New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default The Calligrapher(Base Class)[Anime Project]

Calligrapher
    While many artists walk the path of life perfecting their craft, there are always those that seek to bring their art to the pinnacle of achievement, and these few know that only through the power’s of the gods and inner perfection can art shine through the veil of reality. Through inner peace and fervent prayer, a calligrapher brings his art into life for all to see.
    Adventurers: Calligrapher’s adventure for many reasons. Some search for the single pigment that can make their masterpiece truly perfect. Others go out into the world to bring life into their art. But as varied as their reasons, several things make calligraphers identical to their brothers and sisters. Calligrapher’s champion the arts where ever they roam and often times offer free lessons to the poor or under privileged.
    Characteristics: Most calligraphers hear the calling of the great divine art in their youth, drawing and painting even if it is merely with chalk and a rock wall. Other’s take up the brush at the behest of their god or in the face of the natural beauty of the world around them and if one were to ask such a man or woman, they would tell you that the brush chose them, not they who chose the brush.
    Alignment: Calligraphers range from good to neutral, and are just as often chaotic as they are lawful. Lawful good Calligraphers are rare, while Lawful neutral calligraphers are almost non-existent. Calligraphers can not be of anyl alignment, with good and neutral calligraphers being ardent champions of art while evil calligraphers are bitter and selfish creatures, using their twisted beauty to cause pain and suffering on those around him.
    Religion: Religion is important to the Calligrapher’s due to their dependence of divine power for their abilities. While the particular worship of a single deity is not important as the general worship of the gods, most calligraphers worship gods that support creation, the arts, and learning.
    Background: Calligraphers are a sorted lot, some coming from the rich upper echelon’s of society, training their brush work for years and honing their talents, while others come from primitive lands using only the beauty of nature to power their creative abilities.
    Often times young Calligraphers, through their brush work, make contact with outsiders and divine beings, learning their first brush stroke that will shake the world around them. After their first encounter with such beings the seeds of power have been to deeply planted to be removed, and the next step is as predictable as the sun rise.
    Races: Calligraphers can be of any race, though they tend towards educated races such as elves, human’s, and half elves. Dwarves and Halfling’s are sometimes drawn to the path of the calligraphers due to its creative nature. Though due to the nature of the calligrapher, any race, even monstrous ones, can be drawn to their path should their hearts, souls, and minds be drawn to it.
    Other Class's: The Calligrapher appreciates the wizard and sorcerer’s ability to bring their dream’s into reality through studying and force of will. He sees the need for fighter’s and paladins though he often times looks down on them as being coarse and ignorant of the beauty of the world around him. Druids, cleric’s and rangers rise the curiosity of calligraphers for their connection to the divine and to nature, though they are seen much the same way as fighters and paladins for their lack of understanding of the arts. If a single class gained the true respect of the Calligrapher it would be the monk, who’s dedication to her body reminds the calligrapher of his own dedication to his art and soul.
    Role: Calligrapher’s serve much the same role as a druid and sorcerer, blasting foes with their divine brush techniques while supporting other’s with buff’s and limited healing. Like a bard or warlock he often times fits in best with a party that already has both a healer and arcane caster, since his power’s only cover these bases minimally.

GAME RULE INFORMATION
    Calligraphers have the following game statistics
    Abilities: A high Charisma score makes a calligrapher’s brush techniques harder to resist. A high Dexterity is very useful for the calligrapher who’s inability to wear most armor’s limit their combat abilities, while also allowing him to better aim his powerful divine slash while a good constitution is also useful.
    Alignnment: Any
    Hit Dice: d6

{table]Level|B.A.B|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Words Known|Inkpoints
    1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Draw Wounds1d6, Steady is the Hand that Draws, Word (Substance)|1|5
    2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Create Minor Item|2|10
    3rd|+2|+1|+1|+3|Draw Wound 2d6|2|15
    4th|+3|+1|+1|+4|Energy Resistance 5|3|20
    5th|+4|+1|+1|+4|Dance of the Cherry Blossom, Draw Wounds 3d6|3|25
    6th|+4|+2|+2|+5|New Word (Substance, Form)|4|30
    7th|+5|+2|+2|+5|Draw Wounds 4d6|5|35
    8th|+6/+1|+2|+2|+6|Energy Resistance 10|6|40
    9th|+6/+1|+3|+3|+6|Draw Wounds 5d6|7|45
    10th|+7/+2|+3|+3|+7||8|50
    11th|+8/+3|+3|+3|+7|Draw Wounds 6d6, New Word (Substance, Form, Construction)|9|55
    12th|+9/+4|+4|+4|+8|Energy Resistance 15|9|60
    13th|+9/+4|+4|+4|+8|Create Moderate Item|10|65
    14th|+10/+5|+4|+4|+9|Draw Wounds 7d6|11|70
    15th|+11/+6/+1|+5|+5|+9||12|75
    16th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+5|+10|New Word (Substance, Form, Construction, Elemental|12|80
    17th|+12/+7/+2|+6|+6|+10|Draw Wounds 8d6|13|85
    18th|+13/+8/+3|+6|+6|+11||14|90
    19th|+14/+9/+4|+6|+6|+11|Energy Resistance 20|14|95
    20th|+15/+10/+5|+6|+6|+12|Re-Writting Tapestry, Draw Wounds 9d6|15|100[/table]

what do you think for the fluff?
    I was thinknig making the class along the lines of a warlock/druid/cleric so invocations, more on the slight healing/environment minipluation with limited shape changing abilities....so what do you think so far with the idea?
    Last edited by Innis Cabal; 2007-04-16 at 09:33 PM.
    My Current Works

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure you're GLaDoS now.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Calligrapher(Base Class)

I think it'd be kind of cool. Sort of an Okami feel to it? Perhaps Marvelous Pigments would be an important item in such a case.

3. - Top - End - #3

ya its based off of Okami, made a prestige class but i think a whole class could be dedicated to it, any idea's? And marvelous pigments would certianly get their blood pumping
    Last edited by Innis Cabal; 2007-04-10 at 10:36 PM.
    My Current Works

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Like the fluff so far, but i don't know much about the topic myself.
    Only complant, why can't they be evil, we have evil druids
    from,
    EE

5. - Top - End - #5

yes but druids are the definition of nature, nature can be cruel and uncaring, almost hostile while the Calligrapher is the beauty of nature and art and the divine insperation that empowers it, and to me one can not be evil and have the true movement of soul and mind that comes along with this class
    My Current Works

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Calligrapher

Alignment: Calligraphers range from good to neutral, and are just as often chaotic as they are lawful. Lawful good Calligraphers are rare, while Lawful neutral calligraphers are almost non-existent. Calligraphers can not be of any evil alignment due to the respect of nature and beauty it takes to control the divine creation that flows through their veins.
    You contradicted yourself there, just often chaotic as lawful then mention that the only lawful alignments availible are rare among them.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, a lot of calligraphy masters in China often talk about how calligraphy for them is a matter of zen and a matter of honing their instincts and making something divine out of the mundane. So, yes, even a slab of inkstone, applied to horse tail fur bundled together, can elevate a man to the sublime. In that very sense, I don't see how being evil can work with this zen level.

have you thought about abilities that this class will have?

I imagine it will get a number of monk like abilities such as diamond soul and what not. (To reflect the internal tranquility of his character)

I imagine that he will be able to use his calligraphy to cast spells. (Hell, something like a "diagramancer" kind of deal...)

Maybe he would cast divine spells in the same fashion as a sorceror or bard, drawing the very effects that he's trying to emulate.

I imagine that in the earlier stages, his drawings might do something as simple as a suggestion spell, just like a bard, but then eventually move up to being able to summon monsters and allies straight from the very paper he draws upon. Perhaps at some point, he will have a power word: stun that comes in the form of a single brush stroke, that when examined in greater detail, reveals an abyss of details and subtlety that drives the very target to the point of paralysis in it's beauty.

sigh, so many ideas. I like this class.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Interesting flavor. So they cast by, what, using brush motions? Or actual paint?

I can see a feature being something like Scribe Scroll, except you store a single letter or word on the scroll, with only other Calligraphers able to use it. (Can't think of the PrC that's like this ... Geometer? Cartogramancer?)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

heck, why not be able to do both?

Maybe at a later level, the calligrapher can draw straight onto what ever medium he desires and create the effect that way. i.e. he casts an "arcane lock" spell by drawing on the door.

10. - Top - End - #10

they will be as the warlock in casting. With a small number of "brush strokes" but they will be divine. And ya i kinda did mess up the alignment, ill change it so its not so silly. The prestige class had "ink points" much like power points but i beleive the warlock would be easiest class to use. Their will be a good deal of flavor on how they cast, which i guess i can leak a little now and get some input on it.

The calligrapher uses the "brush of his soul" to "paint" into reality. To the uninitiated the calligrapher merely seems to be waving his hand in strange directions, but in reality he is using his soul as a brush, so to him he is using the brush to paint a lock on door, as elliot so wonderfully put it, but to a fighter or non calligrapher(or warlock as they will act as innvocations do) they merely move their hand and the door is locked.

As for other abilities, i was thinking of slight shape changing as a druid, into animals and magical animals, perhaps at the end elementals or the like. THey will have an eldritch blast like ability as well, known as brush slash, which will be identical to the warlocks ability.

What do you all think?
    My Current Works

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

the brush blast ability seems just a tad silly to me.

But also, I believe that the calligrapher should have a greater emphasis upon using his brush as a channel for his abilities. After all, he's trying to reach a new level of zen via his brush strokes. Without a brush in hand, he either must have reached a new level of enlightment or he's probably going to have a hard time focusing as well.

I also think that that instead of shape changing, he should have the power to create things through his brush instead. After all, as an artist, he's not placing himself in his work, he's CREATING works.

In Chinese calligraphy, a lot of the art is not just in the content of creation, but in the emotions and the feelings that his work conveys. So I feel that a line of compulsion/mind spells would be appropriate for works that he creates, while things like force effects would be his drawings coming to life.

12. - Top - End - #12

it is based off of a game called Okami, and one of the many abilities you get is the ability to destroy things with a single quick brush stroke. The emphises is not so much on the real brush but the soul as a brush. He has gone past the bounds of brush and paper and into the realm of the soul and the tapestry that is reality. Though the create opbject ability does sound better.

The things i am going for with the innvocations is control over the world, so planet growth, the sun/moon/light/darkness, reapairing and healing, minor creation of objects(though a class ability does seem better) and control over the environment
    My Current Works

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

I thought that in Okami there was, in fact, an actual brush (or brush stand-in). Never played (just read the Wikipedia on it, actually), though, so I could be highly off-base.

Regardless, even if there isn't, I think that this is a case to break with the source material and require one as a focus.

Also, make the direct damage more flavorful. "Brush Blast" is silly. Very silly. If you want the ability to write something out of existence, a better way to do it would be to give them a stroke that they can learn to deal 1d6/level to an enemy with a save to negate, and disintegration if it kills them.

Another possible idea would be to use the Truenamer, rather than the Warlock, as the base, and base it on their Calligraphy (or Craft (Calligraphy)) skill, or possibly a level check (divine calligraphy transcends mortal).

If you use the Truenamer, do it right: Magic items don't add to the skill (Spells, Utterances, and Strokes do, though), the DCs don't scale as fast (possibly 15+CR+Stroke Level, or even lower the base to 10). Possibly also weaken the Law of Resistance (such as on a per-encounter basis).
    Last projects, from years back: Lesser Disciplines (Tome of Battle). Also, Never Behind the Curve (multiclassing).

Some of my current work is under the name IGTN on D&D Wiki

14. - Top - End - #14

i was also thinking of making them a shadowcaster base, im still juggling with idea's and any suggestions are helpful. Also i am working on the "ANIME HERO" base class as well so my time is divided...and working on a gerneric "make a class" class...so i have alot of things on my plate
    My Current Works

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

A shadowmancer class would be cool, but I believe it would also be somewhat limiting.

In a sense, I felt that the way you should handle should be a little like bardic magic and have a lot of abilities be based off of the calligraphy skill check.

16. - Top - End - #16

warlock would be limiting as well, and i want there to be a limit. Though the true namer would be good to i guess.....as i said i have alot on my plate and any help with stats/ability ideas would be great, everything posted is on the doc file that ive written up and will be considered. Thank you all for yoru help and i hope that you take a look at the other two class's comming soon
    My Current Works

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Heh, wow, this got a lot more responses than my attempt. Guess I should include more Fluff. O_o (Though yours doesn't have, yaknow, stats for the most part...)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Make brush blast be more like brush slash
    The calligrapher draws a wound in the air, a pen slash and a wound appears on the target
    from,
    EE

19. - Top - End - #19

wondered when you would get here EE, that name is alot better, and the name was really the only thing i could think of, to Mojotech, and i was the one that made the PrC first ;), and stats are comming sometime soon, after i get alot of my other stuff out of the way
    Last edited by Innis Cabal; 2007-04-11 at 10:14 PM.
    My Current Works

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

wondered when you would get here EE, that name is alot better, and the name was really the only thing i could think Mojotech, and i was the one that made the PrC first ;), and stats are comming sometime soon, after i get alot of my other stuff out of the way
    Thanks, i've played a bit of the game myself.
    Also, just one more attempt on aligment
    Couldn't some people use their zen to get in touch with their inner darkness, thus producing a twisted but powerful corruption of the sacred art. The people use the inner void in their soul to produce the same effect as the good or neutral calligraphers, but theirs is one based on egotisiom and lonelness
    Maybe a Prc instead?
    from,
    EE

21. - Top - End - #21

there is a PrC called the Brush god, and you make a good argument on alignment
    My Current Works

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

there is a PrC called the Brush god, and you make a good argument on alignment
    Thanks.
    I would like to point out, while i have not yet seen the complete crunch, i really love the fluff. One of my players has been complaing about wanting to play somebody like this for years, and i'd finally not only got hte class, but a great fluff for it as well
    I'll keep in touch
    from,
    EE

23. - Top - End - #23

thanks EE, please do it will be done by next week i promise, and look for the anime hero, and the villian that wil lbe comming along with it!
    My Current Works

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

thanks EE, please do it will be done by next week i promise, and look for the anime hero, and the villian that wil lbe comming along with it!
    Sweetness, sounds quite cool, i'm ready to put it into my oriental adventures game.
    nice avatar by the way
    from,
    EE

25. - Top - End - #25

thank you very much, that is one of my all time fav characters i ever played, Loopyzebra was nice enough to make it for me, now we dont look like we double post. And thank you for the positive feed back on the class, now that someone really wants to see it i have an excuse to make it
    My Current Works

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

thank you very much, that is one of my all time fav characters i ever played, Loopyzebra was nice enough to make it for me, now we dont look like we double post. And thank you for the positive feed back on the class, now that someone really wants to see it i have an excuse to make it
    wait one question, what character?
    I just thought you avater was a drawing, who is it?
    and i look forward to the class
    from,
    EE

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

whoops, double post,
    Nothing to see here
    from,
    EE
    Last edited by EvilElitest; 2007-04-11 at 10:40 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

the avatar is named Tebryn Cabal, a character i have been playing since the start of 2nd ed, and was a house ruled half drow. In 3.5 rules he is a level 57 character who's ultimate goal is to forge a country for the half elves of his world, which is a home brew my best friend created so long ago...., and become a god king, his character life has been rough, and he is one of two characters who were level one at the start, and sadly the game has ended with a simple "and thus their goals were achived" so i made him my avatar

god that brought up so many old memories....
    Last edited by Innis Cabal; 2007-04-11 at 10:58 PM.
    My Current Works

29. - Top - End - #29
    Halfling in the Playground

yes but druids are the definition of nature, nature can be cruel and uncaring, almost hostile while the Calligrapher is the beauty of nature and art and the divine insperation that empowers it, and to me one can not be evil and have the true movement of soul and mind that comes along with this class
    Evil can appreciate beauty and make it as any other alignment. It's simply more selfish. I disagree very stongly that someone's bad morals prevent them from making good art. Salvador Dali was a wonderful draughtsman and an all-time great among painters, but he also dedicated most of his personal life to angering other people for his personal amusement; he became a fascist just to piss off a fellow surrealist named Andre Breton. Things like that are almost a textbook definition of the evil alignment, yet his works are still beautiful and give insight into the human sould and the nature of the worldaround them.
    Or look at Cao Cao, a figure in Chinese history and master of nature poetry, yet a cruel, vengemful, amoral, paranoid, and violent general. Even those on his side and among his closest advisors spoke of his legendary wickedness and hatefulness; his only good traits were his carefulness and ruthless cunning. He is one of the least morally sympathetic characters in history and literature, yet his poetry on the subject of nature is honestly deeply inspiring and poetically nearly flawless in organization and sound combinations.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Reptilus View Post
    Evil can appreciate beauty and make it as any other alignment. It's simply more selfish. I disagree very stongly that someone's bad morals prevent them from making good art. Salvador Dali was a wonderful draughtsman and an all-time great among painters, but he also dedicated most of his personal life to angering other people for his personal amusement; he became a fascist just to piss off a fellow surrealist named Andre Breton. Things like that are almost a textbook definition of the evil alignment, yet his works are still beautiful and give insight into the human sould and the nature of the worldaround them.
    Or look at Cao Cao, a figure in Chinese history and master of nature poetry, yet a cruel, vengemful, amoral, paranoid, and violent general. Even those on his side and among his closest advisors spoke of his legendary wickedness and hatefulness; his only good traits were his carefulness and ruthless cunning. He is one of the least morally sympathetic characters in history and literature, yet his poetry on the subject of nature is honestly deeply inspiring and poetically nearly flawless in organization and sound combinations.
    Yeah i know Cao Cao's work, but he was not quote as bad as you say, he die get the lolty of his men
    I'm just keeping this thread alive until Innis Cabal gets his crunch up
    And innis, you got the guy to level 57 from level 1 ?

Damn
    from,
    EE