New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Lightbulb [Template] I understand... everything!

Paramind

Once every few generations a fluke of nature is given birth. A being born sentient and ready to understand the world beyond any of it's kin. Within a short period its intellect has grown to nigh god-like, far in advance of near all capacity of their species. Their minds continue to grow in power and complexity until the very moment of their death.

In some cases however, through experimentation or psionic manipulation, this condition can be brought about artificially. These individuals tend not to live nearly long as those who come by this mental apex from birth.

However it was brought about they are marked beings whose thirst for knowledge and understanding sets them apart from all others. Some are all but unknown, spending their lives solely in the pursuit of knowledge, others become famous for their intellect in whatever fields they pursue. Paramind scholars of war can become terrifying opponents while paramind healers and philosophers can advance physical and mental medicine hundreds of years. No matter what path they choose though, the world is changed.

-=-=-=-=-

Sample Paramind

Paramind Doppelganger
    Medium Monstrous Humanoid (Shapechanger)
    Hit Dice: 4d8+4 (22 hp)
    Initiative: +1
    Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
    Armor Class: 15 (+1 Dex, +4 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 14
    Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+5
    Attack: Slam +5 melee (1d6+1)
    Full Attack: Slam +5 melee (1d6+1)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Detect thoughts, intellectual might, mental interference, think before you act
    Special Qualities: Change shape, deep thought, eidetic memory, experience, immunity to sleep and charm effects, polyglot, regenerative mind
    Saves: Fort +4, Ref +12, Will +7
    Abilities: Str 12, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 26, Wis 16, Cha 15
    Skills: Autohypnosis +7, Concentration +12, Bluff +13*, Diplomacy +9, Disguise +23* (+25* acting), Knowledge (local) +15, Knowledge (nobility) +15, Intimidate +9, Listen +10, Sense Motive +10, Spot +10
    Feats: Able Learner(B), Dodge, Great Fortitude, Insightful Reflexes(B), Jack of All Trades(B)
    Environment: Any
    Organization: Solitary, pair, or gang (3–6)
    Challenge Rating: 5
    Treasure: Double standard
    Alignment: Usually neutral
    Advancement: By character class
    Level Adjustment: +8

Paramind dopplegangers tend to be political paragons, maneuvering and altering people and ideas in a mass game of intricate intrigue. Many will lead multiple lives and even run against themselves for power, using one persona to strengthen or weaken certain aspects of another to sway opinion and knowledge. Some even invent new governments and overthrow themselves, always working towards a far-off goal and with each change introducing the citizens to a new way of life. They literally have the mental capacity of several men, and make good use of it.

Combat

Change Shape (Su): A doppelganger can assume the shape of any Small or Medium humanoid. In humanoid form, the doppelganger loses its natural attacks. A doppelganger can remain in its humanoid form until it chooses to assume a new one. A change in form cannot be dispelled, but a doppelganger reverts to its natural form when killed. A true seeing spell or ability reveals its natural form.

Deep Thought (Ex): If a paramind doppelganger concentrates for 1d4 hours without interruption they may deduce the answer to near any question as the Hypercognition power. Unlike the power, the paramind must have at least basic information to work with to work out an answer. The chance of a correct answer is 70%.

Detect Thoughts (Su): A doppelganger can continuously use detect thoughts as the spell (caster level 18th; Will DC 14 negates). It can suppress or resume this ability as a free action. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Eidetic Memory (Ex): A paramind automatically remembers in precise detail all that they have observed and experienced, and can recall it at a moment's notice as if they had succeeded on an Autohypnosis check.

Experience: A paramind doppelganger's mental stat increase from aging are triple the norm.

Intellectual Might (Ex): Anyone whose intelligence score is 16 or lower who attempts to focus the paramind doppelganger with a mind-affecting ability, or even telepathy, are automatically dazed for 1 round and the ability ends. If their intelligence score is 6 or lower they become stunned.

Mental Interference (Su): A paramind doppelganger continuously emits immensely strong thought waves that affects all around them out to 30 feet as the Catapsi power unless they succeed on a DC 20 Will save each round.

Polyglot (Ex): A paramind that has listened to a language for a combined total of 1 hour can understand it enough to follow the basic gist of the conversation. After listening for 2d4 hours they are considered to be fluent. They may only speak this language if they possess the necessary organs to do so, such as though they may come to understand the body language of a creature with eight limbs, they could not reproduce it without the same number.

Regenerative Mind (Ex): A paramind doppelganger's brain has incredible recuperative powers. They naturally heal damage to any mental stat at a rate of 1 point per hour to each damaged stat. Even mental stat drain heals, at a rate of 1 point per day.
    They also gain fast healing 5 in regards to hit point damage sustained from mind-affecting spells and powers such as Mind Thrust and Ultrablast.
    As well, if their memory has been adjusted they may make an additional save again the power, even if the duration has expired, each round. Once they make their save the memories return in full.
    Finally, the duration of mind-affecting effects against a paramind has only half the duration (minimum 1 round unless the duration is instantaneous).

Think Before You Act (Ex): When a paramind doppelganger strikes or is struck, they may adapt their combat to take advantage of the opponent's defenses and offenses. Each round that the paramind successfully damages or takes damage from a creature, they gain a cumulative +1 insight bonus to attack or Armor Class (possibly both), up to a maximum bonus equal to their intelligence modifier. The bonus remains in place for as long as he attempts to strike each opponent and 2 rounds afterwards.

For example, the first time the paramind damages a foe, a +1 bonus applies to each of it's attacks against that target in subsequent rounds. The next time it hits that foe, the bonuses increases to +2. During any round it misses the target, the bonus does not increase.

If fighting multiple creatures simultaneously, the bonuses apply separately to each opponent. So though you may have hit one opponent three times for a +3 insight bonus to attacks against it, you may have only hit another creature once, and so only gain a +1 insight bonus against it, all at the same time.

Skills: A doppelganger has a +4 racial bonus on Bluff and Disguise checks.

*When using its change shape ability, a doppelganger gets an additional +10 circumstance bonus on Disguise checks. If it can read an opponent’s mind, it gets a further +4 circumstance bonus on Bluff and Disguise checks.

-=-=-=-=-

Creating a Paramind

"Paramind" is an inherited or acquired template that can be added to any creature with an intelligence score, hereafter referred to as the base creature.

A Paramind uses all the base creature's statistics and special abilities except as noted here. Do not recalculate the creature’s Hit Dice, base attack bonus, saves, or skill points if its type changes.

Size and Type: Animals with this template become magical beasts, but otherwise the creature type is unchanged. Size is unchanged.

Special Attacks: A paramind retains all attacks of the base creature plus the following attacks.

Intellectual Might (Ex): Anyone whose intelligence score is 10 or more points less than the paramind who attempts to focus them with a mind-affecting ability, or even telepathy, are automatically dazed for 1 round and the ability ends. If the paramind's intelligence is 20 or higher those affected are instead stunned and must succeed on a Will save (DC 10 + half paramind HD + Int mod) or be affected by the Ohrwurm psychosis (scroll down).

Mental Interference (Su): A paramind continuously emits immensely strong thoughtwaves that affects all around them as the Catapsi power unless they succeed on a Will save each round (DC 10 + half paramind's HD + Int modifier).

The range of this power depends on the size of the paramind:
    Code:

Size         Radius
    Fine         5 ft.
    Diminitive   10 ft.
    Tiny         15 ft.
    Small        20 ft.
    Medium       30 ft.
    Large        35 ft.
    Huge         40 ft.
    Gargantuan   50 ft.
    Colossal     60 ft.
    Think Before You Act (Ex): When a paramind strikes or is struck, they may adapt their combat to take advantage of the opponent's defenses and offenses. Each round that the paramind successfully damages a creature he gets a bonus to his attack. Each round the paramind takes damage from a creature he gets a bonus to his Armor Class. This comes in the form of a cumulative +1 insight bonus, up to a maximum bonus equal to their intelligence modifier. The bonus remains in place for as long as the paramind is struck or attempts to strike each opponent plus 2 rounds afterwards.

For example, the first time the paramind damages a foe, a +1 bonus applies to each of it's attacks against that target in subsequent rounds. The next time it hits that foe, the bonuses increases to +2. During any round it misses the target, the bonus does not increase.

If fighting multiple creatures simultaneously, the bonuses apply separately to each opponent. So though you may have hit one opponent three times for a +3 insight bonus to attacks against it, you may have only hit another creature once, and so only gain a +1 insight bonus against it, all at the same time.

Special Qualities: A paramind retains all qualities of the base creature plus the following qualities.

Deep Thought (Ex): If a paramind concentrates for 1d4 hours without interruption they may deduce the answer to near any question as the Hypercognition power. Unlike the power, the paramind must have at least basic information to work with to work out an answer. The chance of a correct answer is 70%. For each point of intelligence above 26 the chance of a correct answer increases by 1%. For example, a paramind with an intelligence of 30 has a 74% chance of a correct answer.

Eidetic Memory (Ex): A paramind automatically remembers in precise detail all that they have observed and experienced, and can recall it at a moment's notice as if they had succeeded on an Autohypnosis check.

Experience: A paramind's mental stat increase from aging are triple the norm.

Polyglot (Ex): A paramind that has listened to a language for a combined total of 1 hour can understand it enough to follow the basic gist of the conversation. After listening for 2d4 hours they are considered to be fluent. They may only speak this language if they possess the necessary organs to do so, such as though they may come to understand the body language of a creature with eight limbs, they could not reproduce it without the same number.

Regenerative Mind (Ex): A paramind's brain has incredible recuperative powers. They naturally heal damage to any mental stat at a rate of 1 point per hour to each damaged stat. Even mental stat drain heals, at a rate of 1 point per day.
    They also gain fast healing 5 in regards to hit point damage sustained from mind-affecting spells and powers such as Mind Thrust and Ultrablast.
    As well, if their memory has been adjusted they may make an additional save again the power, even if the duration has expired, each round. Once they make their save the memories return in full.
    Finally, the duration of mind-affecting effects against a paramind has only half the duration (minimum 1 round unless the duration is instantaneous).

Abilities: Adjust from the base creature as follows: A paramind's intelligence score increases to 26, or +10 to the base creature's score, whichever is higher. Wis +2, Cha +2.

Skills: A paramind gains Autohypnosis and Concentration as a trained skill with a +4 bonus.
    Feats: A paramind gains Insightful Reflexes and Jack of All Trades as bonus feats, as well as one other feat of their own choosing as long as they meet the prerequisites. Otherwise same as base creature.
    Challenge Rating: Same as the base creature +2.
    Level Adjustment: Same as base creature +4.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2010-11-08 at 09:01 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Template] I understand... everything!

Haha!

Now Charlie from Heroes is fully playable!

Muahahah!

Nice work, VT.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

You have something called "fighting smarts" listed in the Special Attacks of the sample creature, but that ability doesn't appear in the template writeup itself.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate Scribe View Post
    Haha!

Now Charlie from Heroes is fully playable!

Muahahah!

Nice work, VT.
    Not to be a downer, but she was only good with languages. I can't remember if it was homebrew or not, but I read a feat "Pidgin" once that let you do 3-4 word sentances pretty fast, that'd be closer.

Nice template, what made you pick 26 for minimum int?
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think fighting smarts became think before you act. But regardless, this is an amazing template! My new BBEG is a psionic race with this template on!

Oh my!
    Proud initiate ref for the Arena!
    Spoiler
    Show

Llince 2-1
    Akhond 1-0
    Wolatifex 0-0

Crimson Mageatar!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ex-avatar/ists:
    The Chilli God
    Serpentine

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Iames Osari View Post
    You have something called "fighting smarts" listed in the Special Attacks of the sample creature, but that ability doesn't appear in the template writeup itself.
    Think before you act was originally fighting smarts. Adjusted.

Not to be a downer, but she was only good with languages.
    Well, basically she had a perfect memory allowing her to learn anything in a moment's notice having to do with sheer memorization.

So she could likely learn languages, histories, mathematics, etc in a split second. She wasn't necessarily any smarter than norm though.

what made you pick 26 for minimum int?
    Thats the score at which read thoughts and the like stuns you normally unless you also have a high int. So I took the number and applied it to all mind-affecting things.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm, I love the idea, the crunch (I assume it's balanced), and definatley the picture at the top.
    Hate for a wizard to get the template, though.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm... Paramind Donkey, anyone?

I first started reading these forums to see the creations of Vorpal Tribble. They're still a joy to read, wherever and whenever I find them. Thanks, again.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    Well, basically she had a perfect memory allowing her to learn anything in a moment's notice having to do with sheer memorization.

So she could likely learn languages, histories, mathematics, etc in a split second. She wasn't necessarily any smarter than norm though.
    Not to pick nits, but... while many mathematicians have excellent recall, being a good / great / epic mathematician has very little to do with memorization. Being able to memorize pi to 10,000 digits or multiple two 8 digit numbers in your head isn't considered mathematics by mathematicians ("parlor tricks" comes to mind).

Someone with perfect recall could conceivably memorize each symbol in order in a complex mathematics tome without understanding a word of it.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by mroozee View Post
    Not to pick nits, but... while many mathematicians have excellent recall, being a good / great / epic mathematician has very little to do with memorization. Being able to memorize pi to 10,000 digits or multiple two 8 digit numbers in your head isn't considered mathematics by mathematicians ("parlor tricks" comes to mind).

Someone with perfect recall could conceivably memorize each symbol in order in a complex mathematics tome without understanding a word of it.
    I would guess (I don't actually know what people are talking about) that this person had both ridiculous memory and understanding, so while that is true, these are people who have the understanding and the memory.

Int 26 seems kind of low for a ridiculously intelligent supermind. Although I usually play very high power games.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

As long as you are giving them "Insightful Reflexes" one might also want to consider a confusingly named feat from the third party book Liber Beastiarus(sp) "Speed of Thought"... NOT the psionic feat (that is why the name is confusing). This lets you use your INT in place of your DEX for determining your initiative.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

very cool, vorpal. this is perfect for the higher-level version of an npc that i have been working on. obviously it won't be inherited in him, but i created a template just for him that is along these lines, only weaker, more 1st-level friendly. so he will now rock the house when he gets to 18th level and suddenly gains this. good job.

aaron out.

oh, wait. the intelligence thing being too low. um, i disagree, especially cuz of the +10 deal if it's already high. but, i do kinda like the idea of an int bonus that increases with hd instead.
    my own diabolical experiments (homebrew)

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns
    Watchtower––Volume III (running since 2008)

Announcer— “Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.”

Wiggum, checking— “Well I'll be damned.”

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Int 26 seems kind of low for a ridiculously intelligent supermind. Although I usually play very high power games.
    26 is more than twice the "average" human intelligence. Its the brainpower of a bronze great wyrm with over 1200 years of experiance. Same for red if you want an evil equivalent. It is slightly less intelligent than an Atropal, which has a CR of 30.

I think its plenty high enough to be the minimum for a superhuman.
    Last edited by Stormthorn; 2008-03-12 at 06:58 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by endoperez View Post
    Hmm... Paramind Donkey, anyone?
    Why not a Paramind Horse? And he shall be named Mr. Ed!
    Characters:
    None right now!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Paramind goldfish > Mr. Ed
    Folding@Home
    The Diamond Mind (A Tome of Battle prestige class)
    "I just ESP it a half-twist and. . ." Mark Clifton, "Star, Bright"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    Deep Thought (Ex): If a paramind concentrates for 1d4 hours without interruption they may deduce the answer to near any question as the Hypercognition power.
    I guess they'll give you the answer and then tell you that it'll take an epic paramind the size of a planet to tell you the question, right?

Sorry, couldn't help it.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stormthorn View Post
    26 is more than twice the "average" human intelligence. Its the brainpower of a bronze great wyrm with over 1200 years of experiance. Same for red if you want an evil equivalent. It is slightly less intelligent than an Atropal, which has a CR of 30.

I think its plenty high enough to be the minimum for a superhuman.
    and now add the template to said red great wyrm and you have a int of 68 taking into account the dragons tripled ageing increases int...
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

Balance isn't my forte - and you've certainly got a ton more experience in the area than I do - but doesn't the +2 CR seem a little bit low? Things like Think Before You Act seem like they'd be very powerful abilities when played out.

Other than that, though, beautiful as normal.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Ok, I've tweaked him to lessen some of the more powerful abilities into being slightly more sporting.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Must...resist urge...to create Bunny Paramind...
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    Not to be a downer, but she was only good with languages.
    She can also copy martial arts and kicks some poor dude through a window.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GoC View Post
    Different character. Charlie was the unfortunate redshirt that Hiro fell in love with in the past, the first character that Sylar killed in the show (minus a few people seen only as corpses). Her power was eidetic memory (or, at the very least, a perfect memory of whatever she'd read). Micah's cousin Monica has the power to duplicate any mundane stunt she observes, which is significantly more powerful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GoC View Post
    Uh, that's Monica. He was talking about Charlie the cute redhead.

Also, he wasn't a poor dude. He was a gun-toting thug robbing the place.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2008-03-16 at 10:32 PM.