New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Default Drowtales: The Info Dump

This chapter has had a LOT of surprises in it and many of the mysteries that have been around since the very start of the series are answered.

Spoiler
    Show
    Snad (Snadyha'runes) has been pulling some major tricks. She had one of the other clans that are VERY good with bioenginering make a test tube kid for her. The "father" is Mel'arnach, Ariels real mother. (This Clan has gotten very good at bioenginering so the male of the species is no longer needed for procreation). Snad's kid is much older than Areil and a spoiled brat to boot (as well as probably being a sociopath) being. It's not hard to see Snad's kid trying to kill Ariel at some point in the future. Mel herself is showing that she needs to grow up more. Her emotional maturity is that of a teenager in love. She really does love Snad, but I'm not really sure Snad can feel the emotion.

Meanwhile, Lulianne (Mel's guard) decides to go looking around and gets an a clue (lots of them really) about what other things Snad has been up to. Seems the Tainted are basically doomed. In 20 to 50 years the demon seed in the Tainted will grow and consume the person who is tainted. Only a few people have had the seed "crushed" so it cannot happen to them. For everone else it's demon feeding time. Snad has not only tried to kill her own mother (she thinks she succeded), and killed a great many civilains in the war 16 years ago. She also also doomed a large portion of the cities population to a fate worse than death. Many of those eaten will be her allies and supporters as well. Snad is heading towords genocidal maniac in her plans. I really wonder is that is Diva's kid at this point. Did a demon take her over or something? Demons are about the only ones that would really benifit from this plan Snad has.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Drowtales: The Info Dump

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    This chapter has had a LOT of surprises in it and many of the mysteries that have been around since the very start of the series are answered.
    Yeah, this is madness! Chapter 25 of Drowtales is so full important revealings, some of them only connected to the prologue, which events began 15 years before the main story even starts, that this chapter feels like one big plot-line-dump; It feels, when compared to the normally so slow and steady story progression of DT, really compressed.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Snadyha was for me always the main villain, because.... of her fur and evil gloating. Seriously she's a real Nihilist, even more than I thought she would be. If Shasana's info is correct, she is not only indifferent to the fate of her sisters and her clan, but she really did plan to let most of them die for her own advantage, thus sealing the fate of the Sharen clan.

And Kalki as a friend of Snadyha was for me no real surprise, as the fact that Snadyha is the Nidraa'chal leader, but the reveal that Mel is one parent of Kalki, which makes Kalki a Half-sister of Ariel, is a huge surprise indeed.
    It's really sad for Mel. The one person the likes and trusts with her whole heart is such a bad person behind her mask. Maybe Mel can learn this before it is too late?

P.S: And as a side note. Given the circumstances the Kyrol's point of view doesn't seem to be so crazy anymore, doesn't it?

EDIT: Some typos removed, link added
    Last edited by Hamilkar; 2010-07-16 at 05:07 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilkar View Post
    P.S: And as a side note. Given the circumstances the Kyrol's point of view doesn't seem to be so crazy anymore, doesn't it?
    Not so much I have to admit. And here is a thought. What if Diva keeping the elves underground is not really a way to protect them from demons. Rather it was a way to protect the world from the elves. If you notice Ash goes along with staying underground and she is about as old as Diva (maybe a year or two difference in age). And if anyone wanted to go topside it would be the Dark Elves, since that was where they where born. Thier first homes are on the surface.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

And if anyone wanted to go topside it would be the Dark Elves, since that was where they where born. Thier first homes are on the surface.
    Only that the dark elves do no longer exist. In DT there are now only less than a dozen known Dark Elves present, so who is going to repopulate the overwold then? The top world is populated mainly by humans and orcs, well some light elves seem to have survived too.

The story of the degeneration of Drows might be a clue that they should return to the surface. Like I understood the surface was dangerous to them for a very long time. Now that the land has healed sufficiently a return to the overworld did become suddenly possible for them.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Only that the dark elves do no longer exist. In DT there are now only less than a dozen known Dark Elves present, so who is going to repopulate the overwold then? The top world is populated mainly by humans and orcs, well some light elves seem to have survived too.
    I think you took what I was trying to say the wrong way. I am not talking about the Dark Elves going back as a people, but on an individual basis. Don't you think that Diva would like to see where she grew up again? Or Ash? That is what I am talking about. As a note since the Drow come from Dark Elves as a result of environmental factors, once those factors are removed Drow will have normal Dark Elf decendants.

[QUOTE=Hamilkar;8943645]The story of the degeneration of Drows might be a clue that they should return to the surface. Like I understood the surface was dangerous to them for a very long time. Now that the land has healed sufficiently a return to the overworld did become suddenly possible for them.

True, the Drow COULD go back to the surface, but the old leaders (Diva and Ash) seem to be blocking it and many of the drow do seem to want to stay underground. Ariel does not seem to fall into that group though. She seemed to like it topside.

As for todays page, Holy Sharess' ....errr cleavage (Hey, she is well built ) I guess when Diva said she had been waiting for Shares to come back in the Longest Wait, she meant it literaly. I wonder how many people other than Diva know about this? And golems in dresses.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

I sympathise with Mel, I really do. It's hard not to.

But she's so naieve it's grating.
    Thanks to Andraste for the Void avatar.
    My surviving Exalted homebrew can be found here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bookworm
    Alright. Just for that, if we both make it into the game, the first test target for Total Annihilation whenever I get Solar sorcery is going to be you.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

True, the Drow COULD go back to the surface, but the old leaders (Diva and Ash) seem to be blocking it
    Were does Ash actually block the recolonization attempts of the surface? Zalaess did it during the council and Diva might have done the same in the past.

As for todays page, Holy Sharess' ....errr cleavage (Hey, she is well built )
    Today's page is nice to look at indeed.
    So far however this chapter kills me. It should not be named 'The Ninth Tower', but rather 'Revelation Overkill'.

Spoiler
    Show
    First we figure out that Kalki is Snadhya's daughter! Then that Mel is the father!! Lu finds then the ninth tower in which Shasana still lives!!! She then tells Lu everything about Snadhya's crazy plan that almost all tainted will be transformed into demons soon, because Snadhya is the boss of the Nidraa'chal!!!! Bye bye Sharen Clan. Oh, and she now mentions that she has Sharesses body conserved and that she plans to bring her back!!!!!

What's next!? I bet Lu has to start running for her life at some point. She will probably tell the Kyorls first about her discoveries, if she survives. And the Kyorls will then be screaming CRUSADE !!!!!!!

And Mel will wonder were Lu went.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Were does Ash actually block the recolonization attempts of the surface? Zalaess did it during the council and Diva might have done the same in the past.
    One of the meetings. She said something to the effect of "Recolinization can be done in the current situation". I don't have the time to do an archive dive right now to find it.

9. - Top - End - #9

Chapter 21: If Discordia sneezes, Drowtales is no longer a family comic.
    Bad to the Bone!
    Miko Miyazaki : Strip #120 - #464 : R.I.P.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Miklus View Post
    Chapter 21: If Discordia sneezes, Drowtales is no longer a family comic.
    I don't believe drowtales was much of a thing to read to the young 'ns to begin with. I mean Naal and Diva have been Naked onscreen, the latter fully uncensored if I remember well.

Not to mention the whole pre retcon buisness, where we'd see physically five year old Ariels sexual exploits in more-than-we-wanted-to-know detail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.

11. - Top - End - #11

Kharla is my favorite character by far, and not just because of the rampant fanservice either. She is the scariest person ever. She could make Darth Vader wet himself. (She is the one with the mask and orange hair, in case you got lost in the names). She wants ducky! Or else!
    Bad to the Bone!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

One of the meetings. She said something to the effect of "Recolinization can be done in the current situation".
    You surly mean "Recolinization can't be done in the current situation", right?

Hmmm even so, I don't really see a dark elf agenda to keep the drows in the underworld... Maybe Diva and Ash are still afraid of the overworld, still remembering the horrors they experienced there, and are therefore waiting till they are absolutely sure that all the demons did go before they would allow any recolonization attempts.

I don't believe drowtales was much of a thing to read to the young 'ns to begin with. I mean Naal and Diva have been Naked onscreen, the latter fully uncensored if I remember well.
    The recent naked Sharess is still censored in a way. Her breasts are missing something.

Not to mention the whole pre retcon buisness, where we'd see physically five year old Ariels sexual exploits in more-than-we-wanted-to-know detail.
    These old comics do no longer exist online, it seems... They are wiped from the internet!

In the recent page we see Chrystel again. I see her now as a human (elven) sacrifice, not many years left to live. That's sad actually.
    Gorgeous backgrounds though.
    Last edited by Hamilkar; 2010-09-14 at 11:32 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

In the recent page we see Chrystel again. I see her now as a human (elven) sacrifice, not many years left to live. That's sad actually.
    Gorgeous backgrounds though.
    Years? I wonder if she is going to last a few more days right now. The setup for this is that one or both the people she is talking to are the enemy.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, those who read the DT forums know that the girl who showed up is the screaming sorceress from the black-and-white filler involving Sillice telling the twins a bedtime story. Similar hairstyle and mannerisms, and spellsong usually means Ilhar'dro.

Time to speculate: Who in each major clan are Nidraa'chal?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    Time to speculate: Who in each major clan are Nidraa'chal?
    Let's speculate then... !

I suspect that Nidraa'chal are almost all tainted. The majority will be characters we don't know yet.

I have two candidates. First The Summoner of the Vloz Clan, Nyoka (Chapter 24) although she looks almost too nice, but what is then her purpose in the story? Second the black armored imperial guard, seen in chapter 16 and 19, is definitely a strong candidate.
    Hmm the leader from the guild of flowers is also tainted.... but naaaa she looks too innocent!

I have some theories though in which clans the Nidraa'chal are less or not active at all. The question is really were did the Nidraa'chal leaders/core staff all come from. I believe since Snadhya was a teacher in Orthorbbae for a long time and since she seems to keep a close group of very gifted protegees around her (if that information from DD is correct), she might have recruited the first Nidraa'chal out of some of them, therefore spreading the 'taint' of Nidraa'chal membership to almost all clans.

This means, if this is true, that the Clans who do not have much members in Orthorbbae, are more unlikely to be infiltrated with Nidraa'chal 'Sleeper Agents' namely the Sarghress, because they do not have many Val's in their ranks. However their 'open door policy' regarding recruits might be dangerous. Also I have some trouble to see the Kyrols infiltrated, for that the Nidraa'chal in question can't be (obviously) tainted and had to avoid and/or trick the judicators all the time. Also the Kyrols have their own school district now. Finally the Beldrobbaen might have no (or less) Nidraa'chal in their ranks, because they seem to be too traditional for this kind of thinking and do not seem to be so positive on tainting, plus this clan could be destined to fall like the Dutan'Virs because they also seem to be a more stabilizing clan for Chel'el'Sussoloth. Also the Sullisin'rune with their Empaths would make it for Nidraa'chal members difficult to hide, I think.

So what's left? The Sharen, the Illhar'dro, the Nal'Sarkoth, the Jaal'darya and the Vloz'ress.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

So what's left? The Sharen, the Illhar'dro, the Nal'Sarkoth, the Jaal'darya and the Vloz'ress.
    Sharen: It's obvious who's in.
    Ilhar'dro: Banshee Lady and her ilk.
    Nal'Sarkoth: Nobody that we've seen in color.
    Jaal'darya: The ones who helped Snadya make her baby.
    Vloz'ress: Kes'sen, Sene'kha, and Larvova are all suspects, although we'll never know with Sene'kha. Nyoka's innocent, though. And if Baliir or the Twins find any out, there will be murders.
    Sarghress: They're there, all right. Not sure who, though.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Holy cow.... I mean Sharess !

Khaless almost explodes with evil demonic awesomeness.

*crosses fingers that a cool fight breaks out and no cut to another scene appears*

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Wow the Drowtales team does like to leave us hanging. An very interesting battle and we see the winner but not how it's going to play out.

19. - Top - End - #19

I only now realise what Kharla's problem is. She is not retarded, she is autistic. She has pretty much all the symptoms, right down to the hand-biting. It seems fairly mild, though. So don't be surprised if she suddenly outsmarts someone.

Does anyone know where the story about when Kharla was found is? I seem to recall her being found in an abandoned house by Sene'kha.
    Bad to the Bone!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

The side story, Char. Sene'kha found her in a secondary city... There was a podcast of the story, and later Starlitdragon put the story in comic form.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Well it seems that another child gang is building up.
    Chrystel, Kiel, Naal and maybe Shinae's adventures? Let's call them team tainted

And there is so much black in the Beldrobbaen fortress, with Waes'soloth always watching the empty corridors! What a merry place.

22. - Top - End - #22

Well it seems that another child gang is building up.
    Chrystel, Kiel, Naal and maybe Shinae's adventures? Let's call them team tainted

And there is so much black in the Beldrobbaen fortress, with Waes'soloth always watching the empty corridors! What a merry place.
    Team tainted it is! Do you think Shinae will run and tell on them? I think she will.

Let's call the Beldrobbaen "The Emo Elves" from now on Elves...color coded for your convinience.

This comic has the best art of any web comic I have seen. There is a whole team behind it, but still.
    Bad to the Bone!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Team tainted it is! Do you think Shinae will run and tell on them? I think she will.
    Well I'm unsure on that. Maybe she will betray Team Tainted eventually, especially when she thinks that she's actually doing the right thing. Shinae is for all her arrogance, not a very independent person. For her the rules/traditions have to be upheld, no matter the costs. If she believes anything, it is that the Sharen are great and can't be wrong in any case. So if Chrystel threatens her worldview enough, Shinae would do it.

Let's call the Beldrobbaen "The Emo Elves" from now on Elves...color coded for your convinience.
    Yes the Beldrobbaen are emo elves.... who will slit your throat if you call them that! More like emo assassins. Their Illharess is a bit weird too. Casual talk with her little daughter include topics like cutting away some limbs from some ambassadors to teach them a lesson and let's not forget that she overreacted at least one time in the past by killing all slaves in the fortress. Still I like her character for some reason

This comic has the best art of any web comic I have seen. There is a whole team behind it, but still.
    Agreed

Hmm in today's comic, either the forth wall was irreversible broken, or the drow have the concept of a troll, as an person who post err I mean speak inflammatory speeches. And no, this time Kiel did not use the word!

But to make fun of a Kyrol fanatic is always justified in my book.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Hmm in today's comic, either the forth wall was irreversible broken, or the drow have the concept of a troll, as an person who post err I mean speak inflammatory speeches. And no, this time Kiel did not use the word!
    Kiel is a little bit of the Deadpool of Drowtales. She is aware that she is being watched and talks to those people (us) from time to time. She does not know who is watching though (wonder how she would react to it being humans with a highly advanced scocity? ). Other people think she is bastspit crazy when she does this of course. Now something that bit scary is Kiel's "big sister" Kharla. If you notice the dolls she makes are dressed in real world cloths or have stong references to Earth. The last doll she made was Charlie McCarthy ( http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive...xtra=1&id=1225 ). I guess with all her power (which seems to include peering into other dimensions) Chel is lucky she is mearly autistic and not insane/evil/demon possessed.

I think the forth wall being damaged is incorrect in this case however. They are using terms that we recognize since the are using the drow version of those terms. People standing on steet corners and making speeches like isn't all that common in the US or Canada, but there is a street set aside in London for just this purpose (cannot recall the name at the moment) and it seems to be rather popular.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground

She's merely re-using Kiel's lingo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

When somebody shouts some weird philosophy at the street, I'd call them lunatics or fools, never trolls, but maybe it's me. Also were does 'feeding the troll' appear in Kiel's lingo?

Funny that the Kyrol can't be a troll (in our understanding of the word) because he's believing his own words and he does not want to cause grief or displeasure, he wants to convince. Also he does preach and not discuss.

Anyway Kiel is being funny and that's what counts, doesn't it?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

In the context, I think troll is a term for someone who's behaving in a stupid and/or aggressive manner. Feeding the troll would be a term for inciting that behavior. So, a tainted disrupting a soapbox sermon would be feeding this particular troll.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

What turned Chrystel, into such an pessimist? An what brought her mind to the Jaal'Daria all of a sudden? If she gets more paranoid, she will turn into a fine Beldrobbaen.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

What turned Chrystel, into such an pessimist?
    Find out her grandmother and national ruler was dead, and that her mother was apparently lying about it.

As for the Jaal'darya, she was watching the council. You heard the anti-tradition rhetoric coming from their Il'haress as well as I did.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

It looks like that Team Tainted is now up to six members, that means full adventure party strength! (Ok, if Kaul is not a honorary member of Team Tainted, five actually )

It's really a kind of a mirror of 'Ariel's Group'