New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground XXXVI

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    I'd have loved to judge, but between life and trying to see if I can drum up some trophies (going... alright. Nothing yet that I'd be willing to post, but getting there), I've been far too slammed.

As a consolation prize, I may have some trophies for y'all by the end of (next) week.
    w00t.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #242
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Piggy Knowles View Post
    Seems like most contests recently have all been either one or two judges... It's a shame. I wish I knew a way to encourage more judges. I will say this - barring major life/work interference, I will make it a priority to judge for the next contest I don't enter. I've entered 8 contests and only judged once, so I definitely owe it.
    Judge badges might work, or giving the judges more freedom.

3. - Top - End - #243

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    More freedom?

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #244
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'd love to contribute. IC is one of the highlights of the month for me.
    Don't know if I have the necessary experience for judging though...

5. - Top - End - #245
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    More freedom?
    Like extra time and/or not interfering with judgings.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

What did the judging badges typically look like?

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeDSix View Post
    It doesn't matter your relative experience - what matters is that you apply your criteria to each contestant consistently.

7. - Top - End - #247

NecromancerGuy

Extra time was removed in the interest of keeping the process from dragging on, a good while ago. If there's sufficient support for it, I'm willing to revisit the issue, but the time per contest is a potential concern.

What, precisely, is meant by "interfering with judgings?" Does that mean contestants' concerns should not be posted at all, or. . .?

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #248
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    What did the judging badges typically look like?
    I think only two or three contests actually had badges.
    It was something like the judge's avatar using a judge wig. On a medal. It had the IC number on it. I'll see if I can find it.
    EDIT: Found some.
    Last edited by ThiagoMartell; 2012-09-08 at 02:44 PM.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

Amphetryon has a badge on his Sig and IIRC Assassin IC also gave medals to the judges.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

10. - Top - End - #250

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeDSix View Post
    Like others have said, experience isn't necessary. However, you may find your experience easier if you have access to the text containing the Secret Ingredient. Any other questions about rules or feats can be answered legally by things beside sourcebooks.

Previous rounds dragged on, so it's always a quest for finding the perfect duration. In terms of interfering with judging, I don't see much of that on these boards. But perhaps that's because my job involves a lot of heavily monitored and second-guessed quality review. Come to think of it, that might be why I like judging so much...do I secretly like my job so much I continue it unprovoked in my free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

the reveal is upon us! so exciting. I can't wait to see what you built, ponies.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

12. - Top - End - #252

NecromancerGuy

Final tallies are at hand! I have to say I really loved every build offered up this time. Good show, all.

1st Place - The Sacred Demon: The Dark Fiddler

2nd Place - The Rag and Bone Man: Venger

3rd Place - Captain Wyrmbeard: The Gilded Duke

Luc: OMG PONIES

Honorable Mention - Eshpaunsuud Zhirvaush: Kazyan

Reykja Skjar: DemonRoach

Mother Morrigna: Piggy Knowles

Baby the Bearbarian: Macabaret (who deserves special mention for sending in an entry before ever posting anywhere in GitP forums; his entry message showed him as a "Ghost in the Playground")

Bloody Hands Butcher: TheGeckoKing

Ash'okk Lar: GreenSerpent

Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground XXXVII will be up shortly, and thanks again to our new volunteer trophy maker, Kuulvheysoon!

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

I was extremely impressed with captain wrymbeard. before judging, I was certain he'd get gold.

congratulations all round! this was a good round, this ingredient was harder than I thought.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

14. - Top - End - #254

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    I was extremely impressed with captain wrymbeard. before judging, I was certain he'd get gold.

congratulations all round! this was a good round, this ingredient was harder than I thought.
    I think there was a good argument to be made for about half of the entries to get 1st place scoring from a given judge; that's one reason I hope to see more folks judge the next contest.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground

Awesome job, Fiddler! I really enjoyed the story behind your build. And great job also to Venger, Gilded Duc and Kazyan!

Is it sad that I can start telling the identity of some chefs based on how the entries are formatted? Even when they aren't identical, there are often some similarities in style that are giveaways.

Unfortunately, I ran out of time when cooking, and ended up submitting an essentially incomplete build. I probably should have just not submitted and judged instead, but I decided to throw the last few pieces together and submit. Ended up with my lowest position ever as a result.

The idea was to create an ancient witch, with her abilities mostly being focused around shape-changing, enchantments and the "evil eye." She would be connected to an ancient presence that predated the gods, and channel its power to bind demons to herself. The inspiration was the Morgeau character from A. A. Attanasio's Arthurian series.

I wanted a better closer to the build than Mystic Theurge, and some of the other options I considered included Dread Witch, Thaumaturgist and Magical Trickster. But I was running up against the deadline and hadn't even begun the fluff sections, and since I'd already qualified for Mystic Theurge, I decided to just plug it in to finish the build.

I also didn't write anything up explaining my abilities, as I usually do, and there was no real way to get across the theme of my build. Ended up being fairly uninspired, with the only remotely interesting thing being the early-entry and using Acolyte of the Skin to help qualify for Ur-Priest.

Re: a couple of T.G.'s issues with the build, I didn't bring these up during the judging because I didn't think they were enough to effect judging, but I did want to address a couple of points. Note that I actually agree with your assessment of the build, which is why I didn't dispute anything. This isn't nitpicking your scores, just answering some of the questions you posed in your judging:

Spoiler
    Show

1. The idea of a character being dedicated to both Malcanthet (a Demon Queen) and Ragnorra (an Elder Evil)... this actually isn't as strange as it sounds. If you notice in Elder Evils, almost all of the sample characters have Abyss-Bound Soul, and it specifically mentions a Demon Prince working for an Elder Evil in the first section. The fluff differs from place to place, but the Elder Evils are mostly interested in the Prime Material, and don't particularly care if you give your soul to a demon for power. Meanwhile, the demons are happy to use the chaos caused by the Elder Evils to their advantage.

2. Re: the choice of savage bard over regular bard, yes, the flavor fits much better than standard bard. But it's also the superior mechanical choice for this build. Basically every spell of note that I "lose" as a savage bard is on the cleric list, meaning I get it back as an Ur-Priest. And it also has a superior save progression, especially on one looking for fast qualification into Ur-Priest.

3. Re: what dedication to an Elder Evil gets me from a power point of view, without it I would not have been able to qualify for AotS at 4th level and still manage to get in the pre-reqs for Ur-Priest.

4. Yeah, I did plan on using Doomspeak in tandem with my "evil eye" abilities, but I never got around to writing up a "Secret Ingredient" section of the build. Ah, well... just have to get started earlier next time!
    Last edited by Piggy Knowles; 2012-09-08 at 08:24 PM.
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

16. - Top - End - #256
    Banned

Extra time was removed in the interest of keeping the process from dragging on, a good while ago. If there's sufficient support for it, I'm willing to revisit the issue, but the time per contest is a potential concern.
    It's a double edged sword. More time brings more judges in, but drags the contest one. Tough cookie.

What, precisely, is meant by "interfering with judgings?" Does that mean contestants' concerns should not be posted at all, or. . .?
    I don't know. Maybe? Maybe disputes should be handled only by PMs.
    But I think the most important thing is to tone down the snark and that counts for everyone, even me. We're dealing with other people's work here and respect should always be more important than a pun or joke.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Whoa, thanks to those who put Zhirvaush in for Honorable Mention. Glee! Congratulations to The Dark Fiddler, Venger, and The Gilded Duke. And to everyone else who made something of the Acolyte!

T.G. Oskar, I'm flattered that you thought highly enough of Zhirvaush to want to retool the entire PrC, though I'm concerned that you feel the need for an 'olive leaf'. Your judging wasn't harsh. In fact, I think you let the build get away with a few things.

It's odd that Glare of the Pit basically wasn't mentioned in your judging (not to complain), because it was the starting point for Zhirvaush. "Hey, two attacks. Rogue time. But I need a caster level. Spellthief, then. Wait, this means he can steal energy resistance. Let's see where else I get synergy! Whaddya mean 'everywhere'?" Heh. Gotta get a little more creative with how I use this stuff.

Also, things I may no longer do in Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground: Create a custom image, then host it in the same photobucket account as my avatar. *changes it back*
    Last edited by Kazyan; 2012-09-08 at 07:04 PM.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

Speaking a bit about Thiago's concerns:

Two weeks to judge may not seem like a lot, but I considered it was just enough. My original estimate was five days given that I thought I could handle 2 posts per day, but I found an unexpected distraction that nearly doubled the time. Fortunately I still managed to pull it off at the last estimate, which was a week and a half.

I'd love to say time management is necessary, but that's not usually the case. Acolyte of the Skin is VERY hard to deal with, because it has a lot of 1/day abilities that are distinct enough that trying to cater to them all seems nightmarish. That, coupled with how apparently easy it is to enter, makes judgment a challenge (I mean, how many entries had a trick for early entry, and how many failed to reach entry whatsoever?)

As for the disputes...this is something I wanted to discuss in detail. As usual, it's part of the rules that all disputes have to be screened through the Chairman, in hopes of retaining anonymity. This was sadly broken in this competition, and probably because of a passionate response.

Serpent, regardless of whether this was your first competition or not, going all sarcastic towards a judge isn't a good idea. There's a lot to learn (and a lot to suffer) from having an entry in the last position. I still have one thorn in my side that's aching (look at the Mythic Exemplar competition and realize whose entry got last place...) I find that to be a drive for latter competitions: after that entry (Geoffrey, if you're curious; he also went for Nuaeral), I proposed I wouldn't make a weak entry once again. I still haven't reached gold, but last competition earned me a silver. During that competition, I had some issues and I got downright pissed because I had a decent entry but the judges looked at it and thought it wasn't as impressive as another entry that was pretty similar. I still have my issues with the class because of it (particularly because it's the only PrC that advances auras altogether, and it does it poorly). I asked later on, when the competition was over, for alternatives; I had another entry cooking, but it was impossible because the entry requirements and advancement only worked with extraordinary auras, not supernatural auras (what you get if you become a Dragon Shaman). There was another set of variants using Sorcerer instead of Bard, and those were just as bad. That's 4 builds, and each and every of them would have probably gotten the same score.

Every other attempt has just been getting up. Violet Rose (War Mind: an equally frustrating entry that was once again close to last place because of bad decisions), Ilphaiid (Assassin: didn't won, was THIS close to be a silver medal but another judge thought other builds were better, still was interesting enough for consideration into a Handbook because of how it dealt with Poisons), Almia (Dread Pirate, once again at 6th place, but didn't matter because of...), Vincent (also Dread Pirate, and this close to reach gold, but eventually had to settle for Silver), Mina (Death Delver, 4th place and tied with Dark Fantastic who got higher because of popular acclaim) and Mortimus (also Death Delver, and another silver medal). Each and every one of these entries was inspired towards avenging that first, sorry excuse for an entry. I treat myself harsh, but I do it not out of anger to myself, but because I've already tasted ultimate defeat and know there's no other choice but to go up.

Most of the time I judged things, Originality has had a strong basis on backstory. As you can see, even Geoffrey had a solid backstory, and that didn't help him get rescued from the heap, but it made Originality scores stand usually at 3. Most of them were impressed by the strong backstory, even if the entry method was already repeated. Originality, IMO, is harder to judge than the other three scores because it's subjective, not entirely objective: as I mentioned, an old build can be made original just by doing some touches, but if they have a strong reason why they should exist. Rogue/Monk for Ilphaiid was really an unoriginal entry, but the story saved it. Rogue/Swashbuckler/Dread Pirate/Scarlet Corsair, as one of the judges pointed it out, was essentially a telegraphed entry, and was very unoriginal; not even the story saved that out. In the case of Ash'okk and you, I found that it had lots of unique things, but the underlying theme behind them was so flimsy IMO, that it didn't justify a high Originality score just because. It probably was an Elegance thing...after all the competitions where I've been judged and where I've been a judge, I found it was more of an Originality issue than an Elegance issue.

The point I want to reach, though, was that the answer got really out of hand. Thiago probably pointed that out, being the most supportive: it took me some time (more than I expected), and I mentioned it would contain a lot of vitriol, but what surprised me was the way you pretty much broke anonymity because you thought my judging was unfair, when the Chairman took it on his own to do the request on your behalf, probably before you even suggested it. At least, that's what I perceive. Disputes through PM and showed by the Chairman are essentially tradition (and IIRC, an extra-official rule).

If I were a bit more petty, I would have simply removed my entries. Perhaps the Chairman would have spoken his thoughts regarding the situation, perhaps he would have shown his accustomed professionalism and given the chance to another judge to deliver scores so that the competition had a winner, perhaps he would have ignored that petty action of mine...I'm not entirely sure what would have happened. All I know for sure is that, when I decided to re-evaluate your score once I realized the Chairman was not happy with my explanation on the matter and actually agreed with you, I declined my right to an apology, if there was one. You know, in order to promote good sportsmanship.

Thurbane: taking "poetic license" with a backstory...what was exactly the meaning behind it? I found an issue with the story that I felt affected his originality so I decked him hard: is that what you mean by poetic license? I've seen the opposite happen, where a good backstory rescues what would otherwise be an unoriginal story, so I don't find it wrong that the extreme opposite isn't true. Regardless, I found that answer a bit off-hand.

That said, I'm not entirely sure if I should ever judge again. This is the first time people are outright pissed at a judge, including the Chairman, because of what amounts to criterion: I reneged because the Chairman insisted he needed a more complete, encompassing judgment that evaluated every aspect and not just what I felt was the biggest letdown on the entry (in fact, leading to the idea that I evaluated the score on a completely faulty premise), but the other answers essentially attacked me because I chose a specific criteria that I found was essential to Originality (the backstory). There's no tried-and-true method to judge Originality, and being too extreme in one side (either backstory, as I did, or mechanically) punishes otherwise great builds because they need to essentially cripple themselves in order to aim for great scores everywhere. It's partly the reason why I never give criteria: I don't want people catering to my tastes, and I want the builds to be completely blind, given enough freedom so that they can do what they desire, take the penalties where they need to, but also rack up the points where they need to. Perhaps with another judge the results would have been completely different, but no one could imagine that judging this competition would be so intimidating. But, just as my answer was essentially passionate (driven by emotions) and thus might have seemed unfitting, I find the responses to it equally passionate. If that's what's gonna happen every time I try to pull off the Simon Cowell to the judging scene, then it's for the best that I refrain from doing so, because the last thing we need is to return to a moment where disputes got so heated that they caused bans.

Re: a couple of T.G.'s issues with the build, I didn't bring these up during the judging because I didn't think they were enough to effect judging, but I did want to address a couple of points. Note that I actually agree with your assessment of the build, which is why I didn't dispute anything. This isn't nitpicking your scores, just answering some of the questions you posed in your judging:

Spoiler
    Show

1. The idea of a character being dedicated to both Malcanthet (a Demon Queen) and Morrigna (an Elder Evil)... this actually isn't as strange as it sounds. If you notice in Elder Evils, almost all of the sample characters have Abyss-Bound Soul, and it specifically mentions a Demon Prince working for an Elder Evil in the first section. The fluff differs from place to place, but the Elder Evils are mostly interested in the Prime Material, and don't particularly care if you give your soul to a demon for power. Meanwhile, the demons are happy to use the chaos caused by the Elder Evils to their advantage.

2. Re: the choice of savage bard over regular bard, yes, the flavor fits much better than standard bard. But it's also the superior mechanical choice for this build. Basically every spell of note that I "lose" as a savage bard is on the cleric list, meaning I get it back as an Ur-Priest. And it also has a superior save progression, especially on one looking for fast qualification into Ur-Priest.

3. Re: what dedication to an Elder Evil gets me from a power point of view, without it I would not have been able to qualify for AotS at 4th level and still manage to get in the pre-reqs for Ur-Priest.

4. Yeah, I did plan on using Doomspeak in tandem with my "evil eye" abilities, but I never got around to writing up a "Secret Ingredient" section of the build. Ah, well... just have to get started earlier next time!
    Erm, that whole essay above? I really wouldn't have gotten pissed if you had your issues delivered to the Chairman. Perhaps I would have answered in the same passionate tone as the others, but who knows? Maybe it would have been different.

That said:
    1. Had you mentioned that on the build, I might have had considered it.
    2. Savage Bard DID had its reasons to apply. Some of the spells would have, of course, been reestablished with Ur-Priest, but given that Ur-Priest also has a wider choice of spells, they may have been lost within the great set of spells the class gets. However, most times the game suggests that savage races (Orcs, Goblinoids, etc.) and tribal communities tend to incline towards bard as a religious figure, and Savage Bard was pretty close to that idea. Savage Bard has a strong "warrior skald" feel, though, but it would have been a cause for adjustment.
    3. Another thing that's pegged towards "should have explained it". It seems that getting that late entry really made a number on Morrigna, by what you suggest, because it was a pretty creative method to fulfill your entry methods. That said, since the bonus feats you got were Vile feats, perhaps it was important to consider whether the feats really were necessary or worthwhile. As they stand, they range from good (Dark Speech!) to so-so.
    4. I can understand you missed that. You don't know how many things I've missed that would have made a change on the build. Doomspeak, properly explained, would have made a massive change, if only because it's a surprisingly brutal debuff. It's probably one of the most brutal I've ever seen, since it makes landing a status effect pretty much a cinch. Done with another debuffer, or as part of a group, it can be twice as dangerous.
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by T.G. Oskar View Post
    Erm, that whole essay above? I really wouldn't have gotten pissed if you had your issues delivered to the Chairman. Perhaps I would have answered in the same passionate tone as the others, but who knows? Maybe it would have been different.
    Eh, no biggie. Like I said above, I submitted an incomplete entry, so I wasn't upset at getting a low score. I'm not going to submit a dispute when it's my fault for not explaining things properly. The point of me mentioning it now was to explain what my intentions were, not to argue the score you gave.
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

Awesome job, Fiddler! I really enjoyed the story behind your build. And great job also to Venger, Gilded Duc and Kazyan!
    Is it sad that I can start telling the identity of some chefs based on how the entries are formatted? Even when they aren't identical, there are often some similarities in style that are giveaways.
    truthfully, I am the same. I was able to call both morrigna and parsifal as yours due to the formatting. did you guess rag and bone man because of mine?

thanks for the kind words about rag and bone man, guys, and thumbs up to T.G. Oskar for getting my hellraiser reference. That is why I picked chain devil for my skin, because it fit so perfectly with how the cenobites were in the book.

the mistake in the backstory (glad no one noticed) was a small typo, referring to "mortal character" instead of "moral character" an odd freudian slip that ended up being an unintentional meta-joke/foreshadowing.

Iron Chef Medals!

21. - Top - End - #261
    Bugbear in the Playground

That said, I'm not entirely sure if I should ever judge again.[/LIST]
    If anyone thinks this than don't raise your hand.

"raises hand"

Edit: SO MUCH D'OH. I meant to not put my hand up.
    Last edited by 123456789blaaa; 2012-09-08 at 10:15 PM.

22. - Top - End - #262

That said, I'm not entirely sure if I should ever judge again. This is the first time people are outright pissed at a judge, including the Chairman, because of what amounts to criterion:
    Sadly, it's not the first time people have been pissed about a judge's criteria.

On the topic of attracting more judges:

One thing that has discouraged me from judging again is bad memories of one participant getting quite upset with me the time I judged.

Another thing that has discouraged me from judging is the need to post criteria beforehand. Not only does doing so feel like making a commitment to have time to judge; it also is something that I don't know how to express or put in words.

Not sure what the solution to either of those is. Just two topics to consider on the subject of judges.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    Another thing that has discouraged me from judging is the need to post criteria beforehand. Not only does doing so feel like making a commitment to have time to judge; it also is something that I don't know how to express or put in words.

Not sure what the solution to either of those is. Just two topics to consider on the subject of judges.
    posting criteria helps you as a judge just as much as it does the chairman and chefs. I know it did for my back in cryokineticist.

it helps you make sure you're being consistent with everyone. it helped me a lot to have a "checklist" of stuff I was checking each build for. it also helps judges keep one another honest (contestants too) for example, if you said "I will take points away from stealth builds that do not have darkstalker" and you take points away from everyone who didn't except 1 guy, you are not obeying your own rules, so this helps everyone make sure that you're applying them fairly.

it really helped me a ton to make sure that I gave everyone points for the same stuff. if I hadn't written my criteria down, it would have been very hard to keep it all straight in my head.

Iron Chef Medals!

24. - Top - End - #264

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TG Oskar
    This is the first time people are outright pissed at a judge, including the Chairman
    FWIW, I haven't gotten "outright pissed" at anyone in any of these challenges. Concerns expressed on judgments while I am Chairman - in this contest and past ones - are just that, concerns, and are almost invariably expressed in my inbox before they see the thread.

I also almost invariably see concerns that I can address without posting them in the thread, incidentally.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #265
    Bugbear in the Playground

That said, I'm not entirely sure if I should ever judge again.[/LIST]
    If anyone thinks this than don't raise your hand.

"raises hand"

Edit: SO MUCH D'OH. I meant to not put my hand up.
    In case T.G oskar dnd't see my edit, here it is. I really wouldn't want him to think I was putting down his judging.

To add a bit more substance to my post, I would like to say that T.G makes amazing (he was my favorite judge in the ardent dilennte competition), detailed judgings that pull no punches and that I highly doubt anyone wants him to stop.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

I really enjoyed T.G. Oskars judging and thought with my build at least he could have even been a little more critical. It looks like I forgot to take that whole intimidate a group skill trick, among other things. There is a place for more critical judging and I really enjoyed the specificity and using scores more precise then .5. I'd encourage Oskar to judge again.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Gilded Duke View Post
    I really enjoyed T.G. Oskars judging and thought with my build at least he could have even been a little more critical. It looks like I forgot to take that whole intimidate a group skill trick, among other things. There is a place for more critical judging and I really enjoyed the specificity and using scores more precise then .5. I'd encourage Oskar to judge again.
    Never outnumbered. I love that skilltrick. maybe you can use it in justiciar, they've got intimidate as a class skill.

Iron Chef Medals!

28. - Top - End - #268
    Barbarian in the Playground

I believe Oskar's "judging on backstory" was mentioned back in Iron Chef VII. About how the entries with huge backstories got consistantly higher marks than those without.

Might be worth a read.
    Illumian Dread Necromancer Lich avatar by Tinymushroom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...

Blood~

29. - Top - End - #269

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSerpent View Post
    I believe Oskar's "judging on backstory" was mentioned back in Iron Chef VII. About how the entries with huge backstories got consistantly higher marks than those without.

Might be worth a read.
    1. T. G. Oskar wasn't a judge in Iron Chef VII.

2. Citing Iron Chef VII as an example of anything other than how we ought not to behave is probably a bad idea. Let's not go there.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #270

Not to change topics or anything , but I mentioned I'd post my second build idea after the final tallies. Here it was:

Human Conjurer 3/Acolyte of the Skin 4/Demonologist 9/Acolyte of the Skin 4 making use of the Fiendish Heritage feats from Complete Mage.

Demon Mastery (FC 1) would have provided a +1 bump to caster level, and Fiendish Power would have raised CL by another +1 when summoning evil creatures, since doing so makes Summon Monster spells into [Evil] spells. Invisible Spell and the Conjurer variants would have been used to summon augmented, invisible demons. Flavorwise, he was going to be a kid that thought he was communing with demons, while his family was concerned that he was just hearing voices in his head.

Eventually, Fiendish Legacy nets us a limited SMV 1/day (which Demonologist beefs up, eventually allowing us to summon CE Fiendish creatures from the SM IX list). However, it was a pretty weak trick that didn't really rely on Acolyte of the Skin for anything. In fact, Acolyte wasn't providing anything that looked better than levels in Master Specialist and Malconvoker, so I scrapped it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC