New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Question Just finished the archive.

I was just wondering if there's a schedule for how often new comics are posted? I currently read other webcomics that update Daily, M/W/F, Weekly, and whenever the author gets around to putting up a new one and was just curious about how this one will fight into my checking now that I can't read 10 new (to me) OOTS comics a day any more.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Just finished the archive.

There is no schedule. This is a sensitive subject around here, due to an unfortunate tendency in the past for people to post demanding the next comic and yelling at the author for being lazy.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Suffice it to say that Rich has an unspecified chronic but non-fatal health condition (at least, he never said what it was when he first announced it, it's possible he's loosened up a bit since then, although he's still rather private as I understand) that makes it difficult to nigh-impossible to keep a schedule. Once-Twice a week is considered normal/above average, although conventions can torpedo that. There is going to be a "One OOTS a day for a week nine days" sometime this year, although when Rich is going to do this only he knows.
    Last edited by Squark; 2012-08-24 at 10:48 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

In addition, the recent Kickstarter has probably put more on his plate than usual, so he now has a lot of side projects to keep track of.
    "Come play in the darkness with me."
    Thanks for the avatar, banjo1985!

Spoiler
    Show

I guess I'm a Neutral Good Human Wizard (4th Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength- 14
    Dexterity- 15
    Constitution- 17
    Intelligence- 20
    Wisdom- 20
    Charisma- 12
    Take the 'What D&D Character am I?" Quiz!

Somehow I doubt the veracity of this quiz :P
    Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Thanks for the quick responses. I have my own chronic health issues so I know how that can wreck plans and schedules. Since I do read a bunch of webcomics I don't feel the need to try and pressure any of the authors to hurry up and update since I always have something with new updates to check and then over analyze on the comic's forum.

6. - Top - End - #6

Welcome to this wondeful comic, then. The three answers above mine explain all that there is to be explained about the topic.
    The abilities of the Force: Control, Alter, Delete.
    Zombie Apocalypse if and only if Cake.
    My Little Dashie made me cry.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Edea View Post
    In addition, the recent Kickstarter has probably put more on his plate than usual, so he now has a lot of side projects to keep track of.
    I question your use of the word "probably" when a word such as "definitely" (as in, we know it for a fact) would be far more accurate.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2012-08-24 at 06:50 PM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grape Starburst View Post
    and then over analyze on the comic's forum
    Welcome home XD
    SSBitP
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "Creativity is the art of knowing how to hide one's sources." - Original quote, DO NOT STEAL.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Just to answer the question, right now the schedule seems to lie at "roughly every ten days". So it can be a week, but getting close to or above 14 days is also not unknown.
    So the not-existing-schedule seems to be "once in a while" at the moment.

Discussing that (or the reasons for it) seems sensitive. If you want to you can just check in the forum when the threads for the latest new comics have been posted and you have an idea.
    Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei, King Joffrey, The Tickler, The Hound, Ser Amory, Polliver, Raff the Sweetling, Weese, Dunsen, Nale, Ser Gregor Clegane and Chiswyck: Winter is coming!

10. - Top - End - #10

PirateGuy

well its getting close to the christmas season, he always picks up around then when he is trying to boost his sales. I actually have a theory he is going slow lately because he is building a buffer set so he can start rapid firing updates during the upcoming high sales period. he does use this to make a living after all, its marketing.
    Quote Originally Posted by theinsulabot;
    so before roland shows up and six guns us all, i would just like to say.....

six guns is not actually a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude;
    Sheriff: Six-gunned!
    all night guard of the fan club

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by theinsulabot View Post
    well its getting close to the christmas season, he always picks up around then when he is trying to boost his sales. I actually have a theory he is going slow lately because he is building a buffer set so he can start rapid firing updates during the upcoming high sales period. he does use this to make a living after all, its marketing.
    He said a while ago that he can never have a buffer, because if he finished strips and didn't post them right away he'd keep fiddling with them until they weren't any good anymore.

12. - Top - End - #12

PirateGuy

that does sound like the giant. Well maybe writing out the dialogue or possibly even perish the thought, spending some time resting and/or taking care of kickstarter stuff before he voluntarily swamps himself in work.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    He said a while ago that he can never have a buffer, because if he finished strips and didn't post them right away he'd keep fiddling with them until they weren't any good anymore.
    I don't think that one is in the Index-of-the Giant's-Comments thread, where did you read this?
    "Ignorance killed the cat, curiosity was framed."

Cryptic avatar made by the fantastic Linklele

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ref View Post
    Welcome to this wondeful comic, then. The three answers above mine explain all that there is to be explained about the topic.
    That said, even with comics that have regular update schedules and actually manage to stick to the, they're always best, in a way, right when you first discover them and do the archive binge. After that, even with comics that update daily, they never seem to come fast enough.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    That said, even with comics that have regular update schedules and actually manage to stick to the, they're always best, in a way, right when you first discover them and do the archive binge. After that, even with comics that update daily, they never seem to come fast enough.
    Just gives the fans time to over-analyze every minute detail and far left field theory possible.
    Chrono Crusade avi by Ceika.

Remember: Cough, Rough, Through, Though don't rhyme, but for some forsaken reason Pony and Bolonga do...
    They say history repeats itself, so does our constant use of emojis mean we're reverting back to Egyptian hieroglyphs?
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Steam Profile

16. - Top - End - #16
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Antonok View Post
    Just gives the fans time to over-analyze every minute detail and far left field theory possible.
    Try a Wheel of Time theory discussion panel at a convention. Or, better, on the fan sites dedicated to the series. I've never seen a webcomic fan group even come close to that level of over-analysis and crazy theorizing.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

The truly sad and cruel truth is that some of us very users of this forum will actually die without ever having seen how this awesome story ends. That is why books > webcomics (or any type of periodic magazines).

18. - Top - End - #18

Right. No one ever died between the second and third book in a trilogy coming out.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by konradknox View Post
    The truly sad and cruel truth is that some of us very users of this forum will actually die without ever having seen how this awesome story ends. That is why books > webcomics (or any type of periodic magazines).
    You just HAD to post this after somebody brought up Wheel of Time, didn't you
    SSBitP
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "Creativity is the art of knowing how to hide one's sources." - Original quote, DO NOT STEAL.

20. - Top - End - #20

Countless people have died since A Song of Ice and Fire started, countless people have died since The Order of the Stick started and countless others will die before any or both of them are done.

But what does it matter? If you die you do not care anymore and those close to you have (hopefully) different concerns than "Oh gawd, my sister/husband/childhood friend did not finish that webcomic before he got hit by that truck!"
    Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei, King Joffrey, The Tickler, The Hound, Ser Amory, Polliver, Raff the Sweetling, Weese, Dunsen, Nale, Ser Gregor Clegane and Chiswyck: Winter is coming!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Right... I'm sure that if at least these people could have seen how this comic ends before they died, they'd have been glad to die afterwards.

In other words, dying sucks, but dying without getting to see how the Order of the Stick ends, now that REALLY sucks. Is that your point?
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

22. - Top - End - #22

PirateGuy

maybe you will get lucky and it will turn out heaven has a wifi hotspot somewhere

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by theinsulabot View Post
    maybe you will get lucky and it will turn out heaven has a wifi hotspot somewhere
    What's this assumption everyone you know and like goes to heaven? How about your loved ones going to hell?

Check up George Carlin (youtube) on those topics.

24. - Top - End - #24

PirateGuy

its seems nicer then assuming everyone I know are hellbound jerks
    Last edited by theinsulabot; 2012-09-08 at 07:01 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25

Chimera

It's completely random, but the average is 5-6 days per chapter. But Rich can get slower or faster than that anytime. Sometimes we get 1 strip every day for a week, and sometimes we have 1 month with no updates.

It seems lame, but when you think about it, one strip of OOTS has a lot more content than most webcomics have in their strips. So you are more os less getting the same content you get in most webcomics.

I'm pretty sure I'm seeing the end of OOTS in a couple years, probably before I turn 30. But some webcomics are so slow I think they won't ever end.
    Last edited by Ninja Dragon; 2012-09-08 at 06:47 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Dragon View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm seeing the end of OOTS in a couple years, probably before I turn 30. But some webcomics are so slow I think they won't ever end.
    Long webcomics aren't a problem for me. I still read the first webcomic (Sluggy Freelance) that I started reading not long after I first got the internet way back in ancient times. That one had its 15th birthday a couple weeks ago. I don't think any of the other webcomics I've started reading since are close to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    What's this assumption everyone you know and like goes to heaven? How about your loved ones going to hell?
    They have to use dialup so the comic only loads partway before it times out.
    Last edited by Grape Starburst; 2012-09-14 at 07:34 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

Kish got it right.
    The abilities of the Force: Control, Alter, Delete.
    Zombie Apocalypse if and only if Cake.
    My Little Dashie made me cry.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!