New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default [DnD 3.5] Determining Price for Magic Weapons

I've tried reading around, and asking my group, but I'm still confused on how to determine magic weapon costs.

For a straight example of what I want, I want to get a Deadly Precision(MIC, +1 bonus) kusari-gama(light exotic reach weapon).

I thought it would just be base weapon cost + masterwork cost + enchantment bonus cost(in this case 2,000gp), but some people in my group said that you have to make a weapon magic before you can add an enchantment(meaning a total of a +2 bonus), which doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [DnD 3.5] Determining Price for Magic Weapons

You need to have +1 enhancement bonus before you can add special abilities.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

The rules for magic weapons state that "A weapon with a special ability must have at least a +1 enhancement bonus." Whether this makes sense to you doesn't really matter, it's what the rules say.

Thus, if you want a Deadly Precision kusari-gama it must at the very least be a +1 Deadly Precision kusari-gama, which as you noted costs as a +2 weapon.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Here is a related question - if I have a +1 weapon and want to add a +1 bonus enhancement to it will I pay 8k as full cost or just the 6k difference?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by klemdakherzbag View Post
    Here is a related question - if I have a +1 weapon and want to add a +1 bonus enhancement to it will I pay 8k as full cost or just the 6k difference?
    To upgrade an existing weapon, you only pay the difference.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theonesin View Post
    I want to get a Deadly Precision(MIC, +1 bonus) kusari-gama(light exotic reach weapon).
    If you're using the Oriental Adventures version of the kusari-gama, it's also a double weapon, meaning you'd need to get both parts enchanted separately, and pay for both masterwork costs.

One would imagine that for your example, you'd only put Deadly Precision on one end and not the other... but if you were doing it for both ends, total cost would be 10 [weapon] + 2x300 [masterwork] + 2x8000 [total of +2 effective bonus] = 16610gp.

Only putting the magic enchantments on one end (but keeping the whole thing masterwork) would cost you 10+2x300+8000 = 8610gp.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tancred View Post
    If you're using the Oriental Adventures version of the kusari-gama, it's also a double weapon
    Since he specified it's a light exotic weapon, we can probably assume he doesn't mean the two-handed one.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Since he specified it's a light exotic weapon, we can probably assume he doesn't mean the two-handed one.
    Ah. True, that.

I (wrongly) assumed that by "light" he just meant that Weapon Finesse could be applied.

Where does one find a light kusari-gama?

Edit: I'm blind. I didn't see the table on p145 of the DMG, I just read the description and concentrated on the "used in all respects like a spiked chain" bit. Oops.
    Last edited by Tancred; 2011-06-11 at 08:22 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

it is written in the rules that "All magic weapons are also masterwork weapons, but their masterwork bonus on attack rolls does not stack with their enhancement bonus on attack rolls. " Does this mean that you need to pay that +1 on masterwork or is the price for a masterwork weapon implemented in the price for the magic weapon?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

The MW cost is not included in the price for adding enhancements/enchantments.

That statement is merely stating that the +1 to hit from MW, does not stack with the +1 hit/dmg from magic.

11. - Top - End - #11

WolfInSheepsClothing

yes but all magic weapons are masterwork. ?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yes, all magic weapons are masterwork, but you have to pay for the masterwork part separately from the magic part. And the +1 bonus on attack rolls you get from a masterwork weapon does not stack with the bonus from a magical weapon. A +1 longsword gets +1 attack and +1 damage, not +2 attack and +1 damage.

A +1 longsword costs:

15gp (longsword) + 300gp (masterwork weapon) + 2,000gp (+1 weapon) = 2,315gp.
    Last edited by Jeraa; 2012-03-23 at 06:55 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

WolfInSheepsClothing

thx jeraa. btw im having a problem finding prices for magic items... i have seen in the magic item compeduum that some of the prices were pointed as for example price:+2
    what is the price for a +2 weapon?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Page 222 of the 3.5 Dungeons Masters Guide, or here on the SRD.

15. - Top - End - #15

WolfInSheepsClothing

thx again jeraa

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Hey, please forgive my ignorance, Im pretty new to PnP dnd. I am trying to locate the rule that says two +1 enhancements equal the cost of one +2. For example: Say I am in an enchanter's shop with my new shiny masterwork long sword. The goal is to upgrade this weapon to get an extra 1d6 flaming dmg slapped on there.

--Weapon Enh +1 = 2000
    -- Flaming etc +1 = 2000
    >> Newb total = 4,000

This is as if I am applying two separate enchants? Not buying a pre-made weapon, having a custom one enchanted from the ground up.

Many references I see go like this:
    Buying a flaming longsword?
    Weapon Enh +1
    Flaming is +1
    Therefore total enchants are +2 = 8,000.

Can someone one link the rule that states that the newb total is wrong? Or am I just missing some ancient PnP concept?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GhostRaven View Post
    Hey, please forgive my ignorance, Im pretty new to PnP dnd. I am trying to locate the rule that says two +1 enhancements equal the cost of one +2. For example: Say I am in an enchanter's shop with my new shiny masterwork long sword. The goal is to upgrade this weapon to get an extra 1d6 flaming dmg slapped on there.

--Weapon Enh +1 = 2000
    -- Flaming etc +1 = 2000
    >> Newb total = 4,000

This is as if I am applying two separate enchants? Not buying a pre-made weapon, having a custom one enchanted from the ground up.

Many references I see go like this:
    Buying a flaming longsword?
    Weapon Enh +1
    Flaming is +1
    Therefore total enchants are +2 = 8,000.

Can someone one link the rule that states that the newb total is wrong? Or am I just missing some ancient PnP concept?
    Just read the SRD:
    Weapon Table, if you didn't add enhancements: explain hiow +10 weapons cost 200, 000 gp instead of 20, ooo gp?