New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1474

Thread: Touhou

1. - Top - End - #1441
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Touhou

Quote Originally Posted by Associate View Post
    I'd probably get my behind handed to me on a silver platter, but I'd be all over a GitP-EU Soku tournament. I'm currently working my way up from Easy to Lunatic as I practice Yukari, but I've yet to master any combos besides 5AAA or 623C/B into (Charming) Quad Barrier. I don't suppose there happen to be any European Yukari players here?

Also, I notice there are... three posters on this page without a Touhou avatar. Three of Prime's EoSD avatars are unclaimed. Hmm...
    Not a Yukari player, but I'll try and suggest some things. You've mentioned both 5AAAA or 623B into a card, but why not try 5AAAA and 623B? In the corner, 5AAAA-6A-623B works. 3A-623B works as well, at anywhere on the screen it seems. They have to be reasonably close to you after the 3A launch though (about at the edge of Yukari's dress when she's crouching). You can also use 3A-236B (you can also use f.5-3A-236B if they're far enough for the f.5). Extending your 623C-CQB, you can add a 66B to the beginning for rushing someone (end result: 66B-623C-CQB). Other spellcards, like Shikigami Ran and regular Quadruple Barrier, can be used as finishers as well. If you feel like camping, 5C is effective at draining shields if they choose to block. For the most part, any of the combos I mentioned that don't start with 5A can have the first couple hits of it added on and will still work.

Anyway, I'm flattered that I count 3 times, but each of those posts (on that page anyway) was from me. If anything, I'd rather wait until a Youmu one comes out. Of course, to any of the avatar makers, don't feel obligated to make one.
    Last edited by EifieFlare; 2011-03-04 at 03:11 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Dwarf in the Playground

I count four actually, leaving out Prime - Inc, Cog, you, and ninja_penguin.

Well, it's not that I don't know any other combos - it's just those two are the ones I've practiced enough to be able to pull them of with some regularity. Punching 623 into a netbook keyboard is hard. Maybe I really should get one of those gamepads... I've also been trying that 5AAA-5B-5C-623B combo, but I can't seem to manage to get the last off in time for it to combo. Of course, gameplay isn't just stringing together combos.

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Associate View Post
    I count four actually, leaving out Prime - Inc, Cog, you, and ninja_penguin.

Well, it's not that I don't know any other combos - it's just those two are the ones I've practiced enough to be able to pull them of with some regularity. Punching 623 into a netbook keyboard is hard. Maybe I really should get one of those gamepads... I've also been trying that 5AAA-5B-5C-623B combo, but I can't seem to manage to get the last off in time for it to combo. Of course, gameplay isn't just stringing together combos.
    Oh ha, I misinterpreted your statement as "3 people without avatars." Whoops.

I think the speed will come with practice. When I first played, I couldn't really connect any skill cards to anything. Your hands just get faster and muscle memory kicks in as you get more used to punching in the combination I guess.

What's the range for that combo? I had to resort to 623C at midscreen because 5B-5C push the character too far for the B version to possibly connect. Using 623B works, but I was limited to using it near the corner.
    Edit: Actually, I think you're supposed to use the C version; there's really no way for B to reach far enough when not against the wall. That's what's listed on that wiki anyway.

And now you've gotten me too interested. I haven't actually tried connecting to anyone yet, but trying to see how bad the lag really is can't hurt. Anyone up for some Soku?
    Last edited by EifieFlare; 2011-03-04 at 04:02 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Dwarf in the Playground

I suppose I misremembered the exact combination, then. That does make sense.

As for netplay, I'm going to bed soon, but I'll have time tomorrow.

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, my avatar is a slow change over time from the original picture I made on that flash thing that makes goofy looking Touhous.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2..."

"It all seemed harmless..."

Character Roster:

Ami Nakamura - Self Taught Sorceress [Sacramento Occult]

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Barbarian in the Playground

ninja_penguin is talking about Walfas if anyone is curious.

Also, is it just me, or is UFO's extra stage just plain evil? The stage in of itself is a pain, but trying to catch UFOs(and the fact that it seems to almost force you to go for mixed UFOs, something I never did playing through the game) to stockpile the much needed bombs/lives for Nue just gets me killed. And keep in mind, that I just breezed though MoF's extra stage on, what, my fifth, sixth, attempt with two lives left. It doesn't help that I've just come from a game where bombs are easily replenishable, to a game where they aren't, which also happens to have not one, but two bomb-or-you-just-plain-die cards. Gah. Halp plz.

7. - Top - End - #1447

Create.swf is an amazing time waster if you just create characters for RP/'Touhou-ized' people from RL/Stories.

8. - Top - End - #1448

That is a pretty cool program, and I can certainly see how it could be a great murderer of time. So, stupid question but... how do you save the images/scenes you make to your computer?
    Ponified Remilia avatar by Kurien.
    Quote Originally Posted by BayardSPSR View Post
    Do you have 'craft: disturbing mental image' as a class skill?
    Attempt at converting the characters of Touhou to the world of D&D 3.5: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181050

Attempt at converting Berserk characters to 3.5: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186155

Attempt at converting Geralt of Rivia to 3.5:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208270

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet-Devil View Post
    That is a pretty cool program, and I can certainly see how it could be a great murderer of time. So, stupid question but... how do you save the images/scenes you make to your computer?
    Printscreen?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drager0 View Post
    MY LIFE IS RUINED FOREVER AND IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF YOU, VOLATAR!!!!
    My Twitter
    Awesome Yukari avatar by memnarch.

10. - Top - End - #1450

I just use printscreen as well.

11. - Top - End - #1451

Same. Then later I went and traced over things in Inkscape so I had something moveable.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2..."

Character Roster:

12. - Top - End - #1452

Ehh? You serious? Not posting? How lame! Only little kids don't post! Kyahahaha!
    A cookie for the first person to get the reference.

Found this on danbooru(Note: Miscast_Mage will not be held responsible for loss of time, sanity, and/or purity as a result of searching for danbooru or any works located within it); a disgustingly cute comic involving our little gun-bunny Reisen as the mother of Kaguya, Eirin and Tewi. It's just so, gah, so kyuuuuute~ I literally cannot stop smiling after reading through it. Really, trust a Touhou doujinshi to weaponise cuteness.

13. - Top - End - #1453
    Firbolg in the Playground

Oh god, japan had weaponized cute...

Anyway, talking about SWR and Hisoutensoku made me tried that game again after some time. I'm going to try to beat the story mode by everyone in normal difficulty first. I'm surprised that I can beat the game in one try with reimu, marisa, yukari, and patchy so far.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

14. - Top - End - #1454

Actually, about the fighting games, how in Hextor's name do you do combos like down-forward-diagonal? I can get moves like down-diagonal-forward or vice-versa easily, just 'cause there's a kind of flow to them, but these just make me arghlebzgackpthle I only ever get them when randomly mashing buttons, bleh.

Oh, and in Suika's scenario in IaMP, how do you not die horribly to Reimu's Untitled: "Flying Mysterious Shrine Maiden"? It. Is. Plain. Evil.

Aaand three for a hat-trick: Are there any major differences from IaMP to SWR/Hitsoutensoku? I'm planning on trying them soon, and I don't want any nasty suprises. The only thing I know of is the weather system, but apart from that...

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Ogre in the Playground

For combo's like down-forward diagonal, it might be easier to use a number pad, as 1,3,7, and 9 serve as those movements. That or press two directional arrows at the same time.

One difference between IaMP and SWR/Hitsoutensoku is that there are more spellcards active and you can create a deck of 20 cards, which can be shuffled so that you can choose which special move you use. There is also a masochistic celestial that you will be facing in most of the story scenarios.
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    Actually, about the fighting games, how in Hextor's name do you do combos like down-forward-diagonal? I can get moves like down-diagonal-forward or vice-versa easily, just 'cause there's a kind of flow to them, but these just make me arghlebzgackpthle I only ever get them when randomly mashing buttons, bleh.
    Simple, ignore the diagonals. Instead, it becomes, say, down-forward or down-back. The only ones you need to know by Hisoutensoku are down-down, down-forward, down-back, back-down-back and forward-down-forward. Most characters lack one of the above.

Oh, and in Suika's scenario in IaMP, how do you not die horribly to Reimu's Untitled: "Flying Mysterious Shrine Maiden"? It. Is. Plain. Evil.
    Been ages, but I don't remember it being worse than Suika's last spell. Spam projectiles, stock up all your super moves to slaughter her as soon as she starts the spellcard. Don't forget to block/dash.

Aaand three for a hat-trick: Are there any major differences from IaMP to SWR/Hitsoutensoku? I'm planning on trying them soon, and I don't want any nasty suprises. The only thing I know of is the weather system, but apart from that...
    That's funny. You're funny.

The above was the result of combining maniacal laughter with considerable restraint. I hope you appreciate the effort involved

Let's see... SWR makes big changes. Weather, expanded moveset. The spellcard system? Overhauled completely. You don't have the stock system and first/second cards any more. Instead, whenever you fire a projectile, take damage or land any attack, one of your five card slots charges up. Once the bar in the card slot fills completely, you draw a card. You can hold up to five at a time, and activate them with a key assigned for the purpose, using another key to change which one you have selected.

There are three kinds of cards. System cards are shared by all characters, and have minor effects. Refill your spirit gauge, teleport a short distance, draw two cards, heal a bit, whatever. Skill cards are character-specific, and do one of two things.

Imagine that there are slots for a character's move. Say, down-forward-projectile. There is a default move that occupies this slot, and two others that you can switch to. Use the skillcard for a move, and it occupies the slot instead of the move that was already there. If you use a card for the same skill as you already had "equipped", it powers the move up instead, to a maximum of 3 times.

Then you have spell cards. These are your big flashy effects: Buffs, healing, blowing everything up forever etc. They each have a cost, between 1 and 5. That cost is how many cards it will use. For instance, say you have a 3-cost card, and five in hand. The card will, when activated, remove both itself and two cards after it from your hand. If you had two cards in hand, you couldn't activate the 3-cost, and so on.

Also, the system for attacks is made more intuitive in SWR. Two projectile keys, one melee, regardless of distance.

That's... about it, I think. Hisoutensoku adds 5 more characters, 3 more story modes, balance fixes, a couple stages, more music, and more spellcards. Seriously, get it. Bestest fighting game.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin89 View Post
    Snip
    You and your ninja summaries.
    Last edited by Cogwheel; 2011-03-07 at 08:30 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Firbolg in the Playground

just do down-forward-down. But I think you meant forward-down-diagonal (the classic shoryuuken move, which you do by pressing forward down forward)
    Last edited by Fri; 2011-03-07 at 10:30 AM.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

18. - Top - End - #1458

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Simple, ignore the diagonals. Instead, it becomes, say, down-forward or down-back. The only ones you need to know by Hisoutensoku are down-down, down-forward, down-back, back-down-back and forward-down-forward. Most characters lack one of the above.
    Aah~ha I think I get it now. Cheers for that.

Been ages, but I don't remember it being worse than Suika's last spell. Spam projectiles, stock up all your super moves to slaughter her as soon as she starts the spellcard. Don't forget to block/dash.
    It is worse than Suikas. Suikas was easy after the 3rd or 4th playthrough. Reimu's is the phantasm version of Suika's. Also, Suikas only super that seems to be able to hit her is her giant growth one which I hate. Another part of what I'm finding so difficult: Suikas air/jumping projectiles seem a bit weak for the job as well. If I had access to something like Patchy's A I could spam that to high heaven.

*Ker-snipped the rest*
    Eep. That is quite an overhaul. Still, the changes sound good, so I'm sure I'll love it. At least I've got a warning of the changes now as well.

19. - Top - End - #1459
    Troll in the Playground

Aah~ha I think I get it now. Cheers for that.
    No problem.

It is worse than Suikas. Suikas was easy after the 3rd or 4th playthrough. Reimu's is the phantasm version of Suika's. Also, Suikas only super that seems to be able to hit her is her giant growth one which I hate. Another part of what I'm finding so difficult: Suikas air/jumping projectiles seem a bit weak for the job as well. If I had access to something like Patchy's A I could spam that to high heaven.
    Well, let's see... Missing Power is one of three. Each character has three spellcards, after all. The chain one is worthless. MP hits point blank and above her. So if you're directly below Reimu when she starts floating, Reimu is very, very dead. Alternatively, you can drag out Suika's other spellcard and chuck rocks at her.

I can't recall quite what projectiles IaMP Suika has, but she should at least have that one that flies a decent distance and explodes. Somewhat fireworks-esque. That, against a stationary or near-stationary target, can hit ridiculously hard. The crouching version throws it forward and up. Rather good for chipping at a boss's health, I find.

Eep. That is quite an overhaul. Still, the changes sound good, so I'm sure I'll love it. At least I've got a warning of the changes now as well.
    Yep! It's a spiritual successor at best, since it's really a completely different game with different ideas. I find it to be much better, though. I forgot to mention earlier that you collect cards (or get a save file with all of them) and can edit the deck of each character, up to four decks per character per profile. So yes, you can customize characters. Big time.

Personally, I suggest you get SWR, finish the various story modes (partly so all characters are unlocked), then add Hisoutensoku in (it's pretty much an expansion) and start playing that. A full roster of the available characters, in case you're curious:

Reimu, Marisa, Alice, Sakuya, Remilia, Youmu, Yuyuko, Patchouli, Yukari, Suika, Komachi, Aya, Reisen, Iku and Tenshi (the last two, in case you're not familiar with them, are from SWR. The Yukari and Suika of that game, essentially).

Hisoutensoku adds Cirno, Utsuho, Suwako, Sanae and Meiling. Meiling, in this version, is hard to use and far from the best, but not actually a joke character.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

20. - Top - End - #1460
    Orc in the Playground

For all those with newfound/renewed interest in Soku: Do also note that Soku supports Netplay! Of course, it's relatively terrible Netplay, but it's still Netplay!

21. - Top - End - #1461
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EifieFlare View Post
    For all those with newfound/renewed interest in Soku: Do also note that Soku supports Netplay! Of course, it's relatively terrible Netplay, but it's still Netplay!

Oh, right. This. Just don't expect it to work against anyone who is not in the same country. For the US, you may even need to be in similar parts of the country, I don't know.

Also: Even post-patch, Suika and Yuyuko are somewhat overpowered. Now excuse me while I go back to playing Suika and Patchouli while feeling vaguely terrible about doing so
    Last edited by Cogwheel; 2011-03-07 at 03:39 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

22. - Top - End - #1462
    Orc in the Playground

Oh, right. This. Just don't expect it to work against anyone who is not in the same country. For the US, you may even need to be in similar parts of the country, I don't know.

Also: Even post-patch, Suika and Yuyuko are somewhat overpowered. Now excuse me while I go back to playing Suika and Patchouli while feeling vaguely terrible about doing so
    For reference, we've all pretty much agreed that Europe's got its own sort of Soku community, the US has its own group, and...I'm not sure what's going on between Japan and Australia. Haven't personally tried any international games myself, but that's what I've heard.

Yuyuko's not so much overpowered as just really good at creating walls and walls of projectiles that people have to wade through. Same thing with Patchouli, whose main strength is projectiles. But yes, Suika is indeed overpowered (a quarter of your life bar with the basic A combo, what). Youmu and Iku are apparently pretty broken as well.

23. - Top - End - #1463
    Troll in the Playground

For reference, we've all pretty much agreed that Europe's got its own sort of Soku community, the US has its own group, and...I'm not sure what's going on between Japan and Australia. Haven't personally tried any international games myself, but that's what I've heard.

Yuyuko's not so much overpowered as just really good at creating walls and walls of projectiles that people have to wade through. Same thing with Patchouli, whose main strength is projectiles. But yes, Suika is indeed overpowered (a quarter of your life bar with the basic A combo, what). Youmu and Iku are apparently pretty broken as well.
    Yuyuko's widely agreed to be the most powerful character, I think. Can't imagine why Youmu and Iku would be broken. Most of Yuyuko's strength is, yes, in projectile walls. That said, she still hits like a freight train if you get to her, and her spellcards are pretty great.

Suika's just a tank that doesn't sacrifice speed for it. Well, except for loooong recovery times. The backdash is pretty great too.

Honestly though, compared to most fighting games, Hisoutensoku seems surprisingly well-balanced to me.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

24. - Top - End - #1464
    Orc in the Playground

Yuyuko's widely agreed to be the most powerful character, I think. Can't imagine why Youmu and Iku would be broken. Most of Yuyuko's strength is, yes, in projectile walls. That said, she still hits like a freight train if you get to her, and her spellcards are pretty great.

Suika's just a tank that doesn't sacrifice speed for it. Well, except for loooong recovery times. The backdash is pretty great too.

Honestly though, compared to most fighting games, Hisoutensoku seems surprisingly well-balanced to me.
    Really? That's pretty interesting (and is obviously news) to me. Maybe it's just because I haven't seen any evidence of Yuyuko being used well, as opposed to all of the videos of "tournament people" doing very well with Suika, Iku, Youmu, Sakuya, etc.

Iku's just got a pretty big range advantage when it comes to melee. I don't know how clothing can be destructive, but she can use it, and it will reach you if you decide to engage in close-range. Her projectile game's also pretty good, especially with her thunderbolt calling skill (an alt 22B/C). Youmu's got the same power as Suika when it comes to combos (basic A + j.5-j.6 = 2.5k), and is one of, if not the, fastest characters in the game (faster than Aya IIRC, which is pretty funny), although her projectile game's a bit lacking. Sakuya's got an absurdly good pressure game, but that's all as far as I've heard; Suika's already been covered.

Soku's balance: Suwako. That is all. But that's why we love it.

25. - Top - End - #1465
    Troll in the Playground

Really? That's pretty interesting (and is obviously news) to me. Maybe it's just because I haven't seen any evidence of Yuyuko being used well, as opposed to all of the videos of "tournament people" doing very well with Suika, Iku, Youmu, Sakuya, etc.

Iku's just got a pretty big range advantage when it comes to melee. I don't know how clothing can be destructive, but she can use it, and it will reach you if you decide to engage in close-range. Her projectile game's also pretty good, especially with her thunderbolt calling skill (an alt 22B/C). Youmu's got the same power as Suika when it comes to combos (basic A + j.5-j.6 = 2.5k), and is one of, if not the, fastest characters in the game (faster than Aya IIRC, which is pretty funny), although her projectile game's a bit lacking. Sakuya's got an absurdly good pressure game, but that's all as far as I've heard; Suika's already been covered.

Soku's balance: Suwako. That is all. But that's why we love it.

Suwako's not bad, per se. Just incomprehensible.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

26. - Top - End - #1466
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Touhou tabletop RPG campaign hasn't completely disapeared, I promise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_In_Tonic View Post
    HATE. LOTS OF HATE. DIRECTED AT YOU, DRIZVOLTA. OH GOD MY MIND.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Well, I think the solution is clear. Don't download Steam if you don't have legs.
    Thank you Prime32 for the Rumia avatar!

27. - Top - End - #1467

Yeah, I'll actually have a brief playtest thread up either tomorrow or Saturday, and then actually recruit after that concludes.
    Spoiler
    Show

Character Roster:

28. - Top - End - #1468

Speaking of which, for those interested.

This is basically me figuring out how the combat works on a pbp medium after a incident or two. Once concluded, We can either port people over, or swap out if people decide they don't care for it.
    Last edited by ninja_penguin; 2011-03-11 at 01:17 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Character Roster:

29. - Top - End - #1469

Since this thread has gotten a little quiet lately, I thought I'd share something I just came across a few minutes ago. Touhou? In my WoW? Seriously, not somewhere I'd expect a touhou reference to pop up.

30. - Top - End - #1470
    Banned

If I remember correctly there is also a trio of goblin exterminators with names similar to Reimu, Marisa and Sanae. Don't hold me to that, though.

In any case, Touhou is huge, so it isn't too surprising to get references to it in WoW.