamp) not just basic lands.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Crawlspace is better. In a mono blue deck, Collective restaint only adds 1 to the cost for attacking crwatures, because it counts basic land TYPES (Island, Mountain, Plains, Forest, swamp) not just basic lands.
    Wow, one word change everything! We being using that card wrong in my group then!

Ok, Will do that then!

EDIT: The adjusted deck:

+1 Jace, Unraveler of Secrets
    +1 Jace Memory Adept
    +1 Unity of Purpose
    +1 Crawlspace
    +1 Thought vessel

-1 Riddleform
    -1 Primal Amulet
    -1 Collective Restraint

For a total of 61 cards and 38 lands... Considering my deck is build for drawing cards, I figured 38 lands is not the end of the world.

I realized my math was wrong in my number of sorceries and Instant cards. It gave me room for other cards to put in there. I didnt remove the Sphinx bone wand because I could still increase the number of charge counter on it, helping me getting rid of a few threats on the field more consistantly then Lux Cannon.

It pains me but I wont put Sigil of Distinction in the deck. I just dont have the room.
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2018-06-08 at 04:23 PM.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ettin in the Playground

IMO, it's not that great, Mono Blue just doesn't have the density of effects needed to really abuse toothy. You need to dip into green.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sagara
    It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder
    I did not lie, I wilfully participated in a campaign of misinformation

Murdered by Furthur Maths.