New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Pieces of Eights - D&D Pirates

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    I was referring to the Shamalan (?) movie "Devil", where toast falling jelly-side down is a sure sign that the devil is near; more to the point, I was quoting devil summoning as as a result of the toast thing, rather than a separate thing you could use probability control to do.
    But toast always falls jelly side down. It's a physics thing.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    But toast always falls jelly side down. It's a physics thing.
    BUT THAT MEANS THE DEVIL IS ALWAYS EVERYWHERE!

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #93
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    BUT THAT MEANS THE DEVIL IS ALWAYS EVERYWHERE!
    LOUD NOISES!

But back to the comic, yeah, this is clearly the downward spiral of Morgan. I mean, she basically IS a downward spiral but now she's about to break through her own bottom. I still have hopes that she's only a Chaotic Neutral character and that she doesn't fall into pure evil.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pht3v3n View Post
    LOUD NOISES!

But back to the comic, yeah, this is clearly the downward spiral of Morgan. I mean, she basically IS a downward spiral but now she's about to break through her own bottom. I still have hopes that she's only a Chaotic Neutral character and that she doesn't fall into pure evil.
    Downward spiral? That's pretty much the way Mary-Anne has always acted. The book only gives her more options and makes this kind of stunt a bit less risky.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Morgan just went full "assassin's creed black flag"!
    She definitely has a way with naval combat!

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm trying to remember, what was Mary-Anne's problem with the Noridish again? Starting a war to get revenge on them, attacking the Aegir's revenge on her own... I think it had something to do with her father.

Anyway, her use of her mindflayer-upgrades is pretty impressive. Are we going to see the hydra-augmentation as well? The regeneration, not the additional heads/limbs.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Wait, Grynn can burn stuff with her hair? Oh, right the first Chrysalis-ritual made her part magma-golem.
    I'm just not sure Morgan will be very happy about this, I think she wanted those ships. Not that she will be very unhappy either, after all explosions are fun.

Speaking of Morgan, That regeneration is impressive. I just wonder how any limbs she will have at the end of the battle.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wait, Grynn can burn stuff with her hair? Oh, right the first Chrysalis-ritual made her part magma-golem.
    I'm just not sure Morgan will be very happy about this, I think she wanted those ships. Not that she will be very unhappy either, after all explosions are fun.

Speaking of Morgan, That regeneration is impressive. I just wonder how any limbs she will have at the end of the battle.
    Wasn't there a joke a while back when she got spliced with that hydra that she would grow back two of something if they lost?
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkmoar View Post
    Wasn't there a joke a while back when she got spliced with that hydra that she would grow back two of something if they lost?
    When the new splices were explained, Morgan said if she would loose a limb (head included) she could regrow up to two replacements. Not really a joke more a statement about her new abilities.
    I'm just not sure how much control the good Mary-Ann will have about the process. The wording implies that she can choose if she gets one or two new limbs but I wouldn't be surprised if she can't.

Aunt Edith says: New comic.

Autumn is great. Very, very, very scary but great. I keep expecting a inevitable betrayal from her but until it happens she makes a good friend for Grynn and Aly and a very useful crew member.

Any ideas what word she means? I think it is either "Charge" or "Mommy" or something similar.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2015-08-21 at 09:22 AM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comics.

The battle is over, our protagonists have won. For now the Blackpowder Kraken has a fleet under her command. Let's see how long that lasts.

Today we learn why the ability to regrow limbs is awesome. And that regrown limbs still have old scars.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2015-08-26 at 08:31 AM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New Comic.

Well, it seems Raina has made her choice. And it seems she made the right choice instead o the right choice.
    Not that I ever expected this to have a happy end, but it is still a shame.

But I'm surprised it took her this long to realize that Mary-Ann can't find peace as long as both she and Low are still alive.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2015-08-31 at 06:49 AM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

New Comic.

Well, it seems Raina has made her choice. And it seems she made the right choice instead o the right choice.
    Not that I ever expected this to have a happy end, but it is still a shame.

But I'm surprised it took her this long to realize that Mary-Ann can't find peace as long as both she and Low are still alive.
    A guy named Jordan Hiller summed it up pretty spot on, on the comic page comments.
    "Poor Raina... It's too bad that she fell in love with someone who's utterly incapable of loving her the same way that she feels about her. Morgan's got too many grudges that she simply won't forget or allow to pass for it to end in anything but blood and tears. Even if she gets her revenge on everyone who she feels has wronged her and gains all the riches and fame she desires, she will always find new enemies and new things to steal. She's at war with society itself and is getting dangerously close to chaotic evil."

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I think Morgan’s grudges are like her scars. No matter how much she heals, how often her body regenerates her scars remain - even if she regrows entire limbs.

In the same way her grudges will always return no matter how much she loves Raina, how good friends she is with Grynn or Thatch or Aly, no matter how peaceful her life might become, nothing can heal the scars on her soul. Even if Mary-Ann were willing to retire with Raina to a life of peace and prosperity she literally can’t. The slightest reminder of her enemies would reignite the thirst for vengeance.

I don't even think Morgan wants to watch the world burn, or even spend her life with her revenge, but unless there is a way to heal those wounds she cannot stop or change her path.

Stopping her certainly is the right choice for the world.
    I just don't think it is the right choice for Raina. If she sacrifices Morgan for the good of the world she will regret it.

I still hope - and will do so until the end - that Raina will do the right thing.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Barbarian in the Playground

A guy named Jordan Hiller summed it up pretty spot on, on the comic page comments.
    "Poor Raina... It's too bad that she fell in love with someone who's utterly incapable of loving her the same way that she feels about her. Morgan's got too many grudges that she simply won't forget or allow to pass for it to end in anything but blood and tears. Even if she gets her revenge on everyone who she feels has wronged her and gains all the riches and fame she desires, she will always find new enemies and new things to steal. She's at war with society itself and is getting dangerously close to chaotic evil."
    Dangerously close? She's been CE for almost her whole life....
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Mormegil View Post
    Dangerously close? She's been CE for almost her whole life....
    I'm pretty sure Mary-Ann is (supposed to be) chaotic neutral. She just started slipping since the start of the adventure.

She went from stealing peoples pants during her pirating over blowing up a Palace to using fate-Magic to cause an incident that could start a war.

If Morgan qualifies as evil she is still in swallow waters. At least compared to Low, Autumn or Grynn to take some examples from the comic. Or Xykon, Redcloak and Belkar to take some examples from the Order of the Stick.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm pretty sure Mary-Ann is (supposed to be) chaotic neutral. She just started slipping since the start of the adventure.

She went from stealing peoples pants during her pirating over blowing up a Palace to using fate-Magic to cause an incident that could start a war.

If Morgan qualifies as evil she is still in swallow waters. At least compared to Low, Autumn or Grynn to take some examples from the comic. Or Xykon, Redcloak and Belkar to take some examples from the Order of the Stick.
    She spent most of her life serving Low doing the most despicable stuff. Her rite of initiation had her kill another man to take his place. She did so voluntarily and was pretty happy about it.
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

She spent most of her life serving Low doing the most despicable stuff. Her rite of initiation had her kill another man to take his place. She did so voluntarily and was pretty happy about it.
    I'm not sure if I would call that evil. It was certainly not a good act, but Low would have killed him anyway and it was a Chance for Mary-Ann to improve her life.
    The whole reason she clashed with Low that much that it escalalated to this point is that she was a CHAOTIC neutral (maybe with evil tendencys) person under a LAWFUL Evil captain.

True, the main conflict was Law/Chaos, but Low saw Morgan as too kind. And the breaking point was her saving him, with Looks good to me.

I don't really count the things Low made her do against her because she lacked the freedom to do something else.

Anyway, new comic.

I have a really bad feeling regarding Maynard. How was the prophecy about the mystic? He will betray the others for his goals? Well, the fact that he thinks it is better Aly is out during whatever he will do implies nothing good for our adventurers.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

She's always been a 'dark grey', at best. But she did have rather huge moments of compassion like saving Aly, and even (relatively) recently, sparing the slaver leader. However after her confrontation with Roberts, I think she's gone off the deep end and gone full black hat. Now it's all about her and her 'vengeance'. The wants and concerns of others no longer really matters to her.

I'm not sure if I would call that evil. It was certainly not a good act, but Low would have killed him anyway and it was a Chance for Mary-Ann to improve her life.
    The whole reason she clashed with Low that much that it escalalated to this point is that she was a CHAOTIC neutral (maybe with evil tendencys) person under a LAWFUL Evil captain.

True, the main conflict was Law/Chaos, but Low saw Morgan as too kind. And the breaking point was her saving him, with Looks good to me.

I don't really count the things Low made her do against her because she lacked the freedom to do something else.

Anyway, new comic.

I have a really bad feeling regarding Maynard. How was the prophecy about the mystic? He will betray the others for his goals? Well, the fact that he thinks it is better Aly is out during whatever he will do implies nothing good for our adventurers.
    No, the Mystic was changing sides and thus breaking all bonds with those she was with before. Maynard I think is the Architect who 'becomes a god' or something like that. I think Aly, or Rainia might be the Mystic.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Considering what Roberts had done to her I wouldn't call Morgan leaving the slaver alive kind. It was mercy, but a very cruel kind of mercy. Telling someone whom you ruined a leg that they can live and do what they want - they only have to walk out of the room certainly doesn't come close being to kindness.
    Or good for that matter.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Considering what Roberts had done to her I wouldn't call Morgan leaving the slaver alive kind. It was mercy, but a very cruel kind of mercy. Telling someone whom you ruined a leg that they can live and do what they want - they only have to walk out of the room certainly doesn't come close being to kindness.
    Or good for that matter.
    Yeah, but that girl was still a slaver, and in the grand scheme of things, hurting a person like that is probably still in the vigilante scale of good. Or at least neutral.
    But I think this grey is what the comic is all about. Morgan is actually quite good and loving to her crew (minus that little fight with Roberts but that was kinda forced on her). She honestly CARES about them and wants the best for them. Even with Roberts, she didn't want to hurt him and made sure he got home to see his family again. The people she goes out of her way to hurt are the rich, the law and captain Low. That and people that attack her first/piss her off. Again, she doesn't do NICE things to them, but they are enemies in her mind. And the neutral towns people...well she TRIES to avoid hurting them but again, her hand is forced! (I'm now seeing a pattern.) Her fault is that she is cares about herself, her revenge, and goals above a lot of things everything. Being selfish isn't evil, though I agree, she is getting close.

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    However after her confrontation with Roberts, I think she's gone off the deep end and gone full black hat. Now it's all about her and her 'vengeance'. The wants and concerns of others no longer really matters to her.
    Again, I don't think that's EVIL. I mean, she's kinda wanted to kill Low/ and avenge herself/her parents for years. This chapter IS titled "Please Don't Me Be Misunderstood". I think it nails this Law vs Chaos, Good vs Evil dilemma on the head.
    Last edited by Pht3v3n; 2015-09-04 at 09:31 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Or good for that matter.
    Kind? Maybe not. But any form of justice in the setting would have seen the slaver executed. Giving someone a chance to live is much better, particularly in a universe with magical healing (Low thought his career was over when he lost his leg. Then he became a blood mage and went on to new depths.)

So is it good? Well most would say that showing mercy to someone who doesn't deserve it, and who you have a personal grievance with is a good act.

Again, I don't think that's EVIL. I mean, she's kinda wanted to kill Low/ and avenge herself/her parents for years. This chapter IS titled "Please Don't Me Be Misunderstood". I think it nails this Law vs Chaos, Good vs Evil dilemma on the head.
    Er, you realize that title name is a reference to the Devil right? (Or rather to the Rolling Stone's song; Sympathy for the Devil)

And I'd say vengeance without regard to the consequences is evil. I mean she started a war in order to get vengeance on a few select people. Thousands of others are going to suffer so she can have 'revenge'.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Kind? Maybe not. But any form of justice in the setting would have seen the slaver executed. Giving someone a chance to live is much better, particularly in a universe with magical healing (Low thought his career was over when he lost his leg. Then he became a blood mage and went on to new depths.)

So is it good? Well most would say that showing mercy to someone who doesn't deserve it, and who you have a personal grievance with is a good act.

Er, you realize that title name is a reference to the Devil right? (Or rather to the Rolling Stone's song; Sympathy for the Devil)

And I'd say vengeance without regard to the consequences is evil. I mean she started a war in order to get vengeance on a few select people. Thousands of others are going to suffer so she can have 'revenge'.
    To me the scene with the slaver was clearly non-good. I wouldn't really call telling someone who just got her leg ruined that she gets to life, she only has to walk away mercy. Especially since they left her in her gang’s hideout without anyone to help her.
    Also, is slavery illegal in the setting? I got the impression that the Magistra was part of the high society and not very secretive about her business.
    And I’m not sure the magical healing in this universe is high grade and/or available enough that a former slavetrader who just lost her patron, her gang and most other resources can afford it. I mean even Low who could pay/force someone to fix him has still a peg-leg, hasn't he?

Regarding the title being a reference to the devil: A fitting comparison for Mary-Ann Morgan’s path isn't it?

Why doesn't Maynard's move surprise me? He was never happy that he had to work with someone as chaotic as Morgan.

And there I was hoping for a big fight between Mary-Ann and Low.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2015-09-07 at 08:29 AM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic.

Morgan's death will bring peace? Really? What about Low? I wouldn't call that guy peaceful. On the other hand that guy is lawful - he plunders, murders and sells people into slavery but he does it orderly, with rules and doesn't spread chaos with his actions.

And does Maynard really think that beheading Morgan will work? He was there when she got her hydra-upgrade, wasn't he? Either there is something special to the method of the beheading or he is making a mistake.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic.

Oh well, the beheading was just to keep Morgan under control.

Maynard uses Lows first name? They know each other this well? Okay... Now I really hope something horrible happens to him.

If Maynards peace and order mean that someone like Low is allowed to stay free because he pays lipservice to the rules and happens to be lawful then chaos and conflict are the better choice.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

New comic.

Oh well, the beheading was just to keep Morgan under control.

Maynard uses Lows first name? They know each other this well? Okay... Now I really hope something horrible happens to him.

If Maynards peace and order mean that someone like Low is allowed to stay free because he pays lipservice to the rules and happens to be lawful then chaos and conflict are the better choice.

I think it's going to come down to a turn of heart by Aly. I think she's the only wild card left in play. Rainia seems to have made her choice (and the wrong one IMO).
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I think it's going to come down to a turn of heart by Aly. I think she's the only wild card left in play. Rainia seems to have made her choice (and the wrong one IMO).
    True, Aly might decide to help Morgan instead of Maynard. Especially after he knocked her out to do whatever he is doing right now.
    But I think that her religion might be a large factor as well. I don't think Maynard would play along if she tries something like returning her goddess to her former glory.

Raina... yes, she clearly made the wrong of the two „right choices”.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

True, Aly might decide to help Morgan instead of Maynard. Especially after he knocked her out to do whatever he is doing right now.
    But I think that her religion might be a large factor as well. I don't think Maynard would play along if she tries something like returning her goddess to her former glory.

Raina... yes, she clearly made the wrong of the two „right choices”.
    That's why I think Aly might go against Maynard. When (if) she learns that Maynard knew that what he was asking from her would make her lose her connection to her goddess, I think that might be enough to push her into Morgan's camp.

Raina fell into the trap of binary thinking. She thought she had those two choices, but she could have simply deserted Morgan and sought out a new life on the seas rather then going back to become a princess.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That's why I think Aly might go against Maynard. When (if) she learns that Maynard knew that what he was asking from her would make her lose her connection to her goddess, I think that might be enough to push her into Morgan's camp.

Raina fell into the trap of binary thinking. She thought she had those two choices, but she could have simply deserted Morgan and sought out a new life on the seas rather then going back to become a princess.
    Raina made the mistake to listen to that "two possible futures"-guy. If you are told that you have two options it can be hard to see a third.

Aly most likely will turn against Maynard in the end, but I'm not certain she will aid Morgan. She still is the best candidate for the Mystic with might mean she will form her own side in this conflict.

I wonder what will happen with Morgan now (yes, yes she will be standing on the gallows soon). The lady that wants to talk with her seems familar. Anyway, I think the scene from the beginning won't be Mary-Ann's end.

Now I know why the lady seemed that familar. I wonder what Raina is planning. It seems unlikely that she would use a disguise to get into Morgan's cell if she only wanted to say goodbye or something like that.

Is it possible that she made the right "right choice" after all? Let's hope so.

And it seems that Mary-Ann has recovered pretty from loosing her head.

Dropping the disguise might have been a bad idea if the guards are watching. Unless they use some kind of non-visual scrying.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2015-09-16 at 05:40 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Bugbear in the Playground

I find it oddly funny that the Chaotic Neutral is moralizing. Though Morgan seems a little too optimistic about her 'plan' actually working for the long haul.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkmoar View Post
    I find it oddly funny that the Chaotic Neutral is moralizing. Though Morgan seems a little too optimistic about her 'plan' actually working for the long haul.
    Even funnier because she has a point. The status quo is just as bad as the result of her "plan" might have been. The only difference would have been that there would be more freedom.
    How this freedom would have been used isn't in Morgan's hand.

But I doubt that Morgan's story is already over. She is still alive and I think there are parts of the Book of Fate prophecy that haven't unfolded yet.