New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Pathfinder Magus Optimization

So I'm trying to build an effective Elven Magus, but unsure what in the class of the I should be focusing on or which of the Archetypes is worth taking. The campaign is going to be fairly combat heavy. Any advice?
    Awesome Avatar by Darth Raynn.

PTA Character: Nikola Tesla Pathfinder Characters: Gilgar Nordum, Quartle, Zelgadis Greywords
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome Avatar by Szilard. Other Awesome Avatars by Darth Raynn.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Pathfinder Magus Optimization

Google "Walter's Guide to the Magus"

Excellent advice on optimization and builds. Missing the new archetypes from UC, but you can find some discussion on them in the thread that is linked to the guide

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Hi

Depends on what you want & your play style.

I've seen Str based and Finesse based.

There's a feat called Dervish Dance, from Qadira book. Use scimitar, need 2 ranks perform (dance), and be NG follower of Sarenrae. It allows you to use Dex instead of Str with the scimitar. Since you need to use your wpn in one hand, that melds well with Magus.

Alternatively...

Last weekend I used a Dwarf Magus 3 in a really difficult combat-heavy scenario in PFS. I outlasted the NPC fighter, using Wandstrike with my wand of Truestrike and +1 Bastard Sword in main hand. +23 to hit in Tier 3-4 game! :P

Thanks
    Paul H
    Edit: Though if you just want Melee & Spells, check oout Synthesist .
    Last edited by Paul H; 2011-08-23 at 06:01 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

I'm currently on my phone, but give me a half-hour and I'll grab my computer and post up a list of things all aspiring Magi should know.

EDIT: Crap, can't find the post. Ah, well, here's my list of exploits, sans links.

Grab Weapon Finesse + Dervish Dance. You now use Dex to hit and damage.

Grab Spell Perfection (Feat) and Magical Lineage (Trait), both on Shocking Grasp. Get the Intensified spell metamagic and apply it to Shocking Grasp. Intensify only increases spell level by 1, which is negated by Spell Perfection. Magical Lineage, on the other hand, straight drops the spell level by 1. You now have Intensified Shocking Grasp as a 0-level spell, which means you can use it an infinite number of times.

At 5th level, grab the Experimental Spellcaster feat (found in the Words of Power section of the SRD) and pick Accelerate as your Effect word chosen. Grab Persistant metamagic, and apply it to Accelerate. You now have a permanent extra move action, allowing you to move and full attack.

Enjoy.
    Last edited by Curious; 2011-08-23 at 08:32 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Daemon

Bumping so this isn't missed, assuming OP is still around.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Thanks for all the suggestions folks, I'll have to see if my DM will let that little trick fly Curious.

PTA Character: Nikola Tesla Pathfinder Characters: Gilgar Nordum, Quartle, Zelgadis Greywords
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7

DruidGuy

Hi

As I posted, Dervish Dance is in Qadira handbook.

Prereq's: NG Follower of Sarenrae, Wpn Finesse, 2 ranks Perform (Dance), be proficient with Scimitar appropriate for your size.

Note: Only works with Scimitars

Thanks
    Paul H
    Edit: And NO - you can't have Shocking Grasp as 0 level spell, EVER!
    Last edited by Paul H; 2011-08-24 at 06:39 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curious View Post
    At 5th level, grab the Experimental Spellcaster feat (found in the Words of Power section of the SRD) and pick Accelerate as your Effect word chosen. Grab Persistant metamagic, and apply it to Accelerate. You now have a permanent extra move action, allowing you to move and full attack.
    PF's Persistent metamagic is completely different from 3.5 - it forces the spell's targets to make two saving throws.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Hi

As I posted, Dervish Dance is in Qadira handbook.

Prereq's: NG Follower of Sarenrae, Wpn Finesse, 2 ranks Perform (Dance), be proficient with Scimitar appropriate for your size.

Note: Only works with Scimitars

Thanks
    Paul H
    Edit: And NO - you can't have Shocking Grasp as 0 level spell, EVER!
    Actually the OGC version of the feat handwaves the AL and Religion requirements :)
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

So I decided on the Dex build, and the elf being from a sword dancing family. And the shocking grasp as a level zero didn't fly with my DM, which is what I expected. Besides he pointed out it wouldn't be usable till level 15. But please keep coming up with advice. I'm sure others would benefit from. And thanks.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

When you don't have anything else to take, extra spell pool never hurts.

See if your DM will allow a favored class bonus of 1/2 spell pool point/level. If one feat =one evolution point for a summoner and 1 level = 1/4 evo point, and 1 feat = 2 spell pool, then I think its reasonable. I'm sure this would exist if there were ANY magus favored class alternatives.

12. - Top - End - #12

DruidGuy

Hi

I chose the Wandstrike for my Magus Arcana thingy at 3rd lvl.

Definitely useful last weekend. As I said earlier, wands of Truestrike are awesome.

Don't forget to get a Cold Iron weapon. Your Arcane Pool makes it magical, saving you the 4,000GP cost of upgrading.

Silversheen weapons (Qadira) cost extra 750gp, but are immune to both rust & acid, and count as silver vs DR, (but with no -1 damage penalty). They're also Masterwork items.

As for Archetypes, avoid Hexcrafter like a plague, and then some. Nice abilities, but you lose Spell Recall. (Ability use Spell Pool to recall spells cast as swift action).

Lastly, if your GM allows Traits, take these:
    1) Heirloom Wpn (Use +1 to confirm Crit option)
    2) Magic is Life (Nethys, Religion). Auto stabilise at negative HP if you're under affect of a spell. ANY spell!

Thanks
    Paul H

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Magic lineage is better after level 6. You can intensify your shocking grasps with no level increase. Then recall them for only 1 SP if you run out.

Also, hexcrafter is better than spellblade. Trading recall for hexes is not optimal, but can be interesting (slumber anyone?). It somewhat balances out, the effectively lost spell slots from losing recall replaced by unlimited use hexes (just can't use them on the same target repeatedly).

Losing spell strike for a crappy force weapon that doesn't interfere with casting is a sucker's trade. There may be a reason to use it, but I can't figure it out. You burn SP/spell slots....for a dagger. A dagger for ONE minute. Spellstrike is the core of the class, as far as I see. Losing channeling spells for a chance to burn resources on an off-hand weapon? Really?
    Last edited by stack; 2011-08-24 at 01:43 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

DruidGuy

Hi

I did look at the Hexblade for the Healing Hex, but losing the extra spell slots from Spell Recall put me right off.

Thanks
    Paul H

15. - Top - End - #15

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    PF's Persistent metamagic is completely different from 3.5 - it forces the spell's targets to make two saving throws.
    I was assuming the ability to plunder a certain amount of 3.5 splat books, as this is always the case in my games.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Make sure Arcane Mark is one of your cantrips and you can Zorro your enemies to death

17. - Top - End - #17

DruidGuy

Hi

Actually there is a mini for that build. IIRC

D&D minis, some blonde haired elf/half elf with green cloak & a rapier.

Thanks
    Paul H

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by klemdakherzbag View Post
    Make sure Arcane Mark is one of your cantrips and you can Zorro your enemies to death
    Could someone explain this, please? I've looked, but I cannot piece together how a Mark can do that.
    Avatar of Vlad Taltos and Loiosh by Bradakhan

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Arcane mark is range: tough, so a magus can use spellstrike to channel it through a melee attack.

20. - Top - End - #20

It is a sin that Touch of Fatigue isn't on the Magus spell list...
    Well, if you plan on getting Close Range, that isn't an issue. Just poke acid into people. Though arcane mark leads to interesting uses.

It's technically legal, and I don't see any problem in allowing it, but some DMs may think it cheesy.

21. - Top - End - #21

Likewise you can make enemies' clothing and equipment light like an xmas tree (object touched, unless your enemy is naked, you're touching a lot of objects to get to their fleshy parts).

Sounds kinda pointless, but can be useful against light sensitive enemies, to track down if/when they try to escape and also for Invisibility users, since it's specifically stated that Invisibility doesn't conceal the light, only its source.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    Arcane mark is range: tough, so a magus can use spellstrike to channel it through a melee attack.
    So it doesn't do anything to increase attack rate/accuracy/damage, just a way to mock the opponent?
    Avatar of Vlad Taltos and Loiosh by Bradakhan

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Yup. Act like Zorro, but leave a magic mark instead of just a cut. Purely for style points (and provoking AOO's for casting is you don't cast defensively).

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    Yup. Act like Zorro, but leave a magic mark instead of just a cut. Purely for style points (and provoking AOO's for casting is you don't cast defensively).
    That's spellstrike. Spell Combat is how you use the cantrip to gain an extra attack. Spell Combat explicitly gives you an extra attack if you want to combine a touch spell with spellstrike during SC.

25. - Top - End - #25

DruidGuy

Hi

Actually, there is a Fatiguing spell. It's called Frostbite, a lvl 1 Magus spell, that does D6 nonlethal Cold damage +1/CL. Target is fatigued until the non-lethal damage is negated. (Save: None. SR : Yes)

School transmutation [cold]; Level druid 1, magus 1, witch 1
    Casting Time 1 standard action
    Components V, S
    Range touch
    Targets creature touched
    Duration instantaneous
    Saving Throw none; Spell Resistance yes
    Your melee touch attack deals 1d6 points of nonlethal cold
    damage + 1 point per level, and the target is fatigued. The
    fatigued condition ends when the target recovers from
    the nonlethal damage. This spell cannot make a creature
    exhausted even if it is already fatigued. You can use this melee
    touch attack up to one time per level.

Thanks
    Paul H

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Hi

Actually, there is a Fatiguing spell. It's called Frostbite, a lvl 1 Magus spell...
    Oh, I know. I was complaining about Touch of Fatigue because it is level 0, meaning you would be able to always add it to your attack routine as a Magus.

Well, They can learn it at level 19 D:

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Andreaz View Post
    That's spellstrike. Spell Combat is how you use the cantrip to gain an extra attack. Spell Combat explicitly gives you an extra attack if you want to combine a touch spell with spellstrike during SC.
    Yea but it isn't a big deal. Think about it, with that spell it is essentially level 1 flurry with the penalty.

28. - Top - End - #28

DruidGuy

Hi

Thing about Frostbite is it's level based. You get one attack per Caster Level. I got it at 4th level, so I can make four attacks with it through my weapon (bastard sword).

And D6+4 (non lethal) cold damage per hit, plus the auto fatigue isn't really so bad.

Think I prefer this over Chill Touch!

Remember that Touch of Fatigue allows a Fort save, and only lasts 1 rnd/lvl. Frostbite has no save (good vs fighter types), and lasts until the Non Lethal damage is healed. :P

Thanks
    Paul H
    PS There's no level cap on Frostbite either. (Prob getting errata'd), so currently could be D6+20 Non lethal, auto fatigue with 20 attacks?!
    Last edited by Paul H; 2011-08-27 at 07:08 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

I think there is a misunderstanding of how spell combat and spellstrike interact.

First, using them together only allows you to make a full attack (-2 penalty) while channeling a spell through one of the attacks. I don't think extra attacks are granted, though it could be more clear.

I believe it was clarified in a faq that you don't get to make all the additional attacks from spells like frostbite in one turn either. Can't find the reference now. Besides, do you expect 20 attacks/round to fly with RAI? Not gonna happen.
    Last edited by stack; 2011-08-27 at 10:07 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

With spell strike u replace the free touch attack that u get with your touch spell with a weapon strike... Thus granting u an extra attack every round

Also a whip is an interesting weapon for a magus build... Thoughts