New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 91 FirstFirst ... 82324252627282930313233343536373839404142435883 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

Q 482

How would the (tactical) feats Confound the Big Folk and Underfoot Combat interact with the kobold's Slight Build racial trait? Would they be able to treat themselves as Tiny creatures?

They're technically subject to a size modifier (how many size categories am I smaller than this opponent?) and it is most definitely advantageous for them.

2. - Top - End - #962
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q483

If a multiclass Paladin/Cleric has the Battle Blessing feat, do spells on the Paladin's list cast out of Cleric slots receive the benefit?
    Last edited by Menteith; 2012-07-17 at 06:12 PM.

3. - Top - End - #963
    Troll in the Playground

Q 484

If a Lizardfolk is holding a longspear, does he threaten adjacent squares, with either his claws or (secondary) bite?

If so, what kind of penalties does he take?

4. - Top - End - #964
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 483 No.

Battle Blessing's benefit is for Paladin spells only. Cleric spells, even those which also appear on the Paladin spell list, receive no speedup.

5. - Top - End - #965
    Ettin in the Playground

I can't believe I missed that, when you posted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A falchion is a 2-handed melee weapon. Using Power Attack for 6
    the normal bonus damage from Power Attack is therefore +12. Leap Attack, with a 10'+ Jump, adds +100% the normal bonus damage from your use of the Power Attack feat (+12). The Valorous weapon property deals double damage on a charge: 2x [2d4+1 (weapon damage) +12 (normal Power Attack bonus damage)]. To that you add the Leap Attack bonus, which is not subject to further doubling.
    How did you come to this conclusion? According to Unapproachable East, "When used in a charge, the valorous weapon deals double damage, much like a mounted warrior with the Spirited Charge feat." With Spirited Charge "you deal double damage with a melee weapon". Why do you add the +100% PA from leap attack separately? Isn't it also part of the weapon damage? Shouldn't the whole damage be doubled?

You forgot the +6 damage from STR 18 (two-handed) That should be doubled by the valorous property, right?

Leading the Charge's bonus is to allies. Because other White Raven maneuvers refer to "you and allies" for their benefits (examples: Lion's Roar, Tactics of the Wolf, War Master's Charge) this benefit would seem to exclude you.
    This might be the intention of the rule. On the other hand the glossary of the PHB says: "ally: A creature friendly to you. In most cases, references to “allies” include yourself." There are also several instances where you are explicitly excluded. Not sure though if that is the case in ToB.

A 483

You cannot cast a paladin spell from a cleric slot. There are spells that are on both lists but you must decide whether you prepare them as a paladin spell (in a paladins slot) or as a cleric spell (in a cleric slot). Since only the former are paladin spells only those benefit from Battle blessing.

6. - Top - End - #966
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: A 399
    Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Why do you add the +100% PA from leap attack separately?
    Because that's what the Complete Adventurer Errata (and the Complete Warrior Errata which clarifies it), say you must do: you add the Leap Attack bonus rather than multiply. That bonus is from the feat, and not from the weapon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar
    You forgot the +6 damage from STR 18 (two-handed) That should be doubled by the valorous property, right?
    Yes; I'm sorry I overlooked that. You follow the normal rules for Power Attack, and double for valorous.

7. - Top - End - #967
    Ettin in the Playground

Because that's what the Complete Adventurer Errata (and the Complete Warrior Errata which clarifies it), say you must do: you add the Leap Attack bonus rather than multiply. That bonus is from the feat, and not from the weapon.
    That is true, but there are different things that are multiplied. You add +100% to the PA damage and you multiply the weapon damage, so is there any rule saying that the extra PA damage is no longer weapon damage?

Let's say you have 2 apples and 2 oranges in a basket. If someone tells you to add 100% of oranges and double the amount of fruit in the basket, what do you get? I'd say 8 oranges and 4 apples, by your reading it would be 4 apples and 6 oranges.

8. - Top - End - #968
    Banned

A 481 15' natural; 30' spiked chain.

There's no rules issue there. Stacking limits do not apply, and you multiply normally. The only significant consideration is that Inhuman Reach is +5' to your natural reach always, regardless of effects like Expansion. So with Expansion to size Large the natural reach is 10', plus 5' from Inhuman Reach. The spiked chain's reach is 2x the natural reach, for a total of 30'.
    I see no reason to assume that the bonus from Inhuman Reach would be doubled when using a reach weapon sized for a normal Large character's 10-ft. reach (if the weapon was special-made for characters with Inhuman Reach it might be reasonable, but that'd be a DM call since I know of no rules for such items).

SRD:
    Most reach weapons double the wielder’s natural reach, meaning that a typical Small or Medium wielder of such a weapon can attack a creature 10 feet away, but not a creature in an adjacent square. A typical Large character wielding a reach weapon of the appropriate size can attack a creature 15 or 20 feet away, but not adjacent creatures or creatures up to 10 feet away.
    I'm not sure what "natural reach" means exactly but it seems somehow wrong for Inhuman Reach to count towards it, even if it's written to say that it does. Regardless, having a Feat that makes your arms long does not automatically mean that every halberd you find is sized for those extra-long arms (particularly given that I don't think anyone normally has a 15-foot reach, except with a whip, and so weapons sized for it are probably not usually made). In any event, while this paragraph is phrased more like an example than like a rule, it does indicate that the reach is set to 15-20 for Large size, rather than just being double whatever the reach would otherwise be.
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-07-18 at 01:09 AM.

9. - Top - End - #969
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    I'm not sure what "natural reach" means exactly but it seems somehow wrong for Inhuman Reach to count towards it, even if it's written to say that it does.
    Natural reach is the creature's reach with only natural weapons, including unarmed strikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell
    Regardless, having a Feat that makes your arms long does not automatically mean that every halberd you find is sized for those extra-long arms ...
    The simplified D&D model of reach weapons is that they double your natural reach, unless there's an explicit exception. There are no details about arm length limitation for a halberd, and one sized for a Medium creature works for any Medium creature, regardless of whether that's a 3'9" Dwarf or an 8'0" Jotunbrud Human.

10. - Top - End - #970
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Q 485
    If a spell with an expendable duration, such as battlemagic perception, is shared with a familiar, does expending it also expend it for the familiar?

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    Q 484

If a Lizardfolk is holding a longspear, does he threaten adjacent squares, with either his claws or (secondary) bite?

If so, what kind of penalties does he take?
    A 484

If the longspear is being held in one hand, then one claw threatens, but the spear doesn't. The bite threatens regardless.

Assuming the natural weapons are only used for attacks of opportunity, they take no penalties, since they are not being used as a part of an attack routine.
    Last edited by Orran; 2012-07-18 at 07:19 AM.

11. - Top - End - #971
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

A 484, additional

If the natural weapons are being used as part of a full attack routine which includes the longspear, they would be treated as secondary natural attacks (at -5 each, or -2 with the Multiattack feat).

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

12. - Top - End - #972
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 485

The months in the Forgotten Realms are divided into three tendays. Are there names for the individual days in a tenday?

13. - Top - End - #973
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 485 No.

From Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, page 76:
    Ten days comprise a Faerunian week, also known as a tenday or, less commonly, a ride. The individual days of the tenday do not have names. Instead, they're referred to by number: first-day, second-day, and so on.

14. - Top - End - #974
    Ogre in the Playground

Q486
    Have un-updated 3.0 Psionics materials been explicitly banned by the 3.5 system revision?

15. - Top - End - #975
    Ogre in the Playground

Q487
    If you take Ascetic Psion* and Taslatora* on the same character, do you get to stack your psion level to your monk bonus to AC twice?

* Which allows a character to stack their Psion level to their monk levels for the AC bonus.

**The same as Ascetic Psion but doesn't specify which Psionic class.
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.

16. - Top - End - #976
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q488

I'm not positive this is the right place to ask this, but I cannot find anywhere better so:
    I am a DnD beginner who has never played even a single session. I was planning to buy the core books for v3.5, but came across this article on the Wotc site: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35 Is the information here enough to play a game of 3.5 DnD, or do I need to find the actual core books somewhere?

17. - Top - End - #977
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 487 No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascetic Psion
    If you have levels in psion and monk, those levels stack for the purpose of determining your AC bonus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tashalatora
    Your levels in the psionic class you selected for Monastic Training stack with your monk levels to determine your AC bonus.
    Each of these feats, if chosen with Psion as your psionic class, provides the same benefit (the same alteration to the AC Bonus computation). There is no language in either feat allowing additions from other feats, so you will receive no additional benefit from taking more than one of these.

A 488 Maybe.

The book information which isn't available in the SRD includes the starting budget for each class, and the XP requirements to advance to each level. If your DM provides the budget to be used for character creation in their game, and you don't advance beyond your initial level, you'll be able to play the game.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-07-18 at 06:22 PM.

18. - Top - End - #978
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Q489 Are the costs of libraries given in any source book? (To own one, not to use one.)
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

19. - Top - End - #979
    Ogre in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

I've got a whole slew of questions, but each idividual one is a simple RAW question, so here goes:

Q490
    The Swordsage class feature, discipline focus, grants you "the benefit of the Weapon Focus feat for weapons associates with the chose discipline."

Q490a Does this count as having the Weapon Focus feat with each weapon for the purpose of prerequisites?

Q490b Does this stack with the normal Weapon Focus feat for the same weapon?

Q491
    Iaijutsu focus says, "if you attack a flat-footed opponent immediately after drawing a melee weapon..."

Q491a Would drawing, then throwing, a dagger allow you to apply Iaijutsu Focus' bonus damage to the roll, since it is a melee weapon and a thrown weapon?

Q492
    The palm throw ability of the Master Thrower says, "the master thrower does not apply her Strength bonus to either damage roll," and it has been given errata to make it a volley attack.

The Deadeye feat (Dragon Compendium) adds dex to damage with ranged weapons, but "does not increase the damage dealt to creatures immune to critical hits."

Hit-and-Run Fighter (DotU) allows you to "add your Dexterity bonus (if any) as a competence bonus on weapon damage rolls."

Targeteer Fighter (Dragon 310) allows you to "add [your] dexterity modifier to [your] damage rolls with a ranged weapon attack instead of [your] strength bonus."

Q492a Does the damage from Deadeye count as precision damage for the purpose of volley rules?

Q492b Does Hit-and-Run Fighter allow you to add Dex to both thrown weapons since it is bonus, non-precision damage?

Q492c Since Targeteer Fighter replaces your Str bonus with Dex, does this add to the damage dealt by palm throw?

Q492d Assuming 491a works, would Iaijutsu Focus' damage add to both thrown weapons when using palm throw, since it is not precision damage?

If this is too much I will be happy to delete this and make a new thread for it.
    Last edited by Elric VIII; 2012-07-19 at 12:28 AM.

20. - Top - End - #980
    Ettin in the Playground

A 489

I'm pretty sure there are prices for rooms with bookshelves in the stronghold builder's Guidebook. It's 3.0 though.

A 490

a) Yes

b) No, weapon focus does not stack with itself

21. - Top - End - #981
    Ogre in the Playground

A488
    You can play Dnd with just the information there, but this website has the same information with better organisation.
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.

22. - Top - End - #982
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 491 No.

A dagger can be a melee weapon or a ranged weapon, but not both at the same time. If you draw a dagger and throw it, you've drawn a ranged weapon rather than a melee weapon.

23. - Top - End - #983
    Troll in the Playground

A 488 additional

The book information which isn't available in the SRD includes the starting budget for each class, and the XP requirements to advance to each level. If your DM provides the budget to be used for character creation in their game, and you don't advance beyond your initial level, you'll be able to play the game.
    This site has the SRD in a possibly more convenient format:

http://www.d20srd.org/

And as for XP, I will just give you this rule of thumb which always works: to advance from effective character level N to ECL N+1, you need to gain another N*1000 XP beyond the last level-up point.
    Last edited by Flame of Anor; 2012-07-19 at 01:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

24. - Top - End - #984
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Q 489, Followup

I was asking about the value of the collection, not the space itself. Sorry to be unclear.

Like is there a rule of thumb, "In order to find answers to DC X Knowledge questions, a library should have value V(X)", or some other guideline?
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

25. - Top - End - #985
    Titan in the Playground

Q 492

Weird one: is there any in-game mention of a skill related to being a Puppeteer? If not, would the ability to be skilled at operating a puppet be better defined as Perform (puppetry) or Profession (puppeteer)?

26. - Top - End - #986
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 489, Followup

Yes, there is a correlation between the value of your book collections and the bonuses to Knowledge checks. See page 25 of Stronghold Builder's Guide for the details (not Open Game Content).

27. - Top - End - #987
    Banned

A 491 No.

A dagger can be a melee weapon or a ranged weapon, but not both at the same time. If you draw a dagger and throw it, you've drawn a ranged weapon rather than a melee weapon.
    This implies that when you've drawn the dagger but not yet attacked with it, it is in a state of quantum superposition as both having and not having been a melee weapon at the time you drew it. I feel certain there is some way of abusing this.....

28. - Top - End - #988
    Ogre in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

A 491 No.

Okay, so I need to get TWF and Quickdraw. Draw one dagger, and throw the one in my other hand, alternating each attack. Would that work?

29. - Top - End - #989
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Elric VIII View Post
    Okay, so I need to get TWF and Quickdraw. Draw one dagger, and throw the one in my other hand, alternating each attack. Would that work?
    No, not unless you actually made melee attacks before throwing. A delay between drawing a ranged weapon and throwing it doesn't improve your qualification for Iaijutsu Focus.

30. - Top - End - #990
    Banned

A 492
    I don't think there's a way of answering this officially, but my opinion would be that it makes much more sense to use the Perform (even if the idea of a bard with Bardic Puppetry is extremely strange), since Perform skills are based on Charisma while Professions use Wisdom. Profession (puppeteer) might be appropriate for utilitarian puppetry and more mechanical tasks associated with it, such as ensuring that the wires of a marionette don't get tangled or regluing the googly eyes on a sock puppet (nevermind where peasants in a quasimedieval setting would acquire either googly eyes or socks). However with no Charisma involved in the check, the result would almost certainly be rather uninspired, and I can think of very few explanations as to how you would earn money with a weekly check for Profession: Puppeteer without having to impress an audience with the dramatic or comedic quality of your performance.

Perhaps the closest thing to a "utilitarian" form of puppetry would be the traditional shadow-puppets of Thailand or Bali or wherever it was, but even those are a storytelling tool, though the stories are often repeated from old legends as much as they are acted out and thus you could make an argument for using Wisdom with them. The other distinction between these skills is that Perform checks can be made untrained while Profession ones cannot; anyone can pick up a puppet and put on a little show, so demanding special training to use the skill seems wrong, and this is another point in favor of using Perform (again, a highly traditional cultural puppet show might be an exception, since I can totally imagine that an Indochinese-flavored culture might have priests who act out the sagas with shadow puppets, and thus have to study the sagas, just as they would learn the medicinal applications of coconut oil or the secret to killing a pennangallan).

Q493
    Have rules ever been provided (I'd accept 3rd party at least for the sake of mentioning it, though probably not using it) which allow for damage or debilitating conditions (poison, disease, etc.) to inflict injuries which hamper your capabilities in specified ways? For example, modifications to the falling rules whereby a fall might break your leg and reduce your movement speed, or a disease which scars your stomach lining so that your ability to Fortitude Save against ingested poisons is decreased, or any number of similar such rules that add greater realism? I realize this is absurdly broad, so answering simply "see here for suggested further reading" is fine.
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-07-19 at 10:09 AM.