New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [d20r, Race] Kobold

Kobolds are short, reptilian humanoids with cowardly (and occasionally sadistic) tendencies. Kobolds gravitate towards traps and trapmaking as if it were their destiny. Nearly the entire race enjoys tinkering with mechanical objects, especially traps.

Kobolds also have a long heritage of surprisingly effective mass combat tactics. While many do not think of kobolds as being very intelligent, most kobolds are actually more intelligent than the average human. As such, kobolds have surprisingly well-planned tactics and frequently surprise opponents who underestimate them.

A kobold's scaly skin ranges from dark rusty brown to a rusty black color. It has glowing red eyes. Its tail is nonprehensile. Kobolds wear ragged clothing, favoring red and orange. A kobold is 2 to 2½ feet tall and weighs 35 to 45 pounds. Kobolds speak Draconic with a voice that sounds like that of a yapping dog.

• -4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence
    • Small size: As Small creatures, kobolds gain a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks, but they must use smaller weapons than humans use, and their lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of Medium-size characters.
    • Reptilian: Kobolds are Humanoids with the (Reptilian) subtype.
    • Speed: A kobold's base land speed is 30 feet.
    • Darkvision: out to 60'.
    • Natural Armor: Kobolds receive a +1 racial bonus to their Natural Armor class due to their scaly skin. This bonus increases by +1 every five levels (to +2 at 5th level, +3 at 10th level, +4 at 15th level, and +5 at 20th level).
    • Trap Sense: Kobolds haven an intuitive sense that alerts them to danger from traps, giving them a +1 bonus on Reflex saves made to avoid traps and a +1 dodge bonus to AC against attacks made by traps. These bonuses increase by +1 each five levels (to +2 at 5th level, +3 at 10th level, +4 at 15th level, and +5 at 20th level).
    • Tinker: Kobolds enjoy tinkering with mechanics, traps or otherwise. As such, they receive a +2 racial bonus on Craft (Trapsmithing) and one other Craft skill chosen at character creation.
    • Natural Attacks: Kobolds have small claws and fangs they can use to defend themselves when necessary. Kobolds have two claws that deal 1d3 damage each, and a bite attack that deals 1d4 damage. Kobolds use their claws as their primary attack.
    • Natural Talent: A kobold has a small pool of reserve energy from their natural inclination towards tinkering they may tap into daily. A kobold has one charge per three class levels, minimum one. A charge may be spent as part of a Craft check to gain a competence bonus on the check equal to one-third his character level, rounded down (minimum one). A charge may also be spent to power a feat with the [Kobold] descriptor.
    • Automatic Languages: Draconic. Bonus Languages: Common, Dwarven, Orc, Undercommon
    • Favored Class: Fencer.
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2009-02-26 at 09:20 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [d20r, Race] Kobold

It looks good, but the changes surprise me.

Why have you moved away from the dragon-worship and sorcerer aspect? I would've pegged them to get a Charisma bonus, in keeping with the dragon flavor that Kobolds have always had. And their most unique mechanics had to due with imbuing themselves with sorcerer-esque powers as SLAs. What is your reasoning for taking this path instead?

The Natural Talent ability seems very bland, especially since most PCs won't be making Craft checks all that often, nor will it help in all but the most specific situations. I would've thought them to be a perfect race to get Sneaky Tricks, like goblins.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    Why have you moved away from the dragon-worship and sorcerer aspect? I would've pegged them to get a Charisma bonus, in keeping with the dragon flavor that Kobolds have always had. And their most unique mechanics had to due with imbuing themselves with sorcerer-esque powers as SLAs. What is your reasoning for taking this path instead?
    Kobolds-are-mini-dragons is (a) overdone; and (b) not a good fundament for a race. Sure, maybe a good racial template path or some bonus feats, but not really a good basis for an entire race.

The Natural Talent ability seems very bland, especially since most PCs won't be making Craft checks all that often, nor will it help in all but the most specific situations. I would've thought them to be a perfect race to get Sneaky Tricks, like goblins.
    Yeah. The Natural Talent ability is there to power feats, not for any essential racial feature. They get plenty of other goodies (advancing natural armor, small size with no speed penalty, natural attacks, advancing trap sense, and stats that synergize with their favored class), so I'm not really concerned with that.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Works for me.

The only suggestion I can think of right now for the Natural Talent is let them use it to get the Slight Build feature, like you originally had Halflings get?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

the writing on the Natural Talent says they get no bonus until third level.
    kono watashi chigiri motte kaihou chuushin to kaihou omoi
    -The Tengu of Water, Yawata Saburou Tadamori

stolen from fawsto, and he stole it from someone else.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    Works for me.

The only suggestion I can think of right now for the Natural Talent is let them use it to get the Slight Build feature, like you originally had Halflings get?
    Kobolds, what with their measly 2-2.5 heights seem more likely to qualify for Slight Build than halflings who normally stand at 3 foot. That being said, kobolds look fine as is. If you make them any smaller, I'd bet money that my party would want to capture one, name him Shennanigans, and force him to build traps while berating him for his tininess. After blindind and deafening him, naturally.

....I feel my train of thought derailed there....

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

With their Natural Talent and Tinker abilities, having a favored class of fencer seems a bit off. IMO, I think Artificer would be a better fit. (then again, my answer for anything is the Artificer )
    Last edited by Graymayre; 2009-02-26 at 08:57 PM.
    Bombastic founder of the "That guy with a Halberd" Fanclub
    Wanna see this guy return? Click here for more information
    Check out my Spaceatar by Geiger Counter here
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    I am laughing my head off and applauding your tactic genius all at the same time. Bravo, good sir...
    FighterITP : Silver

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yay! Kobolds!

If you haven't heard they are my favorite race in the whole wide world. I'm glad to see them getting some love.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Graymayre View Post
    With their Natural Talent and Tinker abilities, having a favored class of fencer seems a bit off. IMO, I think Artificer would be a better fit. (then again, my answer for anything is the Artificer )
    Unfortunately, Artificer is not OGL-ed material. As such, I can't use it.

Quote Originally Posted by WaterTengu View Post
    the writing on the Natural Talent says they get no bonus until third level.
    Fixed.
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2009-02-26 at 09:23 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Fencer is?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WaterTengu View Post
    Fencer is?
    Considering I made it, yes.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    Favored Class: Fencer.
    Hello. My name is Yokyok. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
    Last edited by Lappy9000; 2009-02-26 at 09:39 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Considering I made it, yes.
    i thought there was a fencer PrC in version 3.5? just not a main class.

14. - Top - End - #14

ElfMonkGuy

Unfortunately, Artificer is not OGL-ed material. As such, I can't use it.
    The word "artificer" is not copyrighted by anyone and one of the meanings is a creator of artifacts. You could make your own Artificer with unique mechanics and it wouldn't be in violation of anything.
    Characters:
    None right now!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Daracaex View Post
    The word "artificer" is not copyrighted by anyone and one of the meanings is a creator of artifacts. You could make your own Artificer with unique mechanics and it wouldn't be in violation of anything.
    True, certainly. I just have enough on my plate already.

Unless someone else would like to try to make a d20r Artificer.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lappy9000 View Post
    You have an overly developed sense of vengeance. It's going to get you into trouble someday.

(This is my way of saying you win the thread. )

Fax, have you considered deliberately aligning Kobolds to OotS-verse Kobolds? The Fencer thing (as opposed to Rogue, perhaps?) almost makes it seem like it.
    Last edited by Draz74; 2009-02-26 at 10:08 PM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    Fax, have you considered deliberately aligning Kobolds to OotS-verse Kobolds? The Fencer thing (as opposed to Rogue, perhaps?) almost makes it seem like it.
    I prefer my kobolds conniving stabbity bastards, not dragon-lites. So, in a way, yes.

18. - Top - End - #18

The +2 INT seems out of place to me, I always imagined them to be very crude(with deekin being the exeption). Also could you ever see creating subraces of the kobold, into a more traditional draconic one?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I presumed that this changes were inspired by the dearly beloved Tucker's Kobolds, hence the trap bonuses and int bonus.
    Was this the inspirtaion?
    (Tucker's Kobolds: http://www.tuckerskobolds.com/).

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

More like "my father, mother, sister, brother, and closest 100 friends on your rampage through our territory, which is why you're currently sitting at the bottom of a 1000-foot spiked pit trap."

I like the direction you're taking this. I always thought the whole draconic emphasis took away from their "dastardly tricky trappy bastards" schtick, and it really only appeared in mid-to-late 3e, so a return to their roots is appreciated.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

"Bluff, bluff, bluff, bluff the revenge-driven kobold into not realising that your faking it on account of being under the effects of a magic curse that prevents you from doing lethal damage within a town, city or other urban area!"

Thanks for this, I now have to right up kobolds for my 3.75. I think I will base it on yours but with some dragon mixed in (lizardmea/dragon/goblin hybrids?).

Stupid running gags!
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I really like this take on one of my favorite races. You're right, they were too draconic.