New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAitp - Part Nineteen

Green tea also reduces the risk of breastcancer, which is known to be increased by estrogen. So that would seem to speak against the theory that green tea contains stuff that mimics estrogen. And one personal anecdote is not worth much...

My take would be: Drink it if you think it tastes good, but don't expect any major results.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

2. - Top - End - #632
    Ogre in the Playground

I would suspect that if any foodstuff was actually useful at this stuff, someone would have noticed. Like, outside of random anecdotes. If it actually worked, people would do it and once people were doing it, you could study it and have data on it. Maybe I'm being too idealistic here!

Also, Pilates is starting to sound like a really good idea! I need to start doing some exercise to get back to normal fitness after my fatigue episode.

Cheerfairy, Kenderwoman and Geologist by Succubus, Feminist Geomancer by Astrella, Kender Wizard by me

3. - Top - End - #633
    Titan in the Playground

With a young girl/woman I'd like to know her age. As I understand it, normal breast development can go on as long as the mid-twenties. So it may just be normal breast development coupled with confirmation bias.

Or she may have gained weight from drinking too much soy milk. Some part of weight gain tends to end up in the breast area.

P.S. I'd ask Natalie at Queereka and have her research it.
    Last edited by Asta Kask; 2012-01-10 at 03:16 PM.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

4. - Top - End - #634
    Bugbear in the Playground

Weight Gain:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Soft Serve View Post
    In other words, I'd like to look a little curvier and I'm not really in a situation where I can get hormone treatment any time soon. Anybody know of some good foods to eat? I'm a little too thin as is, so I'm not opposed to being fattened up a bit.
    Carbohydrates make you a bit larger in some places, but it doesn't last that long and it usually makes you feel bloated. Anything high in fat and/or sugar (and even starch, for that matter) would be the most efficient foods for gaining weight with (they have the most energy to reverse-engineer into body fat). I've heard that mayonnaise is pretty fattening, but I never had a taste for it (nor have I ever tried to gain weight).

Protein can 'convert' to fat (for lack of a better verb) if you don't exercise, but you'll want to exercise body parts that you don't want getting fat (situps for the belly, aerobics for legs, etc). You could get away with some of it if you're trying to gain, but you'll have to eat more of it to get the same result as much less butter.

You may want to build a bit of muscle on your legs, especially the thighs. That can contribute to reasonable curves without looking unhealthy, in moderation.

Hair Removal:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Also, when I shave, it tends to leave behind a five o' clock shadow. Is this just because it's been a while since I've shaved, and it'll go away so long as I keep my shaving consistent?
    This topic's of particular interest to me... I recently started shaving my entire body (and let me tell you, that's freaking hard to do with a cheap, wall-tethered Norelco), and the roots are really testing my patience.

I definitely recommend waxing, if you have access to it. They sell strips you can use at home (I forget where, but I think some pharmacies carry them), but from what I hear it's best to have a professional do it. Once hair's been waxed, the roots take a while (a couple of weeks, maybe as long as a month) to grow back, and the hair's thinner afterward (shaving makes the hairs thicker, in contrast).

It does hurt like crap, though - even my sister admits it. I don't think it's worse than having to shave every day or two, though.

There's also laser/electrolytic hair removal, but those are pretty expensive (and the electric one is quite unpleasant). Lasers may take a couple of treatments and electrolysis may take hours, but in the end the follicles are dead.

Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
    I think that one might be because it became popular among women as a low-impact stretching work-out and things that originally become popular among women get branded as feminine and therefore men shouldn't do them because they lose man-points if they do. Or something.
    Also, it's an exercise that doesn't build muscle. That's a bad thing, whether the exercise is itself beneficial or not.

EDIT: Sorry about the disorder, I was panicking about something or another.
    Last edited by Arachu; 2012-01-10 at 04:24 PM.
    Thanks for existing.

Dragon Hunter avatar by Lerky. Magical Girl by the lovely Astrella~

5. - Top - End - #635
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arachu View Post
    Hair Removal:
    Spoiler
    Show

I definitely recommend waxing, if you have access to it. They sell strips you can use at home (I forget where, but I think some pharmacies carry them), but from what I hear it's best to have a professional do it.

It does hurt like crap, though - even my sister admits it. I don't think it's worse than having to shave every day or two, though.

There's also laser/electrolytic hair removal, but those are pretty expensive (and the electric one is quite unpleasant). Lasers may take a couple of treatments and electrolysis may take hours, but in the end the follicles are dead.
    Waxing hurts the first few times you do it, but it's not so bad after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Arachu View Post
    Once hair's been waxed, the roots take a while (a couple of weeks, maybe as long as a month) to grow back, and the hair's thinner afterward (shaving makes the hairs thicker, in contrast).
    Here's a good video on that.
    Last edited by Kindablue; 2012-01-10 at 04:53 PM.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

6. - Top - End - #636

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    I was afraid of that...

Well, the new hairs are thinner than they would seem otherwise, and they shouldn't be quite so scratchy.
    Thanks for existing.

7. - Top - End - #637
    Titan in the Playground

I was going to give you a list of really fattening foods, but Callista's right, binging on junk food is really bad for you (that said, crisps are like nothing else for putting weight on!). Cheese, nuts, potatoes, chicken with the skin on, lamb... Another thing that might help is if you do some kind of exercise that fits with your goals. Because exercise is a good way to be healthy at whatever weight, so if you put on a bunch of weight without exercising, it's bad. But different kinds of exercise give rise to different body shapes, so you might want to pick one that tends towards androgyny or has the same effect on male and female bodies. Rather than, say, weightlifting, which will give you big manly muscles.
    any particular advice in regards to this?

Definitely look into clothes, though. Flattering clothes can do wonders for non-curvy women who want curves. I've seen shirts that move women up a bra size and give them hips they don't have. Flattering clothes can do wonders for non-adjective people who want to look adjective in general!
    Alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Have...Have you tried to work the legs?
    Not really. I don't do much exercise other than attemtping to take a good walk every day. Got any advised leg exercises?

Fruit with phytoestrogens are sometimes brought up as a way to use diet to effect some minor changes before hormone therapy is an option. It's slightly disputed as to whether it's a good idea or bad idea last I read up on it, and I have no idea what foods have elevated levels of such things. My basic biology knowledge leads me to believe that edible fruits and flowers containing elevated levels would be a hypothesis that wouldn't completely embarrass one forever in seeking out knowledge.
    Alright.
    Alcohol doesn't really lend itself to curves, but it is one of those things that convert directly to fat, but that tends to lead to concentrated belly fat which you obviously don't want in this case, and is grossly unhealthy to make a habit of consuming enough of it to effect a noticeable change.
    Can't legally drink alcohol anyway, so no worries there.

Have you considered substituting lard for butter and as shortening in baked goods instead of things like crisco?
    No, I had not.

In general though, a good general practicioner that you've been with for awhile should be able to make you some more informed recommendations, or if they didn't feel comfortable, they usually will have contacts with a dietician or nutritionalist or whatever they're called now.
    Alright.

Sounds like you need to use shorter strokes, more of them, and clean out your razor. You may need to shave with the grain until you've got it as smooth as you can, then shave against the grain, and then shave with the grain once more in order to get what's left to set right.

Of course, that middle step is the tricky part because you want it as down as possible and to take as short of strokes as possible so that you don't do anything untoward or get an ingrown hair or anything of that nature.
    Ah, alright.

8. - Top - End - #638

I have created a LGBTA-related hero for Giantitp. Please don't hate me.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=42
    Viking/Paladin by Astrella

Gender Bender by Geomancer.

In love with Skeppio.

Contact me:
    Spoiler
    Show

Twitter: @MarcusSweden1

My tumblr

My DeviantART

9. - Top - End - #639
    Ettin in the Playground

If it makes you feel any better H, I did something like that a while ago...

Just wish the various LGB symbols on the sash had come out better - even included ATW's rune on there as well.
    Last edited by The Succubus; 2012-01-11 at 07:43 AM.

10. - Top - End - #640

Related to hair growt

I'm thinking of buying an epilator, since my bodyhair seems to grow back almost immediately after shaving. Anyone have any experiences with those?
    "Best na ta challenge that Delusion" - Durkon in #674

Fairy avatar made by araveugnitsuga.
    Cultist avatar made by Darwin.
    Paladin avatar made by Ceika.

I have started a fantasy webseries about a trans woman wanting to become a paladin:
    http://kirjotusvihe.deviantart.com/gallery/47065120
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-Paladin-Story

11. - Top - End - #641
    Ogre in the Playground

I understand "dietitian" is the legally protected term, at least on this side of the pond. Dara O Briain does a great sketch including reference to it. Apparently "dietitian" is like "dentist" and "nutritionist" is closer to "toothiologist". GP is generally a good port of call anyway, they can recommend diets and stuff and can also refer you to a specialty practitioner.

I don't have any specific exercise in mind, Soft Serve, but I'll take a stroll around the internet later and see if I can find any recommendations. I don't generally engage in exercise to make myself MORE curvy.

Cheerfairy, Kenderwoman and Geologist by Succubus, Feminist Geomancer by Astrella, Kender Wizard by me

12. - Top - End - #642

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post

Just wish the various LGB symbols on the sash had come out better - even included ATW's rune on there as well.
    She looks great!

I wish I knew how to incorporate bisexuality into my character, without making him a Marty Stu who wins 'em all.
    Viking/Paladin by Astrella

Gender Bender by Geomancer.

In love with Skeppio.

Contact me:
    Spoiler
    Show

Twitter: @MarcusSweden1

My tumblr

My DeviantART

13. - Top - End - #643

I understand "dietitian" is the legally protected term, at least on this side of the pond. Dara O Briain does a great sketch including reference to it. Apparently "dietitian" is like "dentist" and "nutritionist" is closer to "toothiologist". GP is generally a good port of call anyway, they can recommend diets and stuff and can also refer you to a specialty practitioner.

I don't have any specific exercise in mind, Soft Serve, but I'll take a stroll around the internet later and see if I can find any recommendations. I don't generally engage in exercise to make myself MORE curvy.
    "Toothiologist" made me LOL.

14. - Top - End - #644
    Ogre in the Playground

Since waxing came up in the context of somebody's face being too shadowy even after a shave, I feel it my gay duty to admonish one and all. Don't try to wax your face.

Sure, it seems like a good idea: your cheeks could be perfectly smooth and stay that way for weeks. It doesn't work. Beard hairs are not like other hairs and face skin is not like other skin. It is the equivalent of mowing your lawn with a steam shovel. There will be pain and blood and beauty ravaged; and what's more, the hairs still grow back within a few days.

15. - Top - End - #645
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I will have to respectfully disagree.
    Waxing worked perfectly fine for me. And it was less painful than electrolysis.

Now laser... laser was a huge waste of time and money.
    LGBT in the playground - banner by Doihaveaname?.
    Thanks to Ceika, Dihan, Happy Turtle, Reicaden and Haruki for the avatars.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SMEE View Post
    I will have to respectfully disagree.
    Waxing worked perfectly fine for me. And it was less painful than electrolysis.

Now laser... laser was a huge waste of time and money.
    And yet, did you wax your face before your transformation madamoiselle, before the hair there had been softened by the hormone therapy?

17. - Top - End - #647
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Delusion View Post
    I'm thinking of buying an epilator, since my bodyhair seems to grow back almost immediately after shaving. Anyone have any experiences with those?
    I have pretty fine hair (=blonde), so maybe that's part of the problem, but I'm quite mixed about whether or not it's worth the trouble. Half the hairs break instead of being removed, and it took close to an 1½ hour to do both legs every first time.
    On the upside, my legs does stay mostly smooth for a week, but it's not "ooh, no hairs at all!" smooth, more "wow your hair growth is so fine that it can't be noticed unless properly inspected and/or touched". Probably takes 3-4 weeks to get it all back. So, full hair removal it is not. Also, it hurts like hell the first time because there are so many hairs, but afterwards (when you've thinned them out) it gets better (and faster).
    At least it never gets prickly

I haven't dared to do my armpits, because I'm a huge baby when it comes to pain, and I think those would be way worse.

Also, have you guys seen this follow-up? <3
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

18. - Top - End - #648

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    I have pretty fine hair (=blonde), so maybe that's part of the problem, but I'm quite mixed about whether or not it's worth the trouble. Half the hairs break instead of being removed, and it took close to an 1½ hour to do both legs every first time.
    On the upside, my legs does stay mostly smooth for a week, but it's not "ooh, no hairs at all!" smooth, more "wow your hair growth is so fine that it can't be noticed unless properly inspected and/or touched". Probably takes 3-4 weeks to get it all back. So, full hair removal it is not. Also, it hurts like hell the first time because there are so many hairs, but afterwards (when you've thinned them out) it gets better (and faster).
    At least it never gets prickly
    That sounds improvement actually. A day after having my legs are already resembling sandpaper.
    "Best na ta challenge that Delusion" - Durkon in #674

Fairy avatar made by araveugnitsuga.
    Cultist avatar made by Darwin.
    Paladin avatar made by Ceika.

I have started a fantasy webseries about a trans woman wanting to become a paladin:
    http://kirjotusvihe.deviantart.com/gallery/47065120
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-Paladin-Story

19. - Top - End - #649

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    And yet, did you wax your face before your transformation madamoiselle, before the hair there had been softened by the hormone therapy?
    Yes. I started waxing it 3 years prior starting hormones.
    LGBT in the playground - banner by Doihaveaname?.
    Thanks to Ceika, Dihan, Happy Turtle, Reicaden and Haruki for the avatars.

20. - Top - End - #650
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Delusion View Post
    That sounds improvement actually. A day after having my legs are already resembling sandpaper.
    Blurgh, yeah, epilating doesn't do that. You just grow increasingly fuzzy.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Titan in the Playground

prettyyyyyyyyy ♥♥♥
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

22. - Top - End - #652
    Ogre in the Playground

I think people have different hair, so what works for one SMEE might not work for every Kneenibble. Or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    Also, have you guys seen this follow-up? <3
    Wow, that's so moving.

Also, not to break the mood, but I thought you said "Have you gays seen - " and I laughed.

And, I really love that picture, Succubus!

23. - Top - End - #653
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: LGBTAitp - Part Nineteen

Very impressive and amazing work, Succubus.

Especially like the colouration, I don't think I could even do that kind of effects properly even if I had any idea how to do them in GIMP.

My inner critic does wish to point out that the hairline looks quite odd, as it the hair is simply sitting on the head instead of being attached to it. But that's a very minor thing, so Inner Criteak should just stop being negative! :3

Meow.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Ogre in the Playground

I think people have different hair, so what works for one SMEE might not work for every Kneenibble. Or something.
    I will brandish this as the truth, to hide the fact that I'm probably just not at all as good at waxing as I would like to believe.

My beard is quite full and thick, in my defense

25. - Top - End - #655
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I will brandish this as the truth, to hide the fact that I'm probably just not at all as good at waxing as I would like to believe.

My beard is quite full and thick, in my defense
    Well, that would make it more difficult. Don't worry, people most certainly have different hair thicknesses and stiffnesses, and people's hair grows back at different rates, and people have differingly sensitive skin, etc.

I know I would find it very difficult to shave or wax, because my skin is very sensitive and I suffer from eczema and various rashes and such. Luckily, my hair is also very soft, fine and blonde, so I don't bother with any of it. I understand wanting to get rid of excessive hair, and getting body hair trimmed, and certainly I understand removing facial hair, but there's such a push these days that "real" women remove all hair except that on their head. It's infantilising and weird, and unfair, and a double standard, and particularly difficult for women (trans or cis) who have lots of hair and for women who don't have loads of money to be spending on razors and waxing treatments and then inevitably moisturisers and stuff to repair the skin. I also completely understand that female-bodied people generally have less body hair than male-bodied people, so transwomen are likely to want to shave their legs and stuff even if it wasn't standard practice. And that's fine. And if you want to generally, that's fine. But lots of people I know find it difficult and tiresome and expensive and they're only really doing it, or doing it as often as they do, because they feel they'll be judged by partners or even random people if they don't. And I can't say I blame them because I've had nasty things shouted at me for not shaving, and it's not even very noticeable on me! I can imagine it'd be much worse for someone with darker hair. My partner thought I was shaving, just quickly, when I was in the shower or something.

Utopian Feminist Solution: Normalise female body hair through the media and female role models so that young women feel liberated from "having" to shave if they don't want to, resulting in a spectrum of shavedness.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Firbolg in the Playground

A lot of girls at my school, being hipsters, hippies, and/or unique snowflake rebels, don't remove body hair. A few guys do. It's whatever.
    Jude P.

27. - Top - End - #657

I wage war on my body hair, but that's a matter of hygiene and personal comfort. I pluck my eyebrows for cosmetic reasons, though.

On another note, it's really easy to apply conditioner to long hair if you apply it with a comb. Incidentally, doing so is good for straightening hair (before I started, my hair would curl up just above my shoulders).

I assumed that a comb would work just as well for shampoo, but that turned out to be more trouble than it's worth.
    Thanks for existing.

28. - Top - End - #658

DrowGirl

What's this shaving thing you talk about?

I occasionally shave, mostly when I'm wearing something that'd display the hair - mine's quite dark, and considering the stigma on hair (for some strange reason)... eh, cba dealing with that. I never had any problems with shaving, despite sensitive skin - can do it without soap or creams or whatever easily, no matter how long I've left it.
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

29. - Top - End - #659
    Troll in the Playground

I have to admit, I'm tempted to wax my facial hair off from time to time. Problem is I'm very touch sensitive, so...yea..it hurts to try.
    Last edited by turkishproverb; 2012-01-11 at 05:08 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

30. - Top - End - #660
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    considering the stigma on hair (for some strange reason)
    Try licking a man's beard for a minute and then try licking someone's beardless cheek and you should start to understand part of it.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-01-11 at 05:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide