New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Hilarious Ways to mess with your players.

Show your righteous do-gooder party a good fiend. Watch their heads 'asplode.'
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

2. - Top - End - #122
    Orc in the Playground

poisonous oatmeal
    You wouldn't happen to be an animorphs fan, would you?
    Spoiler
    Show

No I did not make my own banner, it was created by a very talented person who I've lost contact with.

I just started playing D&D, and love the game

Spoiler
    Show
    First level paladin.
    STR:14
    DEX: 8
    CON: 10
    INT:13
    WIS: 12
    CHA: 16

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by newBlazingAngel View Post
    You wouldn't happen to be an animorphs fan, would you?
    No, sorry, just thought that Drow-Poisoned [insert food to my right] would be a good kicker. Should I be?
    \A/ Why play fair when you can "Technically" play fair. \A/
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ah say ah canno' jump, ya' jus' 'ave ta' toss meh!

4. - Top - End - #124
    Bugbear in the Playground

One of the "weapons" used against the invading aliens was oatmeal.
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White

5. - Top - End - #125

Quote Originally Posted by runeghost View Post
    "Where's Bob?"
    "Back in the last room, with his head cut off."
    "He didn't rez?"
    "Nope."
    Players slowly realize how screwed they are...
    I was once a player in a 3.5e Tomb of Horrors game. The DM felt that expectation of "disposable characters" from earlier editions wouldn't mesh too well with the players' 3.5-inspired expectations - but on the other hand he didn't want to water-down such an iconic dungeon.

Warning: a couple of small ToH spoilers:

Spoiler
    Show
    The solution was to put in a magical fountain near the entrance which would give free ressurections for as little as 1gp.
    We didn't trust it (for obvious reasons) but the party rogue stole all the gold out of it and we pressed on into the dungeon.
    When the party wizard got killed by a fireball-trapped altar we decided we had nothing to lose (apart from maybe the wizard, who was in no position to object) so we thought we'd give it a try.
    The wizard duly came back to life with no apparent side-effects but we still didn't trust the fountain and decided to catch a few hapless frogs from the nearby swamp to experiment with the parameters of the fountain.
    We found that:
    1) The fountain would only ressurect creatures that died in the Tomb, explaining why people weren't flocking to this place from across the land.
    2) Creatures ressurected by the fountain would dissolve into a puddle of black slime if their payment was later removed from the fountain, meaning that the rogue had killed hundreds (possibly thousands) of people when he tooks all the gold out of the fountain before and that the wizard would have the threat of the same fate looming over him for the rest of his life.

So we had unlimited ressurections for negligible cost but no-one wanted to use them. We did have to use one though, when the rogue fell victim to a green-slime tapestry.

And then once we beat the fake-Acererak at the bottom of the tomb we found a copy of the deal that Acererak had made with friggin' Asmodeus to make that fountain. And the small print did indeed include a software-EULA-style clause stating that my using the magical ressurection fountain you were implicitly acception the terms of use for the magical ressurection fountain... and there were a few T&Cs that our expirementation with frogs hadn't revealed.
    If a tree falls in the forest and the PCs aren't around to hear it... what do I roll to see how loud it is?

Is 3.5 a fried-egg, chili-chutney sandwich?

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Hilarious Ways to mess with your players.

I was DMing a personal "update to 3.5" of the OD&D module B3:"Palace of the Silver Princess"

For who don't know, everyone inside the castle is petrified, and a strange, red glowing magic corrupted everything, and attracted monsters.

They worked well their way up trough the first level, and climbed up, finding the Doppleganger that is impersonating the High Mage of the Palace. It bluffed away well, expecially because no-one dubted him. He decided to go with'em "to help". Noone fizzled when, during a fight, he said some mumbo-jumbo, made his hand dark and clawed and fighted in front line. He said it was an ancient spell and that he doesn't want to use more "explosive" spell not to damage the place.

They enter in a room, with a fireplace in the end of the room. The Maug of the group (who FINALLY ended te HD+LA and was completed) decided to toss an eye inside. It was invested by flames. A Ibrandlin came out of the fireplace and... well, the Maug died.

It was a construct, so, end of the story.

BUT then, a lamp turned on in my mind.

The "High Mage" examinated the rests and said something about a memory stone that allow to rebuild the poor guy. He made all the group (and the 2 infiltred thief..I've said that there were 2 of them? 2 poor damisel in distress?) to transport all the rests to another room. He said that he would stay there until he finished.

In real, cigarette pause. I take the Maug player by a side and said to him the truth: he will play the doppleganger and he will try to kill everyone else at the first good chance.

When we restarted, it arrived the "Maug", only smaller (medium size), saying something about that part of the material was damaged too much, and that "the Good High Mage" had to reshape him smaller. The Mage? Oh, was sleeping to stay better.

They go on.... but are depleted of hp. They decide to go to sleep.

The player look to me, and nod. He was always the one on guard, beeing a construct and not needing to sleep.

I start from a random player, and I said "make a listen check". He fails.
    Then one of the NPC. She fails.

The second, pass. And open his eyes. And he see a 2 handed sword fall on his head. Roll away. Wake everyone with a scream. Destroy the Maug...and found a player dead, and one of the thief dead.

Investigation trough the palace... found the petrified body of the archmage.

They hated me soo much. But...they also remember very well that game, and we joke again on it.

From then up to now...they are MORE diffident on the NPC.
    I'm from Italy. So,sorry for my bad English!

Thanks A LOT to Nevitan for the fantastic Avatar!

7. - Top - End - #127
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Random NPC View Post
    One of the "weapons" used against the invading aliens was oatmeal.
    The aliens are biologically driven insane by instant maple and ginger oatmeal. No other kind, just the instant maple and ginger. And that's only one of the worse books.
    Spoiler
    Show

No I did not make my own banner, it was created by a very talented person who I've lost contact with.

Spoiler
    Show
    First level paladin.

8. - Top - End - #128

Ooh! I just had an idea that would seriously mess some players up, especially if you're the kind of DM who frequently uses "Creepy cute little girls that always turn out to be the villain or who turn on the party".

It only works, however, after they get so used to it that they automatically assume that ALL little girls are villains.

Once, then, they are sent on a creepy quest or are sent by a local leader down an evil cultist hideout, or something.

There, about halfway through, they meet an injured cute little girl, in the act of hiding (and she failed her hide check).

The players, obviously, will now assume that the cute little girl is the head villain.

After they complete the quest, and return to the village, a desperate woman runs up to them and asks, "Have you guys seen my little daughter? She was lost/captured/mysteriously disappeared a few days ago!"

Cue the adventurers having to return to the eerie crypt/cultist hideout just to find the little girl.

Then, after that, they'll always wonder if the cute little girls really are evil villains in disguise, or if they're actually cute little girls. Et...voila! You can use creepy little girl villains again.

9. - Top - End - #129

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mahonri Violist View Post
    It only works, however, after they get so used to it that they automatically assume that ALL little girls are villains.
    Ugh. My players are so jaded; I had them run into a cute little girl once, and they almost violated causality trying to kill her. Appearently my concept of "adorable" is the same as their concept of "creepy and obviously evil."

In all fairness, when they had met her in the future she was a villain, but they didn't know that then.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    Ugh. My players are so jaded; I had them run into a cute little girl once, and they almost violated causality trying to kill her. Appearently my concept of "adorable" is the same as their concept of "creepy and obviously evil."

In all fairness, when they had met her in the future she was a villain, but they didn't know that then.
    Did they make her evil?
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

11. - Top - End - #131

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Did they make her evil?
    Sort of? She had a pro-Evil upbringing, though she was nice at the time, but they a) introduced her to her husband the future BBEG and b) basically abandoned her (a 12 year old girl) in the wilderness of another planet. So definitely not the sole cause, but a huge push in that direction.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    Sort of? She had a pro-Evil upbringing, though she was nice at the time, but they a) introduced her to her husband the future BBEG and b) basically abandoned her (a 12 year old girl) in the wilderness of another planet. So definitely not the sole cause, but a huge push in that direction.
    On the rare occasion that it happens, it's nice when the players unwittingly cooperate.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

In one campaign, the first quest was a fetch quest into a random cave. In the cave, having found the item, they were accosted by a small stone which demanded to be skipped. One of them did. They were teleported to a Chaotic plane. There the campaign became something between a series of bad jokes and survival horror.

I keep trying to force them to think outside the box, though most of the time they just ran. In the end they meet back up with the stone (now a giant whirlwind dervish monster) who they fought. They got the idea that by killing themselves, they would defeat the monster.

It was not what I had planned, but I went with it, because its just great when the whole party commits seppuku to defeat the BBEG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    Kill a PC's father? Well that's just the cost of doing business.
    Steal a PC's boots? Now it's personal.
    Please take everything I say with a grain of salt. Unless we're arguing about alignment. In which case, you're wrong.

Former EMPIRE2! Player: Imperator of the Nihoni Dominion
    Former EMPIRE3! Player: Suzerain of the Phœnīx Estates
    Former EMPIRE4! Player: Margrave of the Margraviate of Rhune
    My Awesome Campaign Setting

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

I set random squares all over a room to click when you stepped on them. Every time somebody stepped on them they would here a noise as if stone grinding on itself. The entire room.was covered in a darkness spell so noone could see .anything. They spent alot of time trykng to find all the trapped squares until they just heard a non stop grinding and a clicking noise. they ran across the room as the clicki ng got louder and faster. wheb they finally reached the end of the room they stepped on a square and the room brightened. it was just a square room. all the trapped squares did was activate ghost sounds.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Firbolg in the Playground

I still remember my first Call of Cthulhu game, where I played a smuggler called Johnson who was, perhaps, the most ridiculously amoral individual to walk the planet. He'd survived through the entire campaign this far by putting capitalistic self interest above such things as morality or sanity. Run into a murder cult ritually sacrificing people? Burn their house down from outside, steal their cars. Teammate dabbling in the occult? Fund him and protect him in exchange for a cut of whatever he learned. Ancient lizard-thing manipulating a young naive victim with dosages of a strange otherworldly drug? Strike a deal with it and start your own drugs trade.

He just did not care that he was utterly insignificant in the face of the universe, because he could still make money in the meantime and enjoy himself. By the relevant point, he owned perhaps a quarter of the international smuggling business and was easily a multi-millionaire. Because hey, if strange old men or mysterious figures are going to pay me a lot of money to ship strange artifacts past customs, who am I to say no?

Anyway, eventually, through various shennanigans our group encountered the avatar of Nylarathotep. Who, being the cosmic bastard that he was, declared that he was basically going to ruin the things we cared most for in life, pretty much for giggles. Everyone else is panicking, but Johnson is surprisingly calm - after all, he only cares about money. Did Nylarathotep steal my savings, or collapse my empire? The GM scoffed at this. Please, he said, remember what you're dealing with. Then he reminded us of the in-game date.

It was early 1929, as it turned out. The GM, via Nylarathotep, caused the Great Depression just to screw with me. I have never enjoyed a game quite so much.

Naturally, Johnson eventually decided that screw this, no one robbed him quite like that. So he called on everything he'd ever learned, conducted a great and dark ritual, and bargained for nameless things beyond to turn himself into the preliminary stages of a god-thing. His eventual intended goal was to get a new form of power, and put himself beyond the reach of even the Crawling Chaos' meddlings.

As it turned out, this was exactly what Nylarathotep wanted me to do. He rocks up out of nowhere, reveals that he has actually been the mysterious benefactor behind a few of my better dealings, and enacts a fail safe built into the rituals in order to turn me into his loyal semi-mortal servant. I very nearly doom the entire world before one of my former teammates rallies all my various enemies and has me sealed away in a bottle under Antarctica.

As it turns out, trying to outwit the Crawling Chaos doesn't really work. Fun to try though.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Maugan Ra View Post
    I still remember my first Call of Cthulhu game, where I played a smuggler called Johnson who was, perhaps, the most ridiculously amoral individual to walk the planet. He'd survived through the entire campaign this far by putting capitalistic self interest above such things as morality or sanity. Run into a murder cult ritually sacrificing people? Burn their house down from outside, steal their cars. Teammate dabbling in the occult? Fund him and protect him in exchange for a cut of whatever he learned. Ancient lizard-thing manipulating a young naive victim with dosages of a strange otherworldly drug? Strike a deal with it and start your own drugs trade.

He just did not care that he was utterly insignificant in the face of the universe, because he could still make money in the meantime and enjoy himself. By the relevant point, he owned perhaps a quarter of the international smuggling business and was easily a multi-millionaire. Because hey, if strange old men or mysterious figures are going to pay me a lot of money to ship strange artifacts past customs, who am I to say no?

Anyway, eventually, through various shennanigans our group encountered the avatar of Nylarathotep. Who, being the cosmic bastard that he was, declared that he was basically going to ruin the things we cared most for in life, pretty much for giggles. Everyone else is panicking, but Johnson is surprisingly calm - after all, he only cares about money. Did Nylarathotep steal my savings, or collapse my empire? The GM scoffed at this. Please, he said, remember what you're dealing with. Then he reminded us of the in-game date.

It was early 1929, as it turned out. The GM, via Nylarathotep, caused the Great Depression just to screw with me. I have never enjoyed a game quite so much.

Naturally, Johnson eventually decided that screw this, no one robbed him quite like that. So he called on everything he'd ever learned, conducted a great and dark ritual, and bargained for nameless things beyond to turn himself into the preliminary stages of a god-thing. His eventual intended goal was to get a new form of power, and put himself beyond the reach of even the Crawling Chaos' meddlings.

As it turned out, this was exactly what Nylarathotep wanted me to do. He rocks up out of nowhere, reveals that he has actually been the mysterious benefactor behind a few of my better dealings, and enacts a fail safe built into the rituals in order to turn me into his loyal semi-mortal servant. I very nearly doom the entire world before one of my former teammates rallies all my various enemies and has me sealed away in a bottle under Antarctica.

As it turns out, trying to outwit the Crawling Chaos doesn't really work. Fun to try though.

I.... have no words....... for the awsome........ *squeak*
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2012-08-05 at 01:43 AM.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #137
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cealocanth View Post
    There's not only the four separate fights, but each fight is given a location in space/time that is relative to the other fights, as if the each encounter lines the inside of a hollowed out box. Each fight contains elements of third dimensional gameplay, such as height or depth below a certain point, but the only way to travel between these fights is to move ana or kata to their relative location inside this hyper-hollow box. I'd say that's about as close to fourth dimensional gameplay I can get without some serious overhaul of the combat rules.
    Did the PCs end up reversing themselves during this process? I understand that's a risk of moving in four-space.

Also, one thing I did to mess with my players:
    I had the PCs mistakenly replace a mayor of a small town with a doppelganger. The plan was perfect, and worked without a hitch, which was surprising given my reputation for twisting plots.
    So.
    The doppelganger had started by making a deal with one of the mayor's staff, who didn't have a name, but we will call him "Fred" to avoid confusion.
    The doppelganger provided Fred with daily doses of drugs to put into the mayor's food, which would ake him forgetful and impatient. This seemed odd to those who worked closely with the mayor, seeing him forget the names and faces of old friends, and suspicions were raised, but nothing overt had happened yet. This went on for a couple of weeks. Enter the PCs, with a caravan, who meet the mayor and see him unable to remember the caravan leader, who has been making trade runs through this town for years. They also notice that the mayor wears strong purfume to cover the subtler smell of alcohol (one of the PCs had scent), which was just a convenient quirk of the man.
    The doppelganger, recognizing the inn as the most likely place for out-of-towners to be passing through, had Fred tie him up in a room adjacent to the PCs' room. He (the doppelganger) was dressed in clothing owned by the mayor, wearing the same purfume, but a weaker dose to make it appear it had been days since the last application, and stank of not having bathed for a few days. He got the PCs' attention by knocking on the wall after Fred had left discreetly. He also had Nystul's magic aura cast on him to negate detect magic, while Fred had laced some of the mayor's clothing with illusion magic (harmless unnoticable without magical detection). The players were suspicious (again, I was known to be the bait-and-switch, "save the dragon from the princess" kind of DM), but as they used their amateur detective skills, everything seemed to check out. They confronted the "impostor" in his room, and had him taken to prison by security, while the "kidnapped mayor" thanked them and "resumed" his duties. It was not until after the PCs had left the town that I revealed to them what had actually happened in the form of a letter. Apparently, the doppelganger just wanted to embezzle the sales tax money from the town (the town boasted one tourist attraction - the World's Biggest Brothel) and leave. Fred confessed under pressure, and out of spite for not getting his promised cut, but the campaign ended before the PCs could right that wrong.

I wasn't sure how I wanted the situation to play out, but I wanted to see if the scheme would work in a world where doppelganger kidnappings/replacements were a normal problem.
    Last edited by Notreallyhere77; 2012-08-05 at 01:07 PM.
    Blog for my latest (and hopefully last) campaign world: Thargothras!

Some less overused ways for your PCs to meet

Best compliments yet received:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Damn, you're good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Nice McNinja reference; you have earned 1 internet!
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Mage-King View Post
    You get an internet. Or three.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    That's some damn fine work, notreallyhere.

18. - Top - End - #138

DwarfFighterGuy

In my current game My friend found that his master had been wearing a belt of gender changing for years to avoid a flirtatious ogre.

Then they saved a white dragon from a fire breathing princess (Fire mephit royalty, her family's going to be looking for answers as to who killed her fairly soon)

Now they "go against the Norm" by fighting a home brewed critter named Norm.

Here he is, roughly from memory.
    Undead, Ooze. He's got a 10ft attack that does 2d8 and applies spores, and a 25 foot spore attack. Spores hit you with the slow spell for 2d6 rounds.
    Fast Healing 3. When a square is bordered by 3 squares of full health Norm, Norm spreads into the empty square. The only way to keep Norm from spreading across the world is to seal him in a dungeon with tightly sealed doors, or destroy the corrupted amulet at the middle, by "Fighting the Norm" all the way to the middle, in the basement of a dungeon the party just propped all the doors open in. Hopefully they don't flee without figuring out how to re-close a door.

So yea, my game is full of oddity and strange puns.
    Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    You are my favorite kind of villain.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Barbarian in the Playground

*Convince them to get the house special at a tavern by the name of "The Magic Mushroom." It can result in the following.

Quote:"You wake up in the morning. Your fire is not purple, nor does it show any sign of ever having been, your sheets cannot in fact talk to you as you thought, nor can your doorknob, which appears to be covered in a viscous pink sticky liquid. Vaguely you recall attempting to feed it a love potion."
    Last edited by Riverdance; 2012-08-05 at 11:17 PM.
    Many thanks to Ceika for my Avatar

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maugan Ra View Post
    [CoC stuff]
    Wow, that is one of the most awesome things I've read in a while.

...As for my newest contribution to the thread, please see the second part of this post.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

21. - Top - End - #141

SwashbucklerGuy

Thanks to StumbleUpon, I am really tempted to give my players a fetch quest: a young woman has lost her newborn child. They go on a quest to find it, and after succeeding, they start their long trek back to return the child to it's mother. The only problem? The child is this: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Baby_of....5e_Equipment)
    (Yes, I know it's D&D wiki, which really shouldn't be trusted for… well, anything. I just thought it would be a fun joke session)
    Last edited by Ksheep; 2012-08-06 at 11:06 PM.
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    *Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ksheep View Post
    Thanks to StumbleUpon, I am really tempted to give my players a fetch quest: a young woman has lost her newborn child. They go on a quest to find it, and after succeeding, they start their long trek back to return the child to it's mother. The only problem? The child is this: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Baby_of...3.5e_Equipment)
    (Yes, I know it's D&D wiki, which really shouldn't be trusted for… well, anything. I just thought it would be a fun joke session)

The baby of WHAT?!... oh ho!

What happens when it grows up, though?

23. - Top - End - #143

SwashbucklerGuy

The baby of WHAT?!... oh ho!

What happens when it grows up, though?
    Oh, it becomes a normal person. Of course, the trick is getting it to the point where it can grow up. Normal adventuring party would probably drown it within a week…

BTW, I fixed the link. Stupid auto-parse dropped the close paren…
    Last edited by Ksheep; 2012-08-06 at 11:06 PM.
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

*Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Orc in the Playground

So using that...
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    First level paladin.

25. - Top - End - #145

Part 2 of "The Mad House" (First part can be found on page 4)

1. PCs enter the basement, which is dominated by those huge wine-casks. The darkness is almost magical, as it seems to try and put out the player's torches and limits any Darkvision.
    2. After going down a dirt tunnel dug out from the basement wall, they enter a small room. Two doors, one set of double doors on the left, one on the right with a pair of tables. There's a body on the closest table. It's a human with the flesh on his arms and legs flayed to the bone up to the joints connecting to the torso (shoulders and groin). Lower jaw has been removed, as have the ears, eyes, and nose.
    3. Player prods the body, which bolts upright and screams, or screams as well as a jawless person can. They quickly kill the person. This particularly freaks out one of the players, who was a med-tech in the army.
    4. Players go through the door on the right, coming into a room full of glass vats filled with greenish liquid. Horrific, misshapen creatures can be seen floating in the liquid.
    5. Refer to the first page of this thread for this little gem.
    6. Upon leaving the vat room, the party goes through the double doors to discover a large operating theater/morgue. There are several gurneys with covered bodies on them. Examination of the bodies reveals horrific and barbaric mutilations (so much that a Fort save is needed to not become sickened).
    7. Upon entering the door at the far end, the PCs enter a F.E.A.R. style hallway (long, blood oozing from the walls, screaming, medical sounds that increase in volume as the players go along, ect.). Upon reaching the door at the far end, the players are flung back out of the hallway and against the far wall. Opening the door again reveals another morgue.
    8. Past morgue #2, the players find a huge clockwork door with a large, bloodstained press and several glass cases of dying animals. Examining a case of dying dogs reveals that while it looks like the mother is nursing her puppies, in truth, the puppies are eating their dead mother.
    9. After bypassing the clockwork door (by powering it with blood), the PCs enter an impossibly large room of cyclopian architecture with a large floating book in the center. Just so happens to have The Yellow Sign on it (Nobody in the group was familiar with H.P. Lovecraft). Large double doors on the far end.
    10. Upon reaching the book, the players were beset by a Wright in doctor's scrubs holding a sickle, along with ~12 Evolved Advanced Shadows. In unnatural darkness.
    11. After beating the Shadows (friggin' Aasimar and their Daylight spells...), they enter the large double doors to find what I describe as a "stargate looking device". The at-the-time BBEG was busy flicking through planes. He spots the party (The guy was that nasty combo of Factotum and Ur Priest) and summons a pair of Fiendish Fire Giants, then jumps into the portal.

End Part 2. It only gets worse from here on.
    Awesome avatar by linklele
    "The Barrier World" Google Doc
    A post-post apocalyptic steampunk magitech Pathfinder setting.
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome avatar by Akrim.elf and Ceika

26. - Top - End - #146
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I have one that I have used. It's a simple approach compared to the rest but it brought me an entire 4 hour session of pure joy.

I made a dungeon where every single door is trapped.

Why was is significant?

Rogue: I check the door for traps
    Me: You don't detect any traps on this side of the door.
    Sorc: What about he other side?
    Fighter: Doesn't matter, he trapped the last five doors, what are the chances that he's trapped this one too. I open the door.
    Rogue: I stand way back over there
    Me: Okay everyone but [Rogue] roll reflex.

This wasn't just me being a jerk either. The dungeon was a clearly abandoned tower that a Gnome wizard used to occupy and he trapped everything in there (which got him killed). the PCs had been warned constantly by the NPCs in the nearby town that it was a deathtrap and people who wander into it never come back. They just assumed that it was an evil wizard kidnapping people and decided to get in there.

It got to the point where they are too terrified to touch anything. The tower itself was empty other than the traps and one dead Gnome. The tower HAD treasure in it but because I had planned for the party to visit it later in the campaign (along with good enough Search skills to actually FIND most of the traps since it was intended to be pretty obvious that the traps were all over the place to someone with a level appropriate Search skill since I was doing a Girad's Gate sort of thing), I had wing it and had the dead Gnome's family give some level appropriate treasure as a reward for recovering the Wizard's remains.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well, I might sound unoriginal here, with all the hospitals and such, but here is another horror house:

Back-story: Giant complex devoted to healing attracted less-than noble people. Eventually remade as a madhouse. Fifty years after it and the community that surrounded it underwent a "mass lockdown", the house still runs itself. People can still come in. No one comes out.

First off, the PC's go inside this lovely place without much thought. They need to find records about a individual, one who was supposedly related to the main plotline. They walk inside the main lobby, and as it turns out it looks quite good for a place that’s supposedly abandoned. This is a setting where magic is vaguely spread out all over the place, so lights that are some how working in a supposedly haunted location did not surprise the players.

The players enter one of the basic sections of the building, and find out that the building is actually in a strange condition. While most of it is spotless, spots on the walls, ceiling, and floor look as if that, yes, this place has been undergoing the same wear and tear as any other abandoned building. Some pretty white spots on a otherwise grimy and water-damaged wall resembled hand prints from a small child. The bones of a strange creature (Like a cat, but "stretched out" as one PC with the right skills figured out) was laying on one of the grimy spots on the floor.

Eventually, after finding that these spots grow in size as the players go deeper into the complex, they find something interesting. To be exact, what is seemingly a human jawbone fused into the wall, in a position that would suggest a person with their chin up was standing there. The bone flawlessly merged into the clean, untouched spot, and attempts to remove it or the clean spot ended without success. Each and every one of the five video cameras the party brought did not work, seeing as they where out of battery somehow.

Eventually, as they go on in a quest for the "center" of the complex, they find that, rather than water-damaged and moldy, the damaged spots are taking on the look of something that was burnt. Some spots where still smoldering, with many having wisps of smoke coming out. One room that was wholly burnt caused the PC's to be forced to make several checks based on endurance to avoid taking in to much smoke. The one PC who failed that test got a nasty little trip in which the unnaturally clean walls were made of bone and the blackened parts red and oozing foul ichor. She snapped out of it eventually.

They soon figure out that this place is bigger than it was outside, and that they should have long since made it to the center of the building. There attempts to find the map's for the floor plan fail, as each one that they find on the exits are burnt and smoking. They also find more body parts fused to the walls, including a rather fleshy arm, several finger bones, a leg, and what was seemingly the backside of a man. Now, most of the building has switched back to a unnatural clean.

As if to make up for the clean earlier, the building is almost entirely ruined in the next few hallways. It's condition now takes on the worst of the former two versions, with whole hallways consisting of warm, blackened tiles and warped wood almost entirely covered in warm, sooty water. The floor nearly falls under them a few times. The only piece of human they see is a single fleshy torso, without arms or legs that was erect in the center of the hallway. The PC's were relucent to go past it, but they eventually did.

Eventually, they manage to find a hallway with actual rooms. The first one they find is almost entirely normal-ish, besides one little thing: all objects are fused to the floor. Carts are somehow immovable, chair legs are few inches inside the floor, ect. All are immovable. Windows, as it turns out, are not immune to the test of time, as they find out as a PC, who was knocking into things attempting to make them move,punchs one and gets a arm full of glass. Looking outside, they find out that they are only up to the second floor on a fifteen floor building.

Eventually, they get to a place that might have been the lunch area. Mostly clean very few spots that seemed dirty. However, one of the PC's got a strongly high spot check, and got this interesting message:

"You find a strange crease in the floor."

Naturally, the PC pokes it, and subsequently opens suddenly to reveal a mouth. That screams.

That’s the point where the floor, walls, and ceiling deformed in horrible ways to show moving, screaming bodies, with arms, legs, and things not native to humanities body starting to flail in every direction. The walls themselves where pulsing from the movement going on inside, and the same aged spots from before quickly spread across every surface like water. To put it bluntly, the entire room was seemingly a horrific melding of deformed metal and flesh, and it hated the PC's. They quickly ran across the room, seeing that the door they came in through had sealed itself and became one with the pulsing room, and managed to take only a little bit of damage.

They quickly found that the building past that was still a pulsing horror, but not nearly as bad as the first room. However, things like chairs and desks became much like the fleshy abomination that they saw before, and they quickly learned that the difference between metal and flesh ended the moment they walked into the building.

After some encounters with some formerly stationary objects, they manage to actually get there way inside where the files where kept and got the files about the guy. Naturally, they wanted the heck out, and they found a exit near the room.

After nearly sliding on the wet stairs (that had a tongue-like consistency), they start to hear the same screaming as the horror room from before, but louder. After a few stretches of perfectly clean whiteness, they find a door that said "EXIT". The screaming only got worse as they got closer to it.

However, the phrase under that stated, in blood-red letters that seemed to be painted in still-wet blood "A MONUMET TO ALL YOUR SINS", misspelling intended. They walk into the room, and what they saw shocked them, which was surprising considering what they had gone through.

The room itself was massive. Rather than having the same "hospital white" scheme as the other parts of the building, this cylinder-shaped room was almost chrome like. Also, it was massive: it was hardly large in width, but the top was unseeable to them. They also figured out why, out of everything they saw, there was not a single head anywhere in the building. Or, for that matter, why the screaming stopped.

The entire room had heads coming out of the walls, with the whole thing jam-packed with heads each flawlessly sealed into the walls. Each one was looking at the PC's, without saying a word. The players, now slightly tired, where horrified, and on the PC's asked "Why".

At this, one of the heads gave a little chuckle. Soon, others began to laugh, and eventually every head was guffawing at the player's question. Soon, droplets of blood rained down from the unseeable ceiling and the entire structure was shaking slightly, a organic motion for something otherwise wholly metal. Without much more talk (Albeit one of the PC's nearly broke down), they walked outside, past the freakish doors.....to daylight. They actually had spent less than a hour in there, besides the fact that night had passed by since they where inside. The clincher was when one of the PC's looked at the building behind them. It was a normal exit, and the door had a message spray-painted on it.

THERE IS NO WHY, TRAVIS, THERE IS NO WHY

One of the players nearly broke down there (the player who asked the question's charecter was named Travis), while two others needed to use the bathroom. I feel...accomplished.
    Last edited by Pokonic; 2014-09-21 at 02:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post

THERE IS NO WHY, TRAVIS, THERE IS NO WHY

One of the players nearly broke down there (the player who asked the question's charecter was named Travis), while two others needed to use the bathroom. I feel...accomplished.

Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.

That last thing there wouldn't creep me out: it would just let me know the entire thing was ****ing with me. Then again, I haven't been through the entire gauntlet first...

29. - Top - End - #149

SwashbucklerGuy

I've been planing out a village that "plays by the rules". And by that, I don't mean they're lawful, I mean they use RAW rulings for everything.

For instance, the average commoner will have no idea what race any adventurer of higher than level 10 is (knowledge check being 10 + HD of creature to be identified).
    Said commoners will also have a 50/50 chance of understanding what is said right in front of them in a quite room, with it being much more difficult if there is distractions or they are more than 10 feet away from the speaker.
    They will also have no idea what the sun or moon is, they can't see the mountains down the road, and would be lucky to even see the forest surrounding the town due to untrained spot checks.
    The healer will oftentimes drown patients if they start bleeding too much.
    Any ranchers starting out can't handle their own animals a quarter of the time, and they will rarely be able to teach their draft animals to do any work at all.
    Commoners will not know general goings on in their own town half the time, and will rarely know anything specific about events.

*It does.*

What.

30. - Top - End - #150

Quote Originally Posted by Ksheep View Post
    I've been planing out a village that "plays by the rules". And by that, I don't mean they're lawful, I mean they use RAW rulings for everything.

For instance, the average commoner will have no idea what race any adventurer of higher than level 10 is (knowledge check being 10 + HD of creature to be identified).
    It's worse than that, untrained knowledge checks can't reveal any information above DC 10.
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White