New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Let's build a setting!

Exactly what the title says. Here's the rules:
    You may post one idea. There are no hard and fast rules for what an "Idea" is, but it should be summed up in under 2 sentences and elaborated on in under 7 (you do not have to elaborate, but it should be able to be described fully in this space).
    Alternatively, you could set forth an idea that others could finish, if it requires more than a paragraph.
    You must wait three posts before posting again (should the thread's popularity ever reach a point where this would apply).
    Please keep your ideas sensible. No jokes or silly references.

Let's start with getting a general feel for the world, sort of like the introduction section for FR or Eberron. Here are a few lines from the Eberron Campaign Guide that mimic what I'm trying to get at here:
    Welcome to the Eberron Campaign Setting, a world of swashbuckling action and dark fantasy

The features that most set Eberron apart are its tone andattitude. The setting combines traditional medieval fantasy with pulp action and dark adventure.

The medieval world of Eberron is a place of magic andmonsters, where arcane energy infuses the landscape andgreatly influences society and industry. Thanks to a mas-tery of the arcane arts, the great cities of the continent of Khorvaire contain skyscraping castles, elemental-powered
    coaches and carriages, and all manner of enchanted conveniences. Magic is industry across the face of Eberron,the innovative spark that propels society forward.

With that in mind, I thought I'd begin: The last great empire that encompased a large portion of the civilized world has just crumbled, and the world is just beginning to recover.

Idea Compilation
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. The last great empire that encompased a large portion of the civilized world has just crumbled, and the world is just beginning to recover.
    2.Last 'great' empire, by its own measure, of course. Though the peoples encompassed by the empire may see their world as having crumbled, nations beyond its borders have been less effected, with some, far across an expanse of unexplored sea, even thriving now.
    3. Most of the Imperial family is dead, but a rumor that the second child of the Emperor is still alive has spurred several factions to seek her out, while dozens of others only want to rule over the Empire's remains. These several factions have conflicting goals, though: one wants to make her the new Empress, one wants to kill her, and one wants to use her as a sacrifice to an ancient god.
    4. Through money, might and magic the old empire enforced a peace that lasted centuries; now with its fall the Pax Imperia is over.
    In this new age the long denied ambitions of old nations vie with the upstart successor states and vicious warlords; now steel must resolve.
    5.The empire's legacy is somewhat ambiguous. It may have been repressive, but it held back the dark forces creeping up from the lower planes.
    6.The Pax Imperia was more than just over human nations- it encompassed older treaties with stranger beings not known today.
    7.Many isolated groups of powerful, tribal fighters, creatures never truly part of the empire lived in the greatest hill range in the empires borders and fought against it at any turn, now florish and now relish in the defeat of what most saw as the bringers of law. Some claim that they are the decendents of humans who got too familier with the ogre clans, while these brutal fighters laugh at that, saying that there so much bigger and stronger than the "lowlanders" because of hard work and fighting.
    8.The lower planes were not the only planes whose influence is being felt. Both the lower and upper planes are imposing themselves on the land, and some whisper of even stranger forces making their ways into the hearts of men and mer.
    9.Not only did the Pax Imperia provide peace, it also meant a certain ease of trade. The trade roads are slowly being abandoned as every warlord and chief demands a toll on his scrap if land. Bandits prowl the frontier roads with no patrols to stop them. This has left once prosperous trade cities desperate and starving.
    10. The dark elves of the desert are profiting from the chaos as their trade caravans are protected by uncanny warriors, perilous magic, and their own fearsome reputations. They're starting to spread across the land via the known trade routes and others that seem known or passable only to them.
    11.The gnomes of the west have had their restrictions ended, meaning they are free to experiment with strong magical enhancements to rudimentary technology. In other words, they are unknowingly trying to force the world into an industrial revolution.
    12.The dwarves were not part of the ancient empire. When it conquered as far as it did, almost all of them retreated into complete seclusion in their fortresses, and were not seen or heard from for the empire's entire rule. With the fall of the empire, the dwarves have begun to re-emerge, but with one noticeable difference--where before they were fairly anti-magic in their culture, they now come back to outside lands wielding powerful arcane abilities unlike those held by other civilizations.
    13.This world has no known gods, only the celestials of the upper planes and the internals of the lower planes. Neither is good or evil. Every cultures religion is based on the two but every society interprets them differently, and there is no entirely correct theology. The state sponsored churches that strictly enforced celestial worship is now without funding and power. The desperate churches have imposed heavy tithes and many followers are turning to the many underground cults that have existed in secret for centuries. Rumors are beginning to spread of a fourth plane, whose inhabitants are strange and alien.
    Last edited by Zelkon; 2012-11-16 at 11:14 AM.
    Akrim.elf made my wonderful ponytar.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Curse that infernal yellowish-brown text right under comics! When shall you turn normal brown again?" -every OOTS fan ever.
    I support laziness. Call me Z if you can't be bothered to spell my full name.
    Come help build a fantasy setting!

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Let's build a setting!

#2: Last 'great' empire, by its own measure, of course. Though the peoples encompassed by the empire may see their world as having crumbled, nations beyond its borders have been less effected, with some, far across an expanse of unexplored sea, even thriving now.

Hopefully you don't mid me making this empire a bit less world-spanning.
    A gracious thanks to Bradakhan for the avatar, and Time Walk's card artist, Amy Weber.

k: ar k ar a rkar k ar k r a kr k a rk r kar k rar kr !

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

#3: Most of the Imperial family is dead, but a rumor that the second child of the Emperor is still alive has spurred several factions to seek her out, while dozens of others only want to rule over the Empire's remains. These several factions have conflicting goals, though: one wants to make her the new Empress, one wants to kill her, and one wants to use her as a sacrifice to an ancient god.

4. - Top - End - #4

EvilClericGuy

#3 Through money, might and magic the old empire enforced a peace that lasted centuries; now with its fall the Pax Imperia is over.

In this new age the long denied ambitions of old nations vie with the upstart successor states and vicious warlords; now steel must resolve.
    My Home brew setting:

Concentric circles
    Necrotheism

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeZero View Post
    How very Machiavellian, professor Doom.
    Clever, effective, and anyone who agrees with it is a grade A global supervillain.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

#5 The empire's legacy is somewhat ambiguous. It may have been repressive, but it held back the dark forces creeping up from the lower planes.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

#6 The Pax Imperia was more than just over human nations- it encompassed older treaties with stranger beings not known today.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

7. Many isolated groups of powerful, tribal fighters, creatures never truly part of the empire lived in the greatest hill range in the empires borders and fought against it at any turn, now florish and now relish in the defeat of what most saw as the bringers of law. Some claim that they are the decendents of humans who got too familier with the ogre clans, while these brutal fighters laugh at that, saying that there so much bigger and stronger than the "lowlanders" because of hard work and fighting.
    Last edited by Pokonic; 2012-11-16 at 01:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

8. The lower planes were not the only planes whose influence is being felt. Both the lower and upper planes are imposing themselves on the land, and some whisper of even stranger forces making their ways into the hearts of men and mer.
    Domriso's Homebrew Compendium - A collection of all of my homebrew, throwing in my own design philosophy and my conceptions for possible new things.

Geomancy, Runic Magic, probably more at a later date:
    Come see my Homebrew!

Ever heard of the Ultimate Classes? They're pretty sweet. Check them out here.

I've had an interview over at Tellest! You should go see!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Not only did the pax imperia provide peace, it also meant a certain ease of trade. The trade roads are slowly being abandoned as every warlord and chief demands a toll on his scrap if land. Bandits prowl the frontier roads with no patrols to stop them. This has left once prosperous trade cities desperate and starving.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

#10 The dark elves of the desert are profiting from the chaos as their trade caravans are protected by uncanny warriors, perilous magic, and their own fearsome reputations. They're starting to spread across the land via the known trade routes and others that seem known or passable only to them.

11. - Top - End - #11

11: The gnomes of the west have had their restrictions ended, meaning they are free to experiment with strong magical enhancements to rudimentary technology. In other words, they are unknowingly trying to force the world into an industrial revolution.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Curse that infernal yellowish-brown text right under comics! When shall you turn normal brown again?" -every OOTS fan ever.

12. - Top - End - #12

12: The dwarves were not part of the ancient empire. When it conquered as far as it did, almost all of them retreated into complete seclusion in their fortresses, and were not seen or heard from for the empire's entire rule. With the fall of the empire, the dwarves have begun to re-emerge, but with one noticeable difference--where before they were fairly anti-magic in their culture, they now come back to outside lands wielding powerful arcane abilities unlike those held by other civilizations.
    Last edited by Amaril; 2012-11-16 at 10:23 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

This world has no known gods, only the celestials of the upper planes and the internals of the lower planes. Neither is good or evil. Every cultures religion is based on the two but every society interprets them differently, and there is no entirely correct theology. The state sponsored churches that strictly enforced celestial worship is now without funding and power. The desperate churches have imposed heavy tithes and many followers are turning to the many underground cults that have existed in secret for centuries. Rumors are beginning to spread of a fourth plane, whose inhabitants are strange and alien.

14. - Top - End - #14

EvilClericGuy

14: Humans where once overwhelmingly the dominant race of this world.

The plague that fatally weaken the empire slew only humans.
    My Home brew setting:

Concentric circles
    Necrotheism

Clever, effective, and anyone who agrees with it is a grade A global supervillain.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

15. The plague that bought the downfall of the great and expansive human-led empire was started by the dark elves, who were in turn motivated to do so by dark powers that whispered to them in the night, offering riches and power in exchange for the souls of their enemies.

The plague twists and corrupts minds and bodies, creating beings who are neither dead nor alive; beings who are ... undead. Now the plague has started to spread beyond Pax Imperia; neither the inheritors of the empire nor the dark elves who have already begun profiting are aware of this fact.

Everything is going just as the powers from the lower planes have planned ...
    Last edited by Jade_Lance; 2012-11-16 at 11:48 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

16: Towards the end of the plague's course, one of the empire's greatest mages lost someone close to him to its ravages. Consumed by the desire to prevent this from ever happening again, he began research into a means of preserving the soul of one of the plague's victims, to spare them from an existence of undeath. He discovered a way to transfer a living soul into an artificial body, creating a new race of sentient golems. Once he had enough of these, he began outfitting them as warriors and used them to hunt down and destroy undead, in order to spare those who were too far gone from an eternity in this state. Because of this, the golems came to be known as Warforged.
    Last edited by Amaril; 2012-11-17 at 12:04 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

17. The upper planes have twisted schemes of their own. They have corrupted the minds of one of the main factions who seek the heir. They were driven insane at the will of an archangel and believe the heir must be sacrificed to a 'god' that never existed. The upper planes are desperate to cover their tracks since so much of the world venerates them as paragons of good. They will kill any who cross them, or that the celestials believe might know too much.

(as a side note: in threads like these we normally reach a point where there are to many ideas and the project collapses. I say we set a number and when we reach that many ideas we wrap up and tie a bow. That way we have a very thought out setting with lots of gaps for DMs to fill for themselves. This isn't necessary, but I like where this is going and want us to see it through to the end. For that to happen there must be an end in sight. Just my two cents)
    Last edited by Deploy; 2012-11-17 at 12:08 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

18. A powerful cabal of mages survived the plauge...by eating souls. The resulting transformations to there forms brought the first undead to the plane.

Sometimes known as Death Knights, Lichs, Mummies, and more, they are not united at all, but are a scattered threat found throughout abandoned cities, dungeons, and temples inside the empire. They all have the same goals, however dispite there methods or infighting: the distruction of all life. For, you see, the colective rituals they casted apon themselves gave them a uniform mental affliction.

Notably, they fight with the forces of the lower planes, for the devils would prefer it if mortal life existed. Souls are needed for there economy to exist, and the end of the universe is bad for the stock market. Most range from CR 12-18, but epic-level gesalt-souled abominations are known to exist.

(I agree. How about at point 30?)
    Last edited by Pokonic; 2012-11-17 at 12:44 AM.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Deploy View Post
    (as a side note: in threads like these we normally reach a point where there are to many ideas and the project collapses. I say we set a number and when we reach that many ideas we wrap up and tie a bow. That way we have a very thought out setting with lots of gaps for DMs to fill for themselves. This isn't necessary, but I like where this is going and want us to see it through to the end. For that to happen there must be an end in sight. Just my two cents)
    I was going to do this at 30 posts (one page).

19. The base of the Pax Imperia is located at an island in the center of the continent. It mysteriously collapsed the moment there was no more royal blood within its boundaries, revealing a dungeon that supposedly runs throughout the entire empire, holding presumably untold riches. Entrances have been discovered all over the world; it appears that the dungeon was created when the empire fell.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

20. There was much dissent among the dark elves who released the plague, and now they stand on the edge of anarchy. Many of the elves furthest from the influence of the lower planes were concerned over what the plague might mean for elves, after their brief period of prosper. The plague could potentially destroy all humans, and no humans means far less people to trade with or exploit. Now the elves have divided into two factions, those who support the plague and those who don't.

21. - Top - End - #21

21. Creatures like Trolls and Giants are a myth, said to have had a great empire that was distroyed by a "act of the gods". Some belive that the plauge affecting mankind is a offshoot of the giantborn virus, and now people are searching old ruins and temples to find anything that could stop the spread of the temple. However, it is said that some trolls never died, and mearly mutated into horrible forms underground.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

22. Liches are not inherently evil. Instead they are highly knowledge beings; always willing to teach and learn.
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

23. The part of the world that the empire rests on is three conjoined continents (similar to how Europe, Africa, Saudi Arabia are connected). One of these continents was ruled by the empire and benefited from the pax imperia. Another is primarily desert home to the dark elves. The third is primarily human in population, they have many independent states, and the plague never reached them. One of the reasons anarchy set in after the plague is that almost all Theodore the empires legion was fighting in a campaign on the other human continent. Those soldiers are now left to continue fighting without purpose, try to find their way home, or surrender and seek a new life on a new continent.
    Last edited by Deploy; 2012-11-17 at 10:53 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24

24. Kobolds are a civilized race. They compete technologically with the gnomes.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

25: The kobolds learned much of what they know about technology from the same mage who created the Warforged. Eventually, he himself became afflicted with the plague, and, with the aid of the golems he had created already, succeeded in transplanting his own soul into a Warforged body. With the fall of the Pax Imperia, he and his Warforged followers were among the last few who remained to preserve the history of their civilization, and traveled the world seeking a people to whom they could pass on their legacy. This people turned out to be the kobolds, who have taken to worshiping the Warforged leader as something close to, but not quite, a god.

26. - Top - End - #26

26. Magic is rather hard to sustain in this world. Either souls must be used to power it (like Warforged, Undead, and some living magi), a direct connection to another plane is created (Flaming swords must have costly "fire runes" on the hilt, for example), or access to one of several special "objects of power". It is said that the Emperor's crown was one such magical item, and it was a state secret that all "magic" the empires mages used was just the crowns own blessing, and that with it's loss no more can be trained.

Only Elves and the Goblins have natural magic abilities, but some belive the Dwarves have found another powerful magical item as a explanation for there newfound magical ablities.
    Last edited by Pokonic; 2012-11-17 at 01:25 PM.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27

EvilClericGuy

27# The souls of the plague slain are missing. Many believe they are being siphoned off to fuel some dark and terrible magic.
    My Home brew setting:

Concentric circles
    Necrotheism

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

28. While arcane magic comes from soul power, divine magic is powered by the energies of the upper or lower planes. Although with the fall of the empire, and nullification of ancient treaties, the influence of a fourth plane home of abberations and monstrosities the like of which had never been seen. A handful have begun to draw divine power from this plane. Only an insane wizard would attempt it, and those who aren't will become so

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

29. There seems to be an unnatural side effect of so much death occurring at once. Portals to another world, difficult to see if not from the right angle, have begun popping up all over the world. These portals seemingly lead to nowhere; those who fall in can no longer be contacted, through mundane or magical means. In fact, even memories of those who fall through the portals seem hazy and less concrete, leading one to wonder if they ever really existed at all...
    Domriso's Homebrew Compendium - A collection of all of my homebrew, throwing in my own design philosophy and my conceptions for possible new things.

Geomancy, Runic Magic, probably more at a later date:
    Come see my Homebrew!

Ever heard of the Ultimate Classes? They're pretty sweet. Check them out here.

I've had an interview over at Tellest! You should go see!

30. - Top - End - #30

30. Most humans outside the empire only had access to cross-plane magics. Also, "divine" magic is just planar magic's under a different name, with some "holy" objects actualy being objects of power that worshipers can channel in there rites.
    Show