Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

wink Re: Poe's Pawns (IC)

Spoiler
    Show
    Retroing then...

(1d20)[10]

Before Poe magically unbound the five, Issac strained against the manacles binding him but failed to break free.
    Last edited by Kaihaku; 2008-08-27 at 10:21 PM.
    Umuntu ngumuntu ngabantu.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.
    ~Kahlil Gibran

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Poe's Pawns (IC)

Adyra

Adyra's eyes scan over the strange pile of items, looking for anything that might help her slay Ya'cob... no, to escape this lunatic whom she serves... no... she stares at the items hoping that something in there will help her.

Spoiler
    Show
    10 rolls of Knowledge: Arcana - (1d20+9)[23], (1d20+9)[13], (1d20+9)[18], (1d20+9)[24], (1d20+9)[28], (1d20+9)[15], (1d20+9)[13], (1d20+9)[17], (1d20+9)[21], (1d20+9)[25]. Edit: Okay, when I was told to take 10 for some reason my brain spasmed and I took 10 rolls... so ignore all these and look for the roll on the ooc thread for my real roll.
    Last edited by Wiz; 2008-08-28 at 12:01 AM.
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

Isaac

Isaac does not have long to dwell on the fact that the chains hold fast, as mere moments after his attempts, they fall off with a simple clink. Removing the blindfold from his face, he first spies the decaying, rambling man who had claimed them, soon turning to the items he was spilling onto the floor to save his own senses from the assault of his captor's presence. His eyes remain there, having found something of interest amongst the junk in their attempt at refuge...some of which seemed almost familiar...

Spoiler
    Show
    (d20+8)[25]

4. - Top - End - #34

tongue Re: Poe's Pawns (IC)

While Poe continues to mutter to himself, Adyra glances over the items strewn across the floor and notices several that clearly have magical properties. The stress of the last few weeks, or maybe it's the absurdity of the situation, must be getting to her however as she has difficulty deducing the nature of most of the pile.

Spoiler
    Show
    (???) A dead rat?
    Oddly enough, this dead rat is magical... There are necromantic runes carved into its withered flesh.
    (MWK Leather Armor) A suit of dark leather armor
    This suit of armor is of the highest quality but does not appear magical.
    (2 square yards of Glamerweave/Light Cloth) A bolt of shimmering white cloth
    Many, particularly among the fey, glamerweave cloth, enhancing it with illusionary magic, and this particular bolt seems to have additionally been enhanced with a light spell.
    (??? Adamantine Chain) Adamantine chain shirt
    This chain shirt is made of Adamantine. It may or may not be magical.
    (???) A chipped wooden goblet
    Strangely, this goblet is dripping out a steady stream of thin watery wine.
    (??? Rod) An iron mace adorned with flanking sets of identical elves.
    This mace is a magical rod of some sort.
    (??? Broken Staff) The bottom half of an ornate bone staff
    This is the bottom half of a wizard's staff, arcane runes are carved spiraling down its length.
    (Scroll) A crumpled parchment
    This is an arcane spell scroll.
    (???) Four potions
    (???) A silver buckler, glowing slightly
    This is a magical mithral buckler of some sort.
    (??? Wand) A jade wand
    This is an arcane wand.

His gaze shying from the sight of his liberator and captor, Issac's eyes fall on the scattered mismatch of items spilling from Poe and he feels a reassuring sense of recognition for the first time in a long while.

Spoiler
    Show

(Wondrous Item: Still Familiar) A dead rat?
    Carved with necromantic runes, this 'item' is the result of a perverse combination of arcane and divine magics. Created from the corpses of familiars of defeated Arcanists, the Still Familiar can be animated through negative energy and grants all of the benefits of a Familiar to it's animator while active.
    Mechanics
    Any spell of the necromancy school can be channeled into the Still Familiar animating it for 1d4 rounds + 1 per spell level. It gains the abilities of a familiar of a level 14 Wizard, the undead type, and has 10 + 5 hp per spell level used to animate it. The caster who animates the Still Familiar gains the Alertness feat while it is within five feet and any specified bonuses (Rat: +2 bonus on Fortitude saves)

(Wondrous Item: Foundation of Hope) A large bronze candlestick
    Often carried by holy expeditions to dark realms, this small light of a candle held on this foundation wards against evil and blesses the pure in heart.
    Mechanics
    While a candle is placed on the Foundation of Hope and burning the following effects are active:
    - A twenty-foot radius Magic Circle Against Evil is active.
    - Good creatures within the Magic Circle Against Evil gain a +2 sacred bonus to Spot/Listen checks and Will saves.
    - Good Creatures heal at twice their natural rate.

(+1 Mace of Giantbane) A mace decorated with the head of a screaming gnome
    This mace seems tied to the gnomish race and may have additional affects when wielded by a gnome.
    (MWK) Adamantine Chain Shirt
    This is adamantine chain but is not magical.
    (???) A large number of multicolored marbles
    Did Poe lose his marbles? They scattered everywhere but don't seem magical.
    (Mundane Clerical Vestments) A clerical robe, adorned with images of slaughter
    While not magical, these vestments are dedicated to the god of martial combat.
    (Rod of Lesser Metamagic ???) An iron mace adorned with flanking sets of identical elves.
    This is a rod of lesser metamagic, though it seems to have been crafted through arcane means and its type exactly eludes you.
    (+1 Large Holy Warhammer) A large warhammer
    This worn warhammer is adorned with holy imagery and has clearly seen its share of battle.
    (Potions: CMW, CMW, BS, CCW) Four potions
    Two potions of Cure Moderate Wounds, one of Barkskin, and one of Cure Critical Wounds.
    (+1 Mithral Buckler of Blinding) A silver buckler, glowing slightly
    An elegant buckler engraved with a sunburst.
    (Eternal Wand of Cure Moderate Wounds) A wand of hickory wood
    A healer's wand with a few loose springs of herbs, the handle worn smooth.
    Mechanics
    Cure Moderate Wounds, CL 10, 2/day

(+1 Falcion) A Falcion
    This great two-handed curved blade is of the highest quality and shines with unnatural luster.
    (Mundane: Sling) A cloth sling
    This makeshift sling doesn't seem magical.
    (Ghost Oil, Liquor, and ???) Three flasks
    One flask contains a clear oil which you recognize as Ghost Oil, another appears a non-magical liquor, and the third escapes you.
    Mechanics
    Ghost Oil: Applies to a weapon as a Full Round Action. For the following two rounds, the weapon is treated as being ‘Ghost Touch’ (i.e., no Miss Change when attacking Incorporeal creatures).

(MWK Full Plate) A suit of full-plate armor
    This is full plate of the highest quality but it is not magical.
    (Animated +1 Heavy Wooden Shield) A heavy wooden shield
    This heavy wooden shield seems to hover just over the floor rather than actually rest upon it.
    (Mundane Gems) 1 Emerald, 2 Moss Agate, 1 Carnelian, and 2 Diamonds.
    (Mundane Holy Symbol) A silver holy symbol of an angelic woman
    Rather than a holy symbol of one of the major faiths of the material plane, this seems to be a holy symbol dedicated to an unknown angelic holy knight, perhaps a demigod or lesser deity of the upper planes, a young woman in full plate bearing a large shield and a hand and a half sword.
    Last edited by Kaihaku; 2008-08-28 at 06:13 AM.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.
    ~Kahlil Gibran

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Rhion

Though not as enthusiastic as the others because of his lacking skill in appraising such magical items, Rhion approaches the pile slowly while he tries to figure out the whispering in the back of his head.

Spoiler
    Show
    Appraise - (1d20+1)[7]

6. - Top - End - #36
    Colossus in the Playground

Dyn

A little life seems to return to Dyn's eyes, as he glances over the pile of items, stopping his gaze from time to time at the sight of a few of the objects.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+3)[9] Bardic Knowledge
    (1d20+2)[16] Appraise
    Resident Vancian Apologist

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

Kinedu

Kinedu pulls himself to his feet, a hand rising to gingerly touch the brand on his forehead. His temper back under control, he glares at Poe, hate radiating from his eyes, but says nothing and makes no move toward... him? her? it.

He steps forward, eyes sweeping across the pile of odd and obviously magical items, racking his brain for answers. The strange longsword intrigues him, so he takes it in his hands, examining it closely.

Spoiler
    Show
    On Ya'cob:

Planes: [roll]d20+7[/roll]

On the items:

Arcana: [roll]d20+7[/roll]
    Planes: [roll]d20+7[/roll]
    Last edited by VoxPVoxD; 2008-08-28 at 06:22 AM.
    the busy the millions
    (as you're as can i'm)
    they flock and they flee
    through a thunder of seem
    though the stars in their silence
    say Be

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

Isaac

A relieved grin tugs at Isaac's face while the knowledge of what he was looking at came slowly to him; it faded when his gaze fell on certain objects, but on the whole, it was comforting to know that even as far flung as he was now, not everything was entirely unfamiliar. Despite the heap of useful, even life-saving items that were tumbling even now to the ground, the gnoll's eyes rest on the holy symbol, the visage of a human angel. In more certain, more innocent times, this sight would have angered him. Now, the sense that it was something he knew was more important. He takes great care in wrapping the statue's chain around itself, not wanting to damage it...He felt it important not to. he did not know why. The gnoll shrugs off the suspicion and lays the statuette to his side, taking another look at the pile.

The second things that catch his eye are the items he could not identify, the wand and the potion. He takes both in his hands, weighing them like a balance, before he closes his eyes and begins to whisper, concentrating on the wand, then the potion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Isaac casts Identify on the unknown wand, then the unknown potion.

DC 15 Listen check to make out the gnoll's whispers. DC 16 Spellcraft to know what he is casting.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen: (d20)[11]
    Spellcraft: (d20+9)[13]
    the busy the millions
    (as you're as can i'm)
    they flock and they flee
    say Be

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Adyra

Adyra gets up and stumbles over to the pile, picking up a few objects to look at closer: the glammerweave cloth, the rod, the broken staff, the circlet, and the parchment. She looks over the cloth first to see if it can somehow be used to cover her better than the filthy rags of her, which has been torn off her repeatedly to show her wares...

Spoiler
    Show
    If I can make a second roll against the specific items I have chosen out. Even at a minus, I would like to. Knowledge: Arcana (1d20+9)[25]. If not, no problem. In any case, I would like to use Decipher Script to identify any of the writing on the items (runes on the bone staff, etc.). Decipher Script (1d20+9)[19]. I would also like to use Spellcraft to figure out what the scroll is (with a +2 for having synergy with Decipher Script) Spellcraft (1d20+13)[32].
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Rhion

Seeing that how the others look at some of this stuff as they recognize them, Rhion feels a little out of place, but then an idea smacks him in the head as he sees a couple of items lying near the pile. Bending down, Rhion picks up the crystal monocle and the magnifying glass. Then, looking around, he remembers the woman... er, Adyra, was it, talking about magic spells. He taps on her shoulder and clears his throat.

"Just a hunch, but perhaps these might help you find out more about the lying... pile of stuff. I probably can't activate them."

Saying that, he hands over the monocle and glass to Adyra. With half an eye on her to see what she can do, he continues gazing at the pile, searching items with less metal or arcane magic in it.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Adyra

Adyra nods and smiles, "You may be right... these could help." She examines the two items, and particularly examines the other items using them, to see if they can help.

Spoiler
    Show
    Let me know what if any rolls need to me made to let me do these things.
    Last edited by Wiz; 2008-08-28 at 12:56 PM.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

13. - Top - End - #43

confused Re: Poe's Pawns (IC)

((OoC: Adrya can wear the cloth toga-style and if you find a tailor or seamstress it can later be crafted into 'real' attire.

Identify has a casting time of one hour and requires a 100gp material component, though you actually do have wine and pearls available... Both are reasons I dislike the spell.))

Big Ol' Pile o' Items
    Spoiler
    Show

((OoC: This isn't well organized but, honestly, in my mind it's not worth the work to sort the pile out beyond this... So, apologizes. Rhion did identify a few of the items but, with an 7, there weren't very many so I skipped over repeating what items each person knew. Hopefully, you guys will help each other.

Identified by Dyn
    (Wondrous Item: Foundation of Hope) A large bronze candlestick
    Often carried by holy expeditions to dark realms, this small light of a candle held on this foundation wards against evil and blesses the pure in heart.
    Mechanics
    While a candle is placed on the Foundation of Hope and burning the following effects are active:
    - A twenty-foot radius Magic Circle Against Evil is active.
    - Good creatures within the Magic Circle Against Evil gain a +2 sacred bonus to Spot/Listen checks and Will saves.
    - Good Creatures heal at twice their natural rate.

(Eternal Wand of Cure Moderate Wounds) A wand of hickory wood
    A healer's wand with a few loose springs of herbs, the handle worn smooth.
    Mechanics
    Cure Moderate Wounds, CL 10, 2/day

Identified by Kinedu
    (Wondrous Item: Still Familiar) A dead rat?
    Carved with necromantic runes, this 'item' is the result of a perverse combination of arcane and divine magics. Created from the corpses of familiars of defeated Arcanists, the Still Familiar can be animated through negative energy and grants all of the benefits of a Familiar to it's animator while active.
    Mechanics
    Any spell of the necromancy school can be channeled into the Still Familiar animating it for 1d4 rounds + 1 per spell level. It gains the abilities of a familiar of a level 14 Wizard, the undead type, and has 10 + 5 hp per spell level used to animate it. The caster who animates the Still Familiar gains the Alertness feat while it is within five feet and any specified bonuses (Rat: +2 bonus on Fortitude saves)

(Wondrous Item: Blood Cloak) A long blood-red cloak
    Upon closer inspection, this long cloak is besmirched with countless of patches of darker stains. A favorite of Blackguards, this cloak grants potent magical blessings upon its wearer in exchange for a supply of fresh blood from the still living.
    Mechanics
    The cloak is inert until set in blood freshly spilled from a living being. When so 'fed' as a full round action, the cloak bestows the following benefits for one hour.
    Non-evil creatures gain 2 persistent negative levels while wearing the cloak.
    -Native of the Material Plane
    +2 Profane Bonus to CHA
    +2 Profane Bonus to all attack rolls
    -Outsider with an alignment subtype
    +4 Profane Bonus to CHA
    +4 Profane Bonus to all attack rolls

(Rod of Lesser Metamagic Split Ray) An iron mace adorned with flanking sets of identical elves.
    This is a rod of lesser metamagic split ray.
    Mechanics
    Apply the Metamagic Split Ray to a 0th – 3rd lvl spell, 3/day.

Identified by Dyn and Kinedu
    (Wondrous Item: Ring of Climbing) A simple unfinished iron ring
    This iron ring, left unfinished to resemble a rocky cliff, grants a +5 competence bonus to Climb checks.
    (MWK Leather Armor) A suit of dark leather armor
    This suit of armor is of the highest quality but does not appear magical.
    (Mundane Clothing) A bright pink commoner's outfit
    This simple outfit is oddly colored but not magical.
    (+1 Vicious Handaxe) A hatchet
    This worn handaxe has clearly been well used, some red discolorations on the hilt show for something other than cutting down trees.
    (MWK Adamantine Chain) A black chain shirt
    This is adamantine chain but is not magical.
    (???) A large number of multicolored marbles
    Did Poe lose his marbles? They scattered everywhere but don't seem magical.
    (Mundane Clerical Vestments) A clerical robe, adorned with images of slaughter
    While not magical, these vestments are dedicated to Illutar, the god of martial combat.
    (Wondrous Item: Everfull Wine Goblet) A chipped wooden goblet
    This goblet is dripping out a steady stream of thin watery wine.
    Mechanics
    Generates three goblet-fulls of low-quality wine a day.

(Wondrous Item: Bag of Holding ???) A worn leather satchel
    This magical bag leads to an extradimensional space where many things can be easily stored safely...barring completely planar upheaval, of course.
    (Wonderous Item: Circlet of the Spellcrafter) A golden circlet set with a single emerald
    This golden circlet is adorned with images of dragons reading books.
    Mechanics
    +2 Enhancement Bonus to INT
    +5 Competence bonus to Spellcraft checks.
    Detect Magic 3/day

(Wondrous Item: Gloves...Glove of Dexterity +2) A lone glove
    A pair of these gloves improves the dexterity of their wearer, a lone glove might still have some limited effect.
    Mechanics
    +1 Bonus to Dexterity checks only.

(Wondrous Item: Lucky Chain) A heavy golden necklace
    A favorite among wealthy bards, this thick gold necklace shows off their opulence while providing some protection and boosting their performing abilities.
    Mechanics
    Prestidigitation 3/day
    +1 Luck Bonus to all Saving Throws
    +5 Luck Bonus to all Perform Checks

(+1 Large Holy Warhammer) A large warhammer
    This worn warhammer is adorned with holy imagery and has clearly seen its share of battle.
    (Dust of Dispersion) A small velvet bag
    This bag contains sparkling dust.
    (Earthsilk Explorer's Outfit) A blue and white explorer's outfit
    There's something unusual about the material this outfit is made of, it's strangely tough and resilient without being awkward or bulky.
    Mechanics
    The wearer gains Damage Reduction 1 / Bludgeoning. If the wearer suffers a Piercing critical hit, the outfit no longer provides Damage Reduction until repaired.

(Wondrous Item: Boot of Teleportation) A lone knee-high boot
    Combined with its lost pair, this boot would be a potent magical item allowing instantaneous transportation. As it is, it's just a lone boot with a magical aura.
    (Ring: Ring of Natural Armor +2) A silver ring covered with spikes
    This ring is defensive, magically thickening the skin of its wearer.
    (Mundane) A small black bag
    This bag is filled with caltrops.
    (Potions: CMW, CMW, BS, CCW) Four potions
    Two potions of Cure Moderate Wounds, one of Barkskin, and one of Cure Critical Wounds.
    (+1 Mithral Buckler of Blinding) A silver buckler, glowing slightly
    An elegant buckler engraved with a sunburst.
    (Wondrous Item: Magic Key) A small key
    Magical keys of this sort are often used by wizards to secure their spellbooks. It opens a specific magical lock.
    (Mundane) A string of pearls
    While costly and elegant, this string of pearls is simply that.
    (MWK Artisan's Tools) A small leather case
    This slim travel case contains high-quality wood-crafting tools.
    (+1 Falcion) A Falcion
    This great two-handed curved blade is of the highest quality and shines with unnatural luster.
    (Mundane: Sling) A cloth sling
    This makeshift sling doesn't seem magical.
    (Mundane) A 10ft length of silk rope
    This is exactly what it seems to be...
    (Wand: Magic Mouth) A jade wand
    This is a wand of Magic Mouth.
    Mechanics
    Charges: ???/50
    Magic Mouth(PH p251)
    <Ill(glamer), Close-range, Permanent until discharged>
    – The caster creates an invisible ward which produces an illusionary mouth that speaks up to 25 words when it is triggered by a condition specified at cast time. The message can be in any language known by the caster and can be spread out over a 10 minute period if desired. The trigger must be within the spell’s range in line-of-sight, up to 15’ per level. The conditions must be based on visual and/or audible triggers, so the spell can be fooled by disguises, silence, etc.

(MWK Musical Instrument) A lute with broken strings
    This lute is of superior quality but its strings are broken and it would need repair to be of any use.
    (Liquor and ???) Three flasks
    One flask contains a non-magical liquor and the other two hold unknown contains.
    (MWK Full Plate) A suit of full-plate armor
    This is full plate of the highest quality but it is not magical.
    (Animated +1 Heavy Wooden Shield) A heavy wooden shield
    This heavy wooden shield seems to hover just over the floor rather than actually rest upon it.
    (Mundane Gems) 1 Emerald, 2 Moss Agate, 1 Carnelian, and 2 Diamonds.
    (Wondrous Item: Sash of the Garden's Master) A lavender belt
    Upon closer inspection, this belt of lavender silk is seen to be decorated with precise images of orchids and ornate birds. It radiates calm and order.
    Mechanics
    Plant Growth 3/day
    Summon Elysian Thrush 1/day
    Calm Emotions(Self) always on.
    Chaotic Characters only: 2 Persistent Negative Levels while wearing the Sash.

Held by Adyra
    (2 square yards of Glamerweave/Light Cloth) A bolt of shimmering white cloth
    Many, particularly among the fey, glamerweave cloth, enhancing it with illusionary magic, and this particular bolt seems to have additionally been enhanced with a light spell.
    (Scroll) A crumpled parchment
    Adrya finds that crumbled scroll contains the spell Detect Thoughts.
    (+1 Club of Dragonbane / Broken Dragon Scourge Staff) The bottom half of an ornate bone staff
    On closer inspection, Adrya finds that this wizard's staff appears to have been crafted from a dragonbone and is engraved with arcane runes opposed to members of that race. The bottom half should still retain some of its magic and, even if not, function as a basic club. The original staff was significantly more powerful, crafted by an archmagi or equivalent spellcaster.
    Mechanics
    +1 Club of Dragonbane
    Wielder gains a +2 bonus to caster level checks to overcome draconic spell resistance.

(Wondrous Item: Monocle of Lesser Displacement) A monocle with a crystal lens
    This strange monocle throws off the vision of the eye that gazes through it.
    Mechanics.
    Benefit: All displaced objects and creatures have their miss chance reduced by 20%.
    Penalty: All non-displaced objects and creatures gain a miss chance of 20%.
    Note: This item only functions normally if the non-monocled eye is covered or closed. If both eyes are open, the wearer is stunned for one round and suffers the penalty but not the benefit.

(Mundane) A Magnifying glass
    For all intents and purposes, this magnifying glass is exactly what it what it appears to be.

Held by Issac
    (Mundane Holy Symbol) A silver holy symbol of an angelic woman
    Rather than a holy symbol of one of the major faiths of the material plane, this seems to be a holy symbol dedicated to an unknown angelic holy knight, perhaps a demigod or lesser deity of the upper planes, a young woman in full plate bearing a large shield and a hand and a half sword.
    (+1 Mace of Giantbane) A mace decorated with the head of a screaming gnome
    This mace seems tied to the gnomish race and may have additional affects when wielded by a gnome.

Held by Kinedu
    (???) A glass sword

Ya'cob?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Three hundred years isn't as long of a time in other planes as it is on the material plane, but it's still long enough for new faces and powers to spring up. Kinedu can't remember for certain but he vaguely recalls at least one Djinn and a couple of Demons who had names similar to Ya'cob.
    Last edited by Kaihaku; 2008-08-29 at 12:36 AM. Reason: I was just answering some questions. :(

~Kahlil Gibran

14. - Top - End - #44
    Pixie in the Playground

Kinedu

Kinedu takes the sword in his hands, staring at it, staring through it. Gingerly he runs a finger down the flat of the blade, stopping at the crystalline hilt. Color rises in his cheeks: his dull, gray face is briefly flushed with dark shades, and spots of inky black. He whispers something. Then he lifts his eyes -- and the blade -- pointing them towards Poe. Both glitter with a piercing menace.

"You will tell me," he says, deliberately, "Exactly what you did to me. And you will tell me exactly why you did it." He suppresses a shudder, not of fear, but of barely contained rage.
    Last edited by VoxPVoxD; 2008-08-28 at 08:04 PM.
    the busy the millions
    (as you're as can i'm)
    they flock and they flee
    say Be

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

Isaac

Isaac finishes his askance in time to hear the voice of conflict flair up once more, seeing the gray, furious-looking man hold a blade to the sickly thing that had claimed them. Once more, his mind jumped at the concept of freedom, and his eyes fall on the mace he had seen earlier. The gnoll reaches and grabs it, trying his best to slink his way to his feet, his gaze darting from the rebel to the monster.

Spoiler
    Show
    If it's needed...
    Hide check: (d20-1)[3]

16. - Top - End - #46

eek Re: Poe's Pawns (IC)

Poe stares at Kinedu blankly for a long moment, then he finally answers, "Poe remembers now."
    Last edited by Kaihaku; 2008-08-29 at 02:20 AM.

~Kahlil Gibran

17. - Top - End - #47
    Colossus in the Playground

Dyn

His eyes showing a mad mixture of hope and terror, Dyn starts grabbing items from the pile to equip himself with: the black leather armor, the large bronze candlestick, the hickory wood wand and the heavy gold necklace.
    "We will be free again...", he whispers.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Adyra

Adyra looks at Poe, "If you remember, please tell us." She looks at the others, "After he finishes, I'm willing to tell you all what I've gleaned of these items... perhaps we should talk about who can use which ones best, since we seem to be bound together in this quest."
    Last edited by Wiz; 2008-08-29 at 07:45 AM.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Rhion

Glancing at the people and the "grabbing" that happens around, Rhion can't help but remember a instance from one of the journeys he had with his family, where he had seen a bunch of jackals around a large animal carcass, trying to feed themselves quickly before other predators arrive. He grimaces.

"I... agree with her."

Spoiler
    Show
    No offense intended, for that's what he thinks. Probably.

20. - Top - End - #50

"No." Poe answers indifferently, tilting his head at the group scrambling to equip themselves.

Spoiler
    Show
    (5d20)[64]

((OoC: Vexing... Even I mess up with the dice roller. :P

[5, 14, 5, 2, 3] - rolled in the OoC thread.

Huh... Nevermind then.))
    Last edited by Kaihaku; 2008-08-29 at 07:35 PM.

~Kahlil Gibran

21. - Top - End - #51
    Pixie in the Playground

Kinedu

"ANSWER ME!" Kinedu snarls, brandishing the glass sword at Poe. His composure all but gone, it takes all of his will just to keep himself from launching himself at the dessicated savior and trying to tear out its brittle, rattling throat. "ANSWER ME! What do you want from me?!"
    the busy the millions
    (as you're as can i'm)
    they flock and they flee
    say Be

22. - Top - End - #52

confused Re: Poe's Pawns (IC)

"Ohhhhh...." Poe lets out a bothered moan, then it waves a hand dismissively at the irate being threatening it, "Poe shows, you don't go, then no."

Poe stands there for a moment stoically, then it scratches its decaying scalp shedding flakes of skin and hair.
    Last edited by Kaihaku; 2008-08-29 at 08:34 PM.

~Kahlil Gibran

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Adyra

Adyra stands and walks over to Kinedu. She touches him lightly on the shoulder. "Poe isn't human anymore... I don't think threats will work. We've all been geased to destroy his foe, Ya'cob. If we work against the geas, I have no idea what will happen... it's a far more powerful version of that spell than I have ever seen. Why don't we all sit down and talk about how we will use this equipment, and try to work together to survive." She gestures at the pile and the others. "Poe will tell us what he wants to tell us, when he himself realizes that we need to know certain things in order to do his bidding."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

24. - Top - End - #54
    Pixie in the Playground

Kinedu

At Adyra's touch, Kinedu whirls around, leading with his sword arm. The blade hovers perilous inches from her throat. His face isn't far behind it. Adyra can feel his hot acrid breath on her face. From this distance, his silver irises seem to swirl, as if they were volatile, unstable, flowing. His small nose and thin gray lips seem drawn-on, rather than real.

A powerful image suddenly fills Kinedu's mind. He could feel his head stretch, becoming elongated, animalistic. He could feel himself lashing out, faster than she could react. He could feel his teeth sinking into her neck, and the hot coppery rush of her blood.

The world slides back into focus, and he is once again standing there, in that cell, treasure strewn about. Adyra stands before him, intact. He hangs there, another moment, before dropping his arm, letting the sword almost touch the floor.

He backs up a step, shoulders shaking. A coarse gravelly sound rattles his throat. Another step back. His entire body shudders, and what sounds like a harsh cough escapes his tight-lipped mouth. Kinedu's back is to the wall. He looks down at the glass sword, up at Adyra, and then over at Poe. The free hand rises to his face, covering it almost completely. He begins to sink to the ground, sounding for all the world as if he was being strangled. Finally he settles into a seated position, among the chains that fell away from him mere minutes ago. From one prison, to another, to another.

The hand drops, and tears of mirth slide down Kinedu's flat gray cheeks. He laughs, a harsh, guttural, chuffing caw.

"Uk-toh," he mutters. "Uk-toh mehkha. This..." Another fit of grating laughter. "You win."
    the busy the millions
    (as you're as can i'm)
    they flock and they flee
    say Be

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Adyra

Adyra nods, "You are right. We were slaves before, and we are slaves now... nothing has changed except who holds the chain on our collars." She looks at Poe, "So... I assume you've delt with the free and we have time to outfit ourselves with this wonderful equipment you've provided. Do let us know when your ready with more instructions... master." She turns back to the pile and sighs heavily, then relates every bit of information she has learned or guessed about the things she has looked at. She redeposits everything she picked up back in the pile. "Did anyone else figure any of the other stuff out?"
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Rhion

Rhion watches Kinedu's fit with a sad expression. He throws a glance at Poe and wonders about how many similar situations he saw- no, created. Power rarely couples with compassion, he muses. And here in the Planes it was only the stakes that got bigger.

Sighing faintly, Rhion lets his eyes stay on Poe while zoning out in thoughts.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Orc in the Playground

Isaac

The tension that ran along his back and shoulders, the very will to fight against his new captor, the daring, soaring hope at the thought of returning home plummets when Kinedu's fierce composure breaks, the gnoll almost falling with him while the man chokes back his own tears and fails. A dark look crosses Isaac's face when he gazes upon Poe, but he comes to focus on the woman, the one who had shattered the grey man's fury with whatever truth she had spoken. Isaac imagined what is was, taking his place on the floor, his eyes tracing a line running between the plates of the iron structure. Hope was unfounded. They could not be free. Before he can let his thoughts overtake him, he hears the woman's voice again, her form poised over the collection of items, and as if in answer, he reaches out to take the shining buckler and the gleaming black chain shirt, pulling them back to his small corner of the room with a steady glance to each individual in turn, as if he was judging how they would react.

28. - Top - End - #58

furious Re: Poe's Pawns (IC)

"Hmmmm... Free?" Poe glances at Adyra quizzically, showing yet another would-be smile, "Free? Really?" It cackles, "Come, show Poe who is free, really?" Poe almost scoffs, "Free really... Poe wants to see the..." Poe pauses, its hideous attempt at a smile fading as it stares at the gnoll with sudden awareness, "Wait...that..." It turns to look at the others in the room, its gaze eventually settling on the glass sword shimmering in Kinedu's hand. "No..." Poe hisses, "Only Poe holds a blade of that mould." The undead glances around the scattered pile of items on the floor, "No! No! No! Those belong to Poe!"

Spoiler
    Show
    ((OoC: The irony of the timing isn't lost on me though it actually works well. Funny how the good rolls were in this set.

[16(Rhion), 11(Adyra), 15(Issac), 6(Kinedu), 20(Dyn)] - See OoC thread.

Right, I'm going to move this a bit quickly into the first battle.

Rhion, Adyra, Issac, and Dyn passed their listen checks and have a moment to prepare themselves, snatch a nearby item or raise a quick spell.))

Rhion, Adyra, Issac, and Dyn become aware of a series of loud metallic clanks coming from the corridor beyond. Over the last few weeks, it has become a familiar sound and it signals the arrival of one of their captors...or one of the constructs that had been their captors. The clanks come louder and with increasing frequency until...

Built like a juggernaut forged of rock, metal, and wood, the construct known as Rho appears in the doorway of the room. Though no surprise registers on the construct's solemn features, it come to a complete stop at the strange scene unfolding within the cell it has charge of.

As if suddenly sensing the construct, Poe abruptly whirls about, drawing a heavily-laden pouch from the shadows of its cloak and flinging it at Rho in a surprising display of agility, "Payment in full!"

Rho shifts slightly, bringing up a mighty arm and knocking the pouch away with a deflecting blow. The pouch spins through the air sending coinage of every kind flying before it crashes against a wall. Rho tilts his head ever so slightly, gazing at the wealth of scattered coins impassively.

There is a moment of silence.

Rho returns its gaze to the undead being before it, its deep voice reverberating through the room, "Your payment is insufficient." Its right hand splits in twain and folds aside as a long straight sword-blade slides out to take its place.

Poe snaps out a withered hand, dead fingers grasping a twisted wand pointed threatening at the construct, "Those go with Poe!" Power crackles over the wand and a brilliant surge of multi-colored energy blasts across the room and slams into Rho.

As the magic fades away, Rho is revealed changed; the various tones of gray, brown, silver, and black that dominated it have been changed into a myriad of outlandish colors. For example, the long iron blade protruding from its right arm is now a garish combination of neon green, maroon, and some color you've never even seen before. The construct begins to stride, purposefully, towards Poe, violent intent glimmering in its fleshless eyes.

"Noooooooo! Poe shrieks out as it drops the wands and scampers terrified to the far side of the room, "Protect Poe!"

Strangely and unfortunately, each of the five feel a strong persistent prodding in their minds to follow Poe's order; to cut off the advance of the...now lurid construct and to prevent it from harming Poe.
    Last edited by Kaihaku; 2008-08-30 at 05:18 AM.

~Kahlil Gibran

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Rhion

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaihaku View Post
    Rhion, Adyra, Issac, and Dyn passed their listen checks and have a moment to prepare themselves, snatch a nearby item or raise a quick spell.))
    You mean we have a moment before our turn comes up (before the start of combat), right? If that's the situation, the following part is his "before the combat" action.

Feeling a gratuitous sense of fear as his concentration is broken by the closing clanking noises across the corridor, Rhion snatches the first thing he can relate to himself, thinking that it could somehow help his... escape? He grabs the lavender belt and (if he has the time) quickly dons it. Then he looks expectantly at the doorway.

30. - Top - End - #60

Spoiler
    Show
    ((Indeed. Too bad you didn't get to grab the bone club or leather armor before this encounter. :P Maybe afterwards.))

As Rhion pulls the sash tight into place, he feels his fear abruptly subside. He is left with calm awareness unclouded by strong emotion.

~Kahlil Gibran