New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1483
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: RWBY IX: Fractured Fairy Tales

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Penny wasn't a prototype weapon or anything of that nature. She was an experiment by Atlas to see if they could transfer Aura from one place to another. She was a prototype for the machine in the vault that Amber was in. They only gave Penny combat abilities after the fact because once they had a sapient, arguably living robot girl, what else were they going to do with her?
    Okay so this is actually a legitimately good answer.

But also "not weaponize a literal child" is my answer to that question. I realize that's already far gone a decision for this world in general, but hm, maybe not... weaponize the living being you created off hand. Just a feeling.

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post

But also "not weaponize a literal child" is my answer to that question. I realize that's already far gone a decision for this world in general, but hm, maybe not... weaponize the living being you created off hand. Just a feeling.
    Your right of course

However they are a fictional military. their entire purpose in any story is to turn whatever they find into a weapon as an unsubtle commentary on the nature of the military mindset.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #1443

Penny wasn't a prototype weapon or anything of that nature. She was an experiment by Atlas to see if they could transfer Aura from one place to another. She was a prototype for the machine in the vault that Amber was in. They only gave Penny combat abilities after the fact because once they had a sapient, arguably living robot girl, what else were they going to do with her?
    could you provide citations for all of that?

Also, Penny's torso is full of swords. Kinda seems like the kind of thing that only makes sense if she was built that way.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Troll in the Playground

Is it bit of interesting that we have shang tsung named cinder in RWBY and you gents kinda never made the connection for pyra's possible return as far as i remember cinder absorbs the body as well as soul for maidens case so can you gents put two plus two together and see the slightly open door in the plot plus the whole penny project feels kinda perfect excuse to have some atlas mad scientist to dabble soul transference which can be in plot explanation for how cinder does the soul/ power absorption. so lets say girls found few clues how cinder does and ruby finds trick to make cinder release the maiden powers she absorbed then tech guys can make the maiden transfer to penny like suit while pyra's tortured soul accidently regains her body via mystical eye mumbo jumbo boom two or three plots solved in good note and teams ready to handle salem situation with full power. plus if rooster teeth playes cards right none of you bath an eye when she return.( as writing perspective gen:lock kinda created good enough excuse why twice dead character returned in flesh ( cough cough chase). replace mind to flesh brain download with some mystical excuse and same or similar plot can be used in RWBY with some changes.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Ettin in the Playground

*slaps forehead* How could we not have seen it?! It was staring us in the face all along!

Wait, no, that makes no sense for any of the characters or plot lines in the show.

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Ogre in the Playground

Sure, weaponizing a child is morally wrong. That doesn't mean no one's going to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    could you provide citations for all of that?
    Ironwood specifically saying that they've been studying Aura and how to transfer it and that they've made "significant strides" in that area. If that's not implying past success, then I don't know what is.

Also, Penny's torso is full of swords. Kinda seems like the kind of thing that only makes sense if she was built that way.
    Nope. The swords are in her backpack, not her body. This is a common misconception due to the poor animation, but it has been explicitly confirmed that they are in the pack, not her.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

7. - Top - End - #1447

Sure, weaponizing a child is morally wrong. That doesn't mean no one's going to do it.

Ironwood specifically saying that they've been studying Aura and how to transfer it and that they've made "significant strides" in that area. If that's not implying past success, then I don't know what is.
    That does not confirm that Penny, who was made by people who were explicitly making combat robots, was not made for combat purposes.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

RWBY X: Who Gave The Robot Ninja Swords?
    My Homebrew
    Healer: Pathfinder remake of the 3.5 class of the same name. Light, restoration, and more positive energy effects than you can shake a cleric at.

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Troll in the Playground

Hey so here's a thought.

Why give them souls in the first place? The Grimm sense emotions. Giving them emotions seems like the opposite of what you want.
    The Grimm are said to attack “man” and “his creations.” Atlas’ automotive machines count regardless of whether they have emotion.

It is far gone, so I’m not sure where you are going with this and whether its some sort of criticism or something. We all know what Atlas is and what it is doing and that they’ve gone pretty far down the Frankensteinian path.

Ironwood thinks he needs this sort of thing to fight Salem. In reality, we know that his weapons are likely to land in her lap, like they already have in Volume 2, and 3. Its pretty clear the Atlas Military main role in the story is to supply another sort of antagonist for RWBY to fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

RWBY X: Marks the spot
    RWBY X: Aura gen all sin
    RWBY X: Aura gen story
    RWBY X: What do you mean Oz isn't a werewolf?
    RWBY X: Y and Z
    RWBY X: TRA SPECIAL
    rwbyOS X
    RWBY X: Now a hit mobile game!
    RWBY X: This was the best title we could come up with

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey so here's a thought.

Why give them souls in the first place? The Grimm sense emotions. Giving them emotions seems like the opposite of what you want.
    Aura is not demonstratably linked to the soul. Aura fuels Semblances, which ARE connected to the soul, we know that due to the maiden powers. So ultimately it's that last point you made.
    Yeah, the second part was already answered. Aura has been described as linked to the soul a few different times.

As for why...got a couple different theories on that.

1) The soul/aura was part of the process of making a true AI. Penny didn't just take orders and come up with plans on her own, she felt, made choices, and disagreed with her outright superiors. She was a robot, but very much a person, and to get that level of autonomy in her AI was only possible if she had a soul.

2) It wasn't technically part of Atlas'/Ironwood's design. Its very obvious that Penny was as much the passion project of her 'father' as she was a secret Atlas experiment. Ironwood might have wanted better, less scary autonomous soldiers and Penny's father might have stipulated 'sure, but I want a kid so the first one is a collaboration to make a daughter'.

3) Ironwood wants to remove people from the conflict. Replacing them with machines is something he's already doing. Penny might have gone too far in that regard, but more 'person-like bots' is clearly Ironwood's goal. Soul means Aura, Aura means Semblance, and Aura+Semblance means not just soldiers but hunters could no longer be needed.

4) I find it very unlikely it had anything to do with Amber, but Celestia's theory could work too. The only reason I find it unlikely is because Cinder's attack on Amber was relatively recent. Not long before the series starts I would wager, but Ironwood talks about how they've been studying Aura from a scientific perspective for awhile now and Penny seems too advanced to have been build in the short few weeks leading up to Penny's appearance in the show. I do think Penny's construction provided the research needed to build the aura transfer device they kept Amber in.

Honestly there are a LOT of plausible theories for why Penny was made with a soul, its just a matter of which one they go with if it comes up again...which I hope it would and expect it to, but it might not.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

12. - Top - End - #1452

I just want RWBY and co to get to Atlas and Penny's just walking the streets, sees them and runs over.

"Penny, what? How?"

"I'm a machine. I was rebuilt. I mean, my core body was still in one piece, I only shut down because severeing the main wires for my power circuit got cut."

"Huh...?"

"Think less 'Dead' and more 'in a coma.' Now, is Pyrrha here? I want to make sure she knows there are no hard feelings."
    Last edited by Rater202; 2019-09-02 at 03:57 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #1453
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    2) It wasn't technically part of Atlas'/Ironwood's design. Its very obvious that Penny was as much the passion project of her 'father' as she was a secret Atlas experiment. Ironwood might have wanted better, less scary autonomous soldiers and Penny's father might have stipulated 'sure, but I want a kid so the first one is a collaboration to make a daughter'.
    Ironwood was specifically talking about transfering aura, not creating it. My fan theory is that Penny's father is legitimately her father. Penny was once a human girl who suffered some sort of degenerate disorder and was going to die. Her father stuck her soul in a robot body to save her. As for why she doesn't remember that, either her memories were damaged/erased by the transfer or he intentionally erased that part so that she wouldn't freak out or something.

4) I find it very unlikely it had anything to do with Amber, but Celestia's theory could work too. The only reason I find it unlikely is because Cinder's attack on Amber was relatively recent. Not long before the series starts I would wager, but Ironwood talks about how they've been studying Aura from a scientific perspective for awhile now and Penny seems too advanced to have been build in the short few weeks leading up to Penny's appearance in the show. I do think Penny's construction provided the research needed to build the aura transfer device they kept Amber in.

Honestly there are a LOT of plausible theories for why Penny was made with a soul, its just a matter of which one they go with if it comes up again...which I hope it would and expect it to, but it might not.
    I'm not saying that Penny was developed for the sole purpose of preparing Amber's chamber. It's more like Atlas has been studying aura for years for various applications, one of which may have been a design like the chamber in case one of the Maidens got injured, as with Amber, or if the powers ended up in the wrong hands, they could force them into the "right" person. Either way, Penny was very likely a prototype for any such area-based machine.

I just want RWBY and co to get to Atlas and Penny's just walking the streets, sees them and runs over.

"Penny, what? How?"

"I'm a machine. I was rebuilt. I mean, my core body was still in one piece, I only shut down because severeing the main wires for my power circuit got cut."

"Huh...?"

"Think less 'Dead' and more 'in a coma.' Now, is Pyrrha here? I want to make sure she knows there are no hard feelings."
    Penny coming back would completely ruin her death. It also wouldn't make sense as she's not just a robot. She was a person with a soul. They could rebuild the body, but that won't bring back Penny.

14. - Top - End - #1454

Penny coming back would completely ruin her death. It also wouldn't make sense as she's not just a robot. She was a person with a soul. They could rebuild the body, but that won't bring back Penny.
    1: Again, the entire purpose of the program that created Penny was to be able to not put people at risk. if Penny can't be put back together then that defies the purpose of the program.

2: That assumes that Penny "died" instead of simply turning off. A combat robot that's permanently destroyed when its arms and legs get torn off is a pretty poorly designed combat robot.

3: Does Krillin being wished back to life with the Dragon Balls invalidate the emotions that his death caused or the things that led from it. Penny's "deaath" had an impact on the narrative. Her coming back to life would not magically undo that effect.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Ogre in the Playground

1: Again, the entire purpose of the program that created Penny was to be able to not put people at risk. if Penny can't be put back together then that defies the purpose of the program.
    You're stretching pretty far to declare so confidently that what Penny's purpose was. And to assume that a prototype would possess every possible feature.

2: That assumes that Penny "died" instead of simply turning off. A combat robot that's permanently destroyed when its arms and legs get torn off is a pretty poorly designed combat robot.
    And claiming that Penny never died in the first place would ruin the impact of the scene even more.

3: Does Krillin being wished back to life with the Dragon Balls invalidate the emotions that his death caused or the things that led from it. Penny's "deaath" had an impact on the narrative. Her coming back to life would not magically undo that effect.
    Yes, absolutely. Death in DBZ is completely meaningless. It's basically like taking a vacation. Hell, by the end of the series, not even the characters, themselves, treat is seriously anymore. Pointing to DBZ as an example of meaningful character death is the funniest joke of the entire thread.

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Ettin in the Playground

Ironwood was specifically talking about transfering aura, not creating it. My fan theory is that Penny's father is legitimately her father. Penny was once a human girl who suffered some sort of degenerate disorder and was going to die. Her father stuck her soul in a robot body to save her. As for why she doesn't remember that, either her memories were damaged/erased by the transfer or he intentionally erased that part so that she wouldn't freak out or something.
    This is true and could be possible. I would even say its yet another compelling possibility for how to resolve that glaringly obvious plot thread still hanging around. The point remains that her 'father', just by simple fact that Penny thinks of him as her father and he apparently thinks of her as someone who needs protecting, obviously thinks of her more closely than the others around her who know her secret. Other than Ruby that is!

I'm not saying that Penny was developed for the sole purpose of preparing Amber's chamber. It's more like Atlas has been studying aura for years for various applications, one of which may have been a design like the chamber in case one of the Maidens got injured, as with Amber, or if the powers ended up in the wrong hands, they could force them into the "right" person. Either way, Penny was very likely a prototype for any such area-based machine.[/QUOTE]

Yes, absolutely. Death in DBZ is completely meaningless. It's basically like taking a vacation. Hell, by the end of the series, not even the characters, themselves, treat is seriously anymore. Pointing to DBZ as an example of meaningful character death is the funniest joke of the entire thread.
    How Penny talks makes it fairly clear that not many people who know what she is considers her to be 'people'. Understandably so.

2. The noises and weight of the scene are what betray the fact she died. Even then, it wasn't just her arms and legs torn off, she was torn apart. The most intact piece of her was her head. You're also ignoring getting hit by a massive magnetic wave just before said dismemberment.

3 Addressing Celestia and Rater on this one, yes and no. It had an effect early on cause gathering the Dragon Balls was still hard. It had an effect later on because there was real doubt about if they would be able to bring Krillin back, plus it was how he died. And even then, death has meaning in DBZ because there are still rules to that cannot be broken, just worked around. IE When Master Roshi almost died from strain in the Universal Tournament arc, it would have counted as a death of 'natural causes' which no dragon except the Super one can break someone back from...and the main characters are physically incapable of gathering those.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    rwbyOS X
    RWBY X: Now a hit mobile game!
    RWBY X: This was the best title we could come up with
    These work but not the best, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Addressing Celestia and Rater on this one, yes and no. It had an effect early on cause gathering the Dragon Balls was still hard. It had an effect later on because there was real doubt about if they would be able to bring Krillin back, plus it was how he died. And even then, death has meaning in DBZ because there are still rules to that cannot be broken, just worked around. IE When Master Roshi almost died from strain in the Universal Tournament arc, it would have counted as a death of 'natural causes' which no dragon except the Super one can break someone back from...and the main characters are physically incapable of gathering those.
    I think Rater was talking of Krillin's original death in original Dragonball, where death was not indicated to be reversible when it originally occurred (but they figure it out rather fast and prepare Krillin a cryochamber so he can await resurrection). I think his point is that the death is still felt for its full impact when it occurs even if its later reversed.

However, looking back on any fictional character's death, I think most of us would agree it absolutely takes something away from how we view the impact of a death when the character comes back later. This is true pretty much everytime it happens.

Regardless of whether the comeback involves Namekian Wish Orbs, Time Travel shenanigans, a Parallel Universe doppelgänger, cloning, or a robot imposter, the very concept of death starts to lose its sting in a story after its revealed that a character can be brought back.

Dragonball is particularly egregious with this because I can't remember what, if anything, I ever felt when I first saw Krillin die. From where I am standing, Krillin dying and Goku going crazy over it is now just a laughable internet meme. Not to mention, as it stands, currently the threat of death in the still-kamahamahaming Dragonball franchise akin is to the threat of a receiving a "bad cold," quoting another franchise.
    Last edited by Reddish Mage; 2019-09-05 at 03:04 PM.
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.

18. - Top - End - #1458
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

FYI: I'm not going to rush to create the next thread. Expect it to spill over several extra pages if need be, so there's no hurry to make a final decision on a name just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    These work but not the best, yet.
    We could always name it after some location in the series.

e.g.
    rwbyOS X: Argus

Or just after a bunch of rag-tag adventurers who have abandoned those in authority and follow their own whims.

e.g.
    rwbyOS X: Mavericks

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

19. - Top - End - #1459
    Troll in the Playground

So this article goes over the recent deaths in Marvel’s House of X. Spoiler alert, big name mutants die.

It talks about how to give something emotional impact when we all know these deaths are reversible.

The fact that it’s so tricky tells you how jaded we are. Moreover, the deaths of A-tier characters, if they were thought to be permanent, would probably warrant actual news media attention.

20. - Top - End - #1460
    Troll in the Playground

So this article goes over the recent deaths in Marvel’s House of X. Spoiler alert, big name mutants die.

It talks about how to give something emotional impact when we all know these deaths are reversible.

The fact that it’s so tricky tells you how jaded we are. Moreover, the deaths of A-tier characters, if they were thought to be permanent, would probably warrant actual news media attention.
    speaking of marvel the friendly gangster remember the Charles Xavier the biggest headache on mutant side along with magneto guess what he is back in business folks thanks to one thief giving him spare body so if marvel can return character with no imortality return to life then rooster teeth also can return any one they want back from dead how about torchwick returning to plot to only be killed by cinder throw it in. that remimds me thank you guys for creating legitimate loop hole to make return of pyra nickos possible. and new story is much more sanes then my cinder shang tsung plot. lets hope some way that soul transfer plot becomes real.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

21. - Top - End - #1461
    Troll in the Playground

So I just realized playing Amity Arena the other day and Pyrrha abilities reflect the two things Zodi hates about her the most:

Epic Pyrrha can throw her shield, and its an incredibly powerful attack that wipes out most enemies, usually used to clear mobs.

Legendary Pyrrha (called Pomegrenade since the active ability is allows Nora to jump the shield and come down really fricken hard on mobs or towers) has an additional unique Pyrrha ability though. When Pyrrha is fridged dies, all allies in a wide radius get supercharged and attack and move really fast for a few seconds.

I find this interesting for some reason. Moreover....

That's it! This should be the name of the next thread:

RWBY X: Amity Arena

22. - Top - End - #1462

I feel called out, but am not knowledgeable enough with the game in question to really understand it.

Anyway, the RWBY DC comic has given us the wonderful side story of "Raven showed up at Ruby's house to make fun of her and her dead mom on her dad mom's birthday in raven form for basically no reason" and it's real real good and by good I mean outright terrible.

23. - Top - End - #1463
    Troll in the Playground

I feel called out, but am not knowledgeable enough with the game in question to really understand it.

Anyway, the RWBY DC comic has given us the wonderful side story of "Raven showed up at Ruby's house to make fun of her and her dead mom on her dad mom's birthday in raven form for basically no reason" and it's real real good and by good I mean outright terrible.
    I thought I describe the mechanics enough. For background its a tower defense game. Pyrrha is a unit with average move and attack speed and a fairly high attack and DPS (using her spear to melee), she has the most HP of any of the human epic units. You put her on your side of the map and she'll advance toward the enemy tower, or towards a close enemy, like every other unit without special movement.

So basically, her shield is awesome and kills a lot, and her other awesome move (in a most powerful variant) is dying and inspiring others by her death.

Previously, you criticized her throwing her shield in the Cinder fight, which lead directly to her death, which lead to inspiring Jaune and unlocking RWBY's silver eye power.

The comic sounds terrible. Where can I buy it?

24. - Top - End - #1464

I thought I describe the mechanics enough. For background its a tower defense game. Pyrrha is a unit with average move and attack speed and a fairly high attack and DPS (using her spear to melee), she has the most HP of any of the human epic units. You put her on your side of the map and she'll advance toward the enemy tower, or towards a close enemy, like every other unit without special movement.

So basically, her shield is awesome and kills a lot, and her other awesome move (in a most powerful variant) is dying and inspiring others by her death.

Previously, you criticized her throwing her shield in the Cinder fight, which lead directly to her death, which lead to inspiring Jaune and unlocking RWBY's silver eye power.

The comic sounds terrible. Where can I buy it?
    Yeah, I think I get it now. I just hadn't heard of that game before.

I don't necessarily hate shield throwing or people using the deaths of their allies to inspire them to greater heights. But Pyrrha had no reason to throw her shield and truthfully Ruby barely interacted with Pyrrha so I don't buy it.

But yeah, mechanics! When you've got a character famous for dying, you're gonna make an ability around that in loo of anything else to do with her.

25. - Top - End - #1465
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, I think I get it now. I just hadn't heard of that game before.

I don't necessarily hate shield throwing or people using the deaths of their allies to inspire them to greater heights. But Pyrrha had no reason to throw her shield and truthfully Ruby barely interacted with Pyrrha so I don't buy it.

But yeah, mechanics! When you've got a character famous for dying, you're gonna make an ability around that in loo of anything else to do with her.
    Come now Pyrrha can do a lot more than die! She is basically magneto, she inspires Juane to unlock his aura while alive, her fighting skills are top notch. They could have done lots of stuff.

Example: Prof Port shoots 8 bullets at once. He never does that in the series.

26. - Top - End - #1466
    Titan in the Playground

Thoughts?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

27. - Top - End - #1467

*looks at all the redesigned outfits and hair cuts*

Oh my god you're all so preciously ugly. Every single one of you looks horrible and it's amazing. Somehow Nora is the best dressed out of all of you and she's literally wearing a pride flag.

28. - Top - End - #1468

I'm not the only one who immediately thought of Godzilla, right?

Giant firebreathing lizard Grimm wandering through the ocean towards a city. Even has the right body plan and posture.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #1469
    Ogre in the Playground

They really should just change the name of the show to RWBB because there's no yellow here.

30. - Top - End - #1470
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm not the only one who immediately thought of Godzilla, right?

Giant firebreathing lizard Grimm wandering through the ocean towards a city. Even has the right body plan and posture.
    The Leviathan? Oh, its totally a Godzilla reference, but without any of the things that makes Godzilla so imposing or, at times, outright terrifying.

...To be more accurate, the leviathan was like a fire-breathing Titanosaurus.

Those outfits are a mixed bag. Blake is fine and Ruby is cute. Weiss, for the first time in seven volumes, looks bad though and I have no idea what Yang is doing.

...I don't think she knows either honestly.