New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: MERC XVIII: Affordable Misdeeds and Friendly Canines

[Outside the Base]

"I mean I said that but thinking about it, it might be nice if I had someone to complain to who had all the problems I have. And uh, maybe you could figure out some outfits that would actually look good on me. You're a fashionable, uh, lady." he blinks as the dragon changes again.
    "Uh, no worries. It's safe with me."
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

2. - Top - End - #272
    Halfling in the Playground

[Outside the Base]

"Sorry Sam, I guess all the shifting can be a little confusing? Sylvess doesn't like staying out much. There's a lot of places that aren't dragon-sized, and people tend to gawk at him because dragons." People tend to gawk at Lucy because she wears ridiculous outfits. There's no way that dress of hers is comfortable! "I dunno if I'm all that fashionable, Sam. I just found something that worked and rolled with it. But I'm sure we can play dress-up later and figure out something that works for you. A lot of it really is just the confidence thing though. It's much easier to look good to others if you like how you look. We can work on it later, okay? Now c'mon!" She grabs for his hand to try and drag him off towards the base. Enough talking! It's time for action! And then talking to other people!
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Devixer View Post
    Outside - Cassidy and Charity

"Boy, if that ain't the runner life." Cass cackles as she walks alongside Charity, hands firmly planted in her pockets. "You'll make it. People here usually find a way to get their living. Y'know, the other day I met a guy selling paintings of fractal sets, made with insects. Don't know how he pays his bills. You've got a better skillset than that, at least."

"... yeah, I'd say I do," Charity says, surprised, "Damn, that's just confusing. how does he even do that?"
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Barbarian in the Playground

Outside - Chassidy and Charity

"Beats the hell out of me! Guess that's why I'm not cut out to be an artist." Cassidy shrugs, grinning at Charity. "But hey, it takes all kinds in the Nexus. You'll get used to it. Maybe." She shrugs. "Dunno, though."

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

[Outside - Chassidy and Charity]

"So, know any good bars around here?" the half-demon asks, nudging Cassidy, "I feel like celebrating having work."
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Barbarian in the Playground

Cassidy laughs, nudging Charity right back. "Do I know any good bars, she says, like I'm a runner not worth my bullets. Most of the ones over in inside are crap, but there's a couple that are worth your time. There's Trog's, which has good stuff but..." She wobbles her hand a little. "That whole rustic thing they've got going just isn't my cup of soy. There's also the Black Dragon's Den, same town. Good drinks, good if you're looking for fights."

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nova_Eclipse View Post
    [An Epic Quest?]

A somewhat familiar figure arrives at the gate, accompanied this time by a centauress. Corvus was just here yesterday, but since Willa knows Kirk, and he might have info on where to start their search for some living wood, here they are. He looks to Willa and grins.

"Here we are. Shall I knock, or would you like to?"
    Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    [An Epic Quest]

Willa shivers. This kind of mountain is no place for a horse-person.
    "I dunno. I don't think it matters." she says, though she knocks anyway.
    [An Epic Quest]

Kirk just happens to be nearby, so why not answer the door. He does just that, pulling the door open to look at the two. "You've reached Merc." Provided they look like they got to the right place, he'll make way for them to get out of the cold.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Dipsnig's Office]

Dipsnig steeples his fingers and peers at Fade above them.

"Curious. I've never suspected this sort of ambition in you. The issue here is that I expect different things from my senior officers than I do from my regular mercenaries. They represent me and MERC and speak on our behalf. Negotiate with clients and business partners. It requires business sense and social awareness."
    [Dipsnig's Office]

Fade doesn't change in expression as allways.

"I see." He replies "I will improve those skills then. But I guess my other case might rise up to be a problem. You may remember the eclips a year or more ago? Some of my shadows went wild in that time and i was able to pin down their locations. I recently met a leader of Vigil and came to tell him about it. I assume it doesn't represent MERC well if a senior member asks another org to clean his 'mess', right?"
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnrlshrimp View Post
    [Outside the Base]

"Sorry Sam, I guess all the shifting can be a little confusing? Sylvess doesn't like staying out much. There's a lot of places that aren't dragon-sized, and people tend to gawk at him because dragons." People tend to gawk at Lucy because she wears ridiculous outfits. There's no way that dress of hers is comfortable! "I dunno if I'm all that fashionable, Sam. I just found something that worked and rolled with it. But I'm sure we can play dress-up later and figure out something that works for you. A lot of it really is just the confidence thing though. It's much easier to look good to others if you like how you look. We can work on it later, okay? Now c'mon!" She grabs for his hand to try and drag him off towards the base. Enough talking! It's time for action! And then talking to other people!
    MERC Base

Sam will take the lead after a few moments of being dragged. He'll lead her to the office to see who's there and get her a license.

10. - Top - End - #280

Quote Originally Posted by Nova_Eclipse View Post
    [Moonwell Investigation]

A blue beam streaks down out of the sky and materializes into a pair of female figures just outside the edge of the base's teleportation shield. One is Electra, wearing her standard armor, while the other is Astrana, who may be carrying a snake. Electra saunters towards the base, still trying to get her fingers to wake up by shaking her hands on occasion, like she's trying to flick water off of them. She's oddly quiet, though perhaps that's just because she's preoccupied with her hands.
    [Moonwell Investigation]

"Does it hurt?" Astrana asks as she glances at Electra. Its hard to tell if her interest have been piqued out of empathy, or simply from scholarly interest.
    "You came in contact with the waters, didn't you?"

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

[MERC Lobby]

As it turns out, in the lobby behind the door is the diminutive leader of MERC himself. When he saw Sam approach with someone he didn't recognize, he thought it might be a client or prospective new employee. There's a female wolf with him, accompanied by two very young cubs.

"Sam. Who is it that you've brought with you?"
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

MERC Lobby

Sam smiles at the cubs and has to restrain himself from giggling. He has been growled at by wolf mothers before and knows not to approach them.
    ”Hello, Sir. This is my friend, Lucy. She’s new to the Nexus so I wanted to get her a license so she could get some work and information on things. Lucy, this is my boss, Dipsnig Razortooth.”

13. - Top - End - #283

[MERC Lobby]

First impressions can count for a lot. It's probably a good idea to convince Dipsnig that she's a capable, competent-

Nope, too late, Lucy has been distracted by the wolves. She barely notices what Dipsnig and Sam are saying as she's pulled inexorably towards the wolves, crouching down slightly as she approaches the presumably-mother-wolf. "Sam! You didn't tell me there were tame wolves here!" She offers a hand towards the wolf to sniff, "Hello there. Can I say hi to your little cubs?"

Oh right! She's meant to be getting a license or something! "O-oh, yes, hello there Mister Razortooth, sir! Are these your wolves?"
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

[Dipsnig's Office]

Dipsnig looks at Fade, raising his eyebrow as one of his ears perks up.

"Not particularly, no. Why did you go to Vigil with this instead of telling me about it?"

[MERC Lobby]

The young wolves are both curious and wary of the odd-smelling big person, while their mother steps forward, sniffing at Lucy while at the same time staying between her and her cubs protectively.

Dipsnig's expression is meanwhile impassive. He's used to people gushing over his wolves, and it's not like he planned to have those two here. But the squirmy little pups got out of the beast pens.

"Those are mine, yes. This is Kralk, and her two cubs who don't have names yet," he says before getting to business. "A license is easy enough to get. We just need your name and contact information."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

MERC Lobby

Sam shakes his head.
    ”Well I need to convince her to get a phone. Right now she doesn’t have any contact information besides ‘temporarily living with Chef Bacon.’” he admits.

16. - Top - End - #286

[MERC Lobby]

"Uh, yeah, what Sam said. I guess I'm sort of his roomie now? I dunno, something like that." Hoping Kralk is convinced that she's a nice enough person from her smell, Lucy tries to gently stroke her with one hand and cautiously, perhaps a little optimistically reaches down with her other hand to see if the cubs feel brave enough to come have a sniff.

Of course if Kralk objects to anything, she'll back off.

"B-but my name is easy enough to give to you! Lucy Lehrenn, at your service!"

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

[MERC Lobby]

Kralk is stroked, but unfortunately with her pups so young and away from their pen, she's very protective of them and won't let Lucy come near. Even though the cubs look like they'd want her to.

"Charmed," Dipsnig says, his ears twitching. "We get people with little to no contact information frequently. If she stays as your... roomie, as you put it, and can be contacted through you, this should be enough for a start."

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

[MERC Lobby]

"Alright. I can fill out the paperwork if you want, Boss. How about you tell Mr. Razortooth about one of your skills, Lucy? I'll put it on your file." Sam offers, desperate for Lucy to show some degree of competence in front of his boss.

19. - Top - End - #289

[MERC Lobby]

"Oh, sorry Kralk, I understand. They are quite young, aren't they? I like to think I'd be taking good care of them too if I were in your paws." Lucy smiles at the wolf, apparently determined to keep pretending they're having a conversation for as long as she can.

Oh, but Sam wants a demonstration, right? "Uh, yeah, sure! I can do that."

Lucy takes a few steps back and peers intently at Dipsnig, rubbing her chin thoughtfully as she takes a reeeeal good look at him.

It's remarkably quick when it happens as Lucy abruptly shifts in size and shape, shrinking down as he takes on the guise of MERC's leader, clothes and all. Being a bit of a rushed job, there's a few things that are slightly off, the colours perhaps aren't exactly spot-on, the jawline isn't quite right, but it's a remarkably good on-the-spot impersonation of Dipsnig. Take a few paces back, put them side by side and you'd be hard-pressed to tell them apart! "Well?" Again, Dipsnig will be able to pick up on a slight difference in tone, but the voice is pretty close too. "What do you think?"

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

[MERC Lobby]

Dipsnig's eyes narrow and his ears perk up as Lucy takes his shape. Kralk growls in confusion as a replica of her master shows up, and the pups whimper quietly.

"Impressive," the goblin simply says. "Though my wolves seem to be nervous. What kind of shapeshifter are you?"

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

Merc Lobby

Sam smiles, relieved that Lucy has proven her usefulness. He goes about filling out her paperwork for her.

22. - Top - End - #292

[MERC Lobby]

Oop, let's not upset the wolves! the duplicate-Dipsnig swiftly shifts back to Lucy. "Sorry Kralk!"

Hopefully that's enough to calm them down, right? Probably not, but oh well.

"Well, I can only shift into person-y forms, so I'm not one of the fancy ones who could turn into a wolf and confuse poor Kralk and her pups even more. But I'm quite precise with my shifts, especially if I can take a little more time on it than I did there. More sorta quality over forms over quantity of forms, I guess?" Lucy shrugs, hopefully that explanation works for Dipsnig.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

[MERC Lobby]

Dipsnig knows when someone is doing their best not to give him a straight answer, but he decides to let it slide. This doesn't seem like a secret that he needs to dredge up.

"Fair enough, I suppose. If Sam is finished with the paperwork, we can issue your license."

Kralk and the pups calm down, but observe Lucy warily.

24. - Top - End - #294

NinjaGuy

[An Epic Quest]

Corvus gestures for Willa to enter first. His hardy physiology means the cold doesn't bother him as much. He doesn't know what Kirk looks like, so his recognition of the MERC lieutenant isn't going to register unless Willa says something first He'll simply nod at the man as he follows Willa inside.

[Moonwell Investigation]

Electra shrugs.

"I couldn't help getting my fingers a bit wet. I thought my armor's gloves would provide some shielding, but I guess their sensory connection must've passed the effect on. They're numb, but they don't hurt. I might have to run some diagnostics; it might've just tripped something somewhere else."
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

25. - Top - End - #295

[Moonwell Investigation]

"Peculiar. I'm already pulling overtime right now, but I should probably have a look at that once you done your diagnosis. It appears to be carrying a faint magical aura, and it might just get worse if we don't do anything about it." The warlock remarks as she holds up her bone necklace close to Electra's hands, the bones move ever so slightly.

26. - Top - End - #296

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Dipsnig's Office]

Dipsnig looks at Fade, raising his eyebrow as one of his ears perks up.

"Not particularly, no. Why did you go to Vigil with this instead of telling me about it?"

[MERC Lobby]

The young wolves are both curious and wary of the odd-smelling big person, while their mother steps forward, sniffing at Lucy while at the same time staying between her and her cubs protectively.

Dipsnig's expression is meanwhile impassive. He's used to people gushing over his wolves, and it's not like he planned to have those two here. But the squirmy little pups got out of the beast pens.

"Those are mine, yes. This is Kralk, and her two cubs who don't have names yet," he says before getting to business. "A license is easy enough to get. We just need your name and contact information."
    [Dipsnig's Office]

"It was just a coincidence. I didn t go for it directly and I didn't mention it here because I don t have the resources to hire MERC right now." Fade replies. "I can t go for them by myself after all. They would know i m close."
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

MERC Lobby

”Yep, here you go!” Sam declares, holding out the completed form to Lucy and/or Dipsnig.
    His handwriting is not the best.

An epic Quest

Willa goes up to the door and tries to seem professional.
    ”We were given a mission by Miss Dena. We’re looking for information on the drow lore she has us looking for.” she declares to the “doorman.”

28. - Top - End - #298

[MERC Lobby]

Lucy peers at the form and nods. Looks good to her!

She's never filled out a form in her life so she has no idea what counts as a "good form" but it definitely looks good. Yup. No way Sam just sold her soul away or anything.

"Aww, I think I spooked the wolves a bit, Dipsnig. Oh, so, um, I've just kinda been following Sam around and doing what he suggested because it sounded like a good idea, but I probably don't know aaaall the details. So what exactly can I do or not-do once I've got a license?"

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

[An Epic Quest]

Once the two are inside, Kirk quickly closes the door behind them. No use letting all the heat out. "Dena sent you, eh? And what'd she tell you that you'd learn here?"
    Last edited by Gullara; 2018-07-21 at 05:05 PM.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

[MERC Lobby]

"They're not exactly equipped to realize that someone who looks and smells as I do isn't actually me," Dipsnig says. "As MERC license holder, you can take any mercenary and adventuring jobs you want. You give us a cut of your profits and in return you get discounts in Trogs', Black Dragon's Den, Bloodsong's, Erin's Emporium and Azik's Enchantments. You're also entitled to protection from dishonest clients. What you can't do is work with known slavers."