New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 19343536373839404142434445 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1347
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Thanqol Learns To Draw!

Day 351: Bruce Wayne Is Crazy Bonkers And Has Way Too Much Money

I haven't done anything good for a few days. I know that this is a product of available time and general other circumstances but I don't feel happy about it.

Hmmm.

Today's is just some typical experimental rubbish, the result of throwing around a bunch of haphazard darkening effects to see if I could get something to sync right with the hard shadows. I'm thinking about trying a picture like this properly in paints but that'd take a real while, and there are other things occupying my brainspace. Hmm.

Links

Time: 35 mins
    Music: Her Evil Dances

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post

I haven't done anything good for a few days. I know that this is a product of available time and general other circumstances but I don't feel happy about it.
    I know how that goes

Still, the picture seems pretty decent, so it's not a total loss. I keep telling myself I'm going to buckle down and work out some anatomy after finals are over, but we'll see how that goes.

EDIT: Also, show us these character notes of which you speak, liar-pony!
    Last edited by the_druid_droid; 2012-05-03 at 12:52 AM.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

3. - Top - End - #1293

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    I know how that goes

Still, the picture seems pretty decent, so it's not a total loss. I keep telling myself I'm going to buckle down and work out some anatomy after finals are over, but we'll see how that goes.
    Gosh darn anatomy, eh?

EDIT: Also, show us these character notes of which you speak, liar-pony!
    'kay. Here's how Thanqol preps a character: (Disclaimer: First draft notes, subject to radical change and revision)

STATBLOCK:

Spoiler
    Show
    Stephanie Rosen
    AKA Stephanie Khoyshekh
    Female Lurkglider Darkling
    “Never turn back.”
    ATTRIBUTES
    Intelligence 1
    Wits 4
    Resolve 2

Strength 1
    Dexterity 5
    Stamina 2

Presence 1
    Manipulation 3
    Composure 2

MENTAL
    Academics 2
    Computer
    Crafts
    Investigation 2 (Puzzles +1)
    Occult
    Politics
    Medicine
    Science

PHYSICAL
    Athletics 5 (Acrobatics +1)
    Brawl
    Drive
    Firearms
    Larceny 2
    Stealth 3 (Darkness +1)
    Survival
    Weaponry

SOCIAL
    Animal Ken
    Empathy
    Expression
    Intimidation
    Persuasion 3 (Authority figures +1)
    Socialize 1 (+1 Mantle)
    Streetwise 3
    Subterfuge

MERITS
    Arcadian Body (Dexterity) 4 (Rites of Spring p87)
    Striking Looks 2
    Mantle of Spring 1 
    CONTRACTS
    Darkness 4
    Seperation 1 (WM p40)
    WYRD 1
    GLAMOUR 7/10

CLARITY: 7
    VIRTUE: Temperance
    VICE: Lust
    FLAW:

DERIVED TRAITS
    Willpower 4/4
    Defense 4
    Health 7/7
    Speed 11

CLAUSES
    Darkness 1: Creeping Dread
    Cost: 1G or 2G+1WP
    Pool: Manipulation+Wyrd 4-Resolve
    Catch: Frighten intruders into house

Darkness 2: Night’s Subtle Distractions
    Cost: 1G
    Pool: Wyrd+Stealth 4
    Catch: Invoked outdoors at night

Darkness 3: Balm of Unwakeable Slumber
    Pool: Manipulation+Wyrd 4
    Catch: Target in their own bed

Darkness 4: Boon of the Scuttling Spider
    Cost: 3G
    Pool: Wyrd+Athletics 6
    Catch: Wall of stone or wood

Separation 1: Tread Lightly (Winter Masques p40)
    Pool: Dexterity+Wyrd 6
    Catch: Wearing fancy footwear

Kith: Gargoyle’s Grace
    Fall from 100 yards without damage
    +2 on Balance checks

CORE COMPETENCY: MOBILITY

Stephanie is optimised for rapid movement over difficult terrain. She can charm her way out of a tight spot and hide when needed, but what she’s really good at is being wherever she needs to be.

ADVANCEMENT:

Mostly focused around merits and either the development of long-range combat or social prowess, depending on the tone of the game and the circumstances she finds herself in.

CHARACTER

Spoiler
    Show
    DESCRIPTION
    Short, cute and blonde, Stephanie cuts a distinctly unintimidating figure (“She’s not scary – what’s the opposite of scary? She’s that”). She has the kind of flexibility that attracts alternating fascination and disgust, and possesses a skill at acrobatics and contortions that would make a Cirq De Soleil member gag. Stephanie is white and Jewish, and her ancestry is French.
    Stephanie’s financial situation is relatively dire, meaning that her getup consists of a black hoodie and jeans. She wears sneakers and headphones attached to a scavenged walkman. She tends to whistle a lot.
    She approaches infiltration with long stillnesses followed by sudden bursts of movement.
    PERSONALITY:
    Stephanie is bright and chipper, upbeat and optimistic, grounded and strong in her convictions. She’s moral and righteous, courageous and daring. She’s happy with herself and disturbingly well adjusted – mainly because she exorcised everything she wasn’t happy about and put it into the body of her Fetch.
    Stephanie is terrified of responsibility, of having to in any way limit her amazing, adventurous life. While she can handle missions, short term objectives, and self-imposed limitations, she can in no way deal with serious commitment of any kind. Captivity is her enemy, commitment is her bane.
    Stephanie is endlessly curious and is prone to extremely impulsive decisions to find out new things. Despite these often poorly judged decisions, Stephanie’s great redeeming feature is knowing when she’s about to go too far. As much as she loves taking daring chances, when the risk is too great or when the rewards aren’t worth the costs, she is capable of just turning it down and walking away in a baffling display of self control.

HISTORY:
    Stephanie grew up on adventure stories and action films. Thriller novels were a sixth food group for her, and she consumed endlessly. Batman, Indiana Jones, James Bond, any action story with daring heroes and clear villains excited her. She wanted to be an explorer when she grew up, or a vigilante – finding new places and new things, learning secrets and vanquishing evil.

She was always amazingly flexible and graceful, and the school gymnasium was nowhere near enough for her. She spent her childhood climbing into all the secret places she could find, never accepting the principles of ‘off limits’ or ‘out of bounds’. After some harsh words from the schoolteachers and her parents she took to hiding her expeditions with more care. She grew up in a rough neighbourhood and grew very practised at booking it when the gangers showed up.

Stephanie had a little sister named Helen, who she adored. She’d tell her all the made-up stories of her adventures, of the monsters she found on the rooftops she climbed to and the treasures she stole from fenced off junkyards. To Helen, Stephanie was a hero, and proof that all the stories and adventures could come true. Stephanie worked and studied hard, sure that someday she’d be able to go travel to distant lands and break into ancient tombs for herself.

But when Stephanie was fourteen, both her parents were murdered, and suddenly she was the sole carer of her little sister. She had to drop out of school, cancel her plans for travel, work full time in a KFC so that there’d be food on the table and that her sister could stay in school. Stephanie realised that she was going to have to watch every single one of her hopes and dreams die because she was stuck caring for another.

And that was when the offer came.

A customer came in on the graveyard shift while Stephanie was mopping up. He said that he was a member of the Royal Museum’s Acquisitions Department, and he was looking for an assistant to help him brave the perils of the Amazon in search of ancient treasure. Stephanie was extremely sceptical, but the stranger seemed compellingly honest. She told the stranger she appreciated the offer but couldn’t go because she had a sister to look after.

The stranger said, “If I were to promise you that your sister would not even notice that you had gone, would you come with me?”

And Stephanie laughed and said yes.

The next thought Stephanie had, as she ghosted across the rooftops of silent New York towards the manor of the evil James McClaw, was that the promise had been broken. Her sister had noticed that she was gone. She had to escape.

It was without hesitation that she turned her back on the manor, McClaw and the Golden Trove of King Peropolis. She had more important places to be.

THE FETCH

Stephanie Rosen’s Fetch was a soulless version of herself. She had no hopes, no dreams, no desires. She just worked, day in, day out, like a machine to provide for her sister. What would have happened to Stephanie if responsibility was allowed to kill her free spirit.

She applied this same remorseless responsibility to the care of her sister, telling her no stories, communicating only what she had to, shuffling from task to task with deadness in her eyes. The first time the Fetch felt an emotion was when Helen screamed at it, “I hate you! You’re not my real sister! I hate you!”

Instantly, the Fetch knew that the real Stephanie Rosen was on her way back.

And it felt rage.

That irresponsible, shiftless, lazy, runaway dreamer dared to come back here? That bitch dared to show her face her, in the house she had abandoned, to the responsibilities she had left behind? If that airheaded idiot came back here, took Helen back, both of them would starve on the street because the ‘real’ one would be unable to hold down a job.

Oh, no. She had worked hard for this life. She had sacrificed for this life. She wasn’t going to let anyone take it away.

Stephanie was taken at age 15, and she escaped at age 20.

THEMES:

Poverty...

The core theme behind Stephanie is the idea of poverty, of being unable to chase your dreams because of circumstance. The theme of victimisation is a part of this, and Stephanie often winds up as the world’s punching bag. Her story is one of a diamond trying desperately to escape the muck.

... and Dream

And despite this crushing poverty, she has hope, and she found a way to live out her hopes. Stephanie can see a brighter future and refuses to give into the despair all around her, and the despair she left behind in the form of her Fetch. And even the will to do better is a lot.

CORE STORIES

The Fetch

If Stephanie seems really well adjusted and optimistic it’s because her internal conflict is a little more... external than most people’s. The one opponent Stephanie can’t face is the Fetch; she’s been running so fast because she’s been running away from it.

Stephanie’s Fetch has all the power in any confrontation; all the arguments, all the bitterness, and all the skill and willingness to use violence to back it up. There is virtually no chance of Stephanie ever killing her Fetch. Instead, their story is a much more complicated one, involving the conflict of self-loathing and the unhealthy extremes of one soul in two bodies.

The potential resolution is hard to guess; perhaps the two learn to get along and accept each other as sisters, or perhaps they merge into the same being once again, or something stranger.

The Escape

Stephanie is aiming towards some big score, some legendary success, some worthy achievement that somehow takes her out of the slums and onto the world stage. She has a lot of incoherent and contradictory ideas about how to achieve this; joining a secret government spy agency, becoming a famous treasure hunter, stealing a submarine full of nazi gold, whatever.

This objective merits special mention because if she achieves it quickly then she’s basically removed herself from play. On the other hand, not including it does a disservice to her nature as a dreamer. To manage it in play, understand the two steps: Figuring out what she wants to be, and then working to achieve that. Minor stories will slow her down, but some major step towards her dream is a worthy season finale and the end of her arc.

If that arc ends, Stephanie will basically need a full redesign in terms of themes and stories and she’ll be essentially a new character at that point. If that’s playable or not depends where the game and other players are at that point.

SECONDARY STORIES

Learning to Fight:

In Arcadia, Stephanie sort of confronted the bad guys, and then they tied her up, and then she made a daring escape and disappeared into the night with the treasure. She’s not remotely used to the idea of physical violence as a thing that happens.

This is kind of a dark path that she could chance into, which could quickly spiral into madness unless she’s able to find some sort of emotional way to process killing. Killing human beings is a Clarity 2 sin, I believe, so if you get Stephanie hooked on murder then be prepared to deal with a legitimate psychopath before too long. If she processes it properly and focuses on bringing justice to Changelings and Fae-kin instead then it’ll be a much healthier character arc.

Vengeance

Stephanie never found out who killed her parents, and that trail is kind of cold by now. On the other hand, now she possesses a whole lot more magic than she did before. Her desire for vengeance is kind of an intellectual one at first, motivated by a vague sense of ‘what would Batman do?’, but it could turn into a horrible obsession especially if she has some nasty encounters with her Fetch and is looking for someone to blame.

The Street

Stephanie grew up in the projects on the absolute bottom layer of society and street life is just natural to her. She’ll naturally fall into the orbit the gangs and the poor even if she’s not a part of them because she doesn’t really know what else to do. She’ll quickly take up arms to protect her people from any supernatural threats that prey on them, and this is probably the most effective way to get Stephanie plot hooks.

The Spires

Stephanie doesn’t really understand boundaries, as free and unfettered as a dream, and will happily sneak or blunder her way into stuff happening in the upscale part of town. This seems likely to be a recipe to get in way over her head and involved in the conflict of serious supernatural powerhouses, like Mages. I actually quite like the idea of Stephanie getting involved in something far more serious than she ever expected and panicking as a response – that actually feeds into her themes of being scared of responsibility, of being Fate’s punching bag, and of finding an escape upwards all at the same time.

The Sister

Stephanie loves her sister. She doesn’t hate her for holding her back or ruining her life; all that frustration is a lot more incoherently focused, mostly at herself. Stephanie is used to telling stories and getting wide-eyed wonder from her little sister, but is probably ill-prepared for a surly, cynical teenager. Helen is kind of a harsh reality check on both Stephanies, one that neither of them has any idea of how to really deal with.

I have no idea what will happen with that story.

KEEPER

Spoiler
    Show
    Stephanie, the Durance and the Keeper

As far as Stephanie is really aware, she never really met one of 'The Fae'. She was plunged into a magical world of adventure and heroism and had to overcome evil villains and terrible obstacles in order to progress. For the most part, that world operated on PG cartoon physics where everything was sanitised and whitewashed - on the condition that she never hesitated, never doubted, and never looked back. Stephanie does has some intensely disturbing and graphic memories of terrible things that happened when she allowed doubt to creep into her mind. She considers those her fault and tries to repress the memories in favour of never making the same mistake again.

She's not really bright enough to recognise the idea that the other world she was in was shaped entirely by the magic of the Fae, or even recognising that there were Fae in charge of the entire story. From her perspective, the villains of her durance were cartoonish Snidley Whiplashes, or bumbling Nazi archaeologists with ridiculous deathtraps and ineffective master plans. Arcadia was kind of a dream for Stephanie, and there is the temptation to go back.

This raises a few tensions and potential conflicts:
    - A naive insensitivity to those who had much worse durances
    - A foolish quickness to investigate fae matters and negotiate with fairy beasts
    - The ability to have civil discussions with her Keeper
    - A story arc that increasingly connects her to the world and the people around her. The more she's cut off from contact, responsibility, and people and things she cares about the more likely she is to just drift away; this is not an interesting outcome. Leave off temptations to return until she's got a reason to stay.

In terms of the Keeper, I see Stephanie and it having a remarkably civil relationship - and it having a rather plaintive desire for a friend/daughter/playmate. If it approaches Stephanie again in-game it will likely be in a similar form/approach to how it first acquired her, appearing as a civil, elderly gentleman telling her there was a daring mission out there that only she could accomplish. However, as nice as it seems, it's still one of the Gentry and doesn't quite respect the ability of other people to make choices.

As it grows increasingly frustrated at being abandoned, the Keeper might step up it's game to try and get Stephanie to play along again. It could start bringing it's ridiculous conspiracies and adventures to reality in the form of shaped monsters or beasts, or casually break the minds of people or changelings to get them to play certain parts in it's stories. It might start trying to incite tensions between Stephanie and her friends, getting people to turn against her so that she's got nowhere to go but to it. In extremis it might kidnap Stephanie's sister. At no point would it be interested in harming Stephanie, physically or even emotionally, because her innocent dreams of adventure are what it finds so interesting.

There are plenty of directions for that relationship and story to go, some pleasant, some tragic.

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Bugbear in the Playground

It is decent! It's not trash. It has issues maybe, but experiments are like that.

Also, I keep wondering about the legality of Bruce Wayne's activities. If all of the civil utilities systems in Gotham City are officially routed into Wayne Tower...and most of the criminals are breaking his property...

Also...Thanqol? Could...um... Could I have a clump of grapes? Maybe some shadow-consistency practice for you? Nothing dark...

5. - Top - End - #1295

Quote Originally Posted by Story Time View Post
    It is decent! It's not trash. It has issues maybe, but experiments are like that.
    I'm fighting against imaginary perfect me and he's a jerk.

Also, I keep wondering about the legality of Bruce Wayne's activities. If all of the civil utilities systems in Gotham City are officially routed into Wayne Tower...and most of the criminals are breaking his property...
    I'm just surprised he never started his own private security company.

(Also if criminals break a company's property then they get the police to enforce it; the company doesn't have a right to beat up the criminals. Vigilantism is illegal for very good reasons)

Also...Thanqol? Could...um... Could I have a clump of grapes? Maybe some shadow-consistency practice for you? Nothing dark...

Sure! As soon as I finish superhero week it's the first thing on the list!

6. - Top - End - #1296

Day 352: Memories Of Gotham

I legitimately forgot how much I love silhouettes.

Just some relaxing fun after a high brainuse day.

Links

Time: 15 minutes
    Music: Pacing The Cage

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Troll in the Playground

Vigilantism is illegal for very good reasons)
    Yes that's not really something superhero comics want to dwell too much on, go figure.
    (Unless of course they can make some heavy handed character arc about it oin wich the character woillinvariably prooved right because (s)he is just that moraly justified. Marvel 's pretty fond of that as far as I can tell.)

And very nice work on both the silhouete and the background.
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2012-05-04 at 05:07 AM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

8. - Top - End - #1298

Quote Originally Posted by smuchmuch View Post
    Yees that's not really something superhero comics want to dwell too much on, go figure.
    I hear they had a civil war about it.

And very nice work on both the silhouete and the background.
    Thanks!

9. - Top - End - #1299

I legitimately forgot how much I love silhouettes.

Just some relaxing fun after a high brainuse day.

Links

Time: 15 minutes
    Music: Pacing The Cage
    Silhouettes are simple things, but can look very good if they're done right. Here, everything seems done right. Very well done.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

10. - Top - End - #1300

I'm fighting against imaginary perfect me and he's a jerk.
    I laughed for thirty minutes over this sentence! Hard! Thanks, Thanqol.

Oooo! I had to turn out the lights for this one. It's very good. Part of how great it is relates to Thanqol's stated word of, "Gotham," outside of the piece itself. That causes the audience to draw a connection to Bruce Wayne. Without that, it might be a confusing piece.

Good silhouette-ship!

11. - Top - End - #1301

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    Silhouettes are simple things, but can look very good if they're done right. Here, everything seems done right. Very well done.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Story Time View Post
    I laughed for thirty minutes over this sentence! Hard! Thanks, Thanqol.
    Glad I could entertain ^^

Oooo! I had to turn out the lights for this one. It's very good. Part of how great it is relates to Thanqol's stated word of, "Gotham," outside of the piece itself. That causes the audience to draw a connection to Bruce Wayne. Without that, it might be a confusing piece.

Good silhouette-ship!
    Thank you!

Day 353: Looking Down

Trying something really complicated and detailed. Might be a few days on this particular piece. Having a lot of fun with it so far, but it's time consuming! Very, very incomplete.

Links

Time: 45 minutes
    Music: Lithium

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Troll in the Playground

Since it's coming up soon, I'm curious if you've got plans for the one year anniversary of your drawthread. A straight 365 days of no excuses is impressive.

DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1303

Since it's coming up soon, I'm curious if you've got plans for the one year anniversary of your drawthread. A straight 365 days of no excuses is impressive.
    366 days. It was a leap year.

And yes, I'm planning to start a new thread with fanfare and organisation and everything! As far as art goes, I dunno. Hopefully something nice. Maybe with mountains.

Day 354: Khoyshekh

I had a lot of trouble coming up with Stephanie's Mien. I think I finally managed it though. This is a high Wyrd/powered True Form deal; lesser variations of this can be added to the humaniform.

Also closing in on a musical feel for her. It's tough; she feels kind of borrowed, background, incidental - yet also upbeat, aggressive. I'm tending towards music with flow, grace, and coldness. Schism is a good example.

Links

Time: 2 hours
    Music: Schism

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Troll in the Playground

And yes, I'm planning to start a new thread with fanfare and organisation and everything! As far as art goes, I dunno. Hopefully something nice. Maybe with mountains.
    Mountains are nice. I like mountains...

I had a lot of trouble coming up with Stephanie's Mien. I think I finally managed it though. This is a high Wyrd/powered True Form deal; lesser variations of this can be added to the humaniform.

Also closing in on a musical feel for her. It's tough; she feels kind of borrowed, background, incidental - yet also upbeat, aggressive. I'm tending towards music with flow, grace, and coldness. Schism is a good example.

Links

This is looking pretty cool! Very nice colors.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1305

Mountains are nice. I like mountains...

This is looking pretty cool! Very nice colors.
    Thank you!

Day 355: Barked Contract

Virtually no time today. Will have even less over the next two days. Did slightly more than this one picture here but this is the only one I'll inflict on your eyes.

A shot-in-the-dark concept sketch for Raz's changeling. Raz, if you lurk here, what do you think? Less anthro-ness? Different style?

Links

Time: 20 minutes total sketching
    Music: In The End

16. - Top - End - #1306
    Banned

The Dark One swallow you sideways and blow a vein passing you! Do you know what adding visual corroboration to a game will do to me before I play it?

ARGLEBARGLERARGH

Every time I see something I cannot immediately do because of this damned, blessed hoof sling... I suppose this is what developing character feels like?

Day 353: Looking Down

Trying something really complicated and detailed. Might be a few days on this particular piece. Having a lot of fun with it so far, but it's time consuming! Very, very incomplete.

Links

Music: Lithium
    Very nice. Knew as soon as I saw the title what I would see, even the time of day. Angle was different though. Looking forward to the end result.

Not letting anything slide on this one, huh? It would be braggery, were it not true! Here's to all that's come and many more besides.

Links

Interesting. There is a lot of jayden there. In both the poise and the griffon-esque features. Was that an intentional parallel?

I must confess now to some trepidation. I fear being held up to your supply of character, art and knowledge and being found wanting. Though I can probably make that work for me...

-

And looking at the Raz one, I have a frission of potential understanding. I think I can pinpoint the problem you're having stylistically with feminine faces, but... Well, it's in a form that tends to bypass your ability to make it sound like reasonable English. I will chip away and see if I can streamline it.

As an aside, the idea I had (and tried myself; mixed results) was to get ahold of, say, an Avon magazine, or a makeup catalogue. Find a face and then dissect it.

I found a woman with an unfortunately massive chin his by lighting and tilt of her head. I could a beautiful lipstick model, perfect cheeks, lips and chin, artfully hiding snaggleteeth. I found dozens of different presentations of style and structure, all feminine, and all faces. Something potentially worth looking into.

17. - Top - End - #1307

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    The Dark One swallow you sideways and blow a vein passing you! Do you know what adding visual corroboration to a game will do to me before I play it?

ARGLEBARGLERARGH

Every time I see something I cannot immediately do because of this damned, blessed hoof sling... I suppose this is what developing character feels like?
    Oh, I've got a story for you about building character.

Mage tabletop, Jayden's game. Diogenes, the party Mastigos, was getting everyone Christmas presents.

Jayden got his entire, extensive, vinyl music collection, probably worth several thousand dollars.

Worhol got his vision taken away with Mind magic.

Blue got nothing. Not even talked to, or looked at, or really acknowledged throughout Christmas. "The gift of disappointment."

Worhol: Guys. Guys. I'm blind.
    Diogenes: Merry Christmas!
    W: You did this?
    D: I thought it'd help you build character. Experience the world from a different perspective.
    W: I see.
    D: You're welcome.
    W: How long until your birthday?
    D: Hmm?
    Humphrey: March 5th!
    W: Very good. I'll see about helping you build some character of your own.

Diogenes woke up the next day with NINETY FIVE DAYS painted above his bed in, big, red letters. The next day it was down to NINETY FOUR DAYS.

Not letting anything slide on this one, huh? It would be braggery, were it not true! Here's to all that's come and many more besides.
    Please hold your applause until the end.

Interesting. There is a lot of jayden there. In both the poise and the griffon-esque features. Was that an intentional parallel?
    No, actually. Stephanie's a complicated one in terms of thought pattern. She's got elements from all three of my core ones, bits and pieces from dozens of stories collected all around her. My base process for thinking about her still has a lot of Charger to it, but that's shifting. She could well wind up a unique pattern.

As far as the visual design, no. A lot of it was emergent; the initial, thick purple lines were kind of splashed down semi-randomly and the detail work kind of chistled the rest of the detail out. I knew what I was going for but not what I was going to get, if that makes sense?

I must confess now to some trepidation. I fear being held up to your supply of character, art and knowledge and being found wanting. Though I can probably make that work for me...
    Come at me, bro.

And looking at the Raz one, I have a frission of potential understanding. I think I can pinpoint the problem you're having stylistically with feminine faces, but... Well, it's in a form that tends to bypass your ability to make it sound like reasonable English. I will chip away and see if I can streamline it.

As an aside, the idea I had (and tried myself; mixed results) was to get ahold of, say, an Avon magazine, or a makeup catalogue. Find a face and then dissect it.

I found a woman with an unfortunately massive chin his by lighting and tilt of her head. I could a beautiful lipstick model, perfect cheeks, lips and chin, artfully hiding snaggleteeth. I found dozens of different presentations of style and structure, all feminine, and all faces. Something potentially worth looking into.
    Right. Will give it a look.

Tonight's pictures in a bit once I've taken the photographs and responded to everything.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-05-08 at 07:19 AM.

18. - Top - End - #1308

Day 356: The Best Pointless Session

Tonight's session of Mage was the best session I've had where nothing happened.

Jayden got a new tie (brown, full length), and a new Shadow Name (221B). Blue and a bunch of naked homeless men chased down riderless motorcycles and tore them to bits with their bare teeth. No one tried to kill us. It was a happy holiday season.

Links
    And Two

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Titan in the Playground

Mage tabletop, Jayden's game. Diogenes, the party Mastigos, was getting everyone Christmas presents.

Jayden got his entire, extensive, vinyl music collection, probably worth several thousand dollars.

Worhol got his vision taken away with Mind magic.

Blue got nothing. Not even talked to, or looked at, or really acknowledged throughout Christmas. "The gift of disappointment."

Worhol: Guys. Guys. I'm blind.
    Diogenes: Merry Christmas!
    W: You did this?
    D: I thought it'd help you build character. Experience the world from a different perspective.
    W: I see.
    D: You're welcome.
    W: How long until your birthday?
    D: Hmm?
    Humphrey: March 5th!
    W: Very good. I'll see about helping you build some character of your own.

Diogenes woke up the next day with NINETY FIVE DAYS painted above his bed in, big, red letters. The next day it was down to NINETY FOUR DAYS.
    Jayden had enough character already then? xD
    What happened on his birthday?
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

20. - Top - End - #1310

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    It could have been because Jayden knows how to counter Mind magic.

I'll let you know!

21. - Top - End - #1311

Day 357: Dust And Height

Finished this thing from before because brain is blank as far as visual design goes right now. It's okay. Not great, but tired and reaching the point where I didn't want to spend much more time on it.

Links

Music: The Summer Wind

22. - Top - End - #1312
    Titan in the Playground

I'll let you know!
    Hee. Please do.

Day 357: Dust And Height

Finished this thing from before because brain is blank as far as visual design goes right now. It's okay. Not great, but tired and reaching the point where I didn't want to spend much more time on it.

Links
    I'm really really liking your landscapey things.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Ohhhh heeey it's you!
    Ohhhh heeey I never actually posted that did I? Huh.

Yeah, that backfired on me pretty hard XD

I'll let you know!
    Good stuff.

Interesting point on her. I suppose it was dumb of me to not think part of Thnqol would show up in a thanqol character.

I like the landscape. It's pretty.

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Ohhhh heeey it's you!
    Ohhhh heeey I never actually posted that did I? Huh.
    Posted what? O_o

25. - Top - End - #1315

Day 358: Legendary

Took an attempt at drawing Amy Acre, a NPC from my Waiting For Rain game (don't worry about spoilers). Succeeded in a big way - I'm very happy with this and the form I used to draw this. It's a deliberate avoidance of detail perfectionism. Will almost certainly colour this.

Ignore that one hand, it'll be covered by SFX

Links

Time: 1 hour
    Music: Party With Pinkie [VIP]
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-05-10 at 02:03 AM.

26. - Top - End - #1316

Day 358: Legendary

Took an attempt at drawing Amy Acre, a NPC from my Waiting For Rain game (don't worry about spoilers). Succeeded in a big way - I'm very happy with this and the form I used to draw this. It's a deliberate avoidance of detail perfectionism. Will almost certainly colour this.

Ignore that one hand, it'll be covered by SFX

Links

Music: Party With Pinkie [VIP]
    That's pretty good. Very much your style, avoids just about all of your previous errors, so I have only one thing I can point out that isn't part of how you normally draw things. The right arm (holding the staff) is too long, specifically the upper arm portion is too long, even with that pose the elbow should be higher. Right now it looks as if the shoulder is at the, er, protruding mammary gland. In all other respects, looking good. (it also looks as if that arm has three joints, but that's a minor effect)
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------

27. - Top - End - #1317

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    That's pretty good. Very much your style, avoids just about all of your previous errors, so I have only one thing I can point out that isn't part of how you normally draw things. The right arm (holding the staff) is too long, specifically the upper arm portion is too long, even with that pose the elbow should be higher. Right now it looks as if the shoulder is at the, er, protruding mammary gland. In all other respects, looking good. (it also looks as if that arm has three joints, but that's a minor effect)
    Trivial fix, updated. Thank you

28. - Top - End - #1318

Trivial fix, updated. Thank you
    Yep, that's a lot more life-like. Very interested to see how it'll look shaded/colored.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Titan in the Playground

I really need to watch Babylon 5.
    Yes. Yes you really, really do, if you've never seen it.

On top of the brilliant characterisation, drama, humour and plot, it has some of the most intense starship battles I've ever seen. I mean literally edge-of-your-seat, even-though-you've-known-what-happens-for-twenty-years intense.

(That's just about my highest praise.)

Also, that One Moment with Vir Coto (in season four). I won't say more, so as not to spoil it, but there's One Moment that makes the entire series worthwhile for that moment alone. You'll know it when you see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol
    Day 340: Easy As Lying

Pony Season 2 spoilers.

First thing that came to mind during the episode.

Links

Time: 1 hour 15 mins
    Music: Princess Mi Amore Cadenza & Shining Armour
    And now I see what you meant.

Easy as Lying is going to be very interesting...
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-05-10 at 08:06 AM.

30. - Top - End - #1320

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    And now I see what you meant.

Easy as Lying is going to be very interesting...
    With any luck!

Day 359: Learning The Ropes

This picture was a revelation. In terms of style, in terms of basic technique. I finally learned a new method for doing linework that's amazing. I finally learned to stop sweating the small stuff and trying to get my pictures pixel-perfect. I broke a whole bunch of time consuming and useless habits. And I made something cool along the way.

Today was a success.

Links

Music: Learning The Ropes
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-05-11 at 12:46 AM.