1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: GitP Dwarf Fortress Succession Game 4: Dwarves on Patrol

That site looks fine to me.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, and the next turn goes to: Kpenguin

Kpenguin, you've got 48 hours to post that the save is working. The world is posted in Wookietank's last gameplay post.

For an embark site, feel free to look around for one to your liking, and we can decide on it in-thread, or we could use the one that I found.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-11-09 at 11:09 PM.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

The save works. I even found the embark site you suggested. Deep soil and an aquifer means that the aquifer might stretch quite a ways downward... but hopefully the freezing temperatures will help with that.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, hopefully somebody has the expertise to break through that. I'm limited to plug breaching.

5. - Top - End - #305

Selected Entries from the Journal of kpenguin. Doctor, Administrator, and First Overseer of Inkedmine

Granite 1st, 111

Spoiler
    Show

WE HAVE ARRIVED!

A long arduous journey has borne fruit as we arrive at our destination. Here it is cold and wintery, a halfway frozen river flowing between two hills. I am told grizzly bears are among the wildlife found here. Already I see some choicely fearsome creatures.

Spoiler
    Show

Half snapping turtle men lurk in the waters, along with their pet beast: a giant turtle with the jaws of a crocodile. Frightening, though not as disturbing as the giant insects who plague our skies. Doubtless more savage wildlife will reveal itself in the coming year. I am glad I brought along a hunter, but his hunting gear seems to have been misplaced during the journey. I knew that human we passed on the road looked shifty eyed...

Turning to the earth, I've commanded our miners to dig down deep. To our dismay, but not surprise, we discover that on the third subterranean level, the ground fills with water. It seems we have embarked on an aquifer. Shame, but not unexpected. I've brought along some mudstone to deal with this problem and the trees here are bountiful.

I order preliminary digs to be dug into the western hillside. I expect our people to breach the aquifer and reach delicious stone soon enough, but until then we must dig where we can.

STRIKE THE EARTH! THE STORY OF INKEDMINED BEGINS NOW!

Granite 15th, 111

Farms, food stockpiles, and food production shops have been set up. In addition, the miners begin attempting to freeze-breach the aquifier .

Slate 25th, 111

Spoiler
    Show

The freeze-breach hole is complete, but the cold has subsided and the ice around us now thaws! We must wait until the cold returns again and freezes the water for us to proceed.

Felsite 11th, 111

Giant flying squirrels streak through the sky and amble on the land. What an amazing sight. I remember to order the construction of supplies for our hunter. We need some more meat.

Felsite 14th, 111

I pray for migrants to Armok in the coming summer. With only the seven of us, it is slow business hauling in our goods. What a world. Praying for migrants.

Hematite 21st, 111

Migrants
    Last edited by kpenguin; 2012-11-10 at 05:39 PM.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

Very nice. Ice can also be used as stone in certain situations, correct?

Did we use default settler roles, or was something else chosen?

By the way, if no Dorfing has occurred yet, I'd like to request a male smith, if we get one as a migrant.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-11-10 at 05:56 PM.

7. - Top - End - #307

Well, let's see, we started out with...

• Male Miner, with skill in masonry and engraving in addition
    • Female Miner, with skill in jewelry in addition
    • Female Woodworker, with some social skills
    • Male Hunter, with novice in tanning, butchery, bonecarving, and leatherworking
    • Male Stonecrafter, with some mechanics, furnace operating, weaponsmithing, and armorsmithing
    • Male Planter, with some other miscellaneous food skills
    • Female Diagnoser, with novice in all other medical skills, appraising, record keeping, and organizing

The last is who I have chosen as my dwarf. The migrants that came in this season are.

• Male Fishery Worker
    • Female Metalcrafter with some dying, cheesemaking, and growing

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Well, let's see, we started out with...

• Male Miner, with skill in masonry and engraving in addition
    • Female Miner, with skill in jewelry in addition
    • Female Woodworker, with some social skills
    • Male Hunter, with novice in tanning, butchery, bonecarving, and leatherworking
    • Male Stonecrafter, with some mechanics, furnace operating, weaponsmithing, and armorsmithing
    • Male Planter, with some other miscellaneous food skills
    • Female Diagnoser, with novice in all other medical skills, appraising, record keeping, and organizing

The last is who I have chosen as my dwarf. The migrants that came in this season are.

• Male Fishery Worker
    • Female Metalcrafter with some dying, cheesemaking, and growing
    I will take the planter, if you would. ^_^

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, that's a pretty good setup, with things the way they are. Metalcrafter will be good for exporting. I don't know if you've played this newest version much, but next migrant wave is usually a big one, 15+

I wouldn't mind our stonecrafter being named for me, if you feel like taking requests like this.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-11-10 at 08:28 PM.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd like to be whoever is doing the brewing, please, because I'm always the brewer.

... You didn't mention a brewer. We DO have a brewer, right? Right?

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm sure the planter could learn how to brew.

He did mention miscellaneous food skills.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-11-10 at 08:28 PM.

12. - Top - End - #312

Quote Originally Posted by Shpadoinkle View Post
    I'd like to be whoever is doing the brewing, please, because I'm always the brewer.

... You didn't mention a brewer. We DO have a brewer, right? Right?
    The planter is doing the brewing. He also cooks and threshes. I believe Tectonic Robot called that one.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I'll take the Hunter!
    Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    Causing Hideous laughter is an Extraordinary ability of 20th level monks.

At least, it should be.
    Proud Supporter of Vorpal Tribble's Monster Competition

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ettin in the Playground

EDIT: Miner McMinerson, the male miner, is called by the berrian.

I DON'T SEE ANYTHING ABOUT STONECRAFTERS IN THIS POST, NOPE.
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2012-11-11 at 02:12 AM.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

15. - Top - End - #315

Luzahn already called the stonecrafter, yo

16. - Top - End - #316
    Orc in the Playground

I will place dibs on the Fishery Worker, who shall henceforth be known as Frankel Odorbeard.

THERE WAS NEVER ANY MENTION OF HUNTERS IN THIS POST. YOU MUST HAVE BEEN SEEING THINGS.
    Last edited by Frankelshtein; 2012-11-11 at 02:15 AM.
    I am a forum poster. This is my signature.

G-Man by the wonderful Ceika
    Spoiler
    Show

Hextech Singed by the amazingly talented (and handsome) Thormag
    Steam Profile

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

I would like to take this opportunity to remind readers that playing a turn will allow you to selfishly build a mansion for your dwarf, now that you have them.

18. - Top - End - #318

Selected Entries from the Journal of kpenguin. Doctor, Administrator, and First Overseer of Inkedmine

Galena 9th, 111

Spoiler
    Show

With the completion of my new office, I am now able to begin the work of recordkeeping. They told me my administrative skills would be of no use in dwarf medical school. Well, look at me now. Across the gaping hole in the ground from my office is where we are constructing a temporary dormitory. I am loathe to order the construction of new bedrooms until we hit proper stone, but sleeping on the ground is no good either. The small dormitory, carved in dirt, will be good enough to serve our needs for now.

In the meanwhile, our hunter watches the skies. Nothing but meatless ravens at the moment, but now that Luzahn has made him bolts and crossbow, he will be ready to hunt and bring us delicious meat.

Limestone 1st, 111

Autumn has come. We now have stone workshops (though only what little we stone we brought with us), metal shops, wood shops, food shops, and so on in our fortress. The bare minimum of production has been met. The air begins to chill. I hope our water freezes soon. We need to reach stone. No matter the cost.

Sandstone 4th, 111

More migrants have arrived! Among our member now are a thresher, two farmers, two fishers , a woodcutter, a presser, and a weaponsmith. Truly this is a momentous day. With the caravan soon approaching, I have ordered ourmetalcrafter to begin working on crafts to export. Surely we shall show the Mountainhomes our success! After all, take a look at this beauty.

Spoiler
    Show

I am glad that we brought along some tetrahedrite on our journey. We lack any native ores to derive metals from.

Sandstone 15th, 111

One of our migrants, a farmer, claims to have talent in the use of spears. Another, a fisher, says he has been instructed in the ways of the hammer. Weapons are forged for their use. In addition, it seems we have some idle dwarves around. I must find some jobs for them soon, but I am also ordering the construction of a statuary to hold dwarves until they find something to do.

Timber 4th, 111

Spoiler
    Show

HUZZAH! The aquifer has begun to freeze! I can only hope that as winter comes, we will see it freeze even more. I hope it does, in any case. Then we shall tunnel into the ice and below! Also, our statuary is complete.

Timber 14th, 111

I'M IMPATIENT. LET'S BREACH THIS THING.

Timber 15th, 111

BREACH SUCCESSFUL.

Spoiler
    Show

There is stone, glorious siltstone, underneath. Here we can dig! Here we can mine! Here is where a proper dwarf finds his glory!

But our way is precarious. We must seal the outer layers of the staircase down with walls and for that to happen fully, we must have the entire shaft freeze over. It is a difficult time indeed.
    Last edited by kpenguin; 2012-11-11 at 03:24 AM.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow, that breach was surprisingly straightforward, well done.

Now, is that stone layer clear, or has that little bit just stopped being an aquifer due to breaching? I've had that happen once or twice.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-11-11 at 10:20 AM.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

Dibs on the weaponsmith dorf. Will have to remember about being able to freeze the aquifer next time I come across one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Frankelshtein View Post
    I will place dibs on the Fishery Worker, who shall henceforth be known as Frankel Odorbeard.

THERE WAS NEVER ANY MENTION OF HUNTERS IN THIS POST. YOU MUST HAVE BEEN SEEING THINGS.
    Male Hunter, with novice in tanning, butchery, bonecarving, and leatherworking

Are you sure? I've seen a hunter mentioned a few times now.
    Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    Causing Hideous laughter is an Extraordinary ability of 20th level monks.

At least, it should be.
    Proud Supporter of Vorpal Tribble's Monster Competition

22. - Top - End - #322

Timber 18th, 111
    The Outpost Liason and a merchant caravan from Mountainhomes has arrived. I eagerly order our silver goblets prepared for trade. Just as well, I appoint a more glib dwarf as broker. My own skills are quite competent at recording values, but we need somedwarf with the gift of gab if we are to peddle our wares. I am no salesdwarf, after all.

Timer 19th, 111
    Spoiler
    Show

Our broker has traded the silver goblets for metal bars, some bags, some food, and a steel spear. Not bad, all told.

Timber 20th, 111
    Spoiler
    Show

THIEF THIEF THIEF!

A kobold has been spotted lurking near our trade depot! Where the precious goods of our fortress and the Mountainhomes lay! Luckily she was spotted and fled before any mischief could happen. We must set up some defenses before the goblins arrive. It seems word of our wealth has reached the ears of most.

Moonstone 1st, 111

Winter is upon us. The hole in the aquifer shows no signs of freezing completely. Troubling. If it doesn't freeze over before the thaw come spring, there will be no opportunity to build walls around the staircase down. If that happens, the ice will thaw and the area being mined out below stairs will be flooded.

Moonstone 14th, 111
    Spoiler
    Show

We have struck native silver! Ore for the smelting. I order more to be mined out below. Hopefully we can get as much ore and stone as we can before it all gets flooded by the icewalls thawing.

Moonstone 24th, 111

The flying squirrels have returned. An excellent proving ground for our two milita dwarves. I send the two out. First to bag a giant squirrel gets to be commander!

Moonstone 26th, 111
    Spoiler
    Show

Ding ding! We have a winner!

I am appointing this fierce hammerdwarf as our militia commander and ordering the body be brought back to the fort to be butchered. Tonight we dine on squirrel!

Opal 5th, 111
    Spoiler
    Show

Attempts to drain the hole of water with a pump meet a resounding failure. I must attempt an alternative route to getting a stable staircase to the underground or order a withdrawal before the flood.

Opal 26th, 111
    Spoiler
    Show

Success! I have widened the hole into the aquifer enough to get a good buffer of ice, enough to construct a second staircase and then a wall around the staircase! With this, we have a stable way into the underground. Its only a single staircase, so traffic between the upper areas and the lower areas will be heavily congested. I leave it up to my successors to build a wider highway into the stonefilled areas.

Until then, we mine. Oh how we mine. Stone for everyone!

Obsidian 7th, 111
    Spoiler
    Show

Miner Minerson has started calling himself A Legend. Getting uppity, if you ask me.

Obsidian 13th, 111
    Our miners have discovered something... marvelous and terrifying.
    Spoiler
    Show

A cavern below is now open to us! And already we spot something troubling: A troglodyte! It flees. I can only hope that more of its kind do not come. The militia is on the ready and I order the construction of a drawbridge to close off the caverns if need be.

Obsidian 20th, 111
    Spoiler
    Show

A trogodyte crept into the inner workings of our fortress. Our militia commander engaged the monster just outside of my office, beating it to death with her silver hammer. Perhaps a permanent patrol should be posted by the drawbridge. Or some traps set up to catch these creatures before they reach into the fort.

Obsidian 21st, 111

Two more thieves are spotted near our fortress. Perhaps this is a good sign. We have things worth to steal.

Obsidian 23rd, 111
    DISASTER! A troll has crept up from the caverns into our fortress! It has struck down a speardwarf! It attacks a woodcutter, who, while grievously injured, manages to damage its hand. I can only hope our militia commander can slay the beast!

Obsidian 24th, 111
    Spoiler
    Show

GLORY TO ARMOK! OUR MILITIA COMMANDER HAS SLAIN THE UMOZODOM THE TROLL!

I begin ordering the construction of coffins. I imagine we'll need more in the coming years.

Granite 1st, 111
    Spoiler
    Show

Its been a long hard year. But we've made it to the next spring. I, kpenguin, am resigning as overseer. For my successor, remember to finish that drawbridge. Or perhaps wall off the caverns entirely. Dig a new hole to get a wider way down. Our fortress lacks bedrooms and dining halls. I had scant time or space for such during my year. Build these. And get working on crafts. Luzahn's skills are rusting.

[Save File]
    [Map]
    Last edited by kpenguin; 2012-11-12 at 05:50 PM.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh hey a post! Excellent, for some reason the thread wasn't showing that it had a new post. I blame moderator wizardry or something.

A single-tile stair should be good enough. Most of our operations will probably be under there, anyway. How far down is that cavern by the way?
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-11-13 at 12:22 AM.

24. - Top - End - #324

Eight levels down from the surface.

And yeah. Hopefully we can move all our operations down to the stone levels. I didn't make a dining hall or proper bedrooms because the idea of making them in dirt bothered me grievously.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground

Considering the real life stuff that I've been dealing with, and probably will continue having to deal with in the immediate future (at least for the next six weeks) I think I'm going to have to step down as the "organizer" (for lack of a better term) of the thread. If someone else would like to take that over, go for it (Luzahn has been doing a good job of it so far, so I'd recommend him, but it's not really my thread anymore so you guys can do what you want with it.)

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, if nobody objects, I'll at least start this next turn for now. We can deal with any other stuff later.

Please post within 24 hours if you are interested in playing the next turn. At this time tomorrow the next player will be randomly selected from the pool.

From my experience, the second year is often fairly calm, with only thieves and cave beasties to deal with. So this would be a good opportunity for novice players to give it a try.

I'll be abstaining from this round until everybody who hasn't played since my last turn has had an opportunity to go, but I'll be available if no-one else is.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-11-13 at 07:41 PM.

27. - Top - End - #327

I have no objections to Luzahn running the show.

I, of course, have no interest in playing the next turn. Rather see what someone else does with the fort.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

On the one hand, I'd sort of like to try...

On the other, I don't know how to play...

>_<

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    On the one hand, I'd sort of like to try...

On the other, I don't know how to play...

>_<
    Go for it! You can't do any worse than me at this point

On a more serious note, the best way I've found to learn how to play DF is by doing. I've learned a lot about military and farming in the past two forts that I didn't know before, and with any luck I'll eventually get trade figured out properly.

Also losing is Fun, so join in and have some Fun!
    Last edited by Wookieetank; 2012-11-14 at 09:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    Go for it! You can't do any worse than me at this point

On a more serious note, the best way I've found to learn how to play DF is by doing. I've learned a lot about military and farming in the past two forts that I didn't know before, and with any luck I'll eventually get trade figured out properly.

Also losing is Fun, so join in and have some Fun!
    Plus, if you post often enough, we'll see your errors and yell at you about how to fix them.