New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Can you stack Frenzy with Battle Fury and Rage?

Hello everyone, I was reading through the Deities and Demigods book when I came across the Beserk class in the asgardian pantheon. I was pretty excited because I love Frenzy Beserker but I like having more control over the rage. So as I was reading through I thought to myself. "Can Battle Fury stack with Rage? And if so does that mean both can stack with Frenzy".

I'm not 100% sure, and I was thinking of an awesome Viking build which would involve much Norse Mythology references. So hope I could get some help with this :P. I don't think it does stack, considering they are two seperate rage like abilities. But if it does that would be entirely awesome :D, if it could because I'd love to try out a barbarian/beserk/frenzied beserker in the next game I can play in.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Can you stack Frenzy with Battle Fury and Rage?

They stack. They're three different abilities, although very similar mechanically. And IIRC they all give unnamed bonuses.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

The Will save bonus on Rage is a morale bonus though, so watch out for that.

You cannot stack Whirling Frenzy and Rage, though, because the Whirling Frenzy ACF doesn't grant you a separate rage. Rather, it says that "A barbarian with this variant form of rage doesn't gain the normal bonuses when he enters a rage. Instead, when a barbarian with whirling frenzy enters a rage, he temporarily gains..."

So it doesn't matter if you got the rage from somewhere else, if you're a) a barbarian, and b) entering a rage, you get Whirling Frenzy instead.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2012-11-03 at 12:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Sweet that's awesome thanks everyone :D.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

This is clear-cut RAW (for once). The barbarian's rage, the frenzied berserker's frenzy, and the berserk's battle fury all stack just fine. You're a walking tpk waiting to happen at that point, but they do net you a crap-ton of strength. Check the will save bonus' type though. I don't recall if they're all morale bonuses or just the one from rage.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Bwahahaha! Just imagine that character! Using one rage ability hinders cognitive function, but stacking?! He would be like... I don't know a good reference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    You're a walking tpk waiting to happen at that point...
    2nd this ^ That character would be the most destructive MF in the playground. What I wouldn't give to play in that campaign Watching from a safe distance, of course.
    ‘Meaningless! Meaningless!’ says the Teacher. ‘Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless.’ What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Oops, forgot to mention; there's a little rules hiccup in that plan. All three abilities cause the fatigued condition when they end. Two fatigued conditions stack to make exhausted, but what happens when that third one hits?

As a DM I'd just house-rule it as the character blacks out, but I don't know what the RAW of the matter is, if there is any.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Play a Dwarf and take the Tireless feat.

http://dndtools.eu/feats/players-gui...ireless--2925/

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Be a Shifter from MMIII/Eberron just for a minor +2 temporary stat boost.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Two fatigued conditions stack to make exhausted, but what happens when that third one hits?
    You are still exhausted.

As a DM I'd just house-rule it as the character blacks out
    You'd be making up rules and screwing your players.

Frenzy, Battle Fury, and Rage all stack. They are simultaneously dangerous to their party members.

Once had my party fight against a Barb/Frenzied Berserker tripper. He was quite effective, being as strong as he was.

For me the most interesting part of Berserk is the totem animal hybrid form. They have a very embracing-the-wild type society in my Viking game. (Most of them are also Fists of the Forest).

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Oops, forgot to mention; there's a little rules hiccup in that plan. All three abilities cause the fatigued condition when they end. Two fatigued conditions stack to make exhausted, but what happens when that third one hits?
    Alternatively, you could just also get Armor of the Undying Hunt from Complete Warrior. You are unable to become fatigued or exhausted.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ksbsnowowl View Post
    You are still exhausted.

Completely agreed with this. It's not like the combination is some hideously high-power game-break.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

RogueGuy

There is an exalted feat that lets you control your rage enough to deal non-lethal damage if you choose. Take that so you just knock your allies unconscious rather than TPK.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fouredged Sword View Post
    There is an exalted feat that lets you control your rage enough to deal non-lethal damage if you choose. Take that so you just knock your allies unconscious rather than TPK.
    Righteous Wrath, IIRC. It actually allows you to maintain distinction between enemies and allies, so you won't even attack them, even if they are the only "foes" around.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ksbsnowowl View Post
    You are still exhausted.

Frenzy, Battle Fury, and Rage all stack. They are simultaneously dangerous to their party members.

Once had my party fight against a Barb/Frenzied Berserker tripper. He was quite effective, being as strong as he was.

For me the most interesting part of Berserk is the totem animal hybrid form. They have a very embracing-the-wild type society in my Viking game. (Most of them are also Fists of the Forest).
    I said myself that it would be a houserule. As for screwing the player, if the enemy has somehow survived his triple-strength blood-rage, I've already made a misestimate of the enemy and he's screwed anyway. Nevermind that several people have already pointed out ways to make it a non-issue anyway.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

I figured out you could just play a Warforged, and literally never be exhausted without spending feats and also with the correct feat selection you could in theory. Become pretty much similar to The Fallen(Megatronous Prime), or Megatron from the Transformers mythos.

I have already made the build, with me turning into a hybrid whale and tested it and it is quite devastating. Of course I'd like to try all this on a full Orc XD. Could be fun.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

For more stacking fun, you can pick up rage from the druid ACF or Half-orc paragon, and trade standard rage away for ferocity from cityscape or berserker strength from PHB 2, and definitely go bear warrior.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggs View Post
    I thought we were arguing whether Magic Missile could crank out Riemann sums...

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malphite View Post
    Hello everyone, I was reading through the Deities and Demigods book when I came across the Beserk class in the asgardian pantheon. I was pretty excited because I love Frenzy Beserker but I like having more control over the rage. So as I was reading through I thought to myself. "Can Battle Fury stack with Rage? And if so does that mean both can stack with Frenzy".

I'm not 100% sure, and I was thinking of an awesome Viking build which would involve much Norse Mythology references. So hope I could get some help with this :P. I don't think it does stack, considering they are two seperate rage like abilities. But if it does that would be entirely awesome :D, if it could because I'd love to try out a barbarian/beserk/frenzied beserker in the next game I can play in.

I actually created this character like 22 years ago... there was some argument with the dm on whether all the different kinds of rages attack. It was finally decided that they do ( as others have said here). The character was an absolute monster... he posed the dm off so much that he started adding creatures to the campaign specifically to attack my character (all to no avail) at the end of the campaign he originally was going to have a dragon attack the party... he decided to make it two dragons and send one after my character and the other after the rest of the party. My character ended up killing his dragon with enough time to go help the rest of the party kill their dragon... and then I killed all of the party accept 1 because I could make the will save to end the frenzy ( a common occurrence throughout the campaign.... it was extremely fun to play but pissed a lot of people off

19. - Top - End - #19
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Metamahic Mod: Thread Necromancy
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)