New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Default Re: MS Paint Adventures 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    I was asked to shut up about my hate towards Dirk. I did so.

But don't push me.
    I don't hate Dirk, as such. But the notion of the übercool Author Avatar saving the day sort of rubs me the wrong way (I was fearing this before the update as well). Still, awesome update(s).

2. - Top - End - #392
    Barbarian in the Playground

Concerning godtierhood:
    Dirk might be able to spawn a new dreamself from an other figment of him in somebody else's head like he did before.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRogue View Post
    I don't hate Dirk, as such. But the notion of the übercool Author Avatar saving the day sort of rubs me the wrong way (I was fearing this before the update as well). Still, awesome update(s).
    Dirk isn't an author avatar. We already have an author avatar in this story.

Dirk's just an awesome character.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Dirk isn't an author avatar. We already have an author avatar in this story.
    Surely not a full blown one, but there's elements of it.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ettin in the Playground

Ugh.....Dirk has kind of made me reach critical mass. All the problems I find in the story Dirk kind of magnifies and prevents me from ignoring. I love Homestuck. I love every character in their own way. Except for Dirk.

All my hopes for Dirk getting knocked down a peg are kind of gone. And he has become too unbearable for me to continue.

Dam you Dirk. Dam you. Your making me quit Homestuck after a year and a half.

edit: Somebody PM me if he does get knocked down a peg.
    Last edited by Scowling Dragon; 2012-07-09 at 03:25 PM.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by maximus25 View Post
    Dirk is the best character ever.

Are we all in agreement?
    He's alright. I can see why people like him, but his text color clashes with the background and sometimes pesterlogs involving him or Hal get really boring to trudge through.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

7. - Top - End - #397
    Titan in the Playground

Surely not a full blown one, but there's elements of it.
    A character being awesome does not make him an author avatar.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

8. - Top - End - #398
    Troll in the Playground

Bwuh. Dirk you magnificent something something, you.
    Truth resists simplicity.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Troll in the Playground

Ugh.....Dirk has kind of made me reach critical mass. All the problems I find in the story Dirk kind of magnifies and prevents me from ignoring. I love Homestuck. I love every character in their own way. Except for Dirk.

All my hopes for Dirk getting knocked down a peg are kind of gone. And he has become too unbearable for me to continue.

Dam you Dirk. Dam you. Your making me quit Homestuck after a year and a half.

edit: Somebody PM me if he does get knocked down a peg.

I made a dam of Dirk Striders because i'm mean.

I still don't understand how one character can make you hate Homestuck.
    ____

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't. Its just that over the while, I have had some pretty large problems with homestuck. But as long as the characters where good, and the occasional awesome flash came along I was willing to ignore them.

But Dirk is sort of the Key to the Floodgate. I was hoping there would be an arc where he would stop being so smug as his own inane annoyance would mess everything up (I was expecting him telling Jake to be less believing would cause Jake to not kiss Dirk for that reason) but alas no.

Also how IS it spelt? Im sorry.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Troll in the Playground

Ehehe, sorry for being so rude about it. It's spelled 'damn' though, with an N.
    ____

12. - Top - End - #402
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hey, don't lose your head about Dirk -- he got that covered already.

Anyway, if Jake didn't go on with the corpsesmooch, what would have happened? Dream Dirk wouldn't have woken up, so he wouldn't have woken up Dream Roxy, so nobody would have been around to wake up Dream Jane, and also nobody would have been around to wake up Real Jake. Pretty much a "rocks fall; everybody dies" ending to that arc. If Dirk had been totally super awesome, his plan wouldn't have involved sendificating his head away from his body.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Hey, don't lose your head about Dirk -- he got that covered already.
    PadumPish

Anyway, if Jake didn't go on with the corpsesmooch, what would have happened?
    Shenanigains. Or more likely the events would have been structured differently so that they made sense.

Anyway yeah.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Titan in the Playground

Dirk is the best character ever.

Are we all in agreement?
    Yes I am in agreements.

He is a rocket-skateboard kamina sunglasses mastermind.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground

But Dirk is sort of the Key to the Floodgate. I was hoping there would be an arc where he would stop being so smug as his own inane annoyance would mess everything up
    You are aware that we're not really that far along in his character arc yet, right? The first group took several thousand pages to get their character development, why are you expecting Dirk to get his so quickly?

16. - Top - End - #406
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Is it just me or was the thing with Lil Hal getting Jake to kiss Dirk's head uneccessary. There were three pairs of perfectly functional lips right there that could have done the job.
    But then Dirk wouldn't have gotten the x3 Corpse makeouts combo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

A character being awesome does not make him an author avatar.
    Andrew has identified himself with Dave before, and Dirk is Dave turned up to 11. Also he has the same tattoo as Hussie.

But yeah, you're probably right. AH is way too good a writer to pull stuff like this, but if it was a lesser human being I would certainly find this suspicious.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ettin in the Playground

You are aware that we're not really that far along in his character arc yet, right? The first group took several thousand pages to get their character development, why are you expecting Dirk to get his so quickly?
    I wasn't. But Im no longer expecting him too. Because his smug prancing about is now justified. He just singlehandedly saved everybody.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonAngel View Post
    I made a dam of Dirk Striders because i'm mean.
    Lol, what is this I don't even.

But seriously, I have no idea why but this is the funniest thing ever. I am crying here. And I don't know why.

Is it just me or was the thing with Lil Hal getting Jake to kiss Dirk's head uneccessary. There were three pairs of perfectly functional lips right there that could have done the job.
    But then Dirk wouldn't have gotten the x3 Corpse makeouts combo.
    Yeah, this is where Dirk is a ****. He managed to set up having his main romantic rival watch having their mutual crush make out with his own severed head. Writing that sentence has pretty much cemented my love for this comic, but the point stands--it's a di(r)k move.

Also, love Roxy in all of this--she wears her heart on her sleeve and her expressions make her the perfect foil for Jane.
    Homebrew Directory
    Best summation of Internet arguments:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing Commander Forums
    And now I leave you to rant and rave over how I just don't get it with a smug sense of self-satisfaction, I leave with a smug sense of self-satisfaction over having made a pointless reply to a pointless rant on the internet

20. - Top - End - #410
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Andrew has identified himself with Dave before, and Dirk is Dave turned up to 11. Also he has the same tattoo as Hussie.

But yeah, you're probably right. AH is way too good a writer to pull stuff like this, but if it was a lesser human being I would certainly find this suspicious.
    It dosn't have to be an author avatar for it to get a little annoying, but Homestuck is as much about characters being funny as it is about them being badass, and the other characters have gotten good screen time to be interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Wow. That was totally epic. I'm not entirely pleased with the way Lil Hal and Dirk manipulated Jake (Although This is a pretty darn epic background), but man if I wasn't cheering for Dirk most of the way through this, I don't know what I was doing. Well, apart from laughing at Jane and Roxy's facial expression.

On the topic of Dirk's character development here: Ultimately, I don't see a problem with Dirk getting his own awesome chess master moment here. Pride cometh before the fall, but if Dirk is just an overconfident jerk, then we're not going to view the inevitable fall as something tragic. This event gives us reason to understand why Dirk is right to be so confident, so that when it does bite him in the butt, it's a properly epic moment.
    Last edited by Squark; 2012-07-09 at 09:02 PM.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

22. - Top - End - #412
    Banned

Anyone else slightly giggle at the fact that Squarewave basically morphs into a white Perfectly Generic Object?

It is my headcanon that Dirk and Meenah attempted to slap each other and failed miserably. Perfectly symmetrical violence never really solved anything.

It has been theorized that a Prince's arc involves their aspect getting destroyed. In line with this Dirk is predicted to have his Heart broken at some point in the story.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ogre in the Playground

I love Jane's terrified face as she rides the rocket board. However, I still don't get why dirk lopped off his own head.
    If you need me somewhere, don't hesitate to PM me. I have bad mental health days sometimes, so if I vanish that's probably why. PMs will help break me out of that.
    ~~~~~
    Games I'm Running:
    Digimon: Recollections (OoC)
    Fate/Grand Order: Chaldean Irregulars (OoC)
    ~~~~~
    Kyoko-atar by Coronalwave

24. - Top - End - #414
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord pringle View Post
    I love Jane's terrified face as she rides the rocket board. However, I still don't get why dirk lopped off his own head.
    He had to get to Derse quickly to wake up Jane and grab Roxy. He also had to go to Roxy's place to kiss her to keep her alive. Killing himself at Roxy's place was the fastest and easiest way to get to the frog temple to emerge on Jakes Island and grab Jane, as opposed to kiss roxy, leave squarewave, go back through the window, back to his own home, enter the medium the traditional way, fly to derse from the land of whatever and whatever, pick up roxy, kiss jane, and then fly off to the frog temple.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #415
    Banned

I think this mean that Dirk's dreamself was retroactively awoken. That's why he was awake his whole life, because he made his Awakening achievement early.
    Last edited by irenicObserver; 2012-07-09 at 11:14 PM.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ogre in the Playground

Very impressive and thought out. It annoys me a little mostly because Dirk seems to formulate the plan to fast to be acceptable at least for me.
    DEGENERATION 86: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grytorm View Post
    Very impressive and thought out. It annoys me a little mostly because Dirk seems to formulate the plan to fast to be acceptable at least for me.
    He flashstepped. But instead of moving around at incredibly high speeds, he just sat down and wrote out like five different versions of the plan until he came up with one that would work. In the blink of an eye.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grytorm View Post
    Could have been AR. Those crazy shades are awesome.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Titan in the Playground

Could have been AR. Those crazy shades are awesome.
    Pretty sure it was all by AR, by virtue of his statements to Jake.

I don't like Little Hal. He's very ominous.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

30. - Top - End - #420
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGirl

I should probably stop reading this thread. When I was watching the flash, most of what I was thinking was "Wow, this is really going to upset the Dirk haters."