New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 90 of 91 FirstFirst ... 4065808182838485868788899091 LastLast
Results 2,671 to 2,700 of 2721
  1. - Top - End - #2671
    Banned

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

{Scrubbed}

(And I knew that about Explosive Runes, I was just pointing out what would happen if reading a spell in a spellbook activated it.)
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2012-11-13 at 10:48 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2672
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Ah, good point. In that case, another one of those "I probably shouldn't have to ask" questions: Why did they have each Manual list the spells it contains individually, instead of simply saying once "A golem manual removes the need to know all spells involved in creating the appropriate golem?"
    Look willpell, we're not mind readers. We're not the game designers. The game designers do not (as far as I know) come to this forum to answer our questions. They had their own forum for that, but it's devoted to newer editions of D&D now. We don't know why the game designers chose to write something the way they did unless they came out someplace and told us, which would be a heck of a thing to track down now if it even ever existed.

All we can do here is to examine and interpret what the books tell us. "Why" is a question best left to philosophers.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

3. - Top - End - #2673
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, good point. In that case, another one of those "I probably shouldn't have to ask" questions: Why did they have each Manual list the spells it contains individually, instead of simply saying once "A golem manual removes the need to know all spells involved in creating the appropriate golem?"
    Because WOTC liked to redundantly list things? It gave them another chance to mess up?

Incidentally, even with errata, the DMG still messed up the Clay golem manual. Clay golem construction does not require bless (prayer was removed from the manual). Stone and Iron golem construction pre-reqs, spell descriptions in the manual, and pre-reqs to make the manuals are screwed up too.

But that is not a RAW answer.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

4. - Top - End - #2674
    Firbolg in the Playground

Anyway, getting back on topic:

Q1313

If a character casts a spell that requires a ranged attack (such as Melf's Acid Arrow) while in in an opponent's threatened area, do they provoke two attacks of opportunity - one for casting a spell, and another for making a ranged attack while threatened?

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

5. - Top - End - #2675
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1313 Yes.

These are separate provocations. You can remove the first provocation by casting on the defensive, but you'll still provoke for the ranged attack.

6. - Top - End - #2676
    Titan in the Playground

q1314 If a Warforged who has Belt of Giant Strength as an embedded component uses a spell such as Polymorph to change into a humanoid (the body type, not the type) form such as a Troll, would the belt continue to function or would it be treated as being melded into the new form and thus inactive?
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

7. - Top - End - #2677
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 1315

What happens if a Gargantuan creature uses an ability that has a five-foot radius centered on himself? Does it extend five feet out from the 4x4 space around him, or is the area subsumed by the creature?

8. - Top - End - #2678

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 1313 Yes.

These are separate provocations. You can remove the first provocation by casting on the defensive, but you'll still provoke for the ranged attack.
    Q1313(B)

If the second AoO hits and deals damage, does it still have a chance to disrupt the spell?

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

9. - Top - End - #2679
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1313 B No.

There's only one provocation for casting the spell; if you survive that the
    spellcasting can't be disrupted later.

A 1314

Embedded components are part of the Warforged's body. When they magically assume a new form they lose any effects dependent on their original body, including magical parts and grafts.

A 1315

All spell effects, including those centered on a creature, arise from a grid intersection. A spellcaster can pick any grid intersection a creature touches at casting. If they pick the "northeast corner" of the creature, that relative position of the spell effect center remains when the creature moves. See the appendix of Dungeon Master's Guide (pages 305-307) for spell effect templates. An area effect spell doesn't affect more just because you cast it on a bigger creature; it always covers exactly the area specified.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-11-10 at 08:51 PM.

10. - Top - End - #2680

NecromancerGuy

Q1316

Is a Necropolitan Dragonborn viable by the RAW?
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #2681
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1316 Yes.

There's no problem if the character undergoes the Rite of Rebirth and then gains a level before acquiring the Necropolitan template.

12. - Top - End - #2682
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    All we can do here is to examine and interpret what the books tell us. "Why" is a question best left to philosophers.
    {Scrubbed}

Quote Originally Posted by mattie_p View Post
    Incidentally, even with errata, the DMG still messed up the Clay golem manual. Clay golem construction does not require bless (prayer was removed from the manual). Stone and Iron golem construction pre-reqs, spell descriptions in the manual, and pre-reqs to make the manuals are screwed up too.
    Is the version in the SRD corrected? If not, can the errata be found somewhere?
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2012-11-13 at 10:50 PM.

13. - Top - End - #2683
    Ogre in the Playground

Is the version in the SRD corrected? If not, can the errata be found somewhere?
    Moving to the dysfunctional rules thread
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

14. - Top - End - #2684
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 1317

Who gets a saving throw against a silence spell? Only the targeted creature or anyone within the emanation? If all creatures get one, what happens if one save succeeds? Is the whole spell negated or is only the creature not affected?

Q 1318

Is there a way to get dark invocations and the casting of a 17th level wizard before epic?

Q 1319

How about dark invocations and 17th level cleric casting, without going Urpriest?

Q 1320

What weapons have reach, are allowed to attack adjacent squares and allow to trip?

Q 1321

Can you tumble during a charge to avoid AoOs? What about the jumping part of a leap attack?
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2012-11-11 at 08:48 AM.

15. - Top - End - #2685
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 1322

Does a dancing weapon gain STR bonuses to attack and damage? The property doesn't seem to allow it, but that would make it a fairly weak property.

16. - Top - End - #2686
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1317
    Quote Originally Posted by Silence
    Area: 20-ft.-radius emanation centered on a creature, object, or point in space

Items in a creature’s possession or magic items that emit sound receive the benefits of saves and spell resistance, but unattended objects and points in space do not.
    The target of a Silence spell receives a saving throw if is a creature, an attended object, or a magic item that emits sound. If the target succeeds the spell is negated. There are no other saving throws.

A 1320

The spiked chain (Player's Handbook, pages 115, 117, & 119) and the kusari-gama (Dungeon Master's Guide, pages 144-145).

A 1321 Yes.

You can Tumble with any normal movement (i.e., a motive form for which you have a listed speed). Note that Tumble penalties apply depending on your speed, and reducing speed will hinder your charge and make it invalid. If the total distance you move during your charge is half your speed or less there is no penalty; moving up to your full speed imposes a -10 Accelerated Tumbling penalty; and moving faster than that imposes a -20 Sprinting Tumble penalty. When using Leap Attack your charge will be foiled if you don't succeed on both your Jump and Tumble checks.

A 1322 No.
    In all other respects, it is considered wielded or attended by the creature for all maneuvers and effects that target items.
    Adding a Strength bonus is not a maneuver or an effect that targets items. You get just what's listed in the Dancing enhancement description.

17. - Top - End - #2687
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Q1323

I'm multiclassing an Oriental Adventures Shaman and Monk for a Sacred Fist build. Shamans get their own slightly weaker unarmed strike damage progression according to the 3.5 Update and I'm wondering if unarmed strike damage increases from multiple classes stack in any way or do I just take the higher unarmed strike damage from either class?

18. - Top - End - #2688
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Q 1324

I am facing a creature inside an antimagic field. The creature is large (10 ft. space) and I have reach 10 ft. The AMF is only the space occupied by the creature and I am 10 ft. from the creature, so I can make a full attack. If I have magic weapons, do their enchantments work? Or they become just normal weapons? Sorry for my bad english, I hope you can understand what I wrote :)

19. - Top - End - #2689
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1323

Without explicit stacking language, you roll the damage dice for each class's unarmed strike and take the higher of the two results.

A 1324 Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Melnir View Post
    I am facing a creature inside an antimagic field. The creature is large (10 ft. space) and I have reach 10 ft. The AMF is only the space occupied by the creature and I am 10 ft. from the creature, so I can make a full attack.
    The highlighted statement cannot be true. A Large (10'x10' space) creature occupies 4 squares. A 10' radius magic effect covers 12 squares (see Dungeon Master's Guide, page 307). Also if you are separated from that Large creature by 10' of empty space with 10' reach you cannot attack them; you can only reach spaces adjacent to you or with a 5' empty space separating you.

That said, the other parts of the scenario can work if you are separated from the Large creature by 5' of empty space. You would be able to reach some of the creature's squares inside the Antimagic Field, while being outside the AMF yourself. With a melee attack the position of the attacker is where the attack is adjudicated, so you would receive the magical benefits of your weapon. It would be another story with missile attacks, because those are adjudicated in the defender's position.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-11-11 at 06:03 PM.

20. - Top - End - #2690
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Q 1325
    Quote Originally Posted by Use Magic Device
    Emulate a Class Feature: Sometimes you need to use a class feature to activate a magic item. In this case, your effective level in the emulated class equals your Use Magic Device check result minus 20. This skill does not let you actually use the class feature of another class.
    Quote Originally Posted by Staff Description
    Staffs use the wielder’s ability score and relevant feats to set the DC for saves against their spells. Unlike with other sorts of magic items, the wielder can use his caster level when activating the power of a staff if it’s higher than the caster level of the staff.
    Can UMD be used to simulate a spellcasting class's CL when activating a staff?
    For example, a non-caster such as a rogue uses Use Magic Device to activate a Staff of Fire. Would he be able to attempt a DC 30 UMD check to cast Fireball from the staff as a 10th-level sorcerer, rather than casting it at the staff's base caster level of 8?

Q 1325 B
    If so, would he make the normal DC 20 UMD check to activate the staff, followed the DC 30 check to attempt to use it at CL 10? Or would he only make the DC 30 check, as simulating the spellcasting ability of a 10th-level sorcerer would mean that he is treated as having access to the sor/wiz spell list?
    Last edited by Vaern; 2012-11-11 at 11:48 PM.

21. - Top - End - #2691
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1325 No.

The reason for this answer is that there is no class feature you need to emulate in order to activate a staff. Absent that need, you never have a chance to make that UMD check.

What you need to activate a spell from a staff is the following:
    • knowledge of the spell contained therein
    • a successful Use a Wand check
    Alternatively, if you do not know what spell(s) are contained in the staff, you can try Activate Blindly and maybe you'll get lucky.

22. - Top - End - #2692
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

A 1325 Dispute
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    What you need to activate a spell from a staff is the following:
    • knowledge of the spell contained therein
    • a successful Use a Wand check
    You don't need to know the spell. It only needs to be on your class spell list in order to activate a wand or staff without a check. As I said before, using the emulate class feature option to emulate a a class's spellcasting ability would treat you as having their spell list with a DC of 20 (giving you an effective caster level of 0). You would be able to activate a wand or staff, with the same DC as activating a wand or staff normally.
    Is there really any reason that I could not use that option in lieu of the "Use a Wand" option, besides the fact that the "Use a Wand" option exists?
    Last edited by Vaern; 2012-11-12 at 02:07 AM.

23. - Top - End - #2693
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sorry to spam the same question, but I would like some sort of answer:

Q 1326

Is the bonus damage from Warmage Edge doubled on a crit?
    Rules that supersede Rule 0:

Rule -1: You're all there to have fun. The GM and the players should never do anything that would limit people's fun, for any in-game or real-life reason.

Rule -0.5 (corollary): That means that if someone's fun is getting in the way of other people's fun, that person needs to change how they're playing.

24. - Top - End - #2694
    Ettin in the Playground

A 1326

Yes, only extra damage dice are not multilpied on a crit.

25. - Top - End - #2695
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Q 1327: When does a creature called by the spell gate during a fight gets its first action?

26. - Top - End - #2696
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1325 Dispute Rebuttal
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaern View Post
    You don't need to know the spell. It only needs to be on your class spell list in order to activate a wand or staff without a check.
    Let's just step through the RAW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Use Magic Device
    Use a Wand

Normally, to use a wand, you must have the wand’s spell on your class spell list. This use of the skill allows you to use a wand as if you had a particular spell on your class spell list. This use of the skill also applies to other spell trigger magic items, such as staffs.
    So Use Magic Device establishes that Use a Wand will enable you to use a staff just as if you had the contained spell on your class list. So we're directed to the RAW for that:
    Spell Trigger

Spell trigger activation is similar to spell completion, but it’s even simpler. No gestures or spell finishing is needed, just a special knowledge of spellcasting that an appropriate character would know, and a single word that must be spoken. Anyone with a spell on his or her spell list knows how to use a spell trigger item that stores that spell. (This is the case even for a character who can’t actually cast spells, such as a 3rd-level paladin.) The user must still determine what spell is stored in the item before she can activate it. Activating a spell trigger item is a standard action and does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

27. - Top - End - #2697
    Ettin in the Playground

I think Vaern interpreted "knowledge of the spell contained therein" as meaning having the spell on the list of known spells for the user. This indeed is unnecessary. You do need to which spell(s) the staff has available however.

28. - Top - End - #2698
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q 1328

Without Precise Shot, I get a -4 penalty when shooting an enemy engaged in melee with a friendly character. What happens when I don't want to take that penalty? That I don't care about the well-being of my "ally". Or in general, is there a chance that I hit someone with a ranged attack other than my intended target, if so what are the rules governing that?

29. - Top - End - #2699
    Ettin in the Playground

A 1328

It is impossible to refuse that penalty and it is also impossible to hit anyone but the intended target with a ranged attack.

30. - Top - End - #2700
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Planar View Post
    Q 1328

Without Precise Shot, I get a -4 penalty when shooting an enemy engaged in melee with a friendly character. What happens when I don't want to take that penalty? That I don't care about the well-being of my "ally". Or in general, is there a chance that I hit someone with a ranged attack other than my intended target, if so what are the rules governing that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    A 1328

It is impossible to refuse that penalty and it is also impossible to hit anyone but the intended target with a ranged attack.
    Feel free to try and get a DM house-ruling to the contrary; the rules really aren't written on the assumption that a party will have friendly fire, so this penalty is baked into the rules, but it clearly doesn't make sense for evil PCs or the like who are content to shoot their buddy in the back.