New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wereoctopus

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Wereoctopus

I'm just talking to a player about our up coming game, and we were discussing Lycathropy.

Its a rather flexible template which causes a bit of madness when you get things like a WereOctupus. 2HD and 3LA is rather bothersome, but if you did have a WereOctopus, how does the jet work? From the SRD
    Jet (Ex)

An octopus can jet backward once per round as a full-round action, at a speed of 200 feet. It must move in a straight line, but does not provoke attacks of opportunity while jetting.
    This is a Special Quality, which according to Lycanthrope entry

A lycanthrope retains all the special qualities of the base creature and the base animal, and also gains those described below.
    Since Jet doesn't actually specify water, does it work on land? How does that even work? It has a rather amusing mental image, but if you did have a wereoctopus, what would happen? What about the Ink Cloud? This could become a rather amusing build...

While we're at it, why does the Octopus have a land speed if it can't breath air?
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashmir View Post
    When I die, I donate my body to the cause of whatever ******* finds it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Wereoctopus

RAW, there's nothing stopping it from working on land. But that's stupid, so it probably wouldn't fly in any game.

On the octopus having a crappy land speed but no air-breathing, I'd expect it's because octopuses can kind-of-sort-of move on land, but can't breath air.
    Last edited by eggs; 2012-07-12 at 02:25 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eggs View Post
    On the octopus having a crappy land speed but no air-breathing, I'd expect it's because octopuses can kind-of-sort-of move on land, but can't breath air.
    Its just odd, did WotC expect Octipie to come out of the water? Do they in real life?

Amusing RAW things are amusing, the fact that RAW allows it means that it can be optimized. I mean, 200ft. movement, yes please! The real questions would appear if you add a fly speed via winged template or such. Do you stay in the air? It seems like it.

And Ink Cloud gives full concealment, that's pretty nice.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

You could probably fly with Jet.

Jet 200' into the air. Drop distance = land movement speed (much slower)
    Jet 200' further at an angle to adjust height.
    ???
    Profit!

To land, adjust height to 5'. Flop back on land for 0 damage.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

they rarely come on land but it does happen. I havent seen it but a friend of mine has watched small ones make runs from tidepools back to the surf and taken pictures

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Madara View Post
    Its just odd, did WotC expect Octipie to come out of the water? Do they in real life?
    Yeah. They're not exactly graceful, but they can get around.

If octopus abilities are allowed to work outside the water. a wereoctopus could be pretty neat - concealment is awesome, and Improved Grab without any size limits is kind of a big deal (especially if they apply to Sword and Fist's extra grapple mods based on extra limbs... I'd have to check).

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

If octopus abilities are allowed to work outside the water. a wereoctopus could be pretty neat - concealment is awesome, and Improved Grab without any size limits is kind of a big deal (especially if they apply to Sword and Fist's extra grapple mods based on extra limbs... I'd have to check).
    Kind of reminds me of the cloud of fighting in cartoons. Cloud clears, you see the winner and the beaten up opponent.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

i'd allow both to work out of water.

jet should work the same. you shoot out a stream of liquid to push yourself backwards. it doesn't really matter what that liquid hits once it leaves your body.

ink cloud would also work the same. instead of ink mixing with water, it forms into tiny droplets that hang in the air like fog.

but personally, i prefer Dire Animals for lycanthropy. that extra good save can be a lifesaver.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

The PCs were already a special forces type unit in a kingdom's military, so the campaign started in the general's office.

Extended Homebrew Signature

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, this is why I want to think about Wereoctopus. Not the giant Octopus, the normal one because it only has 2HD and gives +6 Dex.

I don't think the hybrid form gains any extra limbs...

I wish they did. Still, you'd kick but in animal form if you could get even larger. Enlarge Person perhaps?

jet should work the same. you shoot out a stream of liquid to push yourself backwards. it doesn't really matter what that liquid hits once it leaves your body.
    That is why this would be just weird.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blood~

10. - Top - End - #10

MindFlayer

If I were running this out of water the Ink Cloud would unimpressively stream onto the floor and when Jet was activated a bubble would appear with the word 'Ppfffttthh!!' in it with no other effect..

I think Illithid would be a better option on land.

Blood~

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Based on Explosive Momentum, it really doesn't matter what is ejected. Could be a sneeze (gas), but it'll have to exit at much higher speeds (since lower mass)

Think a artillery shot and recoil. A big/fast enough bullet is going to push it back pretty far without support.

EDIT: As for using the same liquid they used in water... So long the liquid mass*velocity is scaled to the current user, it should have the same effect.

In fact, air has much LESS resistance compared to water. Slight problem is that your feet in contact with the ground will provide a higher resistance, so you're liable to having your feet knocked from under you.
    Last edited by 2xMachina; 2012-07-12 at 03:11 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

If I were running this out of water the Ink Cloud would unimpressively stream onto the floor and when Jet was activated a bubble would appear with the word 'Ppfffttthh!!' in it with no other effect..

I think Illithid would be a better option on land.

Blood~
    That's GM fiat. RAW doesn't even mention any water requirement, or how it works. It just does. I might as well spit out rainbows which push me back 200ft..

Also, Wereoctopus Mindflayer = amazing

What would a wereoctopus mindflayer look like in hybrid form?

Could be a sneeze (gas), but it'll have to exit at much higher speeds (since lower mass)
    I like the sneeze, that seems more acceptable than the other...options.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blood~

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

I like the sneeze, that seems more acceptable than the other...options.
    That said, ejecting from around the center of body mass (or lower, to counter the extra friction at the legs) would be better, since there's less angular momentum that way :P

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2xMachina View Post
    That said, ejecting from around the center of body mass (or lower, to counter the extra friction at the legs) would be better, since there's less angular momentum that way :P
    There are some times where you need to just accept the effects, and ignore the cause. This is one of those times.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blood~

15. - Top - End - #15

were-octopi instinctively know how to "run" with the jet, reducing friction by keeping their feet off the ground except as necessary to maintain balance and height. they start on their feet, they end on their feet, but they fly most of the way.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

The PCs were already a special forces type unit in a kingdom's military, so the campaign started in the general's office.

Extended Homebrew Signature

16. - Top - End - #16

MindFlayer

That's GM fiat. RAW doesn't even mention any water requirement, or how it works. It just does. I might as well spit out rainbows which push me back 200ft..

Also, Wereoctopus Mindflayer = amazing

A wereoctopus mindflayer? Don't they make some Japanese movies about them? Tentacles everywhere

Blood~
    Last edited by Bloodgruve; 2012-07-12 at 03:47 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

There is a portion of anatomy that ejects mass near the centre of mass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

18. - Top - End - #18
    Colossus in the Playground

I can just see a wereoctopus ninja infiltrating a wizard's tower by jetting to the roof.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I was thinking a wereoctopus rogue would be good for the +6 dex, concealment cloud, and 200ft. jet.

Blood~
    can I sig this?
    Last edited by Madara; 2012-07-12 at 05:54 PM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blood~

20. - Top - End - #20

It wouldn't, lycanthrope can't be applied to aberrations.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

21. - Top - End - #21

MindFlayer

can I sig this?
    Be my guest :)
    Last edited by Bloodgruve; 2012-07-12 at 05:29 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGirl

you might be able to sneak around it using half troll though I'm not sure how you could make it work.
    Minister of sarcasm and pragmatism of the Grayview fanclub.

No, none of us were altering the unimutable laws of physics. That would be wrong.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TerrickTerran View Post
    you might be able to sneak around it using half troll though I'm not sure how you could make it work.
    But Half-Troll doesn't work on Abberations...

I'll look into it and see what I can do.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blood~

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

IRL Octopi are well known for moving between tanks in aquaria in order to have a snack, which is why they have to be kept in tanks with lids.

How would the Octopus control its movement when jetting out of water ?
    I have this image of an octopus shaped balloon spinning out of control at high speed.

The hybrid form would probably be confused for an Illithin.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, this is how it works

Mindflayer -> Dustform -> Incarnate Construct -> WereOctopus

Abberation -> Construct -> Humanoid -> Humanoid(Shapechanger)

I really need a different template for the Abberation -> Construct part
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blood~

26. - Top - End - #26

I once had a DM shoot down my wizard with an octopus familiar idea when I pointed out the ink loophole and declared my intention to escape bad situations by holding my pet above my head and shouting "BEHOLD, THE OCTOPUS!" before disappearing in a cloud of chemical darkness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    [..] that post by Crasical...I can't find the words. Were I capable of emotion, I would cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokuhara View Post
    That's beautiful Crasical... Simply marvelous.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Crasical View Post
    I once had a DM shoot down my wizard with an octopus familiar idea when I pointed out the ink loophole and declared my intention to escape bad situations by holding my pet above my head and shouting "BEHOLD, THE OCTOPUS!" before disappearing in a cloud of chemical darkness.
    Then Jet away! When the cloud clears, nothing is there.

Man, a octopus would be fun in play.

28. - Top - End - #28

I'm sure I could fit a mini Wizard villian doing this at some point in my campaign... though the odds are high the PC's would just see a Wizard still standing there while his/her/it's Octopus just squirts Ink on his head and struggles in his hands
    "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."

The First Rule of Thesaurus Club is: You do not Talk, converse, chat, speak, gossip, chatter, natter, utter, discuss, confer, reason, deliberate, consult, parley, lecture, sermon about Thesaurus Club!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

...I'm stealing this. Is that okay?
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

You could probably fly with Jet.

Jet 200' into the air. Drop distance = land movement speed (much slower)
    Jet 200' further at an angle to adjust height.
    ???
    Profit!

To land, adjust height to 5'. Flop back on land for 0 damage.
    Alternatively: Apply Featherfall.

Now it's certainly, not probably.
    On a quest to marry Asmodeus, lord of the Nine Hells, or die trying.