New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default World of Warcraft XIII: Even Aspects Get Nerfed

A thread of all of us Giant ITP'ers to discuss World of Warcraft.

Lewt Brag, Cheevo Brag, Pet/Mount Brag, Moments of Pure Awesomeness Brag. Lets hear about your success and failures!
    Lore discussions, class discussions, faction discussions.

Also, ask questions. Crowd source those problems.

Obligatory Linkages:
    www.worldofwarcraft.com --official site
    mmo-champion.com --news site
    www.wowpedia.org --encylopedia of the Warcraft Universe
    www.wowhead.com --search engine for pretty much anything in the game. Items, quests, achievements, enemies, everything.
    www.tankspot.com --strategy guides, class guides and videos, forums. PST and The Weekly Marmot are posted on this site.

We've got RealID, Gametags, and Cross-Realm Raiding going live in the next patch. We're trying to get a Giant ITP raid/dungeon day worked out.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: World of Warcraft XIII: Even Aspects Get Nerfed

On our final raid day before the nerf, my guild got normal Madness of Deathwing down. While the two adds were running around smoking everyone, and only three people were left (with about 30% health left), we pushed him to 1%. I thought we were done for, not knowing he 'died' at 1%. But we made it!

I had been resisting watching any cutscenes and seeing how the story unraveled until I got there on normal with my guild, so I finally got to see how it ended... except all of my guildmates wouldn't stop talking since they had seen it so many times before on Raid Finder. Now I gotta go see it on Youtube.

Oh, and I got Exalted with Ashtongue last night. The kill that pushed me over -- Illidan. I love timing like that. Not a single boss kill wasted, in all my grinding.
    Last edited by The Linker; 2012-01-27 at 04:09 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

"Auntie" Shaynta, my main/frost mage.

Laram, my "bearcat" druid alt.

DiesHorribly, my goblin hunter & lone horde alt. No, that isn't a mistyped link, I was forced to change his name. He's still DiesHorribly to me, though.

Current Projects. No order implied.

>Running the main through the revamped old-world zones for the Alliance.

>Retro raiding Molten Core for rep #49 and the hope of some old patterns.

>Trying to find a cloth leg slot item like this quest drop for transmog purposes. Confirmed last night that the draenei quests did not get reset, so I've already done the quest.

Current pre-Mists goals

1> Kill Deathwing in LFR on main\mage
    2> Tank all three "end time" heroics on the druid.
    3> Insert here "ultimate goal" for the hunter\horde alt - toying with "get all the special pets from Firelands"
    4> "Re-earn" Loremaster on the LFR main by doing the old-world quest achievements that changed for Cata.
    5> 50 exalted reps on the main (sitting at 48 right now with Darkmoon Faire & Hydraxian well into Reverred and Netherdrake still an option).
    6> Maxed out alchemy on the priest (currently 71 & maxed for WotLK levels).
    7> Cataclysmically Epic on the druid in his Feral set
    8> Cataclysmically Superior on the hunter (currently 2 pieces shy).
    9> 85th level w/maxed out blacksmithing on the paladin (currently 80).
    10> 85th level w/ maxed out herb & mining on the DK\bank alt (currently 80).
    11> Maxed engineering on the hunter (504 right now; 535 would be max for him).
    12> Play through the "newbie" quests for every race I haven't already done during Cata (troll, tauren, forsaken, dwarf, gnome, night elf).
    13> Cataclysmically Epic on main\mage (currently lack only the shoulder)
    14> "Earned" Cataclysmically Superior on the druid (he has it between his healing & feral sets but not on a single set).

X> See if I can squeeze some extra levels into the long-forgotten warrior & rogue.
    Last edited by TheEmerged; 2012-01-27 at 08:04 PM.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Branin, protection/retribution paladin, my only level 85.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

I assume different regions still can't play together?
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Chastening story from my Gnomish frost DK in raid finder last night... The group barely got through (I wound up, as DPS, eating an impale because the tanks didn't seem to understand that they had to pick up mutated corruptions and tank them), but it got through, and we got loot.

Specifically, I got loot. Or I would have, had I looted before leaving group. I won the roll, but left group without the item in my bags. Luckily, a GM was able to loot it for me, and mail it to me. Souldrinker is a far sight better than an expired auction in the mailbox any day!

I'm running too many alts (even too many 85 alts!), so I'm focusing on just a few: my priest (who heals my guild's progression run, which means lots of Yorsahj wipes for now), my DK (as a sharp DPS, with tanking possibilities), and my feral druid (whose bear set has somehow allowed him to go from my fifth best geared character to my second since 4.3 hit).

Other characters are for my own amusement and professions.

LFR Spine of Deathwing seems to have the largest amount of "Gee, did I really just see them try THAT??" of the tier. Madness is harder, of course, but Spine requires more finesse (there are times when DPS does not necessarily need to be killing something). I got to help tank a run tonight where we had three amalgamations up within the first minute. And no one rolls on raidfinder, because we'd lose half the raid.
    "Chess, like love, like music, has the power to make men happy." --Siegbert Tarrasch

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

LFR Spine of Deathwing seems to have the largest amount of "Gee, did I really just see them try THAT??" of the tier. Madness is harder, of course, but Spine requires more finesse (there are times when DPS does not necessarily need to be killing something). I got to help tank a run tonight where we had three amalgamations up within the first minute. And no one rolls on raidfinder, because we'd lose half the raid.
    Ayup, Spine is what almost made me swear never to use LFR again. Many people in LFR aren't quite the best raiders out there, and I'm fine with it, but on Spine, people are downright suicidal, going so far as to make the encounter unwinnable. I wonder what goes on in the heads of those people.

My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

I skipped on the second half of LFR last week, and this week I've only done the Siege part. I've found that doing it as DPS is a lot less stressful than doing it as a tank.

Minor mount brag: I ran the timer for heroic Culling of Stratholme in my retribution spec the other day, earning the bronze drake. I made it with eight minutes left on the timer. I guess ret paladins have an easy time with it due to the self heal from Divine Storm and the copious amounts of non-elite trash, but still, I was surprised how smooth everything went. I went in as prot a while ago to get the Royal Crest of Lordaeron and the timer ran out just before I got to Mal'Ganis. Now I just have to farm 2000 gold to get Artisan flying. Shouldn't be too hard though. I still have some stuff I need to auction off that should cover it if I'm careful.

~edit: 7/8 tonight. Started off a bit iffy as there were no officers online to lead the raid, but 30 minutes later we got the go ahead anyway. Against all expectations we ended up downing Spine in only five pulls. I got the tanking trinket (88 dodge on each melee swing, up to 10 stacks). The DPS shoulders dropped too, but they ended up on a DK alt. Still, happy with just the trinket. 389 ilevel now.
    Last edited by Skios; 2012-01-29 at 04:59 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Why require a Officer to lead a raid? - if you are all regular raiders and know what you are meant to be doing then having to have a officer there to guide you hand and foot is somewhat superfluous. All you need is someone to handle the Master Looting.
    Last edited by Leon; 2012-01-30 at 08:50 AM.
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

10. - Top - End - #10
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Why require a Officer to lead a raid?
    We have 3 raids going on currently. Pretty sure only one of them is being run by an officer.

I was outzombied by the baby!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Amotis View Post
    Alarra ate all my awesome and now she's always acknowledged as awe-inspiring awesome. Alliteration aside, Alarra is awesome.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by GolemsVoice View Post
    Ayup, Spine is what almost made me swear never to use LFR again. Many people in LFR aren't quite the best raiders out there, and I'm fine with it, but on Spine, people are downright suicidal, going so far as to make the encounter unwinnable. I wonder what goes on in the heads of those people.
    Spine on Normal with more than 1 pug. Even if they've done it before, there will always be issues, related to those pugs, no matter what role they play.

Why require a Officer to lead a raid? - if you are all regular raiders and know what you are meant to be doing then having to have a officer there to guide you hand and foot is somewhat superfluous. All you need is someone to handle the Master Looting.
    Yeah, I thought this once too. Back when I had to raid lead Firelands. Funny thing, no matter how good the group is, no matter how diplomatically the raid leader runs it, if the word 'officer' isn't in there somewhere, things get shakey in a hurry.
    I was raid leading for a few weeks as someone was on vacation. The only change was that I had leadership, otherwise it was the same group of people who had all cleared the content before. I got questions related to loot rules, boss strats, you name it, I got asked, typically in tells where it's useless for me to answer.

After a while of this, I freaked out and informed the raid "it's was the same bloody place it was the week before, it's the same group of people it was the week before, it's the same loot rules as the week before. And you were all here the week before! Stop asking questions you already know the answer to and pull the bloody boss already."

After another page of tells asking for clarification (suddenly no one talked on vent or in raid channel), I actually rage logged for about 15 minutes.

So when the other officer came back I asked him if he got that a lot.
    Yes. Very much yes. This is why his internet connection sometimes "wasn't very reliable" some nights and not others.

Yes, you'll want someone familiar with the bulltonky of raid leading to lead it, no matter how successful your group is. Does the tag of officer need to be on that person? Not really. Are their people out there who act oddly if that tag isn't there? Yeup.
    Last edited by Karoht; 2012-01-30 at 11:04 AM.
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

As Karoht said, having an officer along is pretty much just so we have someone that can tell the raid nicely to sit down and shut up, to whom the raid will actually listen. It isn't even really a matter of preventing drama or loot disputes. It's mostly just so that the raid will keep rolling along smoothly. Thankfully with two temporary officers it did, as we finished of the Spine encounter on our first serious night there (we got one or two pulls on the night of our first Blackhorn kill).

Unfortunately we weren't able to repeat that feat on tonight's first foray into the Madness encounter, but we still got pretty far in. About two thirds of the way through the fourth platform. Right now we're going with Ysera -> Alexstraza -> Nozdormu -> Kalecgos for our platform sequence. Our wipes mostly come from the fact that we're still learning the exact correct way to distribute our various CDs across the platforms. I actually brought my LFR T13 shoulders in stead of the non-tier normal mode shoulders from Morchok to get the buff on my Divine Guardian (range buffed to 100 yards, CD lowered to two minutes). Still, with the way we are handling Dragon Soul now there should be no reason why we shouldn't be pulling on Madness for at least one and a half of our three raid nights. Hopefully the gear we get from the first six or seven bosses on Wednesday will be that little extra push in the back we need to get him down by this time next week. After that, it's on to Morchok HC.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Halfling in the Playground

Officers are there to lead (it's sort of by definition), and to think that it's all just a matter of distributing loot is a very bold understatement of what they do. It's not an easy job (and not everyone is going to be good at it) and it's what keeps the group working coherently -- imagine a sports team without a coach, or an army without a general, that sort of stuff. There's a lot of things they do and much of it isn't actually visible to most raiders.

The other downside of not having an officer is that people will run into arguments and disagreements because everyone tries to have their say in a group without any arbiter to decide what's what. People try to fill in the vacant leadership role and this leads to confusion and chaos.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Skios View Post
    Unfortunately we weren't able to repeat that feat on tonight's first foray into the Madness encounter, but we still got pretty far in. About two thirds of the way through the fourth platform. Right now we're going with Ysera -> Alexstraza -> Nozdormu -> Kalecgos for our platform sequence. Our wipes mostly come from the fact that we're still learning the exact correct way to distribute our various CDs across the platforms.
    We use no CD's on the first platform, although everyone should be hitting Ysera's Dream every chance they can, and our Paladin with his 4pc takes the second impale. Now our Druid also has a raid wide thanks to his 4pc so we'll be working that out soon. But if you only have one tank with a raidwide CD, that one should take impale first. If they both have it, then the other should be popped shortly after Cataclysm begins casting.
    Second platform I use Tranquility so it is back up for 4th platform.
    Third platform we rely on another healer's cooldowns.
    Fourth uses my Tranquility on the Elementium Bolt. Treeform once Cataclysm starts casting.
    Final platform relies on usage of all cooldowns, from the tanks to DPS using their personal damage reducers. Tranquility is usually back up just after the two big adds spawn. Treeform is usually up by the second set of two big adds.

After that, it's on to Morchok HC.
    You really want to read up on this guy. He's very easy to underestimate.

You want to clear out the extra trash on both sides, to give yourself more room BTW.

You're going to split your raid into 2 groups. 1 tank, 2 dps and 2 healers per side. Now I'll bet your adding that up and thinking, 'wait, 4 healers' and then after that I'll bet your thinking, 'how does he know what I'm thinking.'
    The extra healer you pick up can just be someone with an off-spec, but they should at least know how to use it.
    Anyway, if you must go with 3 healers only, solo heal the left side (Morchok), 2 heal the right side (Kochrom). WARNING: Solo healing left is no easy task, you will want your best raid healer over that side, I recommend Resto Shaman or even a Holy/Disc Priest. Shamans do very well as this is just about ideal conditions for Chain Heal and Healing Rain, and their mastery works rather well here due to the constantly low health bars.

Positioning is key here. Whenever he stomps, you need to be as follows.
    Tank-Soak-Range.
    The Tank will of course be right on top of the boss.
    The Soak needs to be between the tank and the range, but not too far from the tank. The soak also needs a lot of hit points and should probably be a plate wearer (stomp is physical damage so high armor = good), while the three other DPS should be just a bit further back from the Soak.
    Then there are the crystals. Which are very simple to handle. 3 people stand on them. No big deal.
    Right side will get crystals and stomps more frequently, Left side will get them less frequently. Try to put more of your emergency cooldowns on the right side. Also, try and make sure you have a bloodlust in both groups, because the range difference will mean that one group will be out of range of the other.

Tips:
    -A DK can pop Anti-Magic Shield and stay in during the Black Blood part rather than running to a pillar. Their Army of the Dead will die however. I think Paladins can do something similar, but all the Paladin cooldowns you'll probably want for either Soaking or just keeping people alive in general. Great way to keep DPS up though.
    -Do not bother using a pre-pot as the split occurs at a fixed amount of health. Bloodlust after 2nd or 3rd Black Blood phase.
    -Holy Paladins can soak. It works out decently. So can Rogues though I'm not certain what allows them to do this.
    -The way crystals spawn, the boss will lead you away from that middle road. During the Black Blood phase, just run back towards the road when you hide behind a crystal IF your positioning gets a little too close to the trash mobs.
    -For anyone healing this, don't be afraid to Flash Heal to top up, and remember that when the crystal explodes you will have your cast interrupted. Two Flash heals landing VS 1 Big Heal not landing, your call. Pre-HoTs and Pre-Shields are actually good on this fight, not evil, though it will tap your mana pretty hard. Also, I would orient a bit more towards output VS mana efficiency for most of the DS fights, and this one especially, because you have a very short window to top up 5 people.
    -If you are fortunate enough to have 4 healers with you, healing assignments go very very far, even though you are only healing 5 people. Raid healers heal everyone but prioritize themself + range. Direct healer prioritizes Tank + Soak, but helps heal everyone else when possible. This is especially important for whoever is healing right side.

For more information regarding the Tank - Soak - Range positioning, I would consult a video guide. Just head to youtube and search for Heroic Morchok 10 man guide, you'll get the picture very quickly.

15. - Top - End - #15

BardGuy

To clarify Karoht's comments on using rogues to soak on H Morchok: Feint reduces AoE damage taken, and it on a short cooldown. If your rogue(s) can absolutely hit Feint on every stomp, they soak successfully. We've also had some results with resto druids popping into bear form to soak, then popping out to heal. This is trickier than a holy paladin following the tank everywhere, though.

Last night, Deathwing was kind enough to drop the mount as compensation for all of those Agility one-handers (our rogue has the second version towards the legendary, and we don't have anyone else who wants them). A quick suggestion gave this to our guild leader (also raid leader), so his priest can fly along in style.

Regarding Deathwing fight: yes, spacing out cooldowns is huge. We've killed him about 3-4 lockouts, but last night was our first one-shot. Proper cooldown usage/communication is critical. We actually don't use healer cooldowns on platform 3, so that they're up on platform 4. We just have to heal harder and at more cost to our mana bars. As a holy priest, glyphed guardian spirit is up for every platform, and it's reserved for second impales (we single tanked it with a blood DK). My divine Hymn is used platforms 2 and 4 (not quite fast enough for 3 as well), while our Disc priest (raid leader) has Power Word Barrier on 2 and 4, while using his Divine Hymn for the bolt on 4. Phase 2, it's pop it when you've got it and we need it, but tell us so that we can sit back and watch green bars fill up. Also, we coordinate our raid mana regen cooldowns: I hit Hymn of Hope immediately on platform2, and shortly after the bolt on 4, while our disc priest hits it at the start of platform 3, and early in phase 2. Again, if you've got a cooldown that either helps you survive, helps the raid survive, or gives the raid mana, communicate with your raid when and how to use it.

Now, to see if we can handle H Yor'sahj post-nerf...
    "Chess, like love, like music, has the power to make men happy." --Siegbert Tarrasch

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Expf View Post
    The other downside of not having an officer is that people will run into arguments and disagreements because everyone tries to have their say in a group without any arbiter to decide what's what. People try to fill in the vacant leadership role and this leads to confusion and chaos.
    You guys* must run with some really immature people. We just understand that the raid leader is the guy in charge. Period. We don't need an officer to tell us that the raid leader is in charge. I run with officers in my raid, I'm the raid leader, and there's no guff about it. Hell, I run with the GM in my raid sometimes, but it's clear that I'm the raid leader.

*I don't mean you, specifically, but everyone who's raids don't run smoothly unless an officer is leading it.
    Want to meet some of the most awesome people on the internet? Come to the Baltimore/DC Area RenFest Meetup 2012!

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb The Troll View Post
    You guys* must run with some really immature people. We just understand that the raid leader is the guy in charge. Period. We don't need an officer to tell us that the raid leader is in charge. I run with officers in my raid, I'm the raid leader, and there's no guff about it. Hell, I run with the GM in my raid sometimes, but it's clear that I'm the raid leader.

*I don't mean you, specifically, but everyone who's raids don't run smoothly unless an officer is leading it.
    Oh I agree, I run with some very silly people at times. When the only real change to the raid group downing the same content was a change of healer and a different guy with the 'raid leader' tag (let alone with or without the officer tag in place), suddenly people went stupid on me. They magically got confused on loot rules (which I would then copy pasta from the guild website) or when breaks occur (they happen at fixed intervals, 5 minutes every hour, 10 minutes at the two hour mark, no other breaks unless we run into trouble such as connection issues or baby/wife aggro) or when to use their cooldowns or how to kite Shannox. I would like to point out that this also occured with the same raid leader from the week previous in the raid.

I imagined for a time that such herp derps didn't happen to higher up guilds, then I watched Paragon's and Refined's raid streams. It is much more common than one might imagine, and appears to be independant of player skill. But that's just my observation on the matter.

So, I load up WoW this morning to see whats what with the patch. And the optimizer kicks in. Huzzah. 64-bit client go go! Here's hoping I don't have to do a complete reinstall. *crosses fingers*

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    So, I load up WoW this morning to see whats what with the patch. And the optimizer kicks in. Huzzah. 64-bit client go go! Here's hoping I don't have to do a complete reinstall. *crosses fingers*
    I'll be watching for your answer with interest

So, after my paladin friend and I finished our weekly boss clear of Molten Core, we got it in our heads to run it on our main alts -- my druid tanking, his shaman dps'ing. Results were amusing, at least for me. My health bar was barely moving, and he's not all that well geared (333-343 mostly). The only time I even thought about any defensive cooldowns\asking the shaman to heal was when I decided to pull virtually everything on the 'bridge' between the Baron fight and the "four healers + 1 tank" fight, at once, just to see what would happen.

The goblin hunter replaced his 325 trinket, so that means all he lacks for Cata Superior now is the chest. The current plan is to hold out for the Valor one.

It looks like my WoW playtime is about to take a hit, though. I should be picking up Skyrim this week
    Last edited by TheEmerged; 2012-01-31 at 01:47 PM.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

19. - Top - End - #19

Anyone want a really awesome money making trick, or an easy way to get the Black Tabby Cat pet?

It takes two people to really be efficient, preferably both be skinners.
    At least one needs to have a spammable AoE such as Blizzard or Hurricane, even Holy Nova will do the job.

So fly out to Hillsbrad. There's a group of horses that run around, and their spawn point is near a cave of yeti. If you AoE the spawn point, they will endlessly die and respawn. You get a fresh spawn about every 3 seconds. They only respawn there if ALL of them die, so if you get a straggler, kill it. If you spam that AoE in the right spot, you should never have any trouble.
    Spam until the pile is utterly out of control or you are out of mana.
    If you miss the pack some how, it takes them roughly 3 minutes to come back around, or you can chase them down and get them.

The other person is there to endlessly loot and skin. 8 critters die every 3-5 seconds. Yes they grant XP if you are of the appropriate level. XP per minute is very respectable, or so I hear tell.

Looting alone will make you a pile of money.
    Skinning and selling the leather will make you a boatload of money.
    If the gods smile on you, you should net 2-4 Black Tabby cages per hour. The drop chance is about the same as anything else out there, namely .02% which is no worse than anything else in the zone. It took me about 20 minutes to get my first one, and 7 minutes after that I had a second. That's an easy 10K on the AH, each, just sell them one at a time and don't flood the market. Just remember to split the funds with your partner.

For optimum efficiency, partner up with a level 25-35 who has skinning, and that person should see a pretty solid stream of XP from skinning and killing.

Also, show up with completely empty bags. Don't bring anything with you. Trust me. Your bags will fill up alarmingly fast, as will your partners.
    Last edited by Karoht; 2012-01-31 at 02:01 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

A friend of mine made endless amounts of gold (back in vanilla, when 1000 gold was ALL THE GOLD EVER) by "smuggling" horde only pets into SW. I always imagined him as a very obvious Orc with a trenchcoat and a wide hat with an unconvincing mustache or something peddling his cats in shady alleys. "Pst, hu-man, want cat? Still good, look! For the H....uuuuuman Kingdom, indeed!"

21. - Top - End - #21

To be honest, most often the pets sell better on the neutral AH.

And yeah, the Festival Lanterns that I keep buying from the Horde AH for 3 grand and selling on the neutral for 10 grand... well, that math speaks for itself.

EDIT: Patch News
    From what I can tell, the 64-bit client is not released but the file optimizer is. No idea what will happen when the new client is ready, but I'm very sure it will require a reinstall. Maybe that's why they're delaying it? To make it an optional patch?

The benefits of 64-bit WoW.
    IF you have a 64-bit operating system
    AND IF you have a 64-bit processor
    AND IF you have more than 4 gigs of ram
    AND IF you have the 64-bit game client
    Your system can better take advantage of your existing ram. I've heard all kinds of numbers ranging from 2 gigs to 6 gigs as the limitations of the current 32-bit clients (most games are still on 32-bit clients, this is nothing to do with graphics) but 4 gigs + seems to be safe number to count on.
    According to people on the PTR this has helped with framerates and stability.

Some have said that they went from 15 fps to 40 fps. Some at 35 fps were running 60 fps. All with no graphical changes or changes of hardware.

It should also be noted that WoW runs quite a few visual processes on the processor, not through your graphics processor. This allows the processor to work at it's full capacity, so combined with the ram optimization, it should free up any bottlenecks around that end.

Much of this is speculation though, your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by Karoht; 2012-01-31 at 06:44 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Halfling in the Playground

Regarding the raid leader/officer issue, it's kind of mystical... Some leaders have this "presence" that makes people listen and obey, and others just don't have the courage to do so and things fall into disorder when that happens. You can sort of tell who is really officer material and who isn't just by the way they talk.

Karoht, just one minor correction: Kohcrom spawns on the left, Morchok on the right side (assuming you're facing the Temple). Two weeks ago I got myself (and everyone else!) utterly confused because I ended up giving contradicting group assignments with the whole "Left vs Right" and "Koh vs Mor" distinction. Spent like 5 minutes trying to correct what I said. Hah.

When solo-healing one side, I (from a healer's PoV) found it easier to have the tank move and soak the Resonating Crystals (w/ 2 ranged) so the healer doesn't have to move as much. On my Disc alt I find it hard to catch up on healing when I have to move a lot since they are not exactly the most mobile healing class.

The Horde players on both my servers probably make a ton of gold from selling the lanterns because ... well ... both these servers are like 10:1 Alliance:Horde ratios so there's a huge demand on the alliance side for the horde lanterns (and of course, much lower demand for Alliance lanterns). I've seen it sell for like 25k once on the Alliance AH, though not sure if people actually bought it. And there's fewer than two up on the AH at any one time. Gotta love unbalanced servers.
    Last edited by Expf; 2012-02-01 at 08:43 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

I can't wait to try out the 64-bit patch. It's generally running smoothly enough, but at the same time I feel like I should be getting much more out of it, framerate wise. Thankfully I'm not like some guildies who spend at least two minutes at each loading screen, but at the same time I feel like I have to sacrifice a lot, graphics wise, to get a desirable framerate, that I really shouldn't have to sacrifice.

24. - Top - End - #24

Okay, so 64-bit client is downloadable, but not working properly. I guess it is a separate .exe, and unless I've missed a very signifigant detail, it's the only file you need to run the 64-bit client. So no reinstall necessary, maybe? This is looking positive.

Tiny Shale Spider is a very easily obtainable pet.
    Get daily quest in Deepholm that gives you bombs.
    Use bombs to get to ledge.
    If Jadefang isn't there, check back in around 6 hours. Or log out on that ledge. He doesn't aggro on contact (he's a yellow nameplate mob), so you're perfectly safe.

As such I'm not rocking 149/150 pets *fist pump*
    I'm currently attempting to farm a Sprite Darter, or wait until I see something cheap on the AH.

25. - Top - End - #25

Do I need to do anything specific to download this 64-bit executable or did it download with the last patch?
    Want to meet some of the most awesome people on the internet? Come to the Baltimore/DC Area RenFest Meetup 2012!

26. - Top - End - #26

I'm very much playing a wait and see approach with this, as there are many reports on the forums of people running the 64-bit client and having issues.
    Even though Blizz told them expressly NOT to run the 64-bit client.

That said, I am unsure from my forum trolling if one has to download it separately or if it came with the patch and is merely a second .exe in the WoW folder to click. Though judging from the tales I've read on the forums, it is or was something you download separately.

I'm perfectly fine waiting for Blizzard to say "It is now live, here is where you download it and what you do to activate it properly" and until such time I advise anyone else to do the same.

For the record though, we lost one of our core raiders last night due to him fooling with this despite the warnings, and he had to run the repair tool and go through the optimization process about 4 times before it would let him in. Between all that and actually patching, he missed raid. Oh well, better for him we were finishing a Legendary stick for someone in Firelands last night before we went into DS so he didn't miss much.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

So I've been crafting tons and tons of Pet Bomblings and Lil' Smokeys, and about a couple dozen Tranquil Mechanical Yetis.

I find Globe of Water especially annoying to farm. I have the mats for so many yetis and it's just not happening because it's entirely reliant on my (so far, TERRIBLE) luck on the globes.

I know, random is random, etc. However, when after an hour of farming, I come out with 4 of these darn things, it's not exactly encouraging.

However, with the other two, I think I'll wait until MoP to sell my stockpile. Currently about 80 Smokeys and a little over 200 Bomblings. I stopped crafting just because I got sick of waiting so long to craft the individual pieces and then the pets themselves, but I have enough mats for a couple hundred more of both pets. Thank goodness for bank alts.

I'm also waiting on MoP to see what I want to change my Alchemy over to (or keep it the same, but currently, not looking like that) but I'll undoubtedly keep engineering because I use it so often and the convenience is too...well, *convenient*!

Avatars courtesy of Qwernt (Nagahydra) and jamroar (Ice Devil).

28. - Top - End - #28

Heroic Ultraxion = the dead! Finally.
    Surviving to 5:45 wasn't the issue, DPS was. And once DPS stopped dying to Fading Light and managed to time cooldowns properly... who'd have thunk it, we downed the boss!
    Heroic Off-Hand for me. Just need a main hand to match now.
    Our mage finally got his T13 4pc bonus. This guy was doing 40K on H Ultraxion tonight. He's now got a Legendary to boost him, and says the set bonus should probably bump him up decently as well.

Clearing down the rest of the instance tomorrow night. Next week, H Yorsahj and H Hagara are the targets.

Oh, and 64-bit client is now live. Here are instructions. Yes, it is pretty darned sweet for me, as I have 8 gigs of ram. Anyone with 4 gigs of ram or more is likely to see a boost. Here's an official thread for details.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3988300405

Warning-Some addons may require adjustment.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Congratulations on the progression . I've tried the 64 bit client today, and things have improved quite a bit. No issues with addons (yet). I guess the real trial, graphics performance wise, will be Sunday night's raid. Still, I have high hopes for it.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    Heroic Ultraxion = the dead! Finally.
    Surviving to 5:45 wasn't the issue, DPS was. And once DPS stopped dying to Fading Light and managed to time cooldowns properly... who'd have thunk it, we downed the boss!
    Heroic Off-Hand for me. Just need a main hand to match now.
    Our mage finally got his T13 4pc bonus. This guy was doing 40K on H Ultraxion tonight. He's now got a Legendary to boost him, and says the set bonus should probably bump him up decently as well.

Clearing down the rest of the instance tomorrow night. Next week, H Yorsahj and H Hagara are the targets.

Oh, and 64-bit client is now live. Here are instructions. Yes, it is pretty darned sweet for me, as I have 8 gigs of ram. Anyone with 4 gigs of ram or more is likely to see a boost. Here's an official thread for details.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3988300405

Warning-Some addons may require adjustment.
    You went for Heroic Ultraxion before Hagara or Yorsahj? This seems kind of odd, although my guild has some fairly awful dps so that won't be happening anytime soon.