New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [3.5 Base Class] The Anarch (PEACH)

Special Credit goes to Forever Curious for assisting with the design of this class. In addition, he will have more fluff coming soon.

A Note: I tried to balance this around Tier 3, but I have a feeling I'm off. As always, any comments and critiques are welcome.

The Anarch

“The laws of magic hold no sway on me.”
    –Marianna Onel, Anarch

Wizards cast spells through intense study and knowledge. Sorcerers, through draconic heritage. The Anarch, however, has none of these things, instead drawing their magical power through a connection to pure chaos. Because of this, they have very little control over her abilities, yet access to great magical power.

Background: Anarchs receive their magical aptitude similar to sorcerers: magic is as inherent to them as walking. Unlike Sorcerers, however, there is no connection to heritage. Anarchs have always existed since the creation of the universe, but until recently were regarded as low-power sorcerers unable to control their “draconic heritage”. However, with the rise of Marianna Onel came a greater understanding of the Anarch's unique abilities.

Races: Any member of any race can be born as an Anarch. However, Humans make up the majority of the Anarch populations, with Halflings and Gnomes being prone to the class as well. Half-Orc anarchs are typically respected for their powerful (if not volatile) arcane power. Elvish Anarchs are rare, with many opting to stifle their chaotic tendencies for a more refined approach to magic.

Other classes: Anarchs tend to get along with sorcerers and bards, who share their innate gifts of magic. They also, surprisingly, enjoy the presence of barbarians, whose berserker fighting abilities are similar to an Anarch's spell casting. Anarchs don’t get on well with wizards and clerics due to their insistence on law and codes.

Role: Anarchs fill the role as a primary caster. The average Anarch typically only specializes in one school of magic (more often than not evocation) due to their unpredictable spellcasting. However, they can be powerful support casters, but only if they train themselves to do so.

Anarchs in the world: In general, the common person would be unable to distinguish between an Anarch and a Sorcerer. However, to those who practice magic, the difference is all too frightening. Many educated folks try to avoid dealing with an anarch for fear of their power and unpredictability.

Inspiration: My friend was laughing about having an arcane class that can’t control its casting. I went with it.

Game Rule Information

Alignment: Chaotic. Do I really have to explain why?
    Hit Die: d4. An anarch is a caster.
    Starting Gold: As Sorcerer.

Class Skills:
    The class skills for an Anarch (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).
    Skill Points at 1st Level: (2+Int Mod) x4
    Skill Points at Each Additional Level: (2+Int Mod)

The Anarch
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special |0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Spellcasting, Random casting, Spell Enhancement (0 level)|--|1

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Eschew Materials|--|2

3rd|
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Improved Casting (2 rolls)|--|4|2

4th|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Chaotic Casting, Spell Enhancement (1 level)|--|--|4

5th|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Bonus Feat|--|--|6|2

6th|
    +3
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Chaotic Caster|--|--|8|4

7th|
    +3
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Spell Enhancement (2nd level)|--|--|--|6|2

8th|
    +4
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |Aura of Chaos|--|--|--|8|4

9th|
    +4
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |Spell Enhancement (3rd level)|--|--|--|--|6|2

10th|
    +5
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Bonus Feat|--|--|--|--|8|4

11th|
    +5
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Improved Casting (3 rolls)|--|--|--|--|8|6|2

12th|
    +6/1
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +8
    |Spell Enhancement (4th Level)|--|--|--|--|--|8|2

13th|
    +6/1
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +8
    | Reckless Dweomer|--|--|--|--|--|10|4

14th|
    +7/2
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +9
    | Lucky Spell|--|--|--|--|--|12|6|

15th|
    +7/2
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +9
    |Bonus Feat, Spell Enhancement (5th level)|--|--|--|--|--|--|8

16th|
    +8/3
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +10
    |Improved Chaotic Caster|--|--|--|--|--|--|10

17th|
    +8/3
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +10
    |Improved Casting (4 rolls)|--|--|--|--|--|--|11

18th|
    +9/4
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +11
    |Spell Enhancement (6th level) |--|--|--|--|--|--|--

19th|
    +9/4
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +11
    |Bonus Feat|--|--|--|--|--|--|--

20th|
    +10/5
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +12
    |Fate’s Casting|--|--|--|--|--|--|-- [/table]

Spoiler
    Show
    Spells Known:
    {table=head]Level|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th

1st|6|3|-|-|-|-|-
    2nd|6|3|-|-|-|-|-
    3rd|8|4|3|-|-|-|-
    4th|8|4|3|-|-|-|-
    5th|8|4|4|3|-|-|-
    6th|8|4|4|3|-|-|-
    7th|10|6|4|4|3|-|-
    8th|10|6|4|4|3|-|-
    9th|10|6|6|4|4|3|-
    10th|10|6|6|4|4|3|-
    11th|12|8|6|6|4|4|3
    12th|12|8|6|6|4|4|3
    13th|12|8|8|6|6|4|4
    14th|12|8|8|6|6|4|4
    15th|12|10|8|8|6|6|4
    16th|12|10|8|8|6|6|4
    17th|12|10|10|8|8|6|6
    18th|12|10|10|8|8|6|6
    19th|12|12|10|10|8|8|6
    20th|12|12|10|10|8|8|6[/table]

Class Features:

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Anarchs are proficient in the use of simple weapons.

Spellcasting: An Anarch casts arcane spells which are drawn from the sorcerer/wizard spell list. An Anarch regains spell slots after 8 hours of rest. He casts spells as a sorcerer, following the spells known table above. However, an Anarch is unique in that he has two separate spells known lists, both of the same size. A spell can be learned on both spell lists, if desired.

To learn, prepare, or cast a spell, the Anarch must have a Charisma score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against an Anarch’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the Anarch's Charisma modifier. An Anarch gains bonus spells per day based on her Charisma score. An Anarch must have his Spells Known list full at all times.

Random Casting:When an Anarch casts a spell, he first chooses the level of the spell to cast and which spells known list to cast it from. Then, he rolls randomly to determine what spell he casts from that spells known list. Finally, the Anarch makes all choices that must be made for the spell, such as its target. Because of this, an Anarch cannot predict which spell they will cast and they cannot use metamagic feats. In addition, the casting time of all spells an Anarch casts is 1 standard action.

Eschew Materials: The Anarch gains Eschew Materials as a bonus feat.

Spell Enhancement: An Anarch may cast spells of the given level and below as supernatural abilities at will. Their save DCs become 10 + ˝ the Anarch’s caster level + the Anarch’s Charisma Modifier.

Chaotic Casting: Whenever an Anarch casts a spell, he may roll 1d6. On a result of 1, 2, or 3, this ability does nothing. On a 4, the spell may be cast as if it was stilled, without the increase in spell level or casting time. On a 5, the spell is silenced in the same manner. On a 6, the spell is both stilled and silenced, again in the same manner.

Bonus Feat: The Anarch may gain a bonus feat. They may choose from any item creation feat, any luck feat, Spell Penetration, Spell Mastery, and Spell Focus.

Improved Casting: When an Anarch casts a spell, he may roll the given number of times and choose the preferred result.

Chaotic Caster: When an Anarch casts a spell, he may choose to lower his caster level by 3 for the spell. If he does, he rolls 1d6 and adds the result to his caster level for the spell.

Aura of Chaos: A number of times per day equal to his Charisma Modifier, the Anarch may create a 30 foot aura around him as a standard action. Whenever a creature in the area makes a roll, the creature instead rolls 2 dice and the Anarch chooses one. The creature uses the chosen die’s result. This effect lasts 1 round/class level.

Reckless Dweomer An Anarch knows how to spontaneously convert her own spell energy into random, unpredictable results. At will, as a standard action, he can create an effect similar to that of activating a rod of wonder. See page 237 of the Dungeon Master’s Guide for details on the rod of wonder.

Lucky Spell: Whenever an Anarch casts a spell, he may roll 1d20. On a 15 or higher, he may add the roll result minus 15 bonus metamagic levels to the spell. These do not have to be metamagic feats he knows, and do not alter the level nor casting time of the spell. In addition to this, on a 20, the spell slot is not used up.

Improved Chaotic Caster: When an Anarch casts a spell, he may choose to lower his caster level by 5 for the spell. If he does, he rolls 1d12 and adds the result to his caster level for the spell. He still retains his Chaotic Caster ability.

Fate’s Casting: A number of times per day equal to his Charisma modifier, an Anarch may bypass his Random Casting when he casts a spell and choose which spell he will cast.

(Image from http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/l...sSorcerer1.jpg)
    Last edited by Rauthiss; 2010-06-16 at 04:50 PM.
    Homebrew Hoard
    Current Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All images by myself.

Last edited by Rauthiss : Today at 6:66 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5 Base Class] The Anarch (PEACH)

Just a few things...

Quote Originally Posted by Jacarath View Post
    Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Lifeweavers are proficient in the use of simple weapons.
    I sense copy-pasta?

Spell Enhancement: An Anarch may cast spells of the given level and below as supernatural abilities at will. Their save DCs become 10 + ˝ the Anarch’s caster level + the Anarch’s Charisma Modifier.
    I'm assuming "Spell Mastery (6th level)" is the same thing? (check your table)

I probably missed other things, but we'll see what our panel of experts has to say.
    Last edited by Forever Curious; 2010-03-11 at 11:55 AM.
    Kaalia Verk avatar by Rauthiss.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

You have Lifeweaver in there still for the armor and weapon proficiencies.

Anyway... how would you play this class? You have absolutely no ability to decide which spell you're using on a given turn; that's kind of ridiculous...

Also, do they lose lower level spell slots?

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by DragoonWraith View Post
    You have Lifeweaver in there still for the armor and weapon proficiencies.

Anyway... how would you play this class? You have absolutely no ability to decide which spell you're using on a given turn; that's kind of ridiculous...

Also, do they lose lower level spell slots?
    The way I see it, the trick would be to specialize entirely (such as only being a blaster, a controller, etc.).

And...technically. The spells you know become at will supernatural abilities.

5. - Top - End - #5

@Forever Curious: Derp derp derp, both are fixed.

@DragoonWraith: You play it however you want is the simple answer. I can see a blasting build built on this. Basically, I wanted to make yet another class that was really "out there"

As for losing lower level spell slots, They become at will when you gain Spell Enhancement for their level. I removed their place in the table to simulate this.
    Homebrew Hoard
    Current Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All images by myself.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forever Curious View Post
    The way I see it, the trick would be to specialize entirely (such as only being a blaster, a controller, etc.).

And...technically. The spells you know become at will supernatural abilities.
    Do those supernatural abilities suffer from Random Casting as well?

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Do those supernatural abilities suffer from Random Casting as well?
    Yes. Yes they do

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Yes. Yes they do
    I have a feeling this class is unplayably bad then. You have a large number of spells, can't decide how you use them, and have no choice but pray you get something handy. I can just see players getting shafted, because they rolled Mage Armor like 8 times running.

It's not a BAD concept, but it needs some stability to be playable at all. Perhaps you should take a page from the 2e Wild Mage, and include the Chaos Shield and Improved Chaos Shield spells as class features.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

9. - Top - End - #9

I have a feeling this class is unplayably bad then. You have a large number of spells, can't decide how you use them, and have no choice but pray you get something handy. I can just see players getting shafted, because they rolled Mage Armor like 8 times running.

It's not a BAD concept, but it needs some stability to be playable at all. Perhaps you should take a page from the 2e Wild Mage, and include the Chaos Shield and Improved Chaos Shield spells as class features.
    Hmm...I see...

Then again, we were hoping the fact you can get spells at will would balance it somewhat, in addition to adding slightly more control to the casting. *shrug* I think a playtest is in order...

10. - Top - End - #10

In addition, the Improved Casting ability offers some choice at later levels.
    Homebrew Hoard
    Current Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All images by myself.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm...I see...

Then again, we were hoping the fact you can get spells at will would balance it somewhat, in addition to adding slightly more control to the casting. *shrug* I think a playtest is in order...
    Improved Casting doesn't kick in until level 6. Surviving that long would be... difficult.

Note that I'm not saying your goal was BAD, just that the final product is too hard to control at lower levels, where casters have issues living through anything.

Also, the idea that having at-will random effects offsets the issues isn't the case, mostly because it wastes the caster's time. Yeah, I can do this all day... but if it takes me THREE ROUNDS to get something good? That's long enough for a PC to have been killed, cause I rolled Stoneskin or something.

EDIT: My suggestion? Move Improved Casting to level 3, and make them more uncommon. Don't give as many rerolls, but give them sooner. Probably cap out at 4 honestly, since that's quite a few, and defeats the point of the class being random.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2010-03-11 at 12:19 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Minor nitpick:You have 3 1st level spells known at level 1, but no spell slots of that level. Other than that, the class looks...interesting. I would probably give it a shot and play it if I had the chance.

[3.5] The Magus: A hopefully happy medium between wizards and sorcerers. Please, do PEACH.

I enjoy pushing the boundaries of 3.5. Sometimes I end somewhere with a nice balance that's fun, sometimes I end up with no balance at all. I never know until I try, right?

13. - Top - End - #13

Fixed in the most minor way possible. :p
    Homebrew Hoard
    Current Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All images by myself.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Fixed in the most minor way possible. :p
    Another minor note: In core, there AREN'T 20 Cantrips for Sor/Wiz. Just sayin'.

15. - Top - End - #15

Another minor note: In core, there AREN'T 20 Cantrips for Sor/Wiz. Just sayin'.
    Verdammt, I was worried about that.

In other news, What are some thoughts about letting Anarchs learn spells from the cleric and druid spell lists as well? That would solve the problem above, as well as, I assume, make them a bit more playable.
    Homebrew Hoard
    Current Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All images by myself.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

In other news, What are some thoughts about letting Anarchs learn spells from the cleric and druid spell lists as well? That would solve the problem above, as well as, I assume, make them a bit more playable.
    Eh, yes, it would make them better at low levels, but at high levels, it'd be highly broken, since they're at-will spon casters with anything known? Yeah, that's amazing.

I'd say no, and just alter the Imp Casting progression to help out lower levels some.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

If you do that, remember to bar them from lawful ones for obvious reasons.

[3.5] The Magus: A hopefully happy medium between wizards and sorcerers. Please, do PEACH.

I enjoy pushing the boundaries of 3.5. Sometimes I end somewhere with a nice balance that's fun, sometimes I end up with no balance at all. I never know until I try, right?

18. - Top - End - #18

Arguskos, you bring up a good point. SO... Lower cantrips known to the next lowest die size (12), toss out Improved Casting (5 rolls), move 2 rolls to 3rd level, and switch Fate's gift and 4 rolls? How does that sound?
    Homebrew Hoard
    Current Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All images by myself.

19. - Top - End - #19

Or perhaps only able to cast [Chaos] divine spells, although that's hardly a power increase until higher levels...

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Or perhaps only able to cast [Chaos] divine spells, although that's hardly a power increase until higher levels...
    You can summon anarchic monkies.

You can do that anyway, but you can do it with divine authority like that.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Arguskos, you bring up a good point. SO... Lower cantrips known to the next lowest die size (12), toss out Improved Casting (5 rolls), move 2 rolls to 3rd level, and switch Fate's gift and 4 rolls? How does that sound?
    Honestly? Sounds good. I still am leery of the class, simply cause I dislike leaving everything up to chance (seen too many good characters die that way), but, it could be a fun diversion every once in awhile.

22. - Top - End - #22

Alright, that's done. Now to get some more opinions.
    Homebrew Hoard
    Current Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All images by myself.

23. - Top - End - #23

Not being restricted to just 6th level spells would open up options. Seeing as how this guy gets level 6 spells at around 11th or 12th level, same as other casters, why does it stop there? You are behind the curve majorly this way.
    Last edited by Dante & Vergil; 2010-03-11 at 02:59 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Mm. Also, having more levels/fewer known per level might help a lot to give them some control over which spell they'll actually cast...

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Dante & Vergil View Post
    Not being restricted to just 6th level spells would open up options. Seeing as how this guy gets level 6 spells at around 11th or 12th level, same as other casters, why does it stop there? You are behind the curve majorly this way.
    I wanted this to be around tier 3/4 Balance wise, and I figured removing spells above 6th would be a quick and balanced (hopefully) fix.
    Homebrew Hoard
    Current Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All images by myself.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

I like it alot. But then, I like randomness.

I feel as though the level 0 known spells is a bit redundant when it reaches friggin twenty. Wouldn't it just be easier to say "you know all level 0 spells ever"?

Seems more likely you'd roll a d8 with the following
    1=no spell casted
    2=level 0
    3=level 1
    4=level 2
    5=level 3
    6=level 4
    7=level 5
    6=level 6

And then you cast a spell from your list of known spells based on what the dice cameup. So you do get SOME selection, but no control over the spell level.

I like it overall though. I believe the special abilities help out alot since it's neither a full caster nor a reliable one.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Corporate M View Post
    I like it alot. But then, I like randomness.

I feel as though the level 0 known spells is a bit redundant when it reaches friggin twenty. Wouldn't it just be easier to say "you know all level 0 spells ever"?

Seems more likely you'd roll a d8 with the following
    1=no spell casted
    2=level 0
    3=level 1
    4=level 2
    5=level 3
    6=level 4
    7=level 5
    6=level 6

And then you cast a spell from your list of known spells based on what the dice cameup. So you do get SOME selection, but no control over the spell level.

I like it overall though. I believe the special abilities help out alot since it's neither a full caster nor a reliable one.
    I plan to change the maximum number of cantrips known to 12, after ArgusKos' Comment above.

As for the random level, I avoided that mainly to avoid rolling odd die sizes such as d7. While I know it's possible on the forum roller, It's not as easy in tabletop play. Notice that the spells known lists match dice sizes - That's intentional.

Thank you!
    Homebrew Hoard
    Current Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All images by myself.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, I think it may be too weak with both the random casting and only going to 6th level spells. They maybe should get some minimal control over spells. Say some small number of times daily you can control actively which spell? If for example it was class level/3 times daily (starting at 3rd level) that would probably help.

I suspect that this class is still going to be very weak. It might be interesting to play in that out of combat when you've got time you can just repeatedly try to cast the spell you want until you get the right one randomly picked. In combat it is kind of going to stink. Something like my suggestion above might help.

Also, a related problem with the casting method is that not all spells take the same amount of time? Can they just stop casting in the middle? Do they just lose a standard action if they started? What if the spell requires a full-round action and they don't have that left? This is going to need resolution.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
    Hmm, I think it may be too weak with both the random casting and only going to 6th level spells. They maybe should get some minimal control over spells. Say some small number of times daily you can control actively which spell? If for example it was class level/3 times daily (starting at 3rd level) that would probably help.

I suspect that this class is still going to be very weak. It might be interesting to play in that out of combat when you've got time you can just repeatedly try to cast the spell you want until you get the right one randomly picked. In combat it is kind of going to stink. Something like my suggestion above might help.

Also, a related problem with the casting method is that not all spells take the same amount of time? Can they just stop casting in the middle? Do they just lose a standard action if they started? What if the spell requires a full-round action and they don't have that left? This is going to need resolution.
    I wanted to save the ability to control your spellcasting for the capstone ability.

I agree that the class is weak. It's really a matter of choosing the spell list.

All spells cast with random casting take a standard action to cast. Would that be insanely powerful?
    Homebrew Hoard
    Current Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All images by myself.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

All spells cast with random casting take a standard action to cast. Would that be insanely powerful?
    You mean that will reduce the spellcasting time for spells that normally take more time? I don't know if it is insanely powerful but some spells are balanced partially by their casting times (look at the Summon Monster line of spells). This could wreck with balance. I don't know how badly it would do so.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors