New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Devil

Default Jotunheim's general scribbles

Hey guys.

Figued I'd do a general artsies thread on here to post stuff not related to the Lords of the Nine project (Which I will update on as soon as I can. Paid stuff comes first ;) )

This might get kinda longish:
    Christmas Present portrait of Ladyfriend, myself and sister-in-law in fantasy party versions
    Spoiler
    Show

Dark Priestess Lady
    Spoiler
    Show

Cover for my Band's Second Album
    Spoiler
    Show

T-shirt art for my band
    Spoiler
    Show

Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor
    Spoiler
    Show

Fire Genasi
    Spoiler
    Show

Character Doodle
    Spoiler
    Show

Primarchs Horus Lupercal and Sanguinius
    Spoiler
    Show

Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor laying down the smackethdown
    Spoiler
    Show

Tech Priestess Doodle (NSFW)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Black Templar Chaplain
    Spoiler
    Show

Inquisitorial Retinue
    Spoiler
    Show

Succubus
    Spoiler
    Show

More Inquisitorial Retinue (BG isn't finished)
    Spoiler
    Show

Just a random face sketch for the lulz.
    Spoiler
    Show

And a doodle of a D&D warlock because my portfolio needed a bit of new stuff
    Spoiler
    Show

Inspired by recent television events.
    Spoiler
    Show

I liked the warlock character, so I did a small scene with her. Might do more with this if the mood strikes me.
    Spoiler
    Show

I wanted to do a character design of satan, and figured he wouldn't be bothered with such mortal notions as clothing.
    Spoiler
    Show

Here is a noncensored version (Warning. NSFW. It has a ****):
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16287008/Satan4.jpg

This concludes the artdump. I'll post more stuff as it happens :)
    Last edited by Jotunheim; 2013-07-30 at 05:03 AM.
    I can be PMed for commissions and questions and such :) (Currently there's quite some waiting time on big jobs, as I'm pretty busy. I can still fit in small jobs though.)
    Art Thread (You should go look! It has artwork! :O)
    Lords of the Nine project

I will rise up from the chaos
    I will rise up from the grave
    A brother to the darkness
    A master to the slave

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Jotunheim's general scribbles

to be honest I wish I could color like you but that's about it--do you feel like you could or should improve your figures and perspective and depth and posing and stuff, or is this it for you? it won't be a terrible place to "end" but it'd seem like such a waste

3. - Top - End - #3

Devil

Yeah, you've said. Guess I'll just have to disagree with you on most of that, but you're certainly entitled to your opinion ;) Looking at your stuff it seems we have a different stylistic approach to artwork. I was never much of a fan of the old school animation "noodly" style of gestures.
    Last edited by Jotunheim; 2013-07-16 at 01:51 AM.
    I can be PMed for commissions and questions and such :) (Currently there's quite some waiting time on big jobs, as I'm pretty busy. I can still fit in small jobs though.)

A master to the slave

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

I like your stuff a lot, but there's one thing I notice. You seem to draw a lot of foggy, indistinct or even completely abstract backgrounds and that made me wonder. Do you paint much besides humanoids of one kind or another? Have you tried machinery, buildings, landscapes?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

5. - Top - End - #5

Devil

I have, but architecture and complicated backgrounds are A. time consuming, and B. expensive. Often the smoky background is a more affordable solution both in terms of what I have time for with my for fun pieces and what is affordable for clients.

A master to the slave

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Fair enough. I only do bad pencil sketches and I know how time consuming backgrounds are. I was just wondering, really.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

7. - Top - End - #7

Devil

Perfectly alright. I -am- more character driven in terms of what I draw than architecture driven when I get to decide what I do. Also, for character designs, I'd rather not the background detract from the focus of the piece.

A master to the slave

8. - Top - End - #8

Devil

Speaking of characters, I doodled a few familiar ones as a quick warm-up sketch earlier.

A few derpy eyes here and there, that I'd sort out if it wasn't just a doodle but eh :P

Also some quick people poses and sketches.
    Last edited by Jotunheim; 2013-07-16 at 12:21 PM.

A master to the slave

9. - Top - End - #9

Devil

Spoiler
    Show

Today's doodle-thing. Shub-Niggurath, The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young. Might give it a once over in the morning to make it finished, but it was a fun enough thing.
    Last edited by Jotunheim; 2013-07-30 at 05:04 AM.

A master to the slave

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

well, it's not really a "style" thing, I have no idea what you mean by "noodly" style of gestures--idk, I want to like your stuff because i like people putting in effort, but the poses are a bit stiff and in a lot of them and the perspective looks always a bit weird (reminds me of pre-Rennaissance art)

the first artist of note I would compare you to would be Frank Frazetta (his painted fantasy concepts, not his work as "Fritz" though I'm sure things he knew as a funny animals cartoonist helped him with his concept art), but lacking in a "flowiness" (I mean that's the biggest thing for me really)

but if you're disagreeing that those aren't things to be improved on (I guess you are?) then I guess that's it for my comments here--but if you're disagreeing that "flow" is not fundamentally necessary for a good illustration (is that what you mean by "noodly" style of gestures?), why don't you think so?

I'm sorry if you feel like this is a bit rude but idk, sometimes people hide fundamentally bad composition and forms behind the glitz of rendering and that sometimes rustles my jimmies--plus I think you have the potential to be really good and I want to have a say in that'd if it'll help usher that in
    Last edited by flyingchicken; 2013-07-18 at 05:55 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Devil

@FC: Honestly, yes, you did come across fairly rude in that first comment, and I would not advice you to employ that tone with others because what you're trying to get across criticism-wise gets lost in your tone.

That being said, certainly I'm working on improving all aspects of my artstyle, and I'm no more immune to the occasional wonky perspective than any illustrator out there. What I mean by noodly is that your sketches seems to sacrifice weight and grounding for motion and woosh.
    Some of the pieces in here are older, and, sure, in some of them I can see things that I would do differently, but that's the nature of artwork, and I'm both confident in my progression craft-wise, and in the quality of the work that I offer.

Edit: For the rest of you, turned this doodle into a slightly more finished one:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Jotunheim; 2013-07-30 at 05:04 AM.

A master to the slave

12. - Top - End - #12

Well it's perhaps not productive but I can really only say I'm very impressed. I especially like what I hope I'm not wrong in thinking are the OOTS cast sketches.

13. - Top - End - #13

Devil

Well, perhaps not so much productive, but certainly encouraging. And that's so obviously the cast of Questionable Content. What's wrong with you? ;)

A master to the slave

14. - Top - End - #14

Well it's been a while and I'm only just starting to catch up on OOTS so I still needed some refamiliarization with the characters :P
    And no problem, I just always feel guilty when I can't give anything more constructive than "good job" even though I know how important just "good job" can be...

15. - Top - End - #15

Devil

Played some mortal kombat again recently, and I got kinda nostalgic. Decided to do a minor redesign (really just a new outfit) of one of my favorite characters from the series, Sheeva.

A master to the slave

16. - Top - End - #16

Devil

Redid a good part of this painting:

The original version:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also did some more on this:
    Last edited by Jotunheim; 2013-07-28 at 08:39 PM.

A master to the slave

17. - Top - End - #17

I'd almost suggest reposting your initial painting in spoilertags down here with the repaint to make comparison easier... it took me a fair bit of looking back and forth before I started spotting the differences. Certainly like the serene commander more than the really angry one (I'm sure he has some sort of title, forgive my lack of warhammer knowledge).

And ah, I had wanted to say "you should focus more on the armour and less on the face" for the image of Sheeva, shoulda figured it was a WIP.

18. - Top - End - #18

Devil

Now I just need to find a black/death metal band who need some cover art xD

A master to the slave

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Out of curiosity, approximately how long does each one of these "scribbles" take you?

20. - Top - End - #20

Devil

That's kinda broad question, innit? :p Sometimes something will take me an hour. Sometimes it'll take me 10 days. Depends on the job. This one I just posted now is probably about 4-5 hours at this point.

That's, incidentally, is also why artwork is so "expensive". I'm still amazed when I talk to a client who don't seem to think that they should be paying me at least minimum wage for my time.

A master to the slave

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Tell me about it...

Incidentally, I second the notion that you should use some damn spoiler tags for the wide stuff up above.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

22. - Top - End - #22

Devil

Thare. Made the whole thread a good deal more readable, and spoiler-tagged all the initial art dump. No reason for people to have to scroll all the way through that each time they come in.

A master to the slave

23. - Top - End - #23

Devil

Spoiler
    Show

Baby! Because babies are creepy.
    Last edited by Jotunheim; 2013-07-30 at 04:51 PM.

A master to the slave

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jotunheim View Post
    That's, incidentally, is also why artwork is so "expensive". I'm still amazed when I talk to a client who don't seem to think that they should be paying me at least minimum wage for my time.
    By expensive, are we talking "experienced writer possessing a handle on fair rates" expensive, or "average Joe trying to fulfill his lifelong dream of writing a comic/RPG/novel/whatever, but can only spare his monthly beer budget" expensive?

Spoiler
    Show

Baby! Because babies are creepy.
    That's a baby?!

25. - Top - End - #25

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    By expensive, are we talking "experienced writer possessing a handle on fair rates" expensive, or "average Joe trying to fulfill his lifelong dream of writing a comic/RPG/novel/whatever, but can only spare his monthly beer budget" expensive?

That's a baby?!
    That is indeed a baby (in the sphere. Look closely)

And prices do vary depending on whether or not you're a private costumer or er big company that is going to make money off the work. The best idea would either be to write me a PM, telling me what you want and I can give you a quote, or you can tell me roughly what you're looking for, and what you want to be spending on it, and I can tell you what I can do for that amount :) So I guess it depends on how much beer you constume ;)

What I meant was that a lot of people seem to think that they're just paying for the product as if it was a print, but they're actually purchasing two things beyond that. 1. Some degree of rights to the finished products, varying on the agreed upon terms, and 2. the time of a skilled professional. At least I think that's what a lot of people don't seem to consider when looking to have art done :)
    Last edited by Jotunheim; 2013-07-30 at 05:57 PM.

A master to the slave

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

That is indeed a baby (in the sphere. Look closely)
    Oh. So it is. (I had thought that was something else completely.)

And prices do vary depending on whether or not you're a private costumer or er big company that is going to make money off the work. The best idea would either be to write me a PM, telling me what you want and I can give you a quote, or you can tell me roughly what you're looking for, and what you want to be spending on it, and I can tell you what I can do for that amount :) So I guess it depends on how much beer you constume ;)

What I meant was that a lot of people seem to think that they're just paying for the product as if it was a print, but they're actually purchasing two things beyond that. 1. Some degree of rights to the finished products, varying on the agreed upon terms, and 2. the time of a skilled professional. At least I think that's what a lot of people don't seem to consider when looking to have art done :)
    I'm sorry if I led you on. I was merely genuinely curious about how the freelance art business works.

Illuminating information, though.
    Last edited by Grinner; 2013-07-30 at 06:21 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

You know, You're "Scribbles" outdo my best work. Awesomeness.

You know what you need to "Scribble"? A Tyranid. Just mentioning it..
    "All things must end, and you will be among the first."
    I love Ceika <3

Quote Originally Posted by Kymme View Post
    You've got good reasoning, though the Akastarepti is never the best example.

Extended Sig

28. - Top - End - #28

Devil

Spoiler
    Show

Rough block-out for a painting-to-be.
    Last edited by Jotunheim; 2013-08-01 at 07:33 PM.

A master to the slave

29. - Top - End - #29

Devil

Doing a bit of rendering on this one now that I'm happy with where things are. This might be a long one.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Jotunheim; 2013-08-02 at 09:58 PM.

A master to the slave

30. - Top - End - #30

Devil

Went to an art hangout cafe for a few hours yesterday. Did some random scribbles in my drawing pad.

Random scribbles:
    Spoiler
    Show

Scanner was not overly kind on them, but it is too late for me to make a lot of noise doing a bunch of scannings at different settings, so it'll have to do.
    Last edited by Jotunheim; 2013-08-15 at 04:19 PM.

A master to the slave