New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Ryclend Deephold

Drynch
    Scowling into his ale, the dwarf gestured to Bartholemu as he muttered to his elven companion, "Och, damn fool, offerin' ta pay people ta go ta Deephold! Well, one's born every day, as dey say, an' many die, I always add."

Quijol
    The elf chuckled and shrugged, "There is a very fine line between foolishness and bravery, Tanglechin, razor thin to the truly observant. Have another drink and toast Clangy's beard"
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Carn
    Carn, interested, said"hrm... should we go up"
    and than realizing the implications yelped"but how could he know"

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

Bartholemu

Relieved not to be the center of attention, the nervous young man takes the opportunity to slip out from the huddle of people he has unwillingly become, if not the center of, then at least part-focus of. He edges around the wall toward the stairs.
    The management holds no responsibility for loss of sanity while reading this post.

Kurt

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Alberich
    Grumbling quietly about his meal being interrupted before it even began, Alberich begins heading for the stairs.

5. - Top - End - #35

PaladinGuy

Carn
    Carn heads up the stairs

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Roderick notices the many adventuring types head upstairs. He extends his divine senses for any signs of corruption and cruelty in his surrounding fellows, and follows the group upstairs, interested in what may be going on.

Spoiler
    Show
    Detect Evil l SLA at will, per spell
    Run like you mean it boys & girls,
    that there's a lich!

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Default Key Meeting

The elf wizard named Elduin, who tended the inn during the day, conducted the meeting. He greeted each person as they entered, asked their name or what they wished to be called, and politely asked that everyone get comfortable and chat amongst themselves if desired until all were assembled. The room was furnished with a large oval table and many types and sizes of chairs for a comfortable meeting; complete with a sidebar filled with all manner of drinks and snacks.

After the entire entourage was assembled, Elduin spoke in a friendly manner, “Again greetings to all, and my personal welcome to Greenhorn Hall. Each of you is here because you expressed some interest in exploring Ryclend Deephold.

For those who agree to our terms, you will be provided with a magical key. Each is attuned to one person, who is the only one that can operate that key. When activated, the key will open a small gate once each day, which only the owner can locate or use, through which you can step into your room. The gate remains active until you step through it again, returning you to that exact spot in the dungeon you left.

We will also provide you with a map of the last known layout of the first level of the dungeon itself, though it may not be accurate in whole or part, as things change there occasionally and nobody has dared the Deephold in years.

The terms are a fee of 50 gold pieces a week for each room, and your oath not to betray our trust here at Greenhorn Hall. The rooms are large enough for two people, though you may want your own, which is fine. That fee includes meals and other typical services we offer while you are here. The oath will be secured with arcane and divine magic from myself and Bukrohm, which is included in the Key itself, for your protection as well as ours.”

The elf wizard took a sip of brandy and slowly looked around at those gathered in the room, then smiled slightly, “You may keep everything you find while exploring. We ask only that you allow us first chance at any item you wish to sell or trade, or anything unique. I assure you, a much better deal will be had for everyone in the long term.”

Finishing his brandy, the wizard waved his hand to call the Unseen Servant to refill it as he added, “Now, I am sure there will be numerous questions, countless concerns, and other possible issues you wish to address. I will answer any that concern the Key, the terms, or the dungeon, and try to answer others.”
    Last edited by Gryndel; 2018-09-02 at 06:57 AM.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Terev had been the last one to come into the room, and took a seat in the back just before Elduin began his speech. Terev listened to the wizard, growing more interested as he went over the details.

As the wizard finises Terev asks " I have heard many tales about the Deephold, but since you have organized this expedition I am sure you know more. What dangers might we face inside?"

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Roderick listens to the information, frowning slightly at the mention of the oath. Once he gets an opportunity to speak, he asks:

What are the details of this oath? Many of us I am sure have our own oaths that we have to be sure will not conflict.
    that there's a lich!

10. - Top - End - #40

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+8)[12]

As a reminder, Victor always possesses the ability to see invisible, along with darkvision and flight. That probably isn't relevant currently, just something to keep in mind for the future.

Victor hummed non-concomitantly at the deal put before the eclectic gathering. "I'm curious, do you have anything specific in mind when you say 'unique'? It sounds like you want priority even if we don't intend to sell."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sidelar View Post
    As the wizard finises Terev asks " I have heard many tales about the Deephold, but since you have organized this expedition I am sure you know more. What dangers might we face inside?"
    "Dangers typical for dungeons, I suppose, and many others besides. I doubt there will be many large airborne threats, once inside, but there may well be some large open spaces within. Sorry to be so vague, but its been decades since I was there, and as I said things can changes there over time. With the key, at least you can return here and recover safely from whatever you face that inflicts harm."

Quote Originally Posted by Figment_ View Post
    Roderick ...What are the details of this oath? Many of us I am sure have our own oaths that we have to be sure will not conflict.
    "Indeed, which is why we keep it simple and general in nature, leaving the details to the individual to speak. We ask nobody to take the oath if it would conflict with one they currently hold. I doubt that anything your honored Deity would require of you to swear an oath to conflicts with not betraying our trust."

Quote Originally Posted by Vauron View Post
    Victor hummed non-concomitantly at the deal put before the eclectic gathering. "I'm curious, do you have anything specific in mind when you say 'unique'? It sounds like you want priority even if we don't intend to sell."
    "Unique, as in never seen before. Indeed, such a priority is implied, but not to claim ownership of anything you find. We seek only to advance knowledge in the magic community, and learning about new items is an important part of that. I meant only that if you do find something unique, we get the first chance at learning how it works. Choosing to keep such items would not change that opportunity."
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

12. - Top - End - #42

PaladinGuy

And may i know who this we is? It sounds like you do not work alone.
    Spoiler
    Show
    sense motive: (1d20+11)[17]

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by white rider View Post
    And may i know who this we is? It sounds like you do not work alone.
    Spoiler
    Show
    sense motive: [roll0]
    "Oh I speak for myself and my trusted partner, Bukrohm Orcsplitter, the dwarven priest."

Spoiler
    Show
    You sense no deception
    Last edited by Gryndel; 2011-10-25 at 03:37 PM.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

14. - Top - End - #44

PaladinGuy

Carn
    Alright. so the only reason you are doing this is magical knowledge. I can accept that. Now, if you could state the exact terms of the oath?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by white rider View Post
    Carn
    Alright. so the only reason you are doing this is magical knowledge. I can accept that. Now, if you could state the exact terms of the oath?
    The elf smiled patiently and shrugged, "As I said, the details of the oath itself we leave to each individual, to avoid conflict with any other oaths. The basic idea is that you not betray our trust, most particularly that you do not speak of or show off the magic key to others outside your group."

Elduin's eyes gazed over slightly as he relived memories while he continued, "Bukrohm and I, along with others, made quite a fortune there. We discovered over 50 levels, with no end in sight! So we retired, yet thought it proper to give others such a chance, which also helps keep it from becoming too dangerous, but with some connection ourselves."

He shrugged and added, "That is why we went to so much trouble to create the keys, and why we believe we deserve such loyalty, and an oath is very common for such arrangements. You could always venture there on your own, and I would still wish you luck."
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

16. - Top - End - #46

Halad

Halad stood at the back of the room with Ryn at his side. Craban was perched unsteadily on his shoulder. He listened to the questions of the others, and Elduin's answers. When the subject of payment came up, the elf grimaced. Maybe Sienna had a few coins to spare.

17. - Top - End - #47

Alberich

Alberich winced slightly at the price. "Not to sound ungrateful, for this is a great service you are offering, but would it be possible to negotiate a slightly lower price if, say, we excluded meals from what was included?"

18. - Top - End - #48

Sienna stands next to Ryn, casually scratching the hound behind the ears. At the mention of the price of room and key, she inhales sharply. She looks up at Halad and whispers, "Think you could spot me a few coppers?"

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Roderick hears the whispering and notices a few of the nervous twinges when the elf brings up the matter of coin.

Would it be possible, perhaps, if one was to lack the coin for an immediate payment, to put a lien on their potential earnings? For example, instead of paying 50 gold now, they would agree to pay 60 gold worth of trinkets or coin out of any treasures that are found in the first expedition?
    that there's a lich!

20. - Top - End - #50

PaladinGuy

Carn
    "yes, i too am short of coin. however, i will promise, in my oath, to pay you back as soon as possible

21. - Top - End - #51

PaladinGuy

Carn
    "I will, however, offer to sell you this extremely valuable magic item. It bestows great telekinetic powers on it's user, and can be yours for a meager 3000 gold

Spoiler
    Show
    bluff: [roll]1d20+13[/roll]
    Last edited by white rider; 2011-10-26 at 03:02 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52

PaladinGuy

roll didn't work
    (1d20+13)[19]
    edit: there we go
    Last edited by white rider; 2011-10-26 at 03:03 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Elduin shrugged and chuckled softly, "Imagine that, various adventurers looking for an adventure, some of whom have little coin on hand. Fret not, brave ones, such a contingency has been well considered, and various solutions are available."

Arching an eyebrow with a slight grin at Carn, the elf added, "I doubt there is need for such a transaction, but if you truly want to sell magic items, my cousin can offer you a better deal at his shop."

Bluff 19 vs Sense Motive 22 = fail

"If some of you lack the proper funds, your oath and some partial payment will suffice for now, and you can owe us the rest. The terms I stated did not include you to make full payment immediately. After all, we fully expect you will discover many treasures on your expeditions, and we are trying to build a trusting and lasting relationship with you."
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gadora View Post
    Alberich

Alberich winced slightly at the price. "Not to sound ungrateful, for this is a great service you are offering, but would it be possible to negotiate a slightly lower price if, say, we excluded meals from what was included?"
    "Yes, those not in need of sustenance would pay only 35 gold per week.."
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

25. - Top - End - #55

PaladinGuy

Carn
    "very well. i offer 30 gold and my oath

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

Elduin

The elf smiled at Carn. After hearing the oath and being paid he crooked the forefinger of one hand. A small shower of green sparks appeared and coalesced into a scroll and feather pen floating in the air a foot or so from Elduin. The elf smiled and spoke softly in Elvish, which the pen transcribed exactly, “Carn, paid 30 for single room, balance 20.”

He nodded at Carn and read in Common what had been written, then handed him a key and added, “Excellent, and welcome aboard, as it were. I wish you the best of luck.”

Key:
    Spoiler
    Show
    4" long, made of silver/mithril blend, weight 1 lb, strong Conjuration/Abjuration
    Last edited by Gryndel; 2011-10-26 at 10:25 PM.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

27. - Top - End - #57

Quote Originally Posted by Gryndel View Post
    "Yes, those not in need of sustenance would pay only 35 gold per week.."
    Alberich shudders slightly. "I'm rather tired of conjured food, but at that price I'll have to keep eating it for a while." He looks around the room. "Would anyone care to share a room? I'm told I don't snore too badly, and I can provide food for the both of us."

28. - Top - End - #58

PaladinGuy

Carn
    I will share. I have already payed much of the first week, so you can pay me back later
    i charge very reasonable interest rates (chuckle)

29. - Top - End - #59

Quote Originally Posted by Jokes View Post
    Sienna stands next to Ryn, casually scratching the hound behind the ears. At the mention of the price of room and key, she inhales sharply. She looks up at Halad and whispers, "Think you could spot me a few coppers?"
    Halad
    Grinning sheepishly, Halad whispered back, "I was going to ask you the same thing."

When the wizard mentioned not having to pay up front, the elf heaved a sigh of relief. His drinking was safe for another night.

"Will a gold piece do? I'd rather give your bartender the rest," he called to the wizard, smiling broadly.

30. - Top - End - #60

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming we eat each day, leaving the dungeon each night, and you choose to only eat 'good' meals, you save 2.5 gold/week. Ignoring the other services (presumably things like laundry and baths), you'd be losing 4.5 a week if you stick with common food.

On another note, please never use that shade of yellow again, White Rider. I don't need help making my eyes bleed.

Victor

"I find your terms acceptable"
    spoke Victor before signing and paying his fee.

Upon signing Victor passed his gaze over the eclectic group. " I have nothing against sharing a room with any of you, should you desire the company. "