New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 22373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1507
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering Thread XIV: Instant Annoying, Just Add Hexproof

It looks like you have a fair number of pretty decent white mana cards, so including some of those could be good, and if you go for a duel colour deck, either blue or red(if you go tri colour, white + blue, green, or red could be good)
    Last edited by Togath; 2012-11-17 at 07:32 PM.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering Thread XIV: Instant Annoying, Just Add Hexproof

Why not White/Blue/Black? White/Blue/Red seems like it would make most sense for a tricolor deck, since those are the three I've got most of, but I've got more Black than I do Green...

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Ettin in the Playground

because a misread the colours of them
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos 51-50 View Post
    So, are there any awesome decklists out thre whcih make copius use of Guttersnipe and/or Lobber Crew? Because both of those cards are amazing.
    If Boros is at all burn heavy (which it should be, because Boros), I can quite easily see those two finding their way into top-tier decklists to support the playstyle.
    I'm not the only one really hoping Lightning Helix is reprinted, am I?
    I've seen Guttersnipe used in some Epic Experiment piles and some RDW builds. It's not a bad card but I think there are better options.

I really should make a non-RDW deck for T2 but I don't really play it enough to justify the price-tag.

Should I try some sort of RG or UR pile instead of RB RDW (splashing Ultimate Price and Hellhole Flailer with Duress/Rakdos Charm in the SB)? The format isn't fun for RDW even if I have Magma Pillar and/or Annihilating Fire to counter geralf's messenger/thagtrusk/whatnot.
    Last edited by Penguinizer; 2012-11-17 at 11:16 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Troll in the Playground

Just got back from a PTQ. Did my best ever, with a 6-2 record. I didn't make Top 8 (I ended up in 14th--you ended up needing at least a 6-1-1 record to make it to Top 8, and one of the guys with that record actually didn't make it), but I still got 9 booster packs as a prize on top of the 6 booster packs you got for being in the tournament. Not a bad deal.

I actually think I put together a pretty good deck:
    Spoiler
    Show
    7 Mountain
    8 Swamp
    1 Rakdos Guildgate
    1 Civic Saber
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Rakdos Keyrune
    2 Catacomb slug
    1 Cremate
    1 Drainpipe Vermin
    1 Grim Rousabout
    1 Mind Rot
    3 Stab Wound
    1 Thrill-Kill Assassin
    1 Ultimate Price
    1 Dreadbore
    1 Hellhole Flailer
    1 Rakdos Guildmage
    1 Blsitercoil Weird
    1 Lobber Crew
    2 Splatter Thug
    1 Street Spasm
    2 Traitorous Instinct

For anyone curious, the pool was:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1 Rakdos Guildgate
    1 Civic Saber
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Rakdos Keyrune
    2 Catacomb Slug
    1 Cremate
    1 Drainpipe Vermin
    1 Grim Rousabout
    1 Mind Rot
    3 Stab Wound
    1 Thrill-Kill Assassin
    1 Ultimate Price
    1 Dreadbore
    1 Hellhole Flailer
    1 Rakdos Guildmage
    1 Blsitercoil Weird
    1 Lobber Crew
    2 Splatter Thug
    1 Street Spasm
    3 Traitorous Instinct
    1 Deviant Glee
    1 Cobblebrute
    2 Survey the Wreckage
    1 Batterhorn
    1 Skull Rend
    1 Rogue's Passage
    1 Launch Party
    1 Assassin's Strike
    1 Isperia, Supreme Judge
    1 Izzet Charm
    1 New Prahv Guildmage
    1 Treasured Find
    2 Trestle Troll
    1 Vassal Soul
    1 Chronic Flooding
    1 Inaction Injunction
    1 Inspiration
    1 Mizzium Skin
    1 Runewing
    1 Soulsworn Spirit
    1 Syncopate
    1 Tower Drake
    1 Voidwielder
    1 Azorius Justiciar
    1 Concordia Pegasus
    3 Eyes in the Skies
    1 Fencing Ace
    2 Knightly Valor
    1 Rootborn Defenses
    1 Seller of Songbirds
    1 Aerial Predation
    1 Archweaver
    2 Axebane Stag
    1 Chorus of Might
    1 Dredge Beetle
    1 Gatecreeper Vine
    1 Korozda Monitor
    1 Mana Bloom
    1 Savage Surge
    2 Towering Indrik
    2 Azorius Guildgate
    1 Hallowed Fountain
    1 Selesnya Guildgate
    1 Transguild Promenade
    1 Armada Wurm
    2 Chemister's Trick
    1 Courser's Accord
    2 Goblin Electromancer
    (Yeah, kind of unsorted, but I didn't want to exert that much effort into putting in what I doubt most people will bother reading. Pretty sure that's everything)

If I could do it again, I'd replace the Pithing Needle and a Catacomb Slug with Deviant Glee and Cobblebrute. Pithing Needle, while rarely a flat-out dead card, was also rarely of actual use. Most of the times when I did get real usage out of it, it was in games I ended up losing anyway. Catacomb Slug did come in handy sometimes, but it shouldn't have been a 2-of while I had Cobblebrute. I never used the Rogue's Passage, and I've been trying to decide if that was a mistake or not...

Overall, though, I think this is a pretty good deck (hey, it went 6-2!), and one of the matches I lost was very close; it was 2-1, and in I believe both of the games I lost, I had my opponent at 1 life and one turn until death. Sigh. On the other hand, the other match I lost was pretty one-sided in their favor.

I think what I like the most about the deck is that it's actually really good without having any cards I could actually classify as "bombs." It's got plenty of good aggressive creatures and the removal to get rid of things that become troublesome (or just get in your way).

Also, a reminder to everyone: Under the current tournament rules, you have to announce all your triggers. I'm not sure about the specifics because I wasn't there right when it happened, but I believe some guy somehow lost a game because he didn't announce one (which he was not happy about at all).
    Last edited by Lord Seth; 2012-11-17 at 10:28 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1386
    Ettin in the Playground

That reminds me, I've been trying to remember to ask this;
    what are good low mana cards to look for in a draft for RtR?
    From what I encountered(and your deck as well) it looks like i was correct about stab wound at least, but I have been wondering if I could have done a little bit better by prioritizing the cards differently.
    admittedly it was just a casual tournament, but I have still been wondering which cards would have been good for an aggro deck in the draft format.
    Meow(Steam page)

7. - Top - End - #1387
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Also, a reminder to everyone: Under the current tournament rules, you have to announce all your triggers. I'm not sure about the specifics because I wasn't there right when it happened, but I believe some guy somehow lost a game because he didn't announce one (which he was not happy about at all).
    ...at Competitive and Professional REL. If you are playing at FNM (Casual REL), you don't have to and your opponent (and you) are both obligated to remember any mandatory triggers.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

8. - Top - End - #1388
    Bugbear in the Playground

So last night I played my first game of Magic (and many more after), gotta say I love it already! Thanks again for the U/W deck advice I didnt win any games with it as was expected but came surprisingly close

Ive traded my Blues away with my friend who has supplied with some rather nice Black and Black/White cards, im now playing a B/W aggro deck based around using Vampires with White buffs, protections and healing to overcome the life upkeep that some of the creatures in the deck cost. Playing with this deck I actually started winning!

Deck:
    Spoiler
    Show

11x Swamp
    11x Plains
    1x Caves of Koilos

1x Cloistered Youth/Unholy Fiend
    2x Bloodthrone Vampire
    2x Vampire Lacerator
    1x Stromkirk Patrol
    1x Markov Patrician
    1x Guul Daz Vampire
    1x Vampire Outcasts
    1x Gatekeeper of Malakir
    1x Pulse Tracker
    1x Ruthless Cullblade
    1x Vampire Nighthawk
    1x Mourning Thrull
    1x Seraph of Dawn
    1x Serra Angel
    1x Chapel Geist
    1x Healer of the Pride
    1x Ajani Sunstriker
    1x Warclamp Mastiff
    1x Darien,King of Kjeldor

4x Castigate
    1x Paraselene
    1x Divine Verdict
    1x Pacifism
    1x Duress
    1x Angels Mercy
    1x Defang
    1x Zealous Strike
    1x Morbid Plunder
    1x Urge to Feed
    1x Mortify
    1x Divine Favour
    1x Feast of Blood

1x Demons Horn
    1x Shadow Lance
    1x Wispersilk Cloak
    1x Elixer of Immortality

Its not usable in Standard format im pretty sure but looking to fix that in Feb when the Orzhov deck comes out.

In the mean time im looking to get hold of more Vampires to replace some of the White creatures im using and get some all Vampire buff cards. Any ideas on what would be a good place to look booster or premade deck wise? Same goes for some White Protections/buffs.

Thanks guys!
    Mojave, Mo' Problems.

My Post apocalyptic campaign setting for Legend: Shattered Lands

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Titan in the Playground

Gatecrash guild leader griping:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Just realized, nice to see they made a 6 CMC guild leader that dies to Mizzium Mortars.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

10. - Top - End - #1390
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    ...at Competitive and Professional REL. If you are playing at FNM (Casual REL), you don't have to and your opponent (and you) are both obligated to remember any mandatory triggers.
    You're right, I should have specified that.

Still, at things like PTQs, what I said holds true.

11. - Top - End - #1391
    Barbarian in the Playground

On Gatecrash spoilers:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think that Red/Green/White is going to be seen quite a bit come Gatecrash. Aurelia and Armada Wurm, plus Rancor, sounds like pure nastiness, especially since you'll be swinging twice every time it's your turn.

And on Enter the Infinite:
    I remember reading here that someone thought that Omniscence and Enter the Infinite could be a good combo. I agree. If you have an Omniscence and an Enter the Infinite in your hand, you drop the Omniscence, play Enter the Infinite, put a land in your library, drop a Supreme Vedict and then pump out all of your creatures, next turn, bar any Supreme Verdicts, you get to laugh as you counter any spell that tries to take out your creatures with any counter spells you have. Then you get to swing for game. It'll be crazy hard to pull off but...absolute fun
    Last edited by Mindfreak; 2012-11-18 at 10:07 AM.
    Mindfreak by...I don't quite know who
    Nexus Characters | Pokemon RPG Rules
    Busy with Life

12. - Top - End - #1392
    Ogre in the Playground

If you are playing at FNM (Casual REL)
    It's called "regular REL". Casual REL would not make sense since casual is not a tournament environment, meaning there is no Rules Enforcement Level specified by the tournament rules.
    In fact, it is up to the specific playgroup and can range between "none at all" and "death penalty for forgetting to untap"

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    It's called "regular REL". Casual REL would not make sense since casual is not a tournament environment, meaning there is no Rules Enforcement Level specified by the tournament rules.
    In fact, it is up to the specific playgroup and can range between "none at all" and "death penalty for forgetting to untap"
    "Okay, I draw my ca-"

"NO! YOU FORGOT TO UNTAP FIRST!" *stabs other player in the chest with a sword.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

14. - Top - End - #1394
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    "Okay, I draw my ca-"

"NO! YOU FORGOT TO UNTAP FIRST!" *stabs other player in the chest with a sword.
    Hey, that sounds like my Local Meta!
    My poor brother, always with the not tapping lands until the spell resolves...
    *sniff*
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

15. - Top - End - #1395
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    Whoops, my bad. I generally refer to it as "Casual REL." But you are correct, it is Regular REL and I made a mistake.

And technically, few people follow the actual rules for casting spells:
    1) Declare you are casting a spell and put it on the stack.
    2) Choose all modes for that spell.
    3) Choose all targets for that spell.
    4) Pay all costs for that spell.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

16. - Top - End - #1396
    Barbarian in the Playground

Whoops, my bad. I generally refer to it as "Casual REL." But you are correct, it is Regular REL and I made a mistake.

And at which point does one get to technically get to do something in response?
    Mindfreak by...I don't quite know who
    Nexus Characters | Pokemon RPG Rules
    Busy with Life

17. - Top - End - #1397
    Ogre in the Playground

...except that you can float mana for paying the costs before declaring the spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindfreak View Post
    And at which point does one get to technically get to do something in response?
    For most types of "something", only after step 4. There is one exception; a player can concede during any step. This is the basis for my favorite stump-the-judge question.
    Last edited by Bucky; 2012-11-18 at 04:42 PM.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

18. - Top - End - #1398
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    For most types of "something", only after step 4. There is one exception; a player can concede during any step. This is the basis for my favorite stump-the-judge question.
    Elaborate, please?
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

19. - Top - End - #1399
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Elaborate, please?
    Priority passes after the mana costs have been paid, which is really when you want to take priority, anyway, because if you cast a counterspell before they pay, then you're not hindering the enemy at all.
    However, one can concede the game even if they do not have priority, and it is, AFAIK, the ONLY thing that trumps priority.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

20. - Top - End - #1400
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos 51-50 View Post
    Priority passes after the mana costs have been paid, which is really when you want to take priority, anyway, because if you cast a counterspell before they pay, then you're not hindering the enemy at all.
    However, one can concede the game even if they do not have priority, and it is, AFAIK, the ONLY thing that trumps priority.
    I believe, that as mana abilities are explicitly stated to dodge the stack, you can generate mana without priority. However, don't quote me on that one.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

21. - Top - End - #1401
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    I believe, that as mana abilities are explicitly stated to dodge the stack, you can generate mana without priority. However, don't quote me on that one.
    You're correct. To expand on this - a mana ability is any non-targeted activated ability that generates mana, or any triggered ability that triggers on a mana ability.

22. - Top - End - #1402
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    You're correct. To expand on this - a mana ability is any non-targeted activated ability that generates mana, or any triggered ability that triggers on a mana ability.
    Thought so. I know that it's actually possible to win a game through Split Second via a mana ability (saw it happen once; Guy A had a Blood Artist, some other dude, and a Phyrexian Tower, Guy B had like 30 1/1 tokens and a Last Laugh, Guy C had a Krosan Grip and went for it on the Last Laugh, Guy A used Phyrexian Tower to eat the random dude and laughed as the Blood Artist and Last Laugh murdered Guy C with a Krosan Grip on stack).

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

23. - Top - End - #1403
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Thought so. I know that it's actually possible to win a game through Split Second via a mana ability (saw it happen once; Guy A had a Blood Artist, some other dude, and a Phyrexian Tower, Guy B had like 30 1/1 tokens and a Last Laugh, Guy C had a Krosan Grip and went for it on the Last Laugh, Guy A used Phyrexian Tower to eat the random dude and laughed as the Blood Artist and Last Laugh murdered Guy C with a Krosan Grip on stack).
    Yup, that works. Very nice!

24. - Top - End - #1404
    Troll in the Playground

In a feature match in some Star City Games Open, a guy tried to Extirpate someone's Punishing Fire, and they responded by tapping Grove of the Burnwillows (mana ability!) to make it return to their hand.

Morph is goofy also, because it doesn't use the stack. So you can respond to Split Second by turning a card face up.

25. - Top - End - #1405
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    In a feature match in some Star City Games Open, a guy tried to Extirpate someone's Punishing Fire, and they responded by tapping Grove of the Burnwillows (mana ability!) to make it return to their hand.

Morph is goofy also, because it doesn't use the stack. So you can respond to Split Second by turning a card face up.
    Yep! Back when Time Spiral was in standard, Willbender was used a fair bit to redirect split second spells.

26. - Top - End - #1406
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    Yep! Back when Time Spiral was in standard, Willbender was used a fair bit to redirect split second spells.
    I remember that and how awesome it was. Man, I liked Morph and Split Second. Hell, I just loved Time Spiral. I know they never will, but I really want Time Spiral 2: Electric Boogaloo.

27. - Top - End - #1407
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Elaborate, please?
    The stump-the-judge question is some variation on the following:
    It's a multiplayer game with 3 remaining players. Player A has a Door to Nothingness, Player B has a Leyline of Sanctity, and Player C has nothing important.

Player A taps lands for 2 mana of each color, and then announces that he is using the Door's ability. Before he announces the target, Player C concedes. Can Player A avoid targetting himself with the Door to Nothingness?
    Last edited by Bucky; 2012-11-19 at 01:24 AM.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

28. - Top - End - #1408
    Troll in the Playground

Side note. I've been pondering going with Rest In Peace instead of Grafdigger's Cage in the sideboard of my Standard deck. It's true that hurts me as it cuts off Moorland Haunt (an appeal to me with Grafdigger's Cage is that it doesn't hurt me at all because Moorland Haunt is all I do with my graveyard), but Rest In Peace can hurt opponents a lot more also. What Rest In Peace does do, however, is cut off Grafdigger's Cage's library shutoff. Are there any cards in Standard that put creatures into play from the library I'm overlooking in which Grafdigger's Cage over Rest In Peace might be relevant?

29. - Top - End - #1409
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The stump-the-judge question is some variation on the following:
    It's a multiplayer game with 3 remaining players. Player A has a Door to Nothingness, Player B has a Leyline of Sanctity, and Player C has nothing important.

Player A taps lands for 2 mana of each color, and then announces that he is using the Door's ability. Before he announces the target, Player C concedes. Can Player A avoid targetting himself with the Door to Nothingness?
    Huh, that's an interesting dagger. I think Player A's out of luck, but I'm not familiar enough with the intricacies of multiplayer rules to be sure.

30. - Top - End - #1410
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I can see a couple ways out of it though. If the Door wasn't tapped, a judge could rule that Player A simply floated the mana and hasn't used the ability yet. However, that's a highly suspect ruling. If the Door is tapped to use the ability, that judge could say that either the effect fizzles upon targeting Player B, or Player A is SOL. However, with a non-squirrelly interpretation of the relevant rules, Player A's SOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.