New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Home 24: A house in this market?

[Lake Cabin - Private Party]

"I admit I'm more of an urban type," Fayyaad says, leaning back and thinking. His tail sways slowly behind him. "I grew up in a bustling city and I prefer to be close to where things are happening... which means a city. And it does admittedly make the prospect of taking over a tower or castle less likely. They frown on this kind of thing in the cities."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Raindrop District Apartment

The woman sniffles a little harder, wiping away the tears that well up in her eyes before glancing back towards Jen and nodding. After a moment of hesitation, she leans forward to close the gap between them, wrapping her savior in a tight embrace despite the aching in her arms that comes with it. She starts to sob, tears streaming down her bruised face as she cries for the first time in a very, very long while.

It takes Fidelia a couple minutes to get it all out of her system, her soft voice faltering a little as she chokes out the last couple of sobs and her grip slackens. "T-thank you... thank you so much..." she gasps out, her words a little faint after all of that. She doesn't break away, not completely, until she takes a deep but shaky breath, trying to collect herself a little. "I-I swear... I won't - I won't let you down, Jen." She reaffirms, wiping one last falling tear away from her reddened eyes.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Trick or Treating

See Endok, I told you! The younger dwarf frowns as he digs around in his bag for another lemon drop to trade. I'm Olon and this is my brother Endok. Khannie gets a wave from the younger dwarf as he's introduced. I'm a big gross flea that our mum killed and she's a big boney bird. Her name was Gened and the flea was Tuxxu. Olon adds.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34
    Halfling in the Playground

Spoiler: Thad's Apartment
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleWolf View Post
    Thad's Apartment

Thad fills the glass for Vivi before gently passing the bottle over to Lucy. "No worries. Vivi is tougher than she looks and you can probably tease and poke at her all you want and you'll be square with both me and Sarcadian." He says, trying to soothe the obvious worries. "She's entirely too "humble" for her own good and could probably be taken down a couple notches and we all know it." He adds with a grin. "Though really, if you need a place to crash for a night or whatever, just stop on by and let me know, even if Vivi isn't here. Fair warning however, I suspect she'd be cross with me if you stopped by and I didn't tell her, considering the glow she's got at the moment." He admits, gesturing at Vivi with his thumb pointed at her to prove his point.

"I think you made a lasting impression."
    Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [Thad's Apartment]

"I would be very cross," Viviana says daintily. She hadn't even been sure why Lucy was apologizing. "The boy says I'm tougher than I look, but you need the whole bottle? Goodness dear. You really must explain to me what you are, as I can certainly tell you're no human. And what is the situation with this satchel, hmm? I sense genuine concern. I'm very good at reading young people, as I'm sure you have both already perceived. Trying to keep things from me is pointless."

"Speaking of which, if she does show up here and I am not informed so I might plan an immediate rendezvous, I am taking your apartment away Thad," Vivi turns up her nose and sniffs.

[Thad's Apartment]

"Well she certainly left a lasting impression on me." Lucy rubs her neck and laughs awkwardly, then shrugs and takes a deep swig from the bottle. Sure everyone seems fine and happy and all, but she still can't shake her feeling that she's a little out of her depth here. Or maybe she should just stop worrying, it had been quite a while since she'd had an experience even close to what Vivi had shown her.

Or maybe it's just the dose of liquid courage she just drank that's letting her shrug off her cowardice for once.

"Y'hear Thad there, Vivi? He says I gotta take you down a coupl'a notches!" Lucy grins, adding in a couple of light pokes for emphasis. She's not sure how she'd really go about doing that, although a couple of ideas certainly spring to mind. Something to keep tucked away for next time, maybe. Whenever next time turns out to be. She flashes her grin back Thad's way again, takes another big gulp out of the bottle and hands it back. "I can't make any promises, but I'll do my best to get some quality teasing in."

And while it may not be teasing exactly, there's an immediate opportunity to be a bit of a tease at least. "Some things have to remain a secret at least for now, Vivi. If I told you everything about me straight away, you might get bored of me! I think you know enough things to make some educated guesses though, riiight? The satchel is simpler though, it's just a valuable family heirloom."

Spoiler: Ithuriel's Demiplane
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Post-Invasion Riverbank => Pocket Dimension

"Coffee," Ambriel repeats, in the most skeptical tone he can muster. It's quite impressive, actually. I have to wonder if he's been practicing it in his spare time for exactly this sort of occasion, because it absolutely could not sound more skeptical if he tried. "The magical pocket world from my dreams, accompanied by the same beautiful angel who made it so special the first time...or coffee." Ithuriel might or might not recall Magtok saying something about not being particularly fond of coffee back in Trog's. She also might notice her winged cyborg companion is already trying to step through the portal with her right this very moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnrlshrimp View Post
    [Post-Invasion Riverbank -> Ithuriel's demiplane]

"What, would you rather I'd just said "hot drink" or something? I know there's alternatives to coffee, geeze!" Slightly exasperated, mostly amused, Ithuriel does have to catch herself from making some snarky comment about all Magtoks being really pedantic when it comes to coffee.

He's not a Magtok, he's Ambriel, he's waaay nicer than that dumb cyborg and it's really not fair to compare the two even in jest.

...also he's already going through the portal. Huh. Eager much, Wings?

"Smartass comments aside, you sure know how to make a lady feel special. Now get that smart ass of yours in there!" She'll give him a little shove in the derriere to get him moving a little faster and quickly follow him in, the portal closing behind them.

[Ithuriel's Demiplane]

It's cold here. It's the sort of cold and dark that really makes folks want to grab a blanket and huddle up by a campfire, maybe drink some hot mulled wine, that sort of thing. Fir trees form a solid ring around the little log cabin that is Ithuriel's home and, sure enough, there's the soft inviting crackle and whisp of smoke curling up from a lit campfire. The air is still, snow seeming to almost hang in the air as it slowly falls.

To Ithuriel, this cold permanent twilight is the most comforting place in the world. It's made even better for having Ambriel beside her. As the angel and the angel-like cyborg step through, she stretches a wing out around him, the portal closing behind them. "So, Ambriel, this is totally just me wanting to engage in some selfish fantasy, but I reckon I could use my awesome angel powers to regenerate your wings and make them nice and white and properly angel-y again. Also, uh, welcome back to my home. I haven't really done any redecorating since last time or anything, so I hope you still like winter."

Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

5. - Top - End - #35

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post

The woman sniffles a little harder, wiping away the tears that well up in her eyes before glancing back towards Jen and nodding. After a moment of hesitation, she leans forward to close the gap between them, wrapping her savior in a tight embrace despite the aching in her arms that comes with it. She starts to sob, tears streaming down her bruised face as she cries for the first time in a very, very long while.

It takes Fidelia a couple minutes to get it all out of her system, her soft voice faltering a little as she chokes out the last couple of sobs and her grip slackens. "T-thank you... thank you so much..." she gasps out, her words a little faint after all of that. She doesn't break away, not completely, until she takes a deep but shaky breath, trying to collect herself a little. "I-I swear... I won't - I won't let you down, Jen." She reaffirms, wiping one last falling tear away from her reddened eyes.

Jeez, this is more than a little uncomfortable. Jen doesn't know the first thing about consoling anyone; that's why she just awkwardly asked about a hug a moment ago. Maybe it was the right thing to say, though, she doesn't know. It certainly seems to have had a strong impact on Fidelia, right? Jen feels it herself too, which is more than a little odd, because she thought she'd grown callous and largely unfeeling long ago. You have to, if you go from being an EMT seeing the infinite gamut of human suffering every day at work, to a ghoulish monster delivering that same suffering unto the criminal masses on a regular basis.

"Shh, I know, Fidelia, I know. You'll be the best sidekick or apprentice, o-or...or squire, or whatever we end up deciding on," she assures the vagrant her new partner, trying to comfort the girl by running fingers through her hair to tidy it up a little, even though it's probably a lost cause and completely hopeless until Fidelia can be introduced to the concept of regular bathing and proper hygiene later.

"Anyway, it's been a long night, so I'm going to bed. I'll leave the door open in case you need anything, and you'll have Romero here to protect you too. If anything's wrong, I don't care what it is, just wake me up and I'll be there for you. Could be gangsters at the door, could be the end of the world, could even be a bad dream you had. Just don't break anything or step on Romero by accident, alright? Good night, Fidelia," Jen pats her shoulder, before getting up and heading to her bedroom.

Ithuriel's Demiplane

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnrlshrimp View Post
    [Ithuriel's Demiplane]

It's cold here. It's the sort of cold and dark that really makes folks want to grab a blanket and huddle up by a campfire, maybe drink some hot mulled wine, that sort of thing. Fir trees form a solid ring around the little log cabin that is Ithuriel's home and, sure enough, there's the soft inviting crackle and whisp of smoke curling up from a lit campfire. The air is still, snow seeming to almost hang in the air as it slowly falls.

To Ithuriel, this cold permanent twilight is the most comforting place in the world. It's made even better for having Ambriel beside her. As the angel and the angel-like cyborg step through, she stretches a wing out around him, the portal closing behind them. "So, Ambriel, this is totally just me wanting to engage in some selfish fantasy, but I reckon I could use my awesome angel powers to regenerate your wings and make them nice and white and properly angel-y again. Also, uh, welcome back to my home. I haven't really done any redecorating since last time or anything, so I hope you still like winter."

"Will they stay fixed when I leave?" he asks with poorly concealed enthusiasm, completely on board with this wing repair idea, apparently. I think he's misunderstood and thinks she's just talking about an illusion or something, a set of fake imaginary wings to accompany the only-sorta-real reality of this place, which Ithuriel has total(?) control over.

Speaking of, the place looks great. Exactly as Ambriel remembered it, albeit a little chillier in person. The familiarity is nice. It's been a while since anything has ever been familiar, after the war with the Hegemony. Sleeping on the cold basement floor in Riverside safehouses instead of the MagCave we rejected, fighting with off-brand laser weapons and drones, coming to grips with his existence as a separate entity from Magtok, a unique human being...no, familiar is great. Familiar is safe, happy, and wonderful. Change has been nothing but pain and suffering and drama. There's little else in the world that Ambriel likes more than the familiar.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

A Hotel Room

Dory purses her lips and walks around her client, tapping her jawline with a free finger. "Right. So. Just one final question for you then. You lookin' just to have fun or get laid? I can do either for you." She says before setting the cat down gently and grinning, revealing her predatory teeth.

Thad's Apartment

The young man gives a sigh and pouts slightly at Vivi's threat. "Alas, the downside of having a...ah...I suppose you'd call it a Sugardaddy. Or whatever you'd call her equivalent." He admits before going back to his food and staying silent while the other two converse for the moment. Inwardly, he was truly glad to see that the "reveal" had gone over swimmingly. He hadn't thought that any of Vivi's picks would ever freak out over something like him liking other guys, or that he'd occasionally dress in girly clothing, but one never truly knew until it came up. But as it had gone so well, Thad was definitely more relaxed than he had when he'd met Lucy initially.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

A Hotel Room

Dory purses her lips and walks around her client, tapping her jawline with a free finger. "Right. So. Just one final question for you then. You lookin' just to have fun or get laid? I can do either for you." She says before setting the cat down gently and grinning, revealing her predatory teeth.
    [A Hotel Room]

Sam certainly seems surprised at the question. His eyes certainly go wide at the casual way Dory delivers it.
    "Well, you know I've never been one for casual...that. If you think you can help me find someone into blue pigs that sounds...I mean...I've been feeling pretty lonely. But I ain't expecting anything besides fun. But if anyone can find someone who actually finds me hot I guess it'd be you. I think that's something that no outfit's gonna change, though."
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Underground Racetrack]

"Full plate isn't as heavy as people make it out to be," Iknika says with a bit of a know-it-all expression. "But it is a knight's job to go and weather enemy blows so others don't have to. Like magicians."
    [Underground Racetrack]

Isaac smiles and pulls Iknika in for a quick side-hug.
    "And it's a magician's job to keep them from biting off more than they can chew. " he assures her, even as he stares up at the racing bugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    The figure pauses, stops biting the sword to look at Koshal and apparently listen to what he has to say.

From his expression, it seems like perhaps he doesn't speak Language. But he does start to return Koshal's gear.

Well.

He hurls the sword at the minotaur, point first.
    While screeching at the top of his lungs.
    That counts for something, right?
    [Countryside]

Koshal pulls the trigger on the bow, firing one large bolt, before he drops it so he can catch the sword as it tumbles through the air, unknowingly using some of his magic to guide the hilt to his hand.
    "I don't take kindly to being attacked." he says, and he begins advancing slowly.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

8. - Top - End - #38

Rainbow District Apartment

A small nod is all Fidelia musters in reply, forming a weak and rarely-given smile as Jen tries to comfort her. It helped, it really did... but still, the pain and the trauma of what happened had finally sunk in for the urchin, and it was hard for her to truly quash the fear and hurt she was feeling. There was another sniffle as the ghoul stroked her hair, her smile growing a little less weaker at the gesture. It was a little messy and tangled, and hadn't been washed in a few days (much less with shampoo), but it was cleaner than you might expect. There was only a little bit of dirt in her locks, and that was almost all from being shoved against the pavement by the bandanna boys earlier.

"O-ok, I will. Thank you." the vagrant nods in reply with an attempt at a reassuring smile, watching Jen leave to get some much-deserved rest before sliding down to lay on the couch, rolling over to lie on her stomach and pulling her legs close. She soon begins to sleep... but it's a fitful rest, and she wakes up a few hours later with soft whimpers and deliberately muffled sobs. Fidelia won't attempt to wake Jen though, forcing herself to endure and struggling to remain asleep until the next day dawns.

Caelynn's Hotel Room

"Well, here we are! It's not much, but it's home for now!" Caelynn proclaims as she turns the key of her door, welcoming Magtok into a small but relatively nice hotel room. It wasn't special, as far as rooms went. A nice and comfy looking bed sat in the middle, across from a smallish TV on a dresser. A small stack of books rests on the catgirl's nightstand, a couple heavy medical textbooks and two or three novels, and an unorganized spread of binders, pens and yesterday's newspaper obscured the surface of a small desk beside a large window.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

9. - Top - End - #39

[Ithuriel's Demiplane]

"Of course, Wings. I can't have you running around with dirty grey wings like that, can I?" Ithuriel tuts, poking at a few of his feathers. "I've tried to figure out the limits of what being an angel lets me do. I figure if I can mass cure people of addiction, I really ought to be able to replenish a few wing-feathers, right? Oh, yeah, funny story there - I had an argument with a truck in Inside, then I went to a raider camp and tried not to pick a fight with a wolf-lady...it was a fun trip."

You know Ithuriel, your ol' buddy Wings there is looking a little cold. Maybe you oughta do something about that?

"C'mon Wings, sit by the fire with me and I'll see what I can do." She takes his hand and leads him over to the campfire where a pot is already hanging over it - its rather fruity, faintly alcoholic-smelling liquid contents slowly simmering away. She dips a pair of mugs into the concoction and offers one to him, sitting down and patting the space beside her.

The faint golden glow that surrounds her is already starting to grow in size, steadily washing over more of the campsite, inducing warm, comforting thoughts to compliment the warmth of the fire. It would seem that Ithuriel has got much further with understanding her angelic powers since Ambriel last saw her. It's still a relatively subtle effect, like that little feeling of comfort that runs through someone when they wrap themselves in a nice warm towel after a bath - just a persistent little something to make Ambriel feel that little bit more at ease.
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

10. - Top - End - #40

[Trick or Treating]

Khannie's expression instantly lights up at the mention of fighting horrible monsters.

"Oh wow that sounds really cool!" she cheers, a huge grin spreading across her face. "Is your mom an adventurer? My dad's an adventurer, but I don't think he's ever killed a giant flea before. Probably just little ones."

Little fleas are still absolutely terrible.

Khannie hates them.

"Do you wanna walk with me? I'm dressed as an adventurer and you guys are monsters so that makes sense."

Khannie, costumes don't need to match for people to associate with each other. That isn't a requirement.

"That house over there looks cool," she says, pointing at another garishly decorated home just down the street.

Or... maybe not quite just down the street. Spatial relations can be pretty iffy when it comes to trick or treating. There's no telling what house they might be knocking on.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

11. - Top - End - #41

Caelynn's Hotel Room

The cyborg studies the hotel room intensely, analyzing it from every angle. The height of the bed, the size of the windows, the sound the wall makes when he raps his knuckles against it, everything. Hold on, what's he doing, exactly? Wasn't the whole point of coming back here...well, there's only so much I can say without violating forum rules, but weren't his intentions very explicitly not this?

"Nothing solid that could be used for cover in a firefight, though I suppose you could duck behind the bed and hope you haven't been spotted yet, if someone broke in. Maybe hide in the bathroom with a knife, except I don't think you own a big enough knife. Only one door in and out, and the hinges don't look sturdy enough to keep out a sufficiently huge and muscular thug, or an adequately prepared spellcaster, but there's a window...What floor are we on again? Third, fourth? Using your tail for balance and leverage, maybe you could break into the window of whoever's next door, but you'd probably fall and break your hip," he frowns, shaking his head. This won't do, none of this will do. This is the sort of hotel room you offer to people who've never gotten into a single fight, and never expect to do so for their entire lives. Awful. How can Caelynn live like this, knowing there are so many other people in this hotel, and each and every one of them could be a murderous psycho rapist serial killer?

"Caelynn, your room is awful. Don't go making enemies. Don't be seen with me by my enemies. Skip the Halloween party thish year," Magtok orders, a hand moving to his mouth when it betrays him and slurs a single word. Drat, he'd been doing such a good job of concealing any sign of inebriation, of maintaining decorum and dignity and control up until now. Accursed alcohol, biding its time for so long before finally defying him and his wishes like this.

"Alexis and her dad and like sixteen different major villains will probably be there, anyway. I'll take you out on Thanksmas instead," he promises without thinking, without even considering the potential consequences such a promise could carry later on. Mag then takes a step back, deliberately tripping backwards onto her bed with a pomf! He adjusts his head slightly, as if trying to burrow it into the mattress, and shifts about uncertainly, before sitting upright and giving the bed a look of begrudging approval. "...Okay, the room's not a complete disaster. The bed's pretty great, and so's the hot doctor mom who sleeps on it. Seven point eight out of ten, too much water."

Ithuriel's Demiplane

Ambriel takes a seat beside the angel, and then sidles up closer to her. He lifts up his arm, thinks about wrapping it around her, and then reconsiders. Nope, going to take her arm instead, and wrap it around himself. She's like six feet tall, and with her wings in the way, we probably wouldn't make it halfway around her back. Once properly situated, he accepts the beverage Ithuriel offers, takes a small sip, and then blinks and shakes his head. Wait, what did she say just a moment ago?

"Hold on, hold on, go back to the part where you said you can just mass-cure addictions. How does that work? Can you just walk right into a casino, spin a finger in the air, and convince everyone to stop wasting their retirement funds? Go to rehab and just make everyone quit their drug of choice, completely cold turkey? I don't have any addictions, but gods forbid I did, you could just glow real bright, call the holy energies of goodness into your voice, and command me with a voice like a choir of cherubs to never crave another hit of cocaine or tobacco or the spice from Dune ever again?" Really, Ambriel? This is the thing that surprises you? The magical demiplane she has control over is fine, the regeneration powers are totally understandable, and you don't even bat an eye when she says she got into a tussle with a truck and had to sort out some raiders, but rendering rehab clinics obsolete, that's the only thing that demands an explanation?
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson

12. - Top - End - #42

Caelynn's Hotel Room

The catgirl watches with some befuddlement as Magtok goes about assessing her room, tilting her head as she leans against the doorframe - or more accurately, as she slightly misses, stumbles, and corrects her positioning with a quick glance to make sure the cyborg didn't see any of that. A thorough analysis comes just before Caelynn can begin to ask what in the world he's up to, her ears perking up to catch as much as possible; she wasn't quite sure why he was on about her ability to defend herself, but it seemed important to him so it was probably worth listening to.

"Oh - okay. I can accept those terms." Sounded like a fair deal. Don't give him cause to fear for her safety, and he'll promise to make it up to her. Caelynn planned to hold him to those terms though; she was kind of looking forward to attending the Halloween party, it's been so long since she got to dress up for one. The holiday didn't really exist where she had been for the past decade and a half or so.

"Do no harm wasn't part of my hippo... hippocritic... uh, my Hippocratic oath, if it makes you feel any better." Any further struggle to pronounce a word she would normally nail or continuation on that train of thought is cut short however, as the bed assessment provokes a tiny fit of giggles. "Do you want me to make it more comfortable for you?" Caelynn asks, shutting the door and slipping over before sitting down with as much grace as can be expected of a tipsy catgirl, wrapping her arms around him and giving him an adoring little smirk.
    Last edited by Arkhosia; 2018-10-14 at 01:43 AM.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

13. - Top - End - #43

Caelynn's Hotel Room

"Hey now, you didn't even wait for the patient to give you an answer. What kind of informed consent is that, doc?" Magtok feigns outrage in a manner so obviously, transparently phony that Caelynn would still see right through it if she'd had twice as much to drink. I mean, if he was genuinely concerned about the lack of paperwork to sign and a rigorous discussion of his symptoms and treatment options, he probably wouldn't be trying to push her down onto the bed and press his lips against hers, right?

"Did I ever tell you one of the other clones was a physician once? Worked in a hospital right here in inside. Not the most knowledgeable about magical maladies, but he had the best bedside manner. Let me show you," Magtok smirks, reaching for the curtain and wordlessly cheering over his latest stupid joke. Gods, he'd been waiting to make a dumb 'bedside manner' gag since forever. The moment Caelynn mentioned the clinic, he knew he had to do this. He wouldn't be able to live with himself if he let that one slide, no matter how bad the joke wound up sounding, no matter if it got him kicked out of bed and thrown out of the hotel. This was the hill he'd decided to die on, and he wasn't going to let it go for anything in the world.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

14. - Top - End - #44

Caelynn's Hotel Room

"Ugh, you're lucky I adore you so much, or I'd ask you to die in a fire." is all the catgirl retorts with as Magtok presses up against her, a soft smile betraying an otherwise chiding look... before her partner presses on and the curtain is pulled.

- - -

As the next morning dawns, the daylight streaming through the curtains and onto the resting pair, Caelynn groans, snuggling up against the cyborg groggily. "Ugh... dun wanna get up... Cenia can open it just fine...." she mumbles to herself, nuzzling against Magtok in an attempt to escape the glare of the sun and pulling the covers tighter around them.
    Last edited by Arkhosia; 2018-10-14 at 04:11 AM.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

15. - Top - End - #45

Caelynn's Hotel Room

Oh gods, this was a mistake. It wasn't just any old mistake, though. No, this was the worst mistake. The biggest mistake. This was the blunder to end all blunders. That's the first thing our cyborg thinks, anyway, when Caelynn's snuggling and moving the sheets about finally stirs him from his slumber, and callously draws him back into the land of the living and hungover.

"Mmph," the very articulate and well-spoken cyborg so eloquently answers Caelynn. No idea who Cenia is, but we've got bigger problems than that. The events of last night replay themselves in Magtok's mind, every minute captured in embarrassingly meticulous and explicit detail. One of the cruel disadvantages of being a cyborg who deliberately designed his own brain so he'd be able to do that to himself, I suppose. Gods, is his sense of humor really that bad when he's drunk? Are Caelynn's standards that low? Did he genuinely believe he'd be able to keep any of the promises he was making? How are we going to be able to go back to saying 'it was just a one night thing' after everything we said to the contrary? Why Caelynn, of all people? Surely there's other women out there who'd like us and don't have the same drama and complications and ugly history that she does.

"Blagh," he manages a few minutes later. Realizing that it's morning now and he really must be waking up and getting out of bed, he gets started on that laborious process right away. Yes, whereas a few minutes before before, he was lying in bed and had a Caelynn snuggled up against him, now he's lying in bed and has a Caelynn snuggled up against him, but his leg is an inch or so to the left. Progress!

Gods, why does she have to be so soft and comfortable? Why does talking to her have to be so easy? Why is getting a hug from her as simple as asking for one? Why didn't he just tell her to go away the minute he saw her? He doesn't need the drama this is obviously going to lead to in his life. His own home is at war with him, his people refuse to offer any kind of support, and a deranged Nazi is docking his pay every time he looks at someone funny. Magtok has enough stress in his life right now, Caelynn. Why did you have to come back and potentially make everything worse?

"Hey, it's morning. I'm going to need my arms, chest, and everything else back soon. No rush or anything, I don't have to be anywhere in a hurry, just whenever you're ready is good," he explains, before shaking his head in self-repudiation. This kind of talk is exactly the problem, Magtok! You have to knowingly and deliberately hurt her feelings if you're ever going to escape, Magtok. You have to roll out of the bed, grab your clothes, and leave her here. I know you don't like it when other people don't like you, but the longer you wait, the more it'll hurt when you eventually rip the bandage off. Walk out on her now, Magtok. It's the only way.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

[Underground Racetrack]

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    Isaac smiles and pulls Iknika in for a quick side-hug.
    "And it's a magician's job to keep them from biting off more than they can chew. " he assures her, even as he stares up at the racing bugs.
    "I'm sure you'll do a fine job of that," Iknika says, scooting over closer to him. Meanwhile, the race ends... and unfortunately, Iknika's favorite beetle doesn't win. "Aww. I guess sometimes persistence doesn't pay off."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

A Hotel Room

Dory frowns at his question before setting her hand on her hip and clicking her tongue. "Okay, see, here's a bit of advice. For free even and that'd make my coworkers ask if I was crazy. Sam, ain't nothing I can do is going to make you hot." She admits before holding up a finger to keep him from speaking. "Being hot ain't just about appearance. You gotta have the attitude and confidence to go with it. There are people who look like a rotting corpse who get the girls and boys because they have the charisma and force of personality to get that for them. Well, that and there are just people who are just... freaky like that. But really, I could make you look like the next Fabio but that's only the foot in the door. You wanna be hot? Stop thinking of yourself as a blue pig and start thinking of yourself as the burly hunk o' man meat you wanna be."

18. - Top - End - #48
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Countryside]

Koshal pulls the trigger on the bow, firing one large bolt, before he drops it so he can catch the sword as it tumbles through the air, unknowingly using some of his magic to guide the hilt to his hand.
    "I don't take kindly to being attacked." he says, and he begins advancing slowly.
    The bolt zips past the hurled sword and catches the thief right in the chest, knocking him over backwards and out of the tree.

Between the bolt-hole and all the blood soaking into it, you may have just messed up your own shirt, Koshal.

The thief sprints back to his feet as if he didn't even notice getting shot, and shouts wordlessly at Koshal, his fingers lengthening into claws. That was a surprise! He doesn't like surprises!
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

[Underground Racetrack]
    "I'm sure you'll do a fine job of that," Iknika says, scooting over closer to him. Meanwhile, the race ends... and unfortunately, Iknika's favorite beetle doesn't win. "Aww. I guess sometimes persistence doesn't pay off."
    [Underground Racetrack]

Isaac laughs.
    "Well, we're here now, aren't we? I'd say persistence paid off that time." he says with a wink.
    A Hotel Room

Dory frowns at his question before setting her hand on her hip and clicking her tongue. "Okay, see, here's a bit of advice. For free even and that'd make my coworkers ask if I was crazy. Sam, ain't nothing I can do is going to make you hot." She admits before holding up a finger to keep him from speaking. "Being hot ain't just about appearance. You gotta have the attitude and confidence to go with it. There are people who look like a rotting corpse who get the girls and boys because they have the charisma and force of personality to get that for them. Well, that and there are just people who are just... freaky like that. But really, I could make you look like the next Fabio but that's only the foot in the door. You wanna be hot? Stop thinking of yourself as a blue pig and start thinking of yourself as the burly hunk o' man meat you wanna be."
    [A Hotel Room]

Sam sighs, twiddling his four thumbs.
    "I mean...yeah I know that. But I mean, I don't know if I can. I'm not after just...getting a girl. That seems shallow. But strutting around acting like I'm somethin' else ain't what I think I can do. But I guess that makes your question easy, doesn't it?" mutters Sam, not making eye contact.

[Countryside]

Koshal's not too worried about the shirt. They can be fixed.
    Koshal silently stands there, holding his sword at the ready. He doesn't make the first move, ready to rely on his far superior reach.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nova_Eclipse View Post

Electra nods and smiles at Cass.

"Well, we probably wouldn't have started working for MERC if we were adverse to adventure. The profession does call for some audacity, after all." She grins at Fayyaad. "Is there any particular area of the Nexus that appeals to you as far as a place you'd like to have a home?"

"I admit I'm more of an urban type," Fayyaad says, leaning back and thinking. His tail sways slowly behind him. "I grew up in a bustling city and I prefer to be close to where things are happening... which means a city. And it does admittedly make the prospect of taking over a tower or castle less likely. They frown on this kind of thing in the cities."

"You might not get a whole tower but a loft apartment would have a nice enough view." Cass can't really recommend much for cities, though. Skyside's a trash-hole, Riverside keeps getting invaded, Inside is... weird.

She raises a hand, lazily floating another log on to the fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

[Underground Racetrack]

Iknika grins.

"It did. I'm glad I didn't scare you away by swinging an axe."

She leans up to kiss Isaac on the cheek... and nip on it with her teeth once she's done.

22. - Top - End - #52

[Ithuriel's Demiplane]

The angel gives Ambriel a light squeeze with the arm he's wrapped around him, holding him nice and close. How thoughtful of him! She sighs contentedly and takes a sip from her own mug. "I can heal to a certain degree and I can affect people's attitudes, their moods to a certain degree. It was something like a dozen people and it basically wiped me out for the day, but through one avenue I can ease away that burning need from their minds and through the other I can heal them physically so their body doesn't make them crave it again. It's very taxing and this was something obvious - drug addiction. I've no idea if it would work on a bunch of people in a casino, and I can't see myself making much of a dent in their numbers if I can clear all of about two poker tables a day." Don't worry Ambriel, the rehab clinics are safe!

Anyway, time to focus. Ithuriel keeps her eyes closed and focuses her aura, letting the waves of golden light wash over Ambriel and pool around him. She takes deep, slow breaths, mumbling quietly to herself as what healing she has at her disposal is focused in to renew and replenish the feathers in Ambriel's wings. There's no need to make a statement here, no need to show off even if she kind of wants to, so she takes her time. If all goes well, when she opens her eyes a few minutes later, Ambriel will find himself fully stocked with pearly white feathers on his wings once more.

23. - Top - End - #53

Caelynn's Hotel Room

"Mm, you sure you don't wanna just... stay here a little while longer?" Caelynn asks, snuggling up against him affectionately with half-opened eyes. The metal frame of his form is a little cold and unwelcoming to the touch, but it doesn't deter her; and while it might only be coming from half of what she's cuddling, that lovely sensation of her partner's body warmth more than makes up for it.

Unlike Magtok, the catgirl doesn't need an instant replay or a minute to recall all the events of last night. The most she needed was a brief moment to remind herself that no, she didn't need to get up and go down to open up the clinic today. She didn't have anything to look back on with regrets or cringe at any terrible jokes. Nothing needed to be reneged upon, nothing felt like a spur of the moment comment that would have disastrous consequences in the future. She was blissfully unaware of Magtok's own woes, and had very little of them that she was plagued with herself.

"I like this. Being close to you. It's comfy. Safe. Just being by your side like this... I don't think I ever want to leave it." Punctuating her affections with a gentle squeeze, Caelynn sleepily leans a forward to try and plant a soft kiss on Magtok's cheek, shivering a little at the touch - it's most definitely the left, chromed one - before pulling back to gaze at him affectionately, merely content to just lie next to him and bask in the closeness between them.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

24. - Top - End - #54

NinjaGuy

Electra seems to be of the same mind as Cass as far as that goes.

"It seems to me that the cities aren't terribly stable, though. Inside's probably most stable right now, and even then, things disappear and appear there all the time. Riverside keeps getting invaded by different factions, and if anyone in Skyside finds out you're affiliated with MERC, they'll be knocking down your door trying to kill you. Not sure the view is worth that," She comments, then finishes off her s'more and takes another nip of the schnapps. "Though if you liken paranoia to excitement, then there's probably little that can compare."
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

25. - Top - End - #55

Ithuriel's Demiplane

"So that was healing one person. If a dozen is enough to finish you, that amounts to...I guess a light jog?" Ambriel asks, before unfolding the wing farther from Ithuriel, the one that won't smack her in the arm if he tries to bring it in front of his face to admire her magical handiwork.

"You didn't heal eleven other people before we got here, right? You're not going to make me look ridiculous trying to carry you to your bed in the cabin?" Ambriel, don't go giving her ideas. Just accept the new wings graciously and shut your mouth before you say something she can use against you. Oh, and say 'thank you' next post, would you? You've been letting those wings fall apart over the course of five years, and she just magicked them back to brand new just like that. The least you could do is say those two magic words, buddy.

Caelynn's Hotel Room

"It's nice," Magtok reluctantly concedes, before turning to face her, losing himself in those gorgeous violet eyes for a minute or so. It isn't long before he remembers what he was going to say next, however, and it probably isn't anything good, since the look on his face is the sort of look a parent wears when they're about to tell their youngest child that Lulu, the family dog, is moving to the farm upstate and won't be coming back ever again.

"Caelynn, I don't know how long we'll be able to get away with this. If I don't ruin this myself, one of my enemies will, or I'll just die and the next Magtok won't have any of my memories. I like this, and I like you, which I find surprising as all hell given our past, but the Nexus always breaks or takes away the things I like. I don't know how to deal with that. I don't know if I should tell you to go away, to leave forever, or hold you close for as long as I can. I don't know, Caelynn. I don't know anything," he confesses, holding her close. Whether or not it's what he should do, staying here seems to be the choice he's decided upon, for now. Maybe that's just because it's the easiest choice, the one that doesn't demand anything of him, the option to just lie there and do absolutely nothing. It's certainly not as permanent and irreversible as walking away would be. Committing to holding on to this moment is no real commitment at all.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

26. - Top - End - #56

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [Trick or Treating]

Khannie's expression instantly lights up at the mention of fighting horrible monsters.

"Oh wow that sounds really cool!" she cheers, a huge grin spreading across her face. "Is your mom an adventurer? My dad's an adventurer, but I don't think he's ever killed a giant flea before. Probably just little ones."

Little fleas are still absolutely terrible.

Khannie hates them.

"Do you wanna walk with me? I'm dressed as an adventurer and you guys are monsters so that makes sense."

Khannie, costumes don't need to match for people to associate with each other. That isn't a requirement.

"That house over there looks cool," she says, pointing at another garishly decorated home just down the street.

Or... maybe not quite just down the street. Spatial relations can be pretty iffy when it comes to trick or treating. There's no telling what house they might be knocking on.
    Trick or Treating (houses wanted)

Our mum is a hammerdwarf and a crossbowdwarf an' she sometimes has to go into the caverns and clear 'em out so they can harvest all the silk down there. Olon tells Khannie. She's the best at it in the whole fort! Endok adds. They confer for a second or so when Khannie asks about grouping up.

Alright but you have to be a giant adventurer cause Tuxxu and Genad were both huge so it wouldn't make sense otherwise. Olon decides, and they follow Khannie to the house pointed out.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Countryside]

Koshal's not too worried about the shirt. They can be fixed.
    Koshal silently stands there, holding his sword at the ready. He doesn't make the first move, ready to rely on his far superior reach.
    Oh no! Koshal isn't getting scared off! What do?

Flee!
    After a moment of bafflement, the fellow turns around and runs into the woods, a little unsteady.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

A Hotel Room

Dory gives a small nod, as if having expected such an answer out of him, but she snaps her fingers and within the blink of an eye Sam's attire changes. He gains a mullet, a certain outfit, and a rather large boot knife. "There. Welcome to The Porkchop Express. Remember dear, it is all in the reflexes." She says with a grin before hopping up on his back to set her chin on his shoulder. "Oh, and one other thing before I go that'll get you all fired up and chuggin' along?" She leans forward, still grinning, and whispers into his ear.

"That elfy roommate of yours? Alex-something-or-other? She's not completely dead."

"See you at the party. Toodles!"
    She shouts before vanishing, her fanged grin the last to go.

29. - Top - End - #59

[Ithuriel's Demiplane]

"Carry me?" Ithuriel laughs. That's funny. You're funny, Ambriel!

Wait, that was maybe a bit too harsh. Better fixit quick.

Solution: Pick Ambriel up instead and sit him down on her lap. "Sorry Wings, I'm afraid you're just going to have to accept that, whatever state I'm in, I'll always be the one doing the carrying. Hope that's not too much of a disappointment." She chuckles, reaching out to stroke his newly restored wings. They look so much better now! "They're probably going to fade again in time though, so you might have to come back for the occasional top-up. All part of my cunning plan to ensnare you here forevermore." If memory serves correct, the somewhat possessive comments were what spooked Ambriel a little bit previously, but she just can't help herself. "As for right now, don't worry. You can't wear me out that easily." And that's a very curtainous expression she has on her face now.

30. - Top - End - #60

Thad's Apartment

"Oh my, dear, whatever do you mean?" Vivi asks, not even moving when she's poked, instead turning those luscious eyes on Lucy again. "I'm as humble as a bumblebee. Most of the time. You and my young man here are just a terrible influence. Just look at how you're drinking!"

"While I have my guesses, darling, I think I'll reserve them for fear of conjuring wild and unwholesome fantasies for myself," She smirks, dabbing at one side of her mouth with a napkin.

"And what is a sugardaddy?" She looks at Thad. "Is that what Sarcadian is to you?" Oh my, her eyes almost seem to dance with wickedness.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters