New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default A walk in the sun. (Vampire: Requiem)

I was wondering if it was possible in Vampire: The Requiem to build up to being able to walk in the sun without taking damage, or somehow mitigating the damage down to nothing. I only have access to the Core Requiem book at the moment, but if needed I can use sources from other books.

Also, I would like to avoid using any means that would drop humanity.

Otherwise, Experience is not an issue, or blood potency (since it kind of predicates on experience.) The character will be a Daeva.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: A walk in the sun. (Vampire: Requiem)

I hear there's an obscure sourcebook called Twilight: The Sparkling....

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

The Coil of Banes taught by the Ordo Dracul provides various aids against sunlight.

But even the third level of it only causes sunlight to do bashing damage at Dawn and Dusk when the sunlight is weakest
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

4. - Top - End - #4

Dominate 5 will let you walk around in a borrowed body. Anything that's useful for having a body double in the real world will also apply to the vampire in question. Auspex 5 and Animalism 5 can do something similar, although more limited.

Physically moving one's kindred body around in broad daylight and not going up like a roman candle? It's theoretically possible, if you're willing to throw insane levels of Coils and Resilience into it. That really means 9-10 dot range, where your powers are ridiculously powerful plot devices.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

I kinda figured that was the way of it, but hey, I can at least see some of the sunrise, right?

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by talys_boh View Post
    I kinda figured that was the way of it, but hey, I can at least see some of the sunrise, right?
    Well, right up until you Rotshreck.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Well, right up until you Rotshreck.
    Coil of Banes helps with that to ( a bit)
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Vlad Dracula himself can supposedly manage it, but yeah, that's one of those "power of plot" things. I vaguely recall some Theban Sorcery or Cruac powers that come close; I think there's that gives you a literal armor of blood that can briefly allow you to endure sunlight for relatively minor damage as long as you can keep paying the upkeep cost, and another where you literally martyr yourself to temporarily dim the sun for your allies...

The 5th Dominate dot (or the Animalism equivalent?) is probably one of the best ways to simulate it, really. Or there's some kind of expensive devotion that causes you to automatically enter Twilight Projection during daysleep that I recall, but if your goal is to feel the sun on your dead flesh it's not quite the same.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

If you've got some way to reduce Lethal damage, high levels of Resilience can do it. Heck, if you've got enough blood high levels of Resilience can do it on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    If you've got some way to reduce Lethal damage, high levels of Resilience can do it. Heck, if you've got enough blood high levels of Resilience can do it on its own.
    Are you actually allowed to activate Resilience multiple times in a scene to refresh the agg-damage downgrade?

11. - Top - End - #11

Officially no. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a devotion out there to that effect, though.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

This has been most helpful. Thanks.

The goal of course is to create and build up a high humanity vampire, who would like to see the sun and continue "being human" in whatever fashion he can manage. Coils were already high on my list of powers to use, but Resilience definitely factors in.

Thanks again.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by talys_boh View Post
    This has been most helpful. Thanks.

The goal of course is to create and build up a high humanity vampire, who would like to see the sun and continue "being human" in whatever fashion he can manage. Coils were already high on my list of powers to use, but Resilience definitely factors in.

Thanks again.
    For resilience, even assuming a custom devotion, you'd be talking some sort of Resilience 5, Blood Potency 7 monster hooked up to an IV bag if you wanted to stay in the sun for more than a few seconds. He needs to convert agg to lethal, then heal the lethal. And do that every turn. It's really not a terribly practical thing to try and pull off in game.

14. - Top - End - #14

P. 192. Golconda, and similar forms of transcendence.

The closest you'll come in practical play, though, is a character with a solid Animalism score. Feed with fewer moral qualms than humans present, and the ability to experience the sun without similar moral qualms about forcibly overriding a person's body. What you're trying to play is a character free from some of the game's main conflicts. Escaping them is the culmination of your character's growth cycle. Not something you're supposed to be able to throw XP at until it goes away.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Reluctance View Post
    Physically moving one's kindred body around in broad daylight and not going up like a roman candle? It's theoretically possible, if you're willing to throw insane levels of Coils and Resilience into it. That really means 9-10 dot range, where your powers are ridiculously powerful plot devices.
    Actually, a Noctuku can manage it. Their Bloodline Discipline has a level of it where you can make a protective "special leather" armor that protects against the normal stuff, and even against fire and sunlight. However, you'd need an exceptional success on the crafting roll to be able to remain undamaged in direct sunlight, and you'd still be vulnerable to fear frenzy.

Of course, since you said that acting human was part of your goal, you might be better off attempting to find Golconda, as hunting down humans for their skins seems a little counter-intuitive to that plan.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2012-07-19 at 03:03 PM.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

16. - Top - End - #16

RogueGuy

Work for a tissue harvesting bank. Save lives, tan leather! Red cross will help with the blood issue. Be the interview guy and feed from a donor every night from the privacy of the interview room, then wipe the memory and send them how with the explanation that they are low clotting factor today and an appointment for later in the week.

Use majesty to convince gangs to give up violence to encourage people to feel safe walking the streets at night to help out your fellow vamps. Use domination to break drug habits and fight behaviors that cause STD outbreaks.

Vampires work great as they benefit when they keep the mortals fat and happy. I don't know why they feel so drawn to such trades as drugs and weapons. These things directly damage the food supply!

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Fouredged Sword View Post
    Work for a tissue harvesting bank. Save lives, tan leather! Red cross will help with the blood issue. Be the interview guy and feed from a donor every night from the privacy of the interview room, then wipe the memory and send them how with the explanation that they are low clotting factor today and an appointment for later in the week.

Use majesty to convince gangs to give up violence to encourage people to feel safe walking the streets at night to help out your fellow vamps. Use domination to break drug habits and fight behaviors that cause STD outbreaks.

Vampires work great as they benefit when they keep the mortals fat and happy. I don't know why they feel so drawn to such trades as drugs and weapons. These things directly damage the food supply!
    Thing is, the food supply breeds a lot faster than drugs, weapons, and human trafficking damages it - and the vampires really need the ready access to violence those trades provide them.

Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

18. - Top - End - #18

Thing is, the food supply breeds a lot faster than drugs, weapons, and human trafficking damages it - and the vampires really need the ready access to violence those trades provide them.
    For example, if you control the drugs and weapons, you can decrease or increase the violence as you see fit - such as where your rivals feed.

19. - Top - End - #19

Work for a tissue harvesting bank. Save lives, tan leather!
    Well, the other problem in being a Noctuku is that they have a compulsion to eat flesh when they feed. It is technically resistable, in the same way that not Frenzying when down to your last point of Vitae in the middle of a blood drive is possible.

Red cross will help with the blood issue. Be the interview guy and feed from a donor every night from the privacy of the interview room, then wipe the memory and send them how with the explanation that they are low clotting factor today and an appointment for later in the week.
    That's fine if you don't use your Disciplines.

Also, answering an earlier quote I somehow missed...

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I hear there's an obscure sourcebook called Twilight: The Sparkling....
    Technically that's covered in Dudes of Legend.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post

Technically that's covered in Dudes of Legend.
    Oh, right. Best. Sourcebook. Ever.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Note that Golconda is entirely dependent on your ST. One ST might interpret it as a Kindred overcoming the curse by becoming mortal again with or without keeping his powers. My take on it is that Golconda involves the acceptance of the vampiric condition; you'll never enjoy food or sunlight again, but you have all these cool powers at your disposal for the rest of eternity.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

My favourite interpretation of Galconda is that it's the "perfect union of Man and Beast"... meaning the vampire becomes a horrible monster and stops feeling guilty for it.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    My favourite interpretation of Galconda is that it's the "perfect union of Man and Beast"... meaning the vampire becomes a horrible monster and stops feeling guilty for it.
    Wouldn't make a lot of sense with the implied requirement of a high Humanity, though.

My extended homebrew sig

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Personally, I`m fond of "there is no Golconda". It's just a metaphor that someone coined a long time ago and got mistaken as fact by hopeful vamps. Rather, it's about the journey rather than the destination. Spend your life in devotion and faith, and maybe hope to be redeemed in final death.

The Ordo Dracul, on the other hand, is more likely to be a route to the sort of transcendence from weaknesses that one normally associates with Golconda. Again, Dracula. And if you go the opposite route, embrace the Beast, maybe you end up with something more like The Unholy.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    Personally, I`m fond of "there is no Golconda". It's just a metaphor that someone coined a long time ago and got mistaken as fact by hopeful vamps. Rather, it's about the journey rather than the destination. Spend your life in devotion and faith, and maybe hope to be redeemed in final death.

The Ordo Dracul, on the other hand, is more likely to be a route to the sort of transcendence from weaknesses that one normally associates with Golconda. Again, Dracula. And if you go the opposite route, embrace the Beast, maybe you end up with something more like The Unholy.
    Did they ever stat out that abomination? They certainly talked about The Unholy a lot in the core book.

My extended homebrew sig

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Did they ever stat out that abomination? They certainly talked about The Unholy a lot in the core book.
    She's in Nomads.
    Basically, she is around as strong as your average Prince. BP7, a handful of 5 dot disciplines, attributes and skills.
    No special rules, other than having an OWoD style bestial deformity.

27. - Top - End - #27

Night Horrors: Immortal Sinners, iirc.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

28. - Top - End - #28

RogueGuy

You can actually get very close to golconda as an ordu. There is a coil that you must maintain high humanity to use, but it lets you do things like never frenzy and other cool things. I had an elder in a game I played follow this path. They party didn't even know she was a vampire for a long time.

She wasn't very powerful as elders went. Most her exp was spent bouncing back and forth around 9 to 10 humanity. A major part of the plot revolved around the party ether helping her finally achieve golconda for real or causing her to backslide into a bloody spree of revenge over a betrayal from when she was a neophyte.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

You can actually get very close to golconda as an ordu. There is a coil that you must maintain high humanity to use, but it lets you do things like never frenzy and other cool things. I had an elder in a game I played follow this path. They party didn't even know she was a vampire for a long time.

She wasn't very powerful as elders went. Most her exp was spent bouncing back and forth around 9 to 10 humanity. A major part of the plot revolved around the party ether helping her finally achieve golconda for real or causing her to backslide into a bloody spree of revenge over a betrayal from when she was a neophyte.
    I love that coil. I especially love the suggestion that the Unholy's alternate backstory might actually be as the creator of that coil, a famously (former) high-humanity vampire. My headcanon likes that idea.

30. - Top - End - #30

The 1st dot of the Coil of the Ladder is awesome. The 2nd dot sucks, because it stops working whenever you use a Discipline. The 3rd dot is nice, but maintaining Humanity 10 is insanely difficult...and even losing it once means you're 30XP in the hole each time you dip down to 9.