New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Trying to find a clone-like spell

I'm sure I've seen a spell similar to Clone in which the clone immediately tries to hunt down and kill the original, but I can't seem to find it. The Clone spell itself doesn't work this way, has anyone seen anything that meets that description?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Trying to find a clone-like spell

That would be Ice Assassin, I guess. Source = Frostburn; 9th level spell.
    The Countess of Mispelling hath returned !__________________________________________________ _________Behold my magnetoresistance !
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    This isn't just any drow. This is a drow who is willing to have a good-aligned flying snake come out of her body so she can then fart rainbows.
    Outer Sphere__________________________________________________ _______________Inkatar !__________________________________________________ _______________Starship

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Ice assassin is correct, and I believe clone used to function in this way as well under certain circumstances.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stabbald View Post
    I'm sure I've seen a spell similar to Clone in which the clone immediately tries to hunt down and kill the original, but I can't seem to find it. The Clone spell itself doesn't work this way, has anyone seen anything that meets that description?
    a mirror of opposition also pretty much does this if it wasn't ice assassin, as people have already said.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Artifact from 2E version of the spell where the clone actually is the person and they are aware of each other and will try to rid the world of the other or go insane and kill itself.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

There's also the Demi-plane of Mirrors, every time you go there you are cloned and it tries to kill you. If you kill it, you aren't cloned anymore, but if it kills you it can leave the plane.
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Simulacrum would do the same.
    Get something from the person/creature you want to 'clone', make the simulacrum, order it to find and kill the original.

Even though this would work it is sup-par, because the Simulacrum is not as powerful as the original.
    Hide behind your tower shield, to gain total cover for you and your equipment. Your tower shield now has total cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Story Time View Post
    Good job, Wookiee-Ranger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    You can always start the game by making a coup the grace against yourself.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wookie-ranger View Post
    Even though this would work it is sup-par, because the Simulacrum is not as powerful as the original.
    well, one isn't, but two or three or four are more than a match for it, as is a half strength creature of 2x or more power
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Diarmuid View Post
    Artifact from 2E version of the spell where the clone actually is the person and they are aware of each other and will try to rid the world of the other or go insane and kill itself.
    This must have been it. I suppose I could use a Mirror of Opposition, but it doesn't quite have the flavor that I'm interested in.

The reason I asked was that the party in my game is going to need to go to the bad guys for help and they will need to leave one of their own with them for some time in a dormant state. I was thinking of having the bad guys harvest a sample and growing a clone to spring on the party a few months down the road (I would advance the clone in levels to represent the evil guys training the clone).

I suppose I could just do it anyway, it would have just been nice to have a mechanical reason to justify it.

I guess I *could* use a Mirror of Opposition, but then the bad guys would have to interrupt the fight and then delete the party member's memories so that he forgets about it.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

There is also a thing called Aleax (in Book of Exalted Deeds I guess), which is a kind of a clone designed to kill it's original with a set of solid buffs and additional abilities. Depending on your players prowess, you might have to tone it down, but it would still make sense.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.