New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default OOTS WBL Estimates

The question? What party members are reasonably near their WBL? We can only guess the level of individual party members within a level or two, (some more,) but on average I think if each person is within 150K-200K they are pretty close. (Note, what things are worth are what matters in WBL, not necessarily what was payed for it.)

I know other threads discuss these things- but I would like a place to discuss this singularly. Also, I am curious and haven't read through the comic in a while so I know I will have missed quite a few. As far as I know, a thread hasn't done this since new magic items have been introduced. And the gods know the good folks at GitP are great at rehashing!

Here is what I've got.

Belkar's Ring of Jumping +20: 40K

Durkon's Amulet of Natural Armor: ?

Elan's Belt of Charisma, (Probably +2): 4K-6K
    Elan's Belt of Gender Changing: ?
    Elan's Boots of Elvenkind: 2.5K

Haley's Crystal's (I think I remember +4?) Dagger: 32K

Haley's Bag of Holding: (Tough to say which ones were destroyed/what level they are. She has 1-8 I believe, levels I-IV. Theoretically? 2.5K-80K)
    Haley's +3 Icy Burst Bow: 50K
    Haley's Leather Armor: 16-20K

V's Ring of Wizardry: 20K-100K

Roy's Bag of Tricks: (Strange because it is an amalgam of all bag or tricks... 3K?)
    Roy's Belt of Giant Strength: (Assuming an even Str. adj., the minimum Str. to give Mr. Scruffy a positive Str. mod would be +8. I am thinking +10, but who knows? The caravan would have to have been pretty careless not to have a belt identified worth a milliong gold. 36K+)
    Roy's Sword: ?

What did I miss or did you guys disagree with anything?
    Last edited by SowZ; 2011-08-30 at 06:26 PM.
    Homebrew PrC: The Performance Artist

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

PirateWench

Default Re: OOTS WBL Estimates

Ehhh, can't grab values at work. (yet I can post on forums, how odd)

But Elan's rapier, Belkar's daggers are +3 but I can't remember where that was said. Belt of gender changing? :P

I think that covers the explicitly mentioned items, but what about the implicit ones? Durkon's plate, shield and hammer? Roy's armour can't be that bad either.

Then we have the sundry items...In the pile that came out of Haley's bag alone I can see 4 quivers, 4 potions and 5 gems. Not counting the immense stack of gold.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phishfood View Post
    Ehhh, can't grab values at work. (yet I can post on forums, how odd)

But Elan's rapier, Belkar's daggers are +3 but I can't remember where that was said. Belt of gender changing? :P

I think that covers the explicitly mentioned items, but what about the implicit ones? Durkon's plate, shield and hammer? Roy's armour can't be that bad either.

Then we have the sundry items...In the pile that came out of Haley's bag alone I can see 4 quivers, 4 potions and 5 gems. Not counting the immense stack of gold.
    Well, we can't really evaluate Haley because she has a plot-given (or character driven) reason to put wealth above power, so it is reasonable in a gaming enviroment that her wealth will exceed her WBL by a fair amount.
    Nothing to see here, move along.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Julio Scoundrel gives Elan his +3 Keen Rapier just before he jumps off the Mechane to fight Nale. A +3 Keen Rapier is worth 32,320gp. Dunno where Belkars' daggers' enhancement bonus is given.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2011-08-31 at 11:32 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Haley also has some magical defensive jewelery she got from Crystal.
    Last edited by Fitzclowningham; 2011-08-31 at 11:34 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Actually haley's bow is +5 Icy burst (which would be +7...)
    Haley also has a lot of money and stuff more than the others...
    Anyway we can assume:

Roy: Magic armor and Sword(+5), Belt of giant strenght (+6), bag of tricks.

Belkar: assumedly magic armor and knives (i think they're at least Returning) and ring of jump

Durkon: Magic hammer, armor, shield, amulet of nat.armor

Elan: no armor, keen +3 rapier, HIS OTHER RAPIER, Belt of Cha(+2), boots of elvenkind

V: Headband of intellect (+6 i think) Ring of Wizardry (at least 3, because of Suggestion), robe is nonmagical(Blackwing sees through it with True Seeing)

Haley: +5 Icy burst bow, magic armor, +4 dagger, 7 Bags of holding (or 8).

All of them are supposed to own a lot of "random, misc things" like potions
    Last edited by Gandariel; 2011-08-31 at 12:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by actual quote from this forum
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xapi View Post
    Well, we can't really evaluate Haley because she has a plot-given (or character driven) reason to put wealth above power, so it is reasonable in a gaming enviroment that her wealth will exceed her WBL by a fair amount.
    Except that, as with all of them, she has in-excess-of-her-WBL money trimmed off by the rules of the world she lives in. (For example, when the inn blew up--described by Rich in No Cure for the Paladin Blues as trimming the dragon treasure down to a level-appropriate treasure.)

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Except that, as with all of them, she has in-excess-of-her-WBL money trimmed off by the rules of the world she lives in. (For example, when the inn blew up--described by Rich in No Cure for the Paladin Blues as trimming the dragon treasure down to a level-appropriate treasure.)
    Yeah, I don't think that is right.

Yes, you gave an example of a time where their treasure was reduced to an appropiate level in terms of the challenge they faced (IE: The treasure was Mama Dragon sized, but they faced Baby Dragon instead).

I don't think the whole OotS world is constantly cutting down the wealth of characters to keep them in their WBL. Specially when a given character has a "sidequest" taht requires her to amass such a big amount of cash.

Perhaps if she were to actually pay the old ransom fee (now expired, of course) she would put herself back in her WBL.

But it is safe to say that she has an unnatural amount of cash for her level (or any level really, as any D&D character would usually buy equipment with their money).
    Nothing to see here, move along.

10. - Top - End - #10

Well, they also have a lot of "standard magic items" that are not specifically mentioned. In one of the bonus strips where Roy and Belkar are arguing about the price for staying at a first class inn, Belkar mentioned that he just recently threw his last +1 (or might have been +2) ring of protection (worth staying in said inn for months) into the trash (because of having found one with a better +).

So the OotC can be assumed to have rings of protection, bracers of armor, and all non flashy stuff like this that doesn't need to be especially mentioned and is just expected for PCs of their level
    Last edited by SoC175; 2011-09-19 at 02:57 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

PirateWench

Big WTF.

Just rescanning this thread....and....

Not ONE mention of boots of speed (lime green). What is wrong with us?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Big WTF.

Just rescanning this thread....and....

Not ONE mention of boots of speed (lime green). What is wrong with us?
    i figured that it was assumed that she got rid of them because she isnt wearing them now and because of their color it was "a grave conundrum she faced"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

PirateWench

Lime Green Boots of Speed (No longer lime green)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

WBL is what exactly?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ricorum View Post
    WBL is what exactly?
    Wealth By Level I believe...

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xapi View Post
    Yeah, I don't think that is right.

Yes, you gave an example of a time where their treasure was reduced to an appropiate level in terms of the challenge they faced (IE: The treasure was Mama Dragon sized, but they faced Baby Dragon instead).

I don't think the whole OotS world is constantly cutting down the wealth of characters to keep them in their WBL. Specially when a given character has a "sidequest" taht requires her to amass such a big amount of cash.

Perhaps if she were to actually pay the old ransom fee (now expired, of course) she would put herself back in her WBL.

But it is safe to say that she has an unnatural amount of cash for her level (or any level really, as any D&D character would usually buy equipment with their money).
    She lost most of her treasure in the explosion, and she has not had much opportunity to gain wealth disproportionate to her level. She could have been looting Azure City, but that is counterbalanced by the premiums she had to pay for consumables smuggled into the city. I wouldn't be surprised if she had more wealth than WBL would suggest, but I doubt she has reached the freakishly high level of wealth she (and the rest of the party) had before the inn was destroyed.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gandariel View Post
    Roy: Magic armor and Sword(+5), Belt of giant strenght (+6), bag of tricks.
    Don't forget that his sword is a special material, specifically starmetal. Not sure what the price on that is though, as it's unclear whether the OotS-world's starmetal is the same stuff in Complete Arcane. On one hand, the smith tells Roy that his sword will do extra damage against undead, rather than against outsiders like CA starmetal does. On the other hand, it also works on Sabine (who's an outsider) in Cliffport, though that could be due to overcoming her DR rather than due to getting an extra damage die. Of course, if it does overcome Sabine's DR, then that makes it even more different from CA starmetal, which is equivalent to admantine.

Anyways, CA starmetal is +5000 gp. OotS starmetal, no idea. Which makes this post not terribly useful, although I did manage to link three different strips in it.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

18. - Top - End - #18

BlackDragon

Don't forget those ordinary looking small rocks everyone but Haley got.
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the gnomes of war! Or something...

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GSFB View Post
    Don't forget those ordinary looking small rocks everyone but Haley got.
    You know I wonder if those will ever show up again. Just think of how many bonuses Belkar would get with them...
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

20. - Top - End - #20

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Luminescence View Post
    She lost most of her treasure in the explosion
    I thought her own treasure was in Bags of Holding, which she kept with herself. And the bags lost in the explosion contained the dragon hoard.
    Last edited by Werbaer; 2011-09-24 at 06:18 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Werbaer View Post
    I thought her own treasure was in Bags of Holding, which she kept with herself. And the bags lost in the explosion contained the dragon hoard.
    i think Haley still lost her bag of holding in the explosion
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!